New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Kingdom of Arim I (IC)

Just as Alexis was intent on scouting out the entirity of her side, Tamni'el also decided to complete the search on his side completely as well.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Elhand - The King's Dilemma
    Gradak - Everwinter
    Jamben - Burning Plague
    Borkan - Voldur Campaign
    Tamni'el - Kingdom of Arim

2. - Top - End - #92
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

As they continue moving around the house, Alexis and Tamni'el lose sight of each other and the rest of the party.

Alexis continues checking windows around the side. First is what appears to be a dining hall, which still contains a surprising amount of furniture, or at least the rotten remains. It seems to occupy most of the east wing of the manor. All the windows past the dining hall, at the northwest corner, are all shuttered, preventing you from seeing into them. You do recall noticing doors leading north from the dining hall that would provide access.

Tamni'el also moves along the side to the back, though he doesn't have many openings to peer into. The collapse of this wing of the house has blocked off all the windows. The cracks and holes you can see show nothing but rubble. The rear of the house doesn't show anything more interesting at first; none of the windows along your side appear to be open.

Heading now along the back, you two catch sight of each other, just as you find what you were looking for - another entrance to the manor house. From it's utilitarian looks, you're pretty sure that the door is a servants entrance, or more likely the kitchen door. Around it is a hard packed circle of dirt that would have served as the kitchen yard. You note the signs of rot and disrepair, but what really catches your eyes are the reddish stains in the dirt, and the pile of bones that lie next to a run down shed.

Unfortunately for you, you don't have a lot of time to consider that fact, as you both hear a low growl from inside the shed. Looking into the gloom, you both spot what appears to be a large wolf, nearly four feet long and covered in black fur. It rises to it's feet, ears cocked, looking around and sniffing the air. For a moment, as you hold your breath, it appears that it hasn't spotted you. Then it's ears twitch, and it turns to stare directly at Alexis, a low snarl erupting from it's throat.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, let's try not to get eaten, eh? On a funny note, something like 2/3rds of the groups that have been here send a scout out all alone to find another entrance. *shakes head sorrowfully* They lose so many scouts that way...

You both get a standard action as a surprise round, since it just woke up - someone was a little less than silent walking around, unfortunately. Current initiative order after that is:

Group 1: Alexis
    Group 2: Enemies
    Group 3: Tamni'el

So Alexis, if you want to take both your standard from the Surprise Round and your regular turn in one post, go ahead.

Unfortunately, this is going to be something of a cliff hanger, since I doubt I'm going to get back to the internet before Wednesday afternoon, but I'll be back to regular posting then.

And lastly, anyone who wants to identify this IC, roll me up Knowledge: Arcana. If you can't see it yet, you can go ahead and roll and it will be applied if/when you can see it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players (i.e. everyone), to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.

- "Good Omens"

3. - Top - End - #93
    Orc in the Playground

Upon seeing this wolf pop out of the building, Tamni'el remained silent as he slowly pulled his sword out. Assuming the wolf is in the right position for him and Alexis positions herself accordingly, he would be able to engage in a flanking position against the wolf.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gradak - Everwinter
    Jamben - Burning Plague
    Borkan - Voldur Campaign

4. - Top - End - #94
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

As Alexis comes around the final corner of the run-down, abandoned manor, she sees Tamni'el continuing to scout. However, as she starts to head for him, the large wolf shows up. Hoping that she would avoid notice, she froze, but the wolf sees through her feeble disguise, and looks straight at her.

Well, this is not good. Hopefully, however, this dog is vulnerable to magic

Surprise round: Alexis casts sleep
    Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming the sleep spell works, Alexis will go to the wolf, and next round, coup de grace the wolf with her longsword(Hopefully that is legal).
    If the wolf does not go to sleep, Alexis will ready her sword, and send a message(the spell) to Anthony warning him of what she found, and asking the rest of the group to come(exact text will be done later)
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

5. - Top - End - #95
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The wolf begins to crouch low, preparing to charge at the elf that had dared disturb it's slumber and violate it's territory. Alexis, staring straight at it, can see the malice and cruel glee in it's eyes as it contemplates it's meal.

As Alexis finishes her spell, the wolves eyes go unfocused. It shakes it's head, obviously trying to remain alert, and staggers a few steps towards Alexis, snarling. For a moment, it appears that it has shaken off the spell, when suddenly it loses the fight to stay awake, eyes closing as it collapses to the dirt.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Apparently, it's your luck day Alexis. This should go pretty easy for you guys now. You'll even be happy to know that you made the Spell Botch check.

Go ahead and do your Full Round now. If it doesn't wake the beastie up, then Tam can do his right off (assuming there's a point).
    Spoiler
    Show
    God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players (i.e. everyone), to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.

- "Good Omens"

6. - Top - End - #96

GreenSorcererElf

As the worg starts coming towards her, Alexis looks around, obviously thinking of running. However, once the worg falls over, she draws a deep breath and calms herself visibly. Realizing that the rest of the party would be a helpful addition to the current situation, she sends Uriell a message:
    "There is a door at the back. Come Quietly. Guards there disposed. Worg. Many bones. Safe for now. twenty five word response. Try being sneaky."
    After informing the rest of the party of the changes, Alexis moves up to the worg, and contemplates how to kill it.(will coup de grace next turn
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-08-15 at 08:52 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

7. - Top - End - #97
    Orc in the Playground

Tamni'el, noticing Alexis was approaching the sleeping beast with blade in hand, yet not attacking, he was curious. What was she up to? Regardless, he did his best to not wake the beast up as he slowly approached the creature, ending up on the exact opposite end of where Alexis was.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gradak - Everwinter
    Jamben - Burning Plague
    Borkan - Voldur Campaign

8. - Top - End - #98

GreenSorcererElf

Alexis, upon seeing Tamni'el in a position to support her should her attempt to kill the worg fail, attempts to cut the throat of the worg, figuring that that would be the fastest way to kill it.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

9. - Top - End - #99
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Nodding to himself at the message he received from Alexis, Uriell is unsure if the others received the same message but he whispers to them the instructions he received. "Stay low, stay quiet, move swiftly."

With a gentle pet on Hu's head, Uriell whispers "Heel," and proceeds to walk around the back of the building as quietly as possible.

As he begins to near the corner, he sees the animal lying on the ground, clearly asleep, but never the less imposing. He notices the two scouts attempting to slay the animal.

Wait!, he was about to yell out, but quickly closed his mouth as he realize that not everyone can deal with the animals as he can. It's always a shame when he sees an animal die, but some instances can not be prevented, and while it pains him inside, he knows its for the greater good of his family.

Uriell then decides to wait at the corner of the house until they are finished with the sleeping wolf and the rest of his party catches up.
    Last edited by Holice; 2012-08-16 at 12:00 PM.
    Surprise inside!
    Spoiler
    Show

Click 'em all!

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Berin - A Two Rivers Archer
    Uriell - A Druid
    Robb - The Scruffy Scout

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

Darius grimaces a bit at Uriell's instructions.

"I can do low, I can't promise quietly though."

He follows Uriell's lead as best he can, he still manages to make a lot of noise as he walks though. Figuring anything dangerous would be well aware he was coming, he grips his Halberd all the tighter in anticipation.

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, Summer Rose, and Firebrand by me

11. - Top - End - #101
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Alexis' tactics are a success; it's throat slit to the bone, the Worg expires silently. A new red stain appears beneath it, joining the many others around the kitchen yard.

Alexis, before wiping her blade clean on the worg's coat, stoops to inspect something. When she had prepared to slit it's throat she'd noticed a collar, buried in it's fur. The collar, made of rusted chain, is simple, but unusual to find on a worg. It appears to be unmarked as well.

Tamni'el, no longer needing to concentrate on the Worg, can see Uriell standing at the corner of the house, waiting. Taking a moment to listen, he's also sure he can hear the clanking of metal coming up from behind Uriell.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, that fight was anti-climatic. Combat's over again, so feel free to do as you want.
    Spoiler
    Show

- "Good Omens"

12. - Top - End - #102
    Firbolg in the Playground

Anthony just wanders over non chalantly, he wasn't exactly motivated to hurry do to the lack of noise and activity and upon reaching the site of the corpse of the worg all he could was shake his head while sighing "Slitting the throat of a sleeping enemy, effective but cowardly... it really 'kills' the fight. Though judging on your appearence you probably wouldn't last 10 seconds alone in a fair fight. Next time, no wandering alone, scouting has advantages but getting caught alone completely negates them especially if you're dead."
    Blarg...

13. - Top - End - #103

GreenSorcererElf

Breathing through her mouth as she does, Alexis moves to clean her sword on the worg's fur, but before she does so, she notices a collar on the worg. This seems unusual, so she takes it, as it may be magical. As she does so, Anthony wanders over, and comments on her actions.
    "I would describe this fight as a reasonably fair one. True, In a physical combat, I would not be a match for this beast, barring the actions of luck, so instead I put it to sleep. It could have resisted the spell, and would have had it's chance to kill me. It did not, so I killed it. A fight where both sides have a chance is fair. Of course, it is not my goal to have a fair fight. It is my goal to win. (holding up the collar) This collar was on it, and it seems to be unusual for a wild animal to wear. It may be useful. Additionally, we should probably check that shed, as there may be something of value in there. I can check to see if the collar is magical, but I can do so only a few times a day, so it makes sense to wait until there are other items to check as well."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

14. - Top - End - #104
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Displeased by the killing of the beast, Uriell walks over to it. Kneeling down he places one hand on it and says a druidic prayer in a language uncommon to Kerist.

He then looks the large black wolf over, wondering who would have chained this beast and why.

Looking towards Alexis, "It is most unusual to find a beast such as this as a pet. Is there anything uncommon or interesting about that collar you removed?"

Hu follows Uriell over, but clearly stays back from the corpse. After seeing Uriell touch the wolf, Hu gives a slight whimper and nudges Uriell in the back. You get the feeling the dog is not very fond of a wolf of this size.
    Surprise inside!
    Spoiler
    Show

Click 'em all!

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Uriell - A Druid
    Robb - The Scruffy Scout

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

Seeing there's no immediate danger, Darius relaxes a little. Keeping his Halberd at the ready, just in case, he walks over to where the dead wolf-like creature lay.

"Was that all there was?" He scans the treeline quickly, trying to see if anything had been attracted by the smell of blood, "If so, it would probably be prudent to move on before predators come to investigate."

Show

16. - Top - End - #106

"Indeed, put that little pretty of yours away, we have more pressing matters to attend to. If that thing was a pet them I am sure the owners will be less that thankful towards us for slitting its throat" Anthony places his axe on his should and moves towards the manor door, waiting for the scouts to move on ahead.
    Blarg...

17. - Top - End - #107

GreenSorcererElf

Looking around, and moving away from the dead worg, Alexis seems calmer now.

I think we may want to check that shed before going into the manor itself. But, before we go in, I will try to find any traps on the door. Uriell, I wouldn't be so sad at the death of that creature: It was not a natural creature. It was a worg, and they are evil to the core. However, usually they pair with goblins, not kobolds.

After saying her piece, Alexis goes over to the shed, and opens the door, looking inside. She is holding her nose while she does so, as she is expecting it to stink of death
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

18. - Top - End - #108
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The shed is empty, simply a convenient building to keep the rain off. Searching the pile of bones results in something of interest though. Near the bottom is a battered helmet. It's probably been down there for quite a while, though you're not sure who among the bones was it's previous owner.

A check of the back door finds no traps, but the door is a bit stuck. It will take someone strong to open it, and it probably wont be quiet.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Here's the stats for the helmet you found:
    Battered Masterwork Helmet. This helm has certainly seen better days. It's badly dented, rather filthy, and it's surprising that it hasn't begun to rust yet. Still, it's of fine manufacture, and could no doubt help protect against blows to the head.

Weight: 1 Pound

Special: Enemies receive a -1 on attempts to confirm critical hits against the wearer of the helmet.
    Spoiler
    Show

- "Good Omens"

19. - Top - End - #109

GreenSorcererElf

After leaving the shed, Alexis takes several deep breaths, as the stink had almost overwhelmed her. After she has recovered, she brandishes the helmet that she found
    "It would seem that there was a purpose to searching the shed. I found this helmet, which seems to be of fine make, although a little battered. It would probably be an improvement for any of us. Who wants it? In other news, opening that door as is will make a lot of noise. When we go for it, we will need to be ready for kobolds or goblins. If they do not use this door, then there will likely be traps. It will take a strong pull to get the door open, but hopefully between us we can manage it."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

20. - Top - End - #110
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

It is not the beast's fault it is what it is, Uriell thinks to himself as he stands up and walks back towards the group.

After listening to Alexis's assessment of the situation, Uriell adds, "I guess there goes the element of surprise."

Looking towards the soldiers, "I believe this is the part where one of you takes the lead."
    Surprise inside!
    Spoiler
    Show

Click 'em all!

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Uriell - A Druid
    Robb - The Scruffy Scout

21. - Top - End - #111

Anthony rolls his eyes and mutters Amateurs. Cracking his neck he picks up his axe and moves towards the manor "Would one of you be oh so kind to make sure this door isn't rigged? If we are moving on head I would prefer to have the templar in the year with the wolf and his pet, the elf or scout can come beside me, I don't care who just someone who has two eyes. The other can walk beside the moody kid. That's how I believe we should proceed, anyone else have any suggestions, if not then lets get a move on."
    Last edited by Morbis Meh; 2012-08-19 at 08:27 PM.
    Blarg...

22. - Top - End - #112

GreenSorcererElf

"I already checked the door. As far as I can tell, it is clear. No bets on what is inside. Can everyone see in low light conditions? Because I would bet that it is pretty dark in there."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

23. - Top - End - #113
    Barbarian in the Playground

Tulkar became a lot more interested in Alexis when she revealed that she had spells. Magic was common enough that he didn't want to ask about it in the middle of their adventure, but he was curious.

He's worse than my mother, was Tulkars only thought when Uriell said prayers, and felt bad for the dead enemy. As a kid, Tulkar had often tortured animals in his free time with all of his pent up rage. An activity that his mother had in no way approved of.

Most of the points that Anthony had earned with Tulkar earlier were soon forgotten when the moody kid remark made Tulkar that much more moody. "I'm a man grown, i'll have you know," Tulkar said stupidly. He threw his smaller axe and caught it, as if the display made him more manly. "And i'll open the damned door if none of you are man enough to." It was a remark clearly targeting Anthony. "Besides, I bet I see better in the dark than the lot of you." That part was true enough, Tulkar had always been able to see at night no a reasonable degree. It was a talent that impressed his mother so much it earned him the nickname batkid. He felt sad remembering his mother, but there was no place for that in his unwarranted display of masculinity.

24. - Top - End - #114

Anthony rolls his eyes as he turns to the very silly youth "Quiet now child, the adults are talking, if you want to rush in head first into a spike trap or something worse go right ahead. It will save us the trouble of having to put up with your childish stupidity. Fear has nothing to do with it, only common sense and experience, both which you seem to lack. Now as for seeing in any form I can agree that I am at a major disadvantage. Do you want to see what stupid rash actions will earn you, hmm?" With his free hand he flips his eye patch over revealing scar tissue around the eye and an empty socket. This is what the price is for running into unknown terrain with your head down, best you learn that now or learn it the way i did. Now if you want to go out in front and act like a fool be my guest, a man doesn't need to show off by doing something stupid to prove he has a pecker between his legs."

He turns his attention over the the remainder of the group "Well if it is alright to go in let's get a move on while the sun is still shining."
    Blarg...

25. - Top - End - #115

GreenSorcererElf

Seeing the others fighting, Alexis seems... exasperated.
    "If you are at a disadvantage, we should try to remedy that. I have an oil lamp, and oil, but I would rather not pinpoint my position: Whomever carries the lamp will likely be targeted a lot. Also, who wants the helmet? And, you two, stop fighting. There is a time and a place for everything. Generally, in enemy territory is a poor spot to have an argument, unless you have a death wish."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

26. - Top - End - #116
    Orc in the Playground

Upon observing the conversations between the group and beginning to see it slowly get out of hand, Tamni'el shook his head. "Alexis is right. Now is not the time to have an argument, or a disagreement, or whatever you may want to call it. That is best saved for when we know we're in safe territory and not around any enemies, lest we draw their attention to us."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gradak - Everwinter
    Jamben - Burning Plague
    Borkan - Voldur Campaign

27. - Top - End - #117
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

As Uriell stood back and observed the group, he could do nothing but wonder how any of them felt this was the time or place for discussion at all.

Thinking to himself, In nature there is no debating, there is only instinct. You are either the predator or the prey, and the one's standing in the open with their minds elsewhere are seldom the predator. No, the predator is the one lurking, waiting to pounce. And as he finished the thought he eyed the surrounding area with suspicion.

Sensing his uneasiness, Hu too looked around, at nothing in particular but wondering what could be.

With the spear at the ready, "Not to be rude, but I agree time for conversation is not now. Let us proceed?"
    Surprise inside!
    Spoiler
    Show

Click 'em all!

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Uriell - A Druid
    Robb - The Scruffy Scout

28. - Top - End - #118

Anthony looks on the others and grunts "If you had been listening that was what I was trying to do before this lovely disruption, as I mentioned I will take point with either Alexis or Tamni over here. Now come on, if someone wants to light a lantern they can do so but I judge that until we actually get into the cellar that we will have enough light from outside."
    Blarg...

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

Exasperated at the arguments and debating around him, Darius said "Enough. We don't know what's further inside, we cannot afford to stand and talk all day."

He turns to face the young Half-Orc, "Tulkar, take the helmet, Anthony and I are already well armoured."

Looking at the group as a whole, he continues, "If any of you have any magical means of providing light, that would be best. If you do not, then Uriell, you carry the lantern. Anthony takes point with Tamni'el. You said you're a scout, your eyes will be the best use at the front. Uriell and Alexis, you stay in the middle. Make sure you keep the light where it will be useful. Tulkar and I will guard the rear. Tulkar, we need to be prepared for anything which may come from behind to try and attack us."

He walks over to the closed door. "Move in as soon as I open this door, we have to assume there will be creature's wishing us harm on the other side."

Spoiler
    Show
    Darius will open the Door (or attempt to) as soon as everyone is ready to move in.

Assuming I need a Strength Check - (1d20+2)[4]

Show

30. - Top - End - #120

GreenSorcererElf

Alexis, glad that it would appear that the party will be going somewhere, lights and fills the lantern, and hands it to Uriell. When Darius tries, and fails to open the door, Alexis sighs, and comments to the others
    "Perhaps Antony and Tulkar could give you a hand opening the door, Darius"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss