New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Starfall III [IC]

The skyline of the city ahead of you is a strange mixture of graceful elven towers and humble slate roofs. In the center of all is a high steeple, strangely plain and bland in design. As you draw closer, a medley of unfamiliar smells fills your nostrils: unknown meats simmering, cheap perfume, roses and violets, the swampy reek of black mud and something else underlying it all, the sugary, spoiled smell of human decadence.

Welcome to Crescent City!

Urdarumaedin offers the following ...

"Crescent City, as you've seen since we entered the harbor, is situated slightly upriver, as the mouth of the Sappent is too marshy to build upon. It has a hot, drowsy, muggy feel to it. It was originally settled by the elves, who began the tradition of enslaving their swamp elf relatives. The original elven part of the city is still largely intact and is referred to as the old elven quarter. The humans have built their less beautiful constructions around it.

"Crescent City is a place of vice and corruption. Its morals are those of the waterfront whorehouse. If you can afford it, you can have it. The city guards are nothing more than a brute squad, murders go unreported every day and the crime gang members are the ones who command real respect on the streets. Only the rival factions' constant fighting between themselves keeps the governor's authority steady.

"The city's rogues were once united, ten years ago, under the legendary King and Queen of Thieves, Thom and Lolly Lankin. Crime was actually less of a problem in those days, as the Lankins kept their crews in order and maintained a strange form of peace with the governing authority. This Golden Age could not last. A new Primarch of the Marian Church decided to smash this house of rogues and sent an expeditionary force from Beacon City, the capital of Caldraza. Many rogues now believe that treachery from within the ranks betrayed the secrets of the Lankins' guild house; in any event, the King and Queen of Thieves were publicly executed and the criminal underworld went from being organized to being a chaotic struggle for territory. The crime rate soared.

"According to long-established rumor, Thom and Lolly hid the wealth of the Guild away somewhere in the guild house, in the old Testing Maze below the cellars. Most of the more experienced rogues in the city have been down there at some point in their lives, looking for the Lankins' lost gold. It has becomes something of a running joke. The old guild house is now a hospice, in which the monks of St. Cecilia (an order of Marians) heal the sick. But, these are just rumors, and the top rogues have found jack ....

"As the port is, ironically enough, a holy city (being the place where Blessed Marius first began to preach), it is primarily the responsibility of the Church and not the State. The Church does not, however, concern itself with secular affairs, so it appoints a politician to act with its blessing. Currently, the church-appointed governor is Lord Malthus.

"Crescent City is something of an embarrasment to Caldraza, as it is flagrantly immoral and decadent. However, it is also massively profitable. Travellers from all continents come there to sample its seedy pleasures and those travellers spend money, drinking at the bars, buying souvenirs and filling the whores' purses. Even though the amount that makes its way into the tax collectors' coffers is a fraction of what ought to be coming in (given the amount of tax-fiddling that takes place) it is still more than any other city brings in, with the exception of Beacon City itself.

"Crescent City has a higher population of rogues per capita than any other settlement in all of Ashfar. This is why it is sometimes called the Thieves' Kitchen. As a result, be careful, any brush you may have with crime here will be far more experienced than anything you might have found in Chillhame. They have had many years to practice their skills in an environment ideally suited to doing so."

Rillian shrugs and says, "Our kinda' place. Y'know, I think Fallon could fit in here quite nicely."

Urdarumaedin gives him a little bit of a glare, then softens into a chuckle. "A skill set is not a mindset."

He looks back to the group. "For those that like hard facts, this is what I know. It's a big city, some 20,000+ souls, made up of about 4/5 human, then elf, then halfling, then half-elf, and a smattering of other races. Technically, Archbishop Vigilance Derrick and the Church of Marius runs the town, but as I've said, Lord Malthus is the secular City Governor. I don't know who they are, but the Four Crime Lords are also supposed to be in charge of the city from the criminal end. The top executive authority is a man by the name of Commander Alfonso."

He looks at the captain (who has been sitting in on this meeting in his stateroom), then looks at the group. "Now, Captain Tobias Brennan and his crew and the services of the ship have been paid up full for three months total, so salary is not an issue right now. We don't have to worry about taverns or inns ... unless, of course, and you just might want to, take a more low-profile approach in case there are any spies of the Host here. Rillian and I will base ourselves here, though we will make errands around and about, including making sure we have enough money for what wasn't included in the salary: materials and expertise for repairs, consumables, and replenishing the crew's ranks after the battle with the drow. We sailed with 20, which dropped to just over 10, but the Elensil is an elven warship of the Corsair class, a gift to Lady Arigane from the elven wizards of Xoth Sarandi, and is a valuable asset to our cause."

He then moves in a little closer. "So, Rillian and I know what we'll be doing. What about the rest of you? I gave you the scholar's and lorist's view of the city, but not what's currently happening ... you'd have to figure that out. I recommend you do this before you set to any other task. Fallon and Brand are going to be your absolute best in sniffing out information, but it's always a bad idea to take an entire 'fire team' when listening to rumors.

"How you run yourselves is up to you, though I honestly recommend Drak take charge overall with Annie as his primary advisor. Fallon has the pure skills, but she is a little too aloof as a half-fey now.

"So, what will you do?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-12-28 at 03:05 AM.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Starfall III [IC]

Quote Originally Posted by lostsole31 View Post
    "How you run yourselves is up to you, though I honestly recommend Drak take charge overall with Annie as his primary advisor. Fallon has the pure skills, but she is a little too aloof as a half-fey now.

"So, what will you do?"[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    "Ach, I dare not take any such position in a group of which I am by far the most junior member. I meself know arguably the least aboot tha Host, She, and all the other evils we be up against. I expect Annie'd be perfectly capable as a leader in the land of loremasters, but Brand is the best choice in my opinion, to lead us safely through a city so thick with thieves. Perhaps Miss Fallon'd be willin' tae take our rear guard n'watch our backs, yah? I'll stick right around Shuul and guard 'im wit me life."
    Last edited by UserClone; 2011-12-28 at 08:46 AM.

Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

3. - Top - End - #3

"Remember," says Urdarumaedin, nodding at Drak, "one thing you need to do is get to a priest or someone who can sell you something with which to remove Jer'el's blindness."
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"A priest would be quite lovely. Until such time, however, I suppose I shall remain on the ship until I can see again."
    Veni, Vidi, Vici.

5. - Top - End - #5

"Hah!" Rillian laughs. "Brother, there's zero chance of bringing a priest outside of his hallowed halls. Unless the gang here buys magic, which is more expensive, you'll probably be better off being led around. Though, I have'ta' say that it's better if you all find a place to go first, that might be willing to do the job in the first place"
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Even the officials around here know something. They're probably in league with some of the gangs, etc. Perhaps I can work the more "above board" side of the equation while perusing through their libraries for some information about Starkweather John and the previous war with the Host.
    May you have a rare disease and need an operation that only one surgeon in the world, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is able to perform. And may he be unable to perform it because he doesn’t take your insurance. And may that Nobel Laureate be your son.

7. - Top - End - #7

Rillian shrugs at Annie, "To what end, Bombin' Hombelite? Look in circles in ruins? Great, then between star charts and books, I'd never get Urd outta' this dump."

Urdarumaedin nods and says, "Well, I'd love to go library lounging with you, Mr. Shuul, but I need to see to the ship, first. Though, I don't know if there are any libraries of any repute - or public access at that - here in Crescent City."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-12-31 at 12:07 AM.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8

HalflingRangerGuy

Annie smacks himself in the head.

Too much information and not enough organization! Lady Ariagne told me we should look for the Ragged Man in the Temple of Kharad.
    May you have a rare disease and need an operation that only one surgeon in the world, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is able to perform. And may he be unable to perform it because he doesn’t take your insurance. And may that Nobel Laureate be your son.

9. - Top - End - #9

"A temple?" says Urdarumaedin, "Well I mentioned him in passing before. Kharad is an ancient god, one believed dead ... or at least sleeping. God of vegetation and rot, once outlawed by the elves. I doubt you're actually going to find an active Temple. But by all accounts, Lady Arigane was well-informed. Something like that wouldn't be open in city, and likely would be out somewhere in the swamps. I doubt you'd find that information just casually asking the random Crescentian, though you might be lucky if you find a swamp elf that knows They're in town here, treated as second-class citizens."
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

HalflingRangerGuy

Ok, we'll have to start talking to some Swamp Elves.

11. - Top - End - #11

Some questions and clarifications from the DM...

Priority 1: Find a holy man or object that can restore Jer'el's sight to him!

Mission Item 1: Gather Information
    * Crescent City, because of size and resources available, is likely to be your new main staging area. Briefly, or long-term, it's a good idea to have a better feel of this place other than the useful-but-academic information provided to you by Urdarumaedin.
    * Temple of Kharad ... possibly in the swamps. Talk with swamp elves to see if they know anything.

Logistics: Is the party going to stay on the Elensil for free (but under typical ship conditions)? or, is the party going to cough up coin of its own to stay in town?

Leadership Issue
    Spoiler
    Show
    Drak, from an in-game perspective, has a great idea for who should lead. But in both cases, the pilots for each are not on giantitp as often. jmbrown, in particular, is very rare around these parts. Pilots for Drak and Annie, however, are here regularly and therefore it makes sense from a game-progression standpoint to have them the motivators. Other than Messrs. Smith & Thompson - who do wish to remain those names here and to be referred to as such (and only referred to in emergencies) - the actual party has no DM-NPCs that can help 'push' things along. Also, given various posting commitments, the democratic 'everyone chime in and chaw for awhile about the possibilities before any action is taken' method will spell a slow, agonizing death for this game.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

"We should split up. Cover more ground. Yeah, yeah 'don't split the group' but we're lookin' for help, not trouble. Drak and I will bar hop, grease some palms, keep our ears low, and find a place to hole up that has at least clean sheets.

I can't talk to priestly types. Annie, Fallon, and Jerry can find a healer on their own. We can meet on the Elensil in a few hours."

13. - Top - End - #13

Sounds like a plan. [24 hours from jmbrown's message to respond ...]
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Sounds like a plan to me. Although perhaps it would be wiser for me to remain on the ship until they find a healer? I'd be of no use on unfamiliar streets like these without my eyesight."
    Veni, Vidi, Vici.

15. - Top - End - #15

Rillian says, "He's right, though I think Mr. Smith said as much already. And the city's a bad place to go without someone can kick some shins real good. So I'm thinkin' I'll ..."

"... stay onboard and make sure Jer'el is safe while looking over the ledgers," Urdarumaedin interrupts. "I'm good at real mathetmatics, not arithmetical figuring and accounting and economy and the like. That's far more your province, ex-dealer. Besides, with you in any crew, the likelihood of a fight exponentially increases, even regarding the halfling and the dwarf - bruisers that they are - making their own team. Meanwhile, I can keep them safe, whereas you'd make them a target by association."

Rillian sighs and shrugs. "Yeah, whatever. Understanding, formularizing, and interpreting economic theory and the differentiation of one group's economy to another's, and then being able to know how to make real, solid, currency off of that is real mathematics. Yours might be a form of mathematics that's great for academicians, but what I practice is real mathematics. Your 'music of the spheres' may be fine for you, but at least what I do is useful mathematics on a major scale in the applied world.

"Besides, you're right, stargazer. The last ledger you kept that I didn't was a mess. You kept doodling para-boo-whatsits and some formula about imaginary numbers and a letter approaching infinity. No thanks. You're banned from the books."

The teams split to go on their way, with Mr. Smith (Urd) accompanying Fallon and Annie.

Jer'el conducts extreme physical regimen in the manner Drak had shown him, while Rillian does .... whatever he does with ledgers, payroll books, and budgeting and such.

'Earthy' Group (Drak & Rillian)

The city has an atmosphere all its own. The residents have a casual, laid-back approach to life, which includes merely shrugging at the news that some atrocious crime has taken place. Visitors from other cities (such as yourselves) can find it very surreal. The amused disinterest is almost like being in a dream. The smell of the place is most memorable of all. It is a mixture of river mud, human sweat, freshly boiled coffee and piquant spices, along with something older and darker, a suggestion of sweet poison.

Naked or semi-naked women and men of various races (halfling and dwarf included!) display themselves behind bawdyhouse windows and beckon travellers ot come inside, with no shame or inhibition.

Do you two gentlemen adventurers-o-the-world, fresh from war and sea, go 'undercover' to help in your mission? There's no question. Considering that Brand has an ear for the less-than-reputable, he once overheard one rogue say to another at the Flaming Beard Inn in Saragost, "The best holes belongin' to a whore are the ones found each side 'a' her head."

It's a mere 1 sp for each of you, and it's pretty much the jolliest time you gents can remember (which is saying something for Brand, though an empty comment for Drak, considering he 'decanted' only a week or so ago).

You carouse and barhop and such, spending a grand total of about a gold apiece. Brand does a good job of getting a lot of dope on a lot of stuff, and the surprising affability of Drak helps push things considerably better at that.

Rumors & Answer to Main Question
    Spoiler
    Show
    Here's what you boys learned 'in general':

There are four competing crime lords running the city - Lord Raglan, Jimmy the Tailor, Little Reginald, and Dark Mariah. If you commit a crime on their tur without their permission then you are in a lot of trouble. The crime lords have an agreement with the guards, meaning that their people can usually get away with petty crimes, so long as nobody is badly hurt.

On each crime lord's territory, there is one tavern where the crime lord's men rule the roost and can drink in safety; the landlord is in cahoots with them and will provide alibis and hiding places when needed. Lord Raglan's tavern is the Merry Jackdaw, Jimmy the Tailor's is the Pig and Hammer, Little Reginald's is the Chandler's Arms, and Dark Mariah's crew drink at the Lifeless Lass. There is a tavern in the center of town called the Laughing Lord, which is the only neutral territory in the city as far as the crime lords are concerned. They meet here if they ever want to have a face-to-face discussion.

When the authorities crushed the old Rogues' Guild ten years ago, the King and Queen of Thieves hid some special treasures away somewhere in the testing maze under the guild house. Nobody has ever found it, though plenty of people have tried. The guild house is a hospice now, sacred to Saint Cecilia.

Lord Malthus is the official governor and he seems to be doing very well so far, though nobody is entirely sure how.

The swamp elves have been slaves for as long as anyone can remember, though there are rumors of an uprising. There are people in the city who are preparing to arm the swamp elves for a revolution.

There is a haunted plantation up the river somewhere, completely deserted. The owners just fled oen day without ever explaining why. Since they never sold the land to anyone, it is unused and the mansion house has gone to rack and ruin. If you go there on a dark night, you can hear screaming.

A serial murderer is doing away with people. He mutilates the bodies in some horrible way ... by taking the victim's faces.

On the way back to the Elensil late in the afternoon, a group of young rogues are spotted 'tagging' a building. Another group of toughs catches them and confronts them, and the guard has to step in before a full-scale blood brawl occurs in the streets.

You get back to the ship approx 1600, and Rillian is out on business with sailors making sure Jer'el is safe. Jer'el, for his part, is 'shadow-shooting.' His blindness affords him the unique opportunity to really feel the tactile sensations of every aspect of shooting, and his mind and spirituality guide daydreamed senses of what would happen with each shot.

'Refined' Group (Annie, Fallon, & Mr. Smith)

The city has an atmosphere all its own. The residents have a casual, laid-back approach to life, which includes merely shrugging at the news that some atrocious crime has taken place. Visitors from other cities (such as yourselves) can find it very surreal. The amused disinterest is almost like being in a dream. The smell of the place is most memorable of all. It is a mixture of river mud, human sweat, freshly boiled coffee and piquant spices, along with something older and darker, a suggestion of sweet poison.

Some of that sweet poison catches the nose of Annie. He sees a stall set up that sells exotic tobaccos of all manner. Maybe its the smell of pipe smoke that reminds him of the Hombelite comforts of an idyllic 'home and hearth,' or perhaps its because many respected academics at the Adepts of the Prism smoked scented tobaccos that Annie finds himself drawn to the cart. Fallon, more of a sensual hedonist, too, finds the smells inviting.

Mr. Smith grabs your wrists (but not harshly), "Friends, I know of a much more respectable purveyor of the leaf that will not demand so much of you."

As you walk away, the stallkeeper giving him than the two of you a dirty look as you leave, Mr. Smith says, "And I love a good smoke myself, so if you are more than passingly interested, I can show you. But that gentleman has a substance in his that would make both of you feel absolutely wonderful for awhile - better than you've ever been before. After that, though, you'll crave it. I fear that while Annie would suffer some short-term distraction and depression, it would damn near drive you mad, Fallon."

Mr. Smith hits on an idea, and that is to make chatty folk come to him. By three people roaming around together asking questions, it is conspicuous. But by three 'performing artists' trying to make their way in a new place, given enough interest, people will come to speak with you.

Mr. Smith, of course, will play his beautiful and ornate lyre and back that up with great comic jokes and excellent use of ghost sound, dancing lights, and prestidigitation; he'll of course do a lot of 'street magic' with great skill, and Fallon is about as accomplished at these tricks of mundane legerdemain as Smith. Annie will finally get a chance to put his nice voice to good use, and Fallon? Well, Fallon is very agile (even if she can't properly dance, per se), but her pure sizzlin' status as a beautiful "Fairy Princess" - complete with functional gossamer wings - does a fine job in aiding this whole bit. Then, when they come to talk, Fallon can really turn on the charm (sometimes, if she dares, quite literally with a use or two of charm person - though Mr. Smith frowns on doing that to much as it can get folks in hot water). She is quite helpful, but the disarming demeanor and non-threatening nature (nor presence of an intimidating sexuality such as with Fallon) usually is the right combination. Annie, at such points, might sing 'set music' (for when Urd & Fallon are on a break - and chatting up folks), and/ or use his link with Oineus to observe the goings-ons and reactions of people.

Spoils in spoilers
    Spoiler
    Show
    Annie, though on the ship has a nice voice, has never had to deal with an audience before. He isn't bad ... he just isn't good, but that mediocrity can almost be a distraction for the other two.

The real skill that Fallon possesses that far exceeds her 'dance' ability are her acrobatics and sleight of hand. She's one of those rare gifted performers whose physical skill is matched by her ability to put on a good show with those abilities. She makes a significant contribution.

Urdarumaedin's performance alone is well above and beyond what is extraordinary, but Fallon's help only cements that. The total value of silvers and coppers that you collect comes to a value of 12 gp ... but the whatever-he-is splits it fully and evenly. (Sheets updated with 40 silver apiece.)

Rumors & Such
    Spoiler
    Show
    Here's what you learned from your adoring fans ...

There are four competing crime lords running the city - Lord Raglan, Jimmy the Tailor, Little Reginald, and Dark Mariah. If you commit a crime on their tur without their permission then you are in a lot of trouble. The crime lords have an agreement with the guards, meaning that their people can usually get away with petty crimes, so long as nobody is badly hurt. Lord Raglan's lieutenant, Jackary, is some kind of a vampire. Dark Mariah is half-drow; that is where she gets her dark skin tone.

On each crime lord's territory, there is one tavern where the crime lord's men rule the roost and can drink in safety; the landlord is in cahoots with them and will provide alibis and hiding places when needed. Lord Raglan's tavern is the Merry Jackdaw, Jimmy the Tailor's is the Pig and Hammer, Little Reginald's is the Chandler's Arms, and Dark Mariah's crew drink at the Lifeless Lass. There is a tavern in the center of town called the Laughing Lord, which is the only neutral territory in the city as far as the crime lords are concerned. They meet here if they ever want to have a face-to-face discussion.

When the authorities crushed the old Rogues' Guild ten years ago, the King and Queen of Thieves hid some special treasures away somewhere in the testing maze under the guild house. Nobody has ever found it, though plenty of people have tried. The guild house is a hospice now, sacred to Saint Cecilia. The old Rogue's Guild was double-crossed - an insider let the authorities in, though nobody knows who or how. Among the treasures hiddden away by the King and Queen of Thieves was an artifact that they stole from the crypt of a hero who fell in battle over a thousand years ago. According to legend, he was slain in battle but came back from the dead to help his comrades. The King and Queen of Thieves survived their deaths somehow, though nobody has any idea where they are today.

Lord Malthus is the official governor and he seems to be doing very well so far, though nobody is entirely sure how.

The swamp elves have been slaves for as long as anyone can remember, though there are rumors of an uprising. There are people in the city who are preparing to arm the swamp elves for a revolution.

There is a haunted plantation up the river somewhere, completely deserted. The owners just fled oen day without ever explaining why. Since they never sold the land to anyone, it is unused and the mansion house has gone to rack and ruin. If you go there on a dark night, you can hear screaming. The deserted plantation belonged to the Valjean family. When the Valjean family abandoned their plantation and headed overseas, they did not take their eldest son Michel with them.

A serial murderer is doing away with people. He mutilates the bodies in some horrible way ... by taking the victim's faces.

The building that is now the Town Hall used to be a temple to the elven god Brith; there are rooms in there that nobody knows about. The central bank has some artifacts stored in it that have been there for centuries.

As you get back towards the docks, a fell handful of men, clustered closely, are moving away from the docks when an alarm is sounded, and other, equally rough-looking fellows give chase. Mr. Smith stops any chase and says, "Not our business, and we don't know who's 'right' or 'wrong.' We've been away awhile, and they await us on the ship. Let's not make enemies ... just yet."

The 'refined' group gets back to the Elensil, where after a break Drak was playing Hunter to Brand's Rabbit, just in time for dinner aboard ship where Rillian (who returns just before the second group) had worked with the Captain to make sure of a stores' load with fresh vegetables, dairy, and meat!

There is the breakdown of who learned what ... with it painfully obvious that the refined group learned far, far more than the others. (But that's okay, because the two roughnecks enjoyed drinking and getting laid ... but "ssshhhh" ... the others don't need to know that).

Sooo ... if you don't stay aboard the ship (and more and more it's looking like a good option considering the state in town ... but that can be discussed by the PCs), then the Laughing Lord might be the best place, unless you want to go to a place whose aegis is under the strong support of one of the Crime Lords.

No information about a Temple of Kharad. The fact that the Town Hall is an ancient and former Temple of Brith that might not be fully explored is of great interest at least to Annie and Mr. Smith, if no one else. The only mysterious place that may or may not be a cult center of worship or anything could be the abandoned Valjean manner ... and that the 'haunting' is possibly a means to chase people away from the revival of a new cult ... maybe.

The Captain reports that a lot of bizarre, sad-looking elves have clambered at the chance to be trained as sailors and get out of Crescent City. Mr. Smith explains the second-class status of these swamp elves ... and are looked upon as elves by normal elves in the same way as men look upon apes as their own cousins, with disgust and mortification at the mere thought. But where normal elves are urbane and likely to command a high working fee, the swamp elves will work for cheap, are strong, and are unusually good phenomenal swimmers.

When Captain Brennan asks his XO about the 'main crux of the mission - finding someone to heal Jer'el's blindness - Annie and Fallon are shaking their heads when Urdarumaedin says, "Actually, I have it covered. She is probably waiting on the pier for me as we speak."

Dinner concluded (and we can retro conversation as needed), the party and the CO move out to the gangplank. Down below is one of those curious and downtrodden creatures known as a swamp elf. This one is a female, and quite exotic-looking, very definitely some type of savage holy woman.

Mr. Smith says, "Lady and gentlemen, please meet Madame-Chaman Juliette Ath'ja'avain deRollet. She's agreed to heal the veil over Jer'el's eyes and later to help us find the Temple of Kharad, for a price. First, she'll heal Jer'el, but before she'll help us to the Temple, we have to help her get rid of whatever evil surrounds the Valjean manor. Some of her people were too curious and have gone missing, and she is respected among her people and has been asked to help.

"In the city, she poses as a fortune-teller. The thing is, she is one. Her people call her a dreamwalker, and she's got some uncanny skills. We've met before, and I can vouch for her abilities."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2012-01-04 at 07:48 AM.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16

HalflingRangerGuy

Pleased to make your acquaintance, Madame de Rollet.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

"The pleasure is mine, Miss...Miss, er...Ma'am."

*sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

18. - Top - End - #18

Stuff happens, again ...
    Spoiler
    Show
    I had this pretty long post going when my Explorer took a nose dive. I brought up Word - because I usually 'copy' often for this very issue. Word wouldn't play, and wouldn't recall anything on the clipboard. It locked out like my browser. Had to shut down the computer and I lost everything.

So, I'm gonna suck, but I'm gonna give you 'highlights...

Guards down-pier yell at her, and she comes up gangplank. Mr. Thompson uses sleight of hand to grab a piece of paper (that she offers, but she's not so slick to try), and Brand/ Drak notice. Guards come up plank to grab her, calling her "slave."

Paper turns out to be writ of new ownership, but even after this 'proof' Thompson has to bribe the guard with a whopping five gold pieces to not bother them anymore. You learn that, legally, Juliette is now Mr. Thompson's "slave".

You learn that swamp elves aren't just second-class citizens, they're slaves. You also learn that the guard is immensely corrupt, and just as dangerous in their own way as the thieves themselves.

Back to wardroom ...

Annie knows that swamp elves aren't wizards like other elves (they are usually illiterate), but likely are a crossbreed 'tween elves and an aquatic dragon (aeons ago), which explains more sorcerous tendencies. "Juliette" is her individual 'slave name' and "deRollet" (now, with the write, "deThompson") is not her own surname, but defines who owns her.

Annie, Brand, Fallon, and Jer'el - all who speak Elven - know that her elven name ("Ath'ja'avain") means something like "By Spirit-Staff" ... not as flowing as 'proper' Elven.

Drak and Jer'el know that most swamp elves are known for being particularly good hunters (i.e., ranger is favored class).

In wardroom ... Juliette is 5' tall, 95 pounds. Swamp elves have greenish-brown tinge to skin (olive), amber eyes, and large ears that come to a point. Her entire outfit is full of hocus-pocus in the same was as Calypso from PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN, though her beauty is more like Zoe Saldana. Her staff is adorned, but is masterwork as a weapon. She squats on the chair like a frog, not sitting on it properly, and smokes a corncob pipe.

Her speech is very, very heavily accented with voodoo-woman patois (again, much like Calypso). I put up a speech of hers - despite giving a caveat of not doing justice. Srgonzo would've appreciated the translation-spoiler which was obscenely super-academic, but I'm not redoing it. Long and short is .... she'll heal Jer'el if you all help get rid of whatever is at Valjean Manor. After that, she'll extend her service by helping you find what might be the Temple in the swamp, for it may be in an evil area avoided by the swamp elves.

Anyone have a problem with Jer'el's sight being restored at the cost of a side-adventure before tackling the bigger mission-oriented goal?
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I for one am perfectly happy questing if it means I'll be rewarded with sight."
    Veni, Vidi, Vici.

20. - Top - End - #20

That's one person .... anyone else?
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

[OoC]Huh. Guess the forum eated my response.[/OoC]

"Allow me."

Drak produces flint and steel with which to light the corncob pipe's contents, and after lighting it for her, returns Juliette's pipe to her hand.

He looks at her strangely, and keen folks might suspect that this look is something more than just confusion or politeness...

"Of course we'll do it.
    We need our lad in fighting trim, after all."
    Last edited by UserClone; 2012-01-09 at 10:52 AM.

*sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

HalflingRangerGuy

Right. We'll take care of the blindness issue, then we'll set about gathering the information we need. Madame, is there anything we can do to assist you?

23. - Top - End - #23

Madame Juliette says, "No. We are agreed by word. If you'll allow me ..."

She gets off her haunches and walks around the table - the long way, because that is more dramatic, no? - to get to Jer'el. She makes a few gestures and some arcano-religious words, touches Jer'el.

Jer'el, you are no longer blind, and this wildly exotic and beautiful elf stands aside you (as described before). Do you say anything?

Meanwhile, Mr. Thompson asks, "Annie, what information do you need to gather concerning the Valjean Plantation?"
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2012-01-10 at 02:00 PM.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Thank you, Madame. To have sight again is the most wondrous gift I could ask for."
    Veni, Vidi, Vici.

25. - Top - End - #25

Mr. Thompson *bumps* Annie (srgonzo) on the head to bring him out of his reverie. "What do you need to research the Valjean Plantation, or do you guys just want to up and head out? Mr. Smith has to stay here for business. I'd prefer to stay, but I'm worried that you may be healing-poor and you'd need my bardic healing magic."

Fallon chimes in ('cause her voice is musical like chimes), "Have no fear! I have this nifty wand of cure light wounds - the party treasure I'm holdin' and usin' since Ezekiul died - so I'm now officially a cleric. Ha-ha-ha!"

Madame Juliette, "You make no never mind and do' ya own business, Misser Thompson. Madame Juliette got ya' covered, mon. I got healin' of all sorts of powwa' in my book o' mojo. I prepare us some for movin', and can study agin' at night if'n' we be all bashed but breathin.'"

Annie
    Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, that threw you for a loop. Maybe she's just a cleric or druid - preparatory divine casters - describing uniquely her prayers, but it is still strange. She talks about a "book of mojo" and "study" rather than rites and prayer. Unless you've mistaken her because of her interesting patois, this means that she must study a book like a wizard to get what is traditionally divine healing spells? The only arcane casters you know of that have healing magic are bards like Urdarumaedin/Thompson.

You think about it. You are pretty open (so I've observed) to the unknown and unexpected, so there could be many, many possibilities. However, one comes immediately to mind, a profession of rare casters known as 'archivists.'
    Spoiler
    Show
    Archivists are a rare group of divine spellcasters who prepare their spells through study of a prayerbook ... possibly what she referred to as a "book of mojo." Though accepted as fellow scholars by many wizards and bards, but appreciated for their complementary and helpful magic, they are often viewed poorly by their own clerical compatriots, even from the same faith. There is a lot of suspicion involved here, though the few archivists that exist - and usually there are different ones for every faith - because they don't 'pray' for the blessings from their deity, and borders on a sense of heresy to some, as if archivists 'steal' their god's powers.

Archivists are seekers of lost lore (including written clerical spells, which are the brand of spells they are known to use), and are quite invaluable when going into unsure places to search out lost or hidden knowledge.
    As Annie looks at this primitive elven female shaman (for that is what chaman means), surely there is a chuckle if she is supposed to be an urbane, scholarly, 'archivist.'

And this begs the question .... what god does she worship, anyway?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2012-01-13 at 05:20 PM.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

HalflingRangerGuy

Madame Juliette, if that is the name you prefer, do you have any suggestions regarding what we might need for Valjean Manor? Aside from the standard supplies and a stolen loaf of bread. Can I get someone to steal a loaf of bread for me? I think the lady archivist should accompany us, as she is the most knowledgable of this area.

27. - Top - End - #27

"Dat," she says, "I can no tell you, for it furder dan a mile from where dee swamp feels mos' dain-jer-ous. I do na' know what ye be needin' from stolen bread, but bring yerselves what objec's mos' make yer power be da best."
    Spoiler
    Show
    It just so happens, in Justen's game, a character playing the bard started singing "Do You Hear the People Sing?" as the 'inspire confidence' song ... and now my little gnome has joined in punctuating (and puncturing) each line with a stab. At the same time, today, my cousin in TN is seeing Les Miz tonight, and I had to share this with her, because between typing the post in Justen's game, I was reading her FB posts as well ... and filksinging her intentions to clean the house before seeing the show to the tune of "At the End of the Day".
    Does anybody need anything, then, or are we good to go?
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28

HalflingRangerGuy

I don't suppose there's a purveyor of a psionic materials in town, is there?

29. - Top - End - #29

Mr. Thompson says, "While I have some passing study in the subject [psionics], for psychic adepts were far more common back in the day - many elves, in fact, enjoyed meditative arts such as that - you'll find little these days, I'm sure. However, I haven't actually looked for anything like that, so you might find something. You might actually find it in magical curio shops that recognize the power of an object without actually knowing what it is."
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30

HalflingRangerGuy

Do we really have the time to go shopping? If so, I'd be delighted to have your company and that of Madame Juliette.