New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Gnorman's Complete E6 Compendium

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealistik View Post
    "When casting any spell that deals acid, fire, electricity, or cold damage, the blaster may replace the energy type with any of the three."

Did you mean four?

Everything else has been pretty well addressed.
    There are only 3 options beyond the one that allows you to make the substitution.
    ~ZA

2. - Top - End - #512
    Ettin in the Playground

What I meant to highlight is that you could have dual (or more) damage types (fire and sonic for example). One or both of the types trigger the ability, and then you could replace both types with a singular energy type, even if one of the triggering dual damage types is the same as the damage type replacing both (fire replacing fire and sonic for example, though you could also interpret it as replacing only triggering damage types of dual typed damage).

But this niche case aside, wouldn't it be better/more accurate to say "may replace any instance of these damage types for that spell with one of these damage types"? This eliminates all of the rules ambiguity in that you clearly and definitively substitute the triggering damage types only with exactly one damage type of those listed on a per instance/case by case basis.

If less granular control is desired, simply substitute 'any' with 'all', minding your plurality :p.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    Posting here because I plan on walking through the new red mage after this: so you have openings, and you wish people to take over existing characters?

Red Mage

Skills: It's a wee bit short for 4/level, and additionally I think all classes should get spot and listen. So that's my suggestion.

Class features: Advanced Learning is really, really bland while also being quite swingy with regards to power level based on what they pick. I'd recommend switching back to the named, specific class features and allow them for a battlefield mage. Initiative bonii, better casting defensively, and the ability to do something about melee combat a few times a day (retributive burst damage or something) are ideas I'd go off of, and then add in the Advanced Learning as a feat, with a note by it for the DM to pay close attention to it and (maybe) a limit on how many times you can take it.

Spell list: I'd suggest adding in at least one single target 3rd level spell, since all of the damage spells are either buffs for others or three types of area damage of various elemental flavors.

Blaster: I could imagine a problem if this guy is facing somebody he can't know the resistances of, such as if it's covered by a knowledge that he can't get. Only possible problem I can see right now.

Buffer: You're going to need to refine the language for it's lesser ability. Adjacent to who? The buffer? The target of the spell? The king?

Controller: Grease, Glitterdust, Pyrokinetics, Slow. Those are the four in-house controlling options the Red Mage gets, before it's greater ability. Something to think about.
    Advanced Learning is, for better or worse, something I'd hoped to introduce to the casting classes. Mainly, I was hoping to offer a way to introduce non-core sources to the spell lists based on the source availability of particular groups, and allow players to customize their spell lists. You're right in that it can be abused (Alter Self does come to mind), but one spell per spell level hopefully won't be horrible. I initially had it at two, but decided to beef up the general spell list a tad instead.

General: A few more abilities will always be welcomed, and yes, I think an initiative bonus or a defensive casting bonus might definitely be possibilities. Advanced Learning is not replacing abilities - it's a straight replacement to the bonus spells offered by archetypes.

Blaster: I still think the general level 4 ability will be a bonus to monster identification, to aid with that specific concern. Red mages should be the masters of monstrous knowledge - can't kill something you don't know.

Buffer: Did you mean the moderate ability here? The lesser ability doesn't deal with adjacent targets. In any case, I meant adjacent to the red mage at the time of casting, since it's restricted to spells with touch.

Controller: Not quite sure what you meant by that. Controller's a bit less well defined than the other archetypes, I'm afraid - I want something that can still blast, but also manipulate the battlefield and opponents. Inflicting status effects seemed a way to do that. Whereas the blaster excels at single-target damage, the controller is less destructive but can keep his enemies corralled and docile.

Personally, I'd rather the Red Mage drop the martial profs, maybe medium armour and gain an at-will touch/ranged magic attack that relies on his Charisma, even if it isn't improved by subsequent class attributes. Again, keep the focus on the blaster, get away from the gish.

Advanced Learning itself is bland, but makes for interesting if yes, potentially overpowered possibilities (especially when combined with the Archetype abilities). Regardless, that is _definitely_ more of a Blue Mage ability, and I'd consider giving some variant of it to the Blue Mage as an alternate option to his existing L2 (which enhances something that is painfully situational and remains so post-buff to be frank), or to a 'Scholar'/'Spellsage' Blue Mage archetype concerned with maximizing spells known/arcane diversity. If you want to keep it, I'd strongly consider limiting it to the spells known list of the other casters and possibly their archetypes (obviously drop the Evo only if reassigned to Blue Mages).

"When casting any spell that deals acid, fire, electricity, or cold damage, the blaster may replace the energy type with any of the three."

Did you mean four?

Everything else has been pretty well addressed.
    Advanced Learning is an all or nothing proposition - either all the mage classes are going to get it, or none. The Blue Mage will likely have the largest pool to draw from, though - divination, enchantment, and illusion.

I've definitely been looking over your proposed suggestions, Surrealistik, and I'm toying with some kind of scaling energy blast. Allowing the red mage to blast basically forever does seem right up his alley, but I'm still working out the particulars. Likely, it will be 1d6 per two levels plus Charisma mod, chosen between acid, fire, electricity, or cold. An archetype might improve upon the base feature.

The Red Mage's proficiencies might stay, if only to make him feel a bit more martially-oriented than the others. He no longer has abilities that encourage him to wade into melee, though. At the very least, I think I'll leave medium armor.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeltArruin View Post
    There are only 3 options beyond the one that allows you to make the substitution.
    What I meant to highlight is that you could have dual (or more) damage types (fire and sonic for example). One or both of the types trigger the ability, and then you could replace both types with a singular energy type, even if one of the triggering dual damage types is the same as the damage type replacing both (fire replacing fire and sonic for example, though you could also interpret it as replacing only triggering damage types of dual typed damage).

But this niche case aside, wouldn't it be better/more accurate to say "may replace any instance of these damage types for that spell with one of these damage types"? This eliminates all of the rules ambiguity in that you clearly and definitively substitute the triggering damage types only with exactly one damage type of those listed on a per instance/case by case basis.

If less granular control is desired, simply substitute 'any' with 'all', minding your plurality :p.
    I meant either "the other three" or "four." Coldball instead of Fireball, Acidic Ray instead of Scorching Ray, Firebolt instead of Lightning Bolt, Shocking Hands instead of Burning Hands, etc.

I've fixed the wording to "four" there. I hadn't considered the admixture case, though.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnorman View Post
    Advanced Learning is, for better or worse, something I'd hoped to introduce to the casting classes. Mainly, I was hoping to offer a way to introduce non-core sources to the spell lists based on the source availability of particular groups, and allow players to customize their spell lists. You're right in that it can be abused (Alter Self does come to mind), but one spell per spell level hopefully won't be horrible. I initially had it at two, but decided to beef up the general spell list a tad instead.

General: A few more abilities will always be welcomed, and yes, I think an initiative bonus or a defensive casting bonus might definitely be possibilities. Advanced Learning is not replacing abilities - it's a straight replacement to the bonus spells offered by archetypes.

Blaster: I still think the general level 4 ability will be a bonus to monster identification, to aid with that specific concern. Red mages should be the masters of monstrous knowledge - can't kill something you don't know.

Buffer: Did you mean the moderate ability here? The lesser ability doesn't deal with adjacent targets. In any case, I meant adjacent to the red mage at the time of casting, since it's restricted to spells with touch.

Controller: Not quite sure what you meant by that. Controller's a bit less well defined than the other archetypes, I'm afraid - I want something that can still blast, but also manipulate the battlefield and opponents. Inflicting status effects seemed a way to do that. Whereas the blaster excels at single-target damage, the controller is less destructive but can keep his enemies corralled and docile.
    Ok, Advanced learning works, then. I thought it was replacing abilities, not adding to them (and replacing the bonus spells known from archtype works perfectly well for me.)

No thoughts on the skills?

As long as they can identify people.

Yup, moderate ability, my bad.

Controllers only get status effects at level 6 right now. Before that, Grease, Glitterdust, Pyrokinetics, Slow and Ice Storm are the only even vaugely controlling elements, and of those Grease is the only one for level 1/2, Glitterdust/Pyrokinetics for 3/4, and then finally Slow/Ice Storm levels 5/6. So I support the idea of controlling the battlefield, but look at adding a handful more of spells that inflict status effects, or have the lesser archtype ability add status effects to damaging spells.
    LGBTA+itP

5. - Top - End - #515
    Ettin in the Playground

Sounds good Gnorman, though I'd probably recommend dropping 'energy' and going for the more straightforward 'damage'. So:

"When casting any spell that deals acid, fire, electricity, or cold damage, the blaster may replace that spell's damage type(s) and their keywords with any one of these four."

In otherwords, you unambiguously replace all damage types of a triggering spell and the keywords of those damage types with exactly one of those four damage types. If keywords naturally arise from dealing damage of a certain type (I forget), then you can exclude that extra wording.

While you're revisiting the mages, I would strongly recommend you either replace Counterspell Mastery or improve it so that you can counter without readying at the cost of your Immediate Action and losing your next action of the type expended to cast the spell you countered, or your next Full-Round Action if it takes a Standard Action or longer to cast (whether you were successful or otherwise).

As it stands, counterspelling even with the 'silence' effect is pretty damn niche. I might even consider expanding it to deal with item cast spells and SLAs/Supernaturals that replicate spells.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyKP View Post
    Anyone want a chance to join an ongoing game using Gnorman's E6 rules? It has been going since February and is a horror-themed medieval inter-dimensional campaign. We've got a fantastic DM and some great players, and we have two openings.

Say something here if you're interested:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272350

Ok, we discussed it some more, and yea, we are looking for new players to create new characters (using Gnorman's E6) and join the campaign.
    Want to test your mettle in the Irorium Arena? Always accepting new gladiators!

7. - Top - End - #517
    Dwarf in the Playground

hello
    is it ok with you if i take the parts i want from here to make a witcher-based game (not actually familiar with witcher, but a friend of mine is)?

i'll have to translate the entire thing to hebrew to do that, so i thought asking before doing that would be polite

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ogre in the Playground

Hi everyone, I'm thinking of running an E6 game and I was wondering what have people's experience with Gnorman's E6 variant been? Initially it looks mostly positive, but I'm hestitant about jumping into it, the group (if it gets started) has only ever done D&D with a few non-core books.

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry folks, school started up again and my free time took a sharp nose dive. But I haven't abandoned the project!

Sounds good Gnorman, though I'd probably recommend dropping 'energy' and going for the more straightforward 'damage'. So:

"When casting any spell that deals acid, fire, electricity, or cold damage, the blaster may replace that spell's damage type(s) and their keywords with any one of these four."

In otherwords, you unambiguously replace all damage types of a triggering spell and the keywords of those damage types with exactly one of those four damage types. If keywords naturally arise from dealing damage of a certain type (I forget), then you can exclude that extra wording.

While you're revisiting the mages, I would strongly recommend you either replace Counterspell Mastery or improve it so that you can counter without readying at the cost of your Immediate Action and losing your next action of the type expended to cast the spell you countered, or your next Full-Round Action if it takes a Standard Action or longer to cast (whether you were successful or otherwise).

As it stands, counterspelling even with the 'silence' effect is pretty damn niche. I might even consider expanding it to deal with item cast spells and SLAs/Supernaturals that replicate spells.
    Solid ideas. Counterspell Mastery is an ability I've wanted to upgrade/replace for a long time, likely in favor of an affect that improves enchantment/illusion spells.

Quote Originally Posted by galan View Post
    hello
    is it ok with you if i take the parts i want from here to make a witcher-based game (not actually familiar with witcher, but a friend of mine is)?

i'll have to translate the entire thing to hebrew to do that, so i thought asking before doing that would be polite
    Go for it! Someone translated my work into Italian, so the precedent's been set.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavelcade View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm thinking of running an E6 game and I was wondering what have people's experience with Gnorman's E6 variant been? Initially it looks mostly positive, but I'm hestitant about jumping into it, the group (if it gets started) has only ever done D&D with a few non-core books.
    I can't speak for the experience portion of this (it would be a bit presumptuous of me) but I have tried to keep the system relatively close to core-only. The engineer and the hunter have subsystems that may be a bit complicated, and I might shy away from the psionic classes if your group has little or no experience with psionics. But generally, they should be pretty easy to pick up. The magic classes are probably easier for a new player than the wizard/druid/cleric, if only because you have less to keep track of, bookkeeping-wise.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Ogre in the Playground

I can't speak for the experience portion of this (it would be a bit presumptuous of me) but I have tried to keep the system relatively close to core-only. The engineer and the hunter have subsystems that may be a bit complicated, and I might shy away from the psionic classes if your group has little or no experience with psionics. But generally, they should be pretty easy to pick up. The magic classes are probably easier for a new player than the wizard/druid/cleric, if only because you have less to keep track of, bookkeeping-wise.
    Thanks for responding! That definitely sounds positive. In your experience, do the classes play well together? Do they feel around the same power level when they're in play? By that, I don't mean do they feel the same all the time, but do they all get times to shine and (if possible) never have a feeling of uselessness?

If I do decide to use this, I'll try to start a campaign journal on this forum to keep track of my experiences. Thanks for all this work!

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cavelcade View Post
    Thanks for responding! That definitely sounds positive. In your experience, do the classes play well together? Do they feel around the same power level when they're in play? By that, I don't mean do they feel the same all the time, but do they all get times to shine and (if possible) never have a feeling of uselessness?

If I do decide to use this, I'll try to start a campaign journal on this forum to keep track of my experiences. Thanks for all this work!
    I can't speak from personal experience, because I don't typically run games. One of my major design goals was to lower the ceiling for casters and raise the floor for mundanes, though. Hopefully I succeeded, at least partially - other posters might be able to give you some perspective on that.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey Gnorman, does the Inventor get bonus inventions based off a high ability score? Do the mages for that matter? If no, it might be worth consider.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Hey Gnorman, does the Inventor get bonus inventions based off a high ability score? Do the mages for that matter? If no, it might be worth consider.
    No, and I have no plans to change that - the Engineer is already officially Really Good (at least according to the data I've seen thrown out). It's the closest thing to a prepared caster in the project, so I believe it needs to be reined in a bit. Limiting inventions per day is my way of doing so.

14. - Top - End - #524
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Hey Gnorman, I'm starting work on my own E6-geared campaign. I'm doing a lot of development and whatnot for it, and I'm borrowing a lot from you. It's possible I won't borrow any specific content, but I'm certainly borrowing mechanics like Archetypes and their advancement milestones.

I noticed you don't yet have a martial adept designed in your compendium yet, and I'm actually starting work on two of my own. A Sublime Warrior, who is the token ToB combat class, and a more hybrid, skill-based, Swordsage-inspired class.

I've hardly played with ToB (I mean, I have, but those characters didn't "last" very long...), so I'm open to any guidance and suggestions--especially regarding maneuvers/stances known/readied. Also, would you tweak the level intervals for maneuvers any if converting to E6?

15. - Top - End - #525
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zovc View Post
    Hey Gnorman, I'm starting work on my own E6-geared campaign. I'm doing a lot of development and whatnot for it, and I'm borrowing a lot from you. It's possible I won't borrow any specific content, but I'm certainly borrowing mechanics like Archetypes and their advancement milestones.

I noticed you don't yet have a martial adept designed in your compendium yet, and I'm actually starting work on two of my own. A Sublime Warrior, who is the token ToB combat class, and a more hybrid, skill-based, Swordsage-inspired class.

I've hardly played with ToB (I mean, I have, but those characters didn't "last" very long...), so I'm open to any guidance and suggestions--especially regarding maneuvers/stances known/readied. Also, would you tweak the level intervals for maneuvers any if converting to E6?

Actually, there was an Initiator archetype for each combat class. Gnorman took them out because they are inherently stronger than non-initiators. Although if someone has them saved somewhere, they could still be helpful for people who want to use them

16. - Top - End - #526
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Baniff View Post
    Actually, there was an Initiator archetype for each combat class. Gnorman took them out because they are inherently stronger than non-initiators. Although if someone has them saved somewhere, they could still be helpful for people who want to use them
    Those archetypes are still in the compendium, they're just not sorted with the base classes they correlate too. You can find the initiator archetypes in the tenth post, under a spoiler tag. They're easy to miss.
    You found the hidden text! Have a cookie.

Thanks to The Stoney One for the awesome avatar!

Spoiler: My homebrew!
    Show
    The Bladebound Martyr!
    Quasi-Elemental Genasi (Plus New Feats and a Subtype)!
    My Extended Signature!

17. - Top - End - #527
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey Gnorman, if you intend for the Generic Classes to be playable, remove the stacking phrase from the Rogue Artificer Archtype. When you say cost reducers stack with other cost reducers, you start this big ugly mess where if you have that ability and a +5 Int bonus and 4 feats to invest in Extraordinary Artisan, Legendary Artisan, and a pair of Magical Artisans, things cost 8 hours to make. Just 8 hours. If you just say the cost is reduced, then normal cost reduction rules apply and you end up with the maximum potential from the ability being a 55% reduction in final price if you invest a whole ton of resources into Intelligence (assuming you only can use the Compendium races).

Also, quick question, does the Demonologist Black Mage archtype use the Undead control pool for rebuked outsiders, or a separate pool?
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zovc View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Baniff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueiji View Post
    Those archetypes are still in the compendium, they're just not sorted with the base classes they correlate too. You can find the initiator archetypes in the tenth post, under a spoiler tag. They're easy to miss.
    All good here? Seems like Blueiji's solved the issue. But I will go ahead and move those archetypes into a more obvious place, as this is not an uncommon question.

As far as a base class goes, I'm certainly not opposed to it! There is probably enough conceptual space to get two, maybe even three classes out of it. I suppose one could consolidate it into a single class, but that may be too much of an oversimplification.

I wouldn't tweak the maneuver progression much at all, beyond possibly making a sort of "Capstone Maneuver" ability that allows the once-a-day use of a 4th-level maneuver. If I've already opened the door to 4th-level spells (something I honestly consider changing!), it seems fair.

Hey Gnorman, if you intend for the Generic Classes to be playable, remove the stacking phrase from the Rogue Artificer Archtype. When you say cost reducers stack with other cost reducers, you start this big ugly mess where if you have that ability and a +5 Int bonus and 4 feats to invest in Extraordinary Artisan, Legendary Artisan, and a pair of Magical Artisans, things cost 8 hours to make. Just 8 hours. If you just say the cost is reduced, then normal cost reduction rules apply and you end up with the maximum potential from the ability being a 55% reduction in final price if you invest a whole ton of resources into Intelligence (assuming you only can use the Compendium races).

Also, quick question, does the Demonologist Black Mage archtype use the Undead control pool for rebuked outsiders, or a separate pool?
    1. The artificer archetype (and generic classes in general) are basically just a big ol' mess that I kind of ignore. But you make a good case for at least taking the time to axe that particular ability.

2. I assume it would get a separate pool, including separate restrictions on use. Isn't that how the cleric domains that offer alternative options handle it? The wording is admittedly unclear and I will correct it. Perhaps the Demonologist should rebuke outsiders INSTEAD of undead, as opposed to IN ADDITION TO, but that may seem unnecessarily punitive. I think outsiders probably see less action in E6 than undead (~80 evil outsiders with a CR of 10 or less; ~100 undead).

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm currently working on a good old fashioned Halfling Fleshraker Beastmaster build, and I am now noticing that the racial weapon are martial ability of the halfling is (in official D&D) 100% useless since there are actually no weapons at all with halfling in the name. Might I possibly recommend adding Talenta weapons, or possibly the skiprock and war sling? Even both wouldn't be too much really.

EDIT: Also, would you use the Deadly Aim ability have you replace Str or augment it with your Dexterity when using a sling? My gut says to treat them as thrown weapons.
    Last edited by Mithril Leaf; 2013-10-13 at 04:41 PM.

20. - Top - End - #530
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm currently working on a good old fashioned Halfling Fleshraker Beastmaster build, and I am now noticing that the racial weapon are martial ability of the halfling is (in official D&D) 100% useless since there are actually no weapons at all with halfling in the name. Might I possibly recommend adding Talenta weapons, or possibly the skiprock and war sling? Even both wouldn't be too much really.

EDIT: Also, would you use the Deadly Aim ability have you replace Str or augment it with your Dexterity when using a sling? My gut says to treat them as thrown weapons.
    1. That's a good point. To be fair, only the orc, gnome, and dwarf get advantages from the ability in core D&D - there are no "elven" weapons in the SRD. It's probably just not a very good ability in general.

2. Deadly Aim replaces the strength bonus when using thrown weapons. If you have a higher Strength, you can stick with it - I just wanted to give an option for low Strength users (such as halflings). Given that composite bow users would get the advantages of both, this may unfairly disadvantage thrown weapons users.

High (16) STR, mediocre (12) DEX with thrown weapon: +1 to hit, +3 to damage.
    High STR, mediocre DEX with composite longbow: +1 to hit, +4 to damage

Mediocre (12) STR, high (16) DEX with thrown weapon: +3 to hit, +3 to damage
    Mediocre STR, high DEX with composite longbow: +3 to hit, +4 to damage

It's not a huge difference, but the attack roll keys off of DEX either way. I suppose it incentivizes high DEX hunters, with a bit of strength if you can afford it (and use a composite bow). It's mostly a wash, but for consistency's sake I can see your point.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Ogre in the Playground

A few more things I'd like to bring up.
    • The esoteric only has 2 skill points per level, but they aren't Intelligence based casters
    • If you're planning on removing all the Generic Classes, who the hell is going to make magic items? Especially with all casters being fixed list, there's a notable lack of spells that are needed to make some good items.
    • The Demiurge's middle two powers and most of their Archetype Powers kinda suck. Might I possibly recommend granting them Psicrystal affinity as a bonus feat?
    • Building on the second point, since you split half the artificer off into the engineer, maybe split the other half off into another class? Perhaps one focused on creating permanent magical effects, with each Archetype focused on a different type of item, with the capstone being able to make items with a CL of 9th in their specialty. A psionic version would be a simple cut and paste.

22. - Top - End - #532
    Ogre in the Playground

A few more things I'd like to bring up.
    • The esoteric only has 2 skill points per level, but they aren't Intelligence based casters
    • If you're planning on removing all the Generic Classes, who the hell is going to make magic items? Especially with all casters being fixed list, there's a notable lack of spells that are needed to make some good items.
    • The Demiurge's middle two powers and most of their Archetype Powers kinda suck. Might I possibly recommend granting them Psicrystal affinity as a bonus feat?
    • Building on the second point, since you split half the artificer off into the engineer, maybe split the other half off into another class? Perhaps one focused on creating permanent magical effects, with each Archetype focused on a different type of item, with the capstone being able to make items with a CL of 9th in their specialty. A psionic version would be a simple cut and paste.
    • I haven't always based skill points on whether or not the casting was based on Intelligence - usually, I tried to make a direct translation from the base class. So historically, I gave cleric-types low skill points. Considering that I bumped the White Mage up to 4, though, doing the same for the Esoteric seems fair.
    • The magewright?
    • The Esoteric in general (and most of its associated archetypes) kind of suck, to be fair. It's due for a revamp.
    • I think I'll probably refrain from making an artificer, seeing as it's a base class not based on OGL content. And I might try to back off of the whole "gaming the item creation" theme, as it might run counter to some of the goals of E6.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Barbarian in the Playground

hEY THERE WOULD THIS WORK FOR THE WARDEN ACHTYPE IN THE HUNTER CLASS.

Warden
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lesser Archetype Power: An Warden gains the ability to cast a small number of spells from the green mage's spell list, as outlined in the table below. In all respects, an Warden casts spells just as a Green mage would, though he may ignore the arcane spell failure chance of all armor and shields. In addition, an Warden's class features key off of Wisdom instead of Charisma.

Moderate Archetype Power: Starting at 3rd level, a warden leaves no trail in natural surroundings and cannot be tracked. She may choose to leave a trail if so desired.
    Greater Archetype Power: A warden of 6th level can use the Hide skill in any sort of natural terrain, even if the terrain doesn’t grant cover or concealment.

Spells Per Day

Level

1st 2 - -
    2nd 3 0* -
    3rd 3 1 -
    4th 3 2 0*
    5th 3 3 1
    6th 3 3 2

* provided that the warden has a high enough Wisdom score to have a bonus spell of that level
    III'''MMMMMM BbbbaaaCCCKKKK
    From the worst 6 (or fewer lost count) months of (9)hells

Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar created by GrlumpTheElder

Take a Peek

24. - Top - End - #534
    Ogre in the Playground

When reworking the bonus spells, might I suggest the inclusion of something akin to the Signature Spell ability of the generic mage? It's still limited to 4th level spells (which aren't the craziest around) while giving you the ability to pick your capstone with a bit more fidelity.

25. - Top - End - #535
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scholar23 View Post
    hEY THERE WOULD THIS WORK FOR THE WARDEN ACHTYPE IN THE HUNTER CLASS.

Warden
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lesser Archetype Power: An Warden gains the ability to cast a small number of spells from the green mage's spell list, as outlined in the table below. In all respects, an Warden casts spells just as a Green mage would, though he may ignore the arcane spell failure chance of all armor and shields. In addition, an Warden's class features key off of Wisdom instead of Charisma.

Moderate Archetype Power: Starting at 3rd level, a warden leaves no trail in natural surroundings and cannot be tracked. She may choose to leave a trail if so desired.
    Greater Archetype Power: A warden of 6th level can use the Hide skill in any sort of natural terrain, even if the terrain doesn’t grant cover or concealment.

Spells Per Day

Level

1st 2 - -
    2nd 3 0* -
    3rd 3 1 -
    4th 3 2 0*
    5th 3 3 1
    6th 3 3 2

* provided that the warden has a high enough Wisdom score to have a bonus spell of that level
    Well, it certainly would work. I'm not thrilled by the moderate and greater archetype power, but if you're going Warden, you're probably doing it for the spell access.

When reworking the bonus spells, might I suggest the inclusion of something akin to the Signature Spell ability of the generic mage? It's still limited to 4th level spells (which aren't the craziest around) while giving you the ability to pick your capstone with a bit more fidelity.
    Yes, I'm probably going to just make it like Advanced Learning (or eliminate 4th-level spells entirely - not quite made my mind up on that yet).

Also in the works in the next few days: a new class combining the best aspects of the Zealot and the Sentinel.

26. - Top - End - #536
    Ogre in the Playground

As promised, albeit in WIP form, here's the new paladin. Combining the active defense mechanics of the Sentinel with the passive group buffs of the Zealot, the Paladin should be an able replacement for either. I've always felt that both the Zealot and the Sentinel were a little narrow, design-wise, and would be better served as a combined class. The class focuses on healing, buffing, and defending their allies and punishing foes when they attack those allies. As such, they'll be getting the familiar "give cover to your allies" mechanics from the Sentinel, as well as auras that heal and ward allies. The Paladin will be able to shrug off mighty blows, and deliver punishing attacks of opportunity when opponents attempt to attack his allies. Primary statistics will be Strength, Constitution, and Charisma, so it should be significantly less MAD than the 3.5 version. I have yet to create archetypes, but I imagine you will see a Templar-type (primarily defensive: can protect allies from hostile spells, spell resistance, etc.), a Cavalier-type (primarily offensive: bonuses when attacking fiends, dragons, the undead), and an Initiate-type (primarily supportive: bonuses to auras and healing, possible spellcasting). Let me know what you think!

The Paladin

HD: d12
    Class Skills: Balance, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Heal, Jump, Knowledge (history), Knowledge (local) Knowledge (nobility and royalty), Knowledge (religion), Listen, Profession, Ride, Sense Motive, Spot, Swim
    Skill Points: 4 + Int per level (4x at 1st)

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Auras Known

1st|+1|+2|+0|+2|Archetype Power (Lesser), Bonus Feat, Peerless Defender|-

2nd|+2|+3|+0|+3|Combat Endurance, Intervention, Project Aura|1

3rd|+3|+3|+1|+3|Archetype Power (Moderate), Determination|1

4th|+4|+4|+1|+4|Martyrdom, Unassailable|2

5th|+5|+4|+1|+4|Bonus Feat, Retributive Strike|2

6th|+6/+1|+5|+2|+5|Archetype Power (Greater), Knight Errant|3[/table]

Proficiencies: The Paladin is proficient with light, medium, and heavy armor, as well as all shields (including tower shields). He is proficient with all simple and martial weapons.

Archetype: At 1st level, the Paladin chooses an archetype from the list below. He gains the advantages and abilities of the archetype at the appropriate levels, as indicated in the list. Once made, this choice is final.

Bonus Feat At 1st level, and again at 5th level, the Paladin gains a bonus fighter feat. He counts as a fighter of his own level for the purposes of selecting feats. Once every 24 hours, the Paladin may swap out his current bonus feat(s) for any other that he qualifies for.

Peerless Defender:

Combat Endurance: The Paladin may make an additional number of attacks of opportunity equal to his Constitution bonus. In addition, the Paladin may no longer be flanked or caught flat-footed.

Intervention: The Paladin may make an attack of opportunity against an opponent he threatens when that opponent attacks an ally of the Paladin. This attack of opportunity resolves before the opponent's attack on the ally.

Project Aura:

Determination: The Paladin gains damage reduction X/-, where X is equal to his Constitution modifier or his class level, whichever is lower.

Martyrdom: If an opponent successfully attacks an ally adjacent to the Paladin, the Paladin may choose to have any damage resulting from that attack redirected to himself.

Unassailable:

Retributive Strike: The Paladin deals additional divine damage (which is not subject to damage reduction) on any attack to opponents who have attacked (either in melee or at range) an ally of the Paladin within the last round. This bonus damage is equal to the Paladin's Charisma bonus plus his class level. This bonus damage applies even if the opponent misses the ally.

Knight Errant:

27. - Top - End - #537
    Ogre in the Playground

Toying around with another idea for a new base class: how would you folks feel about a shapeshifting barbarian warrior? I know that shapeshifting is more the purview of the druid-type, but to me, the combat abilities involved seem to really favor adding it to a barbarian. Perhaps it would work only as a specialized archetype, but I thought I'd kick it around and see the response. At any rate, I really would like to add a dedicated Barbarian class, as I've always felt that's a gaping hole in the compendium.

Taking a cue from the Shapeshift Druid ACF, a Shapeshifter archetype might get a wolf form at level 1, an eagle form at level 3, and a bear form at level 6.

This would mean that the Green Mage loses shapeshifting, though it would gain an appropriate ability to compensate it, perhaps in the form of better summoning, better buffing, or some kind of spirit animal power.

Thoughts?

28. - Top - End - #538
    Ettin in the Playground

Toying around with another idea for a new base class: how would you folks feel about a shapeshifting barbarian warrior? I know that shapeshifting is more the purview of the druid-type, but to me, the combat abilities involved seem to really favor adding it to a barbarian. Perhaps it would work only as a specialized archetype, but I thought I'd kick it around and see the response. At any rate, I really would like to add a dedicated Barbarian class, as I've always felt that's a gaping hole in the compendium.

Taking a cue from the Shapeshift Druid ACF, a Shapeshifter archetype might get a wolf form at level 1, an eagle form at level 3, and a bear form at level 6.

This would mean that the Green Mage loses shapeshifting, though it would gain an appropriate ability to compensate it, perhaps in the form of better summoning, better buffing, or some kind of spirit animal power.

Thoughts?
    I would like to see that sort of thing, yes. I'd actually be interested in seeing what sort of abilities that you give the Green Mage and the new class.

One possible balance concern, level 3 flight might be iffy. It might be a good idea to have secondary benifits at higher level (e.g. level 1 you get wolf form and a bite attack, level 3 or 6 you get the effects of improved trip while in wolf form). Food for thought.
    LGBTA+itP

29. - Top - End - #539
    Orc in the Playground

Could have sworn that at one point a number of these classes gained martial maneuvers and stances ala tome of battle. Was there a massive change made to the compendium recently?

30. - Top - End - #540
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tumnus View Post
    Could have sworn that at one point a number of these classes gained martial maneuvers and stances ala tome of battle. Was there a massive change made to the compendium recently?
    He changed it so you only needed the SRD to play it. This was a while back.
    LGBTA+itP