New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    Last two pages aren't looking too good for the hostage.
    Yeah, barring a miracle, she's very, very dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

2. - Top - End - #302
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Yeah, barring a miracle, she's very, very dead.
    The note seems to suggest that she's probably more likely to be maimed in a way that they can fix later so long as she hasn't gotten any of active nannies inside of her or something else untoward, like, whatever reason it was for why she didn't transform.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

3. - Top - End - #303
    Bugbear in the Playground

It might make sense for her to be IntAff's second plant. She could have blood nannies that counter the RedHack, which would explain why she didn't turn.
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

4. - Top - End - #304

BlackDragon

It's possible the hostage was behind the line of Gavmogres who just spat nannies into the room. It would be slightly odd storytelling for her to survive, not turn, and then get roasted by the plasma discharge.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Schlock is no longer in his armor. Don't you think the former hostage might be inside it now?

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Schlock is no longer in his armor. Don't you think the former hostage might be inside it now?
    I think it's more likely that Shlock switched out of his armor (he seems to be able to deploy the suit in a matter of seconds, do stowing it away is likely similarly swift) because it doesn't look like it's built for a close combat brawl, which is what this is rapidly going to descend into.

Also, remember, something else had Danita terrified- It's quite possible she saw the Gavmogre assault coming up behind Tagon and Co., so she wouldn't have been inside the plasma bath at all.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    I think it's more likely that Shlock switched out of his armor (he seems to be able to deploy the suit in a matter of seconds, do stowing it away is likely similarly swift) because it doesn't look like it's built for a close combat brawl, which is what this is rapidly going to descend into.

Also, remember, something else had Danita terrified- It's quite possible she saw the Gavmogre assault coming up behind Tagon and Co., so she wouldn't have been inside the plasma bath at all.
    OR she was freaking out about the shot striking an inch away from her head. She's a civilian, captured by murderous super-soldiers who were previously her friends, and about to be rescued by power-armored mercenaries. It won't take a lot to freak her out.
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

She needs to survive so Targon can get paid for protecting the instalation and its personel from murderous invaders :P
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ettin in the Playground

Huh. I just assumed she was on a guy they encountered earlier, and that the rest were much farther behind.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

Questions about Danita answered and not in a nice way. Wow, that's bad.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

11. - Top - End - #311

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by teratorn View Post
    Questions about Danita answered and not in a nice way. Wow, that's bad.
    Considering the people who were like, She's dead, Jim... I guess she can't feel pain from it all because her nerves got cooked off?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

12. - Top - End - #312

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Considering the people who were like, She's dead, Jim... I guess she can't feel pain from it all because her nerves got cooked off?
    Correct. Third- and fourth-degree burns destroy the nerve endings, leaving no sensation of pain. She probably feels numb all over with some minor pain on her back (which likely wasn't cooked as badly). It looks like she held her breath, so her lungs, vocal cords, and tongue are fine.

NSFL: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_degree_burn#By_depth

Also, this probably means that her retroencephaloderm will fail. If the skin is the storage site for the brain backup, she doesn't have much left to back up from. RED is probably designed with this in mind, but her brain seems to be intact. She's also in the hands of the most capable field medic within a hundred kilometers. She'll pull through.
    Last edited by Thomar_of_Uointer; 2012-11-16 at 10:55 PM.
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ettin in the Playground

This is far from the worst injury that we've seen people brought back from. Do any of the Toughs have the body that they started with anymore?

14. - Top - End - #314
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    This is far from the worst injury that we've seen people brought back from. Do any of the Toughs have the body that they started with anymore?
    Some of them have most of it. Does that count?
    Truth resists simplicity.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Firbolg in the Playground

Not the ones that were part of the original crew. The newer recruits still do though.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Thomar_of_Uointer View Post
    Correct. Third- and fourth-degree burns destroy the nerve endings, leaving no sensation of pain. She probably feels numb all over with some minor pain on her back (which likely wasn't cooked as badly). It looks like she held her breath, so her lungs, vocal cords, and tongue are fine.

NSFL: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_degree_burn#By_depth

Also, this probably means that her retroencephaloderm will fail. If the skin is the storage site for the brain backup, she doesn't have much left to back up from. RED is probably designed with this in mind, but her brain seems to be intact. She's also in the hands of the most capable field medic within a hundred kilometers. She'll pull through.
    Wait, there's such a thing as fourth-degree burns?

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ettin in the Playground

I think Schlock's was the last one to go.

Anyways, I think Spritskin is a skin treatment for extreme burns. Or rather, I don't know what else it could be.
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2012-11-17 at 02:50 AM.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

18. - Top - End - #318

Isn't one of the major issues with burn victims that they are very susceptible to infection? I assume Spiritskin is stuff to put on people who don't have good skin integrity.

And if they can get out, Danita will be fine. Eventually. I foresee her having a long bit of physical therapy and more psychological therapy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spritskin sounds like something you use when the patient's skin is either missing or heavily damaged; a "skin-graft in a bottle" so to speak.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

20. - Top - End - #320

I should wonder how they plan to restore her, quickly considering the Magical Medkit, then remembering that this was confiscated and processed into the achievement of Project Lazarus, which is the very thing we are currently witnessing.

Schlock Mercenary really knows how to put the "X" in "Xcalation"

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

Are we sure she's human? The black holes where her eyes used to be makes it look likes there's nothing inside her skull.

22. - Top - End - #322

Yeah, modern day, those sorts of burns aren't survivable. Actually, I'm amazed she isn't dead already - a combination of shock, trauma, and pretty much all the liquid in her body boiling should have been fairly fatal.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

In schlockverse, if your brain is alive (and hers appears to be), they can clone a new body to put it in.If you die, they can cut off your head and stick you in a nannie bag for later.
    [/Center]

24. - Top - End - #324

That they could bring her back with demonstrated tech, I don't doubt. That she's actually capable of standing or, indeed, coherent thought at the moment is rather surprising.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

25. - Top - End - #325

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Wait, there's such a thing as fourth-degree burns?
    First aid classes don't teach you about it because fourth-degree burns damage the bone and require amputation. To a first responder there's practically no difference between third- and fourth-degree.
    Last edited by Thomar_of_Uointer; 2012-11-17 at 01:25 PM.
    I make games.

26. - Top - End - #326

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    Are we sure she's human? The black holes where her eyes used to be makes it look likes there's nothing inside her skull.
    That's just the art style. Mind you, I wouldn't expect to see much in there anyway--the eye orbits are almost entirely enclosed in bone, and presumably that bone is still intact or else she'd have suffered severe brain damage!

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

Given medical tech seen so far, given that she is still talking, I would say she is going to be fine.
    One thing that does feel surprising is that that considering her eyes got destroyed optic nerves and all, I am surprised the extreme heat she would have been exposed to didn't denature the proteins of her head noodle, literally poaching her brain. It can happen during extremely high fevers.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2012-11-17 at 03:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

28. - Top - End - #328
    Troll in the Playground

I am operating under the assumption that Schlock just did a rapid sweep with his weapon set to as wide a spread as possible, and thus there wasn't enough free protons to make it beyond surface damage. Not medically trained enough to know if that's even possible.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

I'd point out that there was discussion about this in the page where he made that sweep. It specifically called out unarmored Humans surviving it, though they would need severe medical help.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    I'd point out that there was discussion about this in the page where he made that sweep. It specifically called out unarmored Humans surviving it, though they would need severe medical help.
    And she had some armor, Enough for an emergency helmet anyway, although that's probably just a standard precaution when on a planet with no atmosphere, even if you don't expect to be leaving your nice, cozy, pressurized station.
    [/Center]