New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Older D&D systems questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    That's looking at it through a modern lens. I would phrase it as follows:

Also, keep in mind that the role-play is what primarily differentiated characters. If you had two fighters, for example, they would play very differently, because we are basically testing the problem-solving abilities of the players. That's why you don't need to rely on mechanics to differentiate them.

I don't think we are in disagreement; we're just looking at it from different directions.

Ah, yes. RP is the main force driving the game for me too. I was explicitly pointing out the lack of mechanical variety for the younger lads .

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Given all the pole arms in AD&D, at least some mechanical differentiation could be achieved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

IIRC 1E had quite a power up with UA (which also had that lovely picture of all those pole arms)
    Yeah - pole-arms were big in AD&D, well for Gary anyway.

I do recall that I used my 1E monster manuals throughout the 2E period, the systems were that similar. Though there was the embarrassing incident when the part killed Orcus, 66 HP, really ! I should have bumped that.

I also recall that OD&D stopped at level 6, and the spell lists were still quite small.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    I also recall that OD&D stopped at level 6, and the spell lists were still quite small.
    Sixth for MUs, and 5th for Clerics. They were bumped to the familiar 9th and 7th respectively when the Greyhawk supplement was released. Additional spells were added as well with the supplements.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Given all the pole arms in AD&D, at least some mechanical differentiation could be achieved.

If you were playing battlesystems (a poorly received figurine game that was introduced alongside AD&D, I think first but maybe 2nd ed) pole arms reached two spots. Also in both games someone using a pole arm can attack from behind a barrier (where it's reasonable) and from behind another character.

The Spear Advantage (attacking from behind another character) is actually pretty big for the characters that can take advantage of it.

Edit: oh oh oh! Set to receive charge as well, if you have a pole arm you can set up to do double damage if charged.
    Last edited by Toofey; 2012-09-29 at 07:26 AM.
    Big Ups to Vrythas for making my Avi!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    It's worth remembering that D&D's roots are in miniatures gaming. The desired differentiation was in how the figures looked, not what happened with die rolls.

In The Strategic Review #2 (precursor to The Dragon), Gygax had an article on polearms that included a page and a half on how they worked in the middle ages. Gameplay was not mentioned except by references in the second and last paragraphs, mentioning the attached attack table for Chainmail.

We assumed that he just liked how they looked.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think that's a good bet since every book he's worked on has multiple drawings of pole arms. I've always thought that was awesome.
    Big Ups to Vrythas for making my Avi!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    We assumed that he just liked how they looked.
    Naturally. Polearms tend to have a very nice aesthetic, and given how underrepresented they are everywhere else in fiction somebody had to appreciate them properly and showcase a few of them.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    As in Chainmail?

So if thats as Original d&d what do you call the basic dungeons and dragons box set?
    The most active online community that plays that edition refers to it as "classic" D&D, which covers the Holmes B/X boxed sets, the BECMI series of boxed sets, and the rules cyclopedia. The differences between these are almost negligible; you'll find bigger discrepancies within each of these 'editions' due to proof-reading errors.
    Last edited by Ashtagon; 2012-10-02 at 04:03 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Toofey View Post
    I think that's a good bet since every book he's worked on has multiple drawings of pole arms. I've always thought that was awesome.
    Gygax LOVED to talk about polearms. In fact he wrote several articles in Dragon on that very subject in addition to what you find in books.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

I wrote a song about this once, a very long time ago.
    I can't remember much of it, except the chorus line which was
    "Gary and his Glaive-Guisarme", repeated a couple of times.
    I leave recreating this as an exercise.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook