Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 1490
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Kelvin360's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Gender
    Male

    Default Fortune's Favor (IC)

    Twenty years ago, a wandering priest of Tymora settled down on the Sword Coast with a group of followers and a few close friends. A camp turned into a trading post, a trading post became renowned enough to attract more townsfolk and became a town, a fort was constructed to watch over the inhabitants, and through it all the place stood strong despite many dangerous encounters.

    Now, the Fort is abandoned, the town has grown, and travelers are more than happy to stop by (and perhaps stay in) this wayside bastion.

    They call it the Golden Beacon of the Sword Coast. They call it Lady Luck’s Benevolence.

    They call it Fortune’s Favor.

    Your group has recently arrived from their respective paths short of money, breath, and possibly hope. Now, however, the world stretches before you.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Fortune’s Favor is a half-town, half-city hybrid. Starting as a turn in the main road, the path quickly turns into bustling cobbled streets with numerous houses and a well, the usual. In a normal city this would be considered the slum, though it is well-kept and the commoners are content with their lot.

    Further down, wooden homes suddenly turn to a large gate leading into the city proper. This space is smaller than the town itself, with room for a few merchants, a tavern, the keep, and some upper-class apartments.

    Goldenwall Keep used to house the city guard and reinforcements, but the town hasn’t been disturbed in years, and so it was closed and has fallen into disrepair. There are rumors that it’s been invaded by demons and drow and other such things of course, but who puts stock into rumors anymore, right?

    From the town square (with a quaint fountain in the middle), important buildings are built in a ring, with openings for the road to the main road, and the road into the city.

    The buildings are:

    A General Shop
    An Inn
    A building with a sign out front reading ‘Defendor Investigations’ (Now Hiring)
    And a very peculiar-smelling building with bright stars over the doorway.
    Last edited by Kelvin360; 2012-08-04 at 12:57 PM.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elvish Evoker, as depicted to the left

    Currently Running: Fortune's Favor and The Elements of Power

    Look! Another Heal/Hurt thread!

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    plaaaaaaaaaaaceeeeeeessss
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fortune's Favor (IC)

    The paths of the Sword Coast, especially in the hillier regions, could be treacherous. For most, the treachery was preventative at the worst of times, especially in winter, when the rough terrain combined with the wet snows made travel almost not worth it. In summer, there were all manner of marauder to be encountered.

    Recently though, Tankerred, who'd previously been based out of Neverwinter, had noticed a lapse in the ominous reports coming from the direction of Fortune's Favor. Weary and out of work (not wanting to join a temple for fear of boredom and the lack of fulfillment the static life engendered) Tankerred found himself loading Burjes the horse with as many supplies as he could, and walking him in the direction of Fortune's Favor.

    The journey was indeed easier than the young cleric of Helm had expected. It seemed the area was becoming more and more civilized, as lands often do when defended bastions rise in their midst. Dwarven history could attest as much.

    Upon entering the town, Tankerred is impressed with its level of organisation and the apparent prosperity of its people. As he crosses the gated threshold into the central section of the settlement, he stops to look around. Strange scents came wafting from a building bedecked with star ornamentation - those scents mingling with the more familiar odors of cooking meat, tanning leather and the thick, mineral stench of the smithies.

    Smiling, Tankerred thinks to himself that this will indeed be an excellent place to ply his god-granted gifts. An entirely worthy corner of civilization to defend from whatever might assail it. His smile, however, wanes as his gaze passes over the abandoned fort at the center of town.

    Well, he mutters to himself, Seems complacency has already set in for these folk... Helm hold them... And with that, clutches his silver holy symbol that hangs from the gorget of his armour.

    Noting the sign above the "Defendor Investigations" door, Tankerred smiles and makes his way inside after tying up Burjes and taking his luggage with him (just in case), looking to find out what the establishment has to offer by way of rumours, jobs or information about any local troubles.

    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Also, would like to a Knowledge Religion check representing a cursory glance at the star symbols on the funny smelling building! Assuming that's alright...

    Knowledge Religion: (1d20+4)[13]
    The Journal of Herlam Corkwill - OOC - IC - Dice
    Characters - Varalgo Montessik - Tankerred Murldom

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    JustPlayItLoud's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Albuquerque
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fortune's Favor (IC)

    Uregaunt had seen the road sign some miles back.Fortune's Favor indeed, he thought.I hope Tymora smiles on me as brightly as she seems to have upon this town. Hardly even any guards at the entrance to town. The priests back home would be having none of that. I can only imagine what would happen in Skuld if a priest saw any public gate with only twice as many guards.

    Fortune's Favor certainly seemed like a better opportunity than what he'd seen recently. Ever since leaving Berdusk, he'd been beset by bad luck. Well, it really started with this damn cloak. Shortly after leaving Berdusk, he'd come upon a caravan fighting a losing battle against band of human and orc bandits. Some quick thinking and well placed crowd control spells brought the situation under control. The caravan master, a merchant in Elturel, thanks him. He'd been driving that caravan all the way from Suzail and had been beset by bandits thrice along the way. He had hoped to make it the short distance from Iriaebor without incident. He told Uregaunt that he'd make it worth his while if he would only follow the caravan back to Elturel. The merchant gave him a magical cloak that would protect him from the elements, produce trail rations, and even came with a flask that filled itself with ice cold water or hot, sugared tea. Uregaunt thanked him and took a room at the inn, leaving early the next morning to try and make it as close to Baldur's Gate as possible.

    In Baldur's Gate, he had paid to have his horse stabled. He walked down the road a bit to a shop whose meat pies filled the air with a savory aroma. When he came back, someone had stolen his horse in broad daylight in a crowded marketplace, but apparently no one had seen anything.

    In Waterdeep met with an old family friend, a wizard. He had been so kind as to cast divinations upon the cloak for free, but Uregaunt still had to pay for the materials. The wizard assured him the cloak was not cursed. It held the exact same dweomer as the half dozen similar cloaks he had made on commission before. On the way back to the inn, he was surrounded by thugs and shaken down for the rest of his money.

    Before he left he took on a job with a group of adventurers to raid a ruin that they had acquired an old map to. It was north along the High Road, near Neverwinter. The traps in the ruin killed all but one of the others. Once they had finished combing the place, they walked away with a half share each of some nearly worthless gems and stones and some stray coins that looked as though they'd been dropped by someone removing everything else of value. Likely a much more skilled adventuring party.

    After paying for a very expensive room in Neverwinter (they were all expensive along the Sword Coast, he'd learned), he sat down and dropped his last bit of coin on a pint of ale and a hot meal. He was thoroughly sick of trail rations and hot tea, and was looking forward to real food. He never got to taste it, however. Apparently he resembled a thief who had been operating in the city, and apparently one of that thief's most recent marks frequented that particular tavern.

    After finally outrunning the guards, he continued heading east and finally found himself coming upon Fortune's Favor. He was penniless, unemployed, and in desperate need of real food.

    Spoiler
    Show
    As an OOC aside, would you prefer we narrate our actions in past or present tense? I've played in games that go either way.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    JetThomasBoat's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Iowa
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fortune's Favor (IC)

    Kath grumbled and mumbled to himself as he trudged over the dusty, uneven ground. Merice is like to skin me alive if I make it back, he thought. Surely I won't get out of it without her twisting one of my ears off for being so daft. Stupid Captain Orvain.

    He kept on walking for a while, trying to focus on nothing but putting one foot in front of the other. His stomach was growling again, but he didn't want to eat what little hardtack and dried beef he had left. He needed to save it, since he didn't know how much farther to go. He wasn't exactly sure where he was, not after the blow to the head he'd suffered from falling off his horse.

    I know a different boat you can work on, the captain had said. I can vouch for them, he'd said.

    Kath stopped for a bit to rest under a tree and sip a bit from his waterskin. He looked up at the sun in the sky to make sure he was still heading east. He would get there eventually, he figured. If his food held out. And his water. And he wasn't attacked.

    He thought back to earlier in the year when he arrived in Waterdeep, looking for Captain Orvain, who had hired him as an extra hand and an extra bow on his ship the year before. This year, Orvain wasn't going out to sea. Orvain was a pretty good captain. Treated his men fairly, was a brave commander, and knew his way around a ship. One of the only things his crew didn't like about him was the fact that he insisted on planning his voyages based on the readings of a gypsy woman living in a poorer part of Waterdeep where he had grown up. The old woman was a fortune teller, half blind and living in squalor, but Orvain claimed she had the gift. And this year, he had told her it was a bad season for storms.

    Orvain had sent Kath to one Captain Dornelli, a slob of a captain, with more than a bit of a paunch who always wore clothes that looked like he had taken them from a respectable ship captain's corpse and had forgotten to wash them. He had a reputation for doing some shady work at times, but he was willing enough to have Kath on board. After he was nearing the end of a fairly uneventful year of transporting poor quality goods and fending off pirate attacks, his journey ended when a storm hit and the ship was blown off course. They ended up making port in Luskan and Dornelli, not off the ship thirty minutes and already well into his cups, referred Kath to a group of caravaners he knew, and Kath joined as a hired guard, eager to get back to Silverymoon.

    Along the way, the caravaners, about as good at their trade as Dornelli, were betrayed by some of the other hirelings. In the short battle, where most of the caravaners surrendered all of their goods with barely any fight, Kath tried to flee with one of the horses when they tried to take his earning from his time at see. He almost made it, too, but then a sling stone struck him a glancing blow in the back of the head and he was knocked out and dragged behind the horse for the gods knew how long.

    So here he was, lost and empty handed. He set to walking again and climbed a gradual hill. Before the top, he grabbed his waterskin and brought it to his lips, then thought better of it. He still wasn't sure how far he was to go. When he reached the top of the hill, though, he took a long pull from the skin and splashed some water on his face, for he knew he was saved. From the top of the hill, he could see a little frontier city. It looked sort of familiar, but he wasn't sure why.

    As he got closer, covering the ground more quickly when he was certain he wasn't going to die on the road, he thought he recognized the place. Fortune's Favor. He had been here before, the first time he went to Waterdeep in the previous year. He didn't remember much of the time spent there, as he had been sick with fever for that part of the trip. He had had to convince the group he traveled with then to keep taking him along, to get him all the way to Waterdeep, so he could do what he set out to do. He had promised away a fair share of the money that was supposed to go to the orphanage, but some money was better than none, and they had gotten him to the port safely.

    Now, I just need to figure out how to pay for food, bath, and bed without a penny to my name, he thought as he walked into the town several wooden houses toward a gate with bigger buildings beyond.
    Thanks to Kymme for my sweet avatar of Bendar Roy, my kick@$$ dwarven rogue.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    MonkGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Fortune's Favor (IC)

    Orin sighed and leaned back against the fountain, letting his left hand rest lightly in the cool water. It had been a strenous two weeks, since beginning his first foray out of the monastery, but it had been worth it. He'd already met so many, and learned so much.

    Orin withdrew his hand from the water and flexed it experimentally. The burns on it had healed nicely. He let his mind drift back to the night, less than a week earlier, when he had experienced his first 'real' fight - a much different affair to his years of training at the monastery.

    The bandits had obviously wanted to kill and rob everyone in the caravan, and when that failed (in no small part due to Orin) they had set the wagons alight. He and his fellow travellers had been lucky to escape with only minor injuries. Orin sighed again - No use dwelling on the past, I've already learnt from that what I may he thinks.

    Though half-closed eyes, Orin examines the populace going about their business. The sheer amount and diversity of people in this square was astounding - there were more people in this square than he'd met in his entire life. He hoped the hubris in the naming of their town wouldnt be their downfall.

    Orin continues to relax and meditate, hoping for something or someone to come along an peak his interest.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Kelvin360's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fortune's Favor (IC)

    Tankerred

    The first thing you are likely to notice upon entering is how the building looks a lot more majestic inside than out. Golden pillars (three on each side of the hallway) stretch up to hold the roof (which, contrary to the wodden appearance from outside, are actually stone underneath), and a polished wooden desk stands at the end of the hall.

    Sitting at that desk is a human man who positively reeks of kemptness and professionalism. He wears a fine suit, has short hair, and is clean shaven. He doesn't see you immediately, as he's busy organizing a lot of paperwork (a large pile of it seems to be next to a small 'problems' sign). On either side of the desk are two wooden doors, which seems odd, as given the outside size of the building and what you're seeing, they can't possibly lead anywhere.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Result -

    You know enough about religion to know the stars aren't religious markings, though they do have a sort of magical flavor to them.


    ---

    Uregaunt

    The townsfolk don't seem overly surprised to have someone new in their midst, and most of them seem very cheerful. But not 'totally a magical spell that's cursed everyone forever' cheerful.

    ---

    Kath

    The gate into the city main is guarded by two men with plate mail and halberds. Surprisingly, they seem to be actually on guard rather than bored and slouched.

    Strangely enough, Kath may notice a building with a sign of 'Mayoral Office' on the path leading to the city. It is conspicuously not in the ring of 'important buildings' surrounding the fountain.

    ---

    Orin

    To get anyplace worth going, Kath Uregaunt and Tankerred would have to pass both Orin and the fountain unless they choose a roundabout path in the dark alleys where anything could be waiting.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elvish Evoker, as depicted to the left

    Currently Running: Fortune's Favor and The Elements of Power

    Look! Another Heal/Hurt thread!

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Malak'ai's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012

    Default Re: Fortune's Favor (IC)

    "Oh gods... wh.." mumbles Santino as he pushes himself up from under the refuse that had been dumped on him though the night. His head ringing, cheek and jaw throbbing.
    What in the Nine Hell's happened last night he thinks as he searches his memories for the answers. The only thing coming to the fore is sitting down for an ale one of the lower class taverns, and saying a pleasant thanks to the serving girl then... Oh, that's right! The big man with the grey-shot red beard.

    Slowly getting to his feet and brushing himself off, Santino checks his person for any other significant injuries and finding only his purse missing. Gods... Not again! Why does this always happen?! he muses as he exits the ally where he had been dumped.

    The last couple of years had been hard for Santino. First being left to fend for himself by his sailor father after his mother passed to the 'other life', running afoul of The Cloaked Brotherhood, entirely by accident (well, at least the way Santino would tell it) and having to leave his home in Luskan faster than a magistrate on bribe day.
    He had many months wandering through the wilderness of the Sword Coast, sleeping where he could find shelter, eating what he could beg or steal, He'd tried catching his own but to no avail. Until finally coming to his homes rival city, Neverwinter.
    As a boy he'd heard his father and his friends tell many tales of Neverwinter which caused Santino to think of a gigantic hive of vile hornets, everyone willing to slit your throat for a copper. What he found was, well, not too dissimilar to Luskan. Apart from the smaller docks and the sparse concentration of soldiers, the common people were basically the same, all just going about their days work, trying to earn a few silver.

    Santino had settled into a small shack by the docks, doing the occasional days work as a porter, though he was never very good at it and frustrated his employers to no end, or cleaning the ships that came in, scraping barnacles off hulls or untangling lines or sheets.
    It wasn't the greatest life, but he was surviving.
    All that changed one night when, after being invited by some of his casual workmates to join them, he met a lovely blonde barwench. Things had seemed to be going well, she even invited him up to her room which was something he had never thought would happen, when after a few passionate moments, she got up and started throwing things around and screaming.
    Not knowing what to do, Santino got up and tried to restrain her, asking what she was doing. She forced him off and picked up a shard of pottery from the broken vase and slashed her own undergarments to shreds, even going so far as cutting her forehead and cheeks.
    Within moments the tavern strongarms had broken through the door, demanding to know what was happening. The barwench told a sordid tale of abuse and attempted rape. Santino, seeing where this was headed quickly made to leave, only just avoiding the grasps of the bouncers.

    After getting back to his shack he quickly gathered up the few possessions he had and ran.
    He had been running for a few days when he reached this small half-city.
    Finding nowhere else to go that didn't require vastly more gold than he had, Santino decided he would try and find some work here.
    That was three weeks ago. Since he arrived he has not been able to find a permanent job, surviving on scraps when he can't find a days labour.


    Peeking Druid and Sleepy Kitty Avatar by Kurien and Awesome Party banner by Akrim.elf .

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    plaaaaaaaaaaaceeeeeeessss
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fortune's Favor (IC)

    Remembering the look of the foreign-looking folk by the town square's fountain and making a mental note to introduce himself later, Tankerred took a moment to admire the craftsmanship of Defendor's Investigations.

    The stone (despite the oddly wooden exterior) was quite remarkable. And the inlays... his father the blacksmith would have drooled were he here (were it not for his abnormally absorbent beard, of course). And those doors... Tankerred had always marveled at the melding of magic and architecture, even if he didn't always trust arcane means.

    Tankerred walks brusquely but not aggressively up to the man at his desk, and clears his throat lightly (by dwarf standards) so as not to alarm the busy clerk too much.

    Excuse me, good sir. I come to inquire as to the nature of this establishment. I am Father Tankerred Murldom, a Helmite and protector of the everyman, formerly of Mistledale, Neverwinter, and elsewhere. Oh, and I am, of course, at your service. And with that Tankerred bows as much as his armour (always worn out of reverence for Helm) will let him.
    The Journal of Herlam Corkwill - OOC - IC - Dice
    Characters - Varalgo Montessik - Tankerred Murldom

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Kelvin360's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fortune's Favor (IC)

    Santino

    Odds are, the appearance of Defendor Investigations would come as something of a surprise; until hardly even a few days ago, that particular building was vacant. And now, poof. There it was. Rumors abound that the place is enchanted, or worse, cursed.

    Tankerred

    The man glances up at you and calmly slides the paper in his hand to the proper pile ('problems' again). He steeples his hands and speaks in a clear, refined tone.

    "Father Murldom, the pleasure is mine. Welcome to Defendor Investigations, a place which, in answer to your question, is something of a specialized mercenary base. We hire heroes of various sorts to solve the issues others cannot. And helping the helpless as a side goal." He motions to the pile of paper. "However, our current hirelings seem to have been waylaid for some time. Needless to say, this has made our duties...difficult.

    But nevermind that. How may I assist you today?"
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elvish Evoker, as depicted to the left

    Currently Running: Fortune's Favor and The Elements of Power

    Look! Another Heal/Hurt thread!

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    JustPlayItLoud's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Albuquerque
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fortune's Favor (IC)

    Uregaunt walks to the nearest guard. He attempts to speak with the guard in all the languages he knows, some variant of "Hello. Can you understand me?"

    He will try first in Mulhorandi, then Halruaan, then Chessentan, then Untheric. He will skip trying Draconic and ancient Loross, figuring there's basically no chance an average guard would speak them.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Kelvin360's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fortune's Favor (IC)

    Uregaunt

    One of the guards (who ethnically looks at least partly Mulan) mutters 'Hang on, I've got an uncle from Mulhorand, I got this.' to his partner.

    "Bit far from home, aren't you?" He asks you not impolitely in halting Mulhorandi.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elvish Evoker, as depicted to the left

    Currently Running: Fortune's Favor and The Elements of Power

    Look! Another Heal/Hurt thread!

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    JustPlayItLoud's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Albuquerque
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fortune's Favor (IC)

    "Er, yes, actually. Left home to make my own way in the world and all that. Visited an uncle in Berdusk and a family friend in Waterdeep. I'm glad I ran into you. Everywhere else I've been it's taken me much longer to find someone who speaks a common language. I definitely made an interesting choice in coming to the Sword Coast. Do you have family in Mulhorand?"

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    JetThomasBoat's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Iowa
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fortune's Favor (IC)

    Kath looks from the gate with the guards, then over to the Mayoral Office, then back to the gate. He looked down at himself in his dust covered clothes and his strange looking armor. He must look a sight. He didn't remember much from his previous visit, so he wasn't sure how open the town was and he didn't have the money to bribe the guards for entrance into the town so he could get to the inn, which he didn't have money to pay for.

    Maybe the mayor will be sympathetic, thought Kath, turning away from the guards and starting to walk toward the Mayoral Office. He ran a hand across the front of his dirty shark skin armor, but it did little about the dust.

    Guess I'll just have to see how this goes, he mused.
    Thanks to Kymme for my sweet avatar of Bendar Roy, my kick@$$ dwarven rogue.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Kelvin360's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fortune's Favor (IC)

    Uregaunt

    "Used to. Then something about an explosion and feral bats." He seems oddly blunt about it. Either it was a long time ago or he didn't like his uncle very much.

    Kath

    The Mayoral office is nothing fancy, but not a poor place, either. Directly inside, an open doorway leads to a community meeting place, to the right of which are stairs down, and to the right of that is a closed door along a wall with another door (this one open) revealing the Mayor's desk.

    However, the Mayor himself (and an old, bitter-looking woman) is in the middle of the main room, partly through a shouting match.

    "-Thing I can do about it, Chartessa! The guards are not equipped to deal with such situations! You'll simply have to find another home and-"

    "I've been in that cottage since this town was founded, Dannis! I deserve damn well more consideration than the brush of a hand!"

    "I am not brushing you off! The fact remains-"

    "Call that mercenary office, then! Those types have experience or my eyes are pink!"

    "You think I haven't asked?! That place may as well be a mill for all the adventurers they have now! Ever since that first group ran off, it's just decoration! I say again, unless Tymora herself steps down and renders aid, you'll just have to deal with it!

    What do you-?!"
    The Mayor turns angrily to you, still in a shouting tone, then stops himself and grimaces. "Pardon, stranger. You've caught me at a bad time. What can I do for you?"

    "Not much more than he can do for me, I assure you!" The Mayor shoots her a glare, and she harumphs, subsiding into an arm-crossed (yet mercifully silent) scowl.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elvish Evoker, as depicted to the left

    Currently Running: Fortune's Favor and The Elements of Power

    Look! Another Heal/Hurt thread!

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    MonkGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Fortune's Favor (IC)

    Orin stands up gracefully, and collects his pack and staff. Well, I cant let the whole world pass me by while I sit and relax he thinks to himself, I'll have a look at that interesting smelling building over there, then go and find that Dwarvish fellow who was eying me up earlier. Everyone else has been not too subtly ignoring me. I guess I do look like a beggar.
    Orin strolls casually through the crowd, somehow managing to avoid be knocked or jostled. He stops outside the building, admiring the stars on the facade and then enters it.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    JetThomasBoat's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Iowa
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fortune's Favor (IC)

    "Well, Mr. Mayor, I'm bound for Silverymoon, said Kath, feeling a little uncomfortable talking to people like mayors at the best of times, let alone when he was covered in road dust and sweat and grime. "But I left Luskan with a small caravan and some of the other hirelings decided to rob their own caravan. They took every last bit of coin I had and the only thing that saved me from being gutted by them was me being dragged off into the night by a spooked horse."

    He looked down at his clothes again, his dirty armor and boots caked with dried mud. He fiddled with one of the shark's teeth attached to his right wrist guard. "I came in because I figured the guards might take me for something sinister, but I'm just a man trying to make it back to my family," said the archer, shrugging his shoulders. "I'm hungry and tired and filthy and I don't have the coin to remedy any of that. But I'm a hard worker and it sounds like you might have work for me."
    Thanks to Kymme for my sweet avatar of Bendar Roy, my kick@$$ dwarven rogue.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Malak'ai's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012

    Default Re: Fortune's Favor (IC)

    As Santino stumbles out into the main square on his way to the central fountain to have a makeshift wash he passes the bald man in the dirty robe, eyeing him up and down quickly as he tries to nonchalantly step around him.

    Blinking to try and clear some of the crust from his eyes he dips his hand into the cool water, bringing it up and splashing it on his face, Santino starts to rub the dust and grime from around his mouth, flinching at the pain still emanating from from his jaw, That's gunna be annoying for a while he thinks before continuing to clean his face and hands.

    Sitting on the edge of the fountain, Santino looks around him, Now, where would I find some work in this place? Not much going in the way of casual labour in this town.
    As his eyes roam the buildings bordering the square until they come upon the sign with the 'Now Hiring' notice on it, Hmm... That's new... Wonder what it is. Never know, they might need something done. he muses, getting to his feet and walking towards the new establishment.
    Last edited by Malak'ai; 2012-08-06 at 08:21 PM.


    Peeking Druid and Sleepy Kitty Avatar by Kurien and Awesome Party banner by Akrim.elf .

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    JustPlayItLoud's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Albuquerque
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fortune's Favor (IC)

    "I see. Either way, well met friend. My name is Uregaunt, and I'm hoping you might be able to assist me. I've just come from Neverwinter and I'm all out of coin. I was wondering if there were anywhere nearby that might be a good avenue for seeking gainful employment in the field of adventurer-for-hire"

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Kelvin360's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fortune's Favor (IC)

    Kath

    "You have my sympathies for your plight." He says grimly.

    "Hm." He looks you up and down, pondering, stroking his beard. "I suppose employment would depend on your experience with matters of the dead. You see-"

    "A damn ghost is haunting my house!"

    "...That would be the gist, yes."

    Uregaunt

    "Pleasure to meet you, Uregaunt. Name's Verona Timms. Though, ah, most just call me Timms. And this is Marcus, my fellow gate guard." He lingers over Uregaunt's question before answering.

    "Well I certainly wouldn't recommend the guard!" He chuckles merrily. "They don't offer much in the way of benefits, but you know what they say about soldiers in paradise. Although..." He considers the problem for a few more moments, absent-mindedly scratching the top of his helmet. "I've heard a few rumors floating around, if you feel like getting in the Mayor's good books. Apparently that old cow Chartessa-"

    "Eh? What about Chartessa? She take the mickey outta him, too?" Marcus asks in Illuskan.

    "Quiet, I'm trying to help him out, here." Timms swaps to Illuskan, mutters darkly, and swaps back to Mulhorandi. "She's been having problems with her house. She says it's haunted. I say it's just some youngsters out to mess around. Not a popular woman, her. Either way though, you could probably get some coin out of the Mayor from that mess."
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elvish Evoker, as depicted to the left

    Currently Running: Fortune's Favor and The Elements of Power

    Look! Another Heal/Hurt thread!

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Kelvin360's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fortune's Favor (IC)

    Orin

    Wind chimes jingle as you enter, though there don't appear to be any chimes. Odd.

    The walls are adorned with various plants, trophies, fetishes, and runestones. None of them appear to be having a visible effect, but common sense is probably telling you not to test any.

    From the front door, the entrance leads down a hallway about twenty feet to a half-circle shaped desk made to seem as though it sprang from the wall behind it. Another hall leads to the right to a door.

    A very wild-looking man behind the counter is fiddling with about three devices at once (how, you've no idea), and triple-takes when he sees you.

    "A customer? Oh me-oh-my-oh-my. Didn't prepare for such things! Not an eventuality! Not to say the things that were or was were where they was, or perhaps was not where they were! Heh heh." He hops down off a stool and opens a small door into the counter, stepping out and leaning against the other side. It seems, now you've a clear view, that he is in fact a gnome. Go figure.

    "What can I do ya fer', as is custom?"
    Last edited by Kelvin360; 2012-08-06 at 02:36 PM.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elvish Evoker, as depicted to the left

    Currently Running: Fortune's Favor and The Elements of Power

    Look! Another Heal/Hurt thread!

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    MonkGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Fortune's Favor (IC)

    Orin steps into the shop and inhales deeply. He looks around the shop in wonder. So many amazing things! I wonder what they're all for?

    Before he can start to browse the wonderful shop, the creature behind the counter starts gibbering and rushes out. As the Gnome comes out from behind his counter, Orin grins and thinks What a day! I've seen my first Dwarf and my first Gnome, I should have ventured out sooner.

    After the gnome finishes speaking, Orin replies "Ah, I was going to ask you the same thing, I'm new in town, and am looking for something to do. Do you have anything that could use an extra pair of hands, or know of anyone that could?"

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    JustPlayItLoud's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Albuquerque
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fortune's Favor (IC)

    "Well met Timms! I hope to see you around again if I spend any deal of time here. If I could just bend your ear for a moment longer, whereabouts would I be heading should I want an audience with the mayor? And is there someone there I should speak to that might be able to assist me with my, er, communication problem?"

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Kelvin360's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fortune's Favor (IC)

    Orin

    "Pair of hands? Well I suppose if I were working on a golem thsoe would be a necessary peice...I've never met anyone who volunteered those!

    ...Wait. Ah! You speak in a metaphorical sense! Yes yes. Well, how long have you practiced artificing, magical theory, and magical spellcraft?"


    Uregaunt

    "The Mayor's office is just...ah, just there." Timms points to the door that just closed from Kath's entry. "As for help with language, you might try...ah..." He turns to his companion and switches to Illuskan again.

    "Hey, what's the name of that crazy gnome?"

    "Dinatrescabrokensandsandasanemanssarcophagus or something."

    "Right." And once more with Mulhorandi. "There's a gnome magical expert who runs an arcane shop over near the fountain. Stars over the door, smells like nothing else, can't miss it. His name is impossible, so we just call him Din-Din. He can probably help. Or he might turn your tongue into a beagle. You never know with gnomes."
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elvish Evoker, as depicted to the left

    Currently Running: Fortune's Favor and The Elements of Power

    Look! Another Heal/Hurt thread!

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    GnomePirate

    Join Date
    Feb 2011

    Default Re: Fortune's Favor (IC)

    Elias Dure strides into the town square with the purposeful air of someone beginning a journey. A reasonably observant watcher might notice the newness of his garb and equipment (except the cloak, which is well-worn but has not lost its midnight blue color to sun and time) and conclude that he has not been traveling for long. It would take an extremely observant (indeed nigh telepathic) watcher to divine his worries from the slight furrow of his brow: he is fretting over whether the last of his gold might have been better spent on extra rations, rather than those potent cure potions he hopes he won't have to use.
    He sighs, adjusts the straps of his pack, and glances contemplatively around the square.

    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (local) check regarding Defendor Investigations: (1d20+7)[20]

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    plaaaaaaaaaaaceeeeeeessss
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fortune's Favor (IC)

    It seems I have found myself in the right place, sir. First, I would be most interested to learn of what has befallen your other hirelings... Nothing too serious I hope? Other than that, I am ready and willing to take up whatever task you folk deem me worthy of. I am here, after all, to prove my usefulness to the innocent.

    At this, Tankerred realizes he's being long winded, and stops to clear his throat. About to continue on about his quest, his faith, and the other default topics his stubborn dwarf mind resorts to, he instead waits for the human to respond to his inquiry, blushing invisibly beneath his red beard.
    The Journal of Herlam Corkwill - OOC - IC - Dice
    Characters - Varalgo Montessik - Tankerred Murldom

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Kelvin360's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fortune's Favor (IC)

    Elias

    Spoiler
    Show
    Result -

    As much a mystery as this new company is to the locals, you do know some specifics.

    It seems to be a company of sorts dedicated to the promotion of welfare in the face of supernatural and hostile threats, headed in this location by a strange man who calls himself 'The Messenger'.

    Not even a few hours after the base of operations building appeared, six adventurers went inside and presumeably found a quest, because they left in high spirits shortly after. And then disappeared off the face of the Toril. This led to the common (misconception) that the place was cursed, and aside from mayor-endorsed letters sent in about various problems of an extraordinary nature, everyone's given the place a wide berth.

    Unfortunately, this has left the Investigative Office with a very short supply of adventurers and a very high supply of problems. Several townsfolk have already asked for 'The Messenger' to be evicted. The Mayor, however, seems oddly stalwart in their defense.


    Tankerred

    "What happened to them is exactly what I would like to know. As far as I and my contacts can tell, they don't even exist anymore.

    Admittedly I do have an overabundance of fieldwork here...though...how much experience do you have with such things, if you don't mind me asking?"
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elvish Evoker, as depicted to the left

    Currently Running: Fortune's Favor and The Elements of Power

    Look! Another Heal/Hurt thread!

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    JustPlayItLoud's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Albuquerque
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fortune's Favor (IC)

    "Thanks again, I appreciate all your assistance. You've been a great help."

    Making note of the location of the mayor's office, Uregaunt walks to the magic shop he noticed earlier. He politely knocks, opens the door, and enters the shop.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Kelvin360's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fortune's Favor (IC)

    Uregaunt

    Shop Description Reposted
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wind chimes jingle as you enter, though there don't appear to be any chimes. Odd.

    The walls are adorned with various plants, trophies, fetishes, and runestones. None of them appear to be having a visible effect, but common sense is probably telling you not to test any.

    From the front door, the entrance leads down a hallway about twenty feet to a half-circle shaped desk made to seem as though it sprang from the wall behind it. Another hall leads to the right to a door.


    Orin and the gnome are in the midst of their conversation as you come in.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elvish Evoker, as depicted to the left

    Currently Running: Fortune's Favor and The Elements of Power

    Look! Another Heal/Hurt thread!

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    JustPlayItLoud's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Albuquerque
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fortune's Favor (IC)

    Uregaunt walks into the main area, keeping a polite distance from the conversation. If the gnome looks up to acknowledge him, he'll briefly raise his hand and nod in greeting. He will then browse the goods in the shop while waiting for the conversation to wrap up.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    GnomePirate

    Join Date
    Feb 2011

    Default Re: Fortune's Favor (IC)

    Elias remains still for a few seconds, weighing the disturbing rumors against the commendable ethos of the establishment -- but comes to a decision by weighing his empty coin purse against the "Now Hiring" sign. He strides up to the door of the Investigations building and goes in.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •