New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Kingdom of Arim I (IC)

The room to the south turns out to be the library Alexis spotted from outside. Besides the doors leading in, there's also another door set in the west wall. Bookshelves still line the other walls, but most of the books are gone; whether they were used for kindling or taken away is more then you can say. A few dozen remain, scattered around the shelves and on the floor, though from the state of the room, they're probably more damaged then whole.

Still, Tamni'el's diligent search reveals something of interest. One of the books, less damaged than the rest, is found where it fell behind the shelves. Inside is a piece of paper with strange markings that seem to crawl across the page when you look at it.

Meanwhile, Alexis' search for traps reveals nothing. Indeed, it's starting to become odd that there are so few traps in a kobold lair. They're well know for making them after all. Unusual behavior of this sort doubtless has an answer, but none has revealed itself to you as of yet.

A quick look into the room through the west door reveals it to be empty. There's not even enough refuse for you to tell what the rooms purpose was, and a search of it reveals nothing of interest.

Having satisfied yourself that there's nothing down there, you decide to go through the large doors leading into the center of the house. Expecting an attack, you open the doors.

On the other side is the largest room you've seen yet; it would have been the Grand Hall of the “modest hunting lodge.” Larger then the houses of peasants, the room is dominated by a pair of curved staircases leading to the upper floors. Between them lies a once grand fountain, now dry and dusty. The remains of expensive wood paneling, much the worse for the wear, covers the walls, except above the fountain, where the old family crest of Ashe Wood still hangs in all it's tarnished glory.

An entrance without a door leads south, in addition to two doors in the south wall (one on either side of the entrance), a small door on the west wall, and a door in the northwest.

Alexis' search for traps in the room again reveals none, though this time she finds signs that there might have been some, rigged on the Dining Hall doors, before being removed.

Tamni'el's search proves slightly more interesting. The stairs leading up prove to be rotten to the extreme - any weight placed upon them causes them to crumble. The room reveals itself to be empty, but while listening near the northeast door, you swear you hear something inside. You couldn't say what though; perhaps it's merely your instincts as a scout.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Here is the write up for the book:

The Tower of Legend. This book is battered and covered in mold, most of it destroyed. It seems to recount the tale of a group of 5 adventurers – a Wizard, Warrior, Scout, and Monk, all elves, and a dwarven Cleric of the Sun. The book becomes unreadable only a few chapters in.

Weight: 1 Pound.
    Also contained within it is an Unidentified Magical Scroll.

In case anyone's wondering, the book is a bit of an in joke among me and some friends. We played in a campaign (I was the Elf Wizard) where the Dwarven Cleric was played by... someone of less than stellar intelligence. At one point he managed to get himself into some trouble, and convinced his "friend" the Scout to do something particularly stupid with him to get them out of it. This resulted in their near deaths and the party having to spend 75% of everything we had to rescue them. Once you figure out what's on the scroll, I'm sure you can figure out roughly what happened.

Edit: Forgot, here's the next map.
    Last edited by Keylac; 2012-08-27 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Added Map
    Spoiler
    Show
    God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players (i.e. everyone), to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.

- "Good Omens"

2. - Top - End - #152
    Orc in the Playground

With the book and scroll stored in his backpack for later investigation and all, Tamni'el eyes the door where he thought he heard noises coming from. After seeing the stairs were in no condition to be walked on, he figured it'd be wise to warn the others about it first. "I would advise against climbing these stairs. If you were to step on it, it would most likely collapse under the weight. Now, I'm not exactly sure, but I thought I heard some noises from that door..." As he stated the last sentence, about the noises he heard, he pointed towards the door he assumed the sounds came from. "My guess would be that there may be more kobolds in there... Then again, I could be hearing things. Either way, we should stay on our toes."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Elhand - The King's Dilemma
    Gradak - Everwinter
    Jamben - Burning Plague
    Borkan - Voldur Campaign
    Tamni'el - Kingdom of Arim

3. - Top - End - #153
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

This was a nice place, once. It is almost sad that it has been run down so. Still, it is odd. Nothing here but unanswered questions.

(Whispering)"It is odd that the traps here have been removed. Against kobolds, I was expecting to see traps everywhere, but there have not been any. Tamni'el, I can probably identify that scroll, if you will let me. If you are hearing things on the other side of that door, I will check it for traps, and then one of the warriors should open it."
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

Despite himself, Darius grins at the fallout from Anthony's bout of flatulence. "You know, that's not even in my top ten for worst smells"

Deciding to hang back while Alexis and Tamni'el searched the adjoining room, he idly looked around the room he was in. Once he received the all clear, he moved on, not trying to hide the noise of his movements this time.

"You know, I'm starting to think this may not be a Kobold lair at all. We've not seen any sign of them since getting inside."

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, Summer Rose, and Firebrand by me

5. - Top - End - #155
    Firbolg in the Playground

Anthony smiles "You see, no big deal, elves just have weak stomachs! As for opening doors... why do we have to do it? Not sure or your handy work are you?" His grin widens his comment meant to be a jest not a scathing comment.
    Blarg...

6. - Top - End - #156

GreenSorcererElf

"You should probably do it because there are probably enemies on the other side. I operate better at a range than in melee, whereas you are probably fairly useless at a range. Whomever opens the door will probably be attacked."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

7. - Top - End - #157
    Barbarian in the Playground

He ignored everyone's later reactions to Anthony's fart. How much this was starting to drag really annoyed Tulkar at this point. This whole place is slow and stupid, he thought to himself out of nowhere. "Lets just do this, then," Tulkar said gruffly with his patience suddenly expired. "If there's no room at the door for more than a few, i'll take the middle line as I can throw a weapon if need be." On the bright side, his sudden anger lead to just as sudden focus through desire to be done with this mission. Why didn't I bring a second throwing axe in case I want to attack from a short range again? Actually, why haven't I been carrying two all along? he would try to remember that when he got back to Arim.

8. - Top - End - #158

Anthony rolls his eyes "Fine fine, I will open the door if you're all afraid to do so, but if it's trapped you scouts owe me a drink." Axe resting on his shoulder and at the ready, Anthony opens the door.
    Blarg...

9. - Top - End - #159
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The broken furniture littering the floor leads you to believe this was a bedroom, probably for guests. Now, abandoned rats nests and strands of spiderweb fill the room. Hanging from the webs are small cocoons, perhaps holding the missing rats. Worse, hanging in one corner is a large ball of spider silk; something seems to be struggling inside of it.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, you found something. That might be good or bad, but you did find something.

Initiative Order:

Group 1: Anthony, Alexis, Darius, Uriell (and Hu)
    Group 2: Enemies
    Group 3: Tulkar, Tamni'el

Which means, Group 1, you're up.
    Spoiler
    Show
    God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players (i.e. everyone), to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.

- "Good Omens"

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

Darius moved to the front of the group as soon as the door opened, halberd at the ready. The first thing he noticed was the struggling webbed form. Grimacing at the thought of the size of a creature that could do that, he cast around to try and get an idea of where it might be hiding. Whoever, or whatever, was trapped could survive long enough for him to be sure of the danger.

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, Summer Rose, and Firebrand by me

11. - Top - End - #161
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Peering into the room from behind Darius, Uriell notices something moving on the wall. It appears to be something caught in a spider cocoon, but whether its friendly or something worse, how could anyone tell? But more importantly, what made a ball that big to house the creature inside?

Looking towards Anthony, "I bet you're thinking about opening that aren't you?"

Either way, Uriell grips his spear and awaits any possible danger. "Get ready buddy", he says to Hu, who seems tense at this moment.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Uriell will be fighting Defensively first round
    Surprise inside!
    Spoiler
    Show

Click 'em all!

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Berin - A Two Rivers Archer
    Uriell - A Druid
    Robb - The Scruffy Scout

12. - Top - End - #162

Anthony shrugs "At worst it's a kobold caught in a cacoon and we're putting it out of it's misery, at best it's an egg sac and we kill a few baby spiders to draw mama." He moves over to the large sac and swings at it, using all of his weight to cleave through the silk.
    Blarg...

13. - Top - End - #163

GreenSorcererElf

Looking around near the party, Alexis realizes that the web-makers must be nearby, and are probably quite large. She considers lighting the webs on fire, but realized that she had no fast way of doing so.
    "Watch out for the spiders, they are almost certainly here."
    Alexis readies her bow, intending to fire at a spider when it appears, while moving to be near the exit.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

14. - Top - End - #164
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

As Anthony slices through the spidersilk sack, he confirms that one of his guesses was correct. Hundreds of tiny spiders come boiling out of the hole, spreading out to cover the walls and floor near the sack. They spread up Anthony's legs, half covering him in crawling spiders, biting at his flesh, crawling under his armor, moving further up his body towards his face.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fighting a real swarm would suck. A lot.

In any case, Anthony, you take 6 damage from the swarm, and I'll let you make the Fortitude Save vs Poison (DC 11) to see if you lose 3 strength.

Alexis and Darius, you didn't spot anything else in the room. Here's a map of the room, with everyone's positions (as near as could be determined).

Group 3, you're up.

Group 3: Tulkar, Tamni'el
    Spoiler
    Show

- "Good Omens"

15. - Top - End - #165

Spoiler
    Show
    OoC well it was nice knowing you guys we are pretty much hooped since I doubt any of us have any means of doing damage other than weapons
    Blarg...

16. - Top - End - #166

Tulkar was prepared to throw his axe, but Anthony was caught in the middle, which gave him delay. Seeing how small each of the individual spiders are, he thought better of it, figuring that he couldn't really hit one to do a substantial amount of damage to the lot of them. Instead, he did the best thing he thought he could do- he took a step back to be out of the way. Also, seeing as how Anthony was in a compromising position, he shouted at his crusader companion, "Anthony! Get out of there!"

17. - Top - End - #167
    Orc in the Playground

Tamni'el just watched Anthony barge in and sighed. *The fool just ran in without thinking things through...* he thought, before hearing Tulkar calling out. Figuring that would be for the best, he also moved out of the way. "Yeah, get out of there quick!"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gradak - Everwinter
    Jamben - Burning Plague
    Borkan - Voldur Campaign

18. - Top - End - #168

Feeling his strength drained from him, Anthony limps out of the mass of spiders heading for the exit.
    Blarg...

19. - Top - End - #169

GreenSorcererElf

Seeing the others falling back, Alexis stays with them, but she does pull out a bottle of oil.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

20. - Top - End - #170
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Anthony limps away from the egg sac, shedding spiders as he goes. He reaches the door out, leaning hard on his axe as the poison saps his strength. As he passes Darius, the paladin pulls out his waterskin and dumps it over him, washing the remaining spiders off, before following past the doorway.

Alexis, Tulkar, and Tamni'el have cleared the door, ready to run or assist the others, as needed.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Okay Group 1 (those of you who haven't already gone) you're up. I'm curious as to which option you guys decide to take. Uriell/Hu and Anthony are in the doorway, everyone else is outside the room.

Oh, and I'm sorry about the late posting, Labor Day Weekend barbecue and the in person game I run delayed things a bit.
    Spoiler
    Show

- "Good Omens"

21. - Top - End - #171
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Whoops *deletes double post*.
    Last edited by Keylac; 2012-09-03 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Double Post.
    Spoiler
    Show

- "Good Omens"

22. - Top - End - #172
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Uriell backs out of the door way, and yells for Hu to retreat.

Seeing Alexis and her oil, he doesn't know if she will have time to throw it and light it, but the first priority is getting Anthony out of the room.

"Get ready to close the door after you light that fire,"
    he says as he falls back into the main room.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

If Anthony doesn't have a move before the spiders, then if he wants I will assist him out of the room as needed, since he is in the doorway too.
    Surprise inside!
    Spoiler
    Show

Click 'em all!

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Uriell - A Druid
    Robb - The Scruffy Scout

23. - Top - End - #173
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The swarm, still searching for food, move across the floor, following after Anthony as he limps away. They reach the doorway just as Uriell and Hu drag Anthony through it, clearing the way for Alexis to throw her oil flask.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tulkar and Tamni'el, you're go. Assuming neither of you do anything I have to report on, Group One can go right after.
    Spoiler
    Show

- "Good Omens"

24. - Top - End - #174
    Orc in the Playground

Upon noticing Alexis having pulled out the flask of oil, he was wondering what she was planning to do. But feeling fire was most likely involved, he began to reach a hand into his pocket, before pulling out a flint and steel. He was still unsure of her plans, but still chose to pull the items out.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gradak - Everwinter
    Jamben - Burning Plague
    Borkan - Voldur Campaign

25. - Top - End - #175

Tulkar backs up a little again, seeing the fire devices; he did not want to get burned. "Send em to hell" he says probably a little too joyously than is completely healthy.

26. - Top - End - #176

GreenSorcererElf

Seeing the spiders coming, Alexis throws the bottle of oil at them, and turns to Uriell
    "Throw the lantern, Uriell. Hopefully, that will finish them."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

27. - Top - End - #177
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Seeing Anthony had cleared the door way and the oil now splattered on the floor, Uriell holds the lantern high and brings it crashing to the floor.

He immediately jumps back to avoid any splash or sparks that might fly from the impact, and yells, "Close the door now!"
    Surprise inside!
    Spoiler
    Show

Click 'em all!

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Uriell - A Druid
    Robb - The Scruffy Scout

28. - Top - End - #178

Anthony strains as he closes the door, his breathing labored as he moved. Once the door is closed he plops down with his back to a wall, sweat running down his face.
    Blarg...

29. - Top - End - #179
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

From the other side of the door, you can hear the sound of the flames grow louder as it spreads across the oil. The crackling sounds of frying spiders accompany it, as they shrivel and burst under the heat.

It's not long before the sounds die down, the oil consumed. Thankfully, it seems the rest of the house has failed to catch fire. Smoke still leaks from around the upper corners of the door, but it seems most of that must have vented through the holes in the ceiling.

Darius, standing ready at the door in case of emergency, looks at the rest of the group before opening the door a crack and peeking in. Nodding in satisfaction, he opens the door the rest of the way. "I don't see anymore spiders. I think we're safe."

The room's appearance has changed drastically. The floor now has a large, irregular circle of burnt wood. Most of the spider webs near the flame are gone, and tiny dead spiders cover the floor. The smell hasn't improved at all either - a few of the rats hanging in webs caught fire, and the room now smells of burnt fur and charred meat.
    Last edited by Keylac; 2012-09-12 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Spoiler
    Show

- "Good Omens"

30. - Top - End - #180

GreenSorcererElf

"Anthony, you look pretty bad. Are you going to make it? I don't have any way to cure the poison, I am afraid. The best cure is probably going to be time. I hope that that got them all, as I am out of oil now."

Alexis heads into the room cautiously, keeping an eye out for any more spiders. She also searches the charred remains of the webbing, trying to find anything useful left after the fire.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss