New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Outside XXXII

[Ancient Temple]

Irena stares at the group and quickly seem to make a decision once she starts to reach for the staff laying next to her. One of the members of the group notices the moment however and steps forward and cast a spell against the two.

A small cloud of magical sleep powder will manifest upon the two which will cause them to fall asleep unless they manage to dodge it or resist the effect.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground

[Ancient Temple]

Nadia doesn't have a chance to react to the sleep powder, and will soon be out cold.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Troll in the Playground

Fortress Mountain- Inside

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdEmperor View Post
    Well, congrats Erin. You've just waltzed into the private lab of the foremost pathologist in the Nexus and smashed a couple of 'empty' tanks. One can only hope those strains weren't resistant to burning, otherwise...

...let's just say Riv's a very nasty person with an unhealthy amount of imagination when it comes to killing people.

The smashed tanks are, well, smashed tanks. Broken skeletons of metal, wreathed in chemical smoke and dripping with liquified plastics. Some kind of burnt residue clings to the larger fragments, no doubt the culture in which Riv's creations festered.

Oh, and what's that noise in the background? Sounds like a lift is on it's way.
    ((Er...my syntax wasn't precise. She didn't smash or fireball the tanks. Instead she floated over to investigate what they are before doing so...))

Fortress Mountain- Outside

And the answer is, no, no he cannot.

Reasoning that it worked before, Francium presses another random button.
    The display on the HUD shifts a little, pointing to a location with a red dot and more Alteran language pointing to it!

...now, if he can read Latin, he might be able to start making heads or tails of the strange alien script...

...and also (so that this doesn't drag on with random button-pushing ), if he's thinking something along the lines of 'I need to fly this thing', he might find the Jumper lifting into the air.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

4. - Top - End - #334

Fortress Mountain- Inside

((Ah. Misread that as 'pauses for a second before destroying the tanks' instead of 'pauses and investigates the tanks before doing anything rash'.))

Sturdy metal forms the skeleton of the tank with thick plastic panels on five of six sides providing windows by which to observe it's contents. Underneath is mounted a cluster of pipes, canisters and valves, while presently sealed access ports running the top of the frame allow for the introduction of various antibiotics, chemicals and nutrients as the experiment demands, a row of three buttons, green blue and red, along the right-hand side activating unknown functions.

Now that Erin's up close she'll see that the tanks are not in fact as empty as they appeared, a shallow layer of microbiological medium filling the very bottom. Whether or not any miniature monstrosities lurk within is unknown, unless she happens to have microscopes for eyes.

And in the background, there's still the rumble of an approaching lift.

Fortress Mountain- Outside

Nope, can't read Latin either. Linguistics is another one of those things you never really bother with in an isolated hivemind.

But he is quite preoccupied with the thought of how bad he's toasted if he can't get this thing working, so presumably it takes off regardless!

At which point his thought process abruptly switches to 'Oh gods oh gods oh gods I have no idea what I'm doing how do I fly this thing I don't want to die!'
    Meese Mobster by smuchmuch.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Orc in the Playground

Sznovf- Wizard Tower

What possible use is there in an obvious trap? Oh, right, distracting people from the less-obvious traps.

Anyway, the tome is magical, but it doesn't seem to be a harmful magic; it's the kind that ensures the knowledge it imparts is there when it is needed but equally shields the mind from any trauma the knowledge may cause by keeping it hidden amongst the folds of memory until that time.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

6. - Top - End - #336
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Sznovf - Wizard's Tower]

Cass flips through the tome without much scrutiny. She's pretty much only looking for any pictures or drawings of the machine.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Orc in the Playground

Sznovf- Wizard's Tower

There is a chapter on machines to prolong life beyond its natural length, but that's not what is needed- Brian is dead. There's another chapter about lichdom; should Cassidy find herself mortally wounded with no other recourse, she may suddenly remember through the magic of the book how to remove her soul and store it outside her body. The technique she learns if that is the case is not effective against old age, and regardless of whether the information stays within Cassidy's subconscious mind or not when the final page of the chapter is turned Cassidy shouldn't remember any of it. The last chapter deals with magical devices to reanimate the dead and force some semblance of life and the majority of their intellect, knowledge and experiences back into their decaying, once-mortal body. No images, however; the creation of the device is very complex, and all available space is given over to the description of how to build it, maintain it, power it and control the energy flow correctly. Fortunately, a detailed reading will give adequate instructions on how to destroy it by warning of the danger posed by getting the energy flow wrong and how to ensure it's working correctly.

8. - Top - End - #338

Cass grumbles at the tome. No pictures or anything, this was clearly not worth her time. She exits the library and that particular part of the caravan, unless interrupted somehow.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Orc in the Playground

Sznovf- Wizard's Tower

Well, there's still the hatch in the floor and another door, one with a marble frame. Though it's still a portal in space (and maybe time) to a distant cavern deep within a mountain and sealed from the outside world. The same is probably true of the hatch, too, seeing as to how it's in the floor of a wooden caravan atop a rickety tower of scaffolding beams and pipes with no sign of a hatch opening beneath it.

10. - Top - End - #340

Cass sighs and heads through the marble door. Whenever this was over, she would be going to some cheap bar and drinking all the scotch. Maybe she'd get into a fight too.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Orc in the Playground

Sznovf- Wizard's Tower

Beyond the door is a long corridor with eighteen small, cramped cells on either side. There's a doorway at the end beyond which lies a spiral ramp.

Every cell contains a humanoid of some description, aged anywhere from eight to thirty five, or a similar age in relation to humanity. All of the humanoids show signs of being experimented upon; a young elf in the nearest cell on the left has a line of stitches up his chest and his left arm glows with runes carved into the bone, through the skin and muscle. The nearest cell on the right has a human child chained to the wall as she shrieks and howls, unable to move her limbs. The chains are thick, heavy and look hard to move, yet they creak and shift when she sees Cassidy and tries to pounce. Her teeth are exposed; her cheeks and lips have been removed.

12. - Top - End - #342

Cass starts to walk down the corridor, looking at the two people nearest her. She looks at the elf first, then the young child. Even though she's chained, Cass jumps and lets out a curse when she cries out. She keeps a her SMG on hand as she continues.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Orc in the Playground

Sznovf- Wizard's Tower

The next two are the head of an orc staring lifelessly forward in a jar of liquid hooked up to complex machinery, until he sees Cassidy and starts frantically speaking in orcish; it's a soundproof jar, and he's speaking quickly in a language I don't know if Cassidy can speak. But it's still rather clear he's asking for a bullet. Opposite are two elves that have had their legs chopped off and have been sewn together at the stumps; they aren't wearing much, and one is female. The male is probably dead; he's not breathing.

The next cell has something, it's unclear what, covered in scars and burns. One bright, blue eye stares out of a ruined face with its mouth sewn up; it's fed through a tube entering its throat and its nose and ears have been removed. Opposite is a man with a grossly distended belly that writhes with something inside; he's clearly in pain, but can't speak past the gag forced into his mouth.

The next cell has a woman whose limbs have been amputated and replaced in the wrong places; her head has been sewn onto her right thigh, which is protruding from her upper torso. Opposite is a man who slowly blinks, despite the fact his body has mummified and is undeniably dead flesh.

The other cells contain similarly horribly changed people. They have either been driven insane by cruel illusion spells, hideously transfigured by alteration magic, show the scars of battle-spells or have been partially killed and reanimated by necromancy. Or, worse, mix the worst parts of several magical disciplines.

14. - Top - End - #344

Default Re: [Nexus] Outside XXXII:His fat cushioned the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahonri Violist View Post
    A Popular Mountainside Village

The member of the Black Society has his eyes opened!
    Really wide.

Then, he closes his eyes, really fast, not wanting to see himself die. He was too scared to be able to yell out something or cry or scream as he died..he just fell in silence.

Meanwhile, Upstairs

Harley decides that right now would be the time to bail. She quickly RUNS to another room which has an open window, and squeezes her way out. She doesn't want to run into any pesky adventurers who might decide to investigate.

She climbs out the window, and hides, camouflaging herself.
    Repost? (I think.)

15. - Top - End - #345
    Troll in the Playground

{Melody's Island- Barn}

Quote Originally Posted by McBish View Post
    "No I didn't I had it wrapped up in the shirt. I didn't want to leave it in my tent so I grabbed it and brought it to show you. It was laying next to me when I woke up and it definitly was not there when I went to sleep.

I'm guessing this has something to do with the scream I heard this morning."
    I was just hoping you hadn't accidently touched it. Melody says, smiling. If you would keep it steady. Hopefully I can get a reading on who the killer is. she closes her eyes, her hand hovering over the blade.

Even if he doesn't have a magic sense, Derek may still see threads begin to weave themselves out of Melody's mind, twist around her hand, and wrap themselves about the knife.

{Feed the Refugees}

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    Since he teleports back Vincent sets up a strategy in which he'll feed the first and the last and then the second and then second to last and so on and so forth until he's fully finished in the middle. This way all his timing is consistent and roughly the same each go through.

Aside from some early spilling and one particularly bad botch where he was carrying three servings and choose his head and spilled soup all over the refugee, things go pretty smoothly. All in all, each trip takes an average of 15 seconds, making an average of 30 seconds per kettle as he always grabs servings in such a way to make it two trips per kettle (unless Caroline drops a lot and there are only three servings in one of the kettles. Then Vincent only makes takes all of the servings in a single trip). He loses roughly 20-30 seconds from inefficiencies and mistakes that were mentioned above.
    I'm horrible at maths ().

Spoiler
    Show
    It takes Caroline about 30 to 35 seconds to make each kettle of soup. Each kettle can feed five villagers, if not spilled. There is enough ingredients to make 22 kettles, feeding 110 refugees.

She spills once, the first time, and loses a whole batch during her third run. But after that, a strange even occurs. Catoline takes over when running the kettle to Vincent's position (btw, the kettles disappear after Vincent removes the last of the soup), only to shift back to Caroline to make the soup. Not a single drop is spilled by Catoline.

Caroline does make one batch of bad food, trying a desperate combination of Cabbage, Octopus, and Sugar. Who knew it didn't go well together.

So, 22 kettles of food are prepared. 1 kettle is lost to Caroline's total fumble. 1 bowl is lost due to Vincent's initial spill, 1 bowl is spilled on a refugee; making him upset, & 5 refugees are poisoned.

It takes and average of 35 seconds for Caroline to make and deliver the kettle, and Vincent 30 seconds to deliver the four to five bowls..... So, it takes them about 13 minutes and 33 seconds to play the game?

Good thing we didn't RP this out.

Let's see.... With 8 minutes 30 seconds being a perfect score, and the poisoning and dumping on of 6 refugees....

They get the average prize.

A Smurf Plushie!!

They also were lucky and didn't poison or dump on one of the two "distinguished" refugees. So they get 10,000 gp.

Lexington III, my Brute. Inner Circle. ! Melody

16. - Top - End - #346
    Dwarf in the Playground

{Melody's Island- Barn}

Derek often can sense magic he doesn't understand, so seeing the threads comes as no real surprise to him. He holds it out making sure the shirt stays between him and the knife. He sure hopes her magic works and they can clear up the whole mess. Being a trader he often was an outsider, and blame easily fell on the outsider. He had heard stories of traders who got blamed for crimes while visiting cities, it rarely turned out well for the trader.
    Check out My Writing
    New
    prestige class

Thanks for the Nude Avatar MethosHazara

Poem by me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The stars glimmer
    and I can't help
    but wonder.
    Do they cry on those worlds,
    to?

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

{Feed the Refugees}

Whoo! Moneys!

Oh and a plush doll. Hmmm... didn't seem to have stats.
    Might be a gift type thing.

"Hey Caroline, I got you this smurf doll." Vincent says, giving her the plushie they just won.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

18. - Top - End - #348

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Sznovf- Wizard's Tower

The next two are the head of an orc staring lifelessly forward in a jar of liquid hooked up to complex machinery, until he sees Cassidy and starts frantically speaking in orcish; it's a soundproof jar, and he's speaking quickly in a language I don't know if Cassidy can speak. But it's still rather clear he's asking for a bullet. Opposite are two elves that have had their legs chopped off and have been sewn together at the stumps; they aren't wearing much, and one is female. The male is probably dead; he's not breathing.

The next cell has something, it's unclear what, covered in scars and burns. One bright, blue eye stares out of a ruined face with its mouth sewn up; it's fed through a tube entering its throat and its nose and ears have been removed. Opposite is a man with a grossly distended belly that writhes with something inside; he's clearly in pain, but can't speak past the gag forced into his mouth.

The next cell has a woman whose limbs have been amputated and replaced in the wrong places; her head has been sewn onto her right thigh, which is protruding from her upper torso. Opposite is a man who slowly blinks, despite the fact his body has mummified and is undeniably dead flesh.

The other cells contain similarly horribly changed people. They have either been driven insane by cruel illusion spells, hideously transfigured by alteration magic, show the scars of battle-spells or have been partially killed and reanimated by necromancy. Or, worse, mix the worst parts of several magical disciplines.
    Cass thinks she might be able to understand the orc, but it doesn't seem to be Or`zet, so no going there. Given the circumstances, though, she's pretty sure she know what the poor guy wants. She takes careful aim through the cell door and fires a single round, hoping to mercy kill him.

She can't progress through the rest of the corridor, however. The sights prove to be far too much for her, and she just runs back out of the corridor. When she reaches the door, she falls to one knee and vomits on the floor. She takes a few moments to recover.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahonri Violist View Post
    A Popular Mountainside Village

The member of the Black Society has his eyes opened!
    Really wide.

Then, he closes his eyes, really fast, not wanting to see himself die. He was too scared to be able to yell out something or cry or scream as he died..he just fell in silence.

Meanwhile, Upstairs

Harley decides that right now would be the time to bail. She quickly RUNS to another room which has an open window, and squeezes her way out. She doesn't want to run into any pesky adventurers who might decide to investigate.

She climbs out the window, and hides, camouflaging herself.
    The Agent puts his revolver away. His Punishment was delivered, so it was time to move on. He turns around and walks back through the tunnels upstairs. Unless interrupted, he will leave the shop and head to the inn.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Troll in the Playground

{Melody's Island- Barn}

Derek often can sense magic he doesn't understand, so seeing the threads comes as no real surprise to him. He holds it out making sure the shirt stays between him and the knife. He sure hopes her magic works and they can clear up the whole mess. Being a trader he often was an outsider, and blame easily fell on the outsider. He had heard stories of traders who got blamed for crimes while visiting cities, it rarely turned out well for the trader.
    I... can't see a face. But I can feel her emotions. She's upset... A betrayal.

Melody opens her eyes and looks at Derek. Thank you. This helps a lot. and she turns to leave.

Jezebelle takes her place and makes to lean up against Derek with a sigh.

{Feed the Refugees}

Whoo! Moneys!

Oh and a plush doll. Hmmm... didn't seem to have stats.
    Might be a gift type thing.

"Hey Caroline, I got you this smurf doll." Vincent says, giving her the plushie they just won.
    She looks just like Melody!! Caroline takes the doll and hugs it, knowing full well that they'd just won it together. And look! I think we have enough money to get the sword and the dress.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ogre in the Playground

{Feed the Refugees}

Raising the affection meter... success.

"And not leave us dead broke anyways." Vincent will open up the store again and sell the two coin purse accessories before buying the sword and dress and several potions of various types.

That is, so long as the Melody store is still around.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Orc in the Playground

Sznovf- Wizard's Tower

The bullet puts a hole through the glass jar and another through the orc's head, and then another hole in the back of the glass. The liquid within is stained red by the orc's blood before pouring out of the holes onto the cell floor. It fizzes when it hits the floor, but doesn't eat through it.

When she reaches the entrance to the corridor, there's a crunch and a thud. The feral child has pulled the chain from her left wrist from the wall, and she's working on freeing her right wrist by prising the shackle open. It's working.

22. - Top - End - #352

Cass remains where she is, shaking. She doesn't stand until she hears the chain breaking. Cass tries to get through the hidden hatch. She's not going to kill a kid, feral or not. That isn't how she runs the shadows.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Orc in the Playground

Sznovf- Wizard Tower

Through the hatch, Cassidy finds it opens out into a chamber where, initially, everything seems upside down. However, this is an illusion caused by the fact the hatch leads through a portal to a hatch in the floor of some other place.

Anyway, within the chamber is a complex arrangement of tubes and pipes, linking several different strange devices including a jar of bubbling liquid that seems to defy gravity, a small brass boiler with six whistles and vents emitting an odd, green mist that curls around the chamber's floor and falls through the hatch when it is opened (it smells of mint and rotten eggs), a large, purple D20 that is apparently powering the machine given it's the one from the bus and an ornate stone sarcophagus crawling with mystic, nausea-inducing runes. Several clockwork monkeys scamper around, tampering with the different parts of the machine. None are brass, and only some have wings. Most are silver, but three gold monkeys with two tails and far more complex joints than the other monkeys seem to be leading. When Cassidy appears, four monkeys made of polished titanium with a shield welded to their left arm and a sword connected straight to the wrist. Five more, slightly different, accompany each of the gold monkeys; those models lack the shields but have armour plating that is obviously thicker and carry a small halberd instead of a sword.

24. - Top - End - #354

Cass is a little disoriented at first, but gets to examining the monkeys. Was that titanium? Odd choice for armour, but her smaller weapons wouldn't get through. She reminds herself to buy some AP rounds as she pulls out her assault rifle and stands up, looking for another body. She planned to put the wizard's body next to the machine and blow them both up with the Panzerfaust.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Orc in the Playground

Sznovf- Wizard's Tower

It looks like something heavy was dragged across the floor from a pool of blood and then placed into the sarcophagus with the nausea-inducing runes crawling across its surface, but there's no sign of a body. Unless it's in the sarcophagus, anyway.

The titanium monkeys are slowly approaching, with their shields held cautiously in front, their eyes peering over. They have their swords ready to strike, too, though they're too far away to attack at the moment.

Also, if Cassidy's smaller weapons can't penetrate the titanium armour, then surely it's superior the the brass casings belonging to most of the others?

26. - Top - End - #356
    Troll in the Playground

{Feed the Refugees}

Raising the affection meter... success.

"And not leave us dead broke anyways." Vincent will open up the store again and sell the two coin purse accessories before buying the sword and dress and several potions of various types.

That is, so long as the Melody store is still around.
    The store is still open. A Plot Clone of Melody stands there still, smiling as she waits for them to leave the store.

Spoiler
    Show
    {table=head]Item|Price|In Stock
    Minor Potion of Healing|50gp|100
    Potion of Healing|100gp|25
    Major Potion of Healing|150gp|5
    Antidote|25gp|100
    Used Hoe|2gp|1
    Fish|3gp|15
    Stew|3gp|4
    Bucket|1gp|1
    Fishing Rod|5gp|3
    Ribbon|75gp|4
    Fairy Dress|15000gp|1
    Flaming Hawt Sword|25000gp|1
    [/table]

Oh! Can we get a Ribbon as well?

Selling the Coin Purses gets them 2,000 gp each. Before buying the Sword and Dress, they had 52,150 gp. Leaving them with 12,150 gp after buying those two items.
    Last edited by Lex-Kat; 2012-08-14 at 05:04 PM.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Dwarf in the Playground

{Melody's Island- Barn}

Derek will let Melody take the knife if she wants, otherwise he wraps it up in his shirt and tucks it in the back of his pants. He will happily let Jezebelle lean up against him, wrapping his arms around her.

"Well this morning sucked."

At least it seems to be getting better and not worse.
    Check out My Writing
    New
    prestige class

Thanks for the Nude Avatar MethosHazara

Poem by me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The stars glimmer
    and I can't help
    but wonder.
    Do they cry on those worlds,
    to?

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ogre in the Playground

{Feed the Refugees}

"Sure."
    Vincent looks over the store real quick.

Before buying ALL THE ITEMS. Every one.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

29. - Top - End - #359
    Troll in the Playground

{Melody's Island- Barn}

Derek will let Melody take the knife if she wants, otherwise he wraps it up in his shirt and tucks it in the back of his pants. He will happily let Jezebelle lean up against him, wrapping his arms around her.

"Well this morning sucked."

At least it seems to be getting better and not worse.
    It did. she looked up at him. But it's looking better. At least Melody has a lead. And you didn't touch the knife, so there was no uncertainty. she wraps her arms around him, or attempts to. I can cook us a breakfast now. she says, going to lay her head back against him.

{Feed the Refugees}

"Sure."
    Vincent looks over the store real quick.

Before buying ALL THE ITEMS. Every one.
    That leaves 1,025 gp, which I'm sure you already calculated.

This leaves Caroline confused. I understand the potions, even the fish and stew. And maybe even one or two fishing rods. But what's up with the bucket and used hoe? And who's the other three Ribbons for? Caroline claps her hands over her mouth after Catoline says that last part.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground

{Feed the Refugees}

"I don't know, but it's better to have them in our inventory. Ribbons are like... the best accessory ever. Immunity to status effects? HELL YES. So wearing one." He was shocked they were so cheap. And you never know when you're going to get another party member.

"Though I guess we probably didn't need all the antidotes anymore..." Ribbons are nice like that.

He glances over at Caroline. "You ok?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast