New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Science Fantasy Dungeon Crawl-ideas please?

Hello forums lurkers and posters! I'm looking to create a dungeon crawl possibly in a crashed space vessel like Expedition to Barrier Peaks or City of the Gods for my pathfinder group traveling Golarion. While I'd rather not re-purpose these to dungeon crawls I'd love something to toss at my players and make them think and work for their resources. I'd love to toss technology at my players as well, if you have suggestions for tech I'd love to hear it. Also what kind of challenges should I do? What skills would be good things to say 'this might be helpful.'

does anyone have ideas of how to make such a crawl? Possibly even the inhabitants of the vessel's wreckage?

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Science Fantasy Dungeon Crawl-ideas please?

I like the usage of Aberrations, I'd look at the Manual of the Planes and Planar Handbook for ship layouts.

I'd go for a living ship that is mixed with arcana to navigate it (lots of Runes and stuff like the Illumians and Warforged) to get that Sci-Fi feel. I'd have it be Mindflayers running the ship that landed/crashed?

The excerpt from Heroes of Horror always make me want to do this:

Mind fl ayers have become as corrupt and decadent as they are evil and scheming. They have focused their development on the powers of the mind for so many generations that they have lost the ability to feel the extremes of physical stimuli. Thus, they turn toward the “lesser” races as sources of sensation.

Imagine the PCs enter an underground cavern. The noise is deafening, the room echoing with endless cries. Across the floor of the cavern, dozens of humanoids engage in an orgy of sex, sadism, self-mutilation, unarmed combat, murder, and every combination of the above. The fl oor is slick with blood, sweat, and other unpleasant substances; the stench of blood and fear is overpowering. And hovering in the air above the screaming, suffering slaves are three illithids, tentacles writhing in ecstasy as they absorb every thrill of sensation from the hapless crowd of thralls below.

So I'd go with the ship landing and these guys experimenting on a nearby village, or they crashed and a group from a town went to explore the place and was captured.
    I am what lurks under your bridge, I am the troll...

Not sure about what I said, go back highlight it with your mouse and wham it's magically blue for sarcasm, so like everything on the internet take it with a grain of salt.

Spoiler: IC Trophies
    Show
    LIV Silver Auric Goldbones
    LVII Bronze Adlib

3. - Top - End - #3

Spell Jammer has some good stuff, this looks like a good one, Illithid Dreadnought

They also have tons of stuff on stats for 3e stuff, which should translate over with some work, or at least get you off in the right foot.
    I am what lurks under your bridge, I am the troll...

Not sure about what I said, go back highlight it with your mouse and wham it's magically blue for sarcasm, so like everything on the internet take it with a grain of salt.

Spoiler: IC Trophies
    Show
    LIV Silver Auric Goldbones
    LVII Bronze Adlib

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Well, WotC actually did revisit the Temple of the Frog in the 3.5 era: Return to the Temple of the Frog.

There's another downloadable adventure involving spaceships: Vessel of Stars.

Other than that, yeah, you'll want to dig around for some 3.0 Spelljammer stuff... it got a mini-update in Polyhedron #151, and you might find some Spelljammer floorplans if you dig around the WotC website.

If there just aren't enough space pirate brainsuckers in your game, then of course there's the Flow of Fresh Brains, the Web Enhancement for Lords of Madness.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

You can take a look at Dungeions: The Dragoning for some good scifi ideas of technoology and enemies. I odnt have the likn to it but I think just typing the name in will work.

6. - Top - End - #6

EvilClericGuy

Interesting! I like how someone suggested Return to Temple of the Frog, I actually have a pathfinder group on pause from a Blackmoor game, they were involved in investigating tech and weird mutations and mutants and Coot activity. Its a fun campaign, might post my conversion stuff eventually.

While I love the illithid I'm running pathfinder system, Illithid don't exist in Golarion. Also Spelljammers dont exist in the Golarion system, they approached void dwelling ships as a mixed bag of goodies. Tombships from Eox pioleted by undead bone sages, Verces Aetherships that seem to be sentient and the people of Verces live in a caste system where Augments get magitech augmentations, Vessels are divine casters, and theirs the regular caste of people who do this and that. Other ways of transport in the system are teleportation magic, bioships/space whales, and some have other ways of traveling the stars.

If you know the pathfinder systems main setting Golarion you might know Numeria as the massive wasteland filled with space wreckage that still has some parts intact. The biggest is Silvermount, a mountain made of sky metal filled with catacombs explored by the Technic League, tainted arcanist who drink hallucinatory fluids that give them weird powers and they obsess over technology from Silvermount. I'm trying to make a good dungeon crawl with sci-fi elements to make a Technic Adept based adventure, if the crawl goes good they might get to move into bigger 'dungeons' and get more resources and technology.

7. - Top - End - #7

EvilClericGuy

Well was hoping this thread would pop up but I guess I'll have to dredge it up then.

I'm still looking for ideas for sci-fi dungeons, just please no Mindflayers or Spelljammers. I'm all good with aberrations and everything just not good with Spelljamming, my games do have physics and other sciences in them ranging from super science to alchemy, I've even tossed a nuclear reactor at one point in when my party got teleported to a demiplane where a group of Blackmoor 'pure strains' were attempting to rebuild society after Blackmoor went BOOM!

What I'm asking for are ideas for technology and dungeons over all, something like Expedition to the Barrier Peaks or City of the Gods.

Anyone have ideas? I'd be interested in hearing any ideas out there. I know a lot of people hate mixing technology and fantasy like i'm looking for.