New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: [4E] Tornado Valley - (IC)

DM
    While friends move toward the exit of the city. While passing through the market, Wyndiam stopped taking some food for the road.

Food
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perishable food (Good for 3 days max) (2 CP/day)
    Dry ration (Good for 6 month) (6 CP/day)
    That price include a water gourd contains 2 days of water for 1 man.
    Remove the cash you spend on food from your inventory and add the food/water.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Liam

"I wonder if it will become any safer soon Birel, Look at this, my horse's track are headed towards the southern road. Stay alert!"

Then, turning toward Wyndiam, he adds :
    "It should take us about 4 to 5 days to get to Dain, and from there, a couple of day to look for the Flipping lady. As for the Clan of shadows, I just learned of them now. If they are after me, I have no clue why, or who they are."

He then leaves to follow the tracks.
    Last edited by Modran; 2012-08-01 at 12:43 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Birel
    The elf look at his friends and simply say,
    "It shall take us around 5 days to reach the Dain if everything goes well. Take that into consideration in your preparation."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Slapping violently is forehead, Wyndiam stop an search through is backpack. After struggling to remove the object of interest from it's textile casing, he reveal all his teeths in a large smile while showing a regular basket from which emanate a delicious smell:

I just remembered! I got that small wonder recently as payment from a Sir. Every morning that I wake up it is full of fresh food. And there is always too much food for me. I think it will keep us well fed. And for the water I've got a distillation that will keep me hydrated. I'm all set.

He follows is friend while whispering to himself :

I need to review my equipment more often, I'm forgetting some crucial piece of my tools...

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Liam

Looking at Wyndiam's basket with interest, and a bit of jealousy, Liam says :

"Wow, I didn't know such a thing existed. If only my family had one a couple of years back, my sisters wouldn't a had to move to the horrible place."

Pausing to reflect on the possibilities, he continues :
    "But then, I wouldn't have met you all, and that would have been a shame. I'm glad everything is ship shape now."

He then gives a hearthy laugh and keep going on his way, still looking for tracks

Spoiler
    Show

Perception : (1d20+12)[22]
    Nature, in case (1d20+10)[14]

Good job on the basket, Wyndiam. I would have done the same, except that my money was used to purchase a household and a boat for my family
    Last edited by Modran; 2012-08-02 at 06:46 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Birel
    Seeing Liam trying to follow some tracks, Birel ask him,
    "Liam, are you trying to follow the horses tracks? I'll give you an hand, that'susually my job."
    Smiling, the elf start to look for tracks.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Percpetion to find tracks : (1D20+13)[29]

7. - Top - End - #37

BlackDragon

DM
    May 2nd, 1229
    After breakfast, you follow Liam who’s watching at his horse’s footsteps that go towards the road to Morr…
    But you are going directly to Dain by the desert and the forest. The weather is hot and dry, partly sunny, a perfect day to travel, but really hard on the water supply… At the end of the day you realize that you’ll not have enough water to travel another day if you did not have that magic item for fresh water in a desert like that one.

Birel is reassuring because you get closer to the forest. You settle a makeshift camp very hardy, eat a little and go to sleep early to enjoy the cool of the morning to travel faster tomorrow, hoping to get into the shade of the forest...

Titan, who doesn’t need to sleep, stands guard. There is unusual noises are heard by Titan, but no threat emanates from the darkness…

May 3 rd, 1229
    Shortly before sunrise you get back on the road, and as Birel told you it took you only a few hours to get to the edge of the forest. It is a very sparse forest and it’s easy to walk through. You walk towards the northeast until the darkness, stopping here and then to rest and eat, but you never stop for a long time to go faster than you can.

Unlike the other night everything is quite calm, Titan still stands guard and you get through the night without any problems…

May 4th, 1229
    The awakening is a little later as the trees hide the daylight, you head further northeast to reach Dain… After several hours Birel looks from right to left firmly believing that you should have already crossed the road to Dain… But no, you get lost in the forest…

Skill Challenge
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, this becomes a skill challenge.

Here is how we will proceed.
    You describe what you do and roll a skill relevant to the idea.

Please, don’t try to use religion skill to swim across a river... swimming is athletic skill. Sometimes, your best skills are not useful, and trying to use them can give outright failure. Also note that sometimes, a lower skill can have better result, as the set DC will be lower. (Example: in dealing with a proud king, the “diplomacy” DC might be 10, while the “intimidate” one might be 20).

You all need to participate in the challenge before you can do a second roll.
    I don’t plan to go in initiative; you all need to take one action before you pass to second round. I don’t mind if you keep talking, giving others ideas and stuff, knowing your friend forces is a good thing.

I wont tell you how many success you need, but 3 failure = SC failed

Your options will change over the course of the challenge, check out what happens and be imaginative.

Good luck.

NOTE: A skill checks that doesnt do not give a success nor failure (usually gives a bonus) doesn’t count against your roll into the challenge. You all have to actually either get a success or failure before you get a to the second round.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Titan
    Pondering on the situation and looking around, Titan says:
    Well, we know the road lies somewhere to the south/Southeast correct? We could try heading Southeast, so we'd get closer to Dain at the same time as trying to find the road. If we get out of the forest without finding the road, at least we should have a better view of where we are and probably just go South between the forest and the mountains. Anyone supposed to be good with directions?" As he looks at the Ranger unimpressed with their current predicament.

I can also try climbing one of the trees in case I can spot something. What do you guys think?

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Birel
    After some travelling time, the elf look around and think to himself,
    This is different from the last time I've came here, I probably have gone a bit to much north...
    The elf sigh and say,
    "We dont really have time to loose, I'd prefer to keep going correcting our trajectory. Let me check around a bit, heading this way, which is south-east and will get us closer in any case. If you want to climb a tree, tell me what you see and where,I should be able to adjust in the correct direction."
    The elf start looking around for some major features to help him learn his exact location and help him orient his group toward the shortest path to get to the Dain.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception (1D20+13)[27]
    If you consider that nature is best suited for the task, take the same roll as I have the same bonus.
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2012-08-03 at 08:18 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40

BlackDragon

DM
    Without saying a word, Wyndiam up by flying through the air, and looks around and perceive that we walking around in circles... It's a trap, an illusion.

During this time, Birel takes the time to analyze the situation and realizes immediately that the "space" in which you walk is an illusion.

SC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Success : 2
    Failure : 0

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Liam

Liam is quite distressed with the news of the illusion. Is this directed at them particularly, or is this the domain of some Arcane woodsman, or some other terror.

"Wyndiam, do you see either Dain or the road to it from up there?, Can you aim us using the mountains? how long can you stay up there?"

Then, calling to his years past in the area, he shuffles through his memory to find wether or not there is a dweller in this forest that may want to stay hidden.

SC actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    History roll to try to remember if anyone that lives in the forest can do the illusion: (1D20+3)[5]

12. - Top - End - #42

BlackDragon

DM
    Liam does not remember what that could do this kind of illusion in that area of Tornado Valley...

Wyndiam just had time to go high enough to see that it was an illusion. Unfortunately he has no more information.

SC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Failure : 1

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Titan
    Titan tries to climb the tree to see if he can spot anything else about the illusion

Spoiler
    Show
    Athletics: (1d20+9)[11]
    Last edited by Tata; 2012-08-03 at 11:46 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Birel
    "Ok, we're stuck in some illusion. This make more sense now, as I did not understand how I could had lost my way that much. Is there any of you who are knowledgable in the arcane arts? Anyone have an idea what or who can do this? I'll check the area for some details or glitch in the illusion that could lead us to find our way out."
    The elf start to pay attention to his surroundings and to check if he can find some clues within the illusion we sees. Maybe there is some thing that doesnt make sense in the scenery or a botched area.

Spoiler
    Show
    My idea is to check what Birel can see and look for irregularities or thing out of place.

I also almost took nature and have gone in the path of trying to guess what natural creatures could provide illusions (if any.. but I prefer not to use the same skill twice in a row...

I am sure arcana could be a good roll if anyone want to attemp it.

Rolled perception in OOC = 14
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2012-08-03 at 09:53 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45

BlackDragon

DM
    Titan is trying to climb a tree, but under the weight of the warforged, a branch breaks and he falls.

SC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Failure : 2

DMG
    Spoiler
    Show
    Falling damage on Titan : (1D6)[3]

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Liam

Pondering Birel's question, Liam scratches his head and says :

"Hmm, The arts arcane are not my strong suit. I have no idea who or what could've done that and I am a little afraid that it is intended to slow our progress. Wyndiam, you are the brains when it comes to the Art, what can you tell us of this Illusion?"

Then, snapping his finger in a ringing "Smack", he asks :
    "Do you guys think that we can mark our way? I hope the illusion will not cover it."
    Having said so, he proceeds to mark trees and ground with differents markers, scratching arrows in the bark, or assembling wooden or rock arrows on the ground.

SC action:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thievery to mark the way we are going : (1d20+12)[29]
    I'll let Wyndiam do the arcane roll, he must be trained in it, or at least, he got a better intel than Liam.

17. - Top - End - #47

BlackDragon

DM
    Liam continues to advance by marking the way, helped by his fellow.
    The idea is excellent, the group can maintain a straight line now.

SC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Success: 3

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Titan
    Wyndiam, were you able to see how far the illusion stretched? If it's not too far, maybe we should spread out in a line, as far as we can so that we can always see at least one person, the two in the middle seeing the one in front and behind them. This forest is not too thick, so we could go for a while. Maybe at some point we will get out of it. I have no clue about the arcane world, but maybe this could be a solution

19. - Top - End - #49

BlackDragon

DM
    Combined efforts to get out of that illusion, you thwart it and are able to move normally into the illusion.
    You spread out in a line and follow Birel instinct…

SC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Success: 5
    I assume that Gallo help with Tata's idea. Together, this gives a success.
    You may begin round 3.
    Last edited by Timlaff; 2012-08-03 at 10:23 AM. Reason: add: "into the illusion"

20. - Top - End - #50

BlackDragon

Wyndiam
    Wyndiam search in his memory to find out how to get out of such an illusion.
    - "Right... We must find the exit door." told his friend.

ROLL
    Spoiler
    Show
    Roll Arcana Check in OCC, Post #89

SC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Success : 6

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Titan

Super! And how exactly do we find the exit door?

22. - Top - End - #52

BlackDragon

Wyndiam
    Wyndiam think...
    - "Of course, We must find the object that creates the illusion, or we can keep trying to get out by going straight, what is not obvious with that kind of magic..."

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Birel
    Looking at his arcanist friend, Birel ask him,
    "Ok, what are we looking for exactly?"
    As he asked the quesiton, the elf search his own knowledges for clues about such enchantments and what could be or how to find such objects.

Spoiler
    Show
    I an unsure if it would be more Arcana or history here, but both have the same bonus (+3).
    I am not sure if this should count in the skill challenge or simply give some clue/bonus for next roll, but here is my attemp .

History/Arcana : (1D20+3)[17]

24. - Top - End - #54

BlackDragon

Wyndiam
    Wyndiam discuss with Birel and help him to find witch object can be use for this...
    - "It could be an orb, and it should not be hidden for that magic can come out of the object."

ROLL
    Spoiler
    Show
    History + Birel Bonus in OCC

SC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Success : 7 (Last success from Birel helped by Wyndiam)
    Failures : 2
    Last edited by Timlaff; 2012-08-03 at 12:38 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    "You guys should search for it."
    The elf give as much details on what the other should search.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Liam

While worrying about the delay this stupid illusion is causing, Liam is really happy to have his friends around him to overcome this difficulty.

While he tries to keep going in as straight a line as possible, he looks here and there to find the source of the magic.

SC action:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming Wyndiam is saying what we are looking for, I do a perception roll to find it. (1d20+12)[29]
    OR
    I can do a nature check to find something not natural that could cause the illusion (if you take this option, use the above roll -2

27. - Top - End - #57
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Titan

As they continue going in a straight line, Titan tries to look around for something out of the ordinary.

Spoiler
    Show
    Titan is not actively going around searching for the orb. They seem to be able to move through the illusion so he wants to keep that going, but he does try to spot something as they walk.

Not sure this counts as a SC since it's not my active task. You can give a bonus to Liam I suppose in case I tell him to look in a certain direction or you can use the following check.
    Perception (1d20+12)[24]
    If using Nature, above result -2

28. - Top - End - #58

BlackDragon

DM
    May 4th, 1229
    Afternoon.. Liam and Titan find the orb, Liam is going to cover it with a cloth and that dissipates the illusion. After a half hour waste in the illusion, Birel are found back the way and guides you to the road leading to Dain.

You walk to a glade and installed a campsite for the night. Titan watching over the group all night.

SC
    Spoiler
    Show
    8 Success, skill challenge done successfully, (+ 200XP)
    If you pick up the orb, add it to your equipment “magic orb of illusion” but you don’t know how it works.

May 5th, 1229
    The speed of travel using the road is excellent, much better than walking into the forest.
    And in the morning you get out of the forest, and in the afternoon you can see Dain, and also the mountains behind.

Finaly, you arrives at the gate, and a guard intercepts you.
    - "Welcome to Dain travelers, identify yourself." he said kindly.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Liam

Looking up at the guard, Liam identify himself, his quest and his companions :
    "Hail guardsman, I am Liam of Westfall. I require access to the tunnels of the pass to find a rare plant that will save my pappy. I travel with my friends, Wyndiam, Titan and Birel. Will you let us in?"

As he says so, he indicates his friends with his arm, and waits patiently to be granted access.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Hello my good man!! We are a group of adventurer looking to get some food, water and equipment.

Replies Wyndiam with a big grin on his face.

As any trouble been report on the road ahead?