New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

Or they lied to her, there's no tooth, and she's not working for the UNS.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

Kevyn is shortsighted about this. The kinds of people Intaffint want to infiltrate would be paranoid about hypernode bugs and likely have hypernode deadzones where they discuss sensitive information. In Para's particular case she was being posted to a mercenary warship facing a situation where the ship enters a zone of wide spectrum jamming in combat would have to be considered a likely possibility.

I'd like to take credit for the insight but most of the brainsweat thinking it all through occurred as a collaboration between posters on the Nightstar Schlock Mercenary forums.
    Last edited by Spamotron; 2012-09-08 at 02:31 PM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spamotron View Post
    Kevyn is shortsighted about this. The kinds of people Intaffint want to infiltrate would be paranoid about hypernode bugs and likely have hypernode deadzones where they discuss sensitive information. In Para's particular case she was being posted to a mercenary warship facing a situation where the ship enters a zone of wide spectrum jamming in combat would have to be considered a likely possibility.

I'd like to take credit for the insight but most of the brainsweat thinking it all through occurred as a collaboration between posters on the Nightstar Schlock Mercenary forums.
    I suspect targeted jamming, or whatever it means when a hypernode is "off the grid", is different from combat jamming, which IIRC is just sending out enough static to drown out any signals.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by teratorn View Post
    Or they lied to her, there's no tooth, and she's not working for the UNS.
    Or she is working for the UNS, they lied to her, there's no poison in the tooth, and she doesn't know nearly not nearly as much (or is nearly as important) as she'd like she is. Which would mean they were playing right into massive her ego, along with implying they had a way to "keep her in line" if they needed to.

The hypernoded tooth itself could still be there (she'd remember it being implanted) but it's "abjuration only" - a listening device that's doing the real information gathering and reporting.

As Kevyn says, we're leaning about not about her employers, but her relationship to them.
    Last edited by ChowGuy; 2012-09-08 at 04:43 PM.
    ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

OR hypernode jamming is probably not that unusual as a combat tactic. They don't want their deep cover agents dropping dead the moment they enter a jamming field.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

...I'm starting to gain a deep respect for the ingenuity of Para's UNS handlers. At the very least, they are interested in Oisri not just because it is a "big gun," a la the blonde harridan we know and love.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Indeed, whatever Para is involved with seems a lot more subtle than the "use nannies to convert all the Gavs into clones of our troops" sledgehammer being used by the other faction.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

The fact that Para worked on Ennesby's lips gives me hope that they'll be removed. Though it's just a minor detail, I preferred his lipless mode of yore.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Miss Ventura, Kevyn is paid, among other things, to be paranoid. This should not be a surprise to you. Good for trying to parlay that into advantage if you get fired rather than killed, though.
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

One way or another, that spiky basket is ominous. Either Tailor has been subverted and it's dangerous... Or he hasn't, and it's dangerous. More to other people in the latter case.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    One way or another, that spiky basket is ominous. Either Tailor has been subverted and it's dangerous... Or he hasn't, and it's dangerous. More to other people in the latter case.
    Of course it's dangerous, it's going to be awesome battle armor for Schock (finally!). Besides, Schlock has already died once this arc, so that thing's gotta be totally benign to him, and death incarnate to anyone that annoys him sufficiently.
    "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "What's the worst thing that could happen?"
    - Maxim 14 of the Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries. From Schlock Mercenary by Howard Tayler.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ChowGuy View Post
    Or an emergency relief valve, or a heater, or oh any number of things. I remember once someone accidentally broke open a control unit in a cryo plant, and a 100 MMCFD of wet gas went up the flare. I didn't get to see it, but I'm told the flame went 200 feet up.
    I don't want to derail a thread, could I maybe get away with asking for a single follow up post on what all this is? Namely, 'what's a cryo plant in the context of real life,' 'what is MMCFD?!' 'What differentiates 'wet gas' from normal gas?' and 'So...why would cryo gas be flammable?'

Sorry, I just know exactly nothing about what you're describing, but from what it sounds like human error resulted in a chemical meant for an entirely different purpose becoming a 200 foot long flamethrower gout.

Which, you know.

Awesome.

So explain if it's okay? =D

13. - Top - End - #163

Wet [natural] gas is what comes out of the ground. It's mostly methane (CH4), but also contains some heavier hydrocarbons (ethane, propane, etc). A cryo plant is where the the gas is cooled to separate it into components (by evaporators, similar to how your air conditioner works). The components go to chemical plants for plastics and other uses, and the remaining dry gas sold as boiler feed, so yeah, it's flammable.

MMFCD is a standard unit of flow measurement - million cubic feet per day. A 100MMFCD gas pipeline (there were actually three lines coming in) is big. Really big.

The "human error" would have been in allowing the plant to continue operating without full control, which could have had much worse consequences then a an "awesome flamethrower." (Also, as I recall there was a forklift involved. Stuff happens, the trick is to keep worse stuff from happening.)
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hmmm, is Howard about to go off on a "do clones have souls" tangent? This could be interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

15. - Top - End - #165

BlackDragon

I doubt it, because there have been far too many situations where people have been cloned for that to be a factor in the comic--the big one being Haban, of course. It would only be relevant if the Ambassador Gav was the original anyway, and I'm pretty sure even the Gavs know which of them was the uncloned one.

16. - Top - End - #166

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I doubt it, because there have been far too many situations where people have been cloned for that to be a factor in the comic--the big one being HabanKevyn, of course. It would only be relevant if the Ambassador Gav was the original anyway, and I'm pretty sure even the Gavs know which of them was the uncloned one.
    FTFY

And yeah, it's highly unlikely given that every time the tangent's come up on the official boards, Howard has declined to be drawn into it. Also irrelevent as there is (well was) no discernible difference between any pair of gate clones. Unless, and specifically with respect to the Gav's you mean the one clone that did not emerge from a wormgate, and he's very dead.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Firbolg in the Playground

Maybe "do clones have souls" is the wrong way to put it. Maybe "do clones have copies of the soul of their originator?" would work better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

18. - Top - End - #168

Maybe it's a metaphysical question of the sort this board doesn't favor?

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Hmmm, is Howard about to go off on a "do clones have souls" tangent? This could be interesting.
    This soul thing. . . can I get one by eating someone else's?

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Looks like someone is start to loose thier mind and in about the worst way.

21. - Top - End - #171

BlackDragon

One wonders if this is the onset of the Gavmogre transformation (since we've not seen one "on camera" yet) or if it's something Oisri is doing...

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Maybe both! Though probably the takeover though. The first thing the takeover needs to do is take out the brain of the Gavmogre so it can rebuild the "new" version.

23. - Top - End - #173

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Looks like someone is start to loose thier mind and in about the worst way.
    *snerk*

Don't know if that was intentional or a typo, but either way...

ETA: I should talk
    Last edited by ChowGuy; 2012-09-26 at 07:24 AM.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

so, uh, is anyone else hoping these aren't as smart as Binnie?

25. - Top - End - #175

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    so, uh, is anyone else hoping these aren't as smart as Binnie?
    Binnie's trick wouldn't work again--both of the Toughs present this time have their helmets closed, because they've been expecting this sort of thing.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Dwarf in the Playground

Binnie's trick wouldn't work again--both of the Toughs present this time have their helmets closed, because they've been expecting this sort of thing.
    of course, if they can eat through diamond nanoglass with their sweat, they can eat through a helmet - all they need to do is touch them on the face.

27. - Top - End - #177

Quote Originally Posted by Ialdabaoth View Post
    of course, if they can eat through diamond nanoglass with their sweat, they can eat through a helmet - all they need to do is touch them on the face.
    Hmmm.... three Pseudowalskis against two gToughs with guns in power armor. Unless PI still has his goodie bag with him, this could shape up to be a fair fight.

And we how the Toughs feel about fair fights.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I know. I'm just hoping "horde of shambling zombies" rather than "highly effective melee army."

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

It looks like the Gavs are all done for.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Well, IIRC, all the medical wing Gavs are dead, except for three of them who just got Zombied.

The rest of the Gavs on the other side of the base are now Pseudowalskis. Those are going to be the threat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]