New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: For Honor!

1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default For Honor!

Anyone play this? My wife got it for me a few days ago. I started with Kensei, liking it.

Some questions.

Does anyone have a link with a concise pro-con list for all the classes? I've read about them, but everything seems so bloated.

Anyone remap their controller? I'm on PS4 and I made L1 dodge, L2 feint, R3 lock on, and switched lock on to toggle.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: For Honor!

Loved the Betas. But the company did some things to piss me off. So I am refusing to buy it until it's down to like $20 or less.

But the fighting system is just so fun. More than I've had in any other sword fighting game, really.

Anyway, you kinda joined at an odd time. They're about to make large changes to fix the "defensive meta." Currently all the games systems favor the defender. Which made higher level play just two guys circling each other and waiting for the opponent to attack. Or spamming the 2-3 safe moves in the game.

As for classes summaries there is really this.

Classes that have a safe opener: Warlord, Centurion, Peacekeeper (to a lesser extent Conqueror and Warden)

Classes that abuse the unlock tech: Nobushi, Raider

Classes that can't do either of that: everyone else.

I could go into more detail, later. But really the best way to figure out strengths and weaknesses would be to play around with them.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Huh. Interesting. I had no idea :P

Thanks for the insight!

Any words on the key binding? I just don't want to have to keep moving my right thumb back and forth. Putting dodge and feint on the left triggers should help with that, I imagine.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I bought it when it first came out and played it a bunch for awhile, but haven't touched it in a couple of months.

The Good:
    Lots of classes are fun to play
    Customization is cool
    1v1 fights are a lot of fun
    If someone drops out of the match, they are replaced by a bot instead of leaving their team at a numerical disadvantage

The Bad:
    Matchmaking is terrible and takes a long time
    The faction war is horribly balanced. Unless it has changed since I left, no one but Vikings has a chance to win so you should join them.
    Most multiplayer matches quickly devolve into 2v1 or 3v1 gang-ups, which for me is absolutely no fun.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    I bought it when it first came out and played it a bunch for awhile, but haven't touched it in a couple of months.

The Good:
    Lots of classes are fun to play
    Customization is cool
    1v1 fights are a lot of fun
    If someone drops out of the match, they are replaced by a bot instead of leaving their team at a numerical disadvantage

The Bad:
    Matchmaking is terrible and takes a long time
    The faction war is horribly balanced. Unless it has changed since I left, no one but Vikings has a chance to win so you should join them.
    Most multiplayer matches quickly devolve into 2v1 or 3v1 gang-ups, which for me is absolutely no fun.
    Vikings literally won the first Faction War. Samurai won the second.

I'd add to the Bad: Some of the stylistic designs just do not mesh well with the rest of the game. Having the glowy science-y looking lighting and displays works for games like Assassin's Creed, where the setting is pseudo science fiction. But they really should have gone with a different style with the all medieval all the time game.

That and just some of the customization. Really, having guys squat down and fart fire everywhere? What is that?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Vikings literally won the first Faction War. Samurai won the second.

I'd add to the Bad: Some of the stylistic designs just do not mesh well with the rest of the game. Having the glowy science-y looking lighting and displays works for games like Assassin's Creed, where the setting is pseudo science fiction. But they really should have gone with a different style with the all medieval all the time game.

That and just some of the customization. Really, having guys squat down and fart fire everywhere? What is that?
    Whereas Knights came in last place every single time while I was still playing, despite the fact that Knights were in the lead when I went to bed a couple hours before the second one ended. And even though Samurai won the second, they were last place in the first one. So right now it looks like Vikings>Samurai>>>>Knights.

I hadn't seen the one with the farting fire. Did they add that later? Or maybe it's on a class I don't play much.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    Whereas Knights came in last place every single time while I was still playing, despite the fact that Knights were in the lead when I went to bed a couple hours before the second one ended. And even though Samurai won the second, they were last place in the first one. So right now it looks like Vikings>Samurai>>>>Knights.

I hadn't seen the one with the farting fire. Did they add that later? Or maybe it's on a class I don't play much.
    Conqueror has that little emote. Which is sad for numerous reasons. Not least of which is that the friggin' heavy knight. Who should be the tankiest mother on the entire battlefield wears arguably the worst armor on the entire knight faction.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah. I couldn't get the hang of the Conqueror so I didn't look too much into their customization. My heavy class of choice is the Warlord.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, free weekend is up. Looks like I'm gonna play it again, see if I still enjoy it since the Betas.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Game still seems really buggy and with pretty horrible balance (especially at higher skill levels). Staying away from this one. :(

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I actually quite enjoyed my free weekend. Only one match disconnect after about 8 hours of play. Got to finally try Lawbringer since he wasn't in the Beta. The balance may not be perfect for high level play. But that's never really bothered me. I'll never reach high level play anyway. Hell in Smash Bros I main Ganondorf.

I would have bought it but apparently only for Xbox and PS4 the 50% off discount was until the 22nd. So I missed my chance to get it on PC. Oh well, I've waited this long I can wait another 6 months or however long for the next sale.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

first time hearing but definitely gonna check it out

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

I tried it in beta and enjoyed myself, but when it came out it was so buggy that I returned it for a refund.

I'd like to get back into it, but super-competitive multiplayer games with a well-established player base are intimidating to a filthy casual like me.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

One problem I had with this game was that I encountered a whole lot of people doing XP farming by rubber banding their control sticks together and just running around in circles every match. I haven't touched the game in months though, so I have no idea if Ubisoft ever cracked down on this. And now I've started seeing the same thing in Overwatch, though so far it's confined to the Lucioball event minigame.