New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Kingdom of Arim I (IC)

Seeing his companions rush into battle, Uriel shakes his head at throwing his spear.

You'll probably wind up hitting an ally in this place, he tells himself.

As he contemplated what to do, Hu could take it no longer and charges in on the monster, teeth glaring menacingly. A quick thought passes over Uriell as to how a dog so loving and compassionate at times, can so quickly become a killer. But he shakes his head as now is time for battle, not contemplation.

Whispering in druidic words, Uriell casts a blessing on Hu, as the wolfhound attacks.
    Surprise inside!
    Spoiler
    Show

Click 'em all!

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Berin - A Two Rivers Archer
    Uriell - A Druid
    Robb - The Scruffy Scout

2. - Top - End - #362
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Gyrax misses the block against Anthony's blow, gaining a wicked cut across his chest for his clumsiness. The now bloody beast staggers back slightly from the blow, regaining it's balance just in time to dodge Hu's attack from behind.

Alexis' finishes casting her spell, attempting to put the beast to sleep. Unfortunately, the monster withstands the spell without even noticing the casting.

Meanwhile, Tamni'el scrambles back to his feet, shaking off splinters of crate. Swinging his bow off his back, he notches an arrow, and waits for an opening.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nice hit there Anthony. He makes his Will Save vs sleep though, and Hu misses him.

Group 1, you're up.
    Spoiler
    Show
    God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players (i.e. everyone), to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.

- "Good Omens"

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ettin in the Playground

Darius, keeping his guard up, attempts to move into a position that will best help his allies. He feints at the self-proclaimed Tyrant, hoping to draw its attention away from an allies attack.

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, Summer Rose, and Firebrand by me

4. - Top - End - #364
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm not feeling so sturdy, Tulkar thinks. In an attempt to be out of the fire, he steps to the creatures side, allowing him and the others to flank. With that, he takes a mighty cross-swing with both of his axes.

5. - Top - End - #365

His throwing axe, striking first, lodges itself in the monster's side. Gyrax twists to try and free himself as Tulkar tried to dislodge the weapon. After a few seconds of this, Tulkar gives up, releases his hold on the axe, and is pushed back a step. He raises his leg, clutches his war axe with both hands, and leaps t his foe. Tulkar lands with a hold on his enemy's back, and brings down his weapon onto the neck region. It makes a clurtsh sound as it cuts through flesh, spine, and sinew. The big humanoid colapses with it's head rolling on the floor, and Tulkar lands gracefully. He pulls his throwing axe out, then looks at his companions and smiles. "What?"

6. - Top - End - #366
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

With Gyrax dead at your feet and the kobolds scattered, there should be nothing left to do here but gather up any loot you can and find the vault. With any luck, you can be back in Stallman before dark, and in Kerist tomorrow.
    Spoiler
    Show
    God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players (i.e. everyone), to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.

- "Good Omens"

7. - Top - End - #367
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Deftly avoiding the spray of blood, Alexis simply comments "Messy. Now, seeing as he was the leader, he likely has a significant portion of the kobolds treasury."

30 search.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

8. - Top - End - #368
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Whistling for Hu to come near, Uriell takes a knee. He removes a rag from his sack and begins to wipe the blood splatter from the hound. Looking at the white fur of his companion with the blood splatter, Uriell chuckles to himself and whispers to Hu. Pink is a great color for you. Hu gives a low but gentle growl as if he understands he is being mocked.

Standing up, Uriell turns to the group.

"Well now that that's done, hopefully we can find what we are looking for and get back to a town for some rest," and as he says this, his stomach growls loudly, "and some food," he adds with a smirk.
    Surprise inside!
    Spoiler
    Show

Click 'em all!

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Uriell - A Druid
    Robb - The Scruffy Scout

9. - Top - End - #369
    Firbolg in the Playground

At the youths question Anthony just chuckles "Aye, what indeed, at least someone took advantage of the distraction I made, way to clean up lad. See what you can do when you focus with one weapon? Just go clean yourself off you don't know where that thing has been and with your wounds you're bound to get an infection of some sort. Well my work is done for the time being so shout if ya need me or scream if you're dying." He walks away from the vault whistling to himself, and finds a crate or something of equal erganomic support and sits down.
    Last edited by Morbis Meh; 2013-01-16 at 09:34 AM.
    Blarg...

10. - Top - End - #370
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

While Alexis searches Gyrax's body, Tamni'el returns to searching the room.

In addition to his now ruined (though it was hardly in good shape to begin with) leather armor, Gyrax was carrying five throwing axes, his somewhat grisly shield, and his battleaxe. The shield doesn't appear to be anything special, and neither do the throwing axes. Beneath the old, caked on blood - and the fresh layer from Tulkar - the battleaxe is surprisingly well made. He was also wearing five thick, frankly ugly bracelets of gold along his arms. They're probably not of value as jewelry, but perhaps you could find a buyer for the gold.

Meanwhile, Tamni'el has found what appears to be Gyrax's lair, a small area of the room partitioned off with some hung furs and skins. Inside, a few crates contain some wealth; 53 gp, 168 sp, 272 cp, and 3 small gem stones. However, a search of the kobolds living spaces reveals nothing of value, just more shiny rocks and bits of metal.

It seems that all that is left to find is the vault; according to the map, it should be hidden about midway along the west wall.
    Spoiler
    Show

- "Good Omens"

11. - Top - End - #371

GreenSorcererElf

Spoiler
    Show

I have the loot listed on Alexis's sheet

More excited now that the adventure was nearing its end, Alexis seems to try to conceal her excitement with a calm tone
    "Not a lot, for an entire tribe of Kobolds. Since I don't particularly relish the thought of meeting the rest of the tribe, why don't we get a move on"

Alexis starts searching for the vault, near the location listed on the map
    take 10, so 20.
    if failed, take 20, so 30.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

12. - Top - End - #372
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

It takes a few minutes, but you find a stone that slides aside, revealing a keyhole. It looks like the right size for the Key to the Vault you were given.
    Spoiler
    Show

- "Good Omens"

13. - Top - End - #373

GreenSorcererElf

"The keyhole is here. Shall I attempt to open it?"
    Alexis tries in vain to maintain her cold, withdrawn demeanor, but her excitement bleeds through to her voice.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ettin in the Playground

Darius smiled broadly, relaxing now that their goal was in sight.

"It's what we came here for, leaving without opening it would be an odd decision."

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, Summer Rose, and Firebrand by me

15. - Top - End - #375

GreenSorcererElf

"True, but it could always blow up or something, so you may want to stand clear"

Once everyone else has moved back a bit from the opening, she inserts the key, and turns it, moving to the left as she does so.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

16. - Top - End - #376

"But t'other was valuable too," Tulkar shoots back. "I'm tough, I think I can heal the hit," he continues as he brushes blood and filth off of his breastplate. Seeing the vault being opened, Tulkar turns his attention that way without saying another word, leaving his conversation with Anthony hanging in the air.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Despite the age of the lock, the key turns easily, and the wall in front of you pops open, swinging inward. In front of you is a short hallway, covered in a carpet of dust, undisturbed even by rats. At the end of the hallway is a stout iron door with another keyhole of the same size.
    Spoiler
    Show

- "Good Omens"

18. - Top - End - #378

GreenSorcererElf

"I am surprised that did not set off a trap. However, from here on in, I would be surprised if they did not leave any unpleasant surprises."

Alexis proceeds slowly down the corridor, checking for traps as she goes
    30 search
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

19. - Top - End - #379
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Alexis' caution pays off; there is a trap, it's just on the inner door, not the outer. It's a fairly nasty dart trap too. A couple minutes inspecting it leads you to conclude that you might be able to disarm it manually, but using the Key to the Vault in the lock should take care of that for you.
    Spoiler
    Show

- "Good Omens"

20. - Top - End - #380

GreenSorcererElf

"I am certain that you will be glad to know that the time spent searching for traps was not wasted. There is a trap on the door, a rather unpleasant dart trap. Turning the key should disable it, but I can't be certain. However, here goes nothing"

Trying to stand out of the firing path of the darts, Alexis turns the key once more
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

21. - Top - End - #381
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

As Alexis turns the key, a series of clicks echo from out of the walls, and the door pops open, slowly swinging inward. On the other side is the vault. Before you is a clutter of items held in esteem by the old Barons of Ashe Wood. Artwork, none of it looking particularly valuable, fills most of the space; tapestries rolled up in a pile on the floor, statues and sculptures huddling together, a few portraits stacked against each other on the far wall. On the left side of the vault are several chests, laid out in a semicircle.
    Spoiler
    Show

- "Good Omens"

22. - Top - End - #382

GreenSorcererElf

Alexis, continuing to feel a mix of paranoia and excitement, continues to laboriously search for traps
    30 search
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

23. - Top - End - #383
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

It takes a few minutes, but by the end, Alexis is certain there aren't any traps in the Vault.
    Spoiler
    Show

- "Good Omens"

24. - Top - End - #384

GreenSorcererElf

"It looks clear. Shall we see what is in the chests?"

Without waiting for a reply, Alexis goes and sees if the chests are locked. If they are, she will try to open them
    (17 take 10, 27 take 20)
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

25. - Top - End - #385
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Looking around the room Uriell is intrigued with the various artwork and tapestries strewn about.

While the others look about and Alexis takes her time on the chests, Uriell looks through the paintings and artwork for anything that might interest him.

Spoiler
    Show

Uriell would be looking for forest themed, mystical beast and anything that looks unusual.
    Surprise inside!
    Spoiler
    Show

Click 'em all!

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Uriell - A Druid
    Robb - The Scruffy Scout

26. - Top - End - #386
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The chests are locked, but only with simple latches to hold them closed; it only takes a few seconds to open them. Inside, glittering gold coins seem to fill the chests, though some silver, and a few others items, can be seen as well.

Spoiler
    Show
    The contents of the chests are:
    1200 gp
    78 sp
    A finely crafted shortsword
    A silver ring
    7 assorted pearls

Across the room, Uriell pokes through the artwork. The paintings are revealed to be either old and faded, or family portraits. The tapestries are in even worse condition, and the statuary and sculptures are rather plain. Even to your inexpert eye, it's doubtful any of the pieces are worth more than 5 gold, at the most. There is a small oil painting of a forest meadow that catches your eye; it's in better shape than the others. The artist wasn't particularly skilled, but it's still a nice looking piece. There's also something... odd about the art. You can't quite put your finger on it, but you're sure there's something wrong with one of the pieces. Try as you might though, you can't figure out what it is.
    Spoiler
    Show

- "Good Omens"

27. - Top - End - #387

GreenSorcererElf

"Looks like we have our reward. Anyone else want a look before I pack it away?"

Alexis looks around the room at the art, before casting detect magic, and examining everything in the room, trying to find out if there is any magic there.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

28. - Top - End - #388
    Firbolg in the Playground

At the mention of a reward, Anthony perks up and walks over towards the vault. The sight of gold is appealing but Anthony begins laughing "Pack it away, a scrawny lass like you wouldn't even be able to lift the chest not to mention pack it away. Me and Tulks here can cary the chest out to our beasts o'burden too bad there's no hooch to celebrate on the way back now that the job is done... what did we come here for again? Didn't we have to pick up something out of here?
    Blarg...

29. - Top - End - #389
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Sorting through the myriad old paintings and pictures, Uriell begins to doubt if he will find anything he likes.

As he begins to turn away, he notices one landscape art that intrigues him. Picking it up, he looks it over, and while he doesn't seem to notice anything special about, he gets an odd feeling that he just can't put his finger on.

So deep is his thoughts on the painting, that he doesn't even hear what was in the chest or that the others are ready to move.
    Surprise inside!
    Spoiler
    Show

Click 'em all!

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Uriell - A Druid
    Robb - The Scruffy Scout

30. - Top - End - #390

GreenSorcererElf

"I said I was going to pack it away. I never said where, pack mule. Thank you for volunteering though."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss