New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Southern Americas in the Playground (from Mexico all the way down!)

Quote Originally Posted by bluewind95 View Post
    Where are you from, Aurenthal? ()

Thinking now of Costa Rica, I remembered that a lot of people have totally the wrong idea about what cities are like in Mexico. I've had people ASTOUNDED that I know what a supermarket is, and that people here travel in cars and that we have big buildings and malls and a lot of the products sold in the US. Heck, they were surprised I had INTERNET, and not dial-up and that I don't have to travel to the US to get a computer or laptop.

Somehow people thought it's all just like the "pueblos" they see in Hollywood movies. They thought it's just a bunch of old little houses, with dirt roads and that people travel by donkey or horse. And the internet is all, at best, dial-up...

Has anyone else come across these stereotypes?
    Luckily, in Cuernavaca, we have so many american tourists... wait, let me rephrase that. We have so many tourists, that it's not frequent for me to see such stereotypes.

Though, admittedly, I've seen a few who wonder why I'm a white-skinned boy with long-ish hair, glasses, and jeans, instead of their original idea that I was a dark-skinned boy with short hair, moustache, a poncho and sombrero, and sleeping under a cactus or something.
    Last edited by Crimmy : Tomorrow at 26:72 DM.

Spoiler
    Show

Iron Avatarist has gone on hiatus. Give me your feedback, please
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #62
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

Where are you from, Aurenthal? ()

Thinking now of Costa Rica, I remembered that a lot of people have totally the wrong idea about what cities are like in Mexico. I've had people ASTOUNDED that I know what a supermarket is, and that people here travel in cars and that we have big buildings and malls and a lot of the products sold in the US. Heck, they were surprised I had INTERNET, and not dial-up and that I don't have to travel to the US to get a computer or laptop.

Somehow people thought it's all just like the "pueblos" they see in Hollywood movies. They thought it's just a bunch of old little houses, with dirt roads and that people travel by donkey or horse. And the internet is all, at best, dial-up...

Has anyone else come across these stereotypes?
    Yeah, my brother was asked once whether he was being serious about us using cars and buses to get to school, instead of donkeys. <.<

The thing is, Hollywood is awful to other countries. They always make them look so stereotypical, that people start to believe they're true.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimmy View Post
    Though, admittedly, I've seen a few who wonder why I'm a white-skinned boy with long-ish hair, glasses, and jeans, instead of their original idea that I was a dark-skinned boy with short hair, moustache, a poncho and sombrero, and sleeping under a cactus or something.
    Blonde, blue-eyed here. No one ever believes me when I say I'm from Mexico. ._.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

I don't think I was surprised to see fancy resorts in Belize, but I was astounded to learn none of the natives have ever heard of snow. I live in Washington state, so that little fact just blew my mind.

"Who hasn't heard of snow? The people who live in a country with 90 degrees Fahrenheit constant!"

Anyways, Belize did have dirt roads, and one major highway. They get so many hurricanes every year that they just build temporary homes and roads, let the hurricanes make their annual run, and rebuild. It's kind of depressing, but they're so used to it that they don't care. Very rarely will their homes actually be destroyed beyond repair, so at least there's that.

Oh, and they're the friendliest people I've ever met. Five minutes with one, and they're practically a sibling. I'm serious.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    Oh, and they're the friendliest people I've ever met. Five minutes with one, and they're practically a sibling. I'm serious.
    You should come to Brazil, then. We as a people are so friendly people have been researching to figure out why.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Carnivale. That's all.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Carnivale. That's all.
    Carnaval is pretty cool no matter where in the world you are, but there's three places in the world where I want to go to celebrate it, and one of them is Rio de Janeiro.

'mjust sayin'.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2012-08-19 at 04:44 AM.
    YouTube channel:

The Asobimashow thread |Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

7. - Top - End - #67
    Barbarian in the Playground

Oh hi!
    Greetings from Venezuela!
    Extended sig
    It's not a Paladin it's a Crusader
    Bloody Screens
    : Bringing realism to Videogames since someone had the idea
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #68
    Banned

smile Re: Southern Americas in the Playground (from Mexico all the way down!)

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Carnaval is pretty cool no matter where in the world you are, but there's three places in the world where I want to go to celebrate it, and one of them is Rio de Janeiro.

'mjust sayin'.
    If you do come for carnaval eventually, you can stay in my place, if you want, dude. It's not big, but we get visitors all the time and it seems to work.
    I've lost count of how many japanese have slept in my couch

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    Oh hi!
    Greetings from Venezuela!
    Welcome, Luka!

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Just noticed this topic.

Anyway, saludos desde Mexico....or greetings or whatever.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Hola Luka, DaOldeWolf. Nice to see more faces here.

@Thiago: Japanese for the Carnaval? Nice. I can't think of any kind of festivity here that attracts tourists from such a distance.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    If you do come for carnaval eventually, you can stay in my place, if you want, dude. It's not big, but we get visitors all the time and it seems to work.
    I've lost count of how many japanese have slept in my couch
    Oh, you're actually from Rio? Everytime I meet a Brazilian on the internet I presume because of Brazil's size that they're never from there. xD
    YouTube channel:

The Asobimashow thread |Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

12. - Top - End - #72
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Oh, you're actually from Rio? Everytime I meet a Brazilian on the internet I presume because of Brazil's size that they're never from there. xD
    Yeah, I'm from Rio.

Japanese for the Carnaval? Nice. I can't think of any kind of festivity here that attracts tourists from such a distance.
    We do get people from all over the world from carnaval, but I tend to meet many japanese because both me and my fiancee studied Japanese at college for a while. Since the university is very near to my home, plenty japanese people tend to hang around.

And DaOldeWolf... welcome!

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

Hola DaOldeWolf. Nice to see more faces here.
    Thanks. Nice to meet you too.

And DaOldeWolf... welcome!
    Its a pleasure meeting you.
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

@crimmy: .... I just spent about 10 minutes wondering if we had a big celebration that brought tourist; but I can't think of anything.

@DaOldeWolf: Welcome to the thread!! It is always nice to see new people.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

I mean, we bring all kinds of americans (meaning America the continent) to our beaches. But... one big event that brings people from all over the world? I don't think there's one.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    @crimmy: .... I just spent about 10 minutes wondering if we had a big celebration that brought tourist; but I can't think of anything.
    What about the Dia de Los Muertos (my Spanish sucks, sorry if this is wrong) parade?

17. - Top - End - #77

I mean, we bring all kinds of americans (meaning America the continent) to our beaches. But... one big event that brings people from all over the world? I don't think there's one.
    No, I don't think there is one. We need to organize a Convention or something like that...

What about the Dia de Los Muertos (my Spanish sucks, sorry if this is wrong) parade?
    They're nice, but I don't think they really attract tourism. Early November isn't the best vacation season.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Nope, Dia de los Muertos does not attract as many people, to be honest. Don't worry about your spanish, I recently worked with a brazillian artist... I think her name is Barbara Tercia, and she had an interesting "My Spanish sucks" spanish.

Also, we definitely need a convention of sorts... What can we do? Beer Run?

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

A beer run convention? Where do I sign up?
    Just call me Dusk

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

DaOldeWolf: Welcome to the thread!! It is always nice to see new people.
    Thanks. Its a great meeting you too.

It isnt even celebrated everywhere in Mexico like in Chihuahua, Chihuahua (a place I used to live in while I was younger).
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Frankly, for Dia de los Muertos, I only have seen schools really "celebrate" it. I think World of Warcraft makes a bigger deal out of it than we do here. But it's an interesting tradition.

22. - Top - End - #82

Rural communities celebrate it as even more important than Christmas. In cities like ours, however, it's less prevalent, and you only ever see it in elementary schools.

I haven't even had the day off from school since Freshman year of High School.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Banned

Frankly, for Dia de los Muertos, I only have seen schools really "celebrate" it. I think World of Warcraft makes a bigger deal out of it than we do here. But it's an interesting tradition.
    I only know about it from Spider-Man 2099, where they treated it like a big deal.
    But then again, maybe it's going to be a big deal in 2099!

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Well my old highschool does makes a great deal of it, every group must make an "ofrenda" to someone, even of he/she wasn't mexican. It was pretty awesome on 2010 I managed to convince my group to do one for Gary Gixax .

And there is the UNAM megaofrenda... so while not big in the attract buge amounts of tourists it is still kind of big.

And really Haruki? Still up to last year I had the day off for Día de Muertos... Haven't checked out my new school calendar year; but I assuming I ll have them.
    Just call me Dusk

25. - Top - End - #85

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Well my old highschool does makes a great deal of it, every group must make an "ofrenda" to someone, even of he/she wasn't mexican. It was pretty awesome on 2010 I managed to convince my group to do one for Gary Gixax .

And there is the UNAM megaofrenda... so while not big in the attract buge amounts of tourists it is still kind of big.

And really Haruki? Still up to last year I had the day off for Día de Muertos... Haven't checked out my new school calendar year; but I assuming I ll have them.
    Some schools still do it, especially the religious ones. Non-religious schools usually don't give them... but I might be wrong. I haven't had it for a really long time, though.

Of course, I moved to the US last year, so I'll likely never have that day off from school again. I traded it in for Thanksgiving.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

The only thing I care about Dia de Muertos is the candy. Buy enough and you can get kids into the back of your van. I just love the chocolate offered that day.

Still, it just seems to have lost its magic thanks to the power of commercialization.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Once more, that depends on the zone. Cuernavaca still has a lot of cool things. And don't get me started on Ocotepec. Man, that's one hell of a Dia de Muertos celebration. You get to meet americans of all kinds. People from Phoenix, from Salvador, et cetera.

It's too awesome to describe.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Well in Costa Rica we have no "big" celebration, but still it's greatly visited because of the beaches and we have no army so... Costa Rica es lo mejor
    Welcome to the Internet where opinions are facts and sources don't matter!
    I GOT A 4

29. - Top - End - #89
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Indeed.

I whence from the southern part of crazy Brazil and have been around here for... quite a bit, but I don't post too much anymore.
    LGBT in the playground - banner by Doihaveaname?.
    Thanks to Ceika, Dihan, Happy Turtle, Reicaden and Haruki for the avatars.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

O.O

It's Smee! Yay!