New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Gnorman's Complete E6 Compendium

Here my spin off Pathfinder project Stormageddon's P6
    "On another note, good job, Stormageddon; planting the seeds of doubt and mistrust now will go a long way towards culturing an atmosphere of paranoia and neuroticism, perfect for any evil masterminding which your devious plans might require; it hearkens backs to the hoary days when E.G. Gygax himself strode among us." - White Drake Under The Red Sky Campaign

Under the Red Sky Pathfinder e6

My homebrew:

Stormageddon's Pathfinder/E6... P6 Compendium

(PF) Mistborn, Allomancer

2. - Top - End - #482
    Ogre in the Playground

In the interest of keeping myself honest and motivated, here's a to-do list. Please let me know if I've missed anything!

Classes

Brawler
    - Add a fifth archetype
    - Add Cenobite's Greater ability

Gladiator
    - Finish or replace Rage Magus
    - Revamp Vindicator

Hunter
    - Add a third capstone
    - Finish or replace Warden
    - Reevaluate Peltast
    - Add two more traps per level

Sentinel
    - Add a third capstone
    - Add Bastion's Moderate ability
    - Add a fifth archetype

Zealot
    - Add a fifth archetype
    - Finish or replace Cavalier
    - Reevaluate Initiate
    - Evaluate auras, including adding a third 3rd-level one

Engineer
    - Replace Machinist (setting-specific concerns)
    - Somehow make sense of the Innovator's invention-mixing ability
    - Finish standardizing invention categories

Noble
    - No changes planned at this time

Poet

Sage
    - Add two remaining capstones
    - Add Investigator's Greater ability
    - Reexamine Targeted Strike locations for balance

Scoundrel
    - Add a fifth archetype
    - Finish or replace Charlatan
    - Add two remaining capstones

All Magic Classes
    - Potentially remove bonus spells in favor of an Advanced Learning ability, with each archetype adding different categories of spells to choose from (Example: Black Mage wouuld normally only be able to add conjuration or necromancy spells from the Sorcerer/Wizard list. A Demonologist could add evocation spells, a Hexer could add enchantment spells, a Necromancer could add spells from the Cleric list, etc.)

Black Mage

Blue Mage

Green Mage

Red Mage
    - Replace Chaos Child
    - Alter Sand Shaper to be less setting-specific

White Mage
    - Add Divine Executioner's Moderate and Greater abilities
    - Add Champion's Moderate ability

All Psionic Classes
    - Remove non-core bonus spells in favor of available SRD ones (whether 3.5 or Dreamscarred Press)

Alternate Classes
    - Finish the Binder, Warlock, & Martial Adept

Monster Classes
    - Reexamine the Rakshasa
    - Finish the Djinn

Races
    - Finish the Automaton
    - Add the Reptilian (lizardfolk [three varieties] & yuan-ti)
    - Add the Goblinoid (goblin, hobgoblin, bugbear, and blue)
    - Add the Aberrant (various races created from/by illithid, aboleth, & beholders)

Spells
    - Add more ritual spells

Miscellaneous
    - Give the Tactics subsystem an honest go
    - Introduce or abandon the Tricks subsystem
    - Add the Barbarian and Warlord classes
    - Continue to add community contributions
    - Create new goals for the project

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ogre in the Playground

So, rather than have the Initiate, Rage Magus, Warden, etc., I decided to make a single, general archetype for all the half casters - the Spellsword.

Spellsword

Prerequisite: Any combat class

Lesser Archetype Power: The spellsword gains the ability to cast a number of spells, as per the table below. The spellsword selects one casting class (black mage, blue mage, etc.) from which to draw his list of spells known. Once chosen, this list is permanent. His casting keys off the same ability as the class whose spell list he chose (i.e. black and blue mages key off Intelligence, green and white mages key off Wisdom, and the red mage keys off Charisma). The spellsword suffers no arcane spell failure chance when casting while in light armor or equipped with a light shield.

{table=head]Spells Per Day
    {table=head]Level | 0 | 1 | 2
    1st|2|-|-
    2nd|3|0*|-
    3rd|3|1|-
    4th|3|2|0*
    5th|3|3|1
    6th|3|3|2 [/table][/table]

* provided that the spellsword has a high enough key ability score to have a bonus spell of that level

Moderate Archetype Power: The spellsword no longer suffers any arcane spell failure chance for casting while wearing medium armor or when equipped with heavy shield.
    Greater Archetype Power: Once per encounter, the spellsword may cast a spell with a range of personal or touch as a swift action. This ability only applies to spells with a normal casting time of a standard action.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnorman View Post
    So, rather than have the Initiate, Rage Magus, Warden, etc., I decided to make a single, general archetype for all the half casters - the Spellsword.

Spellsword

Prerequisite: Any combat class

Lesser Archetype Power: The spellsword gains the ability to cast a number of spells, as per the table below. The spellsword selects one casting class (black mage, blue mage, etc.) from which to draw his list of spells known. Once chosen, this list is permanent. His casting keys off the same ability as the class whose spell list he chose (i.e. black and blue mages key off Intelligence, green and white mages key off Wisdom, and the red mage keys off Charisma). The spellsword suffers no arcane spell failure chance when casting while in light armor or equipped with a light shield.

{table=head]Spells Per Day
    {table=head]Level | 0 | 1 | 2
    1st|2|-|-
    2nd|3|0*|-
    3rd|3|1|-
    4th|3|2|0*
    5th|3|3|1
    6th|3|3|2 [/table][/table]

* provided that the spellsword has a high enough key ability score to have a bonus spell of that level

Moderate Archetype Power: The spellsword no longer suffers any arcane spell failure chance for casting while wearing medium armor or when equipped with heavy shield.
    Greater Archetype Power: Once per encounter, the spellsword may cast a spell with a range of personal or touch as a swift action. This ability only applies to spells with a normal casting time of a standard action.
    It feels a bit empty, in part because it doesn't gain unique abilities. I don't know if that's acceptable to people who normally play gishes, but in this project, you've made an effort to even give special abilities to casters in addition to their spellcasting. While it is more practical, and works as a good stand-in, is it possible to give them access to a group of Gish feats that give some of the abilities you used to have on the listed classes?
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashmir View Post
    When I die, I donate my body to the cause of whatever ******* finds it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

5. - Top - End - #485
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Madara View Post
    It feels a bit empty, in part because it doesn't gain unique abilities. I don't know if that's acceptable to people who normally play gishes, but in this project, you've made an effort to even give special abilities to casters in addition to their spellcasting. While it is more practical, and works as a good stand-in, is it possible to give them access to a group of Gish feats that give some of the abilities you used to have on the listed classes?
    The problem with generic archetypes is that you can't really add unique abilities without coming with a specific one for each base class, which admittedly is completely possible (that was Rizban's technique). My feeling on the subject is that spells are generally powerful enough of an ability to make up for the loss of special abilities. And they'll still have their base abilities - a Spellsword Zealot will have his auras, a Spellsword Hunter traps and the animal companion, etc. I just thought it might be a handy design shortcut. I'm not ruling out the possibility of exploring individualized gish archetypes, but I was just kind of stuck in a rut and it was the first thing I got the motivation to slap together. I don't want the gishes to be so good that they're the only archetype anyone ever chooses - magic is such a nice thing to have that I feel it might overshadow the others if it also gets unique, special abilities.

It's a rough draft, though. I'll see if I can spruce it up a bit. Feats could help, but those are admittedly kind of far down my to-do list.

I do plan on having two or three generic archetypes, though. One of the criticisms I've received often is that my classes are not multiclass- or hybrid-friendly. My original technique was to make classes that feel like hybrids - the poet and the red mage come to mind. I'm starting to think that that's not the best way to go, and am trying to open up some of the classes to be a bit more customizable. Generic archetypes might help with that. If you want to be a paladin with enchantment spells, or a monk with necromancy spells, you can do that with the Spellsword.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Titan in the Playground

Did you not like the class abilities that I did for the spellcaster archetypes here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...6#post14736566?
    Last edited by Rizban; 2013-08-20 at 12:37 AM.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Did you not like the class abilities that I did for the spellcaster archetypes here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...6#post14736566?
    Geez, I forgot all about those! Gonna have to look at them for some ideas.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Titan in the Playground

Well, it has been 6 months, almost to the day.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

9. - Top - End - #489
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Well, it has been 6 months, almost to the day.
    Rub it in, why don't you. Sometimes real life intrudes!

Been looking it over again, though. Real helpful stuff in there. Should help me shore up some of the weirder archetypes, though I think a number of them are going to disappear or look VERY different (Vindicator and Machinist, I'm looking at you...). Thanks for the reminder (and for commenting in the first place).

10. - Top - End - #490
    Titan in the Playground

Well, my own project hasn't seen too many updates lately either, though I'm still working on it when I can. I'm actually running a play test of it right now.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ogre in the Playground

WARNING: EXTREME NAVEL-GAZING TO FOLLOW

In the interest of solidifying my goals for the project, I'm going to examine my own design philosophy on a class by class basis. This should help me pin down exactly where I want to take each class from here, and maybe spur some discussion on the subject. I understand if this is all a little too solipsistic, but I welcome any comments you're interested in making.

Black Mage
    The first class I designed for this project, taken pretty much directly from my love of the Malconvoker. While I didn't want this to be the "evil" caster, it pretty much ended up that way, taking equally from the nasty spells available to the wizard and the cleric. Basically, it's intended to be a summoner and debuffer, with a sideline in battlefield control. The archetypes mostly follow this pattern - two summoners (demons & undead), two debuffers (disease & fear), and one mish-mash (the Void Cultist). It used to be quite overpowered with its fiendish minion ability, but still remains strong with thematic connections to the undead and fiends. I'm not a huge fan of the Pestilent or the Void Cultist to be honest - they're really niche picks. Possible replacement: a shadow-themed illusionist, or one that makes use of all those touch spells (possible Necromancer fodder).

Blue Mage
    This one was intended to be a traditional wizard, with utility and control of paramount importance. Heavy on enchantment, illusion, and divination, with a few traditionally "arcane" or "air" spells thrown in for good measure (Mage Armor, Wind Wall). Originally, the classes were heavily based on M:tG colors, which is why those spells (and the Hyperborean) are there. Very similar to the beguiler, and I think it should remain that way. It needs a little paring down on the thematics - the cold/wind spells should more properly be restricted to the Green Mage. Archetypes need work: the Wayfarer's abilities are too narrowly drawn (Teleport Spring Attack is not that great when you only have two teleportation spells). A symptom of starting with non-core options. Hyperborean is just right out - inappropriate. The Chronomancer is pretty cool, I think. The Weaver and Mountebank are right up the Blue Mage's alley, but underwhelming choices.

Green Mage
    Rather obviously a druid - a mish-mash of summoning, buffing, healing, and damage. Suffers from a lack of role definition, though. I always liked the Shapeshift druid from the PHBII, which is why the Green Mage gets that instead of Wildshape (that and Wildshape is way overpowered, but that's a separate argument). But I tried to split the difference between the two. It's not a very elegant solution. Instead of saying "MAMMALS AND BIRDS ONLY," it might be better to adopt the Predator and Raptor forms, with the Wildling getting the Slayer form. Or, heck, maybe have five forms to choose from, and each Green Mage gets to pick two. Maybe an aquatic form or a burrowing form could be thrown in for variety, and then the Wildling would get to have more or better forms. The Green Mage needs a stronger offense, and adding a few fire spells should go a long way towards shoring that up. Archetypes were pretty well handled originally: Wilding was shapeshifter/buffer, Elementalist was blaster, and Chloromancer was healer. The later ones were Subterranean (fire!) and Ophidian (dinosaurs!), and I'm not thrilled with either. Really, archetype bloat happened because I had all these non-core spells I wanted to fit in, and when I switched to core-only I really had to struggle to find appropriate choices. The more I think about it, the more I support replacing Bonus Spells with an Advanced Learning ability.

Red Mage
    Intended to be a gish-in-a-can. Don't think it's achieved that goal. In fact, I no longer think it SHOULD be a gish - it should be more like a warmage, focusing on blasting, buffing, and control. Evocation and Transmutation as the main spells. Perhaps an archetype could be devoted to self-buffing, but it shouldn't be the primary focus of the class. Lighting things on fire should be, because blasting mage is a concept that has a lot of traction in the game. Most of the archetypes are too specific, fluff-wise. In fact, I think the Pyromancer archetype should be the model for the class chassis as a whole: the Red Mage should be spending most of its time burning things up. Archetypes could improve upon that, or focus on control or buffing aspects. The Magesmith exists mainly as a way to game the item creation system, and that should probably stop. The Crimson Disciple should be more of a generic or racial archetype - as it is, there's basically no synergy between it and the underlying class. Chaos Child needs to be removed because Polymorph is just a bad idea. Sand Shaper needs to be generalized. Overall, the Red Mage is probably the casting class I am least happy with, except for maybe...

The White Mage
    Kind of cloistered cleric knock-off - all the healing and buffing with none of the ability to knock heads (and also no skills). My way of toning down clericzilla, along with the removal of domains. But unfortunately, this resulted in a cleric without claws, so to speak. I didn't want it to simply be a healbot, but I'm not convinced I've achieved that goal. I toy with giving it a bit more oomph in the offense department, but that's not really its role: healing, buffing, and a bit of utility is more its style. The Healer, Champion, and Oracle map directly to those goals (I like these archetypes quite a bit) - the Exorcist is a bit too narrow and the Divine Executioner, while a decent idea, has yet to be fleshed out. It has decent archetypes but the underlying chassis might need work. As it stands, it's excellent at keeping its friends alive and protected from the predations of evil creatures, especially undead, but just seems more a reactive class than a proactive one. Maybe people are okay with that? A summoner archetype here might be a cool idea, but celestial summons are few and far between in the early levels. Still, Angel Summoner is a fun character to play, at least if Mitchell and Webb are to be believed.

Brawler
    My goal for this class was to be a monk that didn't suck. Primarily, I'd hoped to do this by removing all the supernatural nonsense and replacing it with a hard-hitting, mobile warrior. Brawler has a strong chassis, but weak archetypes. Some of them are too narrow; others are too random (Cenobite...). While I'm not opposed to adding in a bit of the mystical mumbo-jumbo, I'd like to keep it to a minimum. But maybe that's my own baggage, and people like that about the monk? Ideally, the Brawler fills the role of the mobile fighter, darting strategically in and out of combat with precision and ease. I think this one has not done too badly at its goal.

Gladiator
    I am honestly most pleased with the Gladiator out of the combat classes, even though some of it just turned out to be "Higher Numbers, please) abilities. One half of the Fighter (the other being the Sentinel), and closer to the standard D&D version - likely to be in the thick of things, swinging with a big weapon. Very heavily based on the tactical combat of the PS2 game, Gladius. The gladiator is intended to be a versatile, offensive fighter, with the ability to change feats to adapt to the situation and screw around with some of the finer combat mechanics. While not as defensively capable as the Sentinel, he can still hold his own (though is less capable at supporting other party members). The Brute archetype, while great, should really be its own class. Pit Fighter is a lot of fun, though a bit too passive. The Master at Arms is just a pile of bigger numbers, and I'm not entirely happy with it. Vindicator NEEDS TO DIE.

Hunter
    I always thought the Ranger should get better animal companion than the druid. I also always thought that ranged combat was pretty bad in D&D, due to a lack of bonus damage and no ability to overcome damage reduction (kind of the same problem). Finally, I thought the Ranger's sideline in two-weapon fighting was counterproductive. I tried to set up the Hunter to mitigate all that. Originally, it had Ranged Power Attack built in, and I can't quite remember why I took it out (oh wait, because I was trying to not duplicate feats with class abilities). Solid chassis, though traps need some work. Intended to be a mobile, ranged harrier, with a wolf to draw attention and the ability to lay deadly traps for their foes. Design cues may have been taken from World of Warcraft. Archetypes should focus on (1) animal companion, (2) trapping, (3) ranged combat, and they mostly do. The Peltast is just weird, and the Stalker sucks except for his trapping ability.

Sentinel
    Splitting the fighter into two led to some weird design decisions. The sentinel is supposed to be the defensive one, the one who digs in his heels and guards his allies. I always wanted that to be a thing that worked in D&D. To do so, I think the Sentinel needs the ability to make his opponents choose him as a target (by punishing them for making alternate choices, or preventing them entirely), the ability to protect his allies when the previous ability doesn't work out, and the ability to take the hits that come his way. Some of this has been accomplished, some not quite so much. The Sentinel, despite his defensive nature, also seems to have taken the "reach weapon" fighter archetype, in more of a lockdown control way. I'm totally okay with this - the gladiator should be more of a maneuvering, opportunist fighter. You should be scared to be within a sentinel's reach (unless you're his ally). Archetypes need serious work, though the Landknecht and Juggernaut seem okay.

Zealot
    Oh, the paladin. Such a love/hate relationship with you. Basically, I wanted a paladin that wasn't dependent on smiting evil and riding a horse. I wanted a holy (or unholy - I never liked the alignment requirement) warrior that could lay the smackdown on its enemies while keeping its allies in high spirits. But for some reason I left out Lay On Hands. The Zealot is mostly a passive buffer, and while it is resilient, it doesn't DO much. It can't heal (this should be solved) I love the Templar. While the Reaver is out of place, I still think it's a solid archetype. Initiate was an afterthought, but not a bad one. My cavalier was always underwhelming, though I think it's a crucial archetype to have. True Neutral Zealots are weird. I think the Zealot should have an archetype devoted to offense (replacing the Reaver), one devoted to buffing/healing (might give allies full benefit of auras, for example), and one devoted to defense/anti-caster (likely the Templar, but expanded beyond just "Hello, I have Spell Resistance").

Engineer
    Still proud of this one. From a design perspective, this started out as basically the Artificer, but evolved into a shameless ripoff of Arcanum's technology system. It's not really a "Skilled" class when you get down to it, though it can be a capable trapfinder. I see the engineer as a sort of utility infielder - depending on your invention and archetype choices, you can sort of pinch hit for any other role. You can blast, heal, wade into melee, and do all sorts of unique things. But you can't do too many in one day, as inventions are pretty limited. That is probably the only thing keeping the class from being overpowered, which it might be anyway. The Machinist needs to go for being setting-specific. The Innovator needs some serious clean-up, but I don't know that there's a good way to make that work without adjudicating each combination on a case-by-case basis. The Cannoneer is one of the only ranged archetypes outside the Hunter, and so I think should remain. The Sawbones and the Tinker are pretty good, but the former suffers a bit from split-personality syndrome (the "I'm really good with a scalpel" ability could be replaced with something more healing-related) and the latter is just kind of boring. Perhaps the ability to equip its robot with inventions may help spruce the Tinker up. Though a companion with Muscle and Mechanized Armor would have a whopping 29 Strength. Put a Piston Hammer on that and, well, you get the picture. On the other hand, that picture is kind of AWESOME.

Noble
    I always thought that Charismatic Guy should be a base class, and so I tried it here. A combination party face and minion master, the noble is kind of a niche character but very good at what he does. He also gets a sort of White Raven Tactics ability, in that he can donate actions. But I wonder if this ends up making the noble feel unfun, as it's basically letting other people play for it. Tactical players might appreciate it, though. An alternate idea might be to have him give actions without sacrificing his own in return, though that would require encounter or even daily limitations. In attempting to expand the role and make him more involved, I tried to give him some combat-related archetypes. The Duelist is supposed to excel at single combat, but like the Sentinel, suffers from targeting problems. The Dilettante is probably effective, as the Chameleon is. Warchief and Patrician work pretty well in their niche. And the Tyrant is still my favorite, being the inspiration for the minion feature in the first place. While I don't regret making that a base class ability, the Tyrant now kind of suffers from an identity crisis. His schtick should be bigger, better minions, but he also benefits from their sacrifice. Perhaps the Tyrant could add certain templates to his minions? This might be an overly complicated ability, though.

Poet
    Not much more than a bard hack. I don't have much to say on the subject. The basics are there: he can use bard music, isn't terrible in a fight, and casts a smattering of spells. Inspiration is probably a needlessly complicated translation of bardic music, though. Trickster and Bravado need some love - the Trickster overlaps too much with the Doomsinger (and just doesn't DO much), while the Bravado is oddly enough a TWF'er stuck on a bard chassis. No synergy, except a musical source of bonus damage. The Skald just improves upon the base bard schtick - making your friends do stuff better. The Banshee is totally metal. I think I drew a little too directly from the kits in Baldur's Gate 2 when designing the Poet.

Sage
    Knowledge skills as base class. That was the only motivation behind the Sage. Well, that and skilled classes are hard to come up with. But it kind of morphed into a "forbidden knowledge" class, what with intimate familiarity with monstrous anatomy. I like to think that Targeted Strike is a pretty unique ability - you don't see a lot of attacks that can shut off monster abilities, and that can be real useful (Shut down that medusa by blinding it!). But while the combat ability is cool, the Sage can't do much outside of combat beyond "know stuff." I think there is some potential here in making the Sage more of a monster-studying class - maybe it could pick creature types and gain certain bonuses based on that? I'd want the bonuses to be more than just Favored Enemy crap, though. As far as archetypes go, it's so-so - the Anatomist is awesome, but the Investigator is unfinished, the Monster Hunter is underwhelming, and the Occultist is ridiculously confusing. Tutor doesn't even really fit with the class - it seems more a Noble archetype, honestly. Needs some work. One archetype should focus on targeted strikes, another on monstrous knowledge, and the third on forbidden magical lore. Perhaps the latter could replicate spell-like or supernatural abilities that it has seen monsters perform, like Final Fantasy's Blue Mage? I think that's what I was sort of going for with the Occultist, but didn't do very well (it was more a Mime). There's probably a way to break that ability horribly, though.

Scoundrel
    Obviously a rogue knockoff. As such, it treads very little new ground, though I did try to make Sneak Attack a bit more useful by building in the ability to partially bypass immunity, make flanking a bit better, and adding in a rather dubious MAXIMUM DAMAGE ability. Still, the base class is pretty hard to screw up, and I'm generally happy with it. The archetypes, not so much. The Thief-Acrobat has always been a bit lackluster, and needs more abilities beyond "you get a bonus to skills." I think this could be widened into a more general acrobatic class, with more combat utility. The Phantom's ability was stolen shamelessly from the Invisible Boy in Mystery Men - he can only turn invisible if no one is watching. Silencer is the Assassin archetype, only completely focused on poisons. I think I'd like to see a Swashbuckler archetype, one that thrives on bluffing and feinting in combat. Another could be focused on stealthy assassinations, possibly a supernatural combination of the Silencer and Phantom. Or perhaps a ranged combat archetype would do well here. If the Noble and Poet didn't already have it covered, perhaps something social as well. An Adventurer archetype, one that resembles the Factotum to a degree, might also be appropriate.

Aspirant
    How many Marvel superheroes can I design via archetypes? Let's see, I got Wolverine, Captain America, Psylocke, Quicksilver, and a sort of monk-like Hulk.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Brawler
    My goal for this class was to be a monk that didn't suck. Primarily, I'd hoped to do this by removing all the supernatural nonsense and replacing it with a hard-hitting, mobile warrior. Brawler has a strong chassis, but weak archetypes. Some of them are too narrow; others are too random (Cenobite...). While I'm not opposed to adding in a bit of the mystical mumbo-jumbo, I'd like to keep it to a minimum. But maybe that's my own baggage, and people like that about the monk? Ideally, the Brawler fills the role of the mobile fighter, darting strategically in and out of combat with precision and ease. I think this one has not done too badly at its goal.
    How about each archetype exemplifies a style of fighting? Boxing, Karate, Kung fu, Muay Thai, Judo, est.

Just pitchin' my $0.02

13. - Top - End - #493
    Ettin in the Playground

Definitely agree with Red Mage being a focused blaster, and Pyromancer being the gold standard for that class.

I would give it an at-will scaling SLA (fire, electricity, force or sonic) it can use as a ranged or melee touch attack. Fire might have an AoE component and/or recurring damage, force would ignore incorporeality, hardness and damage reduction, sonic would potentially deafen and do additional damage to objects, lightning would rebound.

All mages and in particular the Red and Blue mages and their archetypes should have some way to negate relatively common resistances and immunities on a limited but recurring basis (per encounter preferably) that would otherwise cripple their specializations and core schticks.

Feats that improve archetypes or the basic chassis of each class are certainly a thought.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Ettin in the Playground

Also, the Necromancer is particularly underwhelming, and should have a stronger and more generalized minion focus:

Lesser Archetype Power (The Dead Shall Serve): The Necromancer may use a Summon Monster power as a Summon Undead power of the same level.

In addition, the Necromancer may target a viable corpse with Summon Monster as a Necromancy spell to replicate the effects of Animate Dead on that corpse (including HD control limits). Undead created in this way last only 1 minute per caster level.

Moderate Archetype Power (Harbinger of Desecration): Once per turn, when the Necromancer casts Desecrate, it may also cast a Necromancy spell or use a Necromancy SLA as a swift action.

In addition, the Necromancer may choose to ignore the material component cost of Desecrate. If he does, reduce its duration to 1 minute per caster level.

Greater Archetype Power (Dark Symbiosis): A necromancer has up to 3 immunities and/or resistances total of undead it controls within 50 feet. These are chosen at the start of each of the Necromancer's turns, and whenever he summons or animates an undead within 50 feet as a free action.

OR

(Risen Dead): Once at the start of each turn while within an area subject to Desecrate, the Necromancer can create a LA+0/CR+0 animal, giant or humanoid skeleton or zombie with HD equal to his caster level in an unoccupied space within the same area as a Swift action. These undead are subject to the same HD control limits as undead created with Animate Dead, and last 1 round per caster level.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealistik View Post
    Also, the Necromancer is particularly underwhelming, and should have a stronger and more generalized minion focus:

Lesser Archetype Power (The Dead Shall Serve): The Necromancer may use a Summon Monster power as a Summon Undead power of the same level.

In addition, the Necromancer may target a viable corpse with Summon Monster as a Necromancy spell to replicate the effects of Animate Dead on that corpse (including HD control limits). Undead created in this way last only 1 minute per caster level.

Moderate Archetype Power (Harbringer of Desecration): Once per turn, when the Necromancer casts Desecrate, it may also cast a Necromancy spell or use a Necromancy SLA as a swift action.

In addition, the Necromancer may choose to ignore the material component cost of Desecrate. If he does, reduce its duration to 1 minute per caster level.

Greater Archetype Power (Dark Symbiosis): A necromancer has up to 3 immunities and/or resistances total of undead it controls within 50 feet. These are chosen at the start of each of the Necromancer's turns, and whenever he summons or animates an undead within 50 feet as a free action.

OR

(Risen Dead): Once at the start of each turn while within an area subject to Desecrate, the Necromancer can create a LA+0/CR+0 animal, giant or humanoid skeleton or zombie with HD equal to his caster level in an unoccupied space within the same area as a Swift action. These undead are subject to the same HD control limits as undead created with Animate Dead, and last 1 round per caster level.
    That... wow. In my opinion, that's incredibly overpowered. I'll walk through why when I get back, and compare with (say) a Sentinel.
    LGBTA+itP

16. - Top - End - #496

The Red Mage: Not sure if this get you to the gish in can you were looking for. The HD of D6 is a little to low to be wading into combat, and I would not give it full casting. I would up the HD to D8 and limit the spells so it only gets 2nd level spells and come up with class features that allow combining spell casting and sword play.

I definitely agree that it should be refluffed as a more battlemage class than a gish. It fits in more with the the themes of the other Mages (Blue, Black, White. ect..) To be a full caster.

Also the Capstone to Chaos Child seems a bit over powered as to be a win button.
    "On another note, good job, Stormageddon; planting the seeds of doubt and mistrust now will go a long way towards culturing an atmosphere of paranoia and neuroticism, perfect for any evil masterminding which your devious plans might require; it hearkens backs to the hoary days when E.G. Gygax himself strode among us." - White Drake Under The Red Sky Campaign

My homebrew:

17. - Top - End - #497

Question Re: Gnorman's Complete E6 Compendium

I loved what you did with your Zealot (Paladin) and have borrowed heavily from this class in to my own Project.

My homebrew:

18. - Top - End - #498
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    That... wow. In my opinion, that's incredibly overpowered. I'll walk through why when I get back, and compare with (say) a Sentinel.
    Mind you these ideas are off the top of my head, hastily written and obviously can use refinement, especially the greater powers; they are clearly not final products and I'm aware their balance is dubious. The general idea underlying them, and their concepts however I stand behind, which is a focus on minions and minion buffing/generation without seemingly arbitrary discriminants or borderline tangential elements (i.e. zombie only buffs and some boring passive immunities).

The Lesser Power could have a 2 HD per spell level limit for Summon Monster used as a Necromancy spell.

The Moderate Power would just permit Summon Monster used as Summon Undead or as a Necromancy spell per the Lesser Power feature. Further, when ignoring Desecrate's material focus, the HD of undead animated with Animate Dead isn't doubled.

Dark Symbiosis might require a Swift or Immediate action to change the immunities/resistances granted. The power of choice might also require reducing the total immunities/resistances granted to 2.

Risen Dead should work at the start of the Necromancer's turn only (this was the intent). Further, it should require the created undead's underlying creature be native to the region, and that it be created on solid ground. They would be unable to leave the area of desecration. If the Necromancer is knocked unconscious or is killed, or the area of desecration ends, all undead created with the power are immediately destroyed.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ettin in the Playground

So, 2nd draft of the Necromancer. Suggestions for improvement are welcome.

So:

Spoiler
    Show
    Lesser Archetype Power (The Dead Shall Serve): The Necromancer may use a Summon Monster power as a Summon Undead power of the same spell level.

In addition, the Necromancer may target a viable corpse (per Animate Dead) with Summon Monster as a Necromancy spell instead of as a Conjuration (Summoning) spell to replicate the effects of Animate Dead on that corpse.

Undead created in this way have the following characteristics:
    • Maximum HD to equal three times the base spell level of the Summon Monster spell used in this way.
    • Are subject to and count towards Animate Dead's HD control limits.
    • Last 1 minute per caster level.

Moderate Archetype Power (Harbinger of Desecration): Once per turn, when the Necromancer casts Desecrate or Unhallow, he may also cast a Summon Monster spell per the Necromancer's Lesser Archetype Power during the same turn as a Swift Action.

In addition, the Necromancer may choose to ignore the material component cost of Desecrate. If he does, reduce its duration to 1 minute per caster level, and that Desecrate does not double the maximum HD of undead created with Animate Dead.

Greater Archetype Power (Risen Dead): Once per round, as Swift or Immediate action Spell Like Ability, the Necromancer can either use a Summon Undead spell of a spell level two below the maximum spell level he can cast, or revive a viable corpse he can sense into a skeleton or zombie per Animate Dead. Undead must be created or summoned in this way within an area subject to Desecrate or Unhallow.

Undead created or summoned in this way have the following characteristics:
    • Maximum HD equal to the Necromancer's caster level.
    • Are subject to and count towards Animate Dead's HD control limits.
    • Last 1 round per caster level or until the Necromancer dies or is knocked unconscious.

Unhallow replaces Death Ward for the Necromancer's capstone SLA. It can be used without its material component as a full-round action. If the Necromancer does so, it lasts 1 minute per caster level.

1st draft for the new Red Mage base feature:

Spoiler
    Show

Level 2: Energy Bolt (Su): (Replaces Combat Panache)

You can discharge a bolt of energy out to Close Range as a melee or ranged touch attack as a spell-like ability. Attack rolls made in this way use your Charisma modifier in place of your Dexterity or Strength modifiers. he bolt ignores Spell Resistance and deals 1d6 + Charisma modifier damage + 1 damage per caster level. All damage dealt by this SLA counts as magical.

Choose one of the following damage types: Electricity, Fire, Force or Sonic. If you choose Force damage, it also deals Piercing or Bludgeoning damage (your choice). This is the type of damage your bolt deals.

When you use this SLA, you may also expend a spell slot to have it deal +2d6 extra damage per base spell level of the sacrificed slot. Any metamagic applied to the expended slot (a level 3 slot featuring an Empowered level 1 spell slot for example) may be applied to this SLA.

Level 5: Improved Energy Bolt: (Replaces Spellbattle Escalation)

At 5th level, choose an additional energy type per the Energy Bolt feature. When using your Energy Bolt SLA, You may choose to have your Energy Bolt deal damage of that type instead of any other type previously chosen for it.

In addition, your Energy Bolt now features a saving throw and has an additional effect depending on its damage type if a target fails its saving throw as below. The DC of your bolt's saving throws are equal to 10 + half your caster level + your Charisma modifier.

• Electricity VS Reflex: Make another Energy Bolt attack against up to one secondary target other than the initial target, using the initial target's space as this attack's origin. The secondary target then makes a Reflex save in place of you making a ranged or melee attack roll and the normal saves your Energy Bolt normally features, taking half damage from this attack on a failed save.

• Fire VS Reflex: The target catches on fire. The DC to put out the fire is equal to the DC of this SLA. Damage dealt by this fire is magical.

• Force + Bludgeoning VS Fortitude: Push the target 5 feet away from you (you cannot push a non-flying creature into the air), plus an additional 5 feet for every 2 points it failed the saving throw by. If it failed by 5 or more points, or would be pushed into an occupied space, it is knocked prone.

• Force + Piercing VS Reflex: The target suffers 1 point of bleed damage plus 1 point of bleed damage for every 2 points it failed the saving throw by. The DC to stop the bleeding is equal to the DC of this SLA.

• Sonic VS Fortitude: The target is deafened for a number of rounds equal to half the total of your Charisma modifier and caster level (rounded down). If the target is a construct or object, your Energy Bolt ignores its hardness and damage reduction, and deals maximum damage.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealistik View Post

1st draft for the new Red Mage base feature:

Spoiler
    Show

Level 2: Energy Bolt (Su): (Replaces Combat Panache)

You can discharge a bolt of energy out to Close Range as a melee or ranged touch attack as a spell-like ability. Attack rolls made in this way use your Charisma modifier in place of your Dexterity or Strength modifiers. The bolt ignores Spell Resistance and deals 1d6 + Charisma modifier damage + 1 damage per caster level. All damage dealt by this SLA counts as magical.

Choose one of the following damage types: Electricity, Fire, Force or Sonic. If you choose Force damage, it also deals Piercing or Bludgeoning damage (your choice). This is the type of damage your bolt deals.

When you use this SLA, you may also expend a spell slot to have it deal +2d6 extra damage per base spell level of the sacrificed slot. Any metamagic applied to the expended slot (a level 3 slot featuring an Empowered level 1 spell slot for example) may be applied to this SLA.

Level 5: Improved Energy Bolt: (Replaces Spellbattle Escalation)

At 5th level, choose an additional energy type per the Energy Bolt feature. When using your Energy Bolt SLA, You may choose to have your Energy Bolt deal damage of that type instead of any other type previously chosen for it.

In addition, your Energy Bolt now features a saving throw and has an additional effect depending on its damage type if a target fails its saving throw as below. The DC of your bolt's saving throws are equal to 10 + half your caster level + your Charisma modifier.

• Electricity VS Reflex: Make another Energy Bolt attack against up to one creature other than the target, using the target's space as the origin. This attack deals half damage.

• Fire VS Reflex: The target catches on fire. The DC to put out the fire is equal to the DC of this SLA. Damage dealt by this fire is magical.

• Force + Bludgeoning VS Fortitude: Push the target 5 feet away from you (you cannot push a non-flying creature into the air), plus an additional 5 feet for every 2 points it failed the saving throw by. If it failed by 5 or more points, or would be pushed into an occupied space, it is knocked prone.

• Force + Piercing VS Fortitude: The target suffers 1 point of bleed damage plus 1 point of bleed damage for every 2 points it failed the saving throw by. The DC to stop the bleeding is equal to the DC of this SLA.

• Sonic VS Fortitude: The target is deafened for a number of rounds equal to half the total of your Charisma modifier and caster level (rounded down). If the target is a construct or object, your Energy Bolt ignores its hardness and damage reduction, and deals maximum damage.
    Do the "builds" still all scale off Constitution?

21. - Top - End - #501
    Ettin in the Playground

Personally, I think most Red Mage archetypes should be based on half the Charisma mod (rounded up) in most cases, though tbh, I wouldn't mind a secondary score being invoked, especially if there were some degree of choice as to what it would be.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Ettin in the Playground

Change to Counterspell Mastery, so counterspelling is more viable:

Counterspell Mastery: The blue mage no longer needs to use the correct spell to counterspell - he may counterspell with any spell of an equivalent level or above. The blue mage may also attempt to counterspell as an Immediate Action. If he does so however, he loses his next action of the same type that was expended to cast the countered spell (or a full-round action if its cast time was longer than a full-round action).

In addition, if the Blue Mage successfully counters a spell, the caster of the countered spell may not cast spells for one round.

Potential Blue Mage L5 base feature as an alternative choice to Bend the Will:

Spellseize (Su): Whenever the Blue Mage successfully counters a spell, oppose his Spellcraft check used to counter that spell against a Spellcraft check of that countered spell's caster. On a success, the Blue Mage gains control of that spell and may choose new targets/make new decisions for it (it's otherwise unchanged).

Blue Mage, Spelltyrant Archetype:

Spoiler
    Show

Bonus Spells:
    1: Arcane Sensitivity, Distort Speech
    2: Arcane Turmoil, Dispelling Touch
    3: Battlemagic Perception, Spellcaster's Bane
    Capstone SLA: Spell Theft

Lesser Archetype Power (Greater Counterspell): The Blue Mage doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity when counterspelling and gains a +2 bonus to Spellcraft checks and an overlapping +4 bonus to Spellcraft checks made as part of a counterspell.

In addition, the Blue Mage can counterspell non-creature entities (such as items and objects), and spell-like and supernatural abilities if they replicate a spell, or all effects of a spell. These are henceforth known as 'counterable abilities'. The effects of class features Spellseize and Counterspell Mastery also apply to such counterable abilities that are successfully countered and their casters/origins (including non-creature casters/origins).

Moderate Archetype Power (Flash Counter): Once per encounter, the Blue Mage may counter a spell or counterable ability as a free action. A spell cast to enact this counterspell cannot be countered.

Greater Archetype Power (Spell Suppression): Whenever the Blue Mage successfully counters a spell or counterable ability, the Blue Mage may subject the caster/user/origin of that spell or ability to the supernatural condition Spell Suppression.

Any creature or other entity subject to Spell Suppression cannot use spells and counterable abilities until the end of the encounter or until it succeeds on a Will save made once during the start of its first turn each round as a free action, adding the higher of its caster level or Spellcraft skill bonus as a bonus to this save. The wielder or controller of a suppressed entity may make a Will save in this way in place of that entity. The DC of this save is equal to the Blue Mage's Spellcraft check for the triggering counterspell.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Ettin in the Playground

Here's a thought:

What if each archetype offered alternate features as optional substitutions for existing base class features?

For example the Spelltyrant archetype would permit someone to take Spellseize in place of Bend the Will.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ogre in the Playground

So, here's a rough, not-quite-complete draft of a Red Mage redesign

The Red Mage

HD: d6
    Class Skills: Balance, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (dungeoneering), Knowledge (the planes), Profession, Ride, Spellcraft, Swim, Tumble
    Skill Points: 4 + Int per level (4x at 1st)

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|0|1|2|3

1st|+0|+2|+0|+2|Archetype Power (Lesser), Spellcasting|5|4|-|-

2nd|+1|+3|+0|+3|Advanced Learning (1st), Spell Mastery|6|5|-|-

3rd|+2|+3|+1|+3|Archetype Power (Moderate)|6|6|3|-

4th|+3|+4|+1|+4|Advanced Learning (2nd), Level Four|6|6|4|-

5th|+3|+4|+1|+4|Level Five|6|6|5|3

6th|+4|+5|+2|+5|Advanced Learning (3rd), Archetype Power (Greater)|6|6|6|4[/table]

Class Abilities

Proficiencies: The red mage is proficient with light armor, medium armor, simple weapons, and martial weapons. He does not suffer from arcane failure while in light armor or medium armor.

Spellcasting: The red mage casts arcane spells from a specialized list, which is included below. The red mage need not prepare spells ahead of time - he may spontaneously cast any spell on his list from the appropriate slot. He still requires eight hours of rest to refresh his spells. His sole casting stat is Charisma, which dictates both the DC of his spells and his bonus spells. To cast a spell, a red mage must have an Charisma score equal to 10 + the level of spell in question.

Archetype: At 1st level, the red mage chooses an archetype from the following list. Once made, the choice is final. Each archetype offers a set of powers and adds bonus spells known to the red mage's list, which are listed below and received when he becomes capable of casting spells of the same level.

Advanced Learning: At 2nd level, and every other level afterwards, the red mage may add a single spell to his list of spells known. The spell cannot be of a level higher than he is capable of casting. The red mage may only select evocation spells from the sorcerer/wizard list.

Spell Mastery: Whenever a red mage deals damage with a spell, he deals an additional amount equal to his Charisma modifier plus his class level. This additional damage can only be applied once per casting to any particular target.

Level 4: Placeholder

Level 5: Placeholder

Red Mage Spell List:
    0: Acid Splash, Dancing Lights, Daze, Detect Magic, Flare, Mage Hand, Message, Prestidigitation, Read Magic
    1: Alarm, Burning Hands, Endure Elements, Enlarge Person, Entropic Shield, Grease, Jump, Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Magic Weapon, Produce Flame, Shield, Shocking Grasp, True Strike
    2: Acid Arrow, Bear's Endurance, Bull's Strength, Continual Flame, Eagle's Splendor, Flame Blade, Flaming Sphere, Glitterdust, Protection from Arrows, Pyrotechnics, Resist Energy, Scorching Ray
    3: Dispel Magic, Explosive Runes, Fireball, Fire Shield, Flame Arrow, Haste, Heroism, Ice Storm, Keen Edge, Lightning Bolt, Magic Circle Against Alignment, Greater Magic Weapon, Phantom Steed, Protection from Energy, Slow

Archetypes

Blaster

Lesser Archetype Power: When casting any spell that deals acid, fire, electricity, or cold damage, the blaster may replace the energy type with any of the four. For example, the red mage could choose to have a Fireball deal cold damage, or an Ice Storm deal electricity damage. In addition, when selecting spells with his Advanced Learning ability, a blaster may select any spell with the [acid], [cold], [electricity], or [fire] descriptor.
    Moderate Archetype Power: A blaster may ignore an amount of acid, fire, cold, or electricity resistance possessed by an opponent equal to his class level plus his Charisma modifier, to a maximum of ten. If the opponent possesses immunity to the element instead, treat it as if it had a resistance of 20.
    Greater Archetype Power: When casting a spell that deals acid, fire, cold, or electricity damage, a blaster may increase his caster level by up to half his Charisma modifier, even past his HD limit, with all the increase in parameters that entails. The blaster takes 1d6 untyped damage per each caster level increased.

Buffer

Lesser Archetype Power: Whenever a buffer casts a beneficial spell on an ally, that ally gains a morale bonus to attack and damage rolls equal to the level of the spell for a number of rounds equal to the buffer's Charisma modifier. In addition, when selecting spells for his Advanced Learning ability, the buffer may select abjuration or transmutation spells from the sorcerer/wizard list.
    Moderate Archetype Power: When casting any beneficial single-target spell with a range of touch, a buffer may split the duration among a number of additional adjacent targets (up to his Charisma modifier). The duration may not be divided into increments less than the base increment of the spell (such as one minute for Bull's Strength or ten minutes for Heroism). All other parameters of the spell remain the same.
    Greater Archetype Power: Whenever a buffer confers an enhancement or morale bonus with a spell, the numerical bonus conferred is multiplied by 1.5.

Controller

Lesser Archetype Power: INCOMPLETE

In addition, when selecting spells for his Advanced Learning ability, a controller may select conjuration spells from the sorcerer/wizard list.
    Moderate Archetype Power: When casting a spell that affects an area, a controller may choose to omit a number of targets from the spell's effect equal to his Charisma modifier.
    Greater Archetype Power: Whenever a controller deals acid, cold, fire, or electricity damage, the target(s) of the spell must make a save (DC equal to 10 + the level of the spell + the controller's Charisma modifier) or suffer from the following effects.

Acid: The target(s) must make a Fortitude save or be nauseated for one round.

Cold: The target(s) must make a Fortitude save or be slowed for one round.

Electricity: The target(s) must make a Reflex save or be dazed for one round.

Fire: The target(s) must make a Will save or be frightened for one round.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Ogre in the Playground

Anyone want a chance to join an ongoing game using Gnorman's E6 rules? It has been going since February and is a horror-themed medieval inter-dimensional campaign. We've got a fantastic DM and some great players, and we have two openings.

We need a new player for Geoffry Mac Tir (Initiate, Zealot) and Brandon Moore (Hunter, Deadeye)

Say something here if you're interested:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272350
    Last edited by OzzyKP; 2013-09-05 at 08:10 AM.
    Want to test your mettle in the Irorium Arena? Always accepting new gladiators!

26. - Top - End - #506
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyKP View Post
    Anyone want a chance to join an ongoing game using Gnorman's E6 rules? It has been going since February and is a horror-themed medieval inter-dimensional campaign. We've got a fantastic DM and some great players, and we have two openings.

We need a new player for Geoffry Mac Tir (Initiate, Zealot) and Brandon Moore (Hunter, Deadeye)

Say something here if you're interested:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272350
    Posting here because I plan on walking through the new red mage after this: so you have openings, and you wish people to take over existing characters?

Red Mage

Skills: It's a wee bit short for 4/level, and additionally I think all classes should get spot and listen. So that's my suggestion.

Class features: Advanced Learning is really, really bland while also being quite swingy with regards to power level based on what they pick. I'd recommend switching back to the named, specific class features and allow them for a battlefield mage. Initiative bonii, better casting defensively, and the ability to do something about melee combat a few times a day (retributive burst damage or something) are ideas I'd go off of, and then add in the Advanced Learning as a feat, with a note by it for the DM to pay close attention to it and (maybe) a limit on how many times you can take it.

Spell list: I'd suggest adding in at least one single target 3rd level spell, since all of the damage spells are either buffs for others or three types of area damage of various elemental flavors.

Blaster: I could imagine a problem if this guy is facing somebody he can't know the resistances of, such as if it's covered by a knowledge that he can't get. Only possible problem I can see right now.

Buffer: You're going to need to refine the language for it's lesser ability. Adjacent to who? The buffer? The target of the spell? The king?

Controller: Grease, Glitterdust, Pyrokinetics, Slow. Those are the four in-house controlling options the Red Mage gets, before it's greater ability. Something to think about.
    LGBTA+itP

27. - Top - End - #507
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    Posting here because I plan on walking through the new red mage after this: so you have openings, and you wish people to take over existing characters?
    Yes. There are two existing characters we'd like to find players for. In the event their original players return, they will go back to controlling their characters and new players would be able to roll up new characters and continue playing as them.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyKP View Post
    Yes. There are two existing characters we'd like to find players for. In the event their original players return, they will go back to controlling their characters and new players would be able to roll up new characters and continue playing as them.
    Then I am not interested.
    LGBTA+itP

29. - Top - End - #509
    Ogre in the Playground

I guess we're still discussing how we want to bring in the new people. It might be with new characters right from the start.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Ettin in the Playground

Personally, I'd rather the Red Mage drop the martial profs, maybe medium armour and gain an at-will touch/ranged magic attack that relies on his Charisma, even if it isn't improved by subsequent class attributes. Again, keep the focus on the blaster, get away from the gish.

Advanced Learning itself is bland, but makes for interesting if yes, potentially overpowered possibilities (especially when combined with the Archetype abilities). Regardless, that is _definitely_ more of a Blue Mage ability, and I'd consider giving some variant of it to the Blue Mage as an alternate option to his existing L2 (which enhances something that is painfully situational and remains so post-buff to be frank), or to a 'Scholar'/'Spellsage' Blue Mage archetype concerned with maximizing spells known/arcane diversity. If you want to keep it, I'd strongly consider limiting it to the spells known list of the other casters and possibly their archetypes (obviously drop the Evo only if reassigned to Blue Mages).

"When casting any spell that deals acid, fire, electricity, or cold damage, the blaster may replace the energy type with any of the three."

Did you mean four?

Everything else has been pretty well addressed.