New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: The Legend of Zelda: Thread of Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Breathes life into thread!

So how is everyone doing! Currently trying to figure out how to make a hook shot/where to find accurate bottles to the games. I'm costume making!
    Are you going to make your own tights and man-skirt, too?

I actually still need to borrow and play Skyward Sword, but I cleared Battle Quest on Nintendo Land without being hit! Awesome game that you can play with only one hand.

Actually, how -does- Skyward Sword's swordsmanship compare with Nintendo Land's? Anyone play both yet?
    Last edited by INoKnowNames; 2013-04-04 at 11:05 AM.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

I HATE the first boss in Skyward Sword. It's absolutely idiotic. I just can't beat that guy. I had to have someone do it for me. I've never had that in a Zelda game. I was always the guy people came to have bosses beaten. It's just... insane.

The rest of the game is not so bad, though I'll admit, Fi is more annoying than Navi. Plus, a little more money spent on making the dungeons longer and a little less on the robot ballet would have been nice.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    I HATE the first boss in Skyward Sword. It's absolutely idiotic. I just can't beat that guy. I had to have someone do it for me. I've never had that in a Zelda game. I was always the guy people came to have bosses beaten. It's just... insane.
    The first boss is the white-haired-pretty-boy who likes liking things, right? The one you fight in the demo? He wasn't so tough... Though I don't know if the demo-fight is easier than the actual game fight or not...

The rest of the game is not so bad, though I'll admit, Fi is more annoying than Navi. Plus, a little more money spent on making the dungeons longer and a little less on the robot ballet would have been nice.
    Robot Ballet? That sounds interesting...

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    The first boss is the white-haired-pretty-boy who likes liking things, right? The one you fight in the demo? He wasn't so tough... Though I don't know if the demo-fight is easier than the actual game fight or not...
    My sister spent about 20 minutes fighting Girahim for the first time. The issue is he's basically the crash course in "this game cares about which direction you swing."
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

It wasn't really that. It was that I couldn't figure out the trick to him. Apparently you need to waggle your sword at him until his fingers get confused. Which is annoying, because there's no clue to it. You have to figure it out from the eyes you were encountering.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    My sister spent about 20 minutes fighting Girahim for the first time. The issue is he's basically the crash course in "this game cares about which direction you swing."
    See, I've heard complaints about that, and yet, unless the way the game calculates how you swing is different, Nintendo Land does the exact same thing with the Zelda attraction, and it doesn't seem hard unless you straight up waggle. Just mind how you swing and the direction your swing comes from... Do you fight him immediately when the game starts or something? I thought he was the -boss- of the first dungeon...

It wasn't really that. It was that I couldn't figure out the trick to him. Apparently you need to waggle your sword at him until his fingers get confused. Which is annoying, because there's no clue to it. You have to figure it out from the eyes you were encountering.
    From what I remember of the demo fight, his hand was glowing and trying to grab your sword from you. What part of that seems like he's inviting you to thrust in that direction at him? For me, I remember specifically maneuvering my blade to the opposite side before he could catch up, then slashing...

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

Tried that. He'd just duck out of the way. I'm not that bad.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Tried that. He'd just duck out of the way. I'm not that bad.
    Huh. That's weird... I guess I'll find out... in a couple of months...

9. - Top - End - #309
    Firbolg in the Playground

The game does give you a hint: After he chucks your own sword at you a few times, Ghirahim mocks you for telegraphing your blows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    The game does give you a hint: After he chucks your own sword at you a few times, Ghirahim mocks you for telegraphing your blows.
    See, I explicitly remember watching a friend get his sword taken from him, and Ghirahim saying that back to him each time he did, and even picking it up and using it more when said friend was too slow to get it back. That's how I learned to use the motion sensor for what it is, stop trying to waggle, and actually attack where he wasn't defending.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

He never took my sword. I figured out right away that when he caught it, you just pull up with the Wii-mote and Link would jerk it free. Guess they didn't expect you to figure that out so fast.

And by waggle I meant that if you swing the sword tip in a circle, it will cause his hand to stop moving and you can hit him. Should have been more clear.

Heck, after him, the second boss was a complete wuss. I used one potion of heatlh because of a minor miscalculation.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

He never took my sword. I figured out right away that when he caught it, you just pull up with the Wii-mote and Link would jerk it free. Guess they didn't expect you to figure that out so fast.

And by waggle I meant that if you swing the sword tip in a circle, it will cause his hand to stop moving and you can hit him. Should have been more clear.

Heck, after him, the second boss was a complete wuss. I used one potion of heatlh because of a minor miscalculation.
    Yeah, Scaldera was kind of a breather after Ghirahim. It definitely showed an interest in innovative arena design tho; I'm fairly certain we've never had an oblong, inclined Zelda boss room before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, the closest I can think of is Goht in Majora's Mask. And that was only partially inclined.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Yeah, the closest I can think of is Goht in Majora's Mask. And that was only partially inclined.
    It was also, IIRC, circular, which is why I didn't mention it as an exception.
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Yeah, Scaldera was kind of a breather after Ghirahim. It definitely showed an interest in innovative arena design tho; I'm fairly certain we've never had an oblong, inclined Zelda boss room before.
    I think the most inventive boss room was a lack of a boss room entirely; in Minish Cap, against the two giant squids, having to fight them on their backs Shadow of the Colossus style, rather than in an arena.

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    It was also, IIRC, circular, which is why I didn't mention it as an exception.
    It was that gigantic room with the large pillar in the middle, right? Basically a donut? Seems like it could fit as either definition, since it was rather unique in terms of boss fights; trying to chase that thing down to beat it.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I think the most inventive boss room was a lack of a boss room entirely; in Minish Cap, against the two giant squids, having to fight them on their backs Shadow of the Colossus style, rather than in an arena.
    Twilit Morpheel and Levias also had that sort of thing going on, although Levias was basically boss battle in the sky.

It was that gigantic room with the large pillar in the middle, right? Basically a donut? Seems like it could fit as either definition, since it was rather unique in terms of boss fights; trying to chase that thing down to beat it.
    That's the one.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ettin in the Playground

I did like that battle a lot.

Similar to other round rooms with bosses you have to chase down (inside jabu jabu with the large octorok for example). What made Goht awesome was the fact that you were chasing and fighting him as a freaking Goron. Changing races is what makes that game awesome. Plus the bomber book system for the masks was VERY well done, and called out in seductive wiles to my inner completionist.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

Best part was that you didn't have to do that. You could sit and wait near the door for him and shoot him with fire arrows. Of course that's kind of inanely boring. I had too much fun chasing him.

The water temple battle in MM was also a fun chase, though I'd have enjoyed it more if I'd known I could hold A to swim, instead of just tapping for fast straight lines.
    Last edited by Triaxx; 2013-04-06 at 09:55 AM.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ettin in the Playground

So who else is excited about this new game coming out for the DS?

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

Eh, not really, honestly. I mean, the 2D Zelda games were good and all, but I've never liked them as much as the 3D ones, so returning to that gameplay style is not making me enthusiastic about the game. I'll probably get it anyway I suppose, but I can't say I'm excited about it, or even especially looking forward to it.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Inspired to post by a YouTube reviewer's recent video on Majora's Mask. Thought I would ask how everyone else pronounces the name of the boss of the Great Bay Temple, Gyorg. If you want to skip to his pronunciation, it was around the 20 minute mark.

Also, I found my copy of Majora's Mask, not touched for perhaps a decade. The two save files are both occupied. One was made by a family member and is obviously far from completion. The other is mine and is only 3 pieces of heart away from being 100% complete. If you were in this situation, would you erase the family member's save to begin a new game, or would you erase your own?

22. - Top - End - #322
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    Also, I found my copy of Majora's Mask, not touched for perhaps a decade. The two save files are both occupied. One was made by a family member and is obviously far from completion. The other is mine and is only 3 pieces of heart away from being 100% complete. If you were in this situation, would you erase the family member's save to begin a new game, or would you erase your own?
    Well, if no one has touched it in a decade, I don't think the family member really cared all that much about finishing the game. That's, of course, assuming they even still remember they have a save game file on it.

If it helps any, I've deleted a few save games that belonged to family members after a few years, and no one seemed to get upset over it.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Firbolg in the Playground

Erase your own. Do you really want to spend hours trying to figure out exactly which three pieces of heart you're missing? I mean, if you're going to hunt them all down anyway, you might as well get some sense of progress out of the deal. Plus it means you get to play Majora's Mask again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

I never said it out loud, but I always prounced it Gi-org. As Karate Gi.

I'd delete theirs. I rarely delete a 100% one. Or one near to 100%.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ettin in the Playground

I pronounced it G-your-g.

I'm interested in the game on principal, but I don't have a DS, so there's that.

As for the save file? I'd delete theirs. I hate not having a completed game save for when I'm getting nostolgic.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Thanks for the responses.

I never said it out loud, but I always prounced it Gi-org. As Karate Gi.
    I think this is how I did, as well. Still, after seeing Juan Ortiz's video, I am going to think of that old Looney Tunes bit for a while. "I will love him and squeeze him and call him Gyorg."

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Erase your own. Do you really want to spend hours trying to figure out exactly which three pieces of heart you're missing? I mean, if you're going to hunt them all down anyway, you might as well get some sense of progress out of the deal. Plus it means you get to play Majora's Mask again.
    That is a very good point. With only seven of the heart containers not coming from pieces of heart and no idea which ones were found it would be a headache.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

Does it have 5 bottles? If not then one of them is probably with the beavers. I'd guess the Kafei Quest is one of the others, and perhaps the bomb shop. Those were always the last three I picked up.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, here is something Zelda-related that some of you might get nerded up about.
    If you feel like quoting something that I have said, you have my permission to use it. Unless it makes me look stupid.
    Gaming Laws, Fallacies And More
    My Homebrew
    Feel free to browse and comment on any of my Homebrew. I enjoy feedback.
    Love my Avatar? Well, why not check out the comic that it came from?

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    Well, here is something Zelda-related that some of you might get nerded up about.
    I would be ridiculously excited if that were a real thing.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    I would be ridiculously excited if that were a real thing.
    I thought it was pretty nifty. Would be nice to see a strong, female protagonist in a videogame. But with the way licensed material is, this is nothing more than a nice thought. And some great artwork.
    If you feel like quoting something that I have said, you have my permission to use it. Unless it makes me look stupid.
    Gaming Laws, Fallacies And More
    My Homebrew
    Feel free to browse and comment on any of my Homebrew. I enjoy feedback.
    Love my Avatar? Well, why not check out the comic that it came from?