Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [nWoD] Campus Vigilantes 2: Halloween

The map made it look like a permanent stage to me. Anyway, yes, Jamie is behaving realistically, and yes, he is pissing me off. Doesn't he realize how important what we do is? Does he not realize that we're the ones who took down Rasputin's, and saved countless oblivious college kids from getting lured into traps by soulless, self-serving monsters, not to mention all the vampires?
    Quote Originally Posted by CN the Logos View Post
    They're just there, and horribly fatal when one stumbles across them, like self-aware landmines.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by McGonigle View Post
    From the map, I thought that by looking though the doorway next to the stage, she should be able to see the dance floor, a temporary stage probaly wouldn't be large enough to block line of sight, and the door would be on the same level as a permenant one.
    Mainly asking for clarification, since it might be important later.
    The stage is indeed permanent, but I was assuming you'd keep the door closed, since backstage is supposed to be off-limits.

Quote Originally Posted by ToySoldierCPlus View Post
    Anyway, yes, Jamie is behaving realistically, and yes, he is pissing me off. Doesn't he realize how important what we do is? Does he not realize that we're the ones who took down Rasputin's, and saved countless oblivious college kids from getting lured into traps by soulless, self-serving monsters, not to mention all the vampires?
    Got proof?

Some of you guys sure like long-winded speeches... It's nice roleplay, and right now there is enough time for it, but be careful because Talking Isn't Always a Free Action. I remember the speech Leon tried to pronounce during a standoff with the villains - I had to cut it short and ask ToySoldierCPlus to find a less potentially deadly time for it.

I can't comment on how much truth the characters' theories contain, but I'm loving them.

I'll update after work.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2012-09-13 at 11:04 AM.
    Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing:
    Campus Vigilantes 3 - The Root of All Evil (nWoD)

Playing:
    Ill Met By Morrslieb (WFRP) as Pieter, Ranald-worshipping revolutionary
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, renegade pyromancer

Quote Originally Posted by Cyriaque Lamar -- Cracked.com
    Well, that's it. The written word has peaked. Time to shut down this whole "literature" thing. Please burn down your local library on the way out the door.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Firbolg in the Playground

By the way, I've been thinking of running a NWoD game, or a Call of Cthulhu game. I think I'd rather run CoC, since I much prefer its sanity and mental trauma system. Would any of y'all be interested in such a thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverClawShift View Post
    Wizard: Ug. God. Allright. What do you want us to do?
    Me: Burn for me.
    Wizard: ...what?
    Me: I activate the fire ability. "BURN FOR ME!!!!!!"
    Lycanthrope avatar by me!

4. - Top - End - #244

I've never actually played CoC, though based on my limited understanding, it's like NWoD mortals, except with the C'thulhu Mythos, and C'thulhu eats 1d6 investigators per round. If I could get my hands on the rulebook, I might be interested.

As for NWoD, would it just be a mortals game, or did you have a splat in mind?
    They're just there, and horribly fatal when one stumbles across them, like self-aware landmines.

5. - Top - End - #245

The CoC quickstart rules are available for free on Chaosium's website.

And if I did NWoD, it would probably start out as Mortals, and then turn into Hunter after the first mission.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm always up for more nWoD. Not so sure about CoC, though...
    -Odentin

Quote Originally Posted by IRC
    [00:37] <@Ryo-Wolf> Naki: "Yay, I built this awesome encounter that is awesome and cool and is gonna be so challenging and fun and-" Odentin: "I drop all my dailies in its face." Naki: "And its already over, ****."
    [00:38] <@Naki> He does it EVERY TIME.
    [00:38] <@Naki> EVERY. GODDAMN. TIME.
    [00:38] <@Odentin> Only twice....
    [00:38] <@Naki> Which has been every time!

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

I would be up for either though i could never get past the first page of a COC game on this forums...

8. - Top - End - #248
    Troll in the Playground

Semira's Persuasion roll (4 successes) is contested by Jamie's Resolve + Composure, but he gets a circumstantial bonus due to being angry, nervous and generally disinclined to listen to reason. (7d10)[7][8][4][6][3][1][3](32)

Jaime's Stealth roll (3 successes) is contested by Jamie's Wits + Composure. (6d10)[4][2][6][7][5][8](32)

Any 10's for the above: (5d10)[9][7][9][6][5](36)

Jaime and Semira are both successful. Currently writing an update, might take some time.

Odentin, regarding your test to know more about necromancy, the problem is that I have only a few books, so I'm a bit ignorant myself. There's a vampire's embrace, of course, as well as the Ride Corpse power (Hunter book, under Dread Powers), and the Prometheans. But I don't own the Promethean book, and I don't know if Mages have anything like necromancy since I don't have the Mage book either.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2012-09-13 at 03:45 PM.
    Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing:

Playing:

Well, that's it. The written word has peaked. Time to shut down this whole "literature" thing. Please burn down your local library on the way out the door.

9. - Top - End - #249

I'm discounting necromancy at the moment, anyway. Even if it is the cause, that's the root of the problem, not the problem itself. And the latter is what we need to focus on right now.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Mages have a spell for it.

What brought it to mind was the HtV quickstart. The end boss does something similar.
    -Odentin

[00:37] <@Ryo-Wolf> Naki: "Yay, I built this awesome encounter that is awesome and cool and is gonna be so challenging and fun and-" Odentin: "I drop all my dailies in its face." Naki: "And its already over, ****."

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    By the way, I've been thinking of running a NWoD game, or a Call of Cthulhu game. I think I'd rather run CoC, since I much prefer its sanity and mental trauma system. Would any of y'all be interested in such a thing?
    Possibly! I generally prefer NWoD, though I'm slightly in love with The Laundry RPG, which runs on CoC.

EDIT: I have surprisingly terrible luck on seduction rolls.
    Last edited by SurlySeraph; 2012-09-13 at 08:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Troll in the Playground

What is the CoC setting like? I haven't read any of Lovecraft's works. I'm mostly familiar with the Arkham Horror board game, set in the 1920's - a time period that definitely appeals to me.
    Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing:

Playing:

13. - Top - End - #253

The Call of Cthulhu game would be set in the 1920's, with the PCs investigating a "supposedly" haunted house - ever read House of Leaves? The NWoD game would be more modern, and I'm not sure what scenario I'd run - I've got a few options, including the aforementioned haunted house game, a missing person case in the mountains, and another option or two.

14. - Top - End - #254

Ooh, House of Leaves. I've never actually read it, but I really want to, and it sounds interesting. A game inspired by it would be amazingly fun, regardless of system.

Anyway, relevant to this game:
    • Price is an insufferable ass who is only trying to do his job, which at this point I'm not convinced isn't just being generally suspicious and working to tick people off
    • Mages have an entire Arcanum devoted to necromancy and related magic, the aptly-titled Death Arcanum. That said, I hate Mage with a passion, so I pray none of that's involved

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait, how many people are left?
    -Odentin

16. - Top - End - #256
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Odentin View Post
    Wait, how many people are left?
    In total, you mean? Maybe a hundred or so. For the size of the room and the intended scale of the party, it's not much.
    Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing:

Playing:

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Really? I think Mage is awesome though a bit complicated... I wish Matthew could become a Mage... A Hunter Mage . A Huntage If you will...

18. - Top - End - #258

My problem with Mage is the fluff. It's wildly incompatible with the other gamelines, it completely overrides everyone else's fluff. "Why are there--?" "Mages." "What about--?" "Mages." "Even--" "Mages, alright? It's all because mages." Any gameline that says that the only reason the others even exist is because of something they did, and the only reason the others continue to exist is because of immortal godlike beings protecting them from the predations of the mages and their immortal godlike beings is not a good gameline in my eyes. Further, and this is just a personal nitpick, but why do mages have to be better at everything than everyone else? They're better at the Underworld than Sin-Eaters, better at being werewolves than werewolves... As a general rule, anything you can do, mages do better. That bugs me.

Mage is a fine game on its own, but as soon as it starts trying to play with teh other games, everything breaks down.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

My problem with Mage is the fluff. It's wildly incompatible with the other gamelines, it completely overrides everyone else's fluff. "Why are there--?" "Mages." "What about--?" "Mages." "Even--" "Mages, alright? It's all because mages." Any gameline that says that the only reason the others even exist is because of something they did, and the only reason the others continue to exist is because of immortal godlike beings protecting them from the predations of the mages and their immortal godlike beings is not a good gameline in my eyes. Further, and this is just a personal nitpick, but why do mages have to be better at everything than everyone else? They're better at the Underworld than Sin-Eaters, better at being werewolves than werewolves... As a general rule, anything you can do, mages do better. That bugs me.

Mage is a fine game on its own, but as soon as it starts trying to play with teh other games, everything breaks down.
    Well mages are like glass canons. "Unlimited cosmic power!" In a frail Mortal's body. Shoot one in the back of the head when he isnt looking and that should take care of your problem XD

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ettin in the Playground

@^: Difficult, because it's easy to have Mage Sight and Mage Armor up 24/7 while leading an otherwise normal life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Misaat View Post
    Really? I think Mage is awesome though a bit complicated... I wish Matthew could become a Mage... A Hunter Mage . A Huntage If you will...
    Second Sight and Witchfinders have some Merits that might interest you.
    Any gameline that says that the only reason the others even exist is because of something they did, and the only reason the others continue to exist is because of immortal godlike beings protecting them from the predations of the mages and their immortal godlike beings is not a good gameline in my eyes.
    That's largely just from Imperial Mysteries though, isn't it?
    Further, and this is just a personal nitpick, but why do mages have to be better at everything than everyone else? They're better at the Underworld than Sin-Eaters, better at being werewolves than werewolves... As a general rule, anything you can do, mages do better. That bugs me.
    Mechanical reason: they get a lot more power per dot than anyone else does, because they get lots of set spells and can improvise new ones. A lot of the appeal of Mage is in the chance to be creative with your spells; it was a very big selling point of OWoD mage, and one that players really enjoy.
    Fluff reason: the main sources of horror in Mage are about your own choices. It's more about how you'll inevitably horribly misuse your cosmic power than about your phenomenal cosmic power still not being enough to achieve your desires.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

21. - Top - End - #261

Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    @^: Difficult, because it's easy to have Mage Sight and Mage Armor up 24/7 while leading an otherwise normal life.
    And, if they're actually on Mage business, there is no reason to assume they aren't expecting you, or haven't prepared for a general "attack scenario."

That's largely just from Imperial Mysteries though, isn't it?
    Most of it, yes, but the core book's true background story about Atlantis has shades of it. "Once upon a time, everything was good. But then, someone broke everything, and now things suck." You might recognize that as an apt summation of the background for Exalted, as well. That's strikes me as a bad thing.

Mechanical reason: they get a lot more power per dot than anyone else does, because they get lots of set spells and can improvise new ones. A lot of the appeal of Mage is in the chance to be creative with your spells; it was a very big selling point of OWoD mage, and one that players really enjoy.
    Fluff reason: the main sources of horror in Mage are about your own choices. It's more about how you'll inevitably horribly misuse your cosmic power than about your phenomenal cosmic power still not being enough to achieve your desires.
    I realize why they're so much more powerful than everyone else, and I will acknowledge that I can't think of a way to capture the theme of creative thaumaturgy that doesn't break the game. That said, that's not a good thing.

As for the fluff reason, that's another bad thing. Look at what everyone else struggles with: vampires struggle to maintain some tenuous grasp on their decaying humanity and resist their inevitable slide into becoming a monster. Werewolves struggle to balance their spirit halves with their human halves. Sin-eaters struggle to maintain a cohesive partnership with the half-insane ghost-thing living in the back of their head, while not losing their mind or becoming completely sociopathic in the process. Changelings struggle to rebuild their lives and identities. Prometheans struggle with trying to become human while the entire universe is, quite literally, out to get them. And mages? Mages struggle with how awesome they are. When one group's main concern and main source of horror is that they are so awesome, that's a bad thing.

Mage can work as its own game, but I can't stand its presence in the NWoD as it's written. And if any of this sounds familiar, I will freely admit that I agree wholeheartedly with CN the Logos in the main WoD Discussion thread, and am absolutely quoting him.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

I thought Mage struggled with how delicious their souls are to spirits... And the technocracy

23. - Top - End - #263

Don't mages also run a really high chance of, like, exploding or something if they mess up a spell?

Honestly, I often forget Mage is part of the NWoD line, along with Gesit.

Vampire and Hunter are my fav NWoD lines, though admittedly, they're the only ones I've played. I'd love to look more into Promethean, and maybe give it a whirl, or at least use a Promy as an NPC in a game. Werewolf seems... okay. Changeling doesn't appeal to me too much. Mage and Geist don't appeal at all.

Am I missing any game lines?

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

I could never get into Mage, really. I just never appealed to me. I've tried getting into nwod vampire, but I just don't like it compared to owod vamp. Hunter and werewolf are by far my favorites.

Never really looked into geist, changeling, or Promethean...
    -Odentin

25. - Top - End - #265

Quote Originally Posted by Misaat View Post
    I thought Mage struggled with how delicious their souls are to spirits... And the technocracy
    No, that's Ascension, from the OWoD. We're talking NWoD Mage.

Geist is ostensibly my favorite, as I like the theme and the idea, but the game is hampered by a lack of support from White Wolf.

Changeling is another game that I enjoy, at least in theory, as I haven't had an opportunity to play a proper game of Changeling at any point. But I like the mechanics, I like the setting, I like the fluff, I like pretty much everything I've read from it. My first impression was negative, but when I actually sat down and read through the core book, I found that it was actually a fairly interesting and appealing game.

Werewolf is, again, potentially my favorite, for a number of reasons, mostly the shapeshifting, setting, and theme. Gifts and Renown can bite me, though, that system needs work.

Hunter I obviously enjoy, or else I wouldn't be playing in this game.

Vampire falls into the same category as Changeling: bad first impression, but I've found it to be a pretty good game in its own right. I'm in a VtR game right now, and am enjoying it overall. The setting is honestly my biggest remaining complaint about Vampire, and there mostly the politicking and the fact that most older vampires, and therefore the ones in power, are massive jerks.

Promethean I haven't actually read through, but I like the idea well enough. I know it's useless for crossovers due to Disquiet and Wasteland, but that's about it.

I've said my piece on Mage, but I'll repeat: I don't think it fits well with the rest of the NWoD.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground

The next update may take a day or two. I'm a bit busy these days.

Also, the story is about to reach a turning point, and there are some decisions I cannot make lightly.
    Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing:

Playing:

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

Uh oh... ;
    -Odentin

28. - Top - End - #268

Huh. So no direct yes or no from Jamie regarding whether Jonah can go raid the kitchen for salt or not?

29. - Top - End - #269
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Huh. So no direct yes or no from Jamie regarding whether Jonah can go raid the kitchen for salt or not?
    That's a no. The kitchen is upstairs, so he'd have to unlock the door, follow you there and wait for you while you get some salt... He has no time for that.
    Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing:

Playing:

30. - Top - End - #270

Do I need to roll for making Holy Water (presumably using Occult), or is it a secret thingy I can't know about?