The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Planetar

Question Oh God, Please Delete This Thread!

I made this thread when I was a utter noob to rules and monster creation in general, and I would rather not have this stain upon my post history haunting in the future. Please, please delete this thread.

Original, horribly ignorant text: I am a GM with little experience in monster design and in need of a design for the BBEG in our campaign. My general idea is an aeon from the Pathfinder Bestiary 2, a sort of upgraded Pleroma-esque thing. The class would probably be an extremely (but not to the point of gamebreaking) optimized lvl 30 wizard/lvl 30 cleric multiclass, representing the balance between creation and destruction and the divine and the arcane. Total caster level 60. Undetermined CR. I would be eternally grateful to anyone here who could do a full write up for me, or at least a general outline or template. Thanks!
    Last edited by demonman24; 2014-01-18 at 05:01 PM. Reason: It's an abomination

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: No Luck on Request a Homebrew

I don't think you realize what you are asking for. The most powerful creature you can get outside of divine ranks is Level 30. Caster Level 60 is... completely outside the game.
    "For it is in passing that we achieve immortality" - Pyrrha Nikos

Quote Originally Posted by Stu42 View Post
    I used to like called shots. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
    Arvak Avatar by Dirtytabs

3. - Top - End - #3

Planetar

Well, it's a multiclass of a 30th level equivalent cleric and wizard, so couldn't you just combine them, like in a normal multiclass?
    Last edited by demonman24; 2012-07-30 at 08:50 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait, are you asking for a monster, a class, or an original monster given wizard/cleric gestalt or multi-class levels, or an original monster given class levels in a new (original) class that has the total spell power of a level 30 cleric and a level 30 wizard?

5. - Top - End - #5

Planetar

I apologize if I wasn't specific enough in the OP, I am looking for an original monster with 30 levels in cleric and 30 levels in wizard, for a total caster level of 60, or a 60th level gestalt of the two, whichever would be more powerful. It would also be very helpful if such a gestalt or multiclass was already optimized by yourself or someone else as much as possible without getting to the point of breaking the game.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Such a class combination would not give you a CL of 60. Wizard and Cleric both track Caster Level separately, so it would cast wizard spells at CL 30 and Cleric spells at CL 30, barring any weird theurge tricks.

7. - Top - End - #7

Planetar

OK, but I did request the highest level of optimization possible without game breaking and that almost definitely includes "weird theurge tricks".

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by demonman24 View Post
    I apologize if I wasn't specific enough in the OP, I am looking for an original monster with 30 levels in cleric and 30 levels in wizard, for a total caster level of 60, or a 60th level gestalt of the two, whichever would be more powerful. It would also be very helpful if such a gestalt or multiclass was already optimized by yourself or someone else as much as possible without getting to the point of breaking the game.
    It probably breaks the game for most people. I know I've never needed anything nearly that powerful. Unfortunately, you seem to want this to be Pathfinder compatible and I'm not proficient with that system yet. I am not sure I'd want to tackle it in 3.5 since it would be so complicated.

Sorry.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

9. - Top - End - #9

Planetar

It doesn't have to be, I could probably take care of the conversion myself. The reason I need something so powerful is that it's supposed to be the BBEG in an epic-level campaign. And by breaking the game I mean Pun-Pun level breaking, not very high epic level min-maxing. Oh, and it would actually be better if it were a gestalt class. Thanks!
    Last edited by demonman24; 2012-07-30 at 09:48 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maquise View Post
    I don't think you realize what you are asking for. The most powerful creature you can get outside of divine ranks is Level 30. Caster Level 60 is... completely outside the game.
    Caster Level 60 isn't much more powerful than Caster Level 40. And no, you can have an arbitrarily high level without being divine. After CR 90, however, it won't make that much sense. One notable CR 90 monster is the Time Dragon, who can cast an Empowered and Maximised Time stop at will. Not that the Immortal Handbook doesn't have CR 9 000+ monsters...

A gestalt Cleric/Wizard 60 will definitely be more powerful than a simple Cleric 30/Wizard 30. Notably, it will have more hp and better spellcasting.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

It comes down to this: Do you want it to be something your players can actually defeat, or not?
    Never can find my towel...

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    Forgot who did my avatar, sorry! >.<

12. - Top - End - #12

Planetar

OK, thanks, do you think you could build/optimize that for me? That would be awesome.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Diamorus, The Elder Being

You look upon a siloette of a male human form, but as a lense through which you see the night sky. A cloak of purest crystal hangs from it's shoulders, and in stark contrast to the empty void. The raw energy of creation radiates from this being.

Size/Type: Medium Overbeing
    Hitdice: (3d8+12) + (57d8+228) (450 HP)
    Inititive: +15
    Speed: Fly 60 (Perfect) Epic Teleport without Error at will.
    Armorclass: 23 (+13 Dexterity), Touch 23, Flat footed 10.
    Base Attack/Grapple: +45/+45
    Attack: None
    Full Attack: None
    Space/Reach: 5 ft/ 5 ft
    Special Attacks: Touch of the Incomprehensible.
    Special Qualities: Beyond Mortal. Unthinkable, Unknowable. Perceive.
    Saves: +36 Fort, +45 Reflex, +32 Will
    Abilities: 10 Str, 32 Dex, 18 Con, - Int, - Wis, - Cha
    Feats: Power beyond comprehension, Shaper of Law, Without Warning.
    Skills: Spellcraft +240

Environment: His Throne within The Far Realm
    Organization: Singular
    Challenge Rating: Good Luck.
    Treasure: 21 Divine ranks.
    Alignment: Without Mortal Comprehension
    Advancement: unnecessary
    LA: -

Combat:

Touch of the Incomprehensible: As a standard action, ~ may perform a melee touch attack against one creature. Any creature touched with this ability receives a vision lasting an instant of the total history of the universe. Any creature who receives these visions has their wisdom and charisma reduced to 0.

Beyond Mortal: When reduced to 0 HP, ~ enters stasis for one year, during which he heals. He does not age. He lacks need of food, water, or air.

Unthinkable, Unknowable: ~ does not have an intelligence, wisdom, or charisma scores. These scores are considered Infinte for all intents and purposes.

Perceive: No form of magic, no barriers, not darkness, nor fog. ~ does not suffer penalties for any effect that obscures knowledge of a person's location.

Power Beyond Comprehension: ~ can cast spells as a Wizard, Cleric, and Druid of level equal to his hitdice.

Shaper of Law: ~ can cast any spell he knows spontaneously, with any metamagic he knows applied to it. The spell level adjustment of metamagics do not apply to spells cast by ~.

Without Warning: Regardless of normal casting time, any spell that ~ takes one standard action to cast, and does not provoke an attack of opportunity.
    Last edited by toapat; 2012-07-31 at 04:47 PM.
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

14. - Top - End - #14

The build is so bad it will need his powers to actually be a challenge. He has only three feats, and they are unique and overpowered.

His hit points, AC, stats, and skills are all weak. He can't cast any spell at all because of the aforementioned stats.

I suggest the following instead :
    Size/Type: Medium Outsider
    Hitdice: 60d8 +300 (780 pv)
    Initiative: +11
    Speed: 60 ft. (12 squares), Fly 60ft. (Perfect)
    Armorclass: 25 (+11 Dex, +4 Mage Armor), Touch 25, Flat footed 14
    Base Attack/Grapple: +45/+45
    Attack: None
    Full Attack: None
    Space/Reach: 5 ft/ 5 ft
    Special Attacks: Spells, Turn undead
    Special Qualities: Mage Armor, Rapid Summoning
    Saves: +37 Fort, +37 Reflex, +44 Will
    Abilities: Str 10, Dex 32, Con 20, Int 30, Wis 34, Cha 36
    Feats: Augment Summoning, Divine Metamagic, Empower Spell, Eschew materials, Maximise Spell, Silent Spell, Spell Focus (conjuration), Still Spell and Quicken Spell
    Epic feats : Epic Spellcasting, Ignore Material Components, Improved Metamagic (x4), Improved Spell Capacity (x8), Intensify Spell, Multispell (x4), Polyglot, Spell Stowaway (Time Stop), Spontaneous Domain Access (Luck), 4 other epic feats
    Skills: Diplomacy +76, Knowledge (arcana) +73, Knowledge (nature) +73, Knowledge (religion) +73, Spellcraft +93, Use Magic Device +96, 5 others skills +63
    Environment: The Center of the Multiverse
    Organization: Singular
    Challenge Rating: 61
    Treasure: Normal
    Alignment: True Neutral
    Advancement: -
    LA: -

Mage Armor (Su). As the spell, permanent.
    Magic Mastery (Ex). Can ignore XP cost of non-epic spells, up to 5 000 PX per spell.
    Rapid Summoning (Ex). Cast Summon Monster spells as a standard action (not a full round action).
    Spells. Cast spells as a 60th level wizard and as a 60th level cleric. He knows all cleric and wizard spells and can prepare them without referring to a spellbook.
    Cleric spells per day equal to (6/9/8/8/8/8/6/6/6/6/2/2/2/2), plus one bonus spell per level between 1 and 9. The save DC is 22 + spell level.
    Prepared spells : 0- ; 1- ; 2- ; 3- ; 4- ; 5-Spell Resistance* ; 6- ; 7- ; 8- ; 9-Disjunction* ; 10-Quicken Implosion (x2) ; 11-Silent Quicken Disjunction ; 12- ; 13-
    * Domain spells. Domains : Luck, Magic.
    Wizard spells per day equal to (4/7/7/7/6/6/6/6/5/5/2/1/1/1). The save DC is 20 + spell level.
    Prepared spells : 0- ; 1- ; 2- ; 3- ; 4- ; 5- ; 6- ; 7- ; 8- ; 9- ; 10-Quick Time Stop, Quick Wish ; 11- ; 12-Intensified Time Stop ; 13-
    He can also cast 18 epic spells per day. 6 are arcane epic spells and 12 are divine epic spells (he choose when he cast the spell). The save DC is 30 for arcane epic spells and 32 for divine epic spells.
    epic spells know : Hellball (non XP cost, 8d6 backlash), Let Go Of Me (no backlash), Safe Time
    Turn undead (Su). 16 times a day.
    Skills. Racial bonus of +20 on Spellcraft and Use Magic Device checks.

Now he can cast 5 9th level spells in the first round, with regular spell slots (but not more than once a day). Half decent.
    Last edited by Network; 2012-08-02 at 11:48 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Planetar

That's awesome, but I was looking more for something like a spell list and an outline of the class and it's progression, and I also want it to be something my players can actually beat, if the wisdom score is infinite then the save DCs would be infinite too.

16. - Top - End - #16

Planetar

Sorry there was a server error and I double posted.
    Last edited by demonman24; 2012-07-31 at 11:13 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

You can delete your second post in the edit window. ^.^
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

18. - Top - End - #18

Planetar

Thanks!So, any more ideas or designs for this monster?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

That's awesome, but I was looking more for something like a spell list and an outline of the class and it's progression, and I also want it to be something my players can actually beat, if the wisdom score is infinite then the save DCs would be infinite too.
    ...I think you need to give some more information. What level are your players? How many of them do you have? What do you envision this character spending most of their time doing? When will the PCs fight this character?

And as was asked earlier: What exactly are you requesting? A spell list? Or a monster? Or a class? All three?

Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

So it has an infinite will save. If you want to give players a way to get around that, give them a side quest to do, have a way to taint the thing with 'mortal perspective', even temporarily, thus giving it the 'real' mental scores that are listed above. Still high, but target-able. Otherwise, they have to stick to Ref, Fort, or no-save spells. Should be fun.

21. - Top - End - #21

Planetar

My players are level 20 right now, but are expected to be level 30 by the time they complete this adventure and fight the BBEG.There are three of them. I expect this character to spend most of their time preparing for their arrival with traps and researched spells, buffing itself, and sending evil guys after them. I am requesting all three for the purpose of being able to better customize it, and the class part should be min maxed as well for the maximum possible capabilities, without getting to game-breaking levels.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

My players are level 20 right now, but are expected to be level 30 by the time they complete this adventure and fight the BBEG.There are three of them. I expect this character to spend most of their time preparing for their arrival with traps and researched spells, buffing itself, and sending evil guys after them. I am requesting all three for the purpose of being able to better customize it, and the class part should be min maxed as well for the maximum possible capabilities, without getting to game-breaking levels.
    Intensified Timestop at will seems like a pretty easy choice to actually use
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

Drow avatar @ myself

23. - Top - End - #23

Planetar

I'm not sure what you mean. Also, Network, I like your build, but I feel it lacks flavor and special abilities, and it is supposed to fight and majorly challenge 3 30th level characters, so maybe you could optimize it up to or over 90 CR? Apologies in advance if it is already capable of that, and please explain how if so.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

I'm not sure what you mean. Also, Network, I like your build, but I feel it lacks flavor and special abilities, and it is supposed to fight and majorly challenge 3 30th level characters, so maybe you could optimize it up to or over 90 CR? Apologies in advance if it is already capable of that, and please explain how if so.
    Intensify Spell is a metamagic in the Epic Levels Handbook, that maximizes die roles, then doubles are variables of a spell excluding cl and DC. Intensified Time Stop is a full 10 rounds of free action.

with infinite Int, Cha, and Wis, as well as free metamagics, that means it can be used for free every round. the Time dragon comparatively only gets 7 rounds of his at will time stop.
    Last edited by toapat; 2012-07-31 at 04:07 PM.

Drow avatar @ myself

25. - Top - End - #25

Planetar

Thanks, but do you think you could make some alterations so it isn't invincible, just very difficult, for 3 30th level players?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks, but do you think you could make some alterations so it isn't invincible, just very difficult, for 3 30th level players?
    Implosion, cast by a cleric using DMM: Heighten, spending at least 9 uses of turn undead, instant kill 95% of the time.

He doesnt have regen, SR, and his saves for fort and reflex are abysmal for his level.

Drow avatar @ myself

27. - Top - End - #27

I didn't post his 27 other feats, his prepared spells or his magic items. Spell Resistance will grant him a SR of 72. He can cast two Quickened Miracles and two Quickened Wish in the same turn thanks to Divine metamagic and Multispell (but nothing prevent him to quicken Implosion too).

A Cloak of +10 Epic Resistance, and a Periapt of +12 Epic Wisdom, combined with a ring of Death ward and a ring of Universal Energy Immunity should be good enough. Something to boost Charisma, Intelligence or caster level is also useful.

28. - Top - End - #28

Planetar

Thank you!

29. - Top - End - #29

Planetar

Now if anyone has any ideas for special, original, abilities for this monster, that would be great!

30. - Top - End - #30

An ability to ignore XP cost of non-epic spells, to make sure he can use Miracle and Wish without backlash.

The problem is that if we optimize him too much, he will not only be a threat, but also an unbeatable boss.

I didn't complete the build, but these feats remain interesting : Improved spell capacity, Improved metamagic, and Spontaneous domain access (luck). The first two will allow him to cast quickened 9th level spells more effectively, the third will allow him to spontaneously convert prepared divine spells in spells of the luck domain, thus allowing him to convert Implosion into Miracle if he needs to change of strategy.

Some arbitrary epic spell, according to his spellcraft modifier, may also be appropriate, otherwise Antimagic Field is so easily cast.