New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: The Legend of Zelda: Thread of Awesome

Simply because didn't occur to me that it might actually be worth looking into.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Well, there is that as well, I suppose...

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

3. - Top - End - #243
    Bugbear in the Playground

To be fair, lots of romhacks are pretty bad. I appreciate the effort, but, well, there's a reason game designers get paid what they do. But the Zelda 1 Outlands hack is solid. The same team did a Link To The Past hack, which I will try out after the Z2 hack that ShneekeyTheLost recommended. There's an Ocarina hack out there too I'm looking forward to trying...this is like reliving the past, one game at a time!

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
    To be fair, lots of romhacks are pretty bad. I appreciate the effort, but, well, there's a reason game designers get paid what they do. But the Zelda 1 Outlands hack is solid. The same team did a Link To The Past hack, which I will try out after the Z2 hack that ShneekeyTheLost recommended. There's an Ocarina hack out there too I'm looking forward to trying...this is like reliving the past, one game at a time!
    What's the Ocarina hack entail?
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

5. - Top - End - #245

Apparently, all new dungeons, new story, new cutscenes, the works. It's called "Zelda's Birthday" to assist your google-ing (I'm at work and most video game sites are on the other side of the firewall)

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground

Breathing life into this thread again because its a good one. When last we left off we were talking about modified games...

For the new topic: What do you want Nintendo to do for then new Zelda game?

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

7. - Top - End - #247
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I really don't care what they do, as long as they use the game pad to its fullest extent. Now as to what "using the game pad to its fullest" actually means, well, that depends on the the game itself. Does that mean writing notes on the game pad a la Phantom Hourglass (Possibly, but IMO there's more to it than that)? Does that mean firing the bow through the game pad a la the Nintendo Land minigame (Unlikely, IMO, but it's a possibility)? Does that mean controlling the Fairy companion du jour through the game pad, and what does that entail (Personally, if they take this route, I'm hoping for an extra perspective from said fairy-du-jour, plus possibly the ability to screw with and stagger the enemies they're targeting for Link)? All/Any of the above? Who knows?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I definitely want to see them make good use out of the game pad without going the gimmicky route. We don't need new bow controls or a separate inventory screen (although if it can be both an inventory screen and used in an innovative way, I'd be up for that), what we need is a new experience added to the Zelda feel and formula we all know and love.

edit: Following your example, using it to control your companion/fairy would be a great asset.
    Last edited by Sipex; 2012-12-12 at 12:45 PM.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ettin in the Playground

What about a lense of truth deal, where you hold the screen up the screen and see invisible things? (not really sure how the game pad works)

World Building Projects:
    Magic

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

That's a pretty interesting idea, and based on some of the trailers we've seen, I believe the game pad does have that capability.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Lens of truth deal could be excellent, but again, I'd like it to be from the fairy companion's POV rather than Link, if only so that 2P has something to do. Also, having it be an augmented reality kind of deal means that you're trying to juggle the game pad and (if you're lucky) just the Wiimote, but if you're unlucky the Wiimote + Nunchuk. It'd get awkward if you tried to play with both kinds of controller at the same time. Furthermore, the point of the WiiU is that most of the games (the vast majority, if they're smart about it) can be played with both or either. Take the upcoming Pikmin 3 for example. IIRC, You can play on the GamePad for a more top-down, tactical approach, or on the Wii-mote for the classic feel. Zelda should be the exact same way.
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

12. - Top - End - #252

Zelda thread? How did I miss this?!?

I am super super excited for the newest Zelda game. So excited that I am finding myself forced to purchase a Wii-U, which was outside my plans initially. I know the art is going back towards Skyward Sword, but I liked the art there, so I'm pretty happy with that, so yay!

Other than that, I'm just so happy to be getting more LoZ! I really hope the companion is half as interesting as Midna (or arguably double+ as interesting as Fi) and then I'd be extra happy.
    Gnomish Decker by me! You can find more of my work here!!! Also, my Tumblr, if you're into that
    Spoiler
    Show
    You fell for my firewall, chummer
    The data highways are infinite and I've info left to tread

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Hey, Fi had her good points. Among them being that, 9 times out of 10, what she said would not, technically, have been readily apparent to Link. We the players get the privileged cutscene view, Link does not. Oh, and her theme was cool too. (She still doesn't hold a candle to Midna, tho. Best. Companion. Ever.)

14. - Top - End - #254
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sipex View Post
    edit: Following your example, using it to control your companion/fairy would be a great asset.
    You mean like the Tingle-summoning GBA in Wind Waker?

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    (She still doesn't hold a candle to Midna, tho. Best. Companion. Ever.)
    I'm afraid I have to disagree with you.

Midna wasn't a companion. She was the main character, and Link was her intelligent steed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    You mean like the Tingle-summoning GBA in Wind Waker?
    Yes, but it wouldn't involve Tingle, so no.

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    I'm afraid I have to disagree with you.

Midna wasn't a companion. She was the main character, and Link was her intelligent steed.
    This is true.

However, by dint of the fact that she is 1) an otherwordly 2) floating character who 3) guides Link through the plot (See also: Fi, Tatl, Navi, every fairy companion Link has ever had ever) she qualifies as the "Fairy companion" in the twice-told Legend of Zelda. Is Twilight Princess' plot built around her? Yes, inarguably so. She is the freaking Twilight Princess, there's no way around this. Does she have a character? Yes, inarguably so. She has an entire arc of character growth and change, which is more than the "Hero" of her story and most of her compatriots can claim. Does she transcend the bonds of "companion"? No, for the fact that if Midna could become "hero" of her chapter of the Legend of Zelda, at least with regard to the general mythos, she wouldn't need Link. Also, "Intelligent Steeds" are useless in boss fights without other weaponry of some kind. Link in that game is a mute bodyguard that happens to double as a steed.

EDIT: My point being: Midna is the Main Character of TP, yes. However, the "Hero" of the Legend of Zelda will always be Link, no matter the incarnation. It wouldn't be LoZ any other way.
    Last edited by Landis963; 2012-12-13 at 06:29 PM.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

More mounted fighting.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Dude... Your fairy companion assisting you in a new Zelda? Take my money no-WAIT A SECOND!

The new Nintendo Land Game had the person with the Pad being the Archer, with the people using Wiimote Plus' as Swordsman.... and I was thinking "Hey, this is funny. Though, it should have been Zelda as the Archer, just for laughs when you have Links by her side."

Now, I wonder about the validity of a full on Multiplayer Zelda. Especially having Link and Zelda work together. That would be awesome.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

*ahem* Gentlemen. Four words with you:
    Four. Swords. 3D adventure.

Heck, just release Four Swords Adventure on the VC for the Wii U. That and Pac Man Vs., but that is a game for an entirely different thread.
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Geno9999 View Post

Heck, just release Four Swords Adventure on the VC for the Wii U. That and Pac Man Vs., but that is a game for an entirely different thread.
    ... Heck yes. But it'd have to be a full release, VC generally doesn't update the games they're rereleasing, beyond control scheme (to fit the classic controller).

20. - Top - End - #260
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Geno9999 View Post

No. You do not understand. 4 Swords has Zelda sealed up during it. And with these controls, a remake of that would just have Yellow Link added (and why Yellow, Nintendo Land Battle Quest? 4th Link's always been Purple).

New Section of Story, Playable Zelda, along side up to 4 Links. Can you imagine the bad-assery.

Alternatively, compeditive mode, with the 4 Links battling through a quest, while the Pad Player acts as Ganon and controls Monsters/Bosses. You know you want it.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Orc in the Playground

I would love a new Four Swords game. I managed to get the stuff (GBA's and Cables) to play Four Swords Adventures with a few friends. It was awesome. Versus mode was unbalanced as f**k though...

Wasn't the original FS (the one included in the aLttP port) re-released on the DSi and 3DS Shop some time ago, for a limited time only. I remember having it on my 3DS.

Anyway, a new FS would be awesome, especially with the Wii U and/or 3DS capabilities.
    Homebrew:
    The inFAMOUS Conduit base class. Wow I actually finished it...
    The Darksiders base class, based on the videogame with the same name.

I also draw some stuff here, Gamespectre on Deviantart

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

I hope the stick sensativity gets a little better. I for one always had issues with the wii mote wit skyward sword. I'd keep having to reset the blasted thing to the center of the screen, and it caused my death quite a few times.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

23. - Top - End - #263
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by RoyVG View Post
    I would love a new Four Swords game. I managed to get the stuff (GBA's and Cables) to play Four Swords Adventures with a few friends. It was awesome. Versus mode was unbalanced as f**k though...

Wasn't the original FS (the one included in the aLttP port) re-released on the DSi and 3DS Shop some time ago, for a limited time only. I remember having it on my 3DS.

Anyway, a new FS would be awesome, especially with the Wii U and/or 3DS capabilities.
    I still say having Ganon on the Pad, summoning monsters for the 4 links to fight while they travel through dungeons to get to the boss or to him, would be -amazingly- good fun. As would having Zelda on the pad joining them. And yeah, it was. I still have it on my 3DS.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey there Zelda fans. I bring a quick question before you.

I have just obtained the Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D. It's great so far! I've just grown up to be adult and the changes you can see in the world makes such a big impact when you know how it was before.

However, one thing I just can't get my head around: frequently, I run into these stone-like things that you can hit with your sword and they go "BOING! BOING! The time is now 16:32!" or some such. My question is: is that all they're good for? Being... watches? Can they be interacted with in any other way than hitting with a sword? I feel like I'm missing something.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weimann View Post
    Hey there Zelda fans. I bring a quick question before you.

I have just obtained the Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D. It's great so far! I've just grown up to be adult and the changes you can see in the world makes such a big impact when you know how it was before.

However, one thing I just can't get my head around: frequently, I run into these stone-like things that you can hit with your sword and they go "BOING! BOING! The time is now 16:32!" or some such. My question is: is that all they're good for? Being... watches? Can they be interacted with in any other way than hitting with a sword? I feel like I'm missing something.
    The stone also has a lot of easter egg uses. Try using different items on the thing. The bomb being my favorite. Also if you do the mask quests when the Happy Mask Shop opens (young link) one of them is a mask of truth. Then when you talk to the stones they'll give you hints and tips on locations of things and what things do and lore on the areas.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    The stone also has a lot of easter egg uses. Try using different items on the thing. The bomb being my favorite. Also if you do the mask quests when the Happy Mask Shop opens (young link) one of them is a mask of truth. Then when you talk to the stones they'll give you hints and tips on locations of things and what things do and lore on the areas.
    Yeah, the Gossip Stones are a barrel of fun to experiment with. (That's what they're called, BTW)I remember setting off a bomb by one of the Gossip Stones in Skyward Sword, and doing a double take when it... reacted.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, the Gossip Stones are a barrel of fun to experiment with. (That's what they're called, BTW)I remember setting off a bomb by one of the Gossip Stones in Skyward Sword, and doing a double take when it... reacted.
    Also known as - Stones of Truth.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, I see. Thanks for the tip. :)
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

29. - Top - End - #269
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Also known as - Stones of Truth.
    Where'd that name come from? I mean, in OoT they were called the Gossip Stones, and the only reason the King Of Red Lions could communicate with you when you weren't riding him was because of his Gossip Stone-derived walkie-talkie (and he specifically calls it a "Gossip Stone", too). Which game is that from?
    Last edited by Landis963; 2012-12-21 at 03:21 PM.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Where'd that name come from? I mean, in OoT they were called the Gossip Stones, and the only reason the King Of Red Lions could communicate with you when you weren't riding him was because of his Gossip Stone-derived walkie-talkie (and he specifically calls it a "Gossip Stone", too). Which game is that from?
    I'd like to hear this myself, actually. I just tried a search and couldn't pull up anything.