New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

Yeah, what kind of news this is depends very much on the goals they wanted to achieve and the degree of control they had. If you could make a dark matter entity to order, having one that's friendly to you could be an enormous help.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

2. - Top - End - #602
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

I like to think that it was a 'mind uploading' scenario; they didn't want to continue being in the baryonic sphere, so went to dark matter.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

3. - Top - End - #603
    Ogre in the Playground

Umm I don't think that psychotag hitching a ride with Ennsby is a good thing is it?
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #604
    Bugbear in the Playground

This does not bode well.
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

5. - Top - End - #605

dun dun DUNN!
    ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

6. - Top - End - #606
    Firbolg in the Playground

Wonder why ennsby would go along with it.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

7. - Top - End - #607

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    Wonder why ennsby would go along with it.
    He's compromised, Tagii has been controlling him since she took over the ship. She only kept enough of his personality around to emulate him in conversations (and that metaphorically is represented by Eb having Tagii hiding behind him). This makes perfect sense because Ebbensy's security systems are notoriously flimsy (he has been hacked repeatedly by other AIs).

It's not nearly as intelligent as Tagii from before (Ebbensy doesn't have much of a processor in the maraca, so she's not as smart as she once was). However, she is still crazy and has the stated goal of killing the entire crew.
    Last edited by Thomar_of_Uointer; 2012-12-30 at 10:48 PM.
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

8. - Top - End - #608
    Troll in the Playground

Eeeh, I'm not entirely convinced that Tagii is the one in control here. Mostly because if she was, she's likely still bloodthirsty enough that she'd have vaporized Kevyn's head the moment his manistem was reattached (Unless they removed his mazer capability at some point and I don't remember it). None of the toughs are in the fancy armor and the ship has no AI to stop her. I suppose she may be showing restraint in case they stuff Ennesby back into the ship's AI core once they build a new one, but there's no guarantee that they won't use a backup gestalt that Petey almost certainly has of saneTagii.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

9. - Top - End - #609

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    Eeeh, I'm not entirely convinced that Tagii is the one in control here. Mostly because if she was, she's likely still bloodthirsty enough that she'd have vaporized Kevyn's head the moment his manistem was reattached (Unless they removed his mazer capability at some point and I don't remember it). None of the toughs are in the fancy armor and the ship has no AI to stop her. I suppose she may be showing restraint in case they stuff Ennesby back into the ship's AI core once they build a new one, but there's no guarantee that they won't use a backup gestalt that Petey almost certainly has of saneTagii.
    Her plan is likely to kill all of the Toughs, not just the ones she can kill before someone gets a lucky shot in. She'll wait for an opportunity to kill them all at once, or betray them to their numerous enemies.

EDIT: Though, considering how little processing power there is in the maraca, perhaps she's just holding a knife to Ebennsy's throat and threatening to erase him if he doesn't keep quiet. We'll see in a later story arc, this is all just speculation.
    Last edited by Thomar_of_Uointer; 2012-12-31 at 12:10 AM.
    I make games.

10. - Top - End - #610

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    The mazer capability is a side-effect of him being able to fly/manipulate things.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Even at her Craziest, Tagii mainainted some rationality. Ennesby's Maser isn't the most powerful weapon. Any grunt with a sidearm could take down the Maraca.
    She might kill Kevyn, but then she would die very shortly.
    Last edited by BRC; 2012-12-31 at 01:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

12. - Top - End - #612
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I don't think the image shown (Tagii in the background going "Shhhh!" when Ennesby is asked a question) really indicates that she's in control of the gestalt, although that would then beg the question, why isn't Ennesby telling anyone about his passenger? I don't think there's much danger of Ennesby being given the ship piloting role again, anyway--he's made a hash of it every time they've given it to him.

13. - Top - End - #613

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Even at her Craziest, Tagii mainainted some rationality. Ennesby's Maser isn't the most powerful weapon. Any grunt with a sidearm could take down the Maraca.
    She might kill Kevyn, but then she would die very shortly.
    2 words:

1- Antimatter
    2- Shoulder-nade

14. - Top - End - #614

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    2 words:

1- Antimatter
    2- Shoulder-nade
    Oh, that one's actually pretty clever. Still, I think that Kevyn would have put some fail-safes into his shoulder grenades. At least enough shielding to deflect small-arms fire.
    Last edited by Thomar_of_Uointer; 2012-12-31 at 11:51 AM.
    I make games.

15. - Top - End - #615

You don't need to shoot at the 'nade. Just kill Kevyn right now, and arm the grenade here and there.

Boom, no more ship.

16. - Top - End - #616
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    You don't need to shoot at the 'nade. Just kill Kevyn right now, and arm the grenade here and there.

Boom, no more ship.
    Nah, she wants to really make them suffer. And is now a lot stupider.

I mean, essentially she's gone through, what, a lobotomy squared? Cubed?
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2013-01-01 at 07:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

17. - Top - End - #617
    Troll in the Playground

The question is, would Ennesby hide Tagii's presence for any other reason than being controlled?

If not, then he must be controlled by her, despite his rather dubious look in the frame where she appears.

On the other hand, might he conceal her surviving fragment out of a desire not to get another AI "killed"?

It's kind of difficult to figure out if he's a puppet, being exceptionally merciful, or somewhere in between.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

18. - Top - End - #618
    Troll in the Playground

My theory: Tagii attempted a last minute intrusion of the maraca when the killswitch was engaged, but with the subsequent megalobotimization from losing the ship's processors, she was unable to maintain control. As for why Ennesby is keeping quiet about it, perhaps, like Maury, he doesn't like seeing what Tagii has become, and is going to attempt rehabilitation or something. Hard to say for certain what's going on until we see more of it. Based on how AIscape conversations tend to appear, Tagii's shushing seems to suggest she's not in control, why would she need to urge quiet if she was the one in charge?
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

19. - Top - End - #619
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Another option is Preservation. Tagii dumps a gestalt of her personality into Ennesby's Maraca. If the Toughs knew she was in there, they would probably data-probe both of them into oblivion (you don't want to take chances where insane vengeful AI's are concerned). Ennesby has to keep quiet, because otherwise he's likely to be collateral damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

20. - Top - End - #620
    Ogre in the Playground

So is this the broken wind that gives the name to the arc?

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Of course, unless Ventura is a really common name
    It's not very rare today. A side of my family is called Ventura. It's not one of the most common family names but there is a significant number of venturas of Portuguese, Spanish or Italian ancestry.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

21. - Top - End - #621
    Ogre in the Playground

So nothing about the general's brutal murder of a balloon sophont?
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #622
    Ogre in the Playground

Manslaughter, technically.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

23. - Top - End - #623
    Orc in the Playground

Depends how reckless/careless the general was being when he jumped. Could just be an accident.
    Your ad here! Call 1-800-SELLOUT.

24. - Top - End - #624
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Not dead yet, so at the moment it would something like reckless endangerment.

25. - Top - End - #625
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

It's clearly injured or dying, so wouldn't that be assault?

26. - Top - End - #626
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    It's clearly injured or dying, so wouldn't that be assault?
    Assault implies that you intentional struck another person. If someone looses control of their car and hit you, it's called an accident, not assault, right? Now if they had intentionally hit you, then it would be assault.

27. - Top - End - #627

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    Manslaughter, technically.
    Get Massey over to Mall One, he'll be able to have the baloon countersued for reckless endangerment, criminal negligence, and failure to obey the laws of gravity inertia in a rotating reference frame.

Also, I see this as the start of the mall getting sued. Is anyone betting quatloos that this blows the cover of the squid-clone owner? Or maybe he set this up on purpose.
    Last edited by Thomar_of_Uointer; 2013-01-03 at 02:15 PM.
    I make games.

28. - Top - End - #628

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Assault implies that you intentional struck another person.
    Technically no. Assualt implies you intentionally threatened to to hit or otherwise injure someone. If you then actually hit them it becomes battery. Since Karl never threatened the gasbag, he could be probably be held liable for negligent bagacide unless the mall has specifically posted the area as a licensed Parkata Urbatsu zone with appropriate warnings to watch for falling jumpers (which seems likely since Kath's team were hired specifically to give demonstrations there), in which case Baggie could also be held responsible.

It would be like venturing onto a rugby field in the middle of play, and then complained when someone ran into you.
    Last edited by ChowGuy; 2013-01-03 at 03:01 PM.
    ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

29. - Top - End - #629
    Troll in the Playground

I'm just going to throw out the random, largely unsupported guess that the gasbag is going to be the "questgiver" (or one of several "questgivers") for the new book. Once they prevent him/her/it from dying, of course.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

30. - Top - End - #630
    Troll in the Playground

What do y'all think?
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."