New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Researching Cleric Spells

I have a question about how Durkon researched Mass Death Ward, and new spells can be researched by classes who get spells from deity. Hopefully the Giant will give us his thoughts. If not, it is still something interesting to talk about.

We know that neither Thor or his Cleric angels recognized the spell, which while they might mistake for his accent, have no problem recognizing when Durkon casts and asks for different spells. Which means it isn't his accent, but not knowing or being aware of the spell.

Which raises the question of that if Durkon did perfect the theory of the spell, did he have to commune with Thor or one of Thor's angels to share research and ask for the spell to be admitted into the list of spells Thor will allow his clerics to cast?

Additionally, since clerics ask for spells at the beginning of the day, how could Durkon have a spell, faulty though it was, prepared as Thor and his servants would not have recognized the spell to grant it in the first place. Well... rule of funny probably is the answer to that.

So... how hard must it be to ask a God to accept a particular spell to be prayed for. And since clerical spells can be researched, what is preventing enterprising clerics from submitting arcane spells to a God to be a spell that can be prayed for?

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Researching Cleric Spells

The biggest restriction on submitting Arcane spells is probably the cost to research them. Aside from cantrips, which I can't imagine being something you'd want to use, the cost seems to be at least 1,000 GP for a first level spell, assuming you get it right the first time.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

This isn't really something that's well covered by the rules of the game. It's pretty much down to however the DM (or the Author in this case) wants it to work.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Raineh Daze View Post
    The biggest restriction on submitting Arcane spells is probably the cost to research them. Aside from cantrips, which I can't imagine being something you'd want to use, the cost seems to be at least 1,000 GP for a first level spell, assuming you get it right the first time.
    Huh. So I was looking at the SRD and found this little ditty at the bottom of the page that says, "A divine spellcaster also can research a spell independently, much as an arcane spellcaster can. Only the creator of such a spell can prepare and cast it, unless he decides to share it with others."

So apparently arcane and divine spells are much closer than I thought. The only difference being that Divine Spell Casters have a greater range of spells to chose from. (And from where they obtain such spells)

So I guess it is as the DM Guide says, 1,000gp a week and would require a number of weeks equal to the spell's level.

So I withdraw my questions.