New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Would You Allow It?

Quote Originally Posted by Fighter1000 View Post
    That doesn't make sense and sounds wrong.
    Just like the Owlbear. Poor owlbear, Fighter's don't like you.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

The world is not medieval. Casters can make water pure by touching it and produce food for a dozen people every day, at low level. They can cure any disease in seconds. That changes the game early on.
    Later, we can move goods instantly, create them from nothing and change htem from one material to another. That changes the economy.

Really, in a world where casters can stop time, go for a cup of tea in heaven in the afternoon, talk to gods, summon rainbow coloured flying snakes, clone themselves, build golems out of stained glass and demon parts and create new worlds that are made out of rubber and prone to earthquakes, what is so bad about someone creating a chicken with alchemy?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

No way would I allow it. It's just ridiculous and stupid.
    Test tubes, in a medieval fantasy game? That doesn't make sense and sounds wrong.
    Why does that sound wrong? The real world had alchemists once. They had to use something to work with those chemicals, even if they had only the vaguest notion of what they were doing.
    Last edited by Kelb_Panthera; 2012-07-28 at 08:45 PM.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

I'm going to clock in to the: does it work in your game world.

Balance wise, I'd be careful letting them create things beyond basic animals.

But really it matters most if it fits the setting fluff.

I know in mine a combination of high level arcane and divine magic can create life as can other high level magic. Theoretically you also need the appropriate skill set (Craft (Alchemy), Knowledge skills).

So I'd say there's no universal answer only the right one or wrong one for you.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

5. - Top - End - #35
    Firbolg in the Playground

Maybe, it depends, I probably would have the same spellcasting requirement as alchemy, and make it livestock only, hence craft livestock, because if its animals, crafting wartrained legendary tigers is a go, and everything, you can bet they'll start making angels and dragons and ask for prices for those things. Still at low levels, animals can be rather powerful (More so in 2nd ed, two 2nd ed light warhorses sometimes were as effective as the PC with them, when he got them to attack). If I don't want something like that in my setting, no, if it's added mid game, I'd have want an explanation, and make townspeople say "That ain't natural, it ain't right." and if they know how it was made, be cautious to buy it, though the PC doesn't have to tell.

6. - Top - End - #36

Do they want to grow actual animals, or just the meat, or similar?

I'd probably allow the lesser, as a normal craft check (so, earning money, I suppose) from (maybe) Craft: Alchemy. The latter, I might allow, but not quite so easily.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

No way would I allow it. It's just ridiculous and stupid.
    Test tubes, in a medieval fantasy game? That doesn't make sense and sounds wrong.
    Bah!

By the D&D 3.5 rules we have:

A level 1 character. With infinite power.

Infinite action loop on a level 5+ crusader.

The ability to point at a Wall of Force spell and make it go away. Without magic.

Tippyverse.

And Eberron.

You can create Iron Man if you want. 3.5 is not what it's supposed to be. Look past the lies, and see Fabricate. See Craft (Underwater Basketweaving). See the self-resetting Create Water traps.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2012-07-28 at 09:39 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, may I be the first to point out that a regular glass vial would also work just as well?
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    It would depend on the campaign setting. In a sci-fi game, sure. But in a pseudo-medival world, no such genetic knowledge exists. They could do it magically, but in this case it would not be a craft skill, it would be a spell. So no, I would not allow it.
    ^ This

I just don't see how growing animals via scientific method functions in a typical fantasy world. Some of the simplest tools needed would be a hypodermic needle and a microscope and as far as I know here's not really a viable alternative for those in most settings.
    "The icy cold fingers of reason have choked the life out of this thread and despite all logic it keeps squirming", nope, it's dead.

"Occasionally I'd just like someone to quote me in their signature"
    -Invader

Epic threads with awesome revelations.

Awesome Avatar by Kymme!

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

And don't forget the term "test tube animal" is kind of a misnomer. They aren't literally growing a cow in a big glass tube. They remove an egg and sperm and fertilize them outside of the body and then place the fertilized egg back inside the uterus.

Can you explain a method in which the PC would be able to accomplish this?
    "The icy cold fingers of reason have choked the life out of this thread and despite all logic it keeps squirming", nope, it's dead.

-Invader

Awesome Avatar by Kymme!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know why it has to be achievable without magic; alchemy sets a precedent for magical crafting. The setting's more the stumbling block.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by eggs View Post
    I don't know why it has to be achievable without magic; alchemy sets a precedent for magical crafting. The setting's more the stumbling block.
    Alchemy doesn't give you magical effects, Brew potion does.

-Invader

Awesome Avatar by Kymme!

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

The results aren't magical but the process is implied to be (a sorcerer can do it, but an expert can't). That's the same impression I'm getting from the OP's situation.
    Last edited by eggs; 2012-07-29 at 01:26 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by eggs View Post
    The results aren't magical but the process is implied to be (a sorcerer can do it, but an expert can't). That's the same impression I'm getting from the OP's situation.
    How do you figure the process of alchemy is anything other the alchemical?

-Invader

Awesome Avatar by Kymme!

15. - Top - End - #45
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by invaderk2 View Post
    How do you figure the process of alchemy is anything other the alchemical?
    Because for some confounded reason Craft (Alchemy) REQUIRES you to be a caster to craft anything, implying it takes magical knowledge to do it.
    Gnomish Decker by me! You can find more of my work here!!! Also, my Tumblr, if you're into that
    Spoiler
    Show
    You fell for my firewall, chummer
    The data highways are infinite and I've info left to tread

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

I think that the does it fit in your campaign world question is a good one. It seems like most people who say "no its stupid" have campaign worlds where it is very pseudo-medival-y and the people who think it would be okay think that
    as Eldan put it:
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Really, in a world where casters can stop time, go for a cup of tea in heaven in the afternoon, talk to gods, summon rainbow coloured flying snakes, clone themselves, build golems out of stained glass and demon parts and create new worlds that are made out of rubber and prone to earthquakes, what is so bad about someone creating a chicken with alchemy?
    They want to grow actual animals, not meat.

The method for making the animal would be somewhat magical, it would be more than growing animals via scientific method.

@invaderk2: I can't really explain the method which the PC would be able to accomplish this. I think that it is meant to be somewhat unclear and magic-y.

@ Gnomish Wanderer: I think that the point of it is humor and so that if your donkey gets killed while your in a dungeon you could spend a few days growing a new one and then taking the treasure away on the test-tube donkey instead of going back to town, buying a donkey, going back to the dungeon and then taking the treasure away on the normal donkey.

@Eldan: Could I sig "I'd call a Donkey a complex item"?

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomish Wanderer View Post
    Because for some confounded reason Craft (Alchemy) REQUIRES you to be a caster to craft anything, implying it takes magical knowledge to do it.
    Yes it requires magical knowledge, it doesn't make the things you craft magical in any way. Whatever you craft is still a mundane object, it doesn't get infused with magical properties.

-Invader

Awesome Avatar by Kymme!

18. - Top - End - #48
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by invaderk2 View Post
    Yes it requires magical knowledge, it doesn't make the things you craft magical in any way. Whatever you craft is still a mundane object, it doesn't get infused with magical properties.
    I agree it may be magic, though it ends up being a mundane chicken, though it is created through alchemy. Making it fall under a magic item creation feat would make it so nobody would take it, you lose a bit of EXP, for a creature that won't help much, and it takes a feat.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

You might use one of the weaker bags of tricks as a balancing point to figure out price.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GnomeGninjas View Post
    Hypothetically A PC wants to take Craft (livestock). Not breeding animals, but growing them in test tubes and things like that.

Would you allow it?
    Would you never allow it?
    In what circumstances would it be acceptable?

The character in question would be a some what insane magic user.
    I'd probably just inform them that creating crazy abnormal creatures is standard magical training(see also, the duckbunny). Thus, knowledge(arcana) will cover this.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GnomeGninjas View Post
    @Eldan: Could I sig "I'd call a Donkey a complex item"?
    Feel free.
    Resident Vancian Apologist