New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Theories on Belkar's death

So, I as thinking hard about this and I was able to come up with three possible theories as to how Belkar will meet his end. I'll list them from most likely to least likely.

Very likely theory: Belkar will die while everyone's fighting Xykon. He'll go down like a badass and repeatedly taunt the lich even while he's clearly hanging on to his last few threads of life.

Likely theory: Belkar's death will be sudden and anticlimactic. To quote TV Tropes, Rich will Drop a Bridge on Him.

Unlikely theory: Belkar will die during an act of redemption, such as sacrificing himself to save his friends (Ha!) or Mr. Scruffy. Oh, and he'll admit he loves Vaarsuvius. (Just a joke!)

What are everyone else's theories about Belkar's death?
    (>^.^)> (>^.^<) <(^.^<) <(^.^)> v(^.^)^

Poyo!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Theories on Belkar's death

My guess is that the cause will be the Linear Guild, Redcloak, a Draketooth trap, collapsing pyramid, exploding Gate, and/or Vaarsuvius, with Mr. Scruffy being involved in some way. Xykon already killed THE main character, I don't think he needs to kill another.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

So it's unbelievably unlikely for him to die in a big fight, but without the "going down like a badass" facet? I don't think he'll go down in a blaze of glory. I just think hell go down. I don't count that as anticlimactic either.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    So it's unbelievably unlikely for him to die in a big fight, but without the "going down like a badass" facet?
    Inconceivable. Belkar's fans can accept his death, but it should fill the "shoeless god of war" theme. I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I don't think he'll go down in a blaze of glory. I just think hell go down.
    I know the missing ' was mystaped, but it's funny.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I have two theories about it.

1) Belkar time travels back into the past, where he discovers the secret of making pineapples explode. He then lives his life as Baron Pineapple. Mr Scruffy is still his companion. He lives a long life before finally dying of old age this (in comic) year.

2) Redemption, and a new start. "Belkar is dead, from this moment I am ... Rakleb"
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

IMHO it is highly likely Belkar will go down fighting, in an apparent glorious and redeeming death.

How Belkar perceives his own motivations for the choice is the bigger question. Roy will surely be gobsmacked, no matter what.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

He'll go down to Chancellor Kilkil, becouse so far he's been the least threataning of all the Kabolds hired by the Linear Guild. Furthermore he will kill Belkar in a way that makes him look like a smartass and will totally be unfair in Belkar's eyes. Maybe leading him into a pit trap and tossing grenades down after him, then AoO'ing him every time he tries to jump out of the hole, smacking him back down into said hole.

Of course I know nothing of DnD and Rich is known for twisting our expectations. However I doubt he can split the hair that divides "Climatic" and "Anticlimatic".

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I just want to see him die, in any way. The sooner the better.

My guess is that he will die trying to horribly kill an utterly harmless Kilkil.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Queen View Post
    So, I as thinking hard about this and I was able to come up with three possible theories as to how Belkar will meet his end. I'll list them from most likely to least likely.

Very likely theory: Belkar will die while everyone's fighting Xykon. He'll go down like a badass and repeatedly taunt the lich even while he's clearly hanging on to his last few threads of life.

Likely theory: Belkar's death will be sudden and anticlimactic. To quote TV Tropes, Rich will Drop a Bridge on Him.

Unlikely theory: Belkar will die during an act of redemption, such as sacrificing himself to save his friends (Ha!) or Mr. Scruffy. Oh, and he'll admit he loves Vaarsuvius. (Just a joke!)
    I'm firmly of the opinion that if Belkar's death was dramatic in either direction, the story would have been better served by not warning us. All of the Oracle's predictions would only have served to undermine one of the comic's most impactful moments.

However, if the manner of death is "unworthy" then all the warning we've had is creating drama rather than lessening it. Since the audience has already accepted the death then we don't need a significant ending to justify it.
    I don't actually play D&D. I do play:

Magic: the Gathering Online (with FREE tournaments at Gatherling)
    DC Universe, my surprisingly good CoH replacement
    Planetside 2, MMO-meets-FPS (and the first shooter I've liked in ages).
    Simunomics - a massive multiplayer Business Simulation Game. Browser-based, free to play.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amarsir View Post
    Since the audience has already accepted the death
    Don't I wish.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    I have two theories about it.

1) Belkar time travels back into the past, where he discovers the secret of making pineapples explode. He then lives his life as Baron Pineapple. Mr Scruffy is still his companion. He lives a long life before finally dying of old age this (in comic) year.
    Oh man, that was... that was incredible.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

For it to be Belkar's final death, he must either not want to return or cannot return, due to many reason such as the one V mentioned when he was speaking on belkar's behalf.

I'm going to go with most people that it will be a glorious redeeming death that he is happy with. I hope that a cheesy no return effect will not happen, and it will be his choice to not return.
    "In life, he who has the most games Wins!"

78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.The players had been attending the travelling circus for their own reasons, ie employment or enjoyment, when the oversized insects turned on their handlers and started attacking the crowd. The players slew the animals and formed Big Top INC.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I agree with the KilKil theory. Belkar has a long running gag with the kobold race and it would be fitting if his luck finally ran out with one of them. KilKil looks like the most harmless and intelligent kobold so far, which would be dramatically different from his previous kobold foes. Not to mention that his name sounds an awful lot like "kill kill".

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silvos4422 View Post
    For it to be Belkar's final death, he must either not want to return or cannot return, due to many reason such as the one V mentioned when he was speaking on belkar's behalf.
    How about, there's nobody willing to raise him?
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Yes, that is a possiblity, but unless something extremely drastic occurs I see no reason Durkon would not do it himself, or if unavailable, Roy would pay to have someone else do it.

I would even possibly consider Taquin having Malak bringing him back because he relatively good at fighting and can easily be controlled through trickery, something Tarquin is really good at. But that may be a little far fetched.
    "In life, he who has the most games Wins!"

78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.The players had been attending the travelling circus for their own reasons, ie employment or enjoyment, when the oversized insects turned on their handlers and started attacking the crowd. The players slew the animals and formed Big Top INC.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I think they would raise him as long as the threat of the snarl looms.
    Once they take care of that they would leave him dead

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by skaddix View Post
    I think they would raise him as long as the threat of the snarl looms.
    Once they take care of that they would leave him dead
    But from the sound of what Roy said, it looks like he'd be perfectly willing to leave him dead once Belkar dies.

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm a fan of "Kill-kill" having an indirect hand in Dropping a Bridge on Belkar, or something of the sort.

I wouldn't be so surprised...
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Given that all speculations are equally unlikely, the best reason to continue is to come up with the most awesome unlikely speculation.
    Yes, well done. I think we're done here.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I see three possible scenarios:

1) Roy uses Belkar as cannon fodder against the big villiains (as he was planning to do at the ending of DStP). Belkar plays along as part of his "fake teamworking" strategy (without noticing that he is being used as cannon fodder), dies, and Roy (who has never bought Belkar's ploy) just leaves his corpse rotting away.

2) Belkar goes BSOD because someone is threatening to kill/has killed his cat, and gets killed. Roy refuses to acknowledge that Belkar has died while following a somewhat noble sentiment, and leaves his corpse rotting away.

3) Belkar genuinely has become less evil and more symphatetic, puts himself in danger for the welfare of the party in good faith, dies because of it, and Roy still refuses to believe Belkar is any less than the same evil psychotic bastard that he has always been, and leaves his corpse rotting away.

Those three theories can be summarized as two:

1) Belkar fakes, and dies for trying to fake. The tragedy being that his ploy to fake character development was stupid as no one was going to buy it, and he would have survived if he had not faked.

2) Belkar converts, and still dies. The tragedy being that a last-minute character development isn't enough to cover for a life full of maniac murdering.
    Last edited by The Pilgrim; 2012-07-29 at 06:03 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

V is taken over by the Three Fiends, and Disintegrates/Gust of Winds Belkar because he's in the way.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    I see three possible scenarios... /snip - Basically, Roy leaves his body rotting away.
    Or - Durkon and Belkar die at the same time, which makes resurrecting Belkar impossible.
    Thank you Ceika for the wonderful Avatar avatar!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

I think thematically, Belkar dead would be one of these two:

He rushes into action to save someone, and realizes what an stupid he is being just a little too late to avoid being killed. A bit like when he set the Allosaurus free. So he does have a redeming death of sorts, and it fits with his developement.

OR he goes down willingly figting to death a major villain, maybe because Mr Scruffy was killed? There could be some magnificent taunts in there. But would Rich kill a cat?

Of course, the Giant has ten thousand times the imagiation I have, so who knows. Also, the obvious way would be being snarled (no coming that for that).

I like the idea of a controlled V killing him, too. Although it would be more heartbreaking if a controlled V killed Durkon (who we know will return to the dwarven lands posthumously)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I think there's only one character with the ruthlessness, strength of will, and more importantly, the irony level required to kill the Belkster for real:

Mr Scruffy.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show
    He takes an arrow to the knee!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

At this point, I'm pretty confident that Belkar's death is at the end of this story (per the time frame in #666 and
    Spoiler
    Show
    the teaser at the end of DStP that someone dies in the next book
    ). Judging by how long DStP was (approximately 200 strips) and where it ends (#672), this story-arc more than likely wraps up within the 20-30 strips. In other words, Very Soon.

So Belkar dies in the fight, right? Well, not so fast. Comic #572 implies Belkar won't recover. However, pretty much anything that happens to Belkar could be reversed. Even Disintegration can be cured by Resurrection, which we know Durkon knows (#664). So short being Soul-Trapped or something similar, Belkar could be revived.

However, there's another readily available option: Belkar goes through Girard's Gate. Even though the Snarl didn't appear over Azure City (#545), anything tossed through it is effectively and utterly gone. He wouldn't necessarily be Unmade; it could be through Belkar we get a glimpse of the World in the World. It may even be outside the knowledge of the gods (DStP: Round 9 Commentary), explaining why the Oracle wouldn't be able to tell. Given that they're near Girard's Gate right now, it's very possible for things to move that direction (V likely finds it).

So that's my theory - Belkar in some way, shape, or form goes through Girard's Gate, in the next 20-30 comics, and that's the end of this arc. Personally, I think he goes through alive.
    Last edited by LightPhoenix; 2012-07-29 at 10:53 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

This one's easy! Xykon will kick Mr. Scruffy mercilessly just to show off what an EVIL BADASS he is. Then he'll casually own Belkar just to show off what a STRONG BADASS he is (worf effect). Then with Durkon dead as well after the showdown, Malack will first try "ressurecting" Belkar, only to turn him into a ghoul. The order, not wanting the same thing to happen to Durkon, decide to send his body back to Dwarven lands (or some other place that doesn't worship a goddess of death).

Elan will also find out he is a walrus. Haley will bluff him back to believing he is human again.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    Elan will also find out he is a walrus...
    And, of course, proceeds to perform "I am the Walrus" , annoying Tarquin and Nale long enough for Xykon to show up and wipe the floor with them.
    Last edited by The Pilgrim; 2012-07-30 at 06:17 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tcrudisi View Post
    Or - Durkon and Belkar die at the same time, which makes resurrecting Belkar impossible.
    Going by Roy's and Haley's conversation, I think it's really, really unlikely that they would make any attempt to resurrect him, even if Durkon's alive and they stumble on a chamber full of 10,000 gold piece diamonds.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    Going by Roy's and Haley's conversation, I think it's really, really unlikely that they would make any attempt to resurrect him, even if Durkon's alive and they stumble on a chamber full of 10,000 gold piece diamonds.
    Haley would probably take all the diamonds for herself and Elan. She does owe herself "one big-ass diamond" after all.

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!