New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 51 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

Quote Originally Posted by Slayn82 View Post
    Well, since we saw that enough kinectic/gravity can kill Schlock, he probably is out of any plan to retake the AI room. My bet is:

Spoiler
    Show
    Ennesby will dupe Tagii with a simulation of the interior of the ship, while alowing Tagii to act against external menaces. His background, beyond hacking and frauding expertise, includes his past as an entertainer, and his usual extensive library of media. Yes, Tagii was smarter, but as a tactical AI. Not even Petey who has near infinite processing capability is impervious to being surprised, as Kevin has demonstrated a lot of times. And if Ennesby was in Tagii position, he probably wouldn't go crazy.

Also, we have to take in consideration the brand new Teraport Cages, a kind of tech developed by Kevin that the Toughs possibly have almost monopoly, and whose effects are still untested in the Pa'anury. Maybe it can act as some kind of extruder?
    Kinetic/Gravy can scatter and blind Schlock.

Schlock splattered out over a very cold surface for how ever long it takes to find a bomb tech and make sure none of Schlock's arsenal is going to explode while you scoop him up will kill Schlock.

Which is to say, Tagii probably can't "Kill" schlock with gravy alone, but she could take him out for an indefinite period of time. You just need to splatter him into pieces that are small enough to have no sense of self, then separate those pieces. once you've got Schlock spread out over a bunch of jars, you can just let them sit there. Or throw them into a convenient star.

Schlock's fall didn't kill him so much as the cold at the bottom did.
    Of course, if Schlock dies, Petey can just make a new one.
    Last edited by BRC; 2012-12-16 at 08:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

2. - Top - End - #482
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

Also, anything that would kill an amorph would kill anything else, a lot faster.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Also, anything that would kill an amorph would kill anything else, a lot faster.
    But an Amorph can be scattered by something like a fire hose, which would be nonlethal to most sophonts.

From what I recall about Amorph physiology, with the exception of their eyes (which are technically not part of them) they are just made of "Amorph", which is combined brain, stomach, skin, tongue, nose, ear, and muscle. They tend to stay around the same size (Though they can get bigger right after eating). A smaller chunk of Amorph can remain sentient, but will have lost memories and mental capability. Once you get below a certain critical mass the chunks are non-sentient, but will instinctively attempt to re-combine. Extreme Heat (like plasma) and extreme cold (like the surface of Osiri) can kill them, as can certain chemical cocktails. Otherwise the best you can do is scatter them into non-sentient chunks.
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ettin in the Playground

From what we've seen, the amorph organism is at least as strong as human skin, so it's a stretch to say that you could easily scatter one with a fire hose. In any case, the weapons that can be brought to bear here are certainly more lethal to anyone else than they are to Schlock.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    From what we've seen, the amorph organism is at least as strong as human skin, so it's a stretch to say that you could easily scatter one with a fire hose. In any case, the weapons that can be brought to bear here are certainly more lethal to anyone else than they are to Schlock.
    Actually, we do know that you can scatter one with a fire hose, because that's exactly what Katheryn did during the Haven Hive arc. I would cite my sources but It's finals week and I don't have time.
    Last edited by BRC; 2012-12-16 at 09:44 PM.
    [/Center]

6. - Top - End - #486
    Ettin in the Playground

Forgive my shoddy memory, then.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Troll in the Playground

Part of it also likely depends on how much the amorph is expecting it. Apparently amorphs can be pretty sturdy if they mean to be, considering that Schlock was surprised that Binnie was able to tear chunks out of him during their fight.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    But an Amorph can be scattered by something like a fire hose, which would be nonlethal to most sophonts.
    Non-Lethal but extremely painful. There's a reasons watercanons are/were used to fight riots.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

9. - Top - End - #489
    Troll in the Playground

Well, it's all moot if Kweng destroys them. And at this point, he has no reason not to.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

10. - Top - End - #490
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    Well, it's all moot if Kweng destroys them. And at this point, he has no reason not to.
    Not really, he can't flee nor fight unless Tagii removes her TAD (he needs teraports to beat the dark matter entity). He will be forced to let them go and hope Tagii will do her part of the deal.

They are basically free from Kweng, the problem is surviving the AI.
    Last edited by teratorn; 2012-12-17 at 07:04 AM.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

11. - Top - End - #491
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by teratorn View Post
    Not really, he can't flee nor fight unless Tagii removes her TAD (he needs teraports to beat the dark matter entity). He will be forced to let them go and hope Tagii will do her part of the deal.
    That's not what he's saying in today's strip. He says he has a way of hiding from the Pa'anuri, and if that's true, the Touch-and-Go is in deep trouble since it's carrying the only other major annie-plants in the area.

Can't help but wonder if this is Howard building up to the Toughs getting yet another new ship...maybe Bristlecone will volunteer for the job?

12. - Top - End - #492
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    That's not what he's saying in today's strip. He says he has a way of hiding from the Pa'anuri, and if that's true, the Touch-and-Go is in deep trouble since it's carrying the only other major annie-plants in the area.
    Or 'kweng can be bluffing to get Tagii to drop her TAD...
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Troll in the Playground

They are basically free from Kweng, the problem is surviving the AI.
    Actually, he can fight and explicitly states that he might as well kill Tagii and her ship both out of spite and because he's ordered to do so. At the moment, he has no real reason not to slaughter them.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #494
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, he can fight and explicitly states that he might as well kill Tagii and her ship both out of spite and because he's ordered to do so. At the moment, he has no real reason not to slaughter them.
    I was talking about fighting the dark matter entities, it requires teraports.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

15. - Top - End - #495
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I was talking about fighting the dark matter entities, it requires teraports.
    Or high-density TAD fields.
    [/Center]

16. - Top - End - #496
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

So apparently the answer is 'Ramming Speed'?

17. - Top - End - #497
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    So apparently the answer is 'Ramming Speed'?
    Looks like it. Wonder how well those shields do at plowing through things, since Kweng doesn't have his up at the moment because of the DM beastie.

And now I wonder what's going to happen when that beastie moves through the battleplate.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Orc in the Playground

I don't think ramming something with shields up is terribly effective against a more massive object. One line springs up: "You're trying to deflect the planet, and it's NOT WORKING." Sure, it'll make a dent, but it'd turn out worse for the Touch-and-Go.

I think Tagii's playing matador with TAG as the cape.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by TaRix View Post
    I don't think ramming something with shields up is terribly effective against a more massive object. One line springs up: "You're trying to deflect the planet, and it's NOT WORKING." Sure, it'll make a dent, but it'd turn out worse for the Touch-and-Go.
    Speed is a factor too, though. A bullet is considerably less massive than a human being, but it's still capable of punching a hole through one because it's travelling so fast. Thus, they could do some real damage if they go fast enough!

The other possibility that occurs is that the impact might knock the 'Kweng out of orbit, thus forcing them to fire up their annie plants in order to avoid impact with the ground--and then the Pa'anuri will get them.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Speed is a factor too, though. A bullet is considerably less massive than a human being, but it's still capable of punching a hole through one because it's travelling so fast. Thus, they could do some real damage if they go fast enough!

The other possibility that occurs is that the impact might knock the 'Kweng out of orbit, thus forcing them to fire up their annie plants in order to avoid impact with the ground--and then the Pa'anuri will get them.
    At a guess, your first suggestion is more accurate. Touch And Go, with its shields up, gets to play the bullet to 'kwengs soft-and-yielding-human (Or soft and unshielded warship, as it may be.)

At least that's what I'd guess.
    "Simon Ten Broek loves to draw attention;
    Simon Ten Broek spent years in bleak detention;
    Simon Ten Broek, with crimes too vile to mention;
    Simon Ten Broek won't live to see his pension."

10:07 PM [Matthias] And the Kohr-Ah are all "GIT THEM DUKE BOYS!"

21. - Top - End - #501
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Kane View Post
    At a guess, your first suggestion is more accurate. Touch And Go, with its shields up, gets to play the bullet to 'kwengs soft-and-yielding-human (Or soft and unshielded warship, as it may be.)

At least that's what I'd guess.
    But that does not really help either as the Pa'anuri will destroy the TaG even if they survive the impact. The might be destroyed even before the TaG hits the battleplate.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    But that does not really help either as the Pa'anuri will destroy the TaG even if they survive the impact. The might be destroyed even before the TaG hits the battleplate.
    My guess:

Tagii will power down her Annies after impact and hide inside 'Kweng. She'd be inviting everyone to a boarding party by doing so, but with the Pa'anuri around using power armor or heavy weapons might turn out to be a very bad idea.

Ooh, I like this. Not sure if the TaG has enough oomph to move 'Kweng that much considering the battleplate's mass but it'd be very cool.
    Truth resists simplicity.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Troll in the Playground

Put me down in the "punching through like a bullet through flesh" camp. She's going to plow right through -- there's no way she can move that much mass -- and draw the Paanuri right in after her.

Interesting question -- since the Paanuri seem to be sentient, why do they always immediately attack annie plants? Sure, they're annoying, but is there any reason why they never, say, just leave the area?
    Last edited by Bulldog Psion; 2012-12-18 at 08:46 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #504
    Titan in the Playground

Well, they are at war. Killing the enemy is kinds what you do in that case.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

25. - Top - End - #505
    Troll in the Playground

Acutalysince that one seems to have been traped in Oisiri for some time (at least that seems logical seeing as Oisiri itself is really old) he probaly doesn't even know there's open war between this galaxy and Andromeda

Interesting question -- since the Paanuri seem to be sentient, why do they always immediately attack annie plants? Sure, they're annoying, but is there any reason why they never, say, just leave the area?
    If you're being annoyed by a fly what would you do ? Leave the house and complelty interupt whatever you were doing or just swat the annoying insect ?

It has been said way earlier that Paanuris barely recognize barionic matter being as alive, and even so are pretty much on par with the psycho koalas on the 'respect other species right to exist' thing. You may remember they tried to trick the gatekeeper into blowing the WHOLE galaxy just because terraport annoyed them.
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2012-12-18 at 11:09 AM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

26. - Top - End - #506
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by smuchmuch View Post
    Acutalysince that one seems to have been traped in Oisiri for some time (at least that seems logical seeing as Oisiri itself is really old) he probaly doesn't even know there's open war between this galaxy and Andromeda

If you're being annoyed by a fly what would you do ? Leave the house and complelty interupt whatever you were doing or just swat the annoying insect ?

It has been said way earlier that Paanuris barely recognize barionic matter being as alive, and even so are pretty much on par with the psycho koalas on the 'respect other species right to exist' thing. You may remember they tried to trick the gatekeeper into blowing the WHOLE galaxy just because terraport annoyed them.
    Woah there. Teraport was a threat to their very existence, if I remember right. We weren't a mere nuisance, but a real threat.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by smuchmuch View Post

A better analogy would be a mosquito you know is infected with malaria. It's both annoying and deadly, and best killed as quickly as possible.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    A better analogy would be a mosquito you know is infected with malaria. It's both annoying and deadly, and best killed as quickly as possible.
    And that analogy forms a neat looped reference because of this.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Morokweng is providing the UNS TAD, so if the battleplate is destroyed by either the Touch-and-Go ramming or the Pa'anuri following her in, that leaves Tagii in control of the only TAD in effect in-system. That means she can just 'port out. She doesn't need to be able to resist the Pa'anuri indefinitely; she just needs to outlive Kweng.

Unfortunately for Kweng, the situation is not symmetrical; destroying the Touch-and-Go isn't sufficient to take down the VDA, which is providing the Toughs' TAD, so Kweng can't just kill the Touch-and-Go and 'port out. He'd need to hunt down however many thousand missiles were deployed in the VDA and kill at least the large majority of them, and he doesn't have time to do that before the Pa'anuri gets him.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

The TaG still has to be able to take out Morokweng TAD when it hits. Would not be a surprise if there are redundant systems. It also has to survive impact with the Morokweng. A bullet may damage a brick wall, but the bullet is destroyed in the process.