New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Need quotes for a major project

So, some of you may be familiar with my Crossroads: the New World project. Granted, it's relatively unlikely, but it's possible, and I could always use an opportunity to plug my project.

Anyways, I'm trying to lay the groundwork for my project to turn into a serious campaign setting. A proper book, you know? But to do that I need two people with very different skill sets than my own. I want to be clear, the project's not near to done, so this isn't an immediate job offer, I'm looking for quotes on prices that I could possibly expect to pay for the services.

Firstly, I need an artist, who can produce high-quality art in the semi-realistic D&D style, to create illustrations of various playable races, classes, monsters, spells, and possibly even cities, maps and cultures. I don't have an exact number of images necessary, since there's still much to do, but let's assume 100 images, mostly single-character portraits.

Secondly, I need an editor who can double-check and format the raw text provided, insert the appropriate images, make tables, and generally make the product look very neat and finished. As said before, I don't know exactly how long it will end up being, but let's assume about 300 pages for prices.

I'm hoping to use the quotes provided to set a baseline for how much money I would need to see this project finished to satisfaction. If what I've given isn't enough information, feel free to ask for more.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Need quotes for a major project

Hm, as for the art part... about 100 images of full character shots with all the everythings, but no backgrounds, hm? All in a style that is somewhat realistic, plus a image size fit for a book.

At my rates that would put you down about 1600 USD, not accounting for potential royalties from book sales. (Assuming you plan on selling it, of course.)

You probably wanna consider that the low end of things, though, as I'm pretty cheap for the level of quality you'd get from me. >_>
    Last edited by Domochevsky; 2013-09-02 at 06:28 AM.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well, so far I have about four quotes, but they seem a bit... widely spaced.
    1600, 2000, ~4000, and ~15000.

This isn't really helping me get a useful baseline price. And apparently nobody knows any editors, either...
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

Devil

I sent you a pm with some reference material. If you're interested, get in touch with some more specifics on the project, and I can give you some price quotes.
    I can be PMed for commissions and questions and such :) (Currently there's quite some waiting time on big jobs, as I'm pretty busy. I can still fit in small jobs though.)
    Art Thread (You should go look! It has artwork! :O)
    Lords of the Nine project

I will rise up from the chaos
    I will rise up from the grave
    A brother to the darkness
    A master to the slave

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

I might be able to help. Well, not me personally, but I know friend how makes art and does these sort of things. PM me if you want me to get in touch with them.