Default Re: Party Issues, Need Advice

I have nothing to say other than "Go Steve!"

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

So, Steve beat the party yet again.
    Steve: 3 Party: 0.

Session begins. Steve full retreats down the outflow, luring the orc into an ambush. Meanwhile, his Programmed imagage activates and distracts the party.
    Steve takes a couple swings at the orc (AO when Orc moves in, then on his round, one swing and then move.)

Orc's player realizes he's screwed, so he tries to follow steve *More slowly*, giving the Aboleth room to cast.

Steve sees him do so, and casts Dominate Monster on him. The orc chooses to fail his (Three!) will saves. (One VS initial dominate, with +2 from Protection from Evil, one to suppress [Pathfinder rule] with +4 bonus, and one to act against his nature, with +2 from PFE and +4 as per Dominate Monster, for a total of +6.)

So now the Orc is dominated, and swimming back up the outlet, while the rest of the party follows the illusion up the inlet.

Hilarity ensues. They get down from the Inlet after finding the meltwater feed, and encounter their own party member while the Aboleth hides safely in an ilusion at the bottom of the lake, using Project Image to talk to them.

He charges them 28,000GP for the return of their Orc.

They negotiate some, and manage to also buy the sword off of him, with the Rogue making a successful bluff that it was only a +2 sword. Don't say I never did anything nice :p

After that, the party just left the dungeon. They encountered some golems just 'cuz apparently they wanted to (One Blood, one Flesh, one Bone. Thematic! and Level Appropriate!)

Now they've decided not to go back to Aboleth Mountain until they're level 20. At which point they will just wish in, wish Steve dead, and then pee in his pool.

Then they went off to a farmhouse to enslave some humans and a couple wereboars, sell them to a sorceror so he could PaO and Mindrape them, then use them as breeding stock for the Emerald Legion.

The party alignment is now evil, btw. Don't know if I mentioned that.

After getting paid, they prepared to hunt down the next thing on the list: Air Trolls. The Summoner did the smart thing and hired a Wizard to cast some divinations. It was revealed that Air Trolls live on an island on the moon.

The party was very upset with me.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

I second (third?) the vote that Steve should retire at this point.
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Nice work.

I think Steve should take a back-seat for a few sessions, before the party encounter him during his next gig.

How many xp did Steve earn then ?
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Oh please let there be a gate to the island on the moon at the bottom of Steve's pool.
    I didn't choose the life of a murderhobo, it chose me.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #96

Oh god. I laughed. I actually LOLed. In a PC cafe in Shantung.

Now the Chinese really do think I'm crazy.

7. - Top - End - #97

OldWizardGuy

I second (third?) the vote that Steve should retire at this point.
    He's planning to.

Nice work.

I think Steve should take a back-seat for a few sessions, before the party encounter him during his next gig.

How many xp did Steve earn then ?
    I haven't bothered to track it, but if you want to crunch the numbers for me, on the Pathfinder Medium XP chart, he's soloed 4 CR 4's, 4 CR 6's, and 4 CR 7's. I just up and decided he'd get a level in something at this point.

Oh please let there be a gate to the island on the moon at the bottom of Steve's pool.
    Well he DID just get 36000 GP...

Oh god. I laughed. I actually LOLed. In a PC cafe in Shantung.

Now the Chinese really do think I'm crazy.
    Glad we could help with international relations :p

So! Given your suggestions, I think we shall have;

Steve hire a contractor to build him a Gate to the moon, which will take a few sessions. He plans to retire there, as gravity is less and the view is phenominal.

If the party encounters him again on the moon, he will farm them ONE LAST TIME, for old time's sake.

Edit: What class should Steve take a level in?
    Last edited by Acanous; 2012-08-17 at 07:13 AM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Acanous View Post
    Steve sees him do so, and casts Dominate Monster on him. The orc chooses to fail his (Three!) will saves. (One VS initial dominate, with +2 from Protection from Evil, one to suppress [Pathfinder rule] with +4 bonus, and one to act against his nature, with +2 from PFE and +4 as per Dominate Monster, for a total of +6.)
    Too bad you're playing Pathfinder. In 3.5 the Orc would have been immune to dominate monster and any other mind-affecting spell or effect.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Orc in the Playground

I feel like a wizard specialized in illusions is a good idea, depends how many levels you're getting him. There are some entertaining options there like alchemist, which may be good as he usually plans well, he could set some bombs to prepare for them and stuff like that. He often manages to get at them when they don't know where he is, so a rogue might allow him to get sneak attacks with all of his tentacles, because he does get multiple hits, right?
    καὶ τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει, καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν. John 1:05

Thanks to Cuthalion for the awesome avatar!

78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.

Spoiler
    Show
    A camp of cyclops on a partially-dead magically-blighted plain.

ThiagoMartel:
    Anime is a media, not a genre. Banning something for being 'too anime' is like banning something for being 'too book'.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Wizard or Beguiler might seem an interesting choice, but he already has Illusions sorted.

Something clerical perhaps ?

Or (Mystic) Ranger for BAB and stealth (and spells).
    Favoured Enemies customised for the party he likes to play with.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Warped Druid Handbook

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

How about a level in Bard. The distraction and fascinate abilities make for a useful supplement to his existing powers.
    I didn't choose the life of a murderhobo, it chose me.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #102

I think the party is done with the Illusion spell school for a while. And to a lesser extent, they've been annoyed enough by Transmutation (Aboleth Mucus is kind of like Transmutation), and Enchantment. I say give him some Wizard levels and let him play with spells which are from neither of these two spell schools. They need more effects which target Reflex and Fortitude, I think they're getting tired of making Will Saves all the time.

EDIT:
    Come to think of it, I think a level or two in Bard would be hilarious.
    Last edited by Karoht; 2012-08-17 at 04:40 PM.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Yes Bard would be funny, but you would need 2 or 4 levels for useful spells.
    He could buff up his minions and serenade the party with humorous ditties.
    π = 4

Warped Druid Handbook

14. - Top - End - #104

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    Yes Bard would be funny, but you would need 2 or 4 levels for useful spells.
    He could buff up his minions and serenade the party with humorous ditties.
    Steve:
    Here is a little diddy I wrote. Hope you enjoy.

Buff, buff, buff, some minions, help them beat you up,
    Fascinate you, steal your lewts, kick you out of my house.
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Can we have a list of the significant items Steve got from the party, and the most memorable moments please ?

Then we can write a song for Steve.
    π = 4

Warped Druid Handbook

16. - Top - End - #106
    Orc in the Playground

You should have him take bard, and then when they get to the moon they hear beautiful music coming from somewhere distant, and if they follow it they'll find Steve in a small pool on an island with a moat filled with deadly things between him and them and beautiful women sitting there next to him. He holds a lute in his...tentacles?...and is making beautiful music. If they try to cross the moat they have to deal with the dangerous stuff, and if they manage to get across he'll go through the portal in the bottom of the pool that leads back to his cave. If you want to make it funnier, and have it then decided that Steve isn't evil, especially since the party now is, make the women be lillends who are accompanying him with music from their harps and singing. Then they'll see that the aboleth who has been screwing with them this entire time is both good aligned and a good enough musician to draw celestial attention. This is my recommendation at least, just make sure he gets out of there alive.
    καὶ τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει, καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν. John 1:05

Thanks to Cuthalion for the awesome avatar!

78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.

Spoiler
    Show
    A camp of cyclops on a partially-dead magically-blighted plain.

ThiagoMartel:
    Anime is a media, not a genre. Banning something for being 'too anime' is like banning something for being 'too book'.

17. - Top - End - #107

OldWizardGuy

A Necklace of Fireballs, a +2 Longsword, and a +2 warhammer. He also got a bunch of other stuff, but they took it back on a subsequent run.

I'm seeing lots of "Spellcaster" suggestions. How about I give him a few levels of cleric, then retrain him Ur-Priest? Could then re-train his base level to Wizard, gnab a scroll of PaO, turn him into a beholder, go Beholder mage, then Mystic Theurge.

In Pathfinder, CR=LA, and every 3 levels you reduce LA by 1 (Minimum half rounded down). So Steve would get 4 levels and be CR 10, 2 more and he'd be 11, etc.
    By CR 20 he could have 17 class levels, and getting him dual 9ths would be really funny.
    Last edited by Acanous; 2012-08-17 at 09:25 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108

As cool as the Dual 9ths suggestion is, I kind of feel that he stops being 'Steve' at that point.
    The Aboleth that farms adventure groups for their lewts...
    Bard feels a bit more in theme. He can farm adventure groups for lutes!
    Illusions + the Enchantment type spells and features that Bards get would be pretty awesome.

Plus, kicking the party's ass with a Aboleth Bard just sounds more insulting than curbstomping them with 9th level Arcane/Divine.

I mean, you know that these party members would never play a Bard.
    Cuz Bards suck amirite?

I think, if Steve is going to make a return in the future, Bard + the Aboleth SLA's is not only a deadly combination, but would be the perfect creature to say to the party "Bet you still can't beat him."

19. - Top - End - #109

OldWizardGuy

The party hates PrCs and multiclass characters, though. So someone who is a monster with nothing but PrC levels? Would bring down the house, y'know?

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Prestige Bard ?
    But you may need to ret-con his skills to let him qualify.
    π = 4

Warped Druid Handbook

21. - Top - End - #111

OldWizardGuy

Did the XP calculations, he is indeed now lv 8.

22. - Top - End - #112

Bard. For reals. Doo eeet.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hmm. What to do with an aboleth to let him kill players? How about the aboleth savant prestige class from Lords of Madness? I know he doesn't qualify yet, but give him a level of wizard, and let him work towards it. Plus, after he gets through it, then he'll be able to spam glyphs throughout his cave that will kill the players before they ever even reach him. I put energy drains in them once, starting salvo of the five (i think five is the most they're allowed) killed a player, nerfed the two main casters so badly they couldn't really participate, and then he mind-raped the paladin, for the giggles. I like aboleths. They're fun.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

Please do not write players when you mean player characters. It is disturbing.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Bugbear in the Playground

at 4 pages the next session has probably already happened and this advice may be wasted.

But one annoying thing about being the DM is being the most responsible person there.

It was their fault, they where stupid and spoiled.

but one failing i see in people, especially in management positions (im thinking of work now), that as the responsible one even if your persons are stupid, slow and cant think for themselves that you have to make it work.

Maybe make a short list of 4 or 5 possibilities a powerful entity might do to a party at their mercy.

and Plot devices aren't necessarily restricted by stats.

Putting the party on a geas. Put em in a dungeon. Put em in a slave mind.

Every defeat leads to a brand new quest.

Magic.
    Part of the "Raise Nale and Let Him Serve Life in Prison" fan-club

"The only reason why people didn't like Durkon before was because he is the only member of the group that doesn't commit evil, like hurting others, or breaking the rules for giggles. I.E.' He's not cool'"

26. - Top - End - #116
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

The Red Towel: Thread necromancy.
    “Sometimes, immersed in his books, there would come to him
    the awareness of all that he did not know, of all that he had not read;
    and the serenity for which he labored was shattered as he realized the
    little time he had in life to read so much, to learn what he had to know.”
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    My Homebrew (Most Recent) | Forum Rules
    /veɪnoɚ/