New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

Default The New Pirate Kings: Chapter 1

Silverlake Village has been the home of a peaceful, quiet, and easy minded farmers for generations. Relying on the local merchants to sail their goods and crops to the mainland, as well as buy and trade other goods upon their return has always been their way of life.

Over the last couple years, the community of Silverlake Village has greatly increased, bringing in more simple farmers, as well as fishermen, merchants, travellers, and even the occasional doctor. In the last month though, the population took a jump for the worst.

Last month, the merchant ship that was sailing back home from the mainland was attacked and captured by pirates. Sneaking into the harbour without raising the alarms allowed the pirates to seize the village within a matter of hours. Without much of a guard, and the closest Marine base stationed in Shell Village, the pirates had no difficulty taking over.

Once the village and the island was under their control, the pirate ship sailed into port. The flag on the ship was easily recognizable, labelling the pirates as the crew of the Crimson Sun Pirates, and were being lead by their captain, only known as "Red Blade", or by his title, the "Butcher of East Blue."

Spoiler
    Show

Now a month later, the pirates have remained in complete control. Taxes have soared, driving the community into poverty, no ship may leave the island without a handful of pirates on board, so nobody has been able to go for help, all letters are read before being sealed, blocking all possibility of a warning, and the pirate captain's new laws have placed everybody under such strain and fear that nobody dares to stand up.

As most of the pirates roam through the street or cause problems at the local tavern and the pirate captain "Red Blade" has been holed up to himself in the mayor's house at the back of the village, a handful of pirates have rounded up some villagers and have begun unloading and counting the income of this month's merchant ship.
    __________________________________________________ _______

"Come on you lazy runts, you hardly made a dent! Put your backs into it!" The pirate yelling from the sidelines was a usual sight for you three. A beer in their hand and laughter between them while all the work was left to you.

Bartos, Tony, and Elroy were just three of the dozen men with bad luck who were chosen to unload the ship and stock all the goods in the dock's warehouse. It was hard work moving the few hundred boxes, and the pirates just made them feel that much heavier, but at least the week long storm had finally past. The rain was common for the island in the mid spring, but that was ridiculous. Possibly why the ship was late coming in too.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The New Pirate Kings: Chapter 1

The well-muscled Troy steps off the ship with a box in his usual garb of an open bright green jacket, revealing his chest and abdomen, and his brown pants that only go halfway down his calves. His straight brown hair runs down to the base of his neck and he keeps a well trimmed beard. He stands at six foot one, not the tallest but certainly above average.

Troy is too brave to keep his mouth shut, even around pirates.

"Hoo. Man these boxes're heavy. Wonder what these guys got in 'em."
    Last edited by Batpope Scott; 2013-05-11 at 09:39 PM.
    What I say should be taken with a grain of salt, as that is the best way to serve madness!
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Elroy is what most people consider gangly, being a bit above average height and not very muscular creating a very thin image. He is wearing some khaki shorts, a T-shirt and sandals. He has mid length blond hair and wears glasses.

Image:
    Spoiler
    Show

Trying to do his best at transporting the boxes as to not garner attention from the pirates for being too slow, Elroy worked in silence, too fear stricken to say anything.
    Last edited by Awesomeusername; 2013-05-11 at 10:01 PM.
    Carlos Burnham - Legends of Stormcap Peak

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Bartos could feel the sweat begin to soak his shoulder length Green hair as he followed his fellow unwilling workers. The humidity made the white dress shirt and black suit pants he wore to cling to his skin. Not the most appropriate clothing for hard work, but he'd been rounded up unexpectedly after leaving his latest cooking job.

Hearing the large man a couple paces in front of him speak he couldn't help but reply despite the pirates watching them work.

"Whatever it is I'm sure it will be put to no good use."
    Last edited by Shaltenn; 2013-05-11 at 11:01 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

Unfortunately, one of the nearby pirates heard the smart ass remark. He quickly sends a sharp glare at Bartos as he begins stomping over towards you. Luckily though, his mind gets caught by another pirate approaching along the beach, shouting out to him. "Hey! Grab a couple of those runts and send them down this way, will ya? Something got beached in the storm and the boss might want some of it."

The pirate standing over Bartos' shoulder gets a wide smirk as his large hand gives a strong slap on your shoulder with the strength that should have gone behind a punch. "Ya lucky day runts! You three, follow him down the beach and lug it all up to da Cap'ain."

Lucky wasn't the word to describe it. The ship would be unloading for the next hour or so, but that was just from the ship to the deck warehouse. Whatever was beached needed to be dragged through town.

With the pirates not giving you a chance to talk back, the three of you follow the pirate down the beach for a good twenty minutes before you see the wreckage. What appears to have been a small boat, possibly a dingy, now laid upside down on the beach.

The pale pine wood for the boat appears to have almost shattered, littering the surrounding area, along with the little bits of scattered supplies. A bag here, a few broken planks there, and most of it already under a fine layer of sand from the storm winds.

The pirate waste no time before the dollar signs roll in his eyes. He immediately rushes over to the other side of the wrecked dingy and kicks a small cloud of sand with a cheer. As you peek over at him, you see what he uncovered was a small treasure chest half buried in the sand.

He gives a quick glance over at you and realizes you're looking at it. "Forget about it! You three start gathering up all the supplies and gear you can find. Even the dingy! That much wood could come in handy." He then returns to the chest, fighting crack it open, but to no success yet.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Troy frowns at the wreck and starts collecting the supplies strewn across the sand. He grumbles something about "Hate seein' a good boat like this..."
    What I say should be taken with a grain of salt, as that is the best way to serve madness!
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Elroy quickly scrambles to the dinghy and starts gathering up the gear and such into a small pile. He cautiously looks through some of the bags to see if there is anything interesting inside of them.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Bartos gets to work immediately picking up what he could. Not one to be discouraged due to a little hard labor he decides to make a little conversation while he works. "If you hate the condition of this boat you would have loathed what happened to my boat about a month and a half ago. That storm that brought me here tore it a new one. I had to swim the last thirty meters to shore.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

"Damn piece of junk!" The pirate continues yelling as he fights with the chest that refuses to open, completely ignoring you all.

As you all continue scavenging around the dingy, Elroy come across a slim, long bag buried under an inch of sand. The bad easily zips open and exposes a slim longsword and it's sheath tucked inside the bag. Tied around the hilt though is about a one foot square purple cloth.
    Spoiler
    Show

At the same time, Bartos kicks across his own discovery. Soaked and filled with sand, clearly beyond use, is an old flintlock pistol.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Holding the Pistol up to examine it, several dark thoughts briefly go through his mind of shooting the pirate while he was so focused on the treasure chest. He quickly shakes those thoughts out of his head when he realized that not only would it do no good in the long run, but the pistol itself probably couldn't shoot anyway in it's condition.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Elroy holds the new found sword with shaking hands thinking about what he could do with it. Well, I could just put it in the pile, no no no that wouldn't work, then the pirates would get it. Maybe I could try to hide it, yes that could work, but how would I be able to hide it? ... Oh! I know, I'll just pass it over to that big guy there. Elroy then attempts to quietly move over and place the sword next to Troy. Having been ridden of the sword, Elroy then scurries back to where he was and resumes his task.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Troy looks down at the sword placed near him and whispers "What do we 'ave 'ere?"

Troy picks up the sword and tries to unsheath it quietly to check the blade.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

The pirate resumes with his task as he fights to get the chest open, until you hear a loud *Clunk*, quickly followed by a "Damnit!" by the pirate. As you peer over at him, it seems pretty clear that he managed to actually break the lock on the chest.

As the pirate continues fighting with the chest, Troy unsheathed the blade the first few inches to try and avoid the metal from ringing. As he inspects as much of the blade as he can, the metal appears to be almost flawless. The time and care put into both making the blade and maintaining it are easily seen, even by untrained eyes.

The small pile of supplies gathered now seems to be the last of it. All that remains scattered around now are the few small pieces of wood too small to make a torch from, leaving just the pile and the dingy.
    Last edited by Xepher117; 2013-05-12 at 01:57 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Finished collecting all of the supplies, Elroy goes over to the dinghy and pulls at it a little to see how stuck/heavy it is.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Troy tries to hide the sword from the pirate by shoving it into his clothing.

Troy walks over to the dingy and whispers to Elroy "We could take him. One man against three."
    Last edited by Batpope Scott; 2013-05-12 at 02:46 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

Upon closer inspection, the dingy appears to be well made and is still strong, but most of the planks on the front have have been broken and peeled off, leaving only the ribs. Underneth the dingy though is something surprising.

Curled up in the back half under what's left of the boat appears to be a young woman, unconscious and soaking wet.
    Last edited by Xepher117; 2013-05-12 at 03:01 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Bartos decided to hide the pistol on his person. No need to give their captors another potential weapon. He then walked over to his fellow captives. "May I join in on this talk of rebellion.'Or is this a". His eyes then fall upon the woman. "Well what have we here?"
    Last edited by Shaltenn; 2013-05-12 at 03:27 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Elroy whispers to Troy, "Hold on a moment, is there a person back there?" He then cautiously moves toward the young woman, motioning for Troy to follow if possible. Elroy whispers to Troy, "What do you think we should do? We certainty can't take her to the pirates, that would just be cruel, but we also can't leave her here because the pirates would find her anyways."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

Upon closer inspection, the young woman appears to be no older then her late teens. Her long brown hair is a complete mess, and her clothes are almost rags. As one of you reach forward and gently nudge her, trying to get her to move, her body remains lifeless, but is burning hot to the touch.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Troy is quiet for a moment before speaking quietly. "...I'll make a commotion while you get 'er outta here. She don't look good. A doc'd be the first place I'd take 'er."
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

"Might be a good idea to have another person help with that commotion. One person sneaking off is easier than two.

Bartos glances at the pirate as he continues to struggle with the chest.

"Then again I don't think he is the brightest man I've ever seen."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Alright, I'll take the girl and go find a doctor while you two distract our friend over there. That way I can get away from here and avoid any bloodshed. Elroy picks up the girl and makes his way stealthily away from the pirate and towards the town.

Spoiler
    Show
    Italics mean that it is a thought

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

Elroy's rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Strength: (1d20+0)[16] means a +1 to move silently
    Move Silently: (1d20+7)[11] +1=12

The girl is fairly light to carry and doesn't seem to put a burden on your movement, but the dragging sound of her on the sand has caught the attention of the pirate.

"Huh? Hey!" The pirate looks up from his chest and spots Elroy trying to move the unconscious girl quietly towards the village. "What the hell do you think you're doing?!"

The pirate stands up from his chest and immediately heads over towards you three at the dingy.
    Last edited by Xepher117; 2013-05-12 at 05:33 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quickly thinking of ways to resolve this, most of them leaning towards violent means, Bartos decides he might as well try to end this without risking the girl. He walks to intercept the pirate before he gets to close.

"Just found the person who had the misfortune to have been riding that boat. She obviously has a bad fever and might be contagious. Figure it'd be best to get her to a doctor to make sure she'll be fine. Wouldn't want her dying and Contaminating the local area."

Bartos waves his hand towards the supplies they'd gathered. "I'm sure me and my large friend over here would be quite capable of taking the salvaged goods back ourselves. Hell maybe we could help you bust open that chest so you can have all the loot to yourself, sound good?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

Bartos Roll:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff: (1d20-1)[6]

The pirate takes a few more steps towards you. "Forget it! If she was found here, she goes to the mansion with the Captain. Our doc will look after her!"

His anger quickly grows inside him, his voice shaking through you as he steps forward. "Now, start lugging up the supplies and the boat, and leave the wench here for someone else."
    Last edited by Xepher117; 2013-05-12 at 06:22 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

"Look, bub. You see my arms? I could lift that dingy by myself. She's in no shape to 'wait fer somebody else'. Let me take his share o' the liftin' so you don't have ta explain why there's some dead babe on the beach."
    Spoiler
    Show

Bluff Roll (1d20+3)[17]

Troy leans flexes his arm up to make his point while trying not to draw attention to the sword.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

The pirate gives a quick shake of his head and waves his hand in front of you, tossing your idea aside. "I said leave her! Now put her down and get back to work!"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Elroy suddenly starts running away from the pirate, girl in arms, to find a doctor in town.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Troy lunges out to grab the pirate, hoping to stop him from yelling for help as well.
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+6)[13] Attack roll against touch
    (1d20+6)[17] Defense against AoO
    (1d20+3)[15] Grapple Roll
    Last edited by Batpope Scott; 2013-05-12 at 08:22 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

Crimson Pirate
    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack of Opportunity: (1d20+4)[13]
    Defend Against Melee Touch: (1d20+2)[19]
    Defend Against Grapple: (1d20+0)[15]
    I hope I did this right...
    While you dodged the Pirates AoO and took no damage, the Pirate dodged your grapple

As Elroy bolts off running towards the town, the pirate quickly takes a step towards to begin a chase, but catches Troy's lunge out of the corner of his eye and swings his fist the charging man in reflex.

As the punch easily misses Troy, the pirate still manages to evade the man's arms. "The hell is this?!"
    Last edited by Xepher117; 2013-05-12 at 09:30 PM.