New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Hobbit Film... trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    You'd be amazed how many tourists wander around third world hellholes without bodyguards or weapons. I had some friends at church who toddled off to an orphanage in Haiti for an aid mission and there wasn't a weapon among 'em. Their self defense consisted of sticking to known areas and not going places where they weren't welcome. Since we got as many back as went out, it seems to work.
    Yes, they were going there to build houses and distribute supplies and such. The point of the dwarves' expedition was to KILL A FRAKKING DRAGON. I guess they were hoping that Smaug would start with the least important members of the group and choke to death before he got to Thorin.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by mangosta71 View Post
    Yes, they were going there to build houses and distribute supplies and such. The point of the dwarves' expedition was to KILL A FRAKKING DRAGON. I guess they were hoping that Smaug would start with the least important members of the group and choke to death before he got to Thorin.
    Or they seriously thought Smaug was either already dead or they could somehow get Smaug to collapse the cavern he was sleeping in as he tried to catch the "thief" and kill himself in the process?
    So exactly which part was Thorin involved in the planning process?
    I don't think he was unless they made him think they had a plan but it involed the wizard blowing up the dragon, perhaps?

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

I thought the point of the expedition was to *burgle* the dragon. Didn't they talk about that? Gandalf mentioned at the party that to kill the dragon they'd need a warrior, and he couldn't find one. So they settled on burglary instead. A stupidly insane plan. It should have been just Thorin, Balin, Fili and Kili if the object was to infiltrate the mountain. Only bring Bombur along if he's able to eat the dragon.

Actually, that's probably something they left out. How the dwarves REALLY escaped the mountain.

Goblins: Ah ha, stupid dwarves!
    Bombur: Oh, I'm so HUNGRY ... NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM *eats a goblin, then eats another, pausing only to spit out the bones*

*Goblins flee*

Maybe Bombur was actually Cthulthu in disguise. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

I thought the point of the expedition was to *burgle* the dragon. Didn't they talk about that? Gandalf mentioned at the party that to kill the dragon they'd need a warrior, and he couldn't find one. So they settled on burglary instead. A stupidly insane plan. It should have been just Thorin, Balin, Fili and Kili if the object was to infiltrate the mountain. Only bring Bombur along if he's able to eat the dragon.

Actually, that's probably something they left out. How the dwarves REALLY escaped the mountain.

Bombur: Oh, I'm so HUNGRY ... NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM *eats a goblin, then eats another, pausing only to spit out the bones*

*Goblins flee*

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    It wasn't that insane. Their inept plan managed to "outsource" Smaug's killing to Bard the Bowman. Sure, Lake-town was destroyed and many innocents died, but they weren't dwarves, were they? Not only that, but the dwarves almost managed to avoid paying out any gold. If Dain would have gotten there a bit sooner, then the dwarves would have come out on top--and the men would have been the big losers.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Firbolg in the Playground

*Goblins flee*

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    You realize you are only serving to make this film sound more awesome by the minute.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    You realize you are only serving to make this film sound more awesome by the minute.
    i think that was his goal :P
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

I'll be the first to admit that their plan* for dealing with Smaug was not very well thought out, but let's face it: weapons wouldn't have done them much good either. Smaug singlehandedly destroyed Dale and drove off every dwarf in Erebor. As far as they're concerned, fighting the dragon is a losing proposition.

*Or lack thereof
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

8. - Top - End - #248
    Bugbear in the Playground

Keep in mind also that Tolkien was telling a children's story originally, and--despite how foolish it would actually be, were we in the dwarves' shoes, to not carry weapons--he wanted to handle the assorted encounters with a bit of whimsy and such rather than just have the dwarves pull axes and have a bloody melee with the trolls, etc.

Also (and correct me if I'm wrong here, since I'm no Tolkien scholar), wasn't the man something of a pacifist? I can see him not wanting to teach his children to tackle problems by immediately going for a weapon, so he didn't make axes and such the centerpiece of most of the dwarves' efforts.

Or maybe weapons are just really expensive and coal mining didn't pay too well, so they went with spending their coin on ponies, and food. ...And instruments. And caps. Oh, and the processing fees for the Shire travel visas. Those things ain't cheap, ya know!
    Author of Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure, a comedic fantasy novel set in a version of our world where reality TV show heroes slay actual monsters and the Greek gods have their own Twitter feeds!
    Now available in paperback, ebook, and audiobook!
    ~ ~ ~
    Twitter: @TheWriteMunzspace My Blog: GeekNotesspa!

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Why waste money on weapons? They weren't going to be any good against Smaug anyway. They were probably just expecting Gandalf to handle the first few mobs until they gained a few levels and some nice loot.

Still, not the worst planning I've ever seen for a raid.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    Also (and correct me if I'm wrong here, since I'm no Tolkien scholar), wasn't the man something of a pacifist?
    I don't think Tolkien was a genuine pacifist. He didn't oppose his son fighting in WW2, for example. He was a strict Catholic and war fought 'right' in the name of what's right was a part of Catholic dogma in mid-20th century.

At the same time, the man had seen a lot of grim stuff in WW1 and knew exactly how ugly war could get. There's a strong sentiment in his stuff, especially in the Lord of the Rings, that armed conflict is a messy thing that can help bring about a resolution - but it's not the resolution itself, and a resolution can't come from war alone.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlec View Post
    I don't think Tolkien was a genuine pacifist. He didn't oppose his son fighting in WW2, for example. He was a strict Catholic and war fought 'right' in the name of what's right was a part of Catholic dogma in mid-20th century.

At the same time, the man had seen a lot of grim stuff in WW1 and knew exactly how ugly war could get. There's a strong sentiment in his stuff, especially in the Lord of the Rings, that armed conflict is a messy thing that can help bring about a resolution - but it's not the resolution itself, and a resolution can't come from war alone.
    I think he was as much of a pacifist as the times and..well.. his personal history allowed for.
    a war veteran who had been badly shaken in romantic notion of the glory of war, having faced the horror of the trenches; this however didn't diminish his sense of duty and I would think that his son going to war would fall under that.. he wouldn't oppose it but see it as his duty.
    he may put his sentiments in his writing, but that's as far as a man of his breeding and generation would go.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

12. - Top - End - #252

By "pacifist" I suppose I meant someone with a healthy respect for the horrors of war and combat. (I got lazy in my word choice.)
    Author of Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure, a comedic fantasy novel set in a version of our world where reality TV show heroes slay actual monsters and the Greek gods have their own Twitter feeds!
    ~ ~ ~

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow, an actual conversation where Bombadil is pertinent that wasn't about him to begin with.

In my reading of LotR (with some circumstantial evidence from the Letters), Tom represents, in part, pacifism.

Something laudable, and something that it would be nice if we could all operate under, but ultimately something that cannot exist without others who are willing to fight to protect it (that is, Tom stands apart and takes no action regarding the Ring - and it has no power over him - but his approach cannot stand in the face of Sauron's aggression; without action by others there will be no place for Tom in Middle-earth).

At least, that reading is where I peg Tolkien's views on things. Of course, I have no special knowledge of the man beyond what I've read, so I could be wrong.
    Take your best shot, everyone else does.
    Avatar by Guildorn Tanaleth. See other avatars below.

Spoiler
    Show
    My original avatar and much better ones by groundhog22 and a Winter Olympics one by Rae Artemi.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

thats how i viewed it

if you take a LOTR=WWII analogy then the Old Forest (where tom lives) could very well be switzerland... a pacifist place where the evil is kept out by huge guns (or in bombadils case, Huorns, at least i THINK they're huorns)
    My Metal Blog
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    thats how i viewed it

if you take a LOTR=WWII analogy then the Old Forest (where tom lives) could very well be switzerland... a pacifist place where the evil is kept out by huge guns (or in bombadils case, Huorns, at least i THINK they're huorns)
    Just as general note with this line of thinking, that Tolkien was absolutely adamant on the record that LotR was not allogorical.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolkien
    It is neither allegorical nor topical.... I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done so since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateGuy

For what is it worth I believe Peter Jackson and friends only have film rights to the Hobbit and the LoTR trilogy. All other works by Tolkien and their material cannot be included... Now, how far they can stretch those rights remains to be seen..

17. - Top - End - #257
    Colossus in the Playground

From what I remember of the story, Thorin and company virtually got recruited by gandalf, and not the other way around. Gandalf got them together, gandalf brought them to the shire, forced them to take bilbo, only at elronds house did he show off the fact that he had a map of the mountain with a secret entrance marked on it, etc etc etc. I get the feeling thorin and company werent even involved in the decision making for the most part. It was closer to, "Yo thorin, my names gandalf, call me G-Money. Get your peeps together, we are gonna mess up that dragon that dissed your clan 100 years ago. Ill explain how later."

Up until the last homely house, there was absolutely no plan other than "We are going to reclaim our old family home." Even then all they had was a secret door that blibo was expected to find and figure out how to open. They never once discussed what they would do when they found smaug, they never even considered that it wasnt likely they could fit their dwarven treasure hoard into a single sack. The fact that smaug wiped out 99% of their entire dwarven clan when he was WAY younger and weaker than he would be now wasnt even thought about. They showed all the strategic thinking and planning expertise of a group of 6 year olds.

Lack of weaponry was the least of their issues. And dont tell me they relied on gandalf to solve all their problems, gandalf specifically told them he wouldnt be with them for most of the journey. Hell, I think he intended to leave them before they finished crossing the damn misty mountains but couldnt just leave until he had them resupplied again.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

18. - Top - End - #258

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    From what I remember of the story, Thorin and company virtually got recruited by gandalf, and not the other way around. Gandalf got them together, gandalf brought them to the shire, forced them to take bilbo, only at elronds house did he show off the fact that he had a map of the mountain with a secret entrance marked on it, etc etc etc. I get the feeling thorin and company werent even involved in the decision making for the most part. It was closer to, "Yo thorin, my names gandalf, call me G-Money. Get your peeps together, we are gonna mess up that dragon that dissed your clan 100 years ago. Ill explain how later."
    Unfinished Tales (and one special edition version of The Hobbit) has the story of how Gandalf chose Bilbo, the difficulties he had convincing Thorin to accept Bilbo as a member of the party, and so forth. He is very much the prime mover of the quest.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Just as general note with this line of thinking, that Tolkien was absolutely adamant on the record that LotR was not allogorical.
    Applicability, on the other hand was another thing entirely.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ettin in the Playground

Exactly. He ever had a problem with using Sauron as an example of the dangers of autocracy, or the Ring as a cautionary tale against nuclear weapons. It was claiming that Sauron was Stalin/Hitler or that the Ring WAS a nuclear bomb that he despised.

21. - Top - End - #261

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Gandalf showed them the map at Bag End, and was actually quite annoyed to see that he didn't see the moon runes until Elrond spotted them. Of course, this is Gandalf, so maybe he was just playing dumb.
    ~ ~ ~

22. - Top - End - #262

Ah oops, I thought he had held onto the map until elronds. I knew the moon letters were spotted there, I just figured that was when the map got brought out for the first time. Its been a long time since I read the book.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Exactly. He ever had a problem with using Sauron as an example of the dangers of autocracy, or the Ring as a cautionary tale against nuclear weapons. It was claiming that Sauron was Stalin/Hitler or that the Ring WAS a nuclear bomb that he despised.
    Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    Gandalf showed them the map at Bag End, and was actually quite annoyed to see that he didn't see the moon runes until Elrond spotted them. Of course, this is Gandalf, so maybe he was just playing dumb.
    Even Gandalf could roll open-ended low on his perception check...

(Heck, only Morgoth was immune to fumbling with the Iron Crown with the simirils in it, which one might suspect just might be the single most powerful bonus of that item...)

What? Middle-Earth is totally Rolemaster, and I have all the numerous source books to prove it...

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

Why waste money on weapons? They weren't going to be any good against Smaug anyway. They were probably just expecting Gandalf to handle the first few mobs until they gained a few levels and some nice loot.

Still, not the worst planning I've ever seen for a raid.
    "Alright, let's do this! BILBOOOOOOOO BAAAAAAGGINS!"

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

Applicability, on the other hand was another thing entirely.
    exactly
    his work was influenced by his life experience

i wasn't intending to make it look like i thought LOTR was wholly allegorical
    My Metal Blog

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ettin in the Playground

How many of you think that Thorin Oakenshield is a jerk? I mean he's greedy, didn't care about Bilbo until Thorin's death, and refuse to pay Laketown survivors their compensation (well, Bilbo started a war between dwarfs and human-elves alliance). Except he go all badass on goblins during three army battle.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground

He's proud, and doesn't exactly trust the random, barely-competant little fat dude that the wizard saddled him with. That's to be expected. His refusal to pay is a flaw in his race. Gold has a powerful hold over the hearts of all dwarves, and dragon-gold is suggested to inspire powerful greed in all creatures.

YOu have one thing wrong. Bilbo didn't start the almost-war. Thorin & Company's refusal to cooperate with the admittedly presumptious demands of the elves, and the more justified (but arrogantly demanded) requests of the Lake-Men was the source of the conflict. All Bilbo tried to do was to prevent the war by bribery.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I was going to say, the elves and men had zero claim to Thorin's ancestral wealth. Thorin had 100% legal right, and barely any moral obligation. He didn't set the dragon onto the lake town, nor did he ever plan to, nor is the dragon a product of the dwarven kingdom, nor did any elves or men help the dwarves when the dragon was busy wiping them out.

Any moral empathy he might have had for the men, vanished the moment they started acting like *****.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

The dwarfs did cause the dragon attack on lake town; they sent Bilbo in to steal something. And Bilbo, who worked for them, give Smaug the hint that they got help from lake town. I call that negligence.
    And Thorin and company got help at lake town, new inventory and were treated as guests of honour for quite a time. Without that help they wouldn't even got to the mountain and got the chance to steal from Smaug. Not to mention that it were the fighters from lake town who defeated Smaug, saving the treasure and their lives.
    And finally, quite some part of the treasure was stolen from old Dale.
    So Thorin did have legal and moral reason to share part of the treasure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by MLai View Post
    I was going to say, the elves and men had zero claim to Thorin's ancestral wealth. Thorin had 100% legal right, and barely any moral obligation. He didn't set the dragon onto the lake town, nor did he ever plan to, nor is the dragon a product of the dwarven kingdom, nor did any elves or men help the dwarves when the dragon was busy wiping them out.

Any moral empathy he might have had for the men, vanished the moment they started acting like *****.
    1) Some of Smaug's treasure was stolen from the men of Dale--the ancestors of some of the Lake-men

2) The men fed, clothed, and supplied the Dwarves free of charge--granted, Thorin promised to repay that.

3) The men suffered from Smaug just as much as the dwarves did. Like the dwarves, Smaug destroyed their town, killed their citizens, and forced them from their homes.

4) The men, most specifically Bard the Bowman, killed Smaug

5) Smaug destroyed Lake-town.

6) Smaug killed about 1/4 of the people, either directly or indirectly, of Lake-town. These weren't all warriors but also women and children.

7) The men would have starved without the help of the Wood-elves.

8) Smaug would not have attacked Lake-town if Bilbo hadn't "stolen" (he didn't really steal it as it truly belonged to the dwarves) the cup.

All Bard wanted was 1/12 of the gold--some of it which belonged to his people anyway. This was to rebuild Lake-town and to compensate their friends--the wood-elves--who helped them. The Lake-men were the ones who actually killed Smaug and suffered greatly from it. Without their sacrifice, Thorin would have gotten nothing and starved to death in a cave or end up eaten by Smaug. The end result is that the men receive about 1/14th of the gold--Bilbo's share.

Anyway, Bilbo and the ravens thought Bard's request was reasonable.