Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: [4E] Tornado Valley - (IC)

Birel
    Titan and DM
    Spoiler
    Show
    The elf look at the horses and tell Titans,
    "This one is Liam's horse for sure. It is tied up witha second one, ready to leave, so we can assume that they belong to the two man inside. We can also deduce that they are only two, but who knows. One thing for sure, the man we spotted isnt part of the theives, or so I beleive. "
    The elf discretly search the saddlebags for clues about the thieves.
    Lets go see what Liam learned and what he wants to do about this.
    The elf is ready to go back inside
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure if you prepfer stealth of theivery for me checking the saddlebag without drawing too much attention.
    here is the D20 (1D20)[11]
    Add 7 if Theivery, 12 is stealth.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Titan

Once Birel is done, Titan walks back into the inn and sits at the table with his friends.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

DM

Liam and Wyndiam discusse inside while Birel and Titan are outside...

A few minutes pass, and Titan and Birel came back inside and sit back with their companions at the table.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Titan

Once they are all gathered together, Titan explained his conversation with the dwarf:
    We'll meet him first thing tomorrow morning. He doesn't know the exact plant, but he knows where a lot of plants grow, close to a river, 2-3 hours away. 100 gp.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Liam

Feeling a bit safer after his conversation with the waitress, Liam sits down with Wyndiam and offers him his extra beer.

For wyndiam:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Hey buddy, have a drink, the waitress gave me one for free. I have learned a bit about the current situation but will wait for the others to come back to tell. Enjoy"

When the others are back, Liam explains what he learned from the waitress :
    So, they already know that the two guys at the bar are part of the clan of shadow. They pass through here often and they pay their drink like the others. they are usually in bigger number. She can't tell much about who they are and what are their goal."
    After a little sigh of resignation, Liam continues on another subject :
    "As for the recent attack, lots of rumour are going around. There was an attack on the Inn by giant shrieking spider in search of food. It probably has to do with the hot and dry climate that settled over the valley these past year, lowering their food source, and forcing them to come closer to the surface. Some rumour speak about an undead army being created beneath the mountains, scaring away the wildlife. Once we cure my Pappy, we should maybe investigate this. How did it go with Lastuce? Oh sorry, the dwarf with the map is the waitress' cousin, hence me knowing the name hehe."

6. - Top - End - #96

BlackDragon

DM

The barmaid brings food to everyone at the table, even to the Warforged...

- "This is on the house, offering meals." she said, making a wink to Liam.

- "And if you want a room for the night, we still have a large room for six, 1 gp and it's yours, let me know."

Passive Perception
    Spoiler
    Show
    Even Wyndiam see that the two members of the Clan of Shadow took a room. One of the dwarf waitress just give them a key...

You sharing informations at the table...
    Evening at the Inn goes peaceful and calm, the two thieves go to their rooms early, travelers and marchants are all sleeping at the inn, fear of traveling by night...
    Last edited by Timlaff; 2012-08-09 at 12:48 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Birel
    The elf listen to Titan and Liam.
    "From what I know about this place and the kind of plant we are looking for, the dwarf plan to lead us to the right spot. These plant grow near water usually.
    As for the two theives, they are the one who stole your horse, which is tied up outside witha s econd horse. They are all saddled and ready to get on the move. I checked the saddlebag and they contain little beside some food and cash. Unless they resupply, they arent going very far."

Looking at the two mens geting a room, Birel add,
    "Maybe we could pay these two a visit later tonight."

8. - Top - End - #98
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Liam

Acknowledging Birel's report, Liam scratches the stubble on his chin, pondering the alternatives :

"I get you there, Birel. As much as I want to get back to these ruffian for stealing my horse and a lot of other things, I don't think it is wise to make an ennemy of this organization. If only there was a way for us to secure the two horses while we check for the plant, this would deal them a good blow and would provide us with transport on the way back. We could probably hide them in a side passage and hope they don't get eaten. Any ideas?"

9. - Top - End - #99
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Coming out of his pondering silence, Wyndhiam clears his throat as if he hadn't spoken a week and declares:

I've got nothing in my books to stop them frmom getting away, but if we mess with the saddle it might slow them down a bit.

Looking at Birel:

You said that their horses are attach in a way that they are ready to go? We could start with simply re attach them them with a few good knots so they can't leave quickly in a hurry...
    Last edited by Gallo; 2012-08-10 at 07:49 AM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Birel
    Nodding to Liam,
    "It is up to you actually. They didnt do me any real wrong here."
    The elf smile at Wyndhiam.
    "Good idea. I guess Liam would be the more competent at doing this. dont forget to redo the knots at both ends. While you are at it, you might want to empty their saddlebags. If they leave in an hurry, survival with no food or water can be hazardous..."

11. - Top - End - #101
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Titan

Listening to his companions and pondering on their comments, Titan finally speaks up:
    You know me guys, normally I would get back at these guys in a heart beat. But I'm not sure messing with them, or their horses, over here at the inn is the smartest move.

The shadow Clan has always been good here, paying their drinks and lodging, because they know how valuable this place is. If we do something to them, we might get other people on our back, including the inn folks, since their are regular clients like everyone else. Lastuce is related to the bartender, and we've already secured his services for tomorrow, which is the main reason we are here, so I wouldn't want him to go back on his word because of something silly we've done.

Liam, I know this is your horse outside, and you should have the right to reclaim it. But only us and the Shadow Clan knows this, so whatever you say, other people around here might not believe you and you don't have any proof to back your words. And simply messing with their horses or stealing their things isn't that much better if we get caught. We have to pick our battles, and here is not the place to do that!

Looking at his friends, and before any of them could answer, Titan adds in all seriousness:

Ok, I think I did my share of the talking for the next week, if not month!

12. - Top - End - #102
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Liam

Listening to Wyndiam's proposal, you can see the corner of Liam's mouth raise in a tight smirk that indicates he his devising some devious plan. But when the warforged pipes in, his shoulders sags a little and he let a deep sigh escape.

"I have to agree with you Titan. The loss is regretable, but if my grandfather was to pass away, it would be much more. the more so if it was because we went on some fool's errand, unrelated to the quest."

He then take a swig from his beer and adds :
    "Let's focus on the current mission. We can always come back after and track the buggers down. I am retiring for the night. I will need all my strength on the morrow. See yah."

He gets up and leave towards his room, winking at the waitress on the way.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Birel
    The elf finish his meal and also heads up to his room.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

The genassi follows his teammates and goes quickly to sleep.

15. - Top - End - #105

BlackDragon

DM
    The Inn slowly empties, adventurers and merchants go to bed… Some revelers stay while you go to bed. Titan follows you even if he doesn't need to sleep, he will stand guard in the room where you sleep.

The night goes fine, Titan hears some drunkard noises but nothing more suspicious. You sleep well and you wake up in great shape.

You go eat and Lastuce is sitting at a table where there are four empty chairs. You go sit down with him, the waitress that flirts with Liam last night comes to you to get you hot beverages and fresh bread.

- "Did you sleep well guys?" says the dwarf, swallowing his bowl of oatmeal.

He confirms that he will help you searching what you are searching for in the dark caverns of the tunnel. He shows you a dark path that leads to an underground river where there are plants.

You have a quickly breakfast and while you are eating, the two members of the Clan of Shadows get out of their room, get a table and order food. They completely ignore you, so you finish your breakfast quietly.

The dwarf takes the lead and pays the bill to everyone. You all get out of the Inn together and you head toward the passage that Lastuce were talking about earlier.

- "Do you have good weapons to confront the terrors that we are about to disturb?" says Lastuce in an amusing tone.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Birel
    After a good night sleep, Birel wake up refreshed.
    He clean himself with fresh water and check out his gear before going down for breakfast.
    Once the, he sit with the dwarf.

Once outside, the elf reply with a smirk,
    "What, is there some dwarven females down there?"

17. - Top - End - #107
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Liam

Liam wakes up much disoriented. Is it from too much drink, not enough sleep, or that constant gloom that hangs around the torchlight in the tunnel.

Going down, or is it up?, to get breakfast, he plans the day ahead.

The big breakfast is a perfect way to get his mind straightened up and Lastuce paying is the cherry on top of the cheesecake.
    "Thank you kindly sir dwarf, that is mighty generous of you to buy our breakfast and to help us like that. I realy appreciate it."

Then once outside, Liam answers the dwarf's querry:
    "My weapon is as sharp as ever and ready to defend myself, my comrades and my mission... although not necessarily in that order."

Then, throwing a look around his friends he says: "As far as Horrible things go, we are well stocked up, as you can see..." Walking towards the elf, he tap him on the back of the shoulder in an friendly way and he adds, smirking towards the dwarf: "Especially the elf, hehe."

Then after a little pause, he asks: "How long do we have to go before we get to the spot you want us to investigate?"

18. - Top - End - #108

BlackDragon

DM

The dwarf and the elf tease each-other on what is the worst horror, a dwarf female or a herd of elf picking strawberries.

Lastuce answer to Liam saying that there is no more than two hours remaining… You walk in steep and narrow places, black holes surround you… After 90 minutes walking and crawling in the undergrounds you hear water running, it is a river… The noise of the water hides the noise of the rock falling on the ground and the dwarf trip over the rocks and fall in a breach.

- "ahhhhhh..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Acrobatic Check required DC 18 to avoid being carried with the dwarf.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Birel
    Reflexivly, the elf jump aside trying not to fall.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Acrobatic(1D20+13)[24]

20. - Top - End - #110
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Titan

Spoiler
    Show

Acrobatics: (1d20+0)[16]

If Titan falls, he tries to grab the ledge if he can: Athletics: (1d20+9)[29]

21. - Top - End - #111
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Duplicate post cuz of servers errors... ignore

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Tata; 2012-08-16 at 12:50 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Liam

All the year at see have honed Liam's reflexes. As he feels the disturbance under his feets, he jumps aside, easily landing on solid ground a little to the side.

Without losing a second, he pulls his rope out of his bag and starts to make a loop to fish the dwarf out.

Spoiler
    Show

Athelthics roll to avoid the breach : (1D20+10)[24]
    Thievery to use the rope to help the dwarf, and eventually Titan has he failed his test : See ooc thread post #165, roll result 26
    Last edited by Modran; 2012-08-16 at 02:24 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Since the Genassi was more preoccupied by adjusting the string on his crossbow it din't see the dwarf stumbling on the rock and falling down. He tries to stay well balance...

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+3)[23]

If he fails and fell down, once again I'll try to use my Windwalker encounter ability to break my fall or even better, get out of there.

24. - Top - End - #114

BlackDragon

DM

The dwarf brings Titan in his fall, but Titan manages to cling to the edge, but the dwarf doesn’t have that chance so he falls 110 feet deep on a small plateau, he doesn’t move anymore.

Liam, Birel and Wyndiam avoid the rocks that keep falling from the ceiling, and stay on their feet…

SC
    Spoiler
    Show
    The skill challenge begins..

Success: 0
    Failure: 0

You are under a rain of rocks. (1D20+8)[20] vs Reflexe
    If rocks hits you (-10 on SC ROLL)
    (Exemple, Liam roll Thievery 26, so final result is 16 if he get hits by the falling rocks.)
    Titan holds on the edge of the hole not to fall.
    Lastuce the dwarf is 110 feet lower, unconscious on a small plateau of 5X10 feet.

-To move forward or backward it takes an Acrobatic, Athletic or Thievery test at a DC11.
    -To climb or to go down in the hole it takes an Acrobatics or Athletic as well test at a DC23 (DC11 with a securely attached rope).
    -To try to stop the avalanche of stone it takes a Dungeoneering or a Nature test at a DC15.

All ideas are good, so use your imagination to successfully complete the SC.

Possible goals:
    1. Getting out of there with Lastuce alive.
    2. Getting out of there leaving the dwarf to its own fate.
    3. Stop the avalanche and help Lastuce.
    4. Stop the avalanche and keep going.
    5. Make Titan fall and run to save your life.
    6. Etc.

Results will have a direct impact on your quests! Good luck.

@Modran, your thing with the rope, you can keep your Thievery Roll for your next action if this is still what you want to do.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Birel
    The elf manage to jump back in time not to fall, but rock start falling all around. His nimble reflex let him dodge the rock.
    "We have to stop this or we'll all die crushed down.", thinks the scout.
    The elf look around for a way to stop the avalanche.

Spoiler
    Show
    My reflex defense is 23... I am not hit.
    I'll go with nature since you allow it and look for a way to stop the celling from falling onto us.
    Nature : (1D20+13)[31] (not a 1 please)
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2012-08-20 at 12:36 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Liam

Finishing his loop, Liam notice that the situation is a little more dramatic then first expected. Since he probably won't be able to haul the dwarf up himself, he decides to help Titan up before doing any other things.

"Birel, try to stop that avalanche would you? Wyndiam, give me a hand to pull Titan out of that hole. Titan, hang on!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Liam will use his rope trick of earlier as his first action in the skill challenge. He will then, on his second action, uses said loop to help Titan up. If he is already up, he will attach himself and descend to get the dwarf, while Titan and the others can hold the rope.

I hope this works for you.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Wyndiam get as close to the wall as he can trying to avoid the rocky shower coming his way. Taking a brief moment to anlayse the situation, he get himself ready to help his friend out of this situtaion :

I'll watch for the rock coming down, warning you, if it's rate increase or decrease, also if a big boulder is aiming at you. We have to get Lastuce back!!

Wyndiam get closer to Liam to help him retrieve the Warforged.

Spoiler
    Show

Reflex save : (1D20+17)[28] VS 20.
    Perception test to try to forecast the falling rock, in order to minimese the DC of the reflex save for my friends. (1d20+10)[28] (-10 if I failed my reflex save)
    Last edited by Gallo; 2012-08-20 at 12:30 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Titan

Titan, with the help of the others, try to pull himself from his precarious position.

Spoiler
    Show
    Reflex to avoir rocks: (1d20+16)[26]
    Athletics to climb back up the ledge: [roll]1d20+9

29. - Top - End - #119

BlackDragon

DM

Liam prepares a rope while Wyndiam that moves to the wall and indicates his friends where the greatest dangers come from. Birel observation tell him where does the avalanche is from and how could easily stops.

Titan is harder for him, he tries to climb, but Liam rope is too far and he miss it and fell 20 feet down before clinging to a piece of rock that comes out from the wall and put his hand back on the rope... Liam do 2 steps forward to hold his friend and now he’s really close to the ledge...

SC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Success: 3
    Failure: 1

You are under a rain of rocks. (1D20+8)[13] vs Reflexe
    If rocks hits you (-10 on SC ROLL)
    (Exemple, Liam roll Thievery 26, so final result is 16 if he get hits by the falling rocks.)
    Titan is 20 feets down from the edge.
    Lastuce the dwarf is 110 feet lower, unconscious on a small plateau of 5X10 feet.

-To move forward or backward it takes an Acrobatic, Athletic or Thievery test at a DC11.
    -To climb or to go down in the hole it takes an Acrobatics or Athletic as well test at a DC23 (DC11 with a securely attached rope).
    -To try to stop the avalanche of stone it takes a Dungeoneering or a Nature test at a DC15.

All ideas are good, so use your imagination to successfully complete the SC.

2nd Round
    Last edited by Timlaff; 2012-08-20 at 01:05 PM.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Birel
    "I'm on it Liam."
    The elf now knowing where how to stop the rockfall tumble forward to reach the correct area to stop it.

Spoiler
    Show
    I dont get hit by the rocks.
    I auto-succeed on the acrobatics (+13 ) to move (to get to the spot to stop the avalanche)
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2012-08-20 at 01:19 PM.