New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Team Cybele: The Hare and the Snake

Amon

Amon's laughter echoes through the empty house. Her voice reverberates throughout the walls and it soon seems as if the house laughs at its owner.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ettin in the Playground

Feeling more than a little lonely, Amon grabs one of the lunches left behind. She could cook herself... a little. Well not really. Scrounging her brain, she wondered what day it was. If Sister had insisted on staying she'd be at the Academy right now, right? Hey, the Academy... there's an idea. The teacher's have to be a little knowledgeable about funinjutsu right? I'll find someone there to ask while I ask around to see if she's still in town, maybe pick up some notes on a technique while I'm there. It's a place of learning after all, might as well make it earn that title.

Amon munches down her lunch as she tries to fix the front door lock, making sure to bring a spare key this time.

Spoiler
    Show
    Time for a mildly unnecessary REPAIR CHECK! (1d20+13)[15]

Leaving her poncho and most of her other clothes from the mission on her windowsill to finish drying out, she instead dresses a little more casually, with a new set of dungarees and a shirt unbuttoned a little towards the top - fairly boyish clothes, a technique she remembered reading somewhere were good for emphasising the hips. She wondered if Houshi even bothered to change his clothes. She spends a little while taking her headband apart, instead taking the plate and sewing it on to her signature bandanna. Tucking away Hinami's old headband under her bed, she secures the box with the clown card in her bag and heads off to the old Academy, figuring even if it was fruitless, she could at least swing by there while finding somewhere good to train.

She goes to the Academy, finding whoever is in charge, introducting herself with "Amon Yamana, you remember me, right?" and asks if her sister is taking an official leave of absence. She knows it's very unlikely - after all, if they'd left her here, they would have had to leave someone to look after her, or else she would be in Amon's care, and they didn't know when she would be getting back exactly. Unless perhaps, and it was a bit of long shot, but certainly a possibility, Sis had insisted so thoroughly on waiting for Amon that they decided to leave her alone as punishment too. Would they be so married to this idea of punishment they would go through with it though?

Once learning of her sister's arrangements, or lack thereof, she produces the card that was delivered, saying "This appears to be some sort of funinjutsu, which I am unfamiliar with. An unknown party delivered it to me and I worry for its significance. Do you have any idea what it is?"

3. - Top - End - #363
    Titan in the Playground

Amon

Amon heads over to the academy, but the headmaster's far too busy to meet with anyone at the moment. She's able to find a teacher though, but he/she doesn't remember Amon. The teacher goes off to find another one, and another, and another until six other teachers verify that they don't know Amon either. Eventually someone gets the bright idea of checking the records, and finally someone finds a record of Amon's attendance. Naturally they don't show Amon what's on her record, but they do finally answer her question. It seems Amon's sister, Aiko, had been withdrawn from class yesterday. No explanation was given, but it seems she'll be returning sometime next week.

The teacher in charge of records takes the card, examines it, then returns it. She shrugs. "Sorry, but I don't know anything about it."

Spoiler
    Show
    Fuinjutsu: (1d20+10)[15]
    Last edited by ZeroNumerous; 2012-08-30 at 05:53 PM.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Houshi smiles inwardly, returning to his training, "No but I do know how to make annoying women go away..."

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ettin in the Playground

Amon pouts throughout the whole process of teacher's being cycled through to no effect to find someone who recognises her. I know they may not like me, hell, I was an ass. But because of that, you'd think I'd at least, you know, stand out a bit. I guess I don't recognise them too much either a lot of them, but still. Well, at least I know Aiko and mother and father will be back in a week. Maybe if I bunker down and knock this mission out of the park, I'll get to see them before the next one starts. I'm hugging the living hell out of Aiko, I tell you.

Amon nods in understanding when it seems they fail to identify the 'scroll' of a card, tucking it away again, though the mystery of it annoys her a lot. She wished Kaede had told her where he lived - he was a proper Jounin and pretty smart to boot (maybe even smarter than Amon), he could probably puzzle this out for her if she asked nicely. She considers that perhaps he's the one behind it. She asks the person in charge of records "Hey, have you seen Yasunari-sensei around? Still works as a teacher, right? I wanted to give thanks and maybe ask a question or two." She resists the urge to point at the Soragakure tower symbol on the plate of her new headband-bandanna and shout 'who else would teach me' several times throughout her visit.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground

Houshi

Unless he does something on his own then no one bothers him.

Amon

The teachers look a bit confused when Amon mentions Yasunari. Lots of them ask who, and even more just shrug and say they don't know such a teacher. A check of the records reveals that a Yasunari had never taught at the academy. One of the teachers suggests Amon goes to the hospital so they can check out whether she's been knocked on the head or not.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ettin in the Playground

"D-don't patronise me, I'm a medic..." Amon says as someone suggests going to the hospital. "And I just came from the hospital not an hour ago..." Instinctively, she backs away from the teachers, her trust in them more than damaged.

Is some genjutsu at work here? Yasunari definitely taught me here, at this Academy. Are they under the effects of it? No, that's an unnecessary complication - why target all of them when they can target me with the genjutsu? But then again, I did attend this place and they didn't seem to remember me, so maybe... and maybe the genjutsu, if there is one, isn't specifically aimed at me. If the Academy is compromised, who shall i turn to, and if I am compromised, how much of my perceptions or even memory can I trust? I hate genjutsu. It's all fun and games until it gets used against you. If I'm under a genjutsu, when would it have been applied? At the hospital? It was a private room, sure, but that's a solid 8 hours anyone determined enough could sneak in and do god knows what to me. If it's a powerful enough phantasm, I may not have left my bed. But who with such a powerful genjutsu would use it on me? Such is unlikely - some measure of what I perceive must reflect reality in some way. When else - the card, perhaps? Let me see....

Amon feels around for the artifice of technique use.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Chakra on the card again, and on all the teachers and records.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Titan in the Playground

Amon

The card has nothing. All the teachers have signatures of varying types. The records have their own faint signatures from being around ninja for so long.
    Last edited by ZeroNumerous; 2012-08-30 at 07:32 PM.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ettin in the Playground

Amon nods as she feels the card seems empty of chakra. She had made sure to scan it before touching it directly, and it definitely had a presence. So it must have been expended and triggered around the time she touched it directly. Stupid, stupid, you let your curiosity get the better of you. You'd think you'd learn to be cautious after trying to heal Cybele, but no, you just had to touch the obviously rigged card with your bare hands, now who knows what's happened to you. Scolding herself gives her an element of calm. Maybe Sensei was screwing with her to punish her for not turning up for her last training session. He had helped 'pull some strings' to get her on the party, you'd think he'd be less of a jerk about it. Some sort of memory altering technique, it's so screwed up... you'd never even know if you'd been affected or what had changed. You might end up a completely different person if the path you'd walked had changed. She shakes herself from her thoughts before getting too existentialist. You don't know that it's your memories that have been altered. Although something like that would be right up his alley. He robbed me of my ability to understand language for a week just for talking back a little too much.

"You're concerned about me? Fine," she says to whoever had the gall to imply she had brain damage as she holds up the card. "Point me in the direction of someone who knows what this means."

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

Amon

The teacher in question points her toward Central. Fuinjutsu simply wasn't taught as part of the basic curriculum, and none of the teachers had anything more than a passing understanding of it.

If Amon goes to Central, then she discovers a lot of civilians in long lines looking to purchase the services of ninja. The influx of people, combined with what little Amon knows about Soragakure's ninja population, means that jobs are going to be plentiful. Which probably explains why Team 5 had only been given two days of downtime.

Because of the sheer quantity of requests Amon takes a while to find any ninja with a moment to talk. But as luck would have it Amon rounds a corner just in time to see a dark-haired middle-aged ninja sitting on a bench in the hallway. She's leaning her head against the wall, with her eyes closed, and her body lax. It's almost like she's asleep, but her breathing is far too heavy for her to be asleep. The woman takes no notice of Amon's appearance, nor does she notice the genin approach if Amon choses to do so.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ettin in the Playground

Amon heads over to central and begins looking for a user of funinjutsu. If that didn't help, she'd try retracing her thoughts and steps and approaching it from another angle, possibly heading back to the hospital. When she finds the woman on the bench, she eyes her oddly - not sure if she's entirely healthy at a distance. Only when she's closer does her medical insight tell her she's almost certainly awake. Still, to be sure, she edges up to the woman, swaggering a little as she crouches to her eye level. "Excuse me, miss, I'm a med-nin. Are you alright?" she asks.

If she doesn't respond after the second repetition of 'Miss?', she takes her pulse.

Spoiler
    Show
    if Amon has to take her pulse, I guess Treat Injury to check her condition (1d20+7)[17]
    Last edited by Princess Tracy; 2012-08-30 at 08:10 PM.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground

Amon

The older woman waves Amon off. "I'm fine. Just out of shape and getting older." She doesn't open her eyes or look at Amon, but her rudeness is tempered a bit by her next words. "It's good to know that our medical ninja are more than happy to help little old ladies. That should be part of our service pitch. "Need help crossing the street? No problem. Hire a sky-nin today.""

The older woman cracks a smile at her own joke, then sighs and finally looks at Amon. Her pale brown eyes are vaguely familiar, but Amon can't quite place where. "You don't look like one of the workers assigned to Central. Did you come here for something, miss...?"

13. - Top - End - #373

SamuraiGuy

Having solved his pest problem, he makes an effort to subtly get closer to the other team. Well, as subtle as a giant kid can at least who was known to trip over his own feet. Whatever their sensei was doing, he was doing right to be more muscular then Houshi. First, he made sure he was interrupting anything. He didn't want to be, so why do it to someone else? The golden rule.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ettin in the Playground

"Sorry, I don't think you're weak or anything," Amon says respectfully. "It's just you looked like you might be unconscious or else in trouble. If you had been 10 years younger or 100 years older, it would have made no difference to my vows as a medic to help those in need." She winks. "Besides, you don't look too old to these eyes."

When asked who she is, she smiles courteously. "Amon," she says, hesitant to go by her surname during initial introductions. Though she couldn't help wonder where she'd seen the woman before. "I'm off duty today, but I think I may have been affected by some sort of technique so i came to central to look for someone to help me out." She mulls it over for a moment, but decides against taking out the card. "I don't suppose you know much of funinjutsu or genjutsu, Miss....?"

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

Amon

The older woman looks a bit surprised. "You think you've been affected? You may have a problem? You need to be certain, or no one can help you. As far as Fuinjutsu and Genjutsu: I do know some of the former, but none of the later. But neither of those are commonly used by genin..." The woman seems to think about Amon's problem for a moment, then nods.

"So you have a chuunin or jounin giving you trouble? Let me guess: A box showed up on your doorstep with no notes or letters, but your teacher didn't send it?"

Houshi

The other team seem to be in the middle of training. The big teacher's trying to walk them through an unarmed kata. The girl with big hair seems to be ignoring him, but the two boys are doing their best. Houshi doesn't recognize the technique the teacher's attempting to explain, so it's likely some kind of hijutsu.

16. - Top - End - #376

SamuraiGuy

Houshi's taijutsu knowledge was pretty deep, being some what of a born natural at it and being able to only use it. He immediately quirked a brow at the unknown kata. He followed by trying to mimic the kata.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ettin in the Playground

Amon is clearly taken aback by the woman's 'guess'. "Who are you, lady?" is the first thing she asks, out of an oddly cynical reflex, but it passes. She reaches inside her bag, retrieving the card, packaging and all. "Yeah, you're right. Some of the rest of my team got stuff yesterday, and I just joined yesterday and completed my first mission. I wasn't in the house for more than ten minutes before this thing arrived. I went to the Academy and none of the teachers recognised me at all, and if I'm being honest, i didn't fully recognise them either, and I.... I may have memories of someone who doesn't exist. My teacher, according to the records and everyone there, has never worked at the Academy. I freaked out and came here before things got any worse. Come to think of it, you seem familiar too... Why would a chuunin or jounin want to mess around with me like this - is it like a game to them? I mean, just look at what's on the back of the card..." Without thinking, she shows her the card, clown and all. "There was chakra in this before, now there isn't. I don't know any funinjutsu, but I imagine that means the technique was expended, you know?"

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

Amon

The older woman smiles, but doesn't respond to Amon's question. She nods along with Amon's story, and seems to seriously consider the consequences of the situation. She asks Amon if she can hold the card, and takes it carefully if it's relinquished. The woman turns it over in her hands several times as she traces the symbols with her eyes. When Amon finishes she finally responds. "Hm. Well, recently gifts have been appearing at the doorsteps of fresh graduates. Most of them have been beneficial, but there are occasionally things whose purpose remains a mystery."

She hands the card back. "But I know the purpose behind this one. This card contains sealing techniques that allow a technique to be stored in it, and then activated later. For example, someone could put a fireball in it and you would be able to use that fireball, even if you don't have fire-aligned chakra. It seems to use very low-level techniques, but it might be worth holding on to."

The woman turns to Amon with a worried look dominating her face. "As for what was in it, I have no idea. But it carries your chakra signature, so it won't activate for anyone else."

Houshi

The giant genin studies the man's kata intently, and after a moment he realizes something very strange. He's not doing anything at all. There's no strike, stance, or any kind of taijutsu-based maneuver inherent in the kata being performed. Regardless, Houshi's certain that something is intended to happen but he can't put his finger on it.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ettin in the Playground

"So something did affect me when I picked up the tag... the symptoms are fairly vague at this point, so i don't know what on earth happened. Was the person who gave me it the same person who placed the apparently already triggered technique in the seal? I'm not a fresh graduate though - I've been a genin for well over 2 years. Therefore, the common link must be people joining the new teams..."

At her last comment of it being tied to Amon's chakra signature, she sits confused. "Wait, then... if no one else could use it then doesn't that mean I'm the only one who could have stored the triggered technique in the first place? I don't imagine I know any technique to cause this vague sense of deja vu yet failed recollection in everyone including myself. It's seriously such a vague condition I don't even know if I'm not just over-analysing a lapse in thought, but the technique being discharged, whatever on earth it was, if reason enough to worry, right? Wait, do you mean the tag can only be used on me or the tag can only have a technique stored in it by me? No one ever taught me funinjutsu before, so..."

20. - Top - End - #380

SamuraiGuy

Houshi stops performing the kata, tilts his and scratches it in puzzlement, "..." Now, he just had to know. Instinctively, he raised his hand as he approached the teacher, "Excuse me but... what are you trying to teach them? It's not a stance, strike or maneuver."

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ettin in the Playground

Understanding a little of the 'Wild Card' item's effects, she starts to wonder if it wasn't just the stress of yesterday getting to her. "...Hmm... so far the only thing I can't account for is how no record or memory of Yasunari exists at the very Academy they taught in. If the tag didn't have a technique in it, did I perhaps have a very intense fever dream from the soldier pill sickness? But that's impossible - they wer emy favourite teacher, so how..."

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

Amon

The woman looks rather confused when Amon mentions she was a genin at the academy, but shrugs it off. "I'll be clearer: Anyone could put a variety of techniques into that card, but only you can activate it. As for why, well... I don't know. We've been trying to catch the person in the act, but they've evaded sight so far."

Houshi

The teacher just glares at the intruder, but answers anyway. "I'm trying to teach them to channel their chakra to their limbs as a form of empowerment. Your muscles aren't the only thing that can damage things, and this form of chakra control allows for greater or more precise blows."

23. - Top - End - #383

SamuraiGuy

Houshi nods sagely, rubbing his chin, "Well, it is for me and that's why I don't feel it working."

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

Houshi

The jounin shakes his head. "I'm sorry to hear that. Good luck with your missions. They'll be rather hard without the ability to channel ninjutsu." He goes back to trying to teach his students unless Houshi needs anything else.

25. - Top - End - #385

SamuraiGuy

"It really didn't seem to help my friends either last mission. Wait, that isn't even why I came to ask originally." Houshi points to his over all muscular physique, "Like I said, all I have is my blade and body. How did you get yours?"

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

Houshi

The jounin looks a bit surprised. "...My body? I was born with it. Everything else I worked hard for."

The girl covered in hair smiles and yells at her jounin. "Ryu-chan, are you gonna spend all day talking with your girlfriend or are we going to finish training?"

The jounin sighs, then looks at Houshi. "Just keep at it. Things will change with time."
    Last edited by ZeroNumerous; 2012-08-31 at 12:50 AM.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ettin in the Playground

"You've been trying to catch the person? Are you with law enforcement then?" Amon doesn't pay her own question much heed as she casts her thoughts back to yesterday. She stands her full height over the bench as she tries to gather the relevant facts. "Well, my friend got a summoning scroll that seemed custom made for him even by the presented standards, since he can't use ninjutsu so it instead uses blood to power it. It was open ended and made out between turtles and someone called Fujiwara Min. My other teammate go a cat doll of some sort... Do you have any leads? Perhaps having Amon Yamana on the case might help?" she suggests, dropping her name half on purpose as she tugs at her bandanna like it was a nifty deerstalker cap.

Amon sits down on the bench next to the woman, as she cradles her head in her hand, rubbing her temple. "I didn't choose to activate it, which means it must be something else. The clown painted on the other side of the card - I thought it was a hint I had to tell it a joke to activate it. Ha.... Oh. Maybe I'm just suffering some sort of weird battle fatigue from yesterday. But, man... inventing a person in your head. Maybe I'll hit the library and look for the name Yasunari, it's a start - maybe I did meet them but the years and the battle experience have displaced the exact circumstances. Isn't that scary though, not being able to trust your memory? I had a similar experience... yesterday... But we were on a mission, so I assumed it was an enemy genjutsu - everyone else was affected." Talking is clearly Amon's coping mechanism

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (life and earth sciences) check to see if Amon knows anything about conditions that can alter memories or other neurological conditions that she may be suffering, if natural (1d20+11)[23]
    Last edited by Princess Tracy; 2012-08-31 at 04:17 AM.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

Amon

Her mask doesn't change as she pointedly ignores Amon's question about herself. The woman just shakes her head at Amon's offer of help. "No, you should leave things like this to the police. They're better suited to this sort of thing than you. Either way, I have to be on my way. Take care young lady."

The woman gets up, brushes herself off, and walks away. Her pant suit bears no symbol of a ninja headband that Amon can see. She leaves quite quickly for a woman of her age.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ettin in the Playground

Amon feels a little better for having talked, even if she wasn't listening. You know, she thinks, I don't exactly know that was someone I could trust. But with such an issue, disclosure couldn't put me in any worse a situation. But wait, supposing she isn't with the law enforcement, who is she? Might she be...? No, she couldn't be the one responsible, right? Feeling a little silly for being so suspecting, Amon nonetheless attempts to follow the lady a bit without her knowledge. She knows it's a terrible idea, but she decides if asked she'll just say she was hoping to ask her another question but felt too awkward to ask.

Spoiler
    Show
    I use Sense Chakra to get her chakra signature
    Hide (1d20+7)[23]
    Move Silently (1d20+1)[2]

If she tries to slip away unseen
    Spot (1d20)[10]
    Listen (1d20-1)[5]

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

Amon

Amon follows the lady to a corner a few feet away from the bench. When she rounds the corner she finds no one there. She does hear footsteps going up the stairs down below, but none going down. The footsteps are hard, rapid, and seem to be heels of some sort.