New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default oozemaster's capstone

the oozemaster's "one with the ooze" ability at lvl 10 says that its type changes to ooze regarding what effects and items can affect him.

does this include alter self?
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: oozemaster's capstone

ooze type
    An ooze is an amorphous or mutable creature, usually mindless.

Features: An ooze has the following features.

10-sided Hit Dice.
    Base attack bonus equal to 3/4 total Hit Dice (as cleric).
    No good saving throws.
    Skill points equal to (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die, if the ooze has an Intelligence score. However, most oozes are mindless and gain no skill points or feats.
    Traits: An ooze possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature's entry).

Mindless: No Intelligence score, and immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
    Blind (but have the blindsight special quality), with immunity to gaze attacks, visual effects, illusions, and other attack forms that rely on sight.
    Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, polymorph, and stunning.
    Some oozes have the ability to deal acid damage to objects. In such a case, the amount of damage is equal to 10 + 1/2 ooze's HD + ooze's Con modifier per full round of contact.
    Not subject to critical hits or flanking.
    Proficient with its natural weapons only.
    Proficient with no armor.
    Oozes eat and breathe, but do not sleep.

I would say Yes, but I would also say you get the benfits of being immune to mind affecting things.

I would say in a wierd way, the capstone sucks besides the alter self question.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

As I understand it, the Oozemaster capstone grants you the Ooze type. This grants you the following relevant abilites:

- Oozes eat and breathe, but do not sleep.
    - Not subject to critical hits or flanking.
    - Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, polymorph, and stunning.
    - Blind (but have the blindsight special quality), with immunity to gaze attacks, visual effects, illusions, and other attack forms that rely on sight.

You are not immune to mind-affecting abilities, because you have an Int score, you do not change any HD, BAB, Proficiencies, Saving Throws or Skill points from Class levels, though there is an argument that any Racial HD you have will change.

Alter Self is definitely going to allow you to change into Oozes, but won't allow you to change into creatures of your original type.

As for sucking, silverwolfer...why? You gain a heap of immunities at the cost of losing visual sight. Sounds pretty good to me.

This is all predicated on me remembering the ability correctly that it actually changes your type (I'm AFB right now). If this is not the case, then most of the above doesn't apply.
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

4. - Top - End - #4

One with the Ooze: At 10th level, the oozemaster is as slimy as the creatures he favors. His type changes to ooze for determining what effects and items can affect him. He gains the Blindsight feat (hearing-based version) and becomes immune to flanking, poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, and all mind-influencing effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects). In addition, he is immune to polymorph-other, but he retains any shapechanging ability he previously possessed.

OGL 3e info

According to this you are immune to polymorph and alter self does not work .

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Read the very last line of the quoted text, friend.
    I can do a thousand now.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spuddles View Post
    Read the very last line of the quoted text, friend.
    Can we really qualify

but he retains any shapechanging ability he previously possessed.
    as meaning that you being able to cast a spell that alters your form (Alter Form) as a shapechanging ability?
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

The wording of the ability, whilst appearing ambiguous, is actually quite specific. Strictly speaking, your type does not change...you remain Humanoid (or whatever you were), but are treated as being an ooze by effects and items. So you don't go blind and aren't immune to polymorph (except Polymorph Other, specifically), because the ability does not specify these. Alter Self, would indeed allow you to take on Ooze forms, though due to the limitations of the spell, would not be amazingly useful (at least off the top of my head). Similarly, if you later gained access to another spell of the Polymorph subtype (e.g. Shapechange), you would still be able to use it; after all, the only Polymorph effect you're immune to is Polymorph Other. Neither do any of your Racial HD change.
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanist View Post
    Can we really qualify

as meaning that you being able to cast a spell that alters your form (Alter Form) as a shapechanging ability?
    I think so. Shapechange is a pretty broad category. See the Shifter PrC in the same book. I mean if you has the Sp polymorph self ability (3.0 hag covey, ogre mage), that would qualify. The Su shapechange would qualify. Why not Ex spellcasting with alter self as a known spell?

Quote Originally Posted by JellyPooga View Post
    The wording of the ability, whilst appearing ambiguous, is actually quite specific. Strictly speaking, your type does not change...you remain Humanoid (or whatever you were), but are treated as being an ooze by effects and items. So you don't go blind and aren't immune to polymorph (except Polymorph Other, specifically), because the ability does not specify these. Alter Self, would indeed allow you to take on Ooze forms, though due to the limitations of the spell, would not be amazingly useful (at least off the top of my head). Similarly, if you later gained access to another spell of the Polymorph subtype (e.g. Shapechange), you would still be able to use it; after all, the only Polymorph effect you're immune to is Polymorph Other. Neither do any of your Racial HD change.
    Polymorph Self got turned into Polymorph with the the 3.0 to 3.5 change.
    I can do a thousand now.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Spuddles View Post
    Polymorph Self got turned into Polymorph with the the 3.0 to 3.5 change.
    Indeed it did and Polymorph Other became Baleful Polymorph, which means that by strict RAW, One with the Ooze gives no immunity to polymorph effects at all. Alter Self also had a different name; Change Self, if memory serves, but was still unaffected by OwtO.