New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Team Cybele: The Hare and the Snake

Amon

The older man turns to see a girl rather than the battle-scarred kunoichi he expected. His surprise plays across his face for a second, before he cracks a goofy smile and just shakes his head. "A cold read? I'd say you were a tinker. You like to use your hands for things. But at the same time you're a girl used to getting anything she wanted. But you don't like it. You're clearly good with your hands, but why. Medic? No. Mechanics." His smile just gets wider. "Ya, that's it. A genin? Hm."

He turns back around and faces the sunrise. "So what's a kid your age doing out and about this early in the morning?"

Houshi

Mom looks confused, but just sighs and accepts it. "Alright. It sounds like you had a lot of trouble. You probably wanna go to sleep, so go ahead. I'll call the academy and tell them you're sick today alright?"

2. - Top - End - #302
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Houshi's laughs, "Mom, I'm not a student anymore. Also, I won't be sleeping anytime soon. I'll be out training after I go to the hospital." He rubs the back of his head, "I'm sorry I woke you both up actually. Forgot how early it is. I guess solider pills have that effect."

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ettin in the Playground

"Why on earth would my non-rhythmical and, I must say, dainty footfalls, jingling supplies, dragging cane, shorter stature and less athletic breathing pattern lead you to the conclusion of me being Sonia the Deathless even from a cursory listen? To address her in such a casual way, I'll assume you'll have seen the woman at least once in your life, good sir - perhaps it is only your eyes that are effective at gathering information." Resting her hand on her cane, her other hand at her hip, she looks at the man with sheer interest. Some might be offended to have a stranger surmise them so crudely, but she was having far too much fun already trying to figure out this odd character.

"You seem fascinated with my hands; my first thought was there was some mystical technique here, but that is unnecessary complication - or more honestly, perhaps less interesting, and I am nothing if not a victim of theatrics. It is a plain and simple deduction from readily available evidence. A person's hand shows much of them - what they are used for, where they go. The sensory homunculus, after all, places the proportion of awareness one hands with their hands as huge relative to their size, for they are the main way we interact with the world, and people would reveal more by their hands and their legs than they realise, the latter due to sheer unawareness." Backward engineering his methods was proving to be riveting. She holds up the hand at the hip to her eyes for both parties to see. "Indeed, I believe I may be an easy target to such things with these hands. Let's see, the various scars and whelps, and good control of each digit, tinkering is obvious from the latter and mechanic from the former. Yet the well-cared for skin and nails clearly portray one in a life of luxury, in which such a craft would be a hobby at best. There is a commitment to be found in my wounds, the missing body parts in particular, indicating one who lusts for that beyond the plain shelter of aristocracy. From there, with a little induction, bringing it all around is easy enough."

"Although you got one thing a little off. I'm a medic and a mechanic - I'm a woman of many talents." She sticks out her hand to shake his. "Amon Yamana, damn pleased to meet you." If he shakes her hand, she makes sure to pay close attention to the hand he uses, and indeed the one he doesn't, in hopes to gather more clues and momentary show him up at his own game; she doesn't exactly hide her agenda either, but is plainly stil friendly enough to want to introduce herself, killing two birds with one stone. "And I guess I still carry myself far too much like a genin," she says, chortling.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Troll in the Playground

"Well, this is rather awkward." Why was she dancing? And at 4 AM at that. Unsure of himself, approaches the windows and and surreptitiously peers into the glass, hoping to avoid Yuri's attention. As he stares through he glass he flushes red and does his best not to hold back his laughter. Not wanting to spoil the moment, Yousuke mentally captures the image of Yuri dancing with a broom stick and waits to see what she does next.

If she notices him he responds with: "D-Do you require a moment to compose yourself, Tsumaki-san?"

⑨Strongest Ice⑨

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ettin in the Playground

"As for why I'm out at this time, a scheduling error has me under the effects of soldier pills, thus I am looking for some way to fill my time until duty calls again or I find some way to sleep off last night. Perhaps you would care to provide such distraction?"

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

Amon

"Ah-ha. I admit I was too entranced in my own world to notice any pattern to the sound." The young man extends the same hand as Amon to shake the girl's own. His hands are soft and under-used, but his grip is firm and speaks of confidence. "I had suspected you might be both, but complication is rarely true." He maintains an air of amiability. His honest smile dies down a bit as he introduces himself. "Uchiha. Uchiha Kaede. I must admit that you are a rather easy target for a cold read, but I'll give you something you probably don't get often."

His smile, subdued as it is, remains as he talks. "You carry a lot of very deep regret and anger, but you don't have anyone to direct it at so you blame yourself. Don't. Anger helps you with goals, regret helps you learn from mistakes, but don't hold onto them so long they poison your soul." Kaede nods when the girl mentions soldier pills. "Ah, I understand. I could put you to sleep later, but it'd be a bit disturbing wouldn't it?"

Houshi

Mom gives her boy another big hug. "Please be careful then. I don't wanna lose you." Dad walks over to Houshi's Mom, places his on her shoulder, and gives Houshi a warm smile. "Just be careful, and remember to eat and sleep eventually."

Yousuke

Yuri doesn't notice what's going on outside at all. She clearly thinks she's alone, and continues practicing whatever kind of dance she's doing. She seems to have been cleaning before, and was probably intending to open up the shop before her impromptu dance session. After a few minutes she winds down, picks up the broom, turns around, and meets eye-to-eye with Yousuke. Her face goes super-bright red, and she seems to yell something but Yousuke can't hear anything. She looks ready to throw the broom at him, but then lowers it and just stares at the floor with a disturbing mix of self-disgust, embarrassment, and impotent fury. A few seconds pass, and Yuri carefully plays the broom against the counter before opening the shop door. Yousuke's immediately bombarded with blaring j-pop. Yuri's arm shoots out like a cobra going for the kill, and she jerks the genin into the shop before slamming the door shut and locking it behind him.

She shouts just to be heard over the hit single from Queens of Flowers "Rock Opera". "What're you doing here?! You stupid bastard! Why didn't you say anything?!"
    Last edited by ZeroNumerous; 2012-08-27 at 08:39 PM.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Houshi hugs her back, "Don't worry mom, I'm not going anywhere. Promise." He smiles back, "Trust me, I won't get a choice when that happens." With that, he turns around, opens the door and leaps away to the hospital.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ettin in the Playground

Amon nods at his observation that complication is rarely true, quite enjoying having some non-insane and intelligent company for once. At the mention of his name though, she tenses up. She knows little of Uchiha, but Kaede is a name has heard far too often this night. She tries not to show it too much as he goes into his deeper analysis, pulling herself form her thoughts in time to catch the tail end of it. She tries to reinforce her smile at his offer to put her to sleep. Best to raise Cybele just yet, it might taint the results. "Well, I was going to use the appropriate technique to put myself to sleep once I find a comfy bed to crawl into. For a young lady such as myself, it would be hardly appropriate to let myself be at the mercy of an older gentleman in my private chambers, wouldn't it?" she asks, her voice full of mischief. "Although, you're welcome to get me to trust you that much."

She manages to replay what he'd evaluated her with moments ago in her head, her mental capacity quite impressive. "I simply must learn to judge character as well as you seem to - or at least look as confident," she says with a wavering smile. "I wouldn't say I'm angry... but regret rings true enough. Anger is more an external thing, and all that i may rage against stands no longer, leaving me to focus inwards. Although I don't think my regret has gone too far - I have often acted as a coward, a fool and a brat, and I think such things are worthy only of regret. Although..." she smiles, looking deep into his eyes to feel him out better. "You may have a point."

"Here, let me do you now. I'm not known for my perception or judge of character, but my deduction if unparalleled. Though in true homage to your methods, I think I'll trust my instincts and make a stab in the dark. Let's see now." She circles him like a shark around a victim, feeling him out more, or at least appearing to. "What is sir Kaede Uchiha doing out here at a time like this, off duty? Something more than being grilled by Ms. Deathless I'm sure. Watching the sunrise, how romantic - a great unifier, as all people share the same sun, there's a unity to be found there, no matter how far one strays one knows they are under the same sun, and there's nothing some girls like more than a new dawn; a good way to show a new beginning, strike on a new path or relationship, as I said - romantic. Worried for a girl, perhaps? One under your watchful eye, one you know has your trust, and one whom you have released into the world under new circumstances - perhaps in the name of self-improvement? As I've said, I can't help myself from theatrics, but I'm rarely that far off base, just you stop me if I start straying too far here." She smiles, playing it a bit evilly - a cheat with knowledge beyond the current situation. But there was something about getting to know the man Cybele respected so much while also seeing the look on his face if she managed to trounce him that she couldn't help.

"And I furthermore presume, with your rather empathetic self who would give advice on the emotional wellbeing of a perfect stranger, that your lady counterpart, or man as it may be, would be, as your other half, complimentary to that aspect - perhaps a tough, efficient gal with a streak of being insecure under the mask of her workaholic ego and less than masterful at dealing with people. Take that as a compliment to how I perceive you, if you wish, when crossed with my other theory that people complete one another." She tries not to laugh at many points throughout her 'theory' but holds it together quite well, and one could mistake it for simply her take on his reactions.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

Amon

Kaede's smile softens a bit once more as he deduces what Amon is getting at. "Ah, I should congratulate you on your deductions. You're right, I am worried about a girl, but you've allowed external issues to blind you to the evidence in front of you." He gives Amon a brighter smile as he speaks.

"Cybele doesn't need me to worry about her. She's a good girl, even if she's a bit weird. And she's almost half my age." He gives a light laugh at that, but becomes a bit more somber as he continues to speak. "I'm more worried about my sister, because she's on her first mission as a genin. Those rarely go well." Kaede shrugs.

"I'll admit: Cybele told me a lot about you guys. She's really worried about her team. So I checked up on you from before, and that's why I knew about... what happened." He dodges stating exactly what, because the both of them knew exactly what he referred to.

"But it's interesting that she talked to you about me. It took two years of us working together before she talked about it before. I guess that means she's making progress toward being less closed in." He sighs. "But as much as I'd like to talk about her I'm afraid it'd be rather rude."

Houshi

Houshi arrives at the hospital and gets treated for chakra exhaustion and the soldier pill. He'll be nauseated for (2d6+2)[8] hours, but otherwise can sleep whenever necessary.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Troll in the Playground

Yousuke smiles mockingly at her outburst, suddenly feeling talkative. "Oh but I could not help myself from admiring you from afar Yuri. Your dancing is truly a sight to see." Which was not entirely a lie, he supposed. Ignoring the blaring music, Yousuke grabs the broom from the counter and gives it a twirl, holding it up for Yuri to see. "Though I am afraid to say that your standards have dropped considerably. Your partner looks as though he can barely stand himself up."

Pausing to listen to the music he adds, "Though, your taste in music is commendable."

⑨Strongest Ice⑨

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

Yousuke

Yuri really looks over Yousuke for the first time. He's shirtless, and she goes slightly more red as she finally notices. "Why are you shirtless?! What're you doing here you freakin' pervert?!" Yousuke's responses just give Yuri a confused look. She clearly can't hear him at all, and just alternates between glaring and watching Yousuke's lips. Yuri reaches for the broom almost the instant Yousuke lays his hand on it, and does her best to get it from the young boy. "You bastard! Put that down right now!" She shouts to be heard over the blaring music within the sweets shop.
    Last edited by ZeroNumerous; 2012-08-27 at 10:08 PM.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Troll in the Playground

Yousuke leans back and against the counter using one arm to keep the broom held high above her head and the other to brace himself against the edges of the counter and teasingly repeats his earlier statements, this time making sure to speak up for her benefit. Or rather, for his own benefit.

"You did not tell me that you liked to dance, Yuri!" he shouts over the music. To be perfectly honest she never told him much about anything in her life but that was besides the point. He was actually winning this time around. "If you had but mentioned it, this humble swordsman would have gladly enraptured himself in the sight of your movement!"

Was this what winning normally felt like? Arguments with Yuri were often Pyrrhic victories at best or they would find themselves interrupted by their respective duties, leaving their fights at an unsatisfying stalemate. And though those arguments were enjoyable in their own right, being able to see Yuri so furious and embarrassed left him feeling something he could certainly get used to.

Looking down, he realizes that he is still quite shirtless. Yousuke flushes red at once but does nothing to hide his shame, understanding that if he removed either hand he would be forced to relinquish the broom, which would in some small way, be admitting his defeat. Instead, he stubbornly clings to the broom and counter and ignores the comment about his lack of a shirt.
    Last edited by Bad Situation; 2012-08-27 at 10:28 PM.

⑨Strongest Ice⑨

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

Yousuke

Yuri goes even more red-faced as Yousuke takes shots at her dancing, broom, and musical tastes. Her anger reached a boiling point as he dared insinuate that she would ever stoop so low as to dance with him. She keeps trying to grab her broom. She aims to grab her broom as quickly as possible, but keeps shouting. Her voice contains all her anger, and it sounds quite serious indeed. Sure, Yuri got mad before, but this time she seems genuinely infuriated. "Get give it over and get out! Get out and don't come back! Get out before I call the cops!" She raises her arm as if to slap him, but stops herself. "Hurry up, and get out you ****ing bastard!"

14. - Top - End - #314
    Troll in the Playground

Frowning inwardly, Yousuke backs down from the counter and relinquishes the broom. The natural high passes just as easily as it came, leaving him feeling like a scoundrel for having taunted her for so long. Perhaps the nonsense his grandfather had spouted about women actually had a basis in reality after all. All he felt not was guilt and shame for having spoken to her so rashly. Teasing was one thing, but he somehow doubted that making her genuinely angry would work out well for him in the long run. Looking to make amends he throws his hands into the air and apologizes, returning to his standard register and polite intonation. "I apologize for embarrassing you so, Tsumaki-san. I should have understood your boundaries and respected your right to privacy but in my foolishness I have deeply offended your honor."

Yousuke bows at the hip and remains in this position and without looking up adds, "I am however, entirely sincere with my praise. I very much enjoyed your dancing and I am deeply regretful that I mocked it so."
    Last edited by Bad Situation; 2012-08-28 at 01:57 AM.

⑨Strongest Ice⑨

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

Yousuke

Yuri takes several deep breathes as the red haze of fury subsides. She hugs the returned broom tightly. Her white-knuckled death grip keeps it as close as possible, but she doesn't lash out with it as most would expect. She seems quite restrained compared to normal, and doesn't lash out at Yousuke as she normally would. Her anger drops almost as quickly as it had risen, and Yuri takes one final deep breath before heading over to the blaring stereo and turning it down. "That's fine. It's... It's fine. Everything is fine."

Her eyes and stance softens with Yousuke's sincere admission, and she moves over to the bar before sitting down. "Thank you. I-I'm sorry I got angry." Yuri hugs her broom and quietly questions Yousuke's sudden appearance. "What are you doing here anyway? You don't usually come in until just before noon."

16. - Top - End - #316
    Troll in the Playground

Youske retrieves his shirt from within his bag and quickly wears it, blood stains and all, wordlessly takes a seat beside Yuri at the bar. Dropping his more formal pronunciation, he responds to her in kind. "I just got back from a failed mission," he points at the blood stains on his shirt, "and due to certain circumstances I found it prudent to remove my shirt." He ruefully smiles at the thought before continuing with his own line of question, "What's wrong? You're more subdued than I like to see from you. Did something happen yesterday?"

This was...different, to say the least. It felt very strange to be speaking to Yuri and seeing her as a person as opposed to the shrill harpy he was accustomed to. Though, in all likelihood the 'shrill harpy' a persona brought on by his constant goading and casual dismissal of the girl. Seeing her vulnerable made him feel awkward on the inside and for the life of him he couldn't just leave her now.
    Last edited by Bad Situation; 2012-08-28 at 02:58 AM.

⑨Strongest Ice⑨

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

Yousuke

Yuri seems a bit put off by the blood, but she asks a very strange question. "That's not yours, right? I-I mean, if you're wounded I just cleaned up. So don't bleed on the floor, okay?" Yuri just shrugs when questioned, when she should have gotten angrier. Regardless, the young girl doesn't respond to Yousuke's attempts to divine her problem. She looks over her shoulder at the idle ice cream maker, and then back to Yousuke. "I feel like some ice cream. Do you want some? It'll just be the cheap kind. My treat." She sincerely offers the young boy a treat, whereas the normal Yuri probably would have charged him double.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ettin in the Playground

At Kaede's admission he knew of her already, Amon chuckles, actively avoiding the 'you know'. "Ha, I knew it, you're just as much of a cheater as I with your external knowledge. In fairness, not letting such things cloud one's judgement is just contrary to human thought in a way, though I shall be sure to be more disciplined in the future, and perhaps I got a little desperate to put you off balance after seeming to so thoroughly deduce me. I certainly had my suspicions when you raised my emotional state - no one is that good, are they?"

Amon bows a bit, humbly. "Sorry for assuming so much - I am quite the romantic at heart it seems, always pushing people into love. Though you could have fooled me with the way she acts - Cybele clearly looks up to you. A lot. Like, really. She said something to the effect of..." Taking a second, she clears her throat, putting on a fairly good impression of Cybele, much easier in her true, child form as she quotes her in full. "I have little love for Soragakure, but if it ever becomes a threat to Kaede-sama, then I would not hesitate to destroy it." She coughs a little towards the end, veering out. "So I guess if I had one bit of advice for you, it's don't put yourself in peril against anything you like, because she by no means seemed anything less than serious."

"I'm sorry for letting my assumptions overstep your concerns of your sister," Amon says suddenly. "Although on the bright side, I daresay their mission couldn't have gone any worse than ours did. I think if she had cared about the doings of genin, Sonia would probably have chewed us out a lot more - it was an utter shambles that turned into a brawl against vastly superior foes, and it was all we could do to get everyone out alive."

"And yet even when trying to share in your concern for your sister I only end up talking about myself. Well, don't worry too much about her, if she's a genin she's a big girl now and has to b able to handle herself. Though if it will put your mind at ease, I offer my services. As I said, I'm a medic - come to me if you need basic healing done, particularly off the books or in the field. I've been cramming to learn surgery too - which I feel I'll haveto move up seeing as how it seems to be the only decent way to treat Cybele with that odd curse. I'll assume you knew about that - I tried healing her and got half torn apart and left cursed for a good few hours for my troubles, all because she wasn't fast enough on the draw to warn me of her affliction. But as I said, I'm off duty for the next 2 days, so if you or your sister need anything, feel free to come find me, likely a the Yamana estate." She looks to the sun in mimickry of him, seeming to decide on something as she nods. "Is there somewhere we can go eat and take our minds off our troubles at this time? I was hoping to learn more of the illustrious Kaede - a man who despite being forthcoming seemingly suppresses his chakra when in the presence of a mere genin, an act even Cybele did not perform." She smiles a little, indicating them to leave together. "What are you afraid I'd see, I wonder?"

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

Amon

The older man looks over to his diminutive companion. He opens his mouth to speak, but closes it again as some errant thought overtakes him. His flighty nature lies crushed under the weight of what Amon discusses, and he gives the young lady a somber look. Even so, he says nothing as Amon talks about herself, and remains silent when she offers her services to his sister and himself. His only sound is a bit of soft laughter at the offer, but he attempts to assuage the girl's ego with an explanation. "Sorry young lady, but I already have a beautiful young servant, and she's enough of a handful. Though, it's not really my place to talk about it. You'd be better off asking her directly."

Kaede goes back to being quiet as Amon goes on about her medical training, Cybele's curse, and the offer to eat. He goes back to looking at the sun as the young girl winds down and begins talking about his chakra being suppressed. "You're right. I am rather forthcoming, even with my juniors. Let me help you out with your cold reading with a bit of training: What does my attempt to hide my nature tell you? I've been open, honest, and forthcoming when questioned, yet I hide something seemingly trivial. Why?"

He makes no move to stand, nor looks toward Amon. He remains staring at the gradually growing orange horizon. Darkness gives way to the piercing rays of the sun as the giant glowing ball grows in size and luminescence. "I've got a bad feeling. It's almost like the world's on fire."
    Last edited by ZeroNumerous; 2012-08-28 at 06:08 AM.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ettin in the Playground

Amon takes a seat next to him, huming thought as she finally descends into silence, realising how rude she is, at his question. She thinks on it - why hide? What does she know of chakra signatures? "Because you don't want to be recognised?" she suggests. "Did you worry I am someone I don't appear to be, or for the presence of another? It threw me off in our little contest of wits, so I thought you had done it just to make my part more challenging at first." A long pause. Old habits, perhaps? "To be honest yet secretive... excising knowledge of you not relating to that one point of data, I'd say you were lying, somehow." She eyes him again, trying to figure him out. "Have we perhaps met before? One can unfailingly detect chakra signatures as they could a face, and such signatures are much harder to alter than a face in many ways, so perhaps have met before or are intended to meet in teh future and you wish for me not to recognise you. But taht is contingent on whether or not you knew who I was when we shook hands - I did give my name after all. Otherwise I would guess force of habit, or perhaps, just perhaps... Cybele's chakra is not entirely unique."

At his evaluation of a bad feeling and the world burning, Amon gives another thoughtful pause, shrugging. "There are good times and there are bad times. What threat could descend upon us we could not weather if we keep heart?" she says, in attempted comfort.

If he says nothing to fill the silence for a solid minute, Amon works up the courage to ask. "Just who was Hinami?" She grimaces at her name, remorseful, making no secret of her brutal death at Cybele's hand.
    Last edited by Princess Tracy; 2012-08-28 at 06:52 AM.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

Amon

Kaede nods at Amon's assessment. He openly and jovially laughs at Amon's insinuation that his chakra would hurt her. "No, no. I'm no living curse. But you were right about something. It is an old habit. I am a spy by nature, and thusly suppress my chakra when making physical contact so sensor types like yourself don't truly know me. In my line of work sharing something so nearly impossible change is like being truly vulnerable to someone. It simply isn't done."

Amon's attempt at comfort meets deaf ears, and the older gentleman just shrugs it off. "It's just the ramblings of a worried old man. Pay me no heed." He says nothing further, and simply stares out across the horizon until Amon speaks up once more. He finally looks at the young girl again, but this time he seems genuinely confused. "How did you know that name little girl?"

Whether Amon tells him or not he responds honestly. "Hisakawa Hinami. She always looked really young, didn't she? As you know: I'm an Uchiha. I bear a bloodline known as the Sharingan, and lots of hidden villages want to get their hands on it. When I left Konohagakure with Momo, we traveled around until some hunter-nin found us. I killed them, but was laid up for a week with my injuries."

Kaede rolls up his sleeves to show Amon a network of scars and burns across both his arms. "Then I realized that I had to protect Momo, and that meant going to a Hidden Village. I chose Iwagakure because it was closest. That was foolish of me. Iwagakure accepted me, on one condition: I had to father children with several of their ninja clans. The Hisakawa, Ryougi, and the Sukomi all received my flesh-and-blood. Momo and I remained there for eight years, and I fathered several children with several women. One of those women was Hisakawa Hinami."

He pauses for a moment, but starts to speak again shortly. "Since they had gotten what they wanted Iwagakure made several secret talks with Konohagakure. The Stone wanted to return me to curry favor with the Leaf, and the Leaf didn't care if I was alive or dead. I learned of it, and fled with Momo. But the Tsuchikage's right hand and a team composed of several of my children's mothers ambushed Momo and I while we were escaping."

He turns away from Amon, but doesn't turn toward the sunrise. This time his eyes are leveled on Soragakure, and he continues his story from before. "I injured two of them. Even if it was a political trade for Momo's safety: I still felt something because of the blood shared between us. And thus I couldn't kill them. Only Hinami and the two ANBU were able to pursue me. I did my best to convince them to leave, and allow me to escape. Hinami wanted to let me go, but the ANBU refused. I attempted to bargain with my life, on the condition that they allow Momo to run away. I pleaded that she had done nothing wrong, and her one crime was to be born. Her bloodline caused her nothing but trouble, and she shouldn't be persecuted for it."

A small smile creeps across his face as he reminisces. "That spoke to the ANBU's spirit", he says as the smile dies into a frown, "and they betrayed Iwagakure. Both young girls mortally wounded Hinami, then went back to finish off the survivors. They pledged to serve me until their time had come. We came here to Soragakure two years ago, and have been ever since."

With that rather heavy story out of the way, Kaede finally relaxes a little. "I guess, then, you could say Hinami was part of a pair of star-crossed lovers."
    Last edited by ZeroNumerous; 2012-08-28 at 07:40 AM.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ettin in the Playground

Amon feels more sick the more he speaks, until by end her face had dropped into her legs. "...I'm sorry," she says simply. "Was her entire conflict with Cybele nothing more than some lover's quarrel after all?" She can't help but think how that applies to her own life. "I met her yesterday. She..." She swallows, clearly nauseated by the news. She tries to force the words out, she was a traitor, she released Yusa, Cybele drew out her suffering death, I couldn't save her. Nothing comes out however, just a series of half-words. Finally, not looking up at Kaede, pulling her bandana over her eyes, she rifles through her equipment, producing the bloody headband of Hinami, setting it down between the two of them without a word. There's no easy way to break it to him - he was her lover, after all, however mechanically.
    Last edited by Princess Tracy; 2012-08-28 at 07:44 AM.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

Amon

Kaede just looks at the headband in a practiced detached gaze. He clearly processes its existence, and likely matches it to whom they were just discussing, but he makes no sign of recognition nor does he comment on it. He simply addresses Amon's question with a forced tone. "If Cybele killed someone it definitely wasn't out of a sense of self-advancement. She isn't the type for that. She would kill to save things precious to her, but never for her own gain."

Clearly Amon had been talking about Hinami's grudge, and not Cybele's actions, but Kaede either doesn't connect them or willingly ignores it.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ettin in the Playground

"It wasn't the killing part that disturbed me," Amon says simply and truthfully. "it's the part where she 'healed' her. She left such a cruel scene that... I feel worried for Cybele."

She reminisces. "I worry a lot. Does going through all you have grant an innate calmness?"

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

Amon

Kaede doesn't address the cruel nature of Hinami's death. Whether because he couldn't condemn Cybele, or because he didn't process the problem was up in the air. Regardless, he does answer Amon's question. "No. After all, I'm still here worrying about things I can't change, aren't I?"

26. - Top - End - #326
    Troll in the Playground

Yousuke chuckles at her thinly veiled concern and shakes his head. "Well, it is my blood but I'm not injured. Actually, I managed to avoid injury entirely over the course of the mission."

At the mention of ice cream Yousuke offers her one of his rare smiles and nods but inwardly frowns. "Now I know something is wrong. She would never offer me ice cream like this." The Yuri he knew was catty and full of vitriol and while he did welcome the free ice cream and change in tone, seeing her so vulnerable felt very wrong in many ways. "Yuri. I have known you for too long and perhaps even too well, to know that something is bothering you. I can understand it if you do not wish to share your problems with me, given our track record, but if there is something wrong I would to know."

⑨Strongest Ice⑨

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ettin in the Playground

Amon sits up a little more, restoing her head on one hand as the other tugs at her bandana, pulling it off and letting the back section of her long, blonde hair drop down, leaving the top with a bad case of hat-hair as it sits as it was bound, her lower locks likewise curled oddly. "So perhaps not with age but with skill comes a degree of calm; for only things outside our contorl are worth worrying about. Getting to the level of a Jounin and still knowing there is so much beyond your ability to control must be simply maddening." She stops to appreciate the sunrise after all, not relly thinking about her words as much as she normally does, letting them flow freely from the soul instead. "As a genin I worry. I worry a lot, this world is a lot bigger than me. Any number of bad things can happen with no rhyme or reason and they can take everything from me. I was hoping if I got stronger, I would be able to worry less, I would be in less danger. Yet it seems even a jounin like yourself can find time to worry about many things. Worry must be a great unifier, to bring two souls such as ours closer together." She sighs, not bothering to gather her thoughts as she lays back.

"What should lie beyond a jounin, and is their salvation for worry to be found there? Perhaps I should aim for Kage. Perhaps as Kage I would be free of doubt and concern, perhaps then my power would be great enough to do what I will without constantly second guessing myself. Or perhaps what concerns a Kage is even more maddening, and me becoming one would do little to reassure me." She pauses for a moment, her eyes darting around in reflection. "Still," she says with a chuckle, "it couldn't hurt to become a Kage. I wonder how I would look in one of those nifty robes."

Standing, she stretches as she turns to Kaede. "You doing much? I was wondering if you could give me a few pointers - Cybele wouldn't share any moves with me, possibly due to her curse, but I need to be stronger if I'm going to be up against more people like Suzunabu Meiling. I want Cybele to know she can rely on me in the field and to not have to run at the first sign of trouble and leave everything to her like we ended up doing last night. We were poorly coordinated and everyone ended up being a burden on everyone else, and Cybele almost died alone in those woods. One of the enemies used a technique that created a physical clone of her - do you know that one? I'd settle for any really - what say you? Would you care to help me train, Kaede Uchiha? If you need payment I'm sure I can work something else out - I'm pretty knowledgeable as far as genin go when it comes to ninjutsu, if you'd be interested in a trade of techniques."

Spoiler
    Show
    Mention of Meiling was not accidental on Amon's part.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

Amon

Kaede shakes his head at the mention of jounin and kages, but says nothing. He does speak up when Amon mentions training however. "Sorry, but my team's meeting this morning for training. As much as I'd like to help they've gotta come first."

Kaede points toward himself, and a soft smile spreads across his lips. "But I'm not totally heartless, so I'll help you out a bit with Cybele-chan. She really likes cute knick knacks--little keychain animals, fuzzy toys, and that kind of stuff. If you can find something like that, then she'll probably be a lot less prickly."

The jounin either ignores or doesn't know anything about Meiling, and says nothing concerning her.

Yousuke

The youngest Tsumaki goes off to make ice cream whilst ignoring Yousuke's concern. But she doesn't ignore his words entirely. "There's nothing wrong with me. I'm the same as I've always been." After a few minutes Yuri returns with two small plastic bowls full of ice cream. She places a bowl of plain vanilla in front of Yousuke, then sits down at the bar with a bowl of chocolate chip. She doesn't make eye contact with Yousuke, and seems content to sit in silence for now. But she suddenly breaks the silence with a quiet confession.

"I'm just nervous, and other things have been making it hard on me. I finally chased down that girl, Hinami, from yesterday. And she agreed to go out with me. She's supposed to be back in a week, but I don't know what to do or say."
    Last edited by ZeroNumerous; 2012-08-28 at 04:06 PM.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ettin in the Playground

"Oh I understand, i wouldn't want to get between a jounin and his team. Cute things, eh. I'll see what I can do about that. Maybe I'll steal that cat doll form Yousuke. That or buy or make my own, or something even cuter. I'd ask to join your group for training, but I wouldn't want to be a bother - I'm much too exhausted to really fight to my fullest. Although... once I've rested up some, I intend to get some training in. How long do you intend to go for? I could always drop by when I'm recuperated, give your genin a scare. Nothing forces learning than putting genin in new situations - i'll swoop in wearing an ANBU mask and an enemy headband with a few clones, toss around a few genjutsu to screw with them and see how they deal with me. It'll be hilarious! If I don't accidentally get myself hurt." Amon rambles and laughs, as if amused just at being alive that morning. "I could certainly blow off some steam and if they're not that tough perhaps picking on them will help recover my pride." With Amon's ideas, one never can tell if she's joking or not. She exists in a quantum waveform of joking - only when observed and rejected does the wave collapse and the whole thing turn into a joke. In other other words, her humor makes for good deniability. "It's all fun and games until someone gets a kunai in the face. But just think - I'll show up, knock you on your ass, they'll freak out knowing they can't take me - I think it's a good test of a team's very being, seeing how they respond to certain defeat, if they are just lowly genin." Another bellowing laugh.

She leans against a wall as she an observation. "So Sonia hates your group too does she? I was wondering if it was just us and Cybele she hated." She thinks for a moment, seeming to wonder if she'll offend. "Would it be improper to ask where Cybele-chan lives? I have a feeling she doesn't intend to visit me, but I'm the one who patched her up after she got herself hacked to bits - as her acting doctor, it's my responsibility to occassionally check on her, if you ask me." Also catching HER off guard sometimes might be nice.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

Amon

Kaede shakes his head at Amon's offer to help. "Sorry, I don't do stuff like that. I've got my own methods, and they work for me I think. But thanks for the offer anyway."

The conversation turning to Sonia just gets a shrug from Kaede. "She hates all the ninja that aren't mercs. Native genin, missing-nin like me, or others who didn't show up with the intent of trading their services for money."

When Amon asks about where Cybele leaves, he shrugs. "I don't know. She just shows up in the mornings and leaves when I go to bed. I've asked, but she never tells me honestly. If you find out, I'd like to know as well."