New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Legends of the Player's Handbook (IC)

It is the first day of the new year - and in Torth, this makes it the Festival of the Eleven-Pointed Star, the celebration of the city's founding and time for reflecting on the life of an adventurer.

For the common people, it is a strange sort of holiday. Many of the powerful guild members embark on challenging adventures into the wilderness or nearby ruins. The guilds themselves turn inward, holding celebrations of their patrons' lives, or affirmations of the guild's history.

It leaves the city oddly uncontrolled, as even the guards relax their hold. This topsy-turvy day does not quite have a festival air, but it leaves the city in an unusual state, lawless and poorly guarded. It is, however, according to legend, the safest day of the year - even the gods will go to ground rather than risk running into the bands of adventurers scouring the landscape for miles around.

The heavy adamantine gates of Torth are all but unguarded on this day, wide open to allow any inside and marked only by a few hooded or armored figures apparently relaxing by the door. Heavier crowds than usual are winding their way into the city and to the market - one of the benefits of the day is the ease with which one can find even black-market goods.
    Drew

This is for everyone who squints hard at stuff in the hope they'll spontaneously develop telekinesis.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Legends of the Player's Handbook (IC)

Stobbs took in a deep breath as he looked out at the new targets for his devilishly clever pranks. His mind swirled with so many possibilities for mayhem he did an unconscious wiggle in anticipation. Stobbs simply looked back at his companion Napaj and gave a small yet somehow sinister smile. "Are you ready to have some fun?" he asked in his slightly high pitched voice.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Daveak wanders the streets, taking in the crowds. This is only his second Festival and he still isn't quite sure what to do with himself during the day. As he turns a corner what is clearly an adventuring group rushes past. "Think of all the good they could be doing instead of traipsing through the woods on a lark!" he mutters to himself, even as part of him wishes he was going with them.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Aradin slowly walks into the city. The outer ceiling was devoid of clouds and the Furnace was shining bright today.
    "A good day."
    He mutters under his breath as he walks around trying too see everything that's going on there.

Guilds this thought set him on track As good a way to find a job as any, I suppose... and he starts looking if any (mercenary/adventurer's) guild would accept new members... and if it does, he spends some time on learning about it's reputation. I will not end up a bandit!

“No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

“Plan. Yes. Good idea. I should come up with a plan.”
    ― Steven Brust, Dzur

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

"Do I need to keep both my eyes on you, or can I do some sightseeing too?" Asks Napaj to the question posed by Stobbs.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

VaZarr, disgusted and frustrated by the throngs of people around her, walked adorned in her armor with a great blade on her back and wrapped in her dark cloak.

I. Hate. People. If it wasn't a necessity, I wouldn't be here....but I need money. Alone and broke I can do little.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

As Napaj expertly questioned Stobbs intentions he completely lost himself as he saw perhaps the least happy individual he had ever seen, an Orc that walked near by talking to himself. It was at this time that he decided that this person needed a smile. Moving through the crowd he moved behind the huge man. With a flick of his and a jumble of muttered words he cast a small spell to make it appear and smell as if the man had soiled himself.
    Spoiler
    Show

Prestidigitation two rounds one for soil and one for the smell

He tried to hide in the crowd and observe his target but it was far to funny. He burst out in laughter as soon as he saw the success of his prank.

8. - Top - End - #8

AssassinGuy

The orc pauses, sniffs, looks down, and then glares at Stobbs. Surprisingly, he doesn't make a threat, or launch himself at the spellcaster, but shouts out to the crowd at large.

"Oh, look who thinks he's funny!" he bellows. There's a brief moment as those nearest the orc glance at him, and then at the laughing gnome. "Why aren't you with your guild friends, little gnome, instead of out here harassing innocent civilians?"

"Yeah!" a middle-aged human woman shouts out. "Isn't it bad enough your types lord it over us the rest of the year?

It doesn't take a Sense Motive check to find that the 'joke' is not appreciated, and the crowd, already fairly thick, is turning ugly.
    Drew

This is for everyone who squints hard at stuff in the hope they'll spontaneously develop telekinesis.

9. - Top - End - #9

AssassinGuy

Elsewhere, the would-be adventurers find the guilds and the temples shut and none answering the doors. This is a serious holiday, and one the guilds don't take lightly.

@Vazarr, Aradin, Daveak
    Spoiler
    Show

On a DC 10 Listen check, you hear some commotion in the crowd, probably about a quarter-mile away
    Drew

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Accidental Double post sorry
    Last edited by Doc_Pippin; 2012-11-11 at 06:32 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Stobbs seemingly oblivious to the crowds malcontent continues laughing as he sputters out, "What guild?" His laugh sputters out a little as he begins to notice the foul mood growing. He continues his spell to clean the false soiling and remove the scent. "This town has no sense of humor at all," Stobbs slightly high pitched voice shows no remorse for his 'clearly genius' prank. With that he begins to walk away looking for some support from Napaj, the only one who seems to laugh at his pranks these days.

Spoiler
    Show

I was trying to prank VaZarr but NPC's work too. Stobbs is a equal opportunity prankster

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Doc_Pippin; 2012-11-11 at 06:34 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

"Good one, but perhaps next time you should choose someone not quite as big..." And I continue to walk towards my destination.

13. - Top - End - #13

AssassinGuy

Walking away proves to be much more difficult than anticipated. The crowd has not formed an impassable circle, but the two spellcasters find their way barred by a wide circle of angry people.
    Drew

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

As the people try to impede Stobbs be grows more and more impatient with the crowd. "That was perhaps a harmless prank and I would intend to leave it at that, I ask that you allow me to leave peacefully, the alternative involves a very angry dragon and honestly I do not want to do anything that drastic, especially over a harmless prank." Stobbs demeanor was calm and peaceful, with a hint of anger. Stobbs felt as if he was being blamed for a lot of crimes he had not yet been given the chance to commit. As a precautionary action he took a stance that would give the impression that he was far more powerful a wizard than his stature would insinuate. This was mostly just leaning back with his hands elevated.

Spoiler
    Show

I don't know if you want a bluff role for the 'threat' of the dragon when he does intend to "summon" one as a distraction if need be. Either way the bluff role if needed is.
    (1d20+5)[18]

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

"It was just a joke, no need to be so angry. I always heard this was a good nature'd town that enjoyed making new friends and having fun..."

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+3)[23] for a diplomacy on the crowd.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Listen check
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+0)[14]

Having nothing else to do, as the guilds are closed, Aradin decides to check whats going on, not far away, where there is a commotion in a crowd.
    Last edited by Lexin; 2012-11-11 at 08:25 AM.

“No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

17. - Top - End - #17

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+5)[6]
    (1d20+10)[26]

Napaj's hurried attempt to placate the crowd seems to have no effect on their attitude.

They do seem worried about the gnome's threat, up until one crowd member, a stout half-elf man, shouts, "Oh, if he were that powerful, he'd be out traipsing with a guild! But we know how to deal with mages that walk around like they own the place!" The crowd roars its approval, and the circle grows tight enough that easy escape is not on the table.
    Last edited by appending_doom; 2012-11-11 at 09:31 AM.
    Drew

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Stobbs lets out an exasperated huff, "Again with the guilds, I told you before I'm not of this city, or of your guilds, but have it your way." Stobbs takes a step back, and away from those closest to him before 'summoning' the Great Dragon. He Looks up as if seeing something unexpectedly awesome, A great 'portal' opens some three hundred feet above him. It is roughly sixty feet in diameter and appears to be crackling with dark energies. As Stobbs continues to look up FiddleSticks his long time companion and fellow deviant begins to speak from behind Stobbs his thick Draconic words spill out seemingly from nowhere. As Fiddlesticks speaks so does Stobbs now, also in Draconic. They say "You have been warned, I will bring great destruction down upon you. Flee for your lives or suffer for eternity." repeatedly and only slightly off from each other to make his voice appear otherworldly. The cinematics from the eyes of anyone who actually knew what he was doing were obviously excessive. Also as the words are spilling out the ground around him slowly begins to blacken.

Spoiler
    Show

Silent image and a continuation of the prestidigitation.... ((the next feat of great power will be the class action lawsuit for the hate crimes sure to follow))
    DC 16 if interacted with

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

"Let us alone, for if you do not your flesh will melt, and your hearts will burn. Those that claim to love you will be tested when they hear the news of the magic and wrath I will rain down on you this very day if you choose to not heed my words and leave now. Your children will shudder the next time this festival comes as they are reminded of what happened this very day , to all those who dare to stand against me."

And I ready Burning hands...

20. - Top - End - #20

Hearing a commotion off in the distance VzZar moves to investigate...

Spoiler
    Show

Don't know why I rolled that IC.

Anyway,mwith double moves and a quarter mile to go I'm 14 rounds away.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

As Daveak is brooding in his own thoughts he hears people shouting from somewhere nearby. "Ah! My very own adventure!" he thinks as he begins heading towards the noise as fast as he can

Spoiler
    Show
    Base speed 15 feet... if I double move each round to go a quarter mile takes me 44 rounds!!! "Oh, I'm a cleric I don't need a higher base speed" he said to himself at character creation

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Aradin still goes towards commotion.

Spoiler
    Show

1300 ft (?) / 40 ft (double move) ... 33 rounds ? maybe 31 (if 2 passed already)
    Nice

― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

23. - Top - End - #23

AssassinGuy

Shouts among the crowd cause it to thin, many of the people dispersing. The movement, while rapid, does not appear panicked, but rather purposeful.

The circle around Stobbs does not significantly decrease; there are still close to a dozen people of varying races gathered around them. The half-orc glowers, and behind him, the half-elf squints.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+4)[10]

(1d20+5)[7]

"Ha! Do you know what Rath will do to you when he catches up with you?" the orc snaps back. "Un-aligned mages summoning demons on the Festival Day? Go ahead, bring your worst!"
    Last edited by appending_doom; 2012-11-11 at 11:14 AM.
    Drew

24. - Top - End - #24

AssassinGuy

To anyone who arrives on the scene, this is what is apparent:

A gnome standing beneath a gleaming portal to unknown regions, a hissing creature perched on his back. A young woman stands near him, hands oddly tense, as if preparing to rend something apart with them.

A circle of mostly unarmed creatures, of most of the common races, thinning as other citizens flee the scene, scattering almost purposefully towards some place far from the sight.

To anyone familiar with the city and the Festival, they know no one of any particular skill is nearby to help keep the peace.
    Drew

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Stobbs looked down at the Orc his eyes locked on him. The Portal begins to ripple as a giant Red dragon's head starts pushing though. "I have no wish to bring harm to this city, but if you do not leave me be I assure you I will rain fire upon you and this city. Now.... Leave... Us... Be." In his mind Stobbs began to worry that his small prank was going way to far. He also wondered who this Rath character was and the impending punishment he felt in his bones was incoming, if he was caught.

26. - Top - End - #26

VzZarr

Approaching the mob of people surrounding the unfortunate Spellcaster, VzZarr draws her great blade and shouts in the common tongue, "Begone pitiful cretins!" hoping to disperse the mob with surprise.

Spoiler
    Show

Intimidate(d20+5)[21]How I wish Intimidate was based off of Strength when threatening....

27. - Top - End - #27

VzZarr

Looking at the swirling mass and now emerging Dragons head she attempts to determine the nature of the spell...

Spoiler
    Show

Spellcraft(d20+7)[22]
    Last edited by Zman; 2012-11-11 at 12:06 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Upon arriving at the scene Daveak leaps in fright at the portal. "That creature will tear the city apart..." he thinks to himself, and casts hold person on the conjurer.

Spoiler
    Show
    will save DC 15.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Aradin finally reaches the center of commotion and sees... a Dragon!
    He confidently comes closer to it, draws his axe and prepares the shield.
    "Come at me you foul beast! In the name of Moradin and Whurain clan I swear I will cut off your ugly head!"

Spoiler
    Show

Intimidate: (1d20+6)[20]
    Meant mainly for dragon, but he doesn't like dragon-summoning people neither.

― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

After using the threat on the peasant, Stobbs noticed that he couldn't move. In his mind all he could think of was "Oh... NO...its Rath" Stobbs then concentrated and made the dragon recede into the portal.