New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Outside XXXII

[Lake Lazuli]

"Hmmm... perhaps the word I'm looking for is delightful. Or exciting." Good probably isn't the right word for it.

"Do you wish to take bets on how many souls and devils escape their prison today?"

Cause, you know, when there's a gaping hole to hell, that's the first thing that should be done. Bets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Troll in the Playground

[The Lost Wave]

Quote Originally Posted by McBish View Post
    You can never be to careful with bouncy energy, this is the lesson Flubber taught us.

Derek sets about the boat getting the digny up and attached to the boat, and getting the boat underway and out to sea.

"No I didn't see any parrorts or peg legs. These weren't very picturesque pirates. Very dirty, very smelly, and very mean. I did my best to avoid them and got away from them as soon as possible. Something I suggest you do as well if you ever run into any pirates."

He doesn't like talking about his time captured by pirates, essecially not with little girls. A little bit of the pain he remembers can be heard in his voice if you are good at picking up things like that. Hopefully he hides it well enough so Lyanna doesn't pick up on it.
    Lyanna quickly nods three times. Yes sir! she says, still smiling. It doesn't seem she noticed the pain in his voice at all.

Estia just continues staring out at the sea. If Reinholdt was here, he'd just fly us over.

Reinholdt!! Ooooh, I wish he was here. He has such good cookies.

It seems that is something both girls agree on, as Estia turns and smiles at her sister. Yeah. I especially like the chocolate chip ones.

The conversation has now flipped to Reinholdt and his magnificent cookie baking skills.

Lexington III, my Brute. Inner Circle. ! Melody

3. - Top - End - #873
    Dwarf in the Playground

[The Lost Wave]

"Your mother had mentioned Reinholdt. Though she failed to mention that he was a good baker, and could fly. Seems like quite the cat.

Soon enough they are under way as he raises up the sails and they start heading towards the mainland.
    Check out My Writing
    New
    prestige class

Thanks for the Nude Avatar MethosHazara

Poem by me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The stars glimmer
    and I can't help
    but wonder.
    Do they cry on those worlds,
    to?

4. - Top - End - #874
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lake Lazuli

Oh, I wouldn't say the invisibility dome was entirely useless. Some organizations aren't lucky enough to have constant surveillance on the whole Nexus or Raven's bizarre knack for just being around whenever important stuff happens.

At the very least it's managed to thoroughly confound Excelsior's agents, who've only had the crudest directions to the project and might never have found it at all, were it not for the hellfire and brimstone lighting the place up like infernal fireworks.

Of course, it's a bit late to go through with operation 'Kidnap some scientists and steal the drill' now, so they must be content to merely observe the carnage from a nearby hillside, laughing to each other with destructive glee each time something's destroyed in a particularly spectacular manner.

Pleasant Meadow

Meanwhile, miles away in a peaceful little meadow, flanked on all sides by steep hills, a second assault is gearing up.

Two portals tear their way into existence here, interrupting the frolicking of the cute little woodland critters and sending them fleeting for their lives in all directions. A scaly green hand grips the edge of the portal, followed by an equally green leg thudding down into the dirt, then finally with tremendous effort Markus pulls his full bulk through the rift, tilting his ugly reptilian mug upwards to sniff the air for the scent of hidden watchers.

Finding none he steps aside and Day follows him through the portal with somewhat less difficulty, proceeding a half-dozen Einherjar soldiers marching through in full battle-gear. At the same time the other portal spits out four masked and armored battlemages, floating weightlessly through the air with a bevy of mechanical components and curved metal plates hovering along beside them.

On cue they all begin to work, riveting and assembling in an eerie silence broken only by the dully monotonous hum of their tools, even the birdsong gone from the air now with all the merry little featherbrains scared away. Within a scant thirty minutes their job is done; A crude artillery cannon has been built in the center of the meadow, a wide barrel of matte gray propped up at acute angle by struts driven into the ground. The ammo lies beside it, a large store of boulders accumulated from the surrounding areas via Markus's immense strength.

Everything in readiness, Day, Markus and the battlemages depart in the same way they arrived, leaving the soldiers behind to defend and load the cannon.
    Meese Mobster by smuchmuch.

5. - Top - End - #875
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Attacked Village- Canyon

Fortunately for the gnome, the water and slapping works. After gasping in shock, he looks around and glowers at Esruc. He doesn't say anything, not yet anyway.
    [Attacked Village- Canyon]

"Now that you're awake, you mind telling me why you darted my horse?" Esruc gives an intimidating glare. *roll* *roll* natural 20! yeah, that was a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    [Mana Gathering]

"Get behind me so that you're not in the way if they attack," Jakus says, readying his maul. If they get too close, he'll be ready to break some faces.
    "You want me to do anything specific or do I get to do my own thing?" Surt asks Jakus.
    Last edited by Surtr; 2012-09-19 at 01:09 PM.
    Boredom is a double-edged sword. Oh yeah I made character entries in the character directory wanna see?

Spoiler
    Show

From Left to Right: Surtr, Narve

6. - Top - End - #876
    Orc in the Playground

Attacked Village- Canyon

The gnome keeps his mouth closed, and continues to glower.

I'm only barely aware of what 'natural 20' even means. I bought my first DnD books second-hand last year, and I've only ever played one DnD game. It died before the party hit second level.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

7. - Top - End - #877

[Mana Gathering]

As the band of ogres approaches one of them steps in front of the ground and slams his club in the ground so hard the cliff they're standing on shakes slightly causing the icicles underneath to fall off.

"Why puny people be in our ring?"

Jallyn steps out from behind Jakus, "We're conducting a mana accumulation actually. The process is rather fascinating, first-"

"I not speak to tiny person! We'll smash you!"

"Now that's just enforcing negative racial stero-"

"Raaah!" The ogre steps forward and raises the club above his head in an attempt to smash the tiny goblin.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2012-09-19 at 03:29 PM.

8. - Top - End - #878
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [Lake Lazuli]

On would think that between the draining of a lake, the transportation of untold people and materials, and the construction of a huge tower that a dome of silence and invisibility to try to hide it after the fact would be somewhat silly.

Obviously such an operation would be spied by the MagSat at the very least. Though whether or not Magtok would feel inclined to do anything with this information is another question completely.

But aside from the cyborg overlord?

Well.

Plenty of people are always lurking about waiting for a sign of another crazy venture. Another insane attempt to 'Take over the world!' or some such. In this case the lurking individual is a girl in a rather unnerving looking patchwork coat, a hood reminiscent of a beaked carrion bird extending past her face and leaving her features shadowed.

For the time being?

She's simply sitting on a rock outcrop some distance away.

Watching.

Waiting.

For what?

Only time will tell.
    The young woman in the carrion bird mask will be able to notice the massive towers invisible bubble disappear. The cultists and Louv're Riot guards had already prepared for this possibility. The Serpentine Acolyte cultits, about 40 as a whole, are scrambling to a circular grouping on top of the tower, The Grandfather in the middle on a pedestal, overlooking the place. Mr. Brant had been speaking from the little office inside the tower. He dropped his little coffee mug when he saw the hole into Hell erupt. His glasses almost fall off his face, and the forty-eight year old engineer leader is making a run for the stairs down. He makes it down miraculously, and will start running across the place, screaming his head off...desperately running for the forest. He knew working for Marciano would be a test...but this was not in his contract! He'll run right up to the carrion-masked woman, and probably run right into her in terror.

Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    Lazuli Lake

General Elshika wastes no time. As the explosion fades, she orders her spell-casters to begin. Glowing ladders materialize all around the hole, and the armies of Hell begin climbing them as if they were attacking a castle. Except with air support.

That's always nice.
    The Grandfather begins to float in the air. He looks very much upset, though it's hard to look upset under a red and darker red robe of runes. Red runes float around his body, and the other cultists begin to move their arms wildly, as though readying a spell of some kind, the drill is lying right in the hole, so it would be rather hard to climb up it I think...Especially if it was turned on, which is exactly what the cultists are doing, soon the massive drill will begin to turn wildly and drill even deeper, bringing the assaulting demons down too most likely, however that's not for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    [Lake Lazuli]

A swirling cloud of red dust swoops down from the sky and hovers near the girl on the rock, twisting and writhing every which way.

"Waiting for the good part?" It hisses out, its voices oily and sinister. Not that it particularly needs an answer from MHF. The good part was the only reason to be here today.
    Off course, he'll see Head Professor Brant flailing wildly too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Deep View Post
    Lazuli Lake

In the 6th circle of hell, war is a big deal. It is The Big Deal, in fact. Lots of devils want to make their marks on it, something that will be remembered forever.

One in particular has succeeded. It may not be the most amazing tactition, the most ruthless general, but all who know what it is want to know where it is at all times.

The Hericlax.

No one knows where it came from. No one knows whose side it's on. No one knows what it really wants. No one knows why it sings.

Isn't it rich?
    Are we a pair?
    Me here at last on the ground,
    You in mid-air.
    Send in the clowns.

A single tentacle, a black that pulls in light, segmented armor, with a sharp drill tip on the end, emerges from the ground, a good ways away from the tower.

Isn't it bliss?
    Don't you approve?
    One who keeps tearing around,
    One who can't move.
    Where are the clowns?
    Send in the clowns.

Three more tentacles come up. Each one is easily a hundred meters tall. The ground is rumbling, a deep doom, that makes most mortal hearts tremble in fear.

Just when I'd stopped opening doors,
    Finally knowing the one that I wanted was yours,
    Making my entrance again with my usual flair,
    Sure of my lines,
    No one is there.

More of the great tentacles breach the ground, forming the points on a nine-pointed star.

Don't you love farce?
    My fault I fear.
    I thought that you'd want what I want.
    Sorry, my dear.
    But where are the clowns?
    Quick, send in the clowns.

A great body, like the body of a squid, emerges from the ground next to the drill. It is made out of the same black, unforgiving substance. Nine eyes, huge, stare out of it: solid burning balls of doom.

Don't bother, they're here.
    The Grandfather had been instructed by Marciano to not give up the site. That hadn't seemed to be such a problem....everything was going great. He could easily blast a few ships, and clog up the opening to the lower plane. Then, the spirits would be sucked up by the magic of his cultists. Then, some strange thing appears out of the hole...Tentacles of inky blackness, massive...The Grandfathers smirk faded just a little...this would be...interesting.

[Lake Lazuli]

"There is no part of this that will be good," Raven replies to the swoopy red dust, her tone as dark and cold as the Styx. Her attention never pulls away from the empty patch of air above an equally empty lake in the distance. "It is my hope that my services will not be required here. We shall see."

Raven figures the big swarm of devils will probably be able to handle things.

Big swarms of devils are fairly decent at that sort of endeavor after all.

I mean...

Seriously?

Digging into hell?
    Herpaderp Marciano is genius.

[Lake Lazuli]

"Hmmm... perhaps the word I'm looking for is delightful. Or exciting." Good probably isn't the right word for it.

"Do you wish to take bets on how many souls and devils escape their prison today?"

Cause, you know, when there's a gaping hole to hell, that's the first thing that should be done. Bets.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdEmperor View Post
    Lake Lazuli

Oh, I wouldn't say the invisibility dome was entirely useless. Some organizations aren't lucky enough to have constant surveillance on the whole Nexus or Raven's bizarre knack for just being around whenever important stuff happens.

At the very least it's managed to thoroughly confound Excelsior's agents, who've only had the crudest directions to the project and might never have found it at all, were it not for the hellfire and brimstone lighting the place up like infernal fireworks.

Of course, it's a bit late to go through with operation 'Kidnap some scientists and steal the drill' now, so they must be content to merely observe the carnage from a nearby hillside, laughing to each other with destructive glee each time something's destroyed in a particularly spectacular manner.

Pleasant Meadow

Meanwhile, miles away in a peaceful little meadow, flanked on all sides by steep hills, a second assault is gearing up.

Two portals tear their way into existence here, interrupting the frolicking of the cute little woodland critters and sending them fleeting for their lives in all directions. A scaly green hand grips the edge of the portal, followed by an equally green leg thudding down into the dirt, then finally with tremendous effort Markus pulls his full bulk through the rift, tilting his ugly reptilian mug upwards to sniff the air for the scent of hidden watchers.

Finding none he steps aside and Day follows him through the portal with somewhat less difficulty, proceeding a half-dozen Einherjar soldiers marching through in full battle-gear. At the same time the other portal spits out four masked and armored battlemages, floating weightlessly through the air with a bevy of mechanical components and curved metal plates hovering along beside them.

On cue they all begin to work, riveting and assembling in an eerie silence broken only by the dully monotonous hum of their tools, even the birdsong gone from the air now with all the merry little featherbrains scared away. Within a scant thirty minutes their job is done; A crude artillery cannon has been built in the center of the meadow, a wide barrel of matte gray propped up at acute angle by struts driven into the ground. The ammo lies beside it, a large store of boulders accumulated from the surrounding areas via Markus's immense strength.

Everything in readiness, Day, Markus and the battlemages depart in the same way they arrived, leaving the soldiers behind to defend and load the cannon.
    Well, the big dome fades away, revealing the giant tower built around the drill. There's cannons built into the towers battlements, and riot soldiers with the Marciano "L" rush towards their battle formations. The cultists are at the top of the tower, in a circle, with The Grandfather flying above. The soldiers are readying to fire at the bizarre Hellish Kraken thing.

[Lake Lazuli]

If you took a list of Marciano's stupid ideas and listed them all from least stupid up to most stupid... well, it's be a pretty gorram long list. Legions of court scribes would have to labor for decades under the lash of whips and the pain of death to even begin to scratch one out. The Great Wall, the Pyramids, the Hanging Gardens, the Colossus of Rhodes, each of these great structures would pale in comparison to such a list. It would be a true marvel of human engineering and accomplishment, a list to populate the great myths and legends birthed from our time, a list to be sung of and worshiped, a list to be feared.

Sadly, such a list does not exist, and may, in fact, never exist. But if it did, drilling into mother****ing HELL would probably be the capstone of such a list.

At first the results of such a feat would seem slightly disappointing. A small, whimpering sput of air, slowly hissing out of the hole like dry air out of a particularly decrepit balloon, bringing with it an overpowering odor of sulfur and sex. And then nothing. And then the noise.

The hole begins to glow with fierce white light, bringing with it the hellish screams of pain and torment, the crumbling roar of splitting earth, the terrible echoing growl of the wrathful lion amplified across a dozen universes, the unrelenting beat of a thousand drums, the crash of waves against jagged rocks, the howling of slavering, starving wolves, the blazing crackle of a billion forest fires, the piercing cry of a trillion hunting eagles, and somewhere, buried under all that, the timid, terrified squeak of a mouse who has just spotted a rather large shadow swooping over it.

The ground rumbles, and the hole begins to spew fire and lava, scorching missiles of heat and destruction which might ruin the days of anyone standing too close to the giant hole into the gorram Nine Hells. Thirteen great bolts of fire leap forth, each one exploding in glorious ecstasy into the massive gleaming form of a great bronze galleon, soaring through the sky on sails of woven gold, and jet engines run on souls and Hellfire. At the prow of one such galleon stands the noble form of General Percival Heatherington-Smythe Cumberbatch the Fifth, looking mighty fine in his crisp black uniform and tall peaked hat with a skull on it. Behind him the forces of the First and Sixth circles of Hell stand in wait.

General Percival Heatherington-Smythe Cumberbatch the Fifth eyes the scene, the tips of his great bushy mustache quivering slightly as he runs his gaze across the great tower holding the drill. Slowly, ponderously, he reaches into his jacket and pulls out a small golden pocket watch, taking note of the time, then turns to his three aides.

"Lieutenant* Wynneth, please inform General Elshika of the Sixth that she may begin the assault as soon as she wishes. Lieutenant Luxora, signal the Commanders of the fleet to bring their boats about and lay cannonfire down on that tower. Sky-Skiffs and flying Clockworks to provide air defense if necessary. Lieutenant Yulia?"
    General Percival Heatherington-Smythe Cumberbatch the Fifth pauses for a moment, stroking his mustache contemplatively with his gloved fingers.
    "Release the Hericlax."

(*Pronounced left-tenant, for Americans and others of ill-breeding.)
    Yeah, that list would probably never be completed...It is never a good idea to have a psychotic half-ling with Napoleon Complex in a place of high power and explosives...that combination just breeds stupidity...and further explosions. The Grandfather laughs at the little sput of air, expecting something more awesome-worthy.

Then, the noises start out. That was when the Grandfather disrupted the invisibility dome. The ground rumbled, and Mr. Brant made his run. Guards began to rush to battle formations, and Serpentine Acolyte Cultists readied the circle.

Then, galleons exploded with light. The Grandfather's face pales a little...ooh...they weren't expecting the whole fleet. Well, he'd take down a few. If they could somehow end up using the drill energy to power an attack...he'd end up blowing everything up, but...eh. He never really did like Marciano that much. He still orders his cultists to cast though. He speaks out, his voice magnified, giant red and purple runes flying about him.

Bahahaha! Welcome, fleets of Hell! I am the manifestation of all Black Magic! Bow to me! The Grandfather didn't actually expect them to listen to him...he wouldn't. Instead, he'll quickly cast a spell, a large purple dome will circle him and his cultists. Then, he'll shout out. Send your beasts! WE have the technology to equal the gods! Then, the tower cannons will fire down at the Hericlax. All fifty four of them, hopefully the bursts of lightning coming from the cannons will harm the beast.

Construction workers and scientists run about on the ground, trying to get as far away as possible, some even getting tot he force from Excellsior.

9. - Top - End - #879
    Orc in the Playground

[Lake Lazuli]

It is at this point that yet another of Marciano Louv're's past mistakes comes back to haunt him.

This time, it is far less subtle, the roar of jet engines unconcealed, stealth forgone completely. After all, one hardly needs to be very sneaky when they have THE ****ING LEGIONS OF HELL as a distraction. It seems this particular enemy of Marciano's is highly opportunistic.

A group of six SF/A-01 Blackjack multirole fighters arrives in the air to make an attack run on the rather heavily occupied tower, launching a barrage of four normal missiles each, followed by missiles with especially powerful plasma warheads, followed by some good, old-fashioned unguided bombs. The missiles are aimed at the tower's weapon emplacements where possible, but the sheer firepower involved means this is a rather terrible situation for anyone in that tower. Or, well, even more terrible than it already was.

And that, dear readers, is why you don't piss everyone off enough that they're entirely willing to sabotage your efforts against letting a bunch of devils eat them.

After the airstrike is complete, the jets will bug out, not interested in a sustained fight. They're counting on the devils to be a diversion against their attack-after all, having THE ****ING LEGIONS OF HELL around is very distracting.
    Spoiler
    Show

by Happyturtle and Ashen Lilies

FFR Links:

10. - Top - End - #880

By Lake Lazuli

Oh, wouldn't you know it? Fish diving into a barrel.

Drawing the assault rifle strapped to his back, Caesium flips the safety and opens fire, a spray of bullets striking the ground directly before the fleeing scientists. "Hold it! Next to move is the next to die!"
    Last edited by ThirdEmperor; 2012-09-19 at 06:19 PM.

11. - Top - End - #881
    Troll in the Playground

[The Lost Wave]

"Your mother had mentioned Reinholdt. Though she failed to mention that he was a good baker, and could fly. Seems like quite the cat.

Soon enough they are under way as he raises up the sails and they start heading towards the mainland.
    Both girls nod an affirmative. He's awesome. He helped momma find us after daddy went missing.

And he turns pink when he flies. Lyanna giggles.

12. - Top - End - #882
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Lake Lazuli]

Considering that Raven was doing the whole 'brooding mysteriously in the far distance from a lookout point' thing that she often does the (possibly portly) engineer running this far whilst screaming and flailing is a pretty amazing feat.

She watches the man approaching for a while, apparently seeing no particular reason to move before he collides with her. He'll find that the young woman in the beak-like hood (not mask!) is uncannily unyielding. More or less akin to running into the rock that she's standing on.

Should Brant end up on his ass in the grass Raven will regard him contempuiously for a few moments before turning her attention back to the tower.

"I am not in the habit of making wagers. Least of all wagers with the likes of you."

Isn't she just a little bundle of sunshine?
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

13. - Top - End - #883
    Troll in the Playground

Lake Lazuli

Actually, the drill isn't much of a problem at all. Remember this?

Quote Originally Posted by Epic Post!
    The ground rumbles, and the hole begins to spew fire and lava, scorching missiles of heat and destruction which might ruin the days of anyone standing too close to the giant hole into the gorram Nine Hells. Thirteen great bolts of fire leap forth, each one exploding in glorious ecstasy into the massive gleaming form of a great bronze galleon, soaring through the sky on sails of woven gold, and jet engines run on souls and Hellfire.
    That massive explosion made the hole far bigger than the diameter of a drill. If the drill itself wasn't damaged in the explosion, then the drill bit is simply spinning in the air right now. After all, Hell isn't solid, nor are the souls of the damned packed tightly under the surface ready to be siphoned out. They're distributed fairly widely throughout the Nine Circles, and only the First has been breached.

General Eshkila's soldiers continue to swarm up the ladders. Is anyone there to meet them when they climb out?
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

14. - Top - End - #884
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Mana Gathering]

As the band of ogres approaches one of them steps in front of the ground and slams his club in the ground so hard the cliff they're standing on shakes slightly causing the icicles underneath to fall off.

Jallyn steps out from behind Jakus, "We're conducting a mana accumulation actually. The process is rather fascinating, first-"

"Raaah!" The ogre steps forward and raises the club above his head in an attempt to smash the tiny goblin.
    Mana Gathering

Kuko let's out a sharp whistle and for just a second the offending ogre may just get a face full of flitty, fluttery, flailing, brown sparrow. I say only a second because Kitcho will only do it for a second before zooming off into the sky.

Kuko meanwhile attempts to grab Jallyn by the wrist and run her away from the ogre. They are being paid to protect her after all.

Pirate Justin avatar by myself. Emmi avatar by Gulaghar, Much Thanks!

My Characters

15. - Top - End - #885
    Dwarf in the Playground

[The Lost Wave]

Derek chuckles a bit at the idea of a pink flying cat. He makes himself a mental resolution to try to meet this Reinholdt someday soon.

"So your mom told me there was a place in the city Inside with a whole bunch of shops and stuff, I figured we would head there. Sound good?"
    Check out My Writing
    New
    prestige class

Poem by me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The stars glimmer
    and I can't help
    but wonder.
    to?

16. - Top - End - #886
    Ogre in the Playground

[Lake Lazuli]

"Tsk. No one knows how to have fun anymore." Red Mist replies.

Before going to swirl and swarm into Brant's orifices and attempting to forcibly possess him in most every sense of the word, impressing his will over Brant's. Who knows? Maybe Brant can stop it somehow or his willpower is stronger than anyone realized for a guy who wisely chose to run away as his first action.

If successful, it'll use Brant to speak. "You really should lighten up."
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

17. - Top - End - #887
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Attacked Village- Canyon

The gnome keeps his mouth closed, and continues to glower.

I'm only barely aware of what 'natural 20' even means. I bought my first DnD books second-hand last year, and I've only ever played one DnD game. It died before the party hit second level.
    [Attacked Village-Canyon]

"Well I tried to be nice. Oh well." Esruc takes a piece of cloth from a bag and forces it in the gnome's mouth. He then takes a red ball and rubs a bit on the tip of his sword then puts the ball away. The tip of the sword starts emitting red lightning. Esruc then places the tip of the sword to the gnome's crotch to electrocute him there. The volt given should be enough to give continuous pain but not enough to knock him out. The jolts will first last for ten seconds then 20, 30 , 40 and so on and so forth until the gnome decides to talk.

Well, it was just a joke. I did play DnD for a bit but my friends lost interest real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Mana Gathering]

Quote Originally Posted by OrchestraHc View Post
    Mana Gathering

Kuko let's out a sharp whistle and for just a second the offending ogre may just get a face full of flitty, fluttery, flailing, brown sparrow. I say only a second because Kitcho will only do it for a second before zooming off into the sky.

Kuko meanwhile attempts to grab Jallyn by the wrist and run her away from the ogre. They are being paid to protect her after all.
    [Mana Gathering]

Since the Orges started to attack, he saw no sense in waiting for Jakus to reply. He stays his ground and fires a barrage of beams from both hands at the nearest foe. The beams should hurt like a punch and burn like touching molten steel.
    Boredom is a double-edged sword. Oh yeah I made character entries in the character directory wanna see?

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #888
    Ogre in the Playground

[Lake Lazuli]

Fifty-four whole cannons? That's so cute. Of course, each and every one of the flying galleons slowly moving into position has that number of guns plus two more per broadside so you can see why General Percival Heatherington-Smythe Cumberbatch the Fifth might be a little bit less than impressed. Consider too, the type of gun that these ships might be using. Dragon shaped monstrosities firing infernal bolts of pure explosion that can tear through your average main battle tank like buckshot through so much jello. Further consider that now, roughly 728 of these guns are all, at this very moment, aimed at the very same tower (and surrounding environs).
    "A bold challenge!" Calls the devil, some diabolical trick of command allowing his voice to carry easily across the battlefield without needing to raise his voice, despite all the hubbub and commotion.
    "Allow me to present my prompt reply: Fire!"
    If only the 4th of July could be so spectacular.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

19. - Top - End - #889
    Orc in the Playground

Slaver Tracking- Canyon

"Eeergh!" The gnome screams. He'll hold out for up to a minute, but afterwards give in. "I darted your horse because I missed you."

Just be aware that even if you think you're referencing something universal, people still might not understand it.

20. - Top - End - #890
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OrchestraHc View Post
    Mana Gathering

Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    [Mana Gathering]

Since the Orges started to attack, he saw no sense in waiting for Jakus to reply. He stays his ground and fires a barrage of beams from both hands at the nearest foe. The beams should hurt like a punch and burn like touching molten steel.
    [Mana Gathering]

((Posting order my friend. Learn to utilize it ))

Jakus nearly gets fried when Surt fires the beams; he had been moving to stop the ogre that was attacking Jallyn, but stops short when fire fills the air between them, "Watch what you're doing!"
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

21. - Top - End - #891
    Troll in the Playground

[The Lost Wave]

Derek chuckles a bit at the idea of a pink flying cat. He makes himself a mental resolution to try to meet this Reinholdt someday soon.

"So your mom told me there was a place in the city Inside with a whole bunch of shops and stuff, I figured we would head there. Sound good?"
    The Mall!! Lyanna almost screams, and begins clapping happily.

Estia, on the other hand, looks conflicted. Her eyes sparkled at the thought, but something else is drawing her mouth into a frown. I... I heard it's really big and- and lots of stores. she finally says.

22. - Top - End - #892
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darkcomet View Post
    [Lake Lazuli]

It is at this point that yet another of Marciano Louv're's past mistakes comes back to haunt him.

This time, it is far less subtle, the roar of jet engines unconcealed, stealth forgone completely. After all, one hardly needs to be very sneaky when they have THE ****ING LEGIONS OF HELL as a distraction. It seems this particular enemy of Marciano's is highly opportunistic.

A group of six SF/A-01 Blackjack multirole fighters arrives in the air to make an attack run on the rather heavily occupied tower, launching a barrage of four normal missiles each, followed by missiles with especially powerful plasma warheads, followed by some good, old-fashioned unguided bombs. The missiles are aimed at the tower's weapon emplacements where possible, but the sheer firepower involved means this is a rather terrible situation for anyone in that tower. Or, well, even more terrible than it already was.

And that, dear readers, is why you don't piss everyone off enough that they're entirely willing to sabotage your efforts against letting a bunch of devils eat them.

After the airstrike is complete, the jets will bug out, not interested in a sustained fight. They're counting on the devils to be a diversion against their attack-after all, having THE ****ING LEGIONS OF HELL around is very distracting.
    Yes, it can be. So, the missiles and bombs fall. The Grandfather and his cultists had already thought to shield the drill tower. Mainly because it was fairly clear that something bad would happen. He probably should have just put a shield around the drill hole....but he didn't think of that. So, instead the missiles all smash against the shield. The Grandfather laughs at the ships, but then the last missile punctures the shield and completely breaks it...right when the flying legions of Hell are firing their massive assault. The invisible shield fades. Now both the invisibility shield, and the towers physical defense shield are down, leaving only the magical one.

By Lake Lazuli

Oh, wouldn't you know it? Fish diving into a barrel.

Drawing the assault rifle strapped to his back, Caesium flips the safety and opens fire, a spray of bullets striking the ground directly before the fleeing scientists. "Hold it! Next to move is the next to die!"
    The group of six scientists flail about wildly, they got out of there as quickly as they could, precisely so they wouldn't get shot! Well....they jump back as a spray of bullets smashes the ground, a few scream out, while the others land on the ground, ruffling their white lab coats. One rather tubby scientists tries to make a run for it, while the others stay back, not moving, and cowering.

[Lake Lazuli]

Considering that Raven was doing the whole 'brooding mysteriously in the far distance from a lookout point' thing that she often does the (possibly portly) engineer running this far whilst screaming and flailing is a pretty amazing feat.

She watches the man approaching for a while, apparently seeing no particular reason to move before he collides with her. He'll find that the young woman in the beak-like hood (not mask!) is uncannily unyielding. More or less akin to running into the rock that she's standing on.

Should Brant end up on his ass in the grass Raven will regard him contempuiously for a few moments before turning her attention back to the tower.

"I am not in the habit of making wagers. Least of all wagers with the likes of you."

Isn't she just a little bundle of sunshine?
    Mr. Brant is about forty-two, with dark skin and salt and pepper hair. He's not balding, which is kinda interesting....he's average physically, he's kept his weight under control, and he's not very tall. He's wearing a white lab-coat, and his glasses are cracked from his trip. I...please! Don't hurt me! Please! I have a family! He cowers back. I'm just an engineer! I wasn't expecting this!

Lake Lazuli

Actually, the drill isn't much of a problem at all. Remember this?

That massive explosion made the hole far bigger than the diameter of a drill. If the drill itself wasn't damaged in the explosion, then the drill bit is simply spinning in the air right now. After all, Hell isn't solid, nor are the souls of the damned packed tightly under the surface ready to be siphoned out. They're distributed fairly widely throughout the Nine Circles, and only the First has been breached.

General Eshkila's soldiers continue to swarm up the ladders. Is anyone there to meet them when they climb out?
    The drill bit is very powerful, constructed with the same metal Louv're Tower is made of. Riot soldiers with big reinforced plastic shields and helmets armed with clubs and high-tech weaponry charge the enemy. They are outnumbered however....

[Lake Lazuli]

"Tsk. No one knows how to have fun anymore." Red Mist replies.

Before going to swirl and swarm into Brant's orifices and attempting to forcibly possess him in most every sense of the word, impressing his will over Brant's. Who knows? Maybe Brant can stop it somehow or his willpower is stronger than anyone realized for a guy who wisely chose to run away as his first action.

If successful, it'll use Brant to speak. "You really should lighten up."
    Mr. Brant is speaking out and begging for his life as he looks over with horror at the thing approaching him. No! D-Don't! Stop! P-Please! Gah! Red Mist promptly begins to enter Mr. Brant's mouth, eyes, and nose...Mr. Brant just shakes abruptly, like a ragdoll...He's a scientist. and an engineer. He has a very strong will. However, this past week he'd been terrified by Magtok and the Amenite scientists, insane technological and magical creations that ruptured time, and now being shot at by demons....everything was going wrong...Then, this thing attacked him...It's amazing Mr. Brant hasn't gone insane yet... He is spoken through, but then will try and gain hold again, by forcibly punching his head against the nearby tree....breaking his nose.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kris View Post
    [Lake Lazuli]

Fifty-four whole cannons? That's so cute. Of course, each and every one of the flying galleons slowly moving into position has that number of guns plus two more per broadside so you can see why General Percival Heatherington-Smythe Cumberbatch the Fifth might be a little bit less than impressed. Consider too, the type of gun that these ships might be using. Dragon shaped monstrosities firing infernal bolts of pure explosion that can tear through your average main battle tank like buckshot through so much jello. Further consider that now, roughly 728 of these guns are all, at this very moment, aimed at the very same tower (and surrounding environs).
    "A bold challenge!" Calls the devil, some diabolical trick of command allowing his voice to carry easily across the battlefield without needing to raise his voice, despite all the hubbub and commotion.
    "Allow me to present my prompt reply: Fire!"
    If only the 4th of July could be so spectacular.
    The Grandfather's eyes go wide and his face pales....this wasn't going well. He was unprepared for this...What had Marciano done to get attacked by all of these people...he was going to have a word with Marciano...The cultists disappear quickly and teleport as the cannons begin to fire, leaving The Grandfather and the Louv're Soldiers. The Grandfather had ordered his cultists to abandon the tower...He speaks out as the cannons approach. You shall not pass!Demons, fear me! I am invincible! I am BLACK MAGIC IMPERSONIFIED! He'll then through back his heard exposing the old man's paperish skin, two purple inky gaping holes where his eyes should be. Then, a shield covers him. Come fight me personally! Whoever is in charge! Fight with whatever honor you demons have!

23. - Top - End - #893

By Lake Lazuli

Sighing, Caesum adjusts his aim slightly and squeezes the trigger down, so that tubby might find his escape hindered and his kneecap shattered by a well placed round. Or several. Trying to run's volunteered the poor sap as an example to the rest, a demonstration of just what's in store for anyone else who tries escaping.

Speaking of the other five scientists, Thorium and Barry have them covered, kicking at the ones on the ground to encourage them to get back up. "C'mon, on your feet. Who's in charge here?"
    Last edited by ThirdEmperor; 2012-09-20 at 10:33 PM.

24. - Top - End - #894
    Troll in the Playground

Lazuli Lake

Quote Originally Posted by singingnoodle View Post
    The drill bit is very powerful, constructed with the same metal Louv're Tower is made of. Riot soldiers with big reinforced plastic shields and helmets armed with clubs and high-tech weaponry charge the enemy. They are outnumbered however....
    The first devils over the edge get their faces smashed by riots shields and clubs and fall back into Hell. But the next group will try to wrap their claws around the lower edges of riot shields and pull them over the lip of the pit along with their wielders - letting gravity do the rest. Usually mortals tend to be dead before entering Hell, but this way works too. Either way, Hell gets its souls. The high-tech weapons bounce harmlessly off of immunity to vaguely described attacks.

For every devil that falls, two or three make it out of the hole. Eventually their numbers will probably start pushing the riot soldiers back to make a beach-head.

The Grandfather's eyes go wide and his face pales....this wasn't going well. He was unprepared for this...What had Marciano done to get attacked by all of these people...he was going to have a word with Marciano...
    Someone should tell Grandfather that drilling a hole through someone's roof tends to make them grumpy.

The cultists disappear quickly and teleport as the cannons begin to fire, leaving The Grandfather and the Louv're Soldiers. The Grandfather had ordered his cultists to abandon the tower...He speaks out as the cannons approach. You shall not pass!Demons, fear me! I am invincible! I am BLACK MAGIC IMPERSONIFIED! He'll then through back his heard exposing the old man's paperish skin, two purple inky gaping holes where his eyes should be. Then, a shield covers him. Come fight me personally! Whoever is in charge! Fight with whatever honor you demons have!
    General Eshkila's voice is magically amplified so she can answer. "Very well. Turn off your drill and I'll grant you safe passage through the hole to meet you below for single combat."
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

25. - Top - End - #895
    Pixie in the Playground

[Slave Tracking: Canyon]

"Well, that calls for a change of question. Why did you want to dart me, gnome?" Esruc concentrates once more like he did in the village. He can sense if the gnome lies. "Also, do you happen to know a band of slavers? They recently acquired some villagers and have passed this canyon. Yet there is a split here and canyon itself is filled with caltrops. You. Will. Tell. Me. Why. " Esruc tried his best to sound convincing,he doesn't really have much experience doing this and is just thinking things up as he goes along.

[Mana Gathering]

((Right, the posting order. Its Jallyn - Orges- Kuko - Jakus then Surt, I think.))

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #896
    Dwarf in the Playground

[The Lost Wave]

Quote Originally Posted by Lex-Kat View Post
    The Mall!! Lyanna almost screams, and begins clapping happily.

Estia, on the other hand, looks conflicted. Her eyes sparkled at the thought, but something else is drawing her mouth into a frown. I... I heard it's really big and- and lots of stores. she finally says.
    Derek notices the frown but doesn't say anything about it. His eyes turn and scan the ocean as if he was looking for something out there.
    Last edited by McBish; 2012-09-21 at 10:34 AM.
    Check out My Writing
    New
    prestige class

Poem by me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The stars glimmer
    and I can't help
    but wonder.
    to?

27. - Top - End - #897
    Orc in the Playground

Slaver Tracking- Canyon

"Because the only people following a slaver caravan with cargo are the rear guard, and I don't recognise you, or people who disagree with the general profession. I'm not a slaver myself; I'm a scout. I make sure there's no ambushes up ahead, and nobody following too close behind. I think you should go left; they went right, but it's shorter." He's not lying, though he's not really telling the whole truth. The left fork is shorter, but it's also booby trapped, dotted with good hiding places for ambushers and home to numerous other hazards.

28. - Top - End - #898
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lazuli Lake

The Hericlax will have started attacking the structures, the magical lightning cannons having no discernible effect. Spells bounce off of magical defense, and physical attacks bounce off of whatever the beast is made from. However, when the personal challenge is issued, it stops.

To say that personal challenges are serious business is an understatement. The Hericlax will not interfere with any such challenge.

29. - Top - End - #899
    Ogre in the Playground

The Grandfather's and the cultists last shield finally breaks as the legions mighty firepower smashes against the tower. The tower begins to buckle and break, all 29 tons of metal and glass flying to the ground quickly. The tower catches on fire, and shrapnel flies about, probably smashing the demons and devils. The tower collapses over the drill, which becomes looses and falls into Hell, along with the riot guards and construction workers on the tower. The Grandfather stays flying though. The tower falls to the ground, and smashes any other riot soldiers combating the devils. The tower sections begins to explode and shatter, glass flying around and the smell of burning plastic and blood can be smelt.

By Lake Lazuli

Sighing, Caesum adjusts his aim slightly and squeezes the trigger down, so that tubby might find his escape hindered and his kneecap shattered by a well placed round. Or several. Trying to run's volunteered the poor sap as an example to the rest, a demonstration of just what's in store for anyone else who tries escaping.

Speaking of the other five scientists, Thorium and Barry have them covered, kicking at the ones on the ground to encourage them to get back up. "C'mon, on your feet. Who's in charge here?"
    The tubby scientist flops to the ground, blood and bone smashing onto the grass. Then, behind the group some 300 yards away, the tower can be seen falling. The tubby scientists quivers on the ground. Oh! My leg! GAH! Stop...oh....gods...I'm bleeding....Gah! He lays there pathetically. The other scientists all look shocked. A man with a small mustache and a french accent speaks out. Zat vould be Mr. Brant...he's not here...he's ran off ze other direction... He shivers in fear. The others cower behind.

Lazuli Lake

The first devils over the edge get their faces smashed by riots shields and clubs and fall back into Hell. But the next group will try to wrap their claws around the lower edges of riot shields and pull them over the lip of the pit along with their wielders - letting gravity do the rest. Usually mortals tend to be dead before entering Hell, but this way works too. Either way, Hell gets its souls. The high-tech weapons bounce harmlessly off of immunity to vaguely described attacks.

For every devil that falls, two or three make it out of the hole. Eventually their numbers will probably start pushing the riot soldiers back to make a beach-head.

Someone should tell Grandfather that drilling a hole through someone's roof tends to make them grumpy.

General Eshkila's voice is magically amplified so she can answer. "Very well. Turn off your drill and I'll grant you safe passage through the hole to meet you below for single combat."
    Soldiers are grabbed and pulled down into the hole abruptly, and the rest scream out when they realize the devils are plowing through them like paper mache soldiers. The move back into a tight circle of only about twenty-five soldiers, then the tower begins to fall. It lands right on top of the soldiers, the big metal tower probably killing the devils too. The Grandfather doesn't respond to the devil's request, but instead teleports. This was a failure. There would always be next time. Until next time devil scum, I'll see you at Louv're Tower I presume. He's then gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Deep View Post
    Lazuli Lake

The Hericlax will have started attacking the structures, the magical lightning cannons having no discernible effect. Spells bounce off of magical defense, and physical attacks bounce off of whatever the beast is made from. However, when the personal challenge is issued, it stops.

To say that personal challenges are serious business is an understatement. The Hericlax will not interfere with any such challenge.
    Well, the tower begins to fall onto the Hericalz, the burning inferno smashing onto it most likely.

(Sorry for skipping you Reinhold and Rebonack. I don't have much time.)

30. - Top - End - #900
    Pixie in the Playground

[Slave Tracking: Canyon]

Esruc takes into consideration all that the gnome is telling him. "Alright, last questions. Where are they headed and who am I dealing with."

((Question Earl of Purple, was there any sort of oddity that can be spotted in the heartbeat, movement, facial expression, etc. when the gnome said that the left path is shorter? So I can decide if my character would be on tighter guard or not if he decides to go that way. Also would you prefer the gnome dead or not?))

Spoiler
    Show