New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

Well, it looks like Tagii was the only thing preventing Third Orleans on Oisrii (sp.) after all. So does that mean that Tagon is going to be up to his ears in zombies in a few minutes?

I thought they needed to be beheaded -- but maybe that isn't the case. Maybe the beheading just triggered the problem early.

Edit: by the way, does anyone else get the impression that Howard Tayler really, really, really enjoys zombie movies?
    Last edited by Bulldog Psion; 2012-09-06 at 09:14 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

Assuming Para is telling the truth, this somewhat confirms the idea of there being multiple UNS factions at play. Para is working for UNS Internal Affairs Intelligence Corps. Which dosn't make sense as the group to go after GAVcorps.

Mind you, it also dosn't make sense as the group to put a deep cover agent inside a mercenary company unless that company is expected to be routinely used by the UNS.

So we have Emm's Group, which is trying to take over Osiri, which para is trying to counter, presumably at the behest of the IAIC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

3. - Top - End - #123
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    Edit: by the way, does anyone else get the impression that Howard Tayler really, really, really enjoys zombie movies?
    Well, he likes zombie stories. I suspect he doesn't like zombie movies. If he did, why would he keep trying to write better ones?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Well, he likes zombie stories. I suspect he doesn't like zombie movies. If he did, why would he keep trying to write better ones?
    Because he is a writer and has pride in his writing abilities. Does he need another reason?
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2012-09-06 at 01:19 PM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Mind you, it also dosn't make sense as the group to put a deep cover agent inside a mercenary company unless that company is expected to be routinely used by the UNS.
    Yeah, gee, it's not like at the time they were in the exclusive employ of them as Independent Contractors. Or that their first assignment as such was intended as a covert attempt to install a "Pro Annexation" faction as the controlling group on Credomar.

Oh wait...
    Last edited by ChowGuy; 2012-09-06 at 03:24 PM.
    ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by ChowGuy View Post
    Yeah, gee, it's not like at the time they were in the exclusive employ of them as Independent Contractors. Or that their first assignment as such was intended as a covert attempt to install a "friendly" faction as the controlling group on Credomar.

Oh wait...
    Here's the problem.

First of all, Para is a brilliant Roboticist who ALSO has espionage training.

Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say that she is older than she looks, moving a brain into a younger body is within the realm of Schlockverse tech. Why they would choose so young a body is a little strange, seeing as it might attract attention, but it's an explanation.

Either way, the UNSIA can't have that many brilliant roboticist spies in their employ, yet they felt it was important to assign one to the Toughs. This indicates they are something of a high priority. If that's her natural body, it's even stranger, since it means they have a prodigy roboticist spy who should be in a lab somewhere building milspec AI's, rather than accidentally creating benevolent monarchs.

Secondly, the issue with Credomar was the Toughs not receiving clear instructions. It would have been easy for the UNS to tell the Toughs to deliver the food to somebody of their choice. Even if the person in question was not a legitimate authority, The Toughs are mercenaries, and part of the problem was that there WAS no legitimate authority on Credomar.

So UNSIA was willing to send their roboticist spy on a mission considered unimportant enough that they couldn't be bothered to give them clear orders.

After that mission, there was no guarantee that the Toughs would be doing anything UNS related for quite some time. They could have run off to hunt space pirates, or picked up a security contract from Petey. They have since run into two operations that fall under UNSIA's purvew: Barsoom Command and the mess on Haven Hive. Para wasn't there for the first one, and it was by pure chance that they got involved with the second. Same with Osiri.

They COULD have assigned Para to a battleplate, where she could keep a close eye on a troublesome Admiral. Instead they pick a mercenary company that just so happens to keep running into shady UNS operations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

7. - Top - End - #127
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Tough's seem to end up to their necks in UNS dirty laundry far more often then chance would make plausible. We the readers know that its because the Malevolent God of the Shlockiverse considers them to be his favorite pawns. But to an in-universe intelligence analyst that would sound absurd and they'd assume that the Tough's must have some deep connection to the otherwise super paranoid shady parts of the UNS to interact with it as often as they do and get out alive repeatedly. Para's job was to find that connection and use it to get intel on a faction that was otherwise nigh impenetrable.
    Last edited by Spamotron; 2012-09-06 at 03:52 PM.

8. - Top - End - #128

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Here's the problem.

First of all, Para is a brilliant Roboticist who ALSO has espionage training
    No, the problem is you've been watching too many James Bond movies. In the real world, you don't send highly trained agents in the field, you recruit "assets" who are either already in place, or can be placed where you need them but can't easily be traced back to you, then give them only as much information as they "need to know." It's entirely reasonable for a talented but rebellious young unknown to think she would have more "fun" working as a spy then chaffing under the UNS command structure.

So UNSIA was willing to send their roboticist spy on a mission considered unimportant enough that they couldn't be bothered to give them clear orders.
    No, they were willing to send her on a [covert] mission that should not have required a heavily armed presence at all, for which the Commodore did not give them written instructions (this having "plausible deniability") because the true intent of it "should have been obvious." Exactly the sort of thing that would raise a red flag with Internal Affairs.

After that mission, there was no guarantee that the Toughs would be doing anything UNS related for quite some time.
    Again, they were under contract to the UNS, who at the time were happily paying for a refit to their ship, then in drydock aboard a UNS battleplate, despite the fact that the UNS (officially) had no responsibility for the damages it sustained. Whatever happened later has nothing to do with the advisability of embedding a plant at the time they did so.

or picked up a security contract from Petey.
    They were deeply on the outs with Petey, and had no mercenary license to work for anyone else any more. And if/when they did run back to Petey, it's not as if anyone (or everyone) in the UNS wouldn't have an interest in getting ears on him as well.
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

9. - Top - End - #129

"Fry 'em like bad hash-browns" is either the best or worst line ever uttered in this comic.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Kevyn, this is the point where you get on the PA system and inform all the Gavs of the security risk, including the fact that it's being propagated through the entertainment feed. Don't waste time on snappy one-liners and get your clients to help with the security.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

11. - Top - End - #131

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Kevyn, this is the point where you get on the PA system and inform all the Gavs of the security risk, including the fact that it's being propagated through the entertainment feed. Don't waste time on snappy one-liners and get your clients to help with the security.
    Remember, he has worked with Gav extensively. He probably knows that if he told them to destroy the consoles they would only hide them more effectively.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait a second... if the killswitch for Para is in her tooth, why not, y'know, REMOVE THE TOOTH? She's already missing one, a second wouldn't be missed that much.

13. - Top - End - #133

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    Wait a second... if the killswitch for Para is in her tooth, why not, y'know, REMOVE THE TOOTH? She's already missing one, a second wouldn't be missed that much.
    Accidental smashing of the tooth? Triggers if removed?
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Remember, he has worked with Gav extensively. He probably knows that if he told them to destroy the consoles they would only hide them more effectively.
    If you tell them that their identities are being overwritten by the TV, with Binnie as incontrovertible proof, I would be very surprised if they decided that doesn't apply to them. Only the Gavs who have already died since Project Redhack came online are now gav/corporal whats-his-face hybrids, which right now is Binnie and the Gavzombies in the Medical Wing. No one else has died, which means everyone else is an unadulterated Gav. (well, internally adulterated Gav. The point is no one else has meddled with their personality yet). Unless they intentionally coded stupidity into themselves as an integral part of their personality, I'm not seeing much of a reason for resistance in this matter.
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

15. - Top - End - #135

If you tell them that their identities are being overwritten by the TV, with Binnie as incontrovertible proof, I would be very surprised if they decided that doesn't apply to them. Only the Gavs who have already died since Project Redhack came online are now gav/corporal whats-his-face hybrids, which right now is Binnie and the Gavzombies in the Medical Wing. No one else has died, which means everyone else is an unadulterated Gav. (well, internally adulterated Gav. The point is no one else has meddled with their personality yet). Unless they intentionally coded stupidity into themselves as an integral part of their personality, I'm not seeing much of a reason for resistance in this matter.
    If the stupidity was there to begin with, you don't have to code it in during the upgrade (i.e. when they went through the can).
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    Well, the first thing is to prevent it from going off while you're studying it and determining whether it can be removed, and if so, how best to remove it.

Sort of like you put the emergency brake on a car and wedges under the wheels when you go to remove a blown tire, rather than just hammering at the bolts immediately while the car is sitting on a slope in neutral.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Binnie isn't proof, though. Binnie is proof, at best, that if you die that happens. The TV stuff is unknown to anyone except those two medical people. Who died. Opps.

Also, if nothing else, the Gav's have shown quite a contrary streak.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    Binnie isn't proof, though. Binnie is proof, at best, that if you die that happens. The TV stuff is unknown to anyone except those two medical people. Who died. Opps.

Also, if nothing else, the Gav's have shown quite a contrary streak.
    "Attention all GavCorps employees! We have discovered a major breach in station security. Should you die, the RED nannies that revive you will replace you with a UNS soldier with lethal nanite-borne weaponry and durable armor-plating. [Clip of Binnie breaking out of quarantine and going on a rampage plays] We believe that it is an external signal that is inducing these changes into the stored RED templates. Please, switch off all items and appliances that receive a signal from off-planet. This includes TVs, Hypernet-based cell phones, etc. A team of Tagon's Toughs will be by momentarily to confirm the successful shutdown of any such devices. Thank you for your cooperation."

Above should be the briefing that Kevyn (or the Security chief whose name escapes me) tells everyone. And Kevyn realizes that the entertainment feed is the only possible vector, otherwise he wouldn't tell Ebby to "fry [the TVs] like bad hashbrowns." And if the Gavs refuse to listen, That is the point where you cut and run.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"This only happens if we die? So as long as we avoid doing that there should be no problem with us watching T.V."

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    "This only happens if we die? So as long as we avoid doing that there should be no problem with us watching T.V."
    Why is it that I can just hear a Gav saying that?

EDIT: This is why the Toughs are coming around with EMP guns.
    Last edited by Landis963; 2012-09-07 at 02:26 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Just don't point those at any vital equipment, like life support infrastructure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

22. - Top - End - #142
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Just don't point those at any vital equipment, like life support infrastructure.
    Or the console that turns off whatever it is that is causing Osiri's gravity to do what it's doing...
    "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "What's the worst thing that could happen?"
    - Maxim 14 of the Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries. From Schlock Mercenary by Howard Tayler.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thalnawr View Post
    Or the console that turns off whatever it is that is causing Osiri's gravity to do what it's doing...
    That big red button should be inside Oisri somewhere, unless the Gavs found it and cloned it into one of their consoles. It'll be just fine until someone decides to set off an EMP somewhere.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

That big red button should be inside Oisri somewhere, unless the Gavs found it and cloned it into one of their consoles. It'll be just fine until someone decides to set off an EMP somewhere.
    Except the tiny little fact, that frying the consol should never ever affect anything - it's not like breaking the keyboard crashes the entire computer.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

It does if it's a normally-on E-stop switch. A lot of systems are designed to cut out if the controls are destroyed.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Huh, and here I thought the Gav foreshadowing was that their "television" use was what was messing up the RED hacking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

27. - Top - End - #147

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    It does if it's a normally-on E-stop switch. A lot of systems are designed to cut out if the controls are destroyed.
    Or an emergency relief valve, or a heater, or oh any number of things. I remember once someone accidentally broke open a control unit in a cryo plant, and a 100 MMCFD of wet gas went up the flare. I didn't get to see it, but I'm told the flame went 200 feet up.
    Last edited by ChowGuy; 2012-09-07 at 07:13 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

What are the odds she doesn't have a poison tooth at all? Doesn't look like something the UNS would do...
    Last edited by teratorn; 2012-09-08 at 02:33 AM.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

29. - Top - End - #149
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by teratorn View Post
    What are the odds she doesn't have a poison tooth at all? Doesn't look like something the UNS would do...
    They're based in part on real world popcultural views of real world and fictional contemporary or recent past governments.

That would easily give enough source material for poison teeth to be a potential thing. Granted, it seems rather uncomplicated compared to their usual stuff.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-09-08 at 10:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

30. - Top - End - #150
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

they'd probably use nannies for other agents, but we're talking about a savant-level roboticist here, they might be forced to use a lower-tech method she can't subvert by herself.