New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Gnorman's Complete E6 Compendium

hey hey, just wanted to throw my support behind this thing, its good to see the work your doing gnorman :D alsways good to have more e6 around :D

2. - Top - End - #602
    Firbolg in the Playground

Just noticed that only the Chemistry section has the gadget, grenade, serum, and armament labels.

3. - Top - End - #603
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    So not meaning to rush you, but how's it looking now that we're well into summer?
    Summer's been a bit busier than I'd expected, but I have not abandoned the project. As work winds down and classes start up, I should honestly have more time.

Quote Originally Posted by nonsi View Post
    If each class (Ranger for instance) is broken down into 3 sub-casses - you should make sure this doesn't spread them too thin and make their functionality too narrow.
    ... and 63 classes would require a lot of work to balance.

EDIT: For version 3.0, consider not using the term "Archetype Power" for class abilities - it hides the actual features and denies the option of figuring the class by glancing the table.
    It's a lot, yeah. I'm honestly leaning towards the version WITHOUT "Skilled" classes; the Noble, Sage, Spellsword, and Blackguard are narrower concepts than I'd like, and it'd be hard to come up with archetypes that aren't too specialized. I do hate leaving the Barbarian behind, though.

Quote Originally Posted by rexx1888 View Post
    hey hey, just wanted to throw my support behind this thing, its good to see the work your doing gnorman :D alsways good to have more e6 around :D
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    Just noticed that only the Chemistry section has the gadget, grenade, serum, and armament labels.
    I have yet to update that section; it is on the to-do list though.

4. - Top - End - #604
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnorman View Post
    It's a lot, yeah. I'm honestly leaning towards the version WITHOUT "Skilled" classes; the Noble, Sage, Spellsword, and Blackguard are narrower concepts than I'd like, and it'd be hard to come up with archetypes that aren't too specialized. I do hate leaving the Barbarian behind, though.
    Want to test your mettle in the Irorium Arena? Always accepting new gladiators!

5. - Top - End - #605
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyKP View Post
    I think they make great archetypes (for the Warmage, Monk/Rogue, Bard, and Paladin, respectively), but I've always had trouble finding the design space for five archetypes for each class. Suggestions would be very welcome!

It's not decided yet, and I'm certainly willing to bow to popular pressure on the point.

6. - Top - End - #606
    Ogre in the Playground

Gnorman, as both a mortal man and the premiere E6 homebrewer around, perhaps it would useful for the next version if you encouraged people to submit material to be added to the project. You could increase integrate when needed, but a community driven system might ensure that all subsystems are covered, such as Binding.
    Speaking of Binding actually, we might want to check out the Spirit Binding from Radiance House, as their PF offerings are OGL and might be easy to implement. Just an idea though.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

7. - Top - End - #607
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Gnorman, as both a mortal man and the premiere E6 homebrewer around, perhaps it would useful for the next version if you encouraged people to submit material to be added to the project. You could increase integrate when needed, but a community driven system might ensure that all subsystems are covered, such as Binding.
    I've always encouraged people to submit material to the project! Given my lack of time recently, though, it may warrant another mention. So: HEY! SUBMIT MATERIAL TO THE PROJECT!

I will have some time over this week and next to begin shoring up the remaining glaring holes.

A repost of my to-do list:

- In general: scour thread for outstanding comments and critiques; address long-standing issues (Rizban, I'm primarily hoping to address your commentary here, but there are many others)
    - Brawler: add fifth archetype (likely an agile, elusive martial artist); Cenobite's Greater ability
    - Gladiator: replace or finish Rage Magus; replace Vindicator (likely with a Marshal-like leader/buffer)
    - Hunter: replace or finish Warden; add third option to Peerless Archer; add more traps
    - Sentinel: add fifth archetype (likely an avenging knight); Bastion's Moderate ability; Landsknecht's Greater ability; third option to Immovable Object
    - Zealot: add fifth archetype (likely an implacable protector); Cavalier's Lesser ability; replace or finish Initiate
    - Engineer: replace Machinist and possibly Innovator; standardize Invention categories
    - Sage: finish Investigator; add two options to Pure Genius; possibly nerf some Targeted Strikes
    - Scoundrel: add fifth archetype (likely a technologically-inclined operative, may even get some Inventions); replace or finish Charlatan; add two options to A Dash of Rogue
    - Blue Mage: remove Summon Monster from spell list
    - Red Mage: replace Chaos Child; possibly Sand Shaper; remove Summon Monster from spell list
    - White Mage: replace Divine Executioner (likely a theurgic summoner); add Champion's Moderate ability
    - All psionic classes: replace bonus powers from Complete Psionic (and perhaps Dreamscarred Press) with SRD-only bonus powers
    - Miscellaneous formatting & error-checking
    - Whatever else remains

8. - Top - End - #608
    Ogre in the Playground

I will have some time over this week and next to begin shoring up the remaining glaring holes.

A repost of my to-do list:

- In general: scour thread for outstanding comments and critiques; address long-standing issues (Rizban, I'm primarily hoping to address your commentary here, but there are many others)
    - Engineer: replace Machinist and possibly Innovator; standardize Invention categories
    - All psionic classes: replace bonus powers from Complete Psionic (and perhaps Dreamscarred Press) with SRD-only bonus powers
    Damn it, just as I'm about to start playing as a Innovator. I really like that archtype, but it is kinda the best one. Maybe toss on a crafting focused one instead? Or I guess you could unbreak the artificer rogue archtype, but that seems like way more work when you could just be a tinker gnome engineer.
    Also, I would personally recommend keeping the DSP powers, it encourages people to use their overall balanced material, while still maintaining the freeness inherent in your chosen system.

EDIT: Might I recommend having the Landsknecht's greater power be allowing them to make any number of attacks against charging enemies when set against a charge or something like that? Or maybe that's how it already works and I can't really see it in the places I'm looking.

EDIT2: Or maybe not that because it's 1400 GP in MIC.

EDIT3: The feat Hold The Line also gives you an AoO against all the opponents you meet once you've got a large enough reach.

EDIT4: You know though, the Sentinel really doesn't get to make that many Attacks of Opportunity, due to the fact that it's a heavy armor frontline fighter, and you'd have to run Dex as well for Combat Reflexes. Maybe they should get an ability that either gives them more or lets them use another stat for it.

EDIT5: Oh, maybe they could get one additional AoO per round for each enemy within reach of them.
    Last edited by Mithril Leaf; 2014-08-24 at 01:15 PM.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.

9. - Top - End - #609
    Ogre in the Playground

Base Sentinel abilities are also due for an overhaul; the class will focus more on doing obscene amounts of damage to enemies who dare to attack their allies rather than just protecting those allies (though that will certainly still be a secondary role). I do also plan on giving the class the ability to key AoO's off of Constitution, rather than Dexterity.

Saves Spells Per Day Spell Book
    Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special 0 1 2 3 1 2 3
    1st +0 +0 +0 +2 Archetype Power (Lesser), Spellcasting 5 3 - - 1 - -
    2nd +1 +0 +0 +3 Counterspell Mastery 6 4 - - 1 - -
    3rd +1 +1 +1 +3 Archetype Power (Moderate) 6 4 2 - 2 1 -
    4th +2 +1 +1 +4 Pure Arcana 6 4 3 - 2 1 -
    5th +2 +1 +1 +4 Bend the Will 6 4 4 2 2 2 1
    6th +3 +2 +2 +5 Archetype Power (Greater), Capstone SLA 6 4 4 3 2 2 1

10. - Top - End - #610
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmmm, maybe the Engineer could have an archtype along these lines (just spitballing here, if it's liked it could be cleaned up):
    Chymist
    Lesser Archetype Power: A chymist may measure their progress on alchemical items in gold rather than silver. Additionally, they may prepare another chemistry or explosive invention of their highest level.
    Moderate Archetype Power: All of the chymist's inventions have double their normal duration.
    Greater Archetype Power: Any invention of the chemistry or explosives fields that are prepared by a chymist may be used twice per preparation.

EDIT: Or maybe have the Greater Archetype Power be this:
    When crafting Alchemical Items, the Chymist can increase the strength of the items by increasing the DC to craft those items. They gain the following options, all of which may be stacked using standard D&D multiplication rules:
    • Double the duration of any effects created by the item: +10 (Maybe only +5) DC
    • Double the effective range of any effects produced by the item (A splash weapon's effect would double in radius, while an item that produces light would shine twice as far): +10 (Maybe only +5) DC
    • Double the potency of the item, 1d6 would become 2d6, a +2 bonus to a save would become a +4 bonus: +20 (Maybe only +10) DC

This increases the value of the items by 25% per instance of the first 2, and 50% for potency. You may or may not have to pay the increased cost to create?
    Last edited by Mithril Leaf; 2014-08-26 at 11:49 AM.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Ogre in the Playground

I know it's a very small thing, but I would suggest you to use the term Phytomancer instead of Chloromancer for the Green mage archetype, the reason being that phyto- is usually associated with plants while chloro- nowadays tends to be associated with chlorine.

Also, as always, great work.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

12. - Top - End - #612
    Ogre in the Playground

Playgrounders,

It's been a while, I know. I've missed you too. GE6 isn't dead, though it has been in hibernation for a while. Looking ahead to the future of the project, here are some base classes to expect:

The Bard
    Archetypes: Bladesinger, Chameleon, Dirgesinger, Skald, Virtuoso

The Cleric
    Archetypes: Champion, Exorcist, Healer, Oracle, Theurge

The Druid
    Archetypes: Earthdreamer, Moonspeaker, Shifter, Stormlord, Verdant Lord

The Engineer
    Archetypes: Cannoneer, Saboteur, Sawbones, Steamknight, Tinker

The Fighter
    Archetypes: Barbarian, Kensai, Juggernaut, Ravager, Warlord

The Monk
    Archetypes: Ardent, Egoist, Soulknife, Slayer, Warmind

The Paladin
    Archetypes: Blackguard, Cavalier, Hospitaler, Knight Protector, Templar

The Psion
    Archetypes: Kineticist, Nomad, Shaper, Seer, Telepath

The Ranger
    Archetypes: Beastmaster, Dervish, Sniper, Stalker, Warden

The Rogue
    Archetypes: Assassin, Factotum, Shadowdancer, Swashbuckler, Spellthief

The Sorcerer
    Archetypes: Dragon Disciple, Duskblade, Shaman, Warmage, Wild Mage

The Warlock
    Archetypes: Demonologist, Dread Witch, Hexblade, Necromancer, Verminlord

The Wizard
    Archetypes: Archivist, Artificer, Beguiler, Loremaster, Wayfarer

13. - Top - End - #613
    Ogre in the Playground

Playgrounders,

It's been a while, I know. I've missed you too. GE6 isn't dead, though it has been in hibernation for a while. Looking ahead to the future of the project, here are some base classes to expect:

The Bard
    Archetypes: Bladesinger, Chameleon, Dirgesinger, Skald, Virtuoso

The Cleric
    Archetypes: Champion, Exorcist, Healer, Oracle, Theurge

The Druid
    Archetypes: Earthdreamer, Moonspeaker, Shifter, Stormlord, Verdant Lord

The Engineer
    Archetypes: Cannoneer, Saboteur, Sawbones, Steamknight, Tinker

The Fighter
    Archetypes: Barbarian, Kensai, Juggernaut, Ravager, Warlord

The Monk
    Archetypes: Ardent, Egoist, Soulknife, Slayer, Warmind

The Paladin
    Archetypes: Blackguard, Cavalier, Hospitaler, Knight Protector, Templar

The Psion
    Archetypes: Kineticist, Nomad, Shaper, Seer, Telepath

The Ranger
    Archetypes: Beastmaster, Dervish, Sniper, Stalker, Warden

The Rogue
    Archetypes: Assassin, Factotum, Shadowdancer, Swashbuckler, Spellthief

The Sorcerer
    Archetypes: Dragon Disciple, Duskblade, Shaman, Warmage, Wild Mage

The Warlock
    Archetypes: Demonologist, Dread Witch, Hexblade, Necromancer, Verminlord

The Wizard
    Archetypes: Archivist, Artificer, Beguiler, Loremaster, Wayfarer
    Do you really need all of the above?
    65 is a tough number to achieve. I'd consider managing some of them via multiclassing (unless you've got most of them figured out already).

And here's a challenge, if you really get bored and have no special plans for a prolonged period of time: 20-level versions

14. - Top - End - #614
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nonsi View Post
    Do you really need all of the above?
    65 is a tough number to achieve. I'd consider managing some of them via multiclassing (unless you've got most of them figured out already).

And here's a challenge, if you really get bored and have no special plans for a prolonged period of time: 20-level versions
    I don't NEED all of them, no. I've been toying with cutting archetypes down to 3 per class. But the next version will also have fewer base classes (things like the Sentinel, Sage, and Noble are being cut or absorbed into other classes) so I thought I'd make up for that somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick View Post
    I know it's a very small thing, but I would suggest you to use the term Phytomancer instead of Chloromancer for the Green mage archetype, the reason being that phyto- is usually associated with plants while chloro- nowadays tends to be associated with chlorine.

Also, as always, great work.
    Good point, thanks! Changed.

15. - Top - End - #615
    Titan in the Playground

I haven't looked in at this for some time, but I started trying to build a character for a new game and was surprised and disappointed in a number of the changes. Juggernauts don't get dungeoncrashing damage until their greater archetype power now? I can see how the damage could have been too high, but I would rather see the CON to maneuvers come later and get some damage from the start so you can use your primary schtick straight on through (1d6/level + str or something).

Gladiators do...not much of interest. The abilities are fine, there just isn't much to hang your hat on beyond 'full BAB'.

Hostile spell resistance was cool for the zealot. Regular spell resistance is likely to hose your party, especially given the amount of time it takes to switch auras. You can turn it off as a free action (therefore only on your turn), but then you are just wasting the aura slot most of the time. Bad.

Brawlers no longer get light armor? I don't get it, I thought the whole point of the brawler was to learn from the mistakes of the monk. Now it has low AC and without its extra attacks won't be hurting anything. Moving fast and dieing ineffectively isn't a solid basis for a class.

Dragons also suffer from terrible AC. 1 NA per HD? No armor, no CON to AC, nothing. I don't get it.

Races seem unevenly balanced as well, but that is a post for another thread. (Dueragar immunities? Seriously?)

16. - Top - End - #616
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree that the Sentinel & Zealot are much better martial classes than the Brawler & Gladiator.

17. - Top - End - #617
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    I haven't looked in at this for some time, but I started trying to build a character for a new game and was surprised and disappointed in a number of the changes. Juggernauts don't get dungeoncrashing damage until their greater archetype power now? I can see how the damage could have been too high, but I would rather see the CON to maneuvers come later and get some damage from the start so you can use your primary schtick straight on through (1d6/level + str or something).

Gladiators do...not much of interest. The abilities are fine, there just isn't much to hang your hat on beyond 'full BAB'.

Hostile spell resistance was cool for the zealot. Regular spell resistance is likely to hose your party, especially given the amount of time it takes to switch auras. You can turn it off as a free action (therefore only on your turn), but then you are just wasting the aura slot most of the time. Bad.

Brawlers no longer get light armor? I don't get it, I thought the whole point of the brawler was to learn from the mistakes of the monk. Now it has low AC and without its extra attacks won't be hurting anything. Moving fast and dieing ineffectively isn't a solid basis for a class.

Dragons also suffer from terrible AC. 1 NA per HD? No armor, no CON to AC, nothing. I don't get it.

Races seem unevenly balanced as well, but that is a post for another thread. (Dueragar immunities? Seriously?)
    I can't honestly remember what my thought process was behind these (it's been a LONG time), but you make some fair points. Juggernaut shouldn't have to wait until 6th level to do its basic schtick, and some kind of scaling ability would be appropriate. Gladiator's mechanically solid, but boring, yes. I was kinda proud of the "hostile spell resistance" part of the Templar, and omitting it in 2.0 was probably an oversight on my part. As for your comments about the Dragon, I take your point about AC being a tad low, especially at low levels. But I designed the class with the understanding that they could also wear barding. That shores up the low AC, and by the time they can fly (thus no longer being able to wear medium or heavy barding), the natural armor is sufficient to make up the difference. And I have to say I'm a little confused about duergar immunities. Are they that overpowered? I always thought the duergar was considered a very, very poor deal for its LA.

In any case, I'm graduating in a couple of weeks, and I may have some time to make some changes while I study for the bar. I know there are still quite a few holes in this version, and I'm still committed to shoring them up.

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyKP View Post
    I agree that the Sentinel & Zealot are much better martial classes than the Brawler & Gladiator.
    I probably overreacted to some of the math-hammering of the Brawler in the previous thread. Removal of the light armor proficiency might have been part of that.

18. - Top - End - #618
    Titan in the Playground

Dragons still wouldn't be proficient in armor, so would take penalties for barding, which would count as armor. Unless that's different in 3.5, more familiar with PF. I'll try to remeber to check in when you review stuff to weigh in. Sorry if I was too strong above, I was rather annoyed at that moment since none of the things I wanted to do worked the way I remembered.

19. - Top - End - #619
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    Dragons still wouldn't be proficient in armor, so would take penalties for barding, which would count as armor. Unless that's different in 3.5, more familiar with PF. I'll try to remeber to check in when you review stuff to weigh in. Sorry if I was too strong above, I was rather annoyed at that moment since none of the things I wanted to do worked the way I remembered.
    Re: dragon proficiency: fair point. Barding has always been a bit ambiguous. With horses, at least, they aren't proficient with any armor "unless trained for war," but it doesn't say what kind of armors that grants proficiency with. Still, one could bypass the issue with "Armor for Unusual Creatures," though that still requires proficiency. My counterpoint would be this: A level one dragon could wear leather barding with no penalty; mithril chain shirt barding has no penalty either, though most characters won't be able to afford one for a couple levels. I'm wary about adding more to the dragon, because it's already a very powerful class. But the chassis and the natural attacks seem to suit it for a frontline role; lack of AC is at odds with that. I'll at least take it under advisement, though I should also warn you that in all honesty I am considering toning down or entirely removing the sorcerer spellcasting, or perhaps limiting it to one or two archetypes. The only thing preventing me from doing so is the knowledge that the Dragon seems to be a "permission-only" class; I believe at one point I had a warning on it that said something along the lines of "you should really only be using this class in an all-dragon campaign, as it has a much higher baseline than the other classes in this compendium."

Re: strength of criticism: no worries at all. I can understand your frustration. And I generally prefer that my critics don't pull their punches.

20. - Top - End - #620
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey, I have a thing for ya. An E6 Summoner. It has exactly two skill sets: Summoning and Buffing. I threw in Protection From/Magic Circle against Alignment, Resist/Protection from Energy, Comprehend Languages and Tongues as well as Dimensional Anchor. After all, someone who deals with extraplanar beings ought to know how to protect himself. Dimensional Anchor I threw in because it makes sense for an expert of, y'know, planar conjuration. I also invented a new spell, Dismiss, that, well, dismisses summoned creatures. If you know how to call 'em, you know how to get rid of 'em. Right now, I've pegged it as Summoner-only spell, but if you want to give it to other classes, feel free.

The Summoner does get a couple of extra abilities, compared to other classes but they basically boil down to Perma-summon and Quicken Spell. So, they should be fine. Right? Anyway, here's the class:

The Summoner

Hit Die: 1d6
    Class Skills: Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate, Knowledge (All except Nobility and Royalty and Architecture and Engineering), Listen, Ride, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Use Magic Device
    Skill Points: 4 + Int per level (4x at 1st)

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special 0lvl 1st 2nd 3rd
    1st +0 +0 +2 +2 Archetype Power (Lesser), Spellcasting, Companion 5 4
    2nd +1 +0 +3 +3 Augment Summoning, Quick Summon 5 5
    3rd +2 +1 +3 +3 Archetype Power (Moderate) 5 5 4
    4th +3 +1 +4 +4 Extended Summoning 5 6 5
    5th +3 +1 +4 +4 Buffing Distance 5 6 5
    6th +4 +2 +5 +5 Archetype Power (Greater) 5 6 6 4

Spoiler
    Show

Proficiencies: The Summoner is proficient with light armour and simple weapons. He does not suffer from arcane failure while in light armour.

Archetype Power: At 1st level, the Summoner chooses an archetype from the following list. Once made, the choice is final. Each archetype offers a set of powers and alters a Summoner's Summon X list, which are detailed below and become available when the Summoner is capable of casting Summon X spells of that level. The spell the archetype alters is also listed.

Spellcasting: The Summoner casts arcane spells from a specialized list, which is included below. A Summoner need not prepare spells ahead of time - he may spontaneously cast any spell on his list from the appropriate slot. He still requires eight hours of rest to refresh his spells. His sole casting stat is Charisma, which dictates both the DC of his spells and his bonus spells. To cast a spell, the Summoner must have a Charisma score equal to 10 + the level of spell in question. Any Buffing spell (See Buffing Distance) ignores the Spell Resistance (If any) and/or other immunities of your summoned creatures. Mindless creatures cannot be affected by Mind Affecting abilities, however.

Companion (Su): A Summoner has access to a Companion that he can summon at-will, this ability is always a Standard Action and there is no time limit and he summons the same creature each time. Once summoned, his Companion may enter Anti-Magic Fields and the like, but cannot be summoned into them. His Companion is chosen from the list of the highest level Summon X spell he has available (Swapping for new creatures when he gets access to them), except that he may not choose the "X from a lower list" option. This ability is equivelent to a spell with a level equal to the highest level Summon Monster spell he can cast. If killed, his Companion will reform after an hour.

Augment Summoning: At second level, a Summoner gets the Augment Summoning feat for free, regardless of whether he qualifies.

Quick Summoning (Ex): At second level, all Summon X Spells have a Casting time of a Standard Action, rather than 1 Round.

Extended Summoning (Ex): At fourth level, all of a Summoner's Summon X spells are Extended automatically without using a higher level slot. This ability does not affect the Capstone Summon.

Buffing Distance (Ex): Any Buffing spell he casts (Defined as any spell that grants a bonus to Ability Scores, skill checks, attack rolls, saves, damage rolls, grants temporary HP or grants a Miss Chance. Magic Weapon and Magic Fang, and the Greater versions, also count as Buffing spells.) that has a Range of Touch instead has a Range of Close. However, he may only target his Summoned creatures (Or their equipment) or his Companion. He may still use them as Touch spells on other allies, though.

Summoner Spell List:
    0: Detect Magic, Guidance, Message, Prestidigitation, Read Magic, Resistance, Virtue
    1st: Bless, Comprehend Languages, Entropic Shield, Mage Armour, Magic Fang, Magic Weapon, Mount, Protection from Good/Evil/Chaos/Law, Remove Fear, Shield of Faith, Summon Monster I, Summon Nature's Ally I
    2nd: Aid, Bear's Endurance, Blur, Bull's Strength, Cat's Grace, Dismiss*, Eagle's Splendour, Fox's Cunning, Heroism Owl's Wisdom, Rage, Resist Energy, Status, Summon Monster II, Summon Nature's Ally II, Summon Swarm, Tongues
    3rd: Dimensional Anchor, Displacement, Good Hope, Haste, Keen Edge, Magic Circle against Good/Evil/Chaos/Law, Magic Fang (Greater), Magic Vestment, Magic Weapon (Greater), Phantom Steed, Prayer, Protection from Energy, Summon Monster III, Summon Nature's Ally III

*New Spell:

Spoiler
    Show

Dismiss
    Conjuration

Level: Summoner 2
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
    Range: Medium
    Target: One Summoned creature
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: No
    Spell Resistance: No

This spell functions like a Targeted Dispel Magic, except as mentioned here: You may only affect Creatures summoned with a Conjuration(Summoning) effect and you gain a +4 bonus to the check.

If multiple creatures are summoned via one spell, such as via the "1d3 from the lower list" option, then you only need to successfully dismiss one creature from the group to dismiss all of them.

Dismiss can be used to Counterspell any Conjuration(Summoning) spell.

Archetypes

Energist

(Select Air, Earth, Fire or Water (Anything split by "/" will always be referring to this order, so Blue Dragon Wyrmling is added to the Summon Monster list of an Air Energist). The Bonus Monsters are just labelled "Elemental", but it is an Elemental appropriate to your selected Archetype. So, if you have the Fire Energist Archetype, you get a Fire Elemental.)

Alterations (Summon Monster):
    1st: Add Small Elemental to the 1st level list
    2nd: Add Medium Elemental to the 2nd level list
    3rd: Add Blue/Green/Red/Black Dragon (Wyrmling) to the 3rd level list.
    Capstone Summon: Large Elemental

Note: These additions can be made Companions.

(I know Blue and Green dragons are swapped Subtype wise. But their breath attack deals damage more appropriate to the Engergist types mentioned. Look, just roll with it, OK?)

Lesser Archetype Power: Your Summoned creatures gain Energy Resistance 5 to Electricity/Acid/Fire/Cold attacks. This is in addition to any Energy Resistance they already possess.
    Moderate Archetype Power: Your Summoned creatures' Electricity/Acid/Fire/Cold attacks deal an extra 1d6 damage.
    Greater Archetype Power: Your Summoned creatures' attacks ignore Electricity/Acid/Fire/Cold Energy Resistance possessed by enemies. Enemies that are immune to your Archetype's damage type instead take half damage from your Archetype's energy attacks.

Minionmancer

Alterations (Any Summon spell):
    1st: Once per Encounter, you may summon 2 Creatures of the same kind from the 1st level list
    2nd: Once per Encounter, you may summon 2 Creatures of the same kind from the 2nd level list
    3rd: Once per Encounter, you may summon 2 Creatures of the same kind from the 3rd level list
    Capstone Summon: You may summon 1d3 creatures from the 3rd level list, or 1d4+1 creatures from 2nd or 1st level lists.

Note: You cannot use these "extra" summons in conjunction with the "X creatures from another list" effect of the Summon Monster spells.

Lesser Archetype Power: Whenever you cast a Summon X spell (Or summon your companion, use the Capstone Summon), you may, once per encounter, cast another Summon spell (Companion, Capstone Summon) as a free action. You must have available spell slots to do so. (Your companion must be "alive" and you can't have used the Capstone Summon yet. Obviously, your Companion or Capstone Summon ability can only be used on one side of this effect.)
    Moderate Archetype Power: Whenever you cast a Summon X spell (Or use your Capstone Summon, but NOT when you summon your Companion.), you may cast one Buffing spell (See Spell Distance, Status counts as a Buff for this ability) with a Casting Time no greater than 1 Standard Action on your Summoned creature as a free action. This effect is considered a part of the Summon spell itself, so the creature "appears" with the effect of the spell already in place. If you summon multiple creatures, you can cast multiple spells but only one per creature.
    Greater Archetype Power: Whenever you Summon your Companion, you instead Summon two.

Celestial/Fiendish Specialist

Good summoners cannot be Fiendish Specialists and Evil summoners cannot be Celestial Specialists. Neutral Summoners can decide to be either. If your Alignment changes, then so does your Specialist type. (For example, a Neutral Fiendish Specialist becomes Good, he becomes a Celestial Specialist, instead.)

Alterations (Summon Monster):
    1st: All Fiendish Creatures are instead Celestial Creatures for a Celestial Specialist (vice versa for a Fiendish Specialist)
    2nd: All Fiendish Creatures are instead Celestial Creatures for a Celestial Specialist (vice versa for a Fiendish Specialist)
    3rd: All Fiendish Creatures are instead Celestial Creatures for a Celestial Specialist (vice versa for a Fiendish Specialist)
    Capstone Summon:
    Celestial Specialist: Hound Archon
    Fiendish Specialist: Bearded Devil

Note: These alterations also affect your Companion.

Lesser Archetype Power: The Natural Weapons of any Celestial/Fiendish creature you summon are treated as Good/Evil weapons for the purposes of overcoming Damage Reduction.
    Moderate Archetype Power: All Celestial/Fiendish creatures gain benefits from the template is if their Hit Dice was 3 higher.
    Greater Archetype Power: Once per week, you may use Lesser Planar Ally as a Spell-Like Ability without spending XP. Unlike the ordinary use of the spell, you may decide what sort of being you call (I.e, if you want to summon a Succubus, you will get a Succubus).

Master Summoner

Alterations (Any Summon spell):
    1st: Once per day, you may summon a creature from the 2nd level list
    2nd: Once per day, you may summon a creature from the 3rd level list
    3rd: Once per day, you may summon a creature from the 4th level list
    Capstone Summon: You may summon a creature from the 5th level list

Lesser Archetype Power: All Summon X spells are cast at +2 Caster Level
    Moderate Archetype Power: Your Summon X spells cannot be Counterspelled
    Greater Archetype Power: Once per week, you may use Lesser Planar Binding as a Spell Like Ability.

Last edited by Sgt. Cookie; 2015-07-03 at 10:11 AM.
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

21. - Top - End - #621
    Ogre in the Playground

Awwww, this is a class after my own heart. Superb work. With your permission, I'll put it on the front page.

Please correct me on this if I am in error, but could the Minionmancer summon, say, 4 hasted hellhounds (2 from the twinned Companion ability, 2 from the Alteration) with one standard action? Because if so, cue evil grin.

22. - Top - End - #622
    Ogre in the Playground

Feel free to stick it up there.

To be honest, I hadn't thought about that. But I'd have to say no. Only ACTUAL Summon Spells can be pre-buffed in such a manner. I'll have to make that clearer. Gimme a sec to update the actual post.

EDIT: Alright, there we go.

BTW, how would you "rate" the various Summoner Archetypes from best to worst?
    Last edited by Sgt. Cookie; 2015-05-21 at 02:12 PM.

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

23. - Top - End - #623
    Titan in the Playground

Minionmancers seems the strongest for its action economy advantages and per encounter useages, Energist and celestial/fiendish seem the weakest. Master summoner is powerful, but has a severe cap on the uses of its abilities.

Need to specify if the master summoner pays the costs as normal for leser planar binding.

24. - Top - End - #624
    Ogre in the Playground

Hm. Change Master Summoner so that they're per-encounter abilities, rather than per-day?

Also, they should.

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

25. - Top - End - #625
    Ogre in the Playground

The class seems pretty strong compared to the other magic classes. The base class looks ok, and the archetype powers are ok, but adding in those alteration abilities is like stacking on a second set of archetype powers.

26. - Top - End - #626
    Ogre in the Playground

Honestly, if you can come up with something that works better for the archetypes, I'm open to suggestions.

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

27. - Top - End - #627
    Titan in the Playground

Here are both of my coppers.

The archetypes could be:

Naturalist:

The Summoner gets Summon Nature ally instead of Summon Monster, which is a really raw deal, isn't it? But don't worry, it'll get better.

Lesser : When you summon a critter, they automatically get magic fang cast on them

Medium : When you summon a critter, they get something neat.

Greater : When you summon just one critter, get to be greenbound. If you summon multiple with the option to summon multiple of a lower level, they instead get an extra +4 str on top of the augment critter feat.

Your companion is instead an animal companion you summon, and gets to be dire for free at some point.

Minionmancer :

You summon lots of little dudes. Whenever you summon multiple dudes, you get an extra dude.

Lesser: You get 1 extra dude.

Medium: You get two extra dudes, and your dudes are flanking any baddie that more than one of them are adjacent to.

Greater: You get 4 extra dudes!

Companion is a regular dude, but you get two of them.

Elements :

You don't summon boring dudes, you summon elemental dudes!

You can only summon elementals, which sucks, but you can expand two summons to get a dude of one higher level summon, ad you have 1.5* as many summons.

Lesser: Your summons get at will spells!

Medium: Your summons get better at will spells!

Greater: Your summons get even better at will spells, and each summon has a once per summon special power! Neat!

Companion: Your companion is any regular dude with a half- elemental template. It can change when you summon it.

Necrosummoner:

You summon dead dudes.

You summon undead.

Lesser: You get a neat feat for when you summon undead. Plus, your undead get extra HP based on your cha.

Medium: You also can rebuke dead dudes!

Greater: You get to be a dead dude! Maybe a vampire? Lich is probably too strong.

Your companion is an undead dude.

Now someone make that... less dudey.

28. - Top - End - #628
    Ettin in the Playground

First thought are that most of the full casters are at 2 skill points a level, which after checking isn't true, so new question becomes why are the blue and black mages at 2 skill points a level? Going on into the psionic classes, the Empath, Esoteric, and Kinetic (the full caster psionics) all are at 2 per level.

In addition, why do third level spells wait till 6th level instead of 5th?
    Last edited by Eldest; 2015-05-22 at 12:54 PM.
    LGBTA+itP

29. - Top - End - #629
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    First thought are that most of the full casters are at 2 skill points a level, which after checking isn't true, so new question becomes why are the blue and black mages at 2 skill points a level? Going on into the psionic classes, the Empath, Esoteric, and Kinetic (the full caster psionics) all are at 2 per level.
    Black and blue mages get 2 because their casting is based on intelligence. Same with kinetic and empath. I tend to give fewer skill points to "priest" types as well, but white mage and esoteric are inconsistent in that regard. This is because white mage is more of a "cloistered cleric" concept than esoteric, who gets a higher hit die and heavy armor proficiency. Honestly, the psionic classes could use an overhaul.

30. - Top - End - #630
    Ettin in the Playground

Black and blue mages get 2 because their casting is based on intelligence. Same with kinetic and empath. I tend to give fewer skill points to "priest" types as well, but white mage and esoteric are inconsistent in that regard. This is because white mage is more of a "cloistered cleric" concept than esoteric, who gets a higher hit die and heavy armor proficiency. Honestly, the psionic classes could use an overhaul.
    Alright, didn't think to check the casting. By that logic then the summoner would get 4, then.
    Last edited by Eldest; 2015-05-24 at 03:09 AM.
    LGBTA+itP