Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 1504
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Rockphed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Near Giant Graffiti.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    Schlock mercenary, the daily comic about the misadventures of Tagon's Toughs, a valiant band of mercenaries. Currently, they have experienced their highest real death rate in the history of the comic. Schlock, our amorphous blob of a main character, asked if he could have their stuff. Tagon is not amused.

    Also, there is an artificial planet that is probably doomed to karmic destruction because of a perfect wedding. And a lot of Gavmogres one head wound away from becoming UNS killing machines. Oh, the horror.

    Previous thread here.
    Comic here
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

    Now offering unsolicited advice.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    Ah, can't beat that new thread smell...

    Notice how Schlock is holding on to the sides of the panel in today's strip? There's certainly nothing there in "real life" to hold on to...

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    Been awhile since the old fourth wall has been damaged.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Been awhile since the old fourth wall has been damaged.
    Gee, you're right. Been nearly a week since Kevyn manhandled it.
    ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    Quote Originally Posted by ChowGuy View Post
    Gee, you're right. Been nearly a week since Kevyn manhandled it.
    Hey, they use to smash holes in it all the time in the old days.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Hey, they use to smash holes in it all the time in the old days.
    With bells whistles and lampshades on it. In contrast, grabbing hold of the frame isn't even breaking it so much as a routine signature bit of Howard's style. There's no direct comment or acknowledgement by the [/i]characters[/i] that they're in a comic, or even by the narrator. Just by the artist, and he's allowed to know that.
    ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ravens_cry's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    Yeah, it has toned down a little.
    Maybe it's just because I started reading after a truly massive archive binge, but there also seems to be fewer footnotes these days either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Gnoman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    Well, most of the footnotes were put into expanding and explaining the universe. Now that it's much more established, there's less need.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ravens_cry's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Well, most of the footnotes were put into expanding and explaining the universe. Now that it's much more established, there's less need.
    That is probably true, but it's still nice to hear that what appears at first glance to be ripe technobabble actually has a well thought out and possibly even plausible explanation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    So, C-Gas. Have we run into this before? If not, any guesses as to what it does?

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    So, C-Gas. Have we run into this before? If not, any guesses as to what it does?
    I do believe you're looking for the Girl Genius thread...

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Rockphed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Near Giant Graffiti.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    In Schlock news, how often have we suggested just killing all their employers?
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

    Now offering unsolicited advice.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    Quote Originally Posted by wkz View Post
    I do believe you're looking for the Girl Genius thread...
    I do believe you're right, and I was actually a little puzzled my post wasn't there...d'oh!

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    In Schlock news, how often have we suggested just killing all their employers?
    In this case, one of the employers is starting to wonder if it would not be too bad idea.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    In Schlock news, how often have we suggested just killing all their employers?
    In this case, one of the employers is starting to wonder if it would not be too bad idea.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Gnoman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    Is that particular Gav one of their employers? I honestly can't remember.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Is that particular Gav one of their employers? I honestly can't remember.
    They were hired by Gavcorps, of which the Oisri project is a subset, not by the project members themselves. At a guess, I' assume this particular Ga is the ambassador to the fleetmind who arrived with the barrel of "instant amorph." If that's the case, then he's also the Gav who originally offered them the job on Parnassus Dom. So, "from a certain point of view" yes, he's one of their employers, or a a minimum, their employer's official representative. However, that's not to say that he's authorized to approve them liquidated Gavcorps assets. Or, ya'know, Gavcorps members.
    Last edited by ChowGuy; 2012-08-03 at 05:56 PM.
    ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Rockphed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Near Giant Graffiti.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    Quote Originally Posted by ChowGuy View Post
    They were hired by Gavcorps, of which the Oisri project is a subset, not by the project members themselves. At a guess, I' assume this particular Ga is the ambassador to the fleetmind who arrived with the barrel of "instant amorph." If that's the case, then he's also the Gav who originally offered them the job on Parnassus Dom. So, "from a certain point of view" yes, he's one of their employers, or a a minimum, their employer's official representative. However, that's not to say that he's authorized to approve them liquidated Gavcorps assets. Or, ya'know, Gavcorps members.
    There is a third option: removing all the nanites from the Gavmogres. Somehow, I doubt the Gavmogres will approve.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

    Now offering unsolicited advice.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Gnoman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    Quote Originally Posted by ChowGuy View Post
    They were hired by Gavcorps, of which the Oisri project is a subset, not by the project members themselves. At a guess, I' assume this particular Ga is the ambassador to the fleetmind who arrived with the barrel of "instant amorph." If that's the case, then he's also the Gav who originally offered them the job on Parnassus Dom. So, "from a certain point of view" yes, he's one of their employers, or a a minimum, their employer's official representative. However, that's not to say that he's authorized to approve them liquidated Gavcorps assets. Or, ya'know, Gavcorps members.
    Next strip rendered the question moot anyway, but thanks.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Knaight's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    In Schlock news, how often have we suggested just killing all their employers?
    Quite a bit, though if we remove the period where they were technically working for Xinchub this goes down significantly.
    Fudge Assistant in the Playground.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Rockphed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Near Giant Graffiti.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Quite a bit, though if we remove the period where they were technically working for Xinchub this goes down significantly.
    Ah, King Xinchub the Prandial. How could I forget his ooziness.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

    Now offering unsolicited advice.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    Ouch. I'm guessing Thurl figured out that Ventura is a UNS operative at the worst possible time.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    Why is he wearing his old uniform, though? Is it because the new ones were made by Tailor, who has also been interfered with by Ventura?

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2007

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    Or Thurl could have been a UNS plant all along. It really could go either way at this point. He could be three steps ahead of the rest of the company like he sometimes is, but there's also no shortage of ways for the UNS to suborn a guy like him.

    Since there are two factions at play in the UNS right now, it's entirely possible that both Ventura and Thurl are plants from rival factions as well, and Thurl is taking action to expose his new counterpart.

    At least we know he probably was not infected. He wouldn't be wearing a uniform at all if he were.
    Last edited by Imgran; 2012-08-12 at 02:05 AM.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Midnight Lurker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The City, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    FINALLY Thurl gets it. Finally SOMEONE gets it.

    Para has had you all fooled for YEARS.
    The Evil Midnight Lurker what Lurks at Midnight
    "An object at rest -- CANNOT BE STOPPED!!!!!"

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    While Para has cleary been an agent for someone, she also has done nothing to harm the unit and has at times used her special resources to help the unit. (Para is likely an ally of one of the Tough's kids) She almost certainly stopped all the Gavs from being taken over and made into super soldiers.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Midnight Lurker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The City, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    While Para has cleary been an agent for someone, she also has done nothing to harm the unit and has at times used her special resources to help the unit. (Para is likely an ally of one of the Tough's kids) She almost certainly stopped all the Gavs from being taken over and made into super soldiers.
    SHE MURDERED TAG.

    He wasn't "breaking down." He had an ethical crisis and decided to resign. It wasn't until Para hacked into him that he "shut down," and she could replace him with her own minion.

    The fact that nearly all of you have taken her explanation as gospel while completely ignoring what we were actually shown onscreen FILLS ME WITH WHITE HOT RAGE.
    The Evil Midnight Lurker what Lurks at Midnight
    "An object at rest -- CANNOT BE STOPPED!!!!!"

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    I think you REALLY need to calm down Lurker. Yelling at people is more often a sign that a person is wrong then that they are right.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2007

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Lurker View Post
    SHE MURDERED TAG.

    He wasn't "breaking down." He had an ethical crisis and decided to resign. It wasn't until Para hacked into him that he "shut down," and she could replace him with her own minion.

    The fact that nearly all of you have taken her explanation as gospel while completely ignoring what we were actually shown onscreen FILLS ME WITH WHITE HOT RAGE.
    Captain's orders. DOB'T forget that bit. Tagon ordered Ventura to get TAG working, and he was refusing to do so for no technologically justifiable reason So Ventura fixed the problem.

    Sure, she did it with all the finesse of a neutronium sledgehammer, but it was on the Captain's orders.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Midnight Lurker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The City, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    Quote Originally Posted by Imgran View Post
    Captain's orders. DOB'T forget that bit. Tagon ordered Ventura to get TAG working, and he was refusing to do so for no technologically justifiable reason So Ventura fixed the problem.

    Sure, she did it with all the finesse of a neutronium sledgehammer, but it was on the Captain's orders.
    I'm not happy about Tagon there either.
    The Evil Midnight Lurker what Lurks at Midnight
    "An object at rest -- CANNOT BE STOPPED!!!!!"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •