New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

Furthermore, at that point she wasn't insane, so she was presumably reluctant to act too aggressively towards the people she nominally owed allegiance to.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

2. - Top - End - #452
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

Man, I've just reread the Tagon Family's dark secret...

.... so depressing again...

3. - Top - End - #453
    Titan in the Playground

He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

4. - Top - End - #454
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

And I already said I don't believe that answer. Para said that the only way to stop Thurl would have been to use lethal force, but Tagii's control of the ship's gravitics appears to be much finer than that...unless you're suggesting she learned how to use them *better* by being locked away for the virtual equivalent of millions of years?

Anyway, we'll find out what happens soon enough, the latest page says that this storyline wraps up on December 31st. Doesn't seem very long to resolve all the current plot threads, but we'll see!

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ogre in the Playground

Notice she mentions "[in] that room?" Meaning I assume that using gravvy in the AI's room is a Bad Idea for some reason or another.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Yeah, Para's comment strongly implies there's something about that *particular* room that makes such finesse measures impossible. My guess would be that projecting gravy through there would damage or disrupt some delicate AI circuits, which is not a concern elsewhere on the ship because all of those circuits are in the one spot.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

7. - Top - End - #457
    Titan in the Playground

Dammit, I liked Tagii. She didn't deserve this, nobody diserves this!
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

8. - Top - End - #458
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    Yeah, Para's comment strongly implies there's something about that *particular* room that makes such finesse measures impossible. My guess would be that projecting gravy through there would damage or disrupt some delicate AI circuits, which is not a concern elsewhere on the ship because all of those circuits are in the one spot.
    I'm guessing the answer is much simpler than that. The reason the AI can't use gravitics or other weapons in the AI control center is meant to enable the crew to dismantle a malfunctioning AI. The engineers who build these ships are not morons. They could foresee the very likely possibility that a rebellious AI would use its weapons to protect itself against its crew. So they crippled the AI to prevent it from protecting itself that way.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    I'm guessing the answer is much simpler than that. The reason the AI can't use gravitics or other weapons in the AI control center is meant to enable the crew to dismantle a malfunctioning AI. The engineers who build these ships are not morons. They could foresee the very likely possibility that a rebellious AI would use its weapons to protect itself against its crew. So they crippled the AI to prevent it from protecting itself that way.
    That would make a lot of sense. There's no point in putting yourself totally in the power of your AI if you don't have to, after all.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #460

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    They could foresee the very likely possibility that a rebellious AI would use its weapons to protect itself against its crew. So they crippled the AI to prevent it from protecting itself that way.
    I like the theory, but it only explains away half of what Para said--she clearly implied that Tagii *could* have stopped Thurl by using lethal force in that room; if that wasn't gravy, what was it?

Mind you, I have a theory for how they'll resolve the Tagii situation:

Spoiler
    Show

I think Thurl already told us how--when he explained to Kevyn how the processor and system busses were split, he said that "a rogue process can't bypass prioritisation". Presumably that means they can somehow use prioritisation to shut down the rogue Tagii process and get things back to a semblance of normality.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Mind you, I have a theory for how they'll resolve the Tagii situation:

Spoiler
    Show

I think Thurl already told us how--when he explained to Kevyn how the processor and system busses were split, he said that "a rogue process can't bypass prioritisation". Presumably that means they can somehow use prioritisation to shut down the rogue Tagii process and get things back to a semblance of normality.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am not an AI expert, but that sounds more like a preventing a repeat of Petey's ghost trauma measure than an oh god the AI went feral measure.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Ogre in the Playground

Honestly, the UNS's comments provided what is the likely route out of this situation.

Spoiler
    Show
    "Hey, they have a really good AI. What say we take it?"
    "No, we want them all dead."
    "What if their TAD goes down and we can 'port the core out?"
    "Sure, why not. Just be quick about it."

13. - Top - End - #463
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    Honestly, the UNS's comments provided what is the likely route out of this situation.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    I suspect he was referring to the Toughs in general, not their AI.
    Last edited by NEO|Phyte; 2012-12-15 at 08:36 PM.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I suspect he was referring to the Toughs in general, not their AI.
    As I stated earlier, I think that they want to "pick the Toughs' brains" about what Petey did to them after he reverted their memories.
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

15. - Top - End - #465
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    That would be hilarious. I hope it happens.
    "Simon Ten Broek loves to draw attention;
    Simon Ten Broek spent years in bleak detention;
    Simon Ten Broek, with crimes too vile to mention;
    Simon Ten Broek won't live to see his pension."

10:07 PM [Matthias] And the Kohr-Ah are all "GIT THEM DUKE BOYS!"

16. - Top - End - #466
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well. That answer's that question, I suppose...
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TaRix View Post
    Given that Osiri's got some impressive gravitics, might this be a Pa'anuri artifact? A Pa'anuri prison (either one made by baryonic folks or otherwise)?
    Wow, fancy that. A whole lotta gravity keeping in a gravity-beastie, encased in a big box saying "Don't open this thing" in any/every conceivable manner.

At least the galaxy knows how to fight the things off. The Morokweng might not end up like the Tunguska.

18. - Top - End - #468

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by TaRix View Post
    At least the galaxy knows how to fight the things off. The Morokweng might not end up like the Tunguska.
    The *Fleetmind* knows how to fight the Pa'anuri...we have no evidence that random ships which are not part of the Fleetmind know how to do this. In fact, the evidence seems to be fairly heavily that everyone else leaves Petey and his friends alone and carries on with their usual internal squabbling.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Barbarian in the Playground

Wow. That looks to have been a pretty good guess. You weren't alone there, though, that's what I was thinking. (I just hadn't voiced it. Really.)

What I'm confused about is where it came from; AFAIK, that looks like the Pa'anuri came out of the annie plant that powered the research team's base. Not the actual Osiri artifact. (Incidentally, I'm assuming that the annie plant got wrecked due to the gravity fluctuations caused by Osiri.)(D'oh. Right, Pa'anuri ate/screwed with it.)

But back to the point, what was the Pa'anuri doing inside the non-ancient-artifact annie plant?
    Last edited by Kane; 2012-12-16 at 03:59 AM.
    "Simon Ten Broek loves to draw attention;
    Simon Ten Broek spent years in bleak detention;
    Simon Ten Broek, with crimes too vile to mention;
    Simon Ten Broek won't live to see his pension."

10:07 PM [Matthias] And the Kohr-Ah are all "GIT THEM DUKE BOYS!"

20. - Top - End - #470
    Titan in the Playground

But back to the point, what was the Pa'anuri doing inside the non-ancient-artifact annie plant?
    What do you think the annie plant was powering? it was a gravety prison for dark matter.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ogre in the Playground

I think Tagii just used it as a massive bomb to punch through the planetoid's crust so that the prisoner could get out sooner.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Troll in the Playground

Interesting to see what happens here. Since Howard has stated that this is going to wrap up in another 15 days, there isn't a lot of wiggle room, especially considering how many loose ends need to be tied up.

Based on how little time is left, it sounds like the Morokweng is going down. Does anyone else think so?

And how is the General Tagon/Ms. Flinders part going to be taken to completion in just two weeks, along with everything else?
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #473
    Troll in the Playground

What I'm confused about is where it came from; AFAIK, that looks like the Pa'anuri came out of the annie plant that powered the research team's base. Not the actual Osiri artifact.
    Because of the orange halo left by the neutronium explosion, it gives the impression of comming from the annie plant but I'm prettty sure it actualy comes from under, inside Osiri. When Osiri energy was shut down, The Pa'anuri pierced through Osisri ice and as it did so, it went for the most 'interesting' spot that registred on it's gravittic senses to do so, aka the one where the annie plant topside was located.

The *Fleetmind* knows how to fight the Pa'anuri...we have no evidence that random ships which are not part of the Fleetmind know how to do this
    Didn't they shared some of the info from Ai to AI on a massive scalefirst ? In fact, if memory serves, that's pretty much how they started the fleetmind in the first place. and not every AI that was in the fleetmind stayed (see Enesby for example)

There are a few different factor that what happened witht the Tenguska tho, Kweng is bigger, has a chance of identyfying what he's fighting, and this Pa'anuri might be different (for one thing it was in a gravitic prison, there's probably a reason for that ? maybe it's bigger and meaner ?).

Of course even if kweng know what it is, I doubt he would have remotely enough power to fight it (the fleet mind has to use either huge ships or big numbers as far as we've seen so far). So best bet here would be to port bravely away (if the big bad black matter monster leave him even the time for that. Likely not)
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

24. - Top - End - #474
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by smuchmuch View Post
    Didn't they shared some of the info from Ai to AI on a massive scalefirst ? In fact, if memory serves, that's pretty much how they started the fleetmind in the first place. and not every AI that was in the fleetmind stayed (see Enesby for example)
    As far as I recall, the only AIs that did not stay with the Fleetmind were Ennesby and Haban 2. At least they were the only ones featured on-screen. Luckily, during "The Body Politic" story arc, Kweng had a good deal of brain-on-brain time with both of them before re-writing their memories to protect the UNS secrets... Maybe he picked up some tips on how to fight this thing.
    "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "What's the worst thing that could happen?"
    - Maxim 14 of the Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries. From Schlock Mercenary by Howard Tayler.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

The question(s) I want answered is why was that thing "in prison". Whoever build Osiri certainly had the tech that would kill the dark matter beasties. Maybe this Pa'anuri is different and can't be killed like the other ones. Or maybe the other Pa'anuri locked this one up for some reason rather than kill it.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    The question(s) I want answered is why was that thing "in prison". Whoever build Osiri certainly had the tech that would kill the dark matter beasties. Maybe this Pa'anuri is different and can't be killed like the other ones. Or maybe the other Pa'anuri locked this one up for some reason rather than kill it.
    Assuming Osiri doesn't get destroyed in the upcoming charlie foxtrot, the information is likely transcribed on the surface once those nanobots finish gathering it (assuming the recent gravity spike didn't break them).
    Swoop Falcon

27. - Top - End - #477
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    Assuming Osiri doesn't get destroyed in the upcoming charlie foxtrot, the information is likely transcribed on the surface once those nanobots finish gathering it (assuming the recent gravity spike didn't break them).
    Oh you poor, naive fool.

28. - Top - End - #478

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    Since Howard has stated that this is going to wrap up in another 15 days, there isn't a lot of wiggle room, especially considering how many loose ends need to be tied up.
    And how is the General Tagon/Ms. Flinders part going to be taken to completion in just two weeks, along with everything else?
    I guess they will be there for the start of the next episode.
    Maybe going inside one of the UNS-factions

I'm still wondering how the UNS got their info about Oisiris in the first place, and the idea it would be a weapon ?
    Last edited by hajo; 2012-12-16 at 04:01 PM.
    -HaJo

FLW: Oh, no. We're being rescued. How embarrassing!

29. - Top - End - #479
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hajo View Post
    I'm still wondering how the UNS got their info about Oisiris in the first place, and the idea it would be a weapon ?
    For starters, Gavs got their regeneration nannies from UNS, so intel source is quite obvious - they slipped a hack in the equipment alongside the Pseudowalski one.

Any source of power is a weapon and Oisri is (or rather was) an annie plant of unimaginable proportions with equally big power output. There was also enough evidence, that it was equiped with gravitic control.
    Last edited by Radar; 2012-12-16 at 04:44 PM.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

30. - Top - End - #480

RedWizardGuy

Well, since we saw that enough kinectic/gravity can kill Schlock, he probably is out of any plan to retake the AI room. My bet is:

Spoiler
    Show
    Ennesby will dupe Tagii with a simulation of the interior of the ship, while alowing Tagii to act against external menaces. His background, beyond hacking and frauding expertise, includes his past as an entertainer, and his usual extensive library of media. Yes, Tagii was smarter, but as a tactical AI. Not even Petey who has near infinite processing capability is impervious to being surprised, as Kevin has demonstrated a lot of times. And if Ennesby was in Tagii position, he probably wouldn't go crazy.

Also, we have to take in consideration the brand new Teraport Cages, a kind of tech developed by Kevin that the Toughs possibly have almost monopoly, and whose effects are still untested in the Pa'anury. Maybe it can act as some kind of extruder?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Now you have me picturing someone using a Pretentious Fantasy Sword of Destiny for mundane tasks.

"It is called Chirodin, Blade of Eternity! It was forged in the heart of the sun by the god Dathir, using the moon as a hammer and the corpse of Turtaris, Mother of All Dragons, as an anvil. No physical barrier can divert its blow, for it always goes exactly where its wielder wills it. So, as you can imagine, it cuts simply amazing flank steaks!"