New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Kingdom of Arim I (IC)

Anthony almost laughs at the struggling templar, after barking orders that basically reiterate what he said the young pup looks silly struggling against a door. Moving beside the young one, Anthony throws his weight into the door.

Spoiler
    Show

strength check (1d20+3)[6]
    at the very least I will be as successful as Darius XD... this may take a while lol

"Bloody, why are we trying to open the door like this? Has anyone thought to try the door handle?"
    Last edited by Morbis Meh; 2012-08-21 at 10:03 AM.
    Blarg...

2. - Top - End - #122
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Laughing, Alexis gives it a go as well, because she can't really do any worse than the others
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20)[12]
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

3. - Top - End - #123
    Barbarian in the Playground

Tulkar sputters a series of defiant words under his breath when told to stop arguing, but complies. He sulks for a bit, and it is clear to see on his face.
    His only response to Darius is a not, but he takes the helmet nevertheless, and dons it on his head.

When asked to, Tulkar steps forward silently, and looks at his companions. He meant it as a look of "get out of the way," or "anyone want to give me a hand so I can get a plus two on this check" look, but it could well be interpreted as channeled rage and hatred towards the group. With the deformed half-orc jawline, it can be so hard to tell sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tulkar attempts to open the door as well; my roll will actually be in the dice thread
    Last edited by AvocadoAvenger; 2012-08-21 at 11:47 AM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Orc in the Playground

As he observes this, Tamni'el let out a chuckle upon seeing the two warriors' attempts at getting the door open. He felt like he could give it a shot as well, seeing if he can get the door open.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    By "two warriors' attempts" I was referring to Anthony and Darius, and their low strength checks :P Also gonna post in Dice Roller
    Spoiler
    Show
    Elhand - The King's Dilemma
    Gradak - Everwinter
    Jamben - Burning Plague
    Borkan - Voldur Campaign
    Tamni'el - Kingdom of Arim

5. - Top - End - #125
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

With the group throwing their weight into it, the door groans and resists, before popping open with a sharp crack. Light spills in from outside, revealing the room inside. You all pause for a moment, listening, but nothing seems to have heard the door. Stepping forward, you're able to take a look around.

The room is quite large - nearly forty feet on a side, if you're any judge. There are brick cooking ovens, tables for the preparation of food, and cooking pits, many still hung with rusting kettles, everywhere. If that wasn't enough clues, the film of grease that still covers everything would convince you this was the kitchen.

There's two other doors in the room, both closed; one lies in the west wall, the other opposite it in the east wall.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Watching all the strength rolls was pretty funny. Especially when the elf with the bow and arrows came out ahead.
    Spoiler
    Show
    God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players (i.e. everyone), to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.

- "Good Omens"

6. - Top - End - #126

GreenSorcererElf

Seeing that there is no threat in the room, Alexis checks that there are no unpleasant surprises in the room, before heading over to the west door, and investigating it.

Before she starts checking, "There may be traps here. Kobolds love trapping things. I will check for them."
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-08-21 at 09:57 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

7. - Top - End - #127
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Alexis' diligent search of the room reveals no traps.

The door set in the west wall is in much better condition then the door leading outside, and appears to be unlocked.
    Spoiler
    Show
    God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players (i.e. everyone), to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.

- "Good Omens"

8. - Top - End - #128
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Still playfully amused by the show of strength, or lack thereof, while trying to pry the door open, Uriell maintained a straight, emotionless face. Upon heading into the room, Uriell holds up the light to try and illuminate the room the best he can.

Seeing Alexis finish her search without indicating any traps, Uriell lowers the lamp, and places it on a nearby table.

"So two doors, East and West it would seem, any suggestions on direction?"
    Surprise inside!
    Spoiler
    Show

Click 'em all!

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Berin - A Two Rivers Archer
    Uriell - A Druid
    Robb - The Scruffy Scout

9. - Top - End - #129

Anthony looks at each door then shrugs "Well it is still morning so if we go east there is a chance of better light in that room?"
    Blarg...

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ettin in the Playground

Darius nods in agreement, "It doesn't especially matter which way we go, Anthony's reason is as good as any for us to head Eastward."

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, Summer Rose, and Firebrand by me

11. - Top - End - #131

GreenSorcererElf

"Seems a good enough reason for me as well"

Alexis heads over to the east door and has a look at it.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

12. - Top - End - #132
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Putting your ear to the door, you can hear nothing on the other side. A quick inspection confirms that there are no traps apparent, and that it's unlocked. All that remains is to pass through it.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Crap. Sorry guys, I meant to drop Alexis a note, forgot. For speeds sake, when you search a room for traps, I'm assuming you also check the doors leading out of said room (the visible ones at least). So as far as I was concerned, the door had already been checked.

For future reference, if you search a room for traps, I assume you search the doors as well. I do NOT assume that you search each item in the room (like say, a chest). Same goes when searching for loot - if you search the room, you check everything in it, and will be alerted to containers, but you don't search the containers themselves. Dead bodies are considered containers in this sense.
    Spoiler
    Show

- "Good Omens"

13. - Top - End - #133

Anthony steps through the door, his massive axe at the ready and his armor creaking.
    Blarg...

14. - Top - End - #134

GreenSorcererElf

"It would appear that these are some odd kobolds. The door appears to be clear of threats, and I can detect nothing on the other side. We may as well proceed."

Seeing Anthony heading through the door, Alexis follows, with her bow at the ready.
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-08-24 at 09:21 AM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

15. - Top - End - #135

Tulkar follows through with the rest of the group. He bears his arms as well, and is mentally preparing to invoke his hexblade curse again. He idly tosses his throwing axe just high enough to spit it a full rotation and catches it, a habit he has become fond of in the past few hours.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Orc in the Playground

Keeping his wits about him, Tamni'el also followed through, pulling his bow out as he awaited for any possible moment when the goblins would attack. "That may be, but they may potentially have some surprises in store for us, some we may not notice until we walk right into them." He then began to pay attention to the surroundings, to see if he could hear or see anything in the room.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gradak - Everwinter
    Jamben - Burning Plague
    Borkan - Voldur Campaign

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

Darius was last through the door, making sure nothing entered the room behind them while they were in there. His movements were regrettably loud on the floor beneath them. They'd have to rely upon ferocity in combat rather than trying to sneak around any fights.

"Nothing's followed us in from behind."

He closes the door they just walked through. With luck, if anything had been watching them outside, they'd only have a 50/50 chance of following them through the correct door. Turning around to face the room, the bell on his weapon jingling softly as he did so, he took in the scene before him. Scanning for potential threats.

Show

18. - Top - End - #138
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Moving through the door, you find yourself in the dining hall Alexis had seen earlier through the windows. Most of the furniture in this large room has been reduced to splinters or is missing, but there's a bit left. Judging by the soot in the large fireplace that fills the east wall, some of the missing tables probably ended up as wood for more recent inhabitants.

The room has many doors leading out from it, in addition to the one you entered in, which appears to be the smallest - probably a servants entrance. There's two doors each in the south and north walls, opposite each other, and large double doors set in the center of the west wall.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Here's a map, showing the outline of the building (you walked around it after all) as well as where you've been.

I'll also take suggestions on how to speed things up, since room by room searches can take forever. When you spend a day between them.
    Spoiler
    Show

- "Good Omens"

19. - Top - End - #139

GreenSorcererElf

Upon entering the room, Alexis searches it. Assuming that there were no traps detected, she heads to one of the doors in the north, checks it for traps, and opens it. If the doors there lead to different rooms, she will repeat the procedure on the other door. Assuming no kobolds in these rooms, she will check them for interesting things as well.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

20. - Top - End - #140
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Through the north door, the room is mostly empty, save for a few mostly rotted heads mounted on the wall. You're fairly certain that this used to be a smoking room for the men of the house; even after all these years, the faint smell of tobacco clings to the walls.

The only doors into this room are the ones on the south wall, leading back into the Dining Hall. A search for traps reveals none, but while checking the room, you do find something of slight interest. Hidden behind the wood paneling on one wall is a small sideboard, filled with bottles that once held alcohols. They're now all empty, except one in the back that remained sealed. Unfortunately, you can't be sure of the contents, since it bears to label. Perhaps a mystery for later, or a celebratory drink when the day is done.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

- "Good Omens"

21. - Top - End - #141

GreenSorcererElf

Well, this room was not interesting, but the contents were. I think I will take this drink for later use.
    Alexis then returns to the Dining Hall, and asks the others
    "I think that the south doors lead to a similar, small room, whereas the west door probably leads to kobolds, as it is the main entrance room. I will check the south doors, then we should go through the west doors prepared for combat."
    Alexis checks out the southern doors, and the room beyond.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

"Sounds like a good idea to me, I'll remain towards the rear. If anything tries to surprise us from that direction I'll be ready."

He thinks on this a little longer before continuing, "Though if the Kobold's are truly camping in the main hall, it may be best if Anthony and I take the lead there."

Show

23. - Top - End - #143

Anthony spies the bottle Alexis snagged with his one good eye Wouldn't be surprised if that was kobold piss... at the mention of his name his attention focuses on Darius "A sharp pair of eyes would also be valuable since they would have procautions set up for protecting their nest. At the very least we could act as a human shield while Alexis set about her work." Anthony then lets outs a massive bout of flatulence and quickly moves out of the impending stench cloud.
    Blarg...

24. - Top - End - #144
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Keeping a keen eye for anything suspicious, Uriell remains quiet as they search the house. Listening to everyone's suggestions, he has no qualms as of yet with their ideas.

Wondering to himself, Perhaps this is a good time to check the map, and verify our bearings.

He is about to say something when Anthony let's out a low rumble followed by a horrid stench.

As if being cattle prodded, Uriell quickly moves from behind Anthony, and even Hu whimpers as he rubs his nose trying to get the smell out.

"Well if your sounds don't alert the kobolds, that smell sure as heck will," Uriell says as he holds his nose.
    Surprise inside!
    Spoiler
    Show

Click 'em all!

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Berin - A Two Rivers Archer
    Uriell - A Druid
    Robb - The Scruffy Scout

25. - Top - End - #145

Tulkar stands around waiting for the scouts to come back, still on his guard. When Anthony farts, he takes the only reasonable action, and moves away as fast as possible. "Really?!"

26. - Top - End - #146

Anthony chuckles "Better out than in, besides its not like I just shat an ogre or anything, it's a natural body function so get over it."
    Blarg...

27. - Top - End - #147

GreenSorcererElf

"Oh Gods, what a stench. What do you eat? Rotting Beans?"
    Fort Save:(1d20)[2] Alexis vomits, splattering Anthony
    Alexis attempts to flee the smell by hurrying up on her searching.
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-08-27 at 11:57 AM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground

Seeing Alexis trying to search one of the rooms, Tamni'el figured he would help her out and move faster. Especially considering the circumstances with Anthony. "Ugh... Really now???"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gradak - Everwinter
    Jamben - Burning Plague
    Borkan - Voldur Campaign

29. - Top - End - #149

Anthony hears the splatter hit his armour and once the smell hits him he frowns "Was that really necessary? I know you elves have weak stomachs but come now and you know what I ate because it was what you cooked. Sorry if my gas isn't pine scented, I don't have a pine branch shoved up my arse like you pointy eared folk."
    Blarg...

30. - Top - End - #150

GreenSorcererElf

Alexis ignores Anthony's reply, instead focusing on her self appointed task.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss