New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OotS Style Art/Fanart Showcase V

Quote Originally Posted by CapedLuigiYoshi View Post
    How's this, then?
    As everyone else above me has said, it's great.

I hope I haven't scared you or anyone else away from colored lines completely. Just remember to use everything in moderation is all I'm saying.

Edit- Something of my own. This is the first Oots style image I've made using what I've learned from Ooze. So this is pretty much all brush and no line tools. Although 1 or 2 bits or recycled from elsewhere.

Also, I hate how I spent like an hour carefully shading everything and you can only see like 15% of it at most.
    Last edited by Tiffanie Lirle; 2012-10-16 at 11:31 AM.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

WOW that's pretty. i dunno what's going on but man is it pretty
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #183
    Troll in the Playground

My computer pretty much hated me for making this, until I closed Inkscape and it got to cool off . (swear I need to replace my video card and RAM DX)

Spoiler
    Show

Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

It's simply been too long since I posted here.
    My pronouns are they/them, but I don't care much.

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #185
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ccheeeeeeennnn!
    As promised, an MSPaintatar resized in Irfanview.

After years of sticking to what I knew, I have begun experimenting with paint.NET, adding effects to my last piece: The Phantom Ensemble, Prismriver Sisters. I think the glow effect adds a bit of an ethereal touch. It is worth noting that 95% of the linework was still done in MSPaint.

They're not complete, however--the eyes are not how I want them to be; I'm still debating whether to make them solid black, or apply a shimmering/glowing effect. I wonder if Kid Kris, the other person I know who uses paint.NET, would know how to add the glow effect? Lastly, maybe they'd look more ghostly if I adjust the colours to something more bluish.

I'm still very new to this program, I need to wrap my head around layers...

Spoiler
    Show

In other words, I noticed the discussion about coloured vs. black lines. As you can see, I follow to the coloured line method, mainly because it helps distinguish between the outlines of different parts of the image.

Finally, considering the ten multiquote limit, I want to compliment everybody on their admirable work.

@V: Who? What? Yeah, I think Miss Lirle's last image is pretty sweet, too. Her use of the rain effect and extreme foreground added a three-dimensional touch. And Derjuin's faerie dragon? How did she get the excellent irregular gradient effect? ... ... Unless you were talking about me... in which case

The rock band d2b you posted a while ago has a boatload more class than these simple poltergeist players.
    Last edited by Kurien; 2012-10-28 at 07:28 AM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Gorgeous.
    Just gorgeous.

@^: You don't have to try so hard to deflect praise. Thanks for the compliment though.
    Last edited by Elder Tsofu; 2012-10-29 at 04:02 PM.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurien View Post
    They're not complete, however--the eyes are not how I want them to be; I'm still debating whether to make them solid black, or apply a shimmering/glowing effect. I wonder if Kid Kris, the other person I know who uses paint.NET, would know how to add the glow effect? Lastly, maybe they'd look more ghostly if I adjust the colours to something more bluish.

Glow effect in Paint.net? Well um, When Not working in Inkscape, I use paint.net, so I might as well tell you what I do for glow effects. it's simple. I do the exact same shape (or whatever the heck you may be trying to make glow. It works for most things) usually with a copy-paste into new layer,then brighten the colors a bit, and apply a blur. I typically use a Gaussian blur. I hope that helps.
    Last edited by asdflove; 2012-10-29 at 05:25 PM.

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by asdflove View Post

What do you think?

*snip'd*
    I love what you've done with her* hair. It has a lot of detail, and the shape is very cool looking. The colors of the first avatar also seem very fitting, and mesh well. In the time that you have been posting, your avatars have gotten a lot better! Keep up the good work!

*Saying "her" because I am not sure if they are different people or just the same person in vampire/not vampire mode

Also, I have a new creating I would like to show you all! Spoilered, of course.

Spoiler
    Show

I'm the dude on the far left.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kymme View Post
    I love what you've done with her* hair. It has a lot of detail, and the shape is very cool looking. The colors of the first avatar also seem very fitting, and mesh well. In the time that you have been posting, your avatars have gotten a lot better! Keep up the good work!

*Saying "her" because I am not sure if they are different people or just the same person in vampire/not vampire mode
    *snip*
    It's the same girl. She'll be in my fan comic. (Image link in my signature if you're blind) This one was actually kinda hard. Messing up a curl is harder than you think it would be. But the end result was worth it if I do say so myself. Is it weird that the purple in her hair and shoe are based on a completely different character and I just picked colors that looked good with it? ...
    How long has it been since my first post here?... Hmm... Well Thank you.

*Found my first post here.

Barley over a month ago... Feels like longer.
    Last edited by asdflove; 2012-10-29 at 09:56 PM.

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not a particular fan of the hair to be honest, it is too clunky and before you said they were curls I didn't see what it was that you wanted to achieve.
    Mind you, I agree that curls are hard. ^^
    Attempt by me at curls below:
    Spoiler
    Show

One thing that might make it easier to see that the curls are curling is to add a slightly different shade to the "outside" and "inside" of the curl. Nothing extreme mind you, just a hint which you don't really notice before you're looking for it.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Halfling in the Playground

need some feedback, i'm trying to draw a noble coat, this is my first attempt

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

After years of sticking to what I knew, I have begun experimenting with paint.NET, adding effects to my last piece: The Phantom Ensemble, Prismriver Sisters. I think the glow effect adds a bit of an ethereal touch. It is worth noting that 95% of the linework was still done in MSPaint.

Spoiler
    Show

Depends on the type of glow you want, really. I would suggest experimenting until you find stuff that works. For a 'radiant' glow, like say, a lightsaber, I suggest making a white shape on a separate layer, blurring it, and on a layer above that, add an overlay of the color you want. The intensity of the blur adjusts the intensity of the glow. You probably want to do this all in a separate image, flatten it, and then copy-paste it into your avatar, so you don't tint everything the color. I can't seem to get this to work anymore.

For a more shimmering effect, I use exactly what you've done there, which is colored clouds. For flavor I might add some transparencies and dents.

See also:
    Spoiler
    Show

If you troll around the forums, you can find quite a few neat effects to add to avatars (hidden amongst all the crap, of course) or just plain useful techniques and leaps in intuition/thinking that will help you in general.

On the subject of plug-ins, I would definitely recommend Align Objects as being insanely useful, as well as Outline from BoltBait's pack. The rest of BoltBait's is pretty good in terms of miscellaneous effects as well as pyrochild's.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2012-10-30 at 10:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

So many fancomic villains, so little time.

Everything about her design is set, except her eyes. I don't know whether to keep the red eyes or not. What do you think?
    Last edited by asdflove; 2012-10-30 at 09:12 PM.

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know whether to keep the red eyes or not. What do you think?
    I think they're, along with the mouth, way too big. *Shrugs*

Also, evil character with red eyes? Boooring.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Finally made a god (Er- Goddess) for Nomka, but What should she be god of????

She's either TN or LN

Oh and there's this-
    Spoiler
    Show

Put in Spoiler just in case anyone who reads my fan comic is here. It has some spoilers for later stuff in it.
    Last edited by asdflove; 2012-11-02 at 09:56 PM.

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #196

*snip*

What do you think?

Glow effect in Paint.net? Well um, When Not working in Inkscape, I use paint.net, so I might as well tell you what I do for glow effects. it's simple. I do the exact same shape (or whatever the heck you may be trying to make glow. It works for most things) usually with a copy-paste into new layer,then brighten the colors a bit, and apply a blur. I typically use a Gaussian blur. I hope that helps.
    Thanks, duly noted. Also, I like the character; the curls and hair colour made me think it was Rarity for a second. Do her living and vampire forms differ in alignment?

Also, I have a new creating I would like to show you all! Spoilered, of course.

Spoiler
    Show
    *snip*
    I'm the dude on the far left.
    Your developing style reminds me of Terry576; tall and thin. I like your characters's emblem best, but the middle character has the coolest weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander leah View Post
    need some feedback, i'm trying to draw a noble coat, this is my first attempt

Spoiler
    Show
    It's not bad of an attempt. It seems the legs need to be longer to have proper proportion with the torso. The shoulders, where the arm attaches to the torso, could be lower/closer together. Also, rounded ends on the lines is generally considered better than square ends. I can't tell you how to do change that though, because I don't use Inkscape.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kris View Post
    Depends on the type of glow you want, really. I would suggest experimenting until you find stuff that works. For a 'radiant' glow, like say, a lightsaber, I suggest making a white shape on a separate layer, blurring it, and on a layer above that, add an overlay of the color you want. The intensity of the blur adjusts the intensity of the glow. You probably want to do this all in a separate image, flatten it, and then copy-paste it into your avatar, so you don't tint everything the color. I can't seem to get this to work anymore.

For a more shimmering effect, I use exactly what you've done there, which is colored clouds. For flavor I might add some transparencies and dents.

See also:
    Spoiler
    Show
    *snippity snip*

If you troll around the forums, you can find quite a few neat effects to add to avatars (hidden amongst all the crap, of course) or just plain useful techniques and leaps in intuition/thinking that will help you in general.

On the subject of plug-ins, I would definitely recommend Align Objects as being insanely useful, as well as Outline from BoltBait's pack. The rest of BoltBait's is pretty good in terms of miscellaneous effects as well as pyrochild's.

Good luck!
    Thanks Kid Kris, I had taken a look at the PDN forums before I read your suggestion, but knowing that you got something out of them, I'll continue looking. I've bookmarked the links, and will definitely look at the plugins.

Also, I'm still unsure how you get the antialiased effect for your avatars without the antialias effect leaving noticeable white lines after the bucket tool. So far I've stuck to non-antialiased lines.

Finally made a god (Er- Goddess) for Nomka, but What should she be god of????
    *snip*
    She's either TN or LN
    Oh and there's this-
    Spoiler
    Show
    *snip*

Put in Spoiler just in case anyone who reads my fan comic is here. It has some spoilers for later stuff in it.
    My first thought was the goddess of the feeling of deja vu. I don't know why that's the first thing that came to mind . Maybe the goddess of berry harvest? Goddess of hope?

And finally, I have a new creation, made pretty much completely in PDN.
    Marisa Likes Her Mushrooms.

Spoiler
    Show

I'm still very new to PDN, but I've gained a bit of experience doing this piece. It took forever to do and I still consider it a crude attempt at art, however. Being still new to layers, I may have gone overboard with them. There's more than 20.

See if you can identify the part where I thought "Screw it, I don't know how to make this look right."

Edit @vv: Yup, I'll want to redo the skirt later.
    Last edited by Kurien; 2012-11-03 at 08:05 PM.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

Being still new to layers, I may have gone overboard with them. There's more than 20.
    Nah, don't worry.

10-15 layers is about the average amount I use for a standard, boring, non-shiny avy. The image at the very top of this page has around 45 layers in all. *shrugs*

Spoiler
    Show

New request I just made. For references sake, it has 17 visible layers, and 7 sub layers inside of movie clips for the boots, wings and eyes. For a total of 24 layers.

So 20 is pretty reasonable.
    Last edited by Tiffanie Lirle; 2012-11-03 at 05:23 PM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanie Lirle View Post
    Nah, don't worry, 20 is pretty reasonable.
    I agree with that. Although it depend on what you call a layer, Inkscape as an example has layers within layers.

Was it the skirt/apron? Still pretty.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks, duly noted. Also, I like the character; the curls and hair colour made me think it was Rarity for a second. Do her living and vampire forms differ in alignment?
    *Snip*
    I hope I helped. Rarity? Lol. I have done her humanized in OotS style. (Though I don't remember if I posted it here...) Yeah, She went from TN to NE.

EDIT:
    Well I did post her here after all.
    And more art-
    *Snip* My first thought was the goddess of the feeling of deja vu. I don't know why that's the first thing that came to mind . Maybe the goddess of berry harvest? Goddess of hope?
    *Snip*
    Goddess of Deja Vu? That is a strange idea. Hope... I like that.
    Goddess of hope it is.
    Last edited by asdflove; 2012-11-04 at 01:43 PM.

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurien: I typically flatten the lineart to one layer, make a duplicate layer of it, then use the paint bucket on the bottom layer with the tolerance set to 70% (as opposed to the default 50%).

If the lineart is really complicated or you have glow effects and you don't feel like flattening it, just make a new layer underneath everything and use the paintbrush. This is what I used to do most of the time before I learned the upper, more convenient method from Qwernt.

Or you could do the thing I do now where you duplicate every individual layer of line art and then merge *those* so you have one layer of complete line art but retain your individual layers of line art in progress.
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2012-11-05 at 08:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Troll in the Playground

I've been experimenting with shading recently. Feedback?
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

22. - Top - End - #202
    Troll in the Playground

Thing I did last night, while trying to think of a character concept for a D&D game:

It's a dragonkin cleric, focused on smashing faces.
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2012-11-05 at 09:16 PM.
    Morning Star

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Derjuin View Post
    Thing I did last night, while trying to think of a character concept for a D&D game:

*snip*

That looks really cool, Derjuin. I really like the design of the armor and weapon, but I have one problem with it. The boots seem a bit wonky, like they are missing some lines somewhere. But other than that, I like it!

Also, I have a new avatar that I'd like to show everyone!
    He is a Legend character of mine, a quick warrior who can wield a huge weapon with ease.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

Aaaaaaaand another:

That looks really cool, Derjuin. I really like the design of the armor and weapon, but I have one problem with it. The boots seem a bit wonky, like they are missing some lines somewhere. But other than that, I like it!

He is a Legend character of mine, a quick warrior who can wield a huge weapon with ease.
    Thanks!

The way the weapon breaks out of the panel is nicely done - gives the impression that it is unusually huge
    Morning Star

25. - Top - End - #205

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanie Lirle View Post
    Nah, don't worry.

10-15 layers is about the average amount I use for a standard, boring, non-shiny avy. The image at the very top of this page has around 45 layers in all. *shrugs*
    Then I haven't delved the depths of insanity yet...

New request I just made. For references sake, it has 17 visible layers, and 7 sub layers inside of movie clips for the boots, wings and eyes. For a total of 24 layers.

*snip*

So 20 is pretty reasonable.
    I like it. How long did it take you to complete it?

Quote Originally Posted by Elder Tsofu View Post
    I agree with that. Although it depend on what you call a layer, Inkscape as an example has layers within layers.

Was it the skirt/apron? Still pretty.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kris View Post
    Kurien: I typically flatten the lineart to one layer, make a duplicate layer of it, then use the paint bucket on the bottom layer with the tolerance set to 70% (as opposed to the default 50%).

If the lineart is really complicated or you have glow effects and you don't feel like flattening it, just make a new layer underneath everything and use the paintbrush. This is what I used to do most of the time before I learned the upper, more convenient method from Qwernt.

Or you could do the thing I do now where you duplicate every individual layer of line art and then merge *those* so you have one layer of complete line art but retain your individual layers of line art in progress.
    Thanks, that's helpful to consider! I now follow your last tip, duplicating each layer before merging them so that I have a backup in case I need to change something later. My latest work has something like 35 layers doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post
    I've been experimenting with shading recently. Feedback?
    *snip*
    I thought the spiked chain could have larger links, and the spikes restricted to the last four or five. An art style which follows by the Giant's example is maybe not the most suitable for employing shading techniques.

*snip*
    Aaaaaaaand another:
    *snip*
    On the first one, are the dragon heads with orange horns part of his helmet, or his pauldrons? Right now they look too high up, as though they would be on the side of the neck on a non-OotS person.

What species is the second character?

*snip*
    Coincidentally, my latest pic has a similar pose to this.

I like the interesting effects you can make in PDN. As a break from Touhou characters, I drew something entirely different (well almost, he is still a character from a game produced in Japan )

Spoiler
    Show

I hope Domochevsky doesn't mind it's influenced by his style...

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

Just stop being awesome with special effects already!
    Nicely done, although I feel that it might be slightly too much 3D effect on the giant arms to fit in with the still quite 2D figure. But it does put emphasis on the arms as something above the ordinary and out of this world which I think fits the spirit of the drawing. I'm a bit divided on the matter.

I also sat down and actually drew something, I thought I'd test out my new stationary computer instead of the netbook and perhaps be able to use a bit more special effects than usual. I did and was able to (my netbook would have melted from the strain) but I ended up scrapping them all after realizing why I stopped using special effects in the first place.
    And whew, I'm totally out of shape... I must workout and regain some artistic muscles. ^^

Edit: Realized it might be a slight spoiler since it is based on a scene in episode 8 of the sound-novel Umineko no Naku Koro ni. You have been warned.
    Spoiler
    Show

I also recorded the session but I'm unsure if I'm going to do anything with it since it is a bit anticlimactic to reach the end and just scrap what you worked with during 2/3'ds of the video.
    Last edited by Elder Tsofu; 2012-11-10 at 04:01 PM.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Bugbear in the Playground

Still don't know how you people can do such fancy art in OotS style. Fancy poses and layering work and other stuff I can't do.

All I have to show for recent stuff is my comic's new title art; for those of you that haven't already seen it, I blacked out certain characters because they haven't been introduced yet, and since my comic is still a work in progress.

Also happy with my new title logo for "Tales of Revelia". For those of you that saw the old one, this one is so much better.
    Currently playing a "blind" (Miraluka) sniper in a Star Wars SAGA Edition RP

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

They look taller, willowy like teenagers. ^^

29. - Top - End - #209
    Bugbear in the Playground

Only in this image. And don't underestimate teenagers. They can save the world.
    Currently playing a "blind" (Miraluka) sniper in a Star Wars SAGA Edition RP

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elder Tsofu View Post
    They look taller, willowy like teenagers. ^^
    (Well that would fit the "JRPG" theme of his comic. I mean you've ever seen JRPG protagonist that look older than 20 ? It's like they all die or retire at 25)
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-