New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Gnorman's Complete E6 Compendium

Quote Originally Posted by Gnorman View Post
    Not as such, no. I had to move this weekend, so I did not have much time to devote to other pursuits. I did also begin graduate school recently, and so have found my ability to dedicate time and effort to this project significantly lessened. I will try to settle in to my new routine and find the way to make it work. Please be patient with me.
    But of course, just wanted to make sure you were doing okay. Thanks for all the time you've already devoted to the project.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    But of course, just wanted to make sure you were doing okay. Thanks for all the time you've already devoted to the project.
    I certainly plan on devoting more! Things like this will keep me sane through the long hours of school. Well, sane-ish.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

This one is from my idea for Racial Paragons in E6.

Sentinel

Dwarf Paragon

Only Dwarves can take this class archetype.

Lesser Archetype Power:
    Fist of Stone (Sp)
    Gain the Fist of Stone (CA) spell as a racial SLA 1/day, caster level equal to HD.

Improved Stability (Ex)
    The Dwarf´s Stability bonus improves to +8.

Moderate Archetype Power:
    Ability Boost (Ex)
    The Dwarf Paragon´s Con score increases by 2 points.

Improved Threat (Ex)
    All squares within a Dwarf Paragon´s reach are considered difficult terrain for opponents.

Greater Archetype Power:
    Stony Grasp (Sp)
    Gain the Stony Grasp (CA) spell as a racial SLA 1/day, caster level equal to HD.

Tough (Ex)
    Gain a Natural Armor bonus equal to your Con modifier.
    Last edited by Engorde; 2012-10-08 at 06:40 PM.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Engorde View Post
    This one is from my idea for Racial Paragons in E6.

Sentinel

Dwarf Paragon

Lesser Archetype Power:
    Fist of Stone (Sp)
    Gain the Fist of Stone (CA) spell as a racial SLA 1/day, caster level equal to HD.

Improved Stability (Ex)

Ability Boost (Ex)
    The Dwarf Paragon´s Con score increases by 2 points.

Improved Threat (Ex)
    All squares within a Dwarf Paragon´s reach are considered difficult terrain for opponents.

Greater Archetype Power:
    Stony Grasp (Sp)
    Gain the Stony Grasp (CA) spell as a racial SLA 1/day, caster level equal to HD.

Tough (Ex)
    i like the idea of racial paragons, still this one looks a bit to powerful.
    second part of the greater archetype power should be half con mod. and maybe he should get craft bonus instead of the ridiculous amount of cmd.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theDuskling View Post
    i like the idea of racial paragons, still this one looks a bit to powerful.
    second part of the greater archetype power should be half con mod. and maybe he should get craft bonus instead of the ridiculous amount of cmd.
    I disagree - I think the balance is about right, maybe even a little bit on the weaker side.

The abilities scream "dwarfy!" to me, so you definitely succeed on that point, though I think there's more ground to cover here (in terms of archetype powers, I am trying to veer away from things that are just too minor or too circumstantial, and add more substantive abilities that encourage active use - monster archetypes were a great way to see how those work out). I like the idea and request your permission to use it for some other races too.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Of course you have my permission.

I actually toned it down a little, it originally had at will SLAs and the like; i am saving the crafting aspect of the Dwarf for an Engineer Archetype.
    Last edited by Engorde; 2012-10-11 at 02:12 PM.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Engorde View Post
    Of course you have my permission.

I actually toned it down a little, it originally had at will SLAs and the like; i am saving the crafting aspect of the Dwarf for an Engineer Archetype.
    Excellent, thank you. Paragon archetypes may be added to the docket shortly (though "shortly" right now is probably... uh... December. Law school is hard.)

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ettin in the Playground

Excellent, thank you. Paragon archetypes may be added to the docket shortly (though "shortly" right now is probably... uh... December. Law school is hard.)
    Good luck with learning how to rules lawyer with the pros!

And I do mean that entire phrase literally.
    LGBTA+itP

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

First stab (no pun intended) at a racial paragon archetype. It's not especially creative just yet.

The Tiefling Paragon
    Scoundrel Archetype

Archetype Power (Lesser): A tiefling paragon may select two first-level spells from the Black Mage or Red Mage spell lists and gains them as spell-like abilities which are each usable 1/day, and use his Intelligence modifier instead of his Charisma modifier for the purposes of determining their DCs (if any). His effective caster level when using these abilities is equal to his character level. In addition, a tiefling paragon may use his Intelligence modifier in place of his Charisma modifier when making Bluff, Intimidate, or Use Magic Device checks.

Archetype Power (Moderate): A tiefling gains the ability to see perfectly in any kind of darkness, even magical darkness, and when in magical areas of darkness, a tiefling's sneak attack damage is increased by +1d6. He may also now use his darkness spell-like ability at will.

Archetype Power (Greater): A tiefling paragon may select two second-level spells from the Black Mage or Red Mage spell lists and gains them as spell-like abilities which are each usable 1/day, and use his Intelligence modifier instead of his Charisma modifier for the purposes of determining their DCs (if any). His effective caster level when using these abilities is equal to his character level. His first-level spell-like abilities are now usable 3/day. In addition, his

The other tack I thought about taking was natural attack routines (horn, fangs, claws, tail slap?) or a sort of planar ancestry idea (i.e., a zu'ling might get "see in magical darkness" and fire-themed powers)

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

An experiment in alternative classes, still in progress

The Knight

HD: d10
    Class Skills: Balance, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Handle Animal, Heal, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (geography), Knowledge (history), Knowledge (local) Knowledge (nobility and royalty), Knowledge (religion), Listen, Profession, Ride, Sense Motive, Spot, Swim
    Skill Points: 4 + Int per level (4x at 1st)

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+1|+2|+0|+0|Battle Skill, Bonus Feat

2nd|+2|+3|+0|+0|Cover Ally

3rd|+3|+3|+1|+1|Bonus Feat

4th|+4|+4|+1|+1|Guard

5th|+5|+4|+1|+1|Bonus Feat, War Cry

6th|+6/+1|+5|+2|+2|Critical Strike[/table]

11. - Top - End - #311
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

I registered on these forums just to express my undying love for your E6 system! It really reinvigorated my interest in 3.5, and I enjoy how jam-packed these classes (and races!) are with interesting tidbits.

With that in mind, I'd love to contribute, or at least offer my ten cents, since this is a (very good) work in progress:

Capstone Dailies
    Changing the three-pronged abilities to 1/day makes them feel a little underwhelming... These abilities are really interesting, they help to flesh out the classes even more, and it gives you something interesting to do every encounter. Where they stood before, though, I would agree that they were probably a bit too powerful to be used once every encounter. Perhaps either nerfing the abilities a little and restoring them to 1/encounter would be a better choice? Or maybe increasing their uses to 2/day or 3/day? I really liked how melee classes tended to be more consistent from battle-to-battle, while mages had to manage their resources more carefully. Moving towards daily capstone abilities may not be the best direction in regards to this.

Gladiator: Pit Fighter archetype
    I think you may have gone a little too far in nerfing the Pit Fighter. I really loved the mechanics of the old Pit Fighter, in the sense that it punished enemies. The Pit Fighter no longer has a way of forcing an opponent to provoke an AoO outside of normal means. If this was because coupling it with a full-attack was too powerful, then maybe it would be better to tone down that ability and restore some of the Pit Fighter's other abilities? At the very least, change the moderate! -4 to Concentration is boring and there are many ways that enemies can avoid this. Allowing the Pit Fighter to make an AoO against an adjacent creature that casts a spell, regardless of whether or not it is being cast defensively, would be a bit better. I also really, really liked the Pit Fighter being able to AoO enemies who take a 5-foot step. Is there a way to put this back in? Maybe 1/encounter? It opens up so many fun possibilities.

Right now, the Pit Fighter feels too situational. He already needs to invest Combat Reflex and a decent Dex if he wants to take advantage of his abilities fully, and there are many times during combat in which he won't be able to take advantage of his abilities (compare this to a Master of Arms, who receives a rather generous boost to using his weapon, which he pretty much always uses...). I don't think restoring a lot of the Pit Fighter's old abilities would overshadow the other archetypes.

Sage: Anatomist
    I'm glad you toned down Subclavian Artery. Paralyze for one round and then staggering for the rest was just a little too good. The same goes for the other strikes that could completely disable a target for one turn (although eyes need a little love now: maybe allow for a 20% miss chance for the duration? It really pales in comparison to Arms now, save for disabling gaze attacks. For creatures that actually have low Fortitude saves, like mages, they wouldn't really be utilizing their attacks much to begin with.)

I'm not sure about the changes to Inner Ear, though. It was already situational already, but getting rid of the initial -4 to AC makes it a lot less interesting. Maybe also make it easier for the opponent to be tripped, or impose a penalty on Balance checks?

Also, it was probably better to just leave the duration of these effects at three rounds, rather than basing it off of half the Sage
    s Int modifier. Either it's too short, or if you find ways to stack a lot of Int, it'll be longer than what it was before. A more balanced sage, stat-wise, will suffer a lot from this. You've already nerfed them a lot (no longer melee touch, only three times per encounter [admittedly generous], and they lost their strong initial effect for one round), so it might not hurt to keep the duration at three rounds.

Blue Mage Hyperborean
    The ability to slow with cold spells without requiring a save is really, really powerful... It's like an insta-stagger, only better, since a slowed monster can only take one standard or move action, can't make a full attack (really hurts monsters with multiple attacks), forces the monster to move at half speed, and finally imposes a -1 penalty on attack, reflex, and AC. And all it takes is to use cold spells that inflict damage even on a successful save.

It may be better to limit the slow effect to only happening when a creature fails a saving throw against the spell (or if there isn't one, require a Fortitude save).

Granted, you completely gutted the Blue Mage of useful cold spells, so it's less of an issue for a core-only Blue Mage, and more of an issue for one that uses non-core spells (which are more interesting, anyway!).

Green Mage
    I am sad that you got rid of Bloom and Blossom. Can we maybe see its inclusion in an archetype? Or maybe as an optional alternative to Shapeshift for those who want to be a more caster-focused nature mage?

Other Stuff
    Kudos on the redesigned races. It's like Pathfinder races, only more exciting! Same goes for your monster archetypes. Very cool! Your combat tactics subsystem has a lot of potential, keep it up! :)

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vadavim View Post
    I registered on these forums just to express my undying love for your E6 system! It really reinvigorated my interest in 3.5, and I enjoy how jam-packed these classes (and races!) are with interesting tidbits.

With that in mind, I'd love to contribute, or at least offer my ten cents, since this is a (very good) work in progress:
    Well, thank you! I promise to come back to it someday.

Capstone Dailies
    Changing the three-pronged abilities to 1/day makes them feel a little underwhelming... These abilities are really interesting, they help to flesh out the classes even more, and it gives you something interesting to do every encounter. Where they stood before, though, I would agree that they were probably a bit too powerful to be used once every encounter. Perhaps either nerfing the abilities a little and restoring them to 1/encounter would be a better choice? Or maybe increasing their uses to 2/day or 3/day? I really liked how melee classes tended to be more consistent from battle-to-battle, while mages had to manage their resources more carefully. Moving towards daily capstone abilities may not be the best direction in regards to this.
    This is an entirely reasonable suggestion, and I will consider it. Despite my efforts, I think casters are still dominant, and this might help to counter that and give the mundane classes, if not more nice things, at least the ability to use those nice things more often.

Gladiator: Pit Fighter archetype
    I think you may have gone a little too far in nerfing the Pit Fighter. I really loved the mechanics of the old Pit Fighter, in the sense that it punished enemies. The Pit Fighter no longer has a way of forcing an opponent to provoke an AoO outside of normal means. If this was because coupling it with a full-attack was too powerful, then maybe it would be better to tone down that ability and restore some of the Pit Fighter's other abilities? At the very least, change the moderate! -4 to Concentration is boring and there are many ways that enemies can avoid this. Allowing the Pit Fighter to make an AoO against an adjacent creature that casts a spell, regardless of whether or not it is being cast defensively, would be a bit better. I also really, really liked the Pit Fighter being able to AoO enemies who take a 5-foot step. Is there a way to put this back in? Maybe 1/encounter? It opens up so many fun possibilities.

Right now, the Pit Fighter feels too situational. He already needs to invest Combat Reflex and a decent Dex if he wants to take advantage of his abilities fully, and there are many times during combat in which he won't be able to take advantage of his abilities (compare this to a Master of Arms, who receives a rather generous boost to using his weapon, which he pretty much always uses...). I don't think restoring a lot of the Pit Fighter's old abilities would overshadow the other archetypes.
    A lot of the changes stemmed from mechanical interactions that I wasn't quite sure about (and still may not be technically correct on), but I'm willing to go back and take a look. I agree with you that -4 Concentration is kind of boring. There is likely a middle ground here, and I don't really mind it being an anti-caster archetype. I will take another look and evaluate with your suggestions in mind.

Sage: Anatomist
    I'm glad you toned down Subclavian Artery. Paralyze for one round and then staggering for the rest was just a little too good. The same goes for the other strikes that could completely disable a target for one turn (although eyes need a little love now: maybe allow for a 20% miss chance for the duration? It really pales in comparison to Arms now, save for disabling gaze attacks. For creatures that actually have low Fortitude saves, like mages, they wouldn't really be utilizing their attacks much to begin with.)

I'm not sure about the changes to Inner Ear, though. It was already situational already, but getting rid of the initial -4 to AC makes it a lot less interesting. Maybe also make it easier for the opponent to be tripped, or impose a penalty on Balance checks?

Also, it was probably better to just leave the duration of these effects at three rounds, rather than basing it off of half the Sage
    s Int modifier. Either it's too short, or if you find ways to stack a lot of Int, it'll be longer than what it was before. A more balanced sage, stat-wise, will suffer a lot from this. You've already nerfed them a lot (no longer melee touch, only three times per encounter [admittedly generous], and they lost their strong initial effect for one round), so it might not hurt to keep the duration at three rounds.
    Duly noted. Eyes could use some love, inner ear isn't quite right, and the duration thing I have more reservations about but I see your point. The sage is probably already investing in Intelligence (seeing as it's his thing) - most sages will have at least three rounds of duration on this, and possibly up to five (which is what I actually wanted to avoid - overly long crippling durations). Hmm. I may have been convinced.

Blue Mage Hyperborean
    The ability to slow with cold spells without requiring a save is really, really powerful... It's like an insta-stagger, only better, since a slowed monster can only take one standard or move action, can't make a full attack (really hurts monsters with multiple attacks), forces the monster to move at half speed, and finally imposes a -1 penalty on attack, reflex, and AC. And all it takes is to use cold spells that inflict damage even on a successful save.

It may be better to limit the slow effect to only happening when a creature fails a saving throw against the spell (or if there isn't one, require a Fortitude save).

Granted, you completely gutted the Blue Mage of useful cold spells, so it's less of an issue for a core-only Blue Mage, and more of an issue for one that uses non-core spells (which are more interesting, anyway!).
    Fair enough. That change I'm convinced enough of to agree with now, with no consideration. The Hyperborean may be on the chopping block altogether, or at least moved into the Green Mage. It just doesn't fit, and was part of my slavish devotion to color-based congruity.

Green Mage
    I am sad that you got rid of Bloom and Blossom. Can we maybe see its inclusion in an archetype? Or maybe as an optional alternative to Shapeshift for those who want to be a more caster-focused nature mage?
    I took out Bloom and Blossom for bookkeeping issues (keeping track of all that fast healing on various targets sucks) but it might be a thematic and cool ability for, say, a Chloromancer, whose lesser ability is either A.) incredibly useful, to the point of possibly being overpowered (constant fast healing 1, maybe even 2, at 1st level?! What was I thinking?) or B.) completely useless (indoors, underground, at night, thick forest, dark alleys, etc.). Probably going to use it to replace the Chloromancer's lesser and moderate abilities somehow.

Other Stuff
    Kudos on the redesigned races. It's like Pathfinder races, only more exciting! Same goes for your monster archetypes. Very cool! Your combat tactics subsystem has a lot of potential, keep it up! :)
    Thanks again! I admit I didn't really "redesign" the core races so much as I did offer them slight mechanical advantages in par with their depiction in various settings. The non-core races were more fun, and will one day be woven into a campaign setting I'm working on. Monster archetypes, if I can be a little self-congratulatory, worked extremely well, though I can't take credit for the original idea - that was Engorde, with the Vampire archetype. Still, I think that method of handling it opens up a lot of space to play monsters that it would have been previously crippling to deal with (for reasons of LA, racial HD, or other impracticalities). It may be a little restrictive - you can't play a druid werewolf, for example, and have to play one as a brawler, but I think I adhered to the archetypical portrayal of the monsters in question (as in, the reason people want to play them in the first place - they want to play an illithid to be a psychic brain-eating squid monster, they want to play a vampire to turn into bats and dominate people with a gaze and suck blood).

I really would like to work on that tactics subsystem, as I think it has a lot of potential. One of the things I've noticed over the years is how reticent we are to ascribe magical powers to mundane classes, even to the point that a good subset of the playing community balks at the best fix to melee we have (i.e., Tome of Battle), because they're uncomfortable with the mystical or "anime" elements. While I don't aspire to overthrow ToB (it'd certainly be an impossible task for me), I would like to provide a smaller, more believable system for low-power low-magic adherents. Tossing sand in an opponent's eyes, tying a bit of flash powder to an arrow, stabbing an opponent in the back (even if not a rogue), these things are well within the scope of E6 realism.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Frist of all, thank you dearly, Gnorman. This is an excellent compilation of work, and I'm thoroughly impressed and inspired by it.

I'm still going through it, but I wanted to thank you and point out the first issue I came across before I go about some other business. I also would like to make a few suggestions.

As I was looking at the various mage classes, specifically the Blue, Green, Red, and Black mages, I noticed they don't have much going for them at level 4. At level four, they get the least exciting parts of spellcasting progression and what else? Bonuses to skill checks? It feels kind of... not very exciting to me. The White Mage's Healing Hands seems like exactly the sort of thing all the mages want. It's not reinventing the wheel, it's not adding a new layer to the class, it's just making them better at the thing their class (not their archetype) is supposed to do.

I had a bit of a problem when I was looking at the red mage's Chaos Child archetype. The lesser and moderate powers don't do anything until you get your 4th-level SLA at level 6. That just feels dirty.

Also, regarding the red mages' archetypes, I'd really like to see one that makes the class feel like a Duskblade or Battle Sorcerer. A small bonus to attack somewhere at the middle or the end, some sort of spell strike at level 1, and something that has synergy with both of those.

The only other idea I remember having while skimming around is regarding the paladin-like archetypes and classes. I'd like to see a class that straight-up has a smite. Perhaps at level 1, 3, and 5, it gets a use/day. But rather than Smite Evil, or Smite X, just Smite. It makes sense to me and avoids you needing something like Knowledge checks or Detect Evil; and it allows players to play a rash, hotheaded person who is just inflicting justice upon everything!

Thanks again for all your hard work here, you're rousing me to try and start a campaign using these rules. :)

Edit: I'm not really seeing any synergy between High Elves' Wisdom bonus and their Arcane Spell Failure reduction. Furthermore, I'm not seeing any reason for arcane spell failure reduction because most mage classes give you armor proficiency and let you ignore arcane spell failure.
    Last edited by Zovc; 2012-11-21 at 04:59 PM.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Barbarian in the Playground

Are you ever going to add the Primeval race you made to the list? I really liked that one.

Also, are the "miscellaneous" classes still in project or is the project being left unfinished?
    You found the hidden text! Have a cookie.

Thanks to The Stoney One for the awesome avatar!

Spoiler: My homebrew!
    Show
    The Bladebound Martyr!
    Quasi-Elemental Genasi (Plus New Feats and a Subtype)!
    My Extended Signature!

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

I believe you forgot to include a duration on the Hexer's fear aura (both how long the aura lasts and how long the fear effect lasts).
    Some men just want to watch the world shift uncomfortably in its seat.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by absolmorph View Post
    I happen to like screwing around with Handle Animal.
    Red Mage, is that you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Now you're cranking it up to eleven.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    A week ago, I didn't know who you were. Now I know: you're the BEST PERSON EVER.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    You seem to be having trouble with the idea that a rulebook can contradict itself, because it shouldn't, but...WotC.

If you're reading this for some reason, you can find me in a few places on the web as azoicennead.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zovc View Post
    Frist of all, thank you dearly, Gnorman. This is an excellent compilation of work, and I'm thoroughly impressed and inspired by it.

I'm still going through it, but I wanted to thank you and point out the first issue I came across before I go about some other business. I also would like to make a few suggestions.

As I was looking at the various mage classes, specifically the Blue, Green, Red, and Black mages, I noticed they don't have much going for them at level 4. At level four, they get the least exciting parts of spellcasting progression and what else? Bonuses to skill checks? It feels kind of... not very exciting to me. The White Mage's Healing Hands seems like exactly the sort of thing all the mages want. It's not reinventing the wheel, it's not adding a new layer to the class, it's just making them better at the thing their class (not their archetype) is supposed to do.

I had a bit of a problem when I was looking at the red mage's Chaos Child archetype. The lesser and moderate powers don't do anything until you get your 4th-level SLA at level 6. That just feels dirty.

Also, regarding the red mages' archetypes, I'd really like to see one that makes the class feel like a Duskblade or Battle Sorcerer. A small bonus to attack somewhere at the middle or the end, some sort of spell strike at level 1, and something that has synergy with both of those.

The only other idea I remember having while skimming around is regarding the paladin-like archetypes and classes. I'd like to see a class that straight-up has a smite. Perhaps at level 1, 3, and 5, it gets a use/day. But rather than Smite Evil, or Smite X, just Smite. It makes sense to me and avoids you needing something like Knowledge checks or Detect Evil; and it allows players to play a rash, hotheaded person who is just inflicting justice upon everything!

Thanks again for all your hard work here, you're rousing me to try and start a campaign using these rules. :)

Edit: I'm not really seeing any synergy between High Elves' Wisdom bonus and their Arcane Spell Failure reduction. Furthermore, I'm not seeing any reason for arcane spell failure reduction because most mage classes give you armor proficiency and let you ignore arcane spell failure.
    I will do my best to address your concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueiji View Post
    Are you ever going to add the Primeval race you made to the list? I really liked that one.

Also, are the "miscellaneous" classes still in project or is the project being left unfinished?
    The first point: yes, absolutely, when I get a chance.

The second: nothing is unfinished, but I am hard-pressed for time. I will do what I can.

I believe you forgot to include a duration on the Hexer's fear aura (both how long the aura lasts and how long the fear effect lasts).
    Will address ASAP.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

How about now?

Sentinel

Dwarf Paragon

All SLAs have a caster level equal to the Dwarf Paragon Class levels.

Lesser Archetype Power:
    Fist of Stone (Sp)
    Gain the Fist of Stone (CA) spell as a racial SLA at Will, caster level equal to HD.

Improved Stability (Ex)

Stony Grasp (Sp)
    Gain the Stony Grasp (CA) spell as a racial SLA 3/day, caster level equal to HD.

Improved Threat (Ex)

Greater Archetype Power:
    Spike Stones (Sp)
    Gain the Spike Stones spell as a racial SLA 1/day, caster level equal to HD; Save DC Charisma Based, with a +2 Racial Bonus.

Tough (Ex)
    Last edited by Engorde; 2012-12-19 at 09:41 PM.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

Looks good to me.

Hey, so, on a whim, I put together some spell list additions for extending things out to level 10. Perhaps I'll include 4-level prestige classes at some point.

Black Mage Spell List
    4: Armor of Darkness, Black Tentacles, Enervation, Crushing Despair, Dimensional Anchor, Dispel Alignment, Fear, Giant Vermin, Inflict Critical Wounds, Phantasmal Killer, Poison, Shadow Conjuration, Summon Monster IV, Unholy Blight
    5: Baleful Polymorph, Cloudkill, Contact Other Plane, Feeblemind, Inflict Light Wounds (Mass), Insect Plague, Magic Jar, Nightmare, Planar Binding (Lesser), Plane Shift, Shadow Evocation, Slay Living, Summon Monster V, Symbol of Pain, Waves of Fatigue

Blue Mage Spell List
    4: Arcane Eye, Charm Monster, Confusion, Detect Scrying, Dimension Door, Geas (Lesser), Hallucinatory Terrain, Invisibility (Greater), Locate Creature, Rainbow Pattern, Scrying, Shadow Conjuration, Solid Fog, Summon Monster IV
    5: Dispel Alignment, Dominate Person, Dream, Hold Monster, Legend Lore, Mage's Private Sanctum, Mind Fog, Mirage Arcana, Modify Memory, Overland Flight, Persistent Image, Prying Eyes, Seeming, Sending, Summon Monster V, Symbol of Sleep, Telepathic Bond, Teleport

Green Mage Spell List
    4: Blight, Command Plants, Control Water, Cure Critical Wounds, Dispel Magic, Ice Storm, Insect Plague, Giant Vermin, Reincarnate, Remove Curse, Rusting Grasp, Solid Fog, Spike Stones, Stone Shape, Summon Nature's Ally IV
    5: Animal Growth, Awaken, Baleful Polymorph, Call Lightning Storm, Commune with Nature, Control Winds, Cure Light Wounds (Mass), Death Ward, Restoration, Summon Nature's Ally V, Transmute Mud to Rock, Transmute Rock to Mud, Tree Stride, Wall of Thorns

Red Mage Spell List
    4: Enlarge Person (Mass), Fire Shield, Flame Strike, Globe of Invulnerability (Lesser), Ice Storm, Minor Creation, Polymorph, Resilient Sphere, Secure Shelter, Shout, Spike Stones, Stone Shape, Stoneskin, Summon Monster IV, Wall of Fire, Wall of Ice
    5: Call Lightning Storm, Cone of Cold, Dispel Alignment, Fabricate, Interposing Hand, Mage's Faithful Hound, Major Creation, Passwall, Prying Eyes, Summon Monster V, Telekinesis, Telepathic Bond, Transmute Mud to Rock, Transmute Rock to Mud, Wall of Force, Wall of Stone

White Mage Spell List
    4: Air Walk, Cure Critical Wounds, Death Ward, Dimensional Anchor, Discern Lies, Dismissal, Divination, Divine Power, Freedom of Movement, Globe of Invulnerability (Lesser), Holy Smite, Imbue with Spell Ability, Magic Weapon (Greater), Planar Ally (Lesser), Restoration, Spell Immunity, Summon Monster IV, Tongues
    5: Atonement, Break Enchantment, Command (Greater), Commune, Cure Light Wounds (Mass), Dispel Alignment, Disrupting Weapon, Flame Strike, Hallow, Mark of Justice, Plane Shift, Raise Dead, Righteous Might, Spell Resistance, Summon Monster V, True Seeing

19. - Top - End - #319
    Orc in the Playground

As I was brutally reworking these classes for a game I have in the works, I noticed there's a certain archetype missing for the Brawler...

Inebriate

Lesser Archetype Power (Glug Glug Glug): An inebriate may imbibe a drink as a move action. This grants him a +2 bonus to a physical ability score and a -2 penalty to a mental ability score, both of his choice. He can benefit from a maximum number of drinks equal to his level, and the bonus to any ability score cannot exceed his level. The effect of each drink lasts for an hour. In addition, when using improvised weapons, the inebriate deals either that weapon's damage or his slam damage, whichever is greater, and can use improvised weapons for any class feature that requires him to fight unarmed.
    Moderate Archetype Power (I Did What?): When an inebriate first begins drinking, he can select any fighter bonus feat (treat him as a fighter of his class level) that he meets the prerequisites for. He benefits from that feat until he no longer continues to be under the effect of a drink. He can also take a drink as a swift action.
    Greater Archetype Power (How the Hell Did I Get Here?): An inebriate, while under the effect of a drink, can teleport his speed as a move action, provided that no one is paying attention (defined as actively watching, listening to, or being engaged in combat with him). No line of sight or effect is necessary. In addition, whenever someone misses him with an attack while he's under the effect of a drink, he can take a 5ft step as a free action.
    Last edited by Agent_0042; 2013-01-07 at 05:58 PM.
    Shugenja (3.5 Base Class, Redux, Mostly Complete, Orders and Extra Material WIP)
    Planar Thaumaturge (3.5 Prestige Class, Complete)
    Event Horizon (3.5 Discipline, Mostly Complete)

Reposting the Martial Compendium (All the material I could recover from the old Wizards forums)

20. - Top - End - #320

I really love the work you're doing here, and I've recently (read: non-stop for the past few days) been creating NPC tokens for MapTool using these classes (anyone interested in them just ask and I'll give you what I have). Lots of good stuff here, but I have a few questions and concerns:

Are there plans of a purely ranged based martial character without the animal companion? The Hunter is otherwise perfect, but the animal companion kinda messes the whole idea up. Right now I'm not using an animal companion for my archer characters, but it feels slightly off not to use a thing the class provides. Some sort of alternative class feature? Or do you recommend using existing alternative ranger class features?

About the brawler, I'm happy that the asian fluff is removed from the base class itself, but it still relies on wisdom for AC. It's a bit difficult to make a good unarmed/armored brawler who isn't basically Confucius.

Third, I found a rather funny point of abuse. Get a landsknecht with the feats Stand Still, Hold The Line, and a longspear as a weapon. Set the spear against a charge and wait for an enemy to engage you in melee. Get an instant AoO from Hold The Line (allows you to get an AoO against any enemy charging your threatened space) and either deal double damage or use Stand Still to force the enemy to stop 95% of the time if it hits. Heck, at level 4 you don't even need Stand Still anymore.

Even further, get two landsknechts, put them next to each other, and if an enemy attacks either landsknecht, the other gets an AoO against them, giving the attacker a massive penalty to attack.

That said, Sentinels do seem a bit too good at tanking. The DR is really high, Clear And Present Danger gives a massive penalty, and two of them can easily lockdown enemies with a few feats.

Moving on. What suggestions would you have for a swashbucklery character? Namely, I'm building a few pirate NPCs, and I'm wondering about the classes. Right now I'm looking at a combination of Thief-Acrobat and Pit Fighter, which are both appropriate enough (pirates like rigging and fighting dirty), but I'm wondering if there are any plans for a light armored, full BAB class.

And finally: Blue Mages have the counterspell ability, and it seems a bit too powerful, to be honest. Automatically counterspelling an enemy is really good, and making them not able to cast for 1 round is even better. I personally think there should be some opposed caster level check (perhaps with a bonus) to dispel it, as dispelling is normally automatic but only usable with a readied Dispel Magic spell (or the specific spell in question). Or perhaps that the spell used to counter should be of the same school as the one being countered. This would require the Blue Mage to ready a certain spell from his known list, but it wouldn't be an automatic dispel, which I think is too powerful.

That said, love the work you're doing here.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Actana View Post
    I really love the work you're doing here, and I've recently (read: non-stop for the past few days) been creating NPC tokens for MapTool using these classes (anyone interested in them just ask and I'll give you what I have). Lots of good stuff here, but I have a few questions and concerns:

Are there plans of a purely ranged based martial character without the animal companion? The Hunter is otherwise perfect, but the animal companion kinda messes the whole idea up. Right now I'm not using an animal companion for my archer characters, but it feels slightly off not to use a thing the class provides. Some sort of alternative class feature? Or do you recommend using existing alternative ranger class features?
    The animal companion could easily be replaced by the ranger's combat style ability, if you prefer. It didn't used to be a function of the whole class (just the Beastmaster), so the class doesn't really turn on that axis. The hunter is still in need of an overhaul.

About the brawler, I'm happy that the asian fluff is removed from the base class itself, but it still relies on wisdom for AC. It's a bit difficult to make a good unarmed/armored brawler who isn't basically Confucius.
    Could have sworn I maintained the option to use Intelligence instead when I revamped that. I guess I did not. I can easily add that back in.

Third, I found a rather funny point of abuse. Get a landsknecht with the feats Stand Still, Hold The Line, and a longspear as a weapon. Set the spear against a charge and wait for an enemy to engage you in melee. Get an instant AoO from Hold The Line (allows you to get an AoO against any enemy charging your threatened space) and either deal double damage or use Stand Still to force the enemy to stop 95% of the time if it hits. Heck, at level 4 you don't even need Stand Still anymore.

Even further, get two landsknechts, put them next to each other, and if an enemy attacks either landsknecht, the other gets an AoO against them, giving the attacker a massive penalty to attack.

That said, Sentinels do seem a bit too good at tanking. The DR is really high, Clear And Present Danger gives a massive penalty, and two of them can easily lockdown enemies with a few feats.
    Part of me almost wants to label that a feature, not a bug, because it's hilarious and kind of awesome. The Sentinel is still also under review; I will take your notes here into consideration accordingly.

Moving on. What suggestions would you have for a swashbucklery character? Namely, I'm building a few pirate NPCs, and I'm wondering about the classes. Right now I'm looking at a combination of Thief-Acrobat and Pit Fighter, which are both appropriate enough (pirates like rigging and fighting dirty), but I'm wondering if there are any plans for a light armored, full BAB class.
    A long time ago, I had a planned class called the Corsair that was to do just that. It never worked out because my design was boring and straight-up awful. So that class got ditched, basically, and never revisited. Perhaps a hunter that uses firearms and has a parrot companion? A Bravado Poet?

And finally: Blue Mages have the counterspell ability, and it seems a bit too powerful, to be honest. Automatically counterspelling an enemy is really good, and making them not able to cast for 1 round is even better. I personally think there should be some opposed caster level check (perhaps with a bonus) to dispel it, as dispelling is normally automatic but only usable with a readied Dispel Magic spell (or the specific spell in question). Or perhaps that the spell used to counter should be of the same school as the one being countered. This would require the Blue Mage to ready a certain spell from his known list, but it wouldn't be an automatic dispel, which I think is too powerful.
    A fair point here. Automatic abilities should probably be reconsidered in favor of straight numerical bonuses or alternate options, if only for sanity's sake.

That said, love the work you're doing here.
    Hey, thanks!

22. - Top - End - #322
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

I don't think so, a brute has still a better self defense (think for a 32 point buy level 6 dwarf with 20 str and 19 -> 20 co (lvl4) with ettercap berserker and the rage improvement feat from races of stone and roll with it from savage species standing on stone ground with the racial ability from lvl 6) he gets 14 dr/- which all stack. and has during rage 17 more maximal life.

i think the clear and present danger and warding ability are really needed to cope with the warriors, since the sentinels damage output is ridiculous in comparison to the other warrior classes.

Compare the landsknechts damage to the brutes :D

the landsknecht does with a great spear (since he requires the range) 1d12 +7 (assuming 20 str) = 19,5 average
    and a brute does with a great sword 2d6 + 12 (20 +4 rage +2 imp rage = 26) +3 weapon of choice +2 weapon spec + 12 from power attack since he has 6 more attack bonus (3 rage 3 weapon of choice) = 36 average even if the enemies are that stupid to charge him while he set his up his spear he is doing only 3 more damage than a brute with an average strike. Not even mentioning how badly he is in comparison to a vindicator versus his favored enemy.

How about:
    Counterspell Mastery:*The magician can transform any of his spells spontaneously into a counterspell, unlike a true counterspell, you must succeed a caster level check with dc 5 + caster level of the spell which shall be countered. You may only counter spells with an equal or lesser level than the transformed spell.
    In addition, if he successfully counters a spell, the originator of the countered spell may not cast spells for one round unless he succeeds a caster level check versus the magician.
    Last edited by theDuskling; 2013-01-14 at 02:21 PM.

23. - Top - End - #323

Quote Originally Posted by theDuskling View Post
    I don't think so, a brute has still a better self defense (think for a 32 point buy level 6 dwarf with 20 str and 19 -> 20 co (lvl4) with ettercap berserker and the rage improvement feat from races of stone and roll with it from savage species standing on stone ground with the racial ability from lvl 6) he gets 14 dr/- which all stack. and has during rage 17 more maximal life.

i think the clear and present danger and warding ability are really needed to cope with the warriors, since the sentinels damage output is ridiculous in comparison to the other warrior classes.

Compare the landsknechts damage to the brutes :D

the landsknecht does with a great spear (since he requires the range) 1d12 +7 (assuming 20 str) = 19,5 average
    and a brute does with a great sword 2d6 + 12 (20 +4 rage +2 imp rage = 26) +3 weapon of choice +2 weapon spec + 12 from power attack since he has 6 more attack bonus (3 rage 3 weapon of choice) = 36 average even if the enemies are that stupid to charge him while he set his up his spear he is doing only 3 more damage than a brute with an average strike. Not even mentioning how badly he is in comparison to a vindicator versus his favored enemy.
    First of all I will admit I'm mostly talking about a very NPC-centric campaign with fewer monsters. And yeah, the damage capabilities are a bit lower. Still, even with an average damage of 19, Clear And Present Danger is ridiculously good. "Hey, you didn't attack me. Here, have a -19 to attack." Besides, the sentinel can power attack too, increasing the average damage from 19 to 31. Not that it'll likely hit anything when power attacking, but it makes me giggle to give someone a -31 to attack. Assuming a human (it's the basic assumption for my NPCs), they have the feats Combat Reflexes, Power Attack, Hold The Line, and something for 6th level which I haven't thought about because I haven't got any 6th level sentinels yet. Stand Still becomes redundant after level 5 due to Stalwart Defender. Since Stand Still is the basic CC ability for martial characters, either not taking it because you'll get a better one later or having it become useless after level 5 is a bit annoying.

Personally I don't even mind the huge tankiness of the sentinel, because I'm using these classes for NPCs and having an effective lockdown tank class makes for interesting tactics and forces the PCs to adjust to them, but I still think giving over -10 penalties to attack is pretty ridiculous, even if you need to hit with the AoO.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ettin in the Playground

Since Stand Still is the basic CC ability for martial characters, either not taking it because you'll get a better one later or having it become useless after level 5 is a bit annoying.
    Maybe have it be a free retrain once you get to level 5? Been a while since I posted on the project, I had the feeling that Gnorman was doing a fairly big overhaul.
    LGBTA+itP

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ogre in the Playground

There is a pretty drastic overhaul of the combat and skilled classes coming, once I do more work on the new combat tactics and skill tricks subsystems. The planned changes are enough of an uprooting that I will be throwing out some classes entirely and replacing them with new ones. I'll retain this one as a separate system, if only because it will be so different.

Planned combat classes: Barbarian, Duskblade, Hexblade, Paladin, Warlord

Planned skilled classes: Assassin, Bard, Monk, Ranger, Swashbuckler

Planned casting classes (relatively unchanged): Cleric, Druid, Warlock, Warmage, Wizard

The names of the classes are still under review (and do not necessarily reflect their mechanics - the Monk in particular will be significantly overhauled and more similar to the current Sage), but it should give you a rudimentary idea of what's coming.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

There is a pretty drastic overhaul of the combat and skilled classes coming, once I do more work on the new combat tactics and skill tricks subsystems. The planned changes are enough of an uprooting that I will be throwing out some classes entirely and replacing them with new ones. I'll retain this one as a separate system, if only because it will be so different.

Planned combat classes: Barbarian, Duskblade, Hexblade, Paladin, Warlord

Planned skilled classes: Assassin, Bard, Monk, Ranger, Swashbuckler

Planned casting classes (relatively unchanged): Cleric, Druid, Warlock, Warmage, Wizard

The names of the classes are still under review (and do not necessarily reflect their mechanics - the Monk in particular will be significantly overhauled and more similar to the current Sage), but it should give you a rudimentary idea of what's coming.
    Sounds good, but i think a Hexblades and Duskblades are very similiar so the hexblade could rather be a kit/archetype.
    the combat classes lack the good old warrior/fighter/mercenary, who has no magical or divine powers at all and is not a leader type either like the warlord

edit: btw i miscalculated badly in my last post the landsknecht would be with 2d6 + 7 at 3,5 + 3,5 + 7 = 14 average damage
    Last edited by theDuskling; 2013-01-15 at 03:45 AM.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't let the 4E terminology fool you there; the Warlord will mostly be what you think of as a straight Fighter, with an emphasis on versatility, tactical ability, and yes, maybe a little bit of leading the troops. "Fighter" is just too limited a conceptual space for me, and "mundane guy who hits things with sword" is a relic I personally would like to move away from. The Warlord will come closest, but even then he will be "guy who survives a thousand battles and becomes imbued with the very 'spirits' of war, strategy, and tactics." Think of them as all being "Fighters" with Paladin, Duskblade, whatever, as being their archetype. Same with the skilled classes - they're all "Rogues."

Hexblades and Duskblades will play very differently - one will concentrate on using elemental magic to control the battlefield, while the other will focus on leaving their foes a gibbering wreck through fear, intimidation, and dark curses. The names will likely be changed as well - say, Spellsword and Dark Knight, something like that.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground

"guy who survives a thousand battles and becomes imbued with the very 'spirits' of war, strategy, and tactics."
    If that's the fluff and there isn't a version that summons those spirits as allies, I will be severely disappointed.
    Because that would be awesome.
    Some men just want to watch the world shift uncomfortably in its seat.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    I happen to like screwing around with Handle Animal.
    Red Mage, is that you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Now you're cranking it up to eleven.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    A week ago, I didn't know who you were. Now I know: you're the BEST PERSON EVER.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    You seem to be having trouble with the idea that a rulebook can contradict itself, because it shouldn't, but...WotC.

If you're reading this for some reason, you can find me in a few places on the web as azoicennead.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

A Primer on Tactics

Tactics, like ToB maneuvers, represent spectacular things that warriors can do with their martial prowess. There are a few key differences, though:

1. Unlike ToB maneuvers, a combat class knows all the tactics in its disciplines, once the appropriate level is attained. Each class has access to one unique discipline, and may choose two others from a common list. So your Spellsword class gets access to the Elemental Fury discipline, and can choose two of the following (obviously, the names need work): Two-Handed, Two-Weapon-Fighting, Sword and Board, Tanking, or Mobility. Depending on your choices, you could either have a heavily-armored warrior who places down rings of stone spikes to dissuade his foes from leaving his threatened area, or a lightning-fast skirmisher who dashes across the battlefield, stabbing all the way.

2. Tactics do not need to be readied and are not expended when used. Tactics key off of a separate resource system, represented by some kind of Points (I haven't decided on a name yet - Rage Points, Blitz Points, Gambit Points, or perhaps just the obvious Tactics Points). At the start of a combat encounter, a warrior will have . Different combat classes generate these points in different ways - a paladin, for example, would generate points when he is attacked or when he heals an ally, whereas a barbarian would generate points when he attacks or perhaps at a steady rate while in a rage. The method of generating points will be in tune with the function of the class - defensive classes will generate points by defending things. There will be a cap on these points as well, either equal to character level or a flat five or six (I have not decided). I also have not decided how many points (if any) a character would start combat with, or if I should cap the amount of points one could gain in a single round. Part of me wants to say that if the paladin is being attacked six times in round, he should get six skill points for a couple of reasons: 1. he's defending his party from those attacks, which is a very apt thing for a paladin to do (self-sacrifice), and 2. the personal risk he took by doing so should come with a consummate reward, which is the opportunity to wreak justice on his enemies next round.

3. Using a tactic is similar to using a maneuver, in that it requires the same kinds of actions (standard, unless otherwise noted). Tactics that are functionally similar to Counters, Stances, and Boosts will likely exist.

Let's look at an example tactic, Backstab, which probably ends up sorted into the "Mobility" discipline.

Backstab
    Level: 1
    Point Cost: 2
    Make a melee attack against an opponent who is denied his Dexterity bonus to AC, or an opponent that you are currently flanking. If the attack is successful, it deals double damage.

Because Backstab is conditional and low-level, the skill point cost is low. A raging barbarian could do this almost every round, if he wanted. While that may seem like a flat damage increase, there are ways for the target to deal with the problem - first being kill the barbarian.

Other tactics might be powerful, but limited by a high point cost. The fact that there are two limitations (points and level) allows to me to keep low-level tactics relevant even when higher-level ones come online - the low-level ones will have generally lower point costs, and so are the kinds of things a warrior could bust out every round. Or, he could save up for a big effect.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ettin in the Playground

Would the revamped skill tricks be similar?
    LGBTA+itP