New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Gnorman's Complete E6 Compendium

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    Would the revamped skill tricks be similar?
    Somewhat, yes. They would be organized in the same manner (along "disciplines") but probably have a per encounter resource schedule. I have not decided whether they will be able to "know" all the skill tricks of a particular discipline, or if they would get a certain number per level. I'm leaning towards a hybrid system where they get a certain number automatically, and can spend skill points to learn more.

Combat classes: can keep fighting all day long, though their utility outside combat is somewhat limited. I intend some Tactics to have out-of-combat utility, but not as much as Tricks. However, to actually use their Tactics on a consistent basis, they have to fight, be that swinging a sword or deflecting a blow or dodging an arrow. I haven't yet decided what the resource generation system will be out of combat, but there will have to be one.

Skilled classes: can do a lot of different things in and out of combat, but eventually their bag of tricks is empty. Not great at using the same trick twice ("Fool me once..."), but make up for it by having lots of options at their disposal. The other option I'm kicking around is similar to Inspiration Points.

Magic classes: They have spells. 'nuff said.

EDIT: here's an example of a Tactic with out-of-combat utility, and a possible idea for augmentation.

On Heaven's Wings
    Discipline: Divine Favor
    Point Cost: 3

You grow majestic, angelic wings that give you a 60' fly speed, with good maneuverability. This ability lasts one round.

Augmentation: For 2 additional Points, this ability instead lasts for a number of rounds equal to your Charisma modifier.

Point Generation mechanics

Barbarian: Attacking, raging
    Blackguard: Demoralizing foes, causing fear, being damaged
    Spellsword: Dealing elemental damage, countering/absorbing spells
    Paladin: Healing, protecting allies
    Warlord: Performing combat maneuvers, making saves, dodging attacks

2. - Top - End - #332
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

This looks interesting and should halt all the nay sayers who said this system was too samey. Reading with anticipation.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mangles View Post
    This looks interesting and should halt all the nay sayers who said this system was too samey. Reading with anticipation.
    WHO SAID THAT*

*desire for revenge not actually real

EDIT:

The Monk

The warrior-monks of Vostok Abbey believe firmly that, to be an enlightened devotee, one must perfect the practice of physical and mental awareness. One must understand the abilities and limits of one's mind and body, to their fullest extent. However, this is not the full extent of their teachings. They also believe that, to truly conquer doubt and sin, one must understand the abilities and limits of those who would destroy the peace and harmony they seek to attain. As such, the intimate knowledge of a nerve cluster, a sensitive tendon, or a vital organ is just as important as self-knowledge and meditation. Monks of Vostok Abbey are active adventurers, rooting out evil wherever it can be found and stamping it out whenever possible. Versed not only in spiritual matters, they have an extensive understanding of anatomy (humanoid or otherwise), mystic traditions, and the healing arts. With a touch, they can accelerate the body's natural healing abilities or create a destructive dissonance. They know exactly which part of the illithid's squiddish head to smack to prevent it from using its Psionic Blast ability. While they do not possess the combat prowess of the Paladin or the magical prowess of the Cleric, their skills allow them to uncover and confront evil on their own terms.

4. - Top - End - #334

PirateGuy

Some lame guys on another forum who were shown this homebrew. I remember a mention about it way back.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mangles View Post
    Some lame guys on another forum who were shown this homebrew. I remember a mention about it way back.
    Oh, the Den guys? Even so, I got some decent feedback (decent in terms of ideas, not necessarily civility) from them. It all works out, I suppose.

Anyway, I've been cobbling together the first discipline, the Paladin's. Here's a first look at it.

Divine Favor

Level 1

Benediction
    Point Cost: 1
    Effect: As an immediate action, you lend your strength to an ally in trouble. One ally within 30' gains a sacred bonus equal to your Charisma modifier on all saves for one round.
    Augmentation: For two additional Points, the ally gains the bonus to their armor class. For two additional Points, all allies within 30' gain the bonus. The bonuses still only last one round.

Holy Smite
    Point Cost: 1
    Effect: Make a melee attack with a bonus to the attack roll equal to your Charisma modifier. If it connects, it deals additional divine damage equal to your level.
    Augmentation: For one additional Point, this Tactic instead deals additional damage equal to twice your level. For two additional Points, this Tactic instead deals additional damage equal to 1d6 per Paladin level.

Lay On Hands
    Point Cost: 2
    Effect: One ally you can touch is healed a number of hit points equal to your Paladin level plus your Charisma modifier. Alternatively, you may make a melee touch attack against an undead opponent. If successful, you deal divine damage equal to your Paladin level plus your Charisma modifier.
    Augmentation: For two additional Points, the amount healed or damage dealt is doubled.

Level 2

Divine Presence
    Effect: You project an aura of divine retribution to a radius of 30'. Opponents within that radius must make a Will save (DC: 12 + your Charisma modifier) or become shaken for three rounds.
    Augmentation: For two additional Points, this Tactic instead causes opponents to be frightened. Even on a successful save, they are shaken.

Level 3

Archon's Fire
    Point Cost: 5
    Effect: One opponent within 60' is struck from above by heavenly wrath. They are dealt 8d6 damage, half of which is fire and half of which is divine. A successful Reflex save (DC: 13 + your Charisma modifier) halves the damage .
    Augmentation: None.

On Heaven's Wings
    Effect: You grow angelic wings that give you a fly speed of 60', with good maneuverability. The wings last for one round.
    Augmentation: For an additional two Points, the wings last instead a number of rounds equal to your Charisma modifier.

Terrible Swift Sword
    Effect: As a swift action, your weapon becomes wreathed in divine energies. For one round, it gains the Holy property.
    Augmentation: For each additional Point expended, the weapon's enhancement bonus increases by +1, to a maximum of +3.

6. - Top - End - #336

Does Terrible Swift Sword have anything that prevents it from turning a +3 weapon into an epic +6 weapon? It's untyped, it trumps (and stacks with) greater magic weapon. Not much of an issue in e6, but if the PCs ever get their hands on a +3 weapon it could be used to slay deities.
    Last edited by Thomar_of_Uointer; 2013-01-17 at 01:27 PM.
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ettin in the Playground

Depends on your definition of "to a maximum of +3." I read it as meaning that this bonus cannot increase the enhancement bonus to more than +3. Either way, clarification is good.
    LGBTA+itP

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ogre in the Playground

Fair points, though I was under the impression that, as an enhancement bonus, it would not stack with Magic Weapon (as a side note, in an E6 environment, it would be very difficult to have GMW go beyond +2 - even that requires CL boosters).

What if augmentation increased the duration, instead, and conferred a +1 enhancement bonus only if the weapon did not already possess one?

Failing that, one could just say that "This ability cannot increase the enhancement value of the weapon beyond +3."

In any case, do you think the discipline helps to solve some of the problems endemic to combat classes? I have a few goals with each one: add ways to target a variety of defenses beyond AC, give them mobility options that can compare favorably with Fly or Spider Climb, allow them to have some out-of-combat utility (this one, admittedly, I have not done yet here).

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ogre in the Playground

So here is a bare-bones revamp of the Black Mage, now renamed the Warlock. Archetypes have changed significantly - now, instead of adding bonus spells, they allow you to add different spells to your list through Advanced Learning. This will allow a little more customization.

The Warlock

HD: d6
    Class Skills: Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Intimidate, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (dungeoneering), Knowledge (religion), Knowledge (the planes), Profession, Spellcraft
    Skill Points: 2 + Int per level (4x at 1st)

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|0|1|2|3

1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Spellcasting, Minor Path|5|4|-|-

2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Advanced Learning|6|5|-|-

3rd|+1|+1|+1|+3|Moderate Path|6|6|3|-

4th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Advanced Learning|6|6|4|-

5th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Minion Mastery|6|5|3|-

6th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Advanced Learning, Major Path|6|6|6|4[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: The warlock is proficient with all simple weapons and light armor. A warlock may cast arcane spells in light armor without incurring the normal arcane spell failure chance.

Spellcasting: The warlock casts spells drawn from a specialized list given below. The warlock may spontaneously cast any spell on his list, assuming that he still has spells per day available of that level. When access to a new level of spells is gained, the warlock automatically learns all spells of that level on his list. The number of spells he may cast per day is given in the above table. To cast a spell, the warlock must have a Intelligence equal to 10 + the level of the spell in question. A warlock receives bonus spells for having a Intelligence. The DC of a warlock spell is equal to 10 + the spell's level + the warlock's Charisma modifier.

Minor Path: The warlock chooses one of the abilities below.

Path of the Diabolist: [insert ability here]. Additionally, when learning new spells with your Advanced Learning ability, you may select spells from the evocation school or spells with the [fire] descriptor.

Path of the Necromancer: Doesn't get access to new schools or subtypes, but will likely have a stronger ability here. Probably the "default" choice.

Path of the Hexer: May add spells from the illusion or enchantment schools with Advanced Learning.

Path of the Pestilent: May add spells from the druid list with Advanced Learning

Path of the White Witch: May add spells from the abjuration or divination schools.

Advanced Learning: At 2nd level, (and again at 4th and 6th), the warlock may add two spells to his list of spells known. The warlock may only add spells of the necromancy or conjuration schools from either the cleric or the sorcerer/wizard list, or any spell with the [evil] descriptor. The warlock may not learn any spell with a level higher than the highest level he knows at the time.

Moderate Path: Either pick a minor path you don't know or get the next ability.

Major Path: Same as Moderate, basically.

So you can either invest fully in your "archetype" and get the most benefit, or you can dabble around a bit and gain access to a wider range of spells.

10. - Top - End - #340

The warlock uses int for bonus spells but cha for DC's?
    ~ZA

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZeltArruin View Post
    The warlock uses int for bonus spells but cha for DC's?
    Yes, that is intentional. All of the spellcasting classes will have the same split - Int/Cha for arcane, Wis/Cha for divine.

12. - Top - End - #342

Quote Originally Posted by Gnorman View Post
    Yes, that is intentional. All of the spellcasting classes will have the same split - Int/Cha for arcane, Wis/Cha for divine.
    Not a bad idea, that could balance casters significantly by removing their single ability dependency. It also fits with many of the archetypical wizards and sorcerers from fiction being socially adept, and only falling back on magic as a last resort.
    Last edited by Thomar_of_Uointer; 2013-01-31 at 12:27 PM.
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

13. - Top - End - #343

Interesting. Felt I had to ask though, the black mage was a charisma caster before, and it could have been missed.
    ~ZA

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ogre in the Playground

Charisma being the grab-bag catch-all stat that it is, it felt appropriate to have it as a secondary stat for mage classes. It will determine the strength of DCs and class abilities. I hesitated on introducing MAD, but if anyone needs it, it's the casters.

Generally, the combat and skilled classes alike will have secondary mental stats as well. I'm hoping to construct this is a way that doesn't penalize them more as compared to the casters, but it may be a losing proposition.

Intelligence - Warlord, Assassin, Duskblade
    Wisdom - Monk, Ranger, Barbarian
    Charisma - Bard, Paladin, Swashbuckler, Hexblade

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ogre in the Playground

Tyrant

Lesser Archetype Power: A tyrant may attempt to "motivate" his allies into performing better. In addition, intimidation attempts made by a tyrant do not cause the target to default to unfriendly or hostile after the tyrant leaves the target's presence.
    What does it mean to "motivate his allies into performing better"? Is this an oversight or something you just haven't gotten around to?
    Want to test your mettle in the Irorium Arena? Always accepting new gladiators!

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyKP View Post
    What does it mean to "motivate his allies into performing better"? Is this an oversight or something you just haven't gotten around to?
    It might be both. Most likely it was a placeholder from when I made minions a Noble class feature rather than Tyrant-specific. Will fix.

EDIT:

"A tyrant may attempt to "motivate" his allies into performing better as a full-round action. All minions (including other player characters) within 30' receive a +2 competence bonus to all attack and damage rolls, their base land speed increases by 10', and they are temporarily immune to all fear or negative morale effects These bonuses last a number of rounds equal to the tyrant's level. In addition, intimidation attempts made by a tyrant do not cause the target to default to unfriendly or hostile after the tyrant leaves the target's presence."

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

Awesome, thanks!

Also, it looks like a game is starting up that may be using your system. Do you have an ETA for your new Warlord stuff? That all seems like it'd fit in quite well with the idea of the game being worked on.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ogre in the Playground

Awesome, thanks!

Also, it looks like a game is starting up that may be using your system. Do you have an ETA for your new Warlord stuff? That all seems like it'd fit in quite well with the idea of the game being worked on.
    I seriously doubt I could get the overhaul done in time for that game, much as it seems like it would mesh quite well. Unfortunately, I can't really make firm deadlines anymore - grad school eats up a good portion of my time these days.

The best I could say is "by September at the very latest, hopefully much sooner."

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ogre in the Playground

Hahah, I love the nice wide window. But no worries, there is enough awesome stuff in your system now to work for the game.

Thanks for the Tyrant update! I guess it is basically an alternative to the Commanding Pressence ability that comes at 1st level instead of 5th.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ogre in the Playground

Hahah, I love the nice wide window. But no worries, there is enough awesome stuff in your system now to work for the game.

Thanks for the Tyrant update! I guess it is basically an alternative to the Commanding Pressence ability that comes at 1st level instead of 5th.
    Ugh I totally forgot about that, and now the tyrant's ability seems unnecessarily duplicative. I'm going to change it to exploding minions now.

21. - Top - End - #351

So, was looking over the Brawler[Bruiser] setup and noticed something kinda odd. The Bruiser Battlefist is considered masterwork and can be enchanted, which essentially overlaps and makes useless the Brawler 4th level ability Strike the Heavens.

Perhaps the Bruiser should get something else to replace that ability? I noticed earlier in the thread there was discussion about making the Battlefist be considered a 2H weapon for damage purposes. Perhaps this happens at level 4 instead of the now-useless Strike the Heavens ability?

EDIT: Also, with the human epic destiny feat Factotum, it mentions that the bonus on the Versatility skills increases to +6, but there's no base bonus to increase at all.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground

I do not know what your submission policy is, but I believe you are missing a few archetypes.
    For example the Beacon of Hope archetype for the Zealot, the walkin, talkin buff machine

L. Swift emanation: you can change an aura much faster than normal. After a full round action, your aura start spreading 5ft/round up to your maximum radius and increasing by 1 point od Cha modifier/round up to your maximum Cha modifier.
    M. Level field: allies gain the full benefits of your auras.
    G. Double Aura: exactly what it says on the tin: two concurrent auras If you are worried about too much power (?), maybe you can have this second aura function at half power for allies.

Aaaand, you are also missing a leader by example kind of guy. He should do the opposite of the warlord: while the latter decrease his effectiveness to increase other's, he should tie his results with the group's. Not sure this belongs in the Zealot or Noble's camp, but it should be something like this (could use some more polish):

L. You Hit like this: allies within 10ft (?) gain a bonus equal to (half?twice?) your Cha modifier to damage rolls against a target you successfully damaged in the last round.
    M. You dodge like that:allies within 10ft (?) gain a bonus equal to (half?) your Cha modifier to AC and/or saves against a target tat missed you last round.
    G. You Smack this way: allies within 10ft (?) gain a bonus equal to (half?) your Cha modifier to attack rolls against a target you successfully hit in the last round.

Any thoughts?

Edit: also, but that might have been adressed elsewhere, why did you put death ward as the capstone SLA of the Black Mage? Since both his minions and himself are immune to death effects etc, I'd say it really does him no good, does it? Nor he looks the type to spread the love around

Edit 2: wouldn't it be more consistent for the noble to replenish Impel's uses on an Encounter basis, like the Smite opposition? beside, it's simply swapping one action for another of the same value, so I do not see why the limitation in the first place...

Edit 3: the Bastion Archetype is missing is medium level power. How about "The sentinel does not suffer the penalty to attack rolls for using a tower shield, and armor check penalties are halved"?

The Landsknecht archetype is missing its greater level power. How about "As an immediate action, the Landsknecht can choose to take a 5ft step after an attack of opportunity"? It's kinda weak, but beats an empty spot and goes well with the spirit of the archetype.

Edit 4: last one, I promise. The Sentinel gains DR equal to half their CON or their Con MODIFIER? In case it is indeed the former (as written) it would be best to specify with a "NOT the Con modifier" sentence in the ability description.

Ugh I totally forgot about that, and now the tyrant's ability seems unnecessarily duplicative. I'm going to change it to exploding minions now.
    Uhm, no. The bonus types are different, and the tyrant's ability works for up to 6 rounds, so one could keep up both.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2013-02-07 at 07:46 PM.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

23. - Top - End - #353
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Gnorman's Complete E6 Compendium

Wow, happy to see new comics being posted, and also to see new posts in this thread. My son and I both really like your stuff here, Gnorman. We don't currently have a campaign going, but have agreed that our next one will use your E6 stuff.

PS: I hope your first semester grades turned out well. That was THE MOST stressful thing at my law school, especially for those of us on scholarship who needed good grades to stay in school. Don't worry, it gets easier from here on!

24. - Top - End - #354
    Troll in the Playground

This has probably been asked before, but does the Master at Arm's ability that doubles threat range stack with improved critical/keen?

Go Tigers!

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Holocron Coder View Post
    So, was looking over the Brawler[Bruiser] setup and noticed something kinda odd. The Bruiser Battlefist is considered masterwork and can be enchanted, which essentially overlaps and makes useless the Brawler 4th level ability Strike the Heavens.

Perhaps the Bruiser should get something else to replace that ability? I noticed earlier in the thread there was discussion about making the Battlefist be considered a 2H weapon for damage purposes. Perhaps this happens at level 4 instead of the now-useless Strike the Heavens ability?

EDIT: Also, with the human epic destiny feat Factotum, it mentions that the bonus on the Versatility skills increases to +6, but there's no base bonus to increase at all.
    Bruiser: good point. I'll take a look.

Factotum: oversight on my part - the ability now lets them pick new Versatility skills on a daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick View Post
    I do not know what your submission policy is, but I believe you are missing a few archetypes.
    For example the Beacon of Hope archetype for the Zealot, the walkin, talkin buff machine

L. Swift emanation: you can change an aura much faster than normal. After a full round action, your aura start spreading 5ft/round up to your maximum radius and increasing by 1 point od Cha modifier/round up to your maximum Cha modifier.
    M. Level field: allies gain the full benefits of your auras.
    G. Double Aura: exactly what it says on the tin: two concurrent auras If you are worried about too much power (?), maybe you can have this second aura function at half power for allies.

Aaaand, you are also missing a leader by example kind of guy. He should do the opposite of the warlord: while the latter decrease his effectiveness to increase other's, he should tie his results with the group's. Not sure this belongs in the Zealot or Noble's camp, but it should be something like this (could use some more polish):

L. You Hit like this: allies within 10ft (?) gain a bonus equal to (half?twice?) your Cha modifier to damage rolls against a target you successfully damaged in the last round.
    M. You dodge like that:allies within 10ft (?) gain a bonus equal to (half?) your Cha modifier to AC and/or saves against a target tat missed you last round.
    G. You Smack this way: allies within 10ft (?) gain a bonus equal to (half?) your Cha modifier to attack rolls against a target you successfully hit in the last round.

Any thoughts?

Edit: also, but that might have been adressed elsewhere, why did you put death ward as the capstone SLA of the Black Mage? Since both his minions and himself are immune to death effects etc, I'd say it really does him no good, does it? Nor he looks the type to spread the love around

Edit 2: wouldn't it be more consistent for the noble to replenish Impel's uses on an Encounter basis, like the Smite opposition? beside, it's simply swapping one action for another of the same value, so I do not see why the limitation in the first place...

Edit 3: the Bastion Archetype is missing is medium level power. How about "The sentinel does not suffer the penalty to attack rolls for using a tower shield, and armor check penalties are halved"?

The Landsknecht archetype is missing its greater level power. How about "As an immediate action, the Landsknecht can choose to take a 5ft step after an attack of opportunity"? It's kinda weak, but beats an empty spot and goes well with the spirit of the archetype.

Edit 4: last one, I promise. The Sentinel gains DR equal to half their CON or their Con MODIFIER? In case it is indeed the former (as written) it would be best to specify with a "NOT the Con modifier" sentence in the ability description.

Uhm, no. The bonus types are different, and the tyrant's ability works for up to 6 rounds, so one could keep up both.
    New archetypes: I like the Beacon of Hope - I'd been toying with one of the zealot's capstones being the ability to project two auras. Leader by Example could be fun, too - probably a Noble archetype.

Death Ward: it used to be Enervation, which I'd thought was a bit overpowered for E6. But my hesitation was probably due to metamagic abuse like Empower SLA - if I make it explicit that you can't use any metamagic feats, I might return it to Enervation (which really makes the most thematic sense).

Impel: I'll consider it. After all, White Raven Tactics can be used every encounter.

Bastion: When I overhauled the classes most recently, I never quite finished some of the archetypes. My bad. The sentinel is still in dire need of some work.

Landsknecht: See immediately above.

Sentinel's DR: DEFINITELY should have been half Constitution modifier. I've changed it to "Constitution modifier or level, whichever is lower" to prevent a high-CON sentinel from having DR 5/- at level 2, which would be a bit much, while still allowing it to scale up to 6/- at level 6, where it seems more acceptable.

Tyrant: Even if they stack, they're just too similar. I'm going to have the Tyrant be able to summon minions with thematic special abilities, like goblins with bombs strapped to their back. What evil overlord wouldn't love to be able to sacrifice minions to achieve their goals?

EDIT: Here's the new Tyrant ability:

Lesser Archetype Power: When summoning minions, the tyrant may apply one of the following three abilities to them:

Toxic Assassin: This minion gains the Sneak Attack ability of a 1st-level rogue, though it may only make such attacks with melee weapons. When it dies, it produces a noxious cloud that lingers in a 10' radius for three rounds, dealing 1d6 acid damage for each hit dice it has (minimum of one) per round to any creature caught inside. A Fortitude save (DC 11 + the minion's HD) negates the damage entirely. The minion may, as a standard action, sacrifice itself to produce the cloud.

Unstable Scout: This minion may teleport up to 20' as a move action, as per the Dimension Door spell. It may not bring other creatures or any objects besides its starting equipment, but it is not restricted from taking actions after doing so. The minion deals 1d6 electricity damage to anything caught in the path of its teleportation. When it dies, it may teleport up to three times as an immediate action, dealing 1d6 electricity damage per hit dice it has (minimum of one) to anything caught in the path of its teleportation (each target can only be damaged once). Any creature damaged by the minion's death throes must make a Will save (DC 11 + the minion's HD) or be stunned for one round. The minion may, as a standard action, sacrifice itself to trigger the triple teleportation effect.

Volatile Saboteur: This minion possesses a ranged attack that deals 1d6 fire damage. Treat this as a thrown weapon with a range increment of 20'. When this minion dies, it explodes, dealing 1d6 fire damage for each hit dice it has (minimum of one) in a 10' radius. A successful Reflex save (DC 11 + the minion's HD) halves the damage. The minion may, as a standard action, sacrifice itself to explode.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
    Wow, happy to see new comics being posted, and also to see new posts in this thread. My son and I both really like your stuff here, Gnorman. We don't currently have a campaign going, but have agreed that our next one will use your E6 stuff.

PS: I hope your first semester grades turned out well. That was THE MOST stressful thing at my law school, especially for those of us on scholarship who needed good grades to stay in school. Don't worry, it gets easier from here on!
    Thanks! I actually haven't gotten my grades back yet, but I'm crossing my fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by ForzaFiori View Post
    This has probably been asked before, but does the Master at Arm's ability that doubles threat range stack with improved critical/keen?
    The way it is written, it does. I could change it to avoid crit-stacking, but both Improved Critical and Keen are so difficult to get in E6 that I don't see it as too much of a problem.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ogre in the Playground

As long as we are offering suggestions, how about some ideas for the Swashbuckler Greater Archetype Power? Mix, match, tweak, and change these as you see fit.

Idea #1: Can attack with two weapons as a standard action instead of a full-round action.
    Idea #2: +4 bonus to initiative
    Idea #3: Opportunist ability
    Idea #4: Unwitting Ally
    Idea #5: Combat Reflexes
    Idea #6: Improved Two-Weapon Fighting (ignore pre-reqs)
    Idea #7: Lucky ability from here.
    Idea #8: Slippery Mind also from here.
    Idea #9: Positioning Attack
    Idea #10: Redirect Attack

Idea #11: Incorporating stuff from Combat Panache. Perhaps once per day (or once per encounter) the Swashbuckler can use one of the following abilities:

Fortuitous Tumble: For a brief moment, you appear to let your guard down. As your foe swings at you, you slip out of the way, causing his attack to slam into one of his allies. By positioning yourself correctly and making yourself an appealing target, you dupe your foe into making a critical blunder. To use this maneuver, you must be successfully attacked by a foe. On your next turn, you can take a move action to make a Bluff check opposed by his Sense Motive check. If you succeed on the check, you can take an immediate action at the start of your foe's next turn and designate a different target for your opponent's next melee attack (which must be a creature it threatens).

Play Dead: You crumple to the ground as if slain, luring your opponent into a false sense of security. As an immediate action after you are hit for at least 10 points of damage by a single attack, you can attempt to play dead. You drop prone and make a Bluff check opposed by your attacker's (or any other relevant observer's) Sense Motive check. If you succeed on this check, the observer assumes you are dead. If you subsequently rise and attack him in the same round, he loses any attack of opportunity he might have been entitled to against you, and he loses his Dexterity bonus to AC against the fi rst attack that you make. You can use this ability once per encounter. Standing up after playing dead does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Sneering Glower: With just the right mix of your intimidating presence and your martial talents, you strike such fear into your target that he has diffi culty fighting you effectively. On your next turn after you deal at least 1 point of damage to your opponent, you can make an Intimidate check against him as a move action. If you succeed on this check, your foe takes a penalty on his attack rolls against you equal to your Charisma bonus. You can gain this benefit against only one foe at a time; it lasts for the duration of the encounter or until you switch targets. If you designate a new target for this ability (by attempting a new Intimidate check against a different creature), the previous target no longer takes the penalty on his attack rolls against you. Opponents that are immune to the effects of the Intimidate skill, such as mindless creatures and those with immunity to fear, are immune to this maneuver.
    Last edited by OzzyKP; 2013-02-08 at 11:33 PM.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ogre in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Gnorman's Complete E6 Compendium

I'm interested in fleshing out the Charlatan class also.

Idea #1: Can always take 10 on Disguise, Bluff and Sleight of Hand
    Idea #2: Second Impression
    Idea #3: Feign Weakness
    Idea #4: Mosquito's Bite
    Idea #5: Hidden Blade
    Idea #6: Sudden Draw
    Idea #7: Fade into Violence
    Idea #8: Timely Misdirection
    Idea #9: Assume Quirk
    Idea #10: Flick of the Wrist
    Idea #11: Can perfectly mimic accents
    Idea #12: Can create a disguise in only 1-3 minutes
    Idea #13: Social Recovery
    Idea #14: Using slight of hand performance type stuff to fascinate onlookers like the bard spell.
    Idea #15: Ability to mimic spells, or abilities, or other people's rolls
    Idea #16: Bonus to disguise, bluff, sleight of hand
    Idea #17: Something involving some fast talking scam. Like a discount at stores gotten from confusing the merchant. Though that may be a normal bluff use....
    Idea #18: Ability to see through illusions, detect lies, etc
    Idea #19: Can use disguise skill in lieu of diplomacy for improving someone's attitude toward you, and can use bluff in lieu of diplomacy for getting them to perform an action. Or have them stack or something.
    Idea #20: Alter Ego from here.

Perhaps the capstone ability would involve pulling out a hidden weapon on someone you've gotten close to (either by distracting them with your legerdemain or having them think you aren't a threat thanks to your disguise), Attacking them (leaving them flat footed), and then immediately concealing your weapon again and making the recipient of the attack (and all onlookers) think the attack came from someone else nearby.

Basically you've got the Phantom who can be an assassin who attacks from the shadows and the Charlatan can be an assassin who attacks in plain sight. Then whistles a tune as he walks away.http://dndtools.pw/feats/complete-sc...os-bite--3294/
    Last edited by OzzyKP; 2015-07-06 at 08:43 AM.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ogre in the Playground

New archetypes: I like the Beacon of Hope - I'd been toying with one of the zealot's capstones being the ability to project two auras. Leader by Example could be fun, too - probably a Noble archetype.

Death Ward: it used to be Enervation, which I'd thought was a bit overpowered for E6. But my hesitation was probably due to metamagic abuse like Empower SLA - if I make it explicit that you can't use any metamagic feats, I might return it to Enervation (which really makes the most thematic sense).

Impel: I'll consider it. After all, White Raven Tactics can be used every encounter.
    Happy to contribute
    Bastion: When I overhauled the classes most recently, I never quite finished some of the archetypes. My bad. The sentinel is still in dire need of some work.

Landsknecht: See immediately above.

Sentinel's DR: DEFINITELY should have been half Constitution modifier. I've changed it to "Constitution modifier or level, whichever is lower" to prevent a high-CON sentinel from having DR 5/- at level 2, which would be a bit much, while still allowing it to scale up to 6/- at level 6, where it seems more acceptable.
    I do not want to pressure you or anything, but with the game starting and everything, it would really help to have something in that spot
    Tyrant: Even if they stack, they're just too similar. I'm going to have the Tyrant be able to summon minions with thematic special abilities, like goblins with bombs strapped to their back. What evil overlord wouldn't love to be able to sacrifice minions to achieve their goals?

EDIT: Here's the new Tyrant ability:

Lesser Archetype Power: When summoning minions, the tyrant may apply one of the following three abilities to them:

Toxic Assassin: This minion gains the Sneak Attack ability of a 1st-level rogue, though it may only make such attacks with melee weapons. When it dies, it produces a noxious cloud that lingers in a 10' radius for three rounds, dealing 1d6 acid damage for each hit dice it has (minimum of one) per round to any creature caught inside. A Fortitude save (DC 11 + the minion's HD) negates the damage entirely. The minion may, as a standard action, sacrifice itself to produce the cloud.

Unstable Scout: This minion may teleport up to 20' as a move action, as per the Dimension Door spell. It may not bring other creatures or any objects besides its starting equipment, but it is not restricted from taking actions after doing so. The minion deals 1d6 electricity damage to anything caught in the path of its teleportation. When it dies, it may teleport up to three times as an immediate action, dealing 1d6 electricity damage per hit dice it has (minimum of one) to anything caught in the path of its teleportation (each target can only be damaged once). Any creature damaged by the minion's death throes must make a Will save (DC 11 + the minion's HD) or be stunned for one round. The minion may, as a standard action, sacrifice itself to trigger the triple teleportation effect.

Volatile Saboteur: This minion possesses a ranged attack that deals 1d6 fire damage. Treat this as a thrown weapon with a range increment of 20'. When this minion dies, it explodes, dealing 1d6 fire damage for each hit dice it has (minimum of one) in a 10' radius. A successful Reflex save (DC 11 + the minion's HD) halves the damage. The minion may, as a standard action, sacrifice itself to explode.
    Well, I must say I love this concept. It reminds me a lot of Overlord - the game (probably intentional?). Much better than before.
    However, I think you just broke the class for me, as the game we are about to start takes the hard view against magical effects (i.e they are a no-no).
    Would it be possible to have an official-looking note saying that in low-magic settings the ability works as before (and link te description)? Otherwise I might have to change class after all.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ogre in the Playground

The new Tyrant power is indeed awesome. I think the first and third options could be completely explained non magically. The second one... Not so much.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, here's an alternate option

Unstable Hulk: This minion possesses damage reduction 3/-. It can also rage as a 1st-level barbarian, though it does not receive any additional hit points from the bonus to its Constitution score. However, at the end of the rage, the minion bursts in a shower of gore, splashing its remains in a 10' radius. Any creature caught in that radius must make a Will save or be sickened for three rounds.