New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: [4E] Tornado Valley - (IC)

DM

- "There is a very good inn on the road to the tunnel, all travelers are welcome to Dain. Sign the register here and go ahead."
    The guard tells you where to find the "register" and looks after an other group of three dwarves that come out of the city without answering more questions.

The weather is warm and humid. It is still bright but the night will be here soon. Does the Grandfather will survive long enough to be cured?
    Last edited by Timlaff; 2012-08-06 at 12:05 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Titan

Looking at Dain, Titan suddenly seems to have an idea.
    How pressed are we to get the flower Liam? I have extra money so we could try to buy horses to go faster but I'm not expert in horses so I'm not sure how good they would be in the tunnel. Maybe we could get some here on the way back to get to Westfalls more quickly if we have to? Just throwing the idea out there.

Titan looks at Liam and the others for any valuable comment from them.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Maybe not in the way in, but for the return trip I'm sure your idea could help us... But can you ride a horse? You are quite heavy...
    Last edited by Gallo; 2012-08-07 at 06:35 AM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Liam

Liam shrug his shoulders as he answers Titan's question :

"I don't know how long he will hold. His frail condition and his old age tell me we should hurry as much as we can.

Even though I wish that we go with all speed, I don't think that bringing horses in the tunnels is a good idea. The poor beasts will most likely slow us down. But for the return trip, it would be awesome, but I cannot afford one at the moment."

Then, thinking of the road ahead, he says :
    "Let's enquire around about the layout of the tunnels and if there are any herbalist who could help us gather the plant. We can leave early tomorrow morning as navigating the pass in darkness might not be safe. Meet you back here tomorrow at dawn."

Upon saying this, he leaves to ask around for information.

Spoiler
    Show

Liam will enquire about any herbalist around and then, will ask about the Flipping Daisy
    Streetwise : (1D20+3)[10]

5. - Top - End - #65

BlackDragon

DM

You follow the main road, within the city walls of Dain, which goes south. This road seems to lead you to the underground passage… On your way, you cross Inn of the Pass, as the guard at the city gates told you.

You come across hundreds of travelers, merchants, adventurers, guards, soldiers and citizens… Obviously the city is overcrowded, but since this is only way, with the Bridgetown Bridge, to go from South-West to North-East of Tornado Valley, it’s normal.

You often passed through the tunnel few years ago when you worked for the Army of Varin. You know, half way through the tunnel there is a very special Inn, it is built directly in the mountain rocks. The native dwarfs handle that Inn, and since the path of the Pass is too long to do it all in one day, it is a good place to meet all kinds of people.

Birel remembers some dark passages on the left and the right in which you may able to look at the plant Liam needs inside the tunnel… While you were thinking and discussing where to look, Liam leaves to get information about that plant…

- "Flipping Daisy is a rare plant" ...Nobody in this town seems to know where to find it.

Spoiler
    Show
    What are you doing until tomorrow morning?
    To sleep at the Inn it costs 1 gp each, eat 1 sp (Supper and breakfast included).
    Last edited by Timlaff; 2012-08-07 at 08:07 AM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Titan

Titan, emotionally dysfunctional as a Warforged, doesn't seemed phased by Wyndiam's comment and keeps to the fact: With all my gear, I'm probably close to 400 lbs. A horse should be able to carry me, I think, but if not, I can just walk back to Westfalls once we have the plant. I'm not the priority here, Liam's grandfather is. And Liam, don't worry about the cost.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Birel
    As Birel signt the register, he look at the names of those who pass by before him, in the few previous days.
    Looking at the soldiers, the elf ask,
    "My friend here got his horse stolen. We think the thieves might have come this way, did you see it. Liam, can you describe it to the soldiers?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for my late reply.. I am on vacations right now... not too much time to reply.

8. - Top - End - #68

BlackDragon

DM
    The guard listens Liam describe his horse, and lets the elf look at the register.

- "Horses like that, you see hundreds a day..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing unusual in the register.
    Last edited by Timlaff; 2012-08-07 at 08:32 AM.

9. - Top - End - #69

BlackDragon

DM
    Everyone spends the evening on their side to do their stuff and sleep where they can...

May 5th, 1229
    Early in the morning, group re-joining at the meeting point, walking through the tunnel, you arrived in front of the huge arch that marks the entrance of the mountain… Even if you came here several times it is nonetheless impressive.

Without wasting time you sink into the depths, your vision takes a while to get used to the lights of the cave… After a few hours of walk you notice a path, a little higher, on a ridge that might be interesting to visit. Difficult to access, but, for sure, favourable to mountain vegetation…

MAP

Spoiler
    Show
    If you want to do anything special at Dain in the evening of yesterday, send me an email or a private message.
    Last edited by Timlaff; 2012-08-07 at 09:41 AM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Titan

On the way to the the arch, Titan lets the other know what he found out the evening before.

We won't find any plant on the main road, we have to search the small openings and tunnels that run through. The darker the area, the better chance we have of finding it.
    We should be able to get horses on the way back, although I didn't have time to find a merchant before they all closed shop.
    A few rumors. There have been more attacks in the tunnel lately, even the dwarven inn was attacked a few days ago by men dressed in black. Creatures of the pass also come out during the day now to try and feed so their supplies and resources must be getting low.
    Last edited by Tata; 2012-08-07 at 09:37 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Liam

Liam stops in front of the side passage, wondering what to do. He scratches his head machinally and turns towards his companions to ask :
    " Hmm, guys, what do you think would be the fastest plan to find this plant? Explore every nook and crany in this foreever long tunnel, or mak our way directly to the Dwarven inn and hope for some guide toward the flowers?"

As he waits for his companions answer, a small noise can be heard from the side passage, like a little piece of rock falling on the floor. Liam strighten and listen, then says :
    "Besides, these tunnels are not restricted. We could encounter anyone, or anything in those if we do not know where we are going. I guess we will need a goog guide, or a map. Both of which we can probably secure in the dwarven inn. What say you?"

Liam then think back on what the Shaman told him about the plant

Spoiler
    Show
    Trying to remember any indication as to where the plant could be found : Nature roll [roll]1d20=10[/roll]

12. - Top - End - #72

BlackDragon

DM

Birel knows that passages like that, there are still many from here to the Inn.
    The dwarve's Inn is still at 8 or 9 hours of walking.

The adventurers wondering what to do...

Spoiler
    Show
    1 - Go to the Inn to search for information
    2 - Climb the rift to explore it

You know that this rare plant needs moisture to grow, and darkness... Are you quite deep into the mountain yet?

13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Titan

Looking at the opening and the climb and back to Liam: I like your idea of going to the Inn. Besides, we might have to go deeper to find the plant because if others have been looking for it as well, the odds are they started looking closer to the front of the entrance.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Liam

"Aye, your right Titan. Let's go to the Inn as fast as we can and start our search from there. Be on the look out for ambushes."

Liam turns toward deeper side of the tunnel and lead the way at a brisk pace.

Spoiler
    Show
    Force march, not running, but walking fast, to save some time.

15. - Top - End - #75

BlackDragon

DM
    Force march, everyone keeps the pace, so you arrive an hour faster than you thought at the Inn of the middle of the Pass. On your way, you pass dozens of place that would be interesting to visit to find the plant. You came across a lot of people on the road as much adventurers as merchants…

Every traveler is accompanied by additional defence or they walk in bigger groups, it’s rare to see travelers alone. You quickly discuss with some of them and you learn that the attacks have considerably increased in the tunnel these days.
    Spoiler
    Show

At the Inn, there is no window in the stone wall, there is only a huge metal door ajar that lets the light of a fire and the crowd noise out! Once inside, hundreds of people are grouped, the Bards tell their stories, groups of adventurers rest, merchants stop to eat… Every races and classes are grouped here.

Tens of dwarf waitresses weave between the tables to serve people! One comes to you and offers you a table!

- "Do you want something to drink?" She said wearily…

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Liam

Sitting at the table to rest after the long march, Liam studies the crowd, looking for someone who might be familliar with the area.

Once the waitress comes to take the orders, he asks :
    "Hello fine lady, I would gladly take a fine dwarven stout please. And while you are here..."
    fishing in his pouch, Liam pulls out 2 silver pieces and jingle them in front of the waitress and continues : " Could you tell me if someone in here is familliar with these tunnel's wildlife, and/or geography, and point me to them?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Perception to notice potential guides : (1D20+12)[31]
    Insight to notice potential Cloack of Shadow informant (1D20+10)[29]
    Diplomacy to convince the waitress, if needed : (1D20+3)[4]

17. - Top - End - #77

BlackDragon

DM

The atmosphere is excellent, noise and loud music. Sparkling beer of dwarfs is refreshing after a forced march!

Inn
    Spoiler
    Show

Dwarf is in M7
    Shadows Clan dudes both in C-11 and C-12
    You're at the table in H6
    Last edited by Timlaff; 2012-08-08 at 11:05 AM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Liam

While scanning the room, you notice that Liam stop to glance at one of the dwarves, making a mental note, then continue to scan. After a while, he freezes and stare at two sinister individuals leaning at the bar. These fellow are staring back.

Liam then bent over toward his companion, maiking sure that his back is toward the individuals and says to his companion :
    "Hey guys, don't look now, but against the bar, there are two of the guys that were at the Westfall inn, Those cloak of shadow guys. And I probably missed it with all this speedy march we did, but I think I saw my horse tied up at the front of the inn."

Thinking a little on the event that transpired in Westfall, Liam adds :
    "If it happens like it did in Westfall, these guys will create a diversion while the ones outside will steal everything they can. What do you think we should do? I have also spotted a dwarf that could potentially be a good guide for us around here.. I don't want anything to happen to him."

Liam is anxious and undecided. while he ponders his options, his finger are drumming on the table quickly.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Titan

Addressing Liam in a low voice: What do you want me to do? I can go stand guard near the door. I'll be able to see what's happening outside and be closer to the dwarf in case he needs protection.

About your horse, I don't particularly care. We can always buy one later, the priority should be the plant. but it would be nice to exercise a little and get back at these guys.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Liam

"I'm not sure what to do. The only thing I want to exercise in here is caution. I imagine that if we warn the inn staff that these two are member of the cloak of shadow band and save them an attack, it would be easier afterward to find a guide. Unless... unless the inn his kind of their headquarter..."

Thinking things over, he then flashes a smile toward Titan and the others and says :
    "Titan, you said not to worry about the money, would you be so kind as to secure a tour of the tunnels with the dwarf over there? I will go warn the inn keeper. Let's keep our focus on the first objective, as you said."

On this note, Liam stand and head for the "safe" end of the bar.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Titan

Titan nods at Liam's request, gets up and walks towards the table where the dwarf is sitting. He doesn't look in the direction of the two Shadow Clan members at the bar but he looks through the door to see if there is nothing suspicious going on.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+12)[22]

Assuming he sees nothing out of the ordinary outside, Titan does the following (hiding it in case something else happens):

Spoiler
    Show
    As he walks over to the table, he looks at the dwarf to notice what he's wearing. If the dwarf is looking back at him approaching, he does a salute with his head. Whether the dwarf is looking or not, as he reaches the chair in J 6, he asks the dwarf: May I? pointing at the chair and requesting the dwarf's permission to sit down.

Assuming the dwarf acknowledges the request, Titan sits down. He chose that specific chair because he wants to leave some space between him and the dwarf as to not feel like he's too much in the dwarf's face but still close enough so they can't be overheard too much by the rest of the crowd. Titan also wants to keep a look at what is going on outside and who is coming in and out of the inn. Titan tries to see how full or empty the dwarf's mug of ale is as well (Assuming he has one... well he's a dwarf, he must have at least one, if not a dozen! haha)

Titan, as a Warforged, usually goes straight to the point in his conversations, so he addresses the dwarf in the following manner: My friends and I noticed you and we think you might be able to help us. You seem like someone who knows its way around the tunnels and we need to explore the side tunnels for a specific plant that grows there. Is that someone that could be of interest to you?

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Also, if the dwarf has a mug in front of him, when the waitress is close by he tells her: "Can you bring another mug of what he's having to him please?"
    Looking back at the dwarf he says: "It's on me"
    Last edited by Tata; 2012-08-08 at 08:38 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83

BlackDragon

DM

Wyndiam stay alone at the table...

Liam steps up to the bar and talk to the waitress...

Meanwhile, Titan and Birel goes to see the dwarf and call a beer for him!

MAP
    Spoiler
    Show

Points of interest are starred.
    The dialogue will be played in private.
    Last edited by Timlaff; 2012-08-09 at 09:41 AM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Birel
    The elf kept silent for most of the last few days, only noding and supporting Titans rumours, as he've got the same feel around town himself.

When the group decided to get a guide, the elf didnt object. He does know a little about the caves here, but he is more at ease outside and having some expert about this place can cut a lot of time.

When Liam note the thieve presence, Birel start to look around for more of them, trying to anticipate their next move.

The elf nod to Liam and Titan then say,
    "I'll go with you Titan."

He rise to his feets and head to meet the dwarf. He actually let Titan do the speaking, while he sit by the door so he can see what is happeneing outside.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll go to H9 close to the door.

I'll use perception to look out for danger Acting as some bodyguard for Titan.

Perception :(1D20+13)[19]

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

The conversation with the dwarf is brief, but they seem to agree on something. Titan gets up and walks towards Birel and the door.

In a low voice: Anything interesting happening? I saw a hooked cloak go by.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Birel
    The elf shrug and whisper to Titan.
    "I dont know, let go outside for a second."
    The elf let Titan take the lead to go out.

Spoiler
    Show
    Lets not go far for now, but I'd like to be able to see around (the horses and all.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Titan

Titan simply nods and steps outside.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+12)[23]

28. - Top - End - #88

BlackDragon

DM

Titan and Birel end up talking with the dwarf and leave immediately outside.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Outside, you see travelers coming on their horses from North, and the hooded man go away far away to North, but after having seen him better, he has nothing to do with the Clan of Shadows.

Liam comes back from bar with two beers in his hands and sees his two companions going outside, he will then rejoin Wyndiam at the table...

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Birel
    Outside
    Spoiler
    Show
    The elf look at the horse to see if one match Liam stlen horse.

30. - Top - End - #90

BlackDragon

DM

Horses outside are beautiful...