Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 270 of 1504
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    teratorn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Algarve (The West)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    They may be hiding UNS involvement by hiring mercenary fleets. Don't forget also that for some reason a lot of battleplates are close to Earth. They may deploy one of those but only as last resort.
    Last edited by teratorn; 2012-10-12 at 02:39 PM.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

  2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Gnoman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    Right, I didn't expect that. But isn't TAG a light cruiser? I'd expect a battleship or two to be sent in, and that would be far more difficult.

  3. - Top - End - #243
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Right, I didn't expect that. But isn't TAG a light cruiser? I'd expect a battleship or two to be sent in, and that would be far more difficult.
    Don't mistake Schlock ship designations for those 20th/21st century Anglo/American types.

    Touch-and-Go was a originally a 450 meter Daehremman destroyer, now cut down to perhaps 300 to 350 meters (I don't believe Howard has said exactly), but still within the same size range as either a UNS destroyer (200-400 meter, eg Breya's flagship Athens was a 400 meter destroyer) or a UNS batlleship (eg, the embassy ship Terra Firminator was also about 400 meters.)

    Their relative firepower or mission usage is unclear, but the Colonel Pranger (nee Integrity, later TAG) did not seem overly concerned about being fired on by what they mistook for a battleship.

    A Schlockiverse cruiser is much smaller. Both the Kitesfear (Dragon class cruiser) and the Serial Peacemaker (modified Ob'enn troop ship but referred to as "cruiser size") were in the 30 to 60 meter range.

    Of course, Ceepee was probably a bit more competent then Ennesby.
    ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

  4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NEO|Phyte's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Eberron
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    Nothing like a weapon delivery system that manages to be about as horrible as the weapon itself.
    Join IRC!
    Syrupdwellings
    I make avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.
    Avatar by me.

    ٩๏̯͡๏)۶

  5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    Whoever the girl is, she looks like she's dead by the fifth panel--even in comics, human jaws are not designed to open that wide! Scratch her being Krum, in that case.

  6. - Top - End - #246
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Coidzor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Vampire Race Track
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    That's what I was thinking...

    Mmm, bourbon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

  7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Rockphed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Near Giant Graffiti.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    This leads me to wonder why the toughs didn't have armor when they started, seeing as both Tagons wore the stuff during the terraforming wars. Maybe Captain Tagon just didn't have the budget for the stuff, and never really got into a position to need it until the stupid food commandos.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

    Now offering unsolicited advice.

  8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Gnoman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    Quote Originally Posted by ChowGuy View Post
    Don't mistake Schlock ship designations for those 20th/21st century Anglo/American types.

    Touch-and-Go was a originally a 450 meter Daehremman destroyer, now cut down to perhaps 300 to 350 meters (I don't believe Howard has said exactly), but still within the same size range as either a UNS destroyer (200-400 meter, eg Breya's flagship Athens was a 400 meter destroyer) or a UNS batlleship (eg, the embassy ship Terra Firminator was also about 400 meters.)

    Their relative firepower or mission usage is unclear, but the Colonel Pranger (nee Integrity, later TAG) did not seem overly concerned about being fired on by what they mistook for a battleship.

    A Schlockiverse cruiser is much smaller. Both the Kitesfear (Dragon class cruiser) and the Serial Peacemaker (modified Ob'enn troop ship but referred to as "cruiser size") were in the 30 to 60 meter range.

    Of course, Ceepee was probably a bit more competent then Ennesby.
    That strip suggests that the ship, before being torn in half and rebuilt, wasn't so outclassed by a UNS battleship that it wasn't worth fighting. It does not suggest that they could eliminate even one battleship with the ease that is being displayed in this current fight, especially since NSB readily admits he's not that good at it. Thus, the attack now is not being pressed with the force that I would expect. In other words, it's a trap.

  9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Rockphed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Near Giant Graffiti.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    That strip suggests that the ship, before being torn in half and rebuilt, wasn't so outclassed by a UNS battleship that it wasn't worth fighting. It does not suggest that they could eliminate even one battleship with the ease that is being displayed in this current fight, especially since NSB readily admits he's not that good at it. Thus, the attack now is not being pressed with the force that I would expect. In other words, it's a trap.
    Or the attacking corvette and support were not aware that Tagon's Toughs were defending this installation. Of course, I expect another bee-keeper-with-flamethrower moment when Tagii comes back online.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

    Now offering unsolicited advice.

  10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Therinos
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Or the attacking corvette and support were not aware that Tagon's Toughs were defending this installation. Of course, I expect another bee-keeper-with-flamethrower moment when Tagii comes back online.
    Assuming, of course, that she hasn't gone completely mad from the isolation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by blauregen View Post
    Now witness the power of this fully operational railroad engine.

  11. - Top - End - #251
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator
     
    The Glyphstone's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    That would just change the decision of who plays the bees in the analogy.
    Quote Originally Posted by GungHo, on Battletech
    The Atlas is also goofy but it has that whole "Stay Puft Marshmallow Man" menacing smile thing going for it. The guy who drew that one up was obviously taken to the Nutcracker when he was a child... and he was screaming in terror the entire time.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Enterti, Cogidubnus
    Glyphstone, out of all the playground I think you scare me the most...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode
    Glyphstone, you are an evil person :D

  12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Therinos
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    Ventura's reaction can mean one of two things. 1) that processing power is drastically important for some reason that we as non-AI-experts can't guess at. 2) the suicide order has gone through. 1 is probably better than 2, if only because it means Ventura is still around to help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by blauregen View Post
    Now witness the power of this fully operational railroad engine.

  13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    My guess is - it's being consumed by TAGII. She's no longer 'in the ball'... she's literally in the ship...
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

  14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BRC's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    On Paper
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    Remember that one comic we had of "Trapped" Tagii going insane?
    I think what Ventura realized is that, when they disconnected Tagii, all they did was shut her off from the ships systems, NOT the processing power. She's got all that processing power, and nothing to do with it. She just realized that, while they've been talking, Tagii has been trapped, alone, in her own mind, for what feels like centuries.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler

  15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NEO|Phyte's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Eberron
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    2) the suicide order has gone through.
    I am not an expert on neurotoxins, but I suspect one that was designed with 'retiring' assets in mind would not result in screaming, but rather instant death, preferably with a side-order of brain trauma to ensure they stay dead.
    Join IRC!
    Syrupdwellings
    I make avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.
    Avatar by me.

    ٩๏̯͡๏)۶

  16. - Top - End - #256
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Coidzor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Vampire Race Track
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    Pretty sure that's her realizing that Tagii has gone rampant and insane due to being improperly shut down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

  17. - Top - End - #257
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    memnarch's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    In the mind.

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    Wow.

    Uhh..... yeah.

    Damn.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

    Currently playing: Minecraft, L4D2, Awesomenauts. Available for L4D2 shenanigans almost anytime.

    Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

  18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Bulldog Psion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    Um... wow.
    Spoiler: Poem by Charles Badger Clark
    Show

    So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time.

  19. - Top - End - #259
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    It certainly sheds new light on Karl's comment about "If there has to be a sacrifice..." No wonder he's so hard on Kaff "still playing captain"; he's never forgiven him for hesitating. And I expect Kaff's never forgiven himself either and that's why he left active duty.
    Last edited by ChowGuy; 2012-10-21 at 02:05 AM.
    ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

  20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    I agree with ChowGuy there. It certainly explains where the current coolness between Kaff and his father started.

  21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    Spoiler
    Show
    Hey someone that didn't get turned. And an important source of info.

  22. - Top - End - #262
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Mountain View, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    I wonder why she's still herself. Did she never watch TV, and thus not receive the reprogramming, or is it something less likely to be a one-off, such as being female? I could see a transformation into a male soldier failing due to differences in female physiology.

    On the other hand, these appear to be the Laz'r'us nannies which are pretty much super-tech, and they're also the same nannies that made her female in the first place; it would have to be something like an oversight by the programmers or a problem with applying an exactly identical program to everyone, it's certainly not a lack in basic capability.
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)

    Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

  23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Rockphed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Near Giant Graffiti.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    Maybe she is a recent enough gavmogre not to have been rewritten.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

    Now offering unsolicited advice.

  24. - Top - End - #264
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Coidzor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Vampire Race Track
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    I wonder why she's still herself. Did she never watch TV, and thus not receive the reprogramming, or is it something less likely to be a one-off, such as being female? I could see a transformation into a male soldier failing due to differences in female physiology.

    On the other hand, these appear to be the Laz'r'us nannies which are pretty much super-tech, and they're also the same nannies that made her female in the first place; it would have to be something like an oversight by the programmers or a problem with applying an exactly identical program to everyone, it's certainly not a lack in basic capability.
    There was a female gavmogre in the quarantine, IIRC.

    I can't remember which gavmogre this was though I seem to recall her being in charge of the one (Bennie?) that squished his own head.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-10-24 at 02:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

  25. - Top - End - #265
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator
     
    The Glyphstone's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    I think it's more likely she just didn't look at a TV since they started broadcasting the activation signal.
    Quote Originally Posted by GungHo, on Battletech
    The Atlas is also goofy but it has that whole "Stay Puft Marshmallow Man" menacing smile thing going for it. The guy who drew that one up was obviously taken to the Nutcracker when he was a child... and he was screaming in terror the entire time.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Enterti, Cogidubnus
    Glyphstone, out of all the playground I think you scare me the most...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode
    Glyphstone, you are an evil person :D

  26. - Top - End - #266
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    I can't remember which gavmogre this was though I seem to recall her being in charge of the one (Bennie?) that squished his own head.
    Danita, she's an excavation engineer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Maybe she is a recent enough gavmogre not to have been rewritten.
    Unlikely, given her reference to "lately, I'm the greeter" I'm inclined to think her initial job being pretty much done, she's now being used to fill in on other duties(*). She may in fact have been among the first personnel on the scene, so escaped whatever corruption Crum/Emm later cooked up.


    (*) Typical. We engineers do all the work of figuring out how to get the job done, then some ogre bean-counter comes in and says, "OK, thanks, we'll take it from here."

    ETA for smiley, lest I offend some ogre bean-counter
    Last edited by ChowGuy; 2012-10-24 at 03:02 PM.
    ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

  27. - Top - End - #267
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Thomar_of_Uointer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wasatch Front
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    "The Magic Word".

    I was waiting for someone to suggest they bug out. Red-hack is scary stuff.

    So, predictions for the other shoe dropping? How soon will it be till something new emerges that makes leaving difficult or impossible? I'm guessing we'll see it tomorrow, and in 10 days Tagon's team, Elf's team, and Kevyn's team will all aware of it.
    Last edited by Thomar_of_Uointer; 2012-10-26 at 09:24 PM.
    "...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

    Check out our zombie survival sandbox video game!

  28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NEO|Phyte's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Eberron
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    My prediction: The evac gets interrupted by Krum's plan B.
    Join IRC!
    Syrupdwellings
    I make avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.
    Avatar by me.

    ٩๏̯͡๏)۶

  29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Rockphed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Near Giant Graffiti.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    My prediction: The evac gets interrupted by Krum's plan B.
    Or Gav negotiates a new contract to retake the base.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

    Now offering unsolicited advice.

  30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

    It already *is* difficult to evac, IMHO--they have half their team at the bottom of a six-kilometre shaft, and we have no idea if Ennesby's control over the Touch-and-Go's teraports is precise enough to get them out. If they have to fly out then that's going to take time, and that gives opportunities for something else to happen that stops them in their tracks.

    Plus, of course, the decision isn't Elf's to make anyway--it's actually up to Kevyn whether they pull out or not.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •