New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: The Legend of Zelda: Thread of Awesome

I'm thinking a 3 heart, hero mode quest for Skyward Sword after I finish my current hero mode run through. That ought to be challenging.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Unfortunately, young kids+Wiimote+watching daddy play games=no more wii, so I have not played SS yet. But I will.

One day.

And then I shall 3 heart that game into submission.

Or cry in a corner when I can't finish it.

Either way we're gonna have some fun, right?

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Overall, I definitely find it odd that there's a timeline branch that basically assumes you didn't complete one of the games.
    Actually, from what I am given to understand, it's more like this:

OoT: Link saves the world, and defeats Gannon.

MM: Link leaves Hyrule and goes looking for [REDACTED]

Gannon comes back, but because Link is off chasing [REDACTED], Link isn't in Hyrule and isn't there to save them again.

Therefore, the events in WW eventually take place.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

WW takes place after Link seals Ganon as an adult, then goes back home via the Temple of Time. Fast-forward several years later, Ganon reawakes and starts rampaging again, but because Link doesn't know that there are two versions of Ganondorf to deal with, he's not around to save the day. Thus, the instances of the Goddesses in that timeline decide to seal Hyrule under the sea that doesn't make sense as an unfortunate stalling tactic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    WW takes place after Link seals Ganon as an adult, then goes back home via the Temple of Time. Fast-forward several years later, Ganon reawakes and starts rampaging again, but because Link doesn't know that there are two versions of Ganondorf to deal with, he's not around to save the day.
    That... makes no sense at all.
    Thus, the instances of the Goddesses in that timeline decide to seal Hyrule under the sea that doesn't make sense as an unfortunate stalling tactic.
    It isn't the Goddesses place to save the world, it's the Hero's. The most the Goddesses are permitted/allowed to do is to stall until the Hero can be born again.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    That... makes no sense at all. It isn't the Goddesses place to save the world, it's the Hero's. The most the Goddesses are permitted/allowed to do is to stall until the Hero can be born again.
    The point is, WW is in a different timeline than the one Link is after OoT and MM. Also, I never said that the flood was anything other than a stalling tactic until a successor could be found.
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

The point is, WW is in a different timeline than the one Link is after OoT and MM. Also, I never said that the flood was anything other than a stalling tactic until a successor could be found.
    Not really. It references the 'Hero of Time', thus OoT. It references putting paid to Gannon. So, OoT beaten.

Then, Gannon comes back. Doesn't say how long the gap was. Could've been a couple of centuries, and Link was dead of old age, for all that is known.

There's no continuity discontinuity that I see.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Not really. It references the 'Hero of Time', thus OoT. It references putting paid to Gannon. So, OoT beaten.

Then, Gannon comes back. Doesn't say how long the gap was. Could've been a couple of centuries, and Link was dead of old age, for all that is known.

There's no continuity discontinuity that I see.
    Again, I don't remember saying there was any. Please point out where I was misleading on this. Besides, the timeline splits because Link (who of course would be remembered for defeating a giant manbearpig and freeing the land from Ganondorf's oppression in the Adult timeline) leaves that time and warns Zelda early, in the Child timeline.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Again, I don't remember saying there was any. Please point out where I was misleading on this. Besides, the timeline splits because Link (who of course would be remembered for defeating a giant manbearpig and freeing the land from Ganondorf's oppression in the Adult timeline) leaves that time and warns Zelda early, in the Child timeline.
    Ummm... okay? I guess? Multiple timelines? If that's what you want to go with... I guess.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ummm... okay? I guess? Multiple timelines? If that's what you want to go with... I guess.
    That's what Nintendo went with, so yes, that's what I'm going with.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah. Guess we don't really have a choice anymore, canon-wise anyway.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, because that's stopped fans, ever.

Ahem. I'm hard pressed to name a Favorite Zelda, mostly because they're ALL so good. I'll have to go with Majora's Mask, even if not finding out until years later that you could HOLD A to swim fast severly hampered my enjoyment. Frankly, though, there's nothing quite as much fun as racing around Termina Field in Spiked Goron Ball mode. Going full tilt and shattering enemies, skipping up ramps and hitting every single grass field as I go. Oh the memories.

Here's a fun thing to in Twilight Princess. Reach the point where Kakariko's Gates are unlocked, and Eldin Bridge is in place. Fill your lantern, and mount Epona. Start at the Spring in Kakariko and make a circuit of Hyrule. See how far you can go before your lantern runs out.

I'd race you Wombat, but I wouldn't want to leave you crying in my dust, wondering how I have the Biggoron sword while you're still in the fish. ;)

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Yeah, because that's stopped fans, ever.

Ahem. I'm hard pressed to name a Favorite Zelda, mostly because they're ALL so good. I'll have to go with Majora's Mask, even if not finding out until years later that you could HOLD A to swim fast severly hampered my enjoyment. Frankly, though, there's nothing quite as much fun as racing around Termina Field in Spiked Goron Ball mode. Going full tilt and shattering enemies, skipping up ramps and hitting every single grass field as I go. Oh the memories.

Here's a fun thing to in Twilight Princess. Reach the point where Kakariko's Gates are unlocked, and Eldin Bridge is in place. Fill your lantern, and mount Epona. Start at the Spring in Kakariko and make a circuit of Hyrule. See how far you can go before your lantern runs out.

I'd race you Wombat, but I wouldn't want to leave you crying in my dust, wondering how I have the Biggoron sword while you're still in the fish. ;)
    If that's a challenge, you're on. We'll need to figure out logistics, but yeah. Challenge accepted. If that is indeed the case I will weep with joy at finally being beaten.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

I'd love to, but after attempting to play, I've discovered that I don't have a single controller with an unbroken stick. And no money to replace them. It's frustrating. I managed a bit, but right in the middle of the Gohma fight the stick just stopped locking to the middle. I won, but it's too crippling a disadvantage.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd love to, but after attempting to play, I've discovered that I don't have a single controller with an unbroken stick. And no money to replace them. It's frustrating. I managed a bit, but right in the middle of the Gohma fight the stick just stopped locking to the middle. I won, but it's too crippling a disadvantage.
    Noted. That's a bloody shame. I have a few extras, but I don't think I'd be willing to send you one, especially if you're not in america, or even the east coast. Haha. Ah shipping. Well, let me know if you ever aquire the controller. I plan on putting the whole thing on youtube, in any case, so you can at least watch when it happens.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

So happy that there's a thread for this! I've loved every Legend of Zelda game I've played, though none more than Wind Waker. I can't explain it properly, but playing that game gave me such joy. I loved the sailing part especially, even though I'm given to understand that most people didn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

I'm up in Michigan actually, but yeah, shipping isn't cheap. I'll find one eventually. I just sort of had the N64 for years and nothing else to play but the PC and I burned through nearly as many mice and keyboards as I did N64 controllers.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

...Nintendo has been going with split timelines since Wind Waker.

Recently they've actually told us what those timelines are. It's not hard to find the information, but if you're seriously that Google-impaired, here.

All info in that article was taken from Hyrule Historia, an official book produced by Nintendo. So yeah. It's the official word.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2012-09-04 at 05:14 AM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

My guess is way down the line they plan to fuse all three timelines in a crazy super Zelda game. But that's just my two cents from the country of wild speculation.

Edit: Heck easy tie in to the triforce even.
    Last edited by Xondoure; 2012-09-04 at 05:49 AM.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    ...Nintendo has been going with split timelines since Wind Waker.

Recently they've actually told us what those timelines are. It's not hard to find the information, but if you're seriously that Google-impaired, here.

All info in that article was taken from Hyrule Historia, an official book produced by Nintendo. So yeah. It's the official word.
    That timeline makes absolutely NO sense whatsoever. Not that it's the first time Corporate Stupid has screwed things up, but that is just... ridiculous.

First off, if the Hero of Time is defeated, then Gannon wins. There IS no 'sealing war', because Gannon owns the Triforce AND the Golden Realm. Likewise, none of the following games could then exist either. Specifically, having a timeline wherein you have the only triforce-wielding royalty in the timeline where Gannon has won several generations prior is... fail.

Second, Link to the Past is the END of the timeline... you know, where it is definitively stated that the Master Sword rests... FOREVER.

Furthermore, the Dark Realm is not turned into the Golden Realm until the end of LTTP.

I suppose this is a situation of 'I reject your reality and substitute my own', because it just is utterly and completely made of fail.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

The Master Sword doesn't appear in The Legend of Zelda or Zelda II. It's not required. Ganon is killed in the first Zelda game with the Silver Arrows, not the Master Sword.

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That timeline makes absolutely NO sense whatsoever. Not that it's the first time Corporate Stupid has screwed things up, but that is just... ridiculous.

First off, if the Hero of Time is defeated, then Gannon wins. There IS no 'sealing war', because Gannon owns the Triforce AND the Golden Realm. Likewise, none of the following games could then exist either. Specifically, having a timeline wherein you have the only triforce-wielding royalty in the timeline where Gannon has won several generations prior is... fail.

Second, Link to the Past is the END of the timeline... you know, where it is definitively stated that the Master Sword rests... FOREVER.

Furthermore, the Dark Realm is not turned into the Golden Realm until the end of LTTP.

I suppose this is a situation of 'I reject your reality and substitute my own', because it just is utterly and completely made of fail.
    I'm not disagreeing with you, at least with regard to that timeline. It is for that reason that I'd prefer it to be split off from Majora's Mask (which, BTW, is my personal headcanon regarding it), if only so that Ganon doesn't have either at the end of it (remember, in the Child timeline, he is apprehended and sentenced to death for treason by the Sages as seen in TP). Once Rusl and co.'s resistance explodes into the Sealing War (heck, there might even be an unblessed version of Link in the mix, just like WW), the timeline can continue as normal. I handwave away the "sleeps again... FOREVER!" part by saying that 1) that's from the POV of someone in-story, say, Sahasrahla (sp?) or Zelda and 2) that's exactly what happened with Fi, only her dialogue just before going under implies that there's going to be another one (which, of course, the audience knows to be true).

23. - Top - End - #113
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    Edit: Heck easy tie in to the triforce even.
    That works pretty well, actually. The "adult" timeline is tied with Courage, because Link's the one who defeats Ganon. The "child" timeline is tied with Wisdom, because Zelda preempts Ganon. The "bad" timeline is tied with Power, because Ganon wins and is only overthrown by a costly war.

The Sealing War was canon in LttP. It's in the manual.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    That works pretty well, actually. The "adult" timeline is tied with Courage, because Link's the one who defeats Ganon. The "child" timeline is tied with Wisdom, because Zelda preempts Ganon. The "bad" timeline is tied with Power, because Ganon wins and is only overthrown by a costly war.
    That makes a lot of sense, and it still jives with believing that it happened after the bad ending of Majora's Mask, which makes it perfect, IMO. (It doesn't matter when Ganon "wins" just as long as he does so within one "era" of Hylian history, and their counterpart to the Era of Twilight )

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    The Sealing War was canon in LttP. It's in the manual.
    He's not arguing that it isn't canon. He's arguing that the canon is stupid. And as described by Nintendo, yes there are quite a few plot holes.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Also, may I just point out: for the love of God there is only one n in Ganon.

The spelling in LoZ was a typo.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

The spelling in LoZ was a typo.
    Move along, nothing to see here...
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

why have you spelled it with two n's then?
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

28. - Top - End - #118
    Bugbear in the Playground

Bit of an obsessive fan myself. Spent most of August replaying all the games. Fun fact: the US release of the first game was on my 10th birthday! I wish I could say I got it, but I definitely WANTED it (loved the commercials). I have the OoT sword/shield tattooed on my left shoulder. I own most of the games (including the abysmal CD-I games!) and have played them more often than anyone should admit to!

Not sure I could rank them. Huge fan of Majora's Mask. Love the first, after all these years. Wind Waker had one of my favorite endings...until Twilight Princess. Can't think of one I didn't enjoy! Well, maybe those CD-I games, but they have a bit of "so bad it's good" to them....

Oh, and a note about the Symphony of the Goddesses (which I caught here in Pittsburgh this summer). It was the same arrangements as on the 25th Anniversary cd, but a lot more. The 25Acd contains two of the four movements to the "main symphony" (though on a technical level, they're done more as suites for games, but there's enough repeated motifs to make it seem like a complete symphony...head hurting now). The individual themes were a bit more expanded as compared to the cd (particularly the Ballad of the Goddess), and they played a LOT more live. I'd say the cd was 1/3-1/4 of the show, if memory serves. I really hope they release the entire show, and in the proper order. There are a couple pieces that I REALLY want to own on cd...

But what I really wanted to talk about is the brilliance of the overture (or "anniversary medley"), which opens both the cd and the live show. Astounding stuff, introducing so many themes and motifs that are expanded on through the rest of the show...not even introducing the main theme until halfway through...compare directly to the suite for the Video Games Live tour (which is a fun show, but sort of mediocre arrangements), which leaned so heavily on that theme they might as well have just played that.

Yeah. Music geek. Zelda fan. Great games.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Nintendo also makes games about a pair of plumbers fighting mushrooms, and turtles to save a princess. Some timeline weirdness can be forgiven.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Nintendo also makes games about a pair of plumbers fighting mushrooms, and turtles to save a princess. Some timeline weirdness can be forgiven.
    Actually, you Fight Mushrooms, Save Mushrooms, and Eat Mushrooms. And try not to confuse said Mushrooms, or else bad things happen.
    You can call me anything. I've been called Inkin, Nono, INo, Names, and NoKnow so far.

As of 7/20, I've gotten help in trying to get past a physical addiction that's been eating at my time, and finished recovering from a spot of trouble that ended up eeking into Self-Harm. I'm doing better now; here's hoping it lasts a bit longer...