New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Team Maaya: The Hawk and the Ox

DM

Gonzou just glares at the girl. "Kill her."

Before Gonzou's goons can move Kyohei turns to Gonzou, and shakes his head. "It is still inadvisable to attack them, sir. We win one way or another, so long as we do not provoke them into battle."

Gonzou growls, but takes Kyohei's advice into consideration. "Talk, or get out of the way." He nods to his guards, and they draw their swords. "You have thirty seconds."

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Momo watches the brief dialogue, and grins humorlessly at the end.

"Thanks. As much as you'd send your men to death if you were to issue that order, I am -against all logic- here for another reason."

She pauses for a second, to build up tension.

"I'm here to simply inform you." Even the humorless grin leaves her expression now, and she looks (and sounds) dead serious.

"Your trusted man, Kyohei. He betrays you. He asked us for a hit on you, gave us your location at the ice rink, and gave us the path you'd take to return home." She holds the paper containing the drawing to her side, and gestures for a goon to take it and return to Gonzou.

"He even misled Min on some pretense that we could attack you unhindered as we now stand." She looks around at the absence of Min, to underline her words. "He said he was just a concerned citizen," she adds with a smirk.

"So, why didn't we go on with it? Well, we all would very much like to have your head, but it seems there is a bigger picture. Kyohei plans to take your place, and our Central knew well enough of the political situation of these places to consent with sending a chuunin to protect you. But from who?" She trails off for a moment there for Gonzou to connect the dots.

"Maybe you would know that. After all, I'm guessing that Kyohei planned this for a long time. Even you, I suppose, would have some weird kind of wits of your own to pick up a hint or two at some point. Heck, wasn't it he that made Matsuta borrow money from you in the first place?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking 10 on Diplomacy for a 27.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2012-10-19 at 06:53 AM.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

DM

Gonzou gaffs at the Uchiha. "Really? Did he tell you this while he was with me at the ice rink? Or while he was following me home after you cheated me out of my prize? This is a pitifully transparent attempt to turn me against Kyohei. Especially since he's made me so much money over the years." The gorilla of a man turns to the younger man. Kyohei just shrugs.

"It is as you said, sir. I've dutifully made you money for years. Several million ryo by now, but that's chump-change. Why would I betray you now, and what would I have to gain?"

Gonzou nods, then turns back to Momo. When she turns over the drawing he looks it over, then shakes his head. "This isn't Kyohei's handwriting." He hands the note over to the younger man, and Kyohei looks it over. He nods in confirmation, then produces a letter from a coat pocket. He gives the letter and the note back to Gonzou, who re-reads them both side by side.

"Haha. This isn't anything alike."

Kyohei himself offers up an explanation for the final point, and the nail in the coffin of Momo's plan. "Yes, I did pressure Matsuta to ruin his life. Because that's a classic two-man con. My boss provides the initial pressure, I appear to relieve it, more pressure comes down, then I call on Matsuta's savior... For a price. Then he's indebted to us for the rest of his life. Why would I ruin a perfectly good con?"

Gonzou snorts. "Kyohei never left my side at the ice rink. He's been with me since your boss threatened my life. Ya, I know you idiots are working for DeGause. You go crawling back to him and tell him I'll kill him on my own time."

Gonzou's clearly not bought Momo's words. She'll need some kind of irrefutable proof to paint Kyohei as a traitor, and some way to reconcile Gonzou's preceptions with the truth.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

"DeGause?" Normally Momo would control her surprise, but this time she lets it show on her face for Gonzou to read.

"So, Kyohei never left your side, did he?" Momo repeats. "Interesting, considering a ninja could do this."

Momo begins a short series of hand seals, and with a puff of smoke, another Momo appears right next to her. Then, she raises a hand, as if to say, "Wait, that's not all," and does one more sign. The clone Momo promptly changes form, and the result is a near-perfect imitation of Kyohei, complete with the crisp suit.

"Oh, and also," Momo continues as if on a tangent, "...did you know why Sora sent a seasoned chuunin like Min to protect you, instead of 'mere' genin like us?" She raises an eyebrow. "It's not because you are a VIP or something, you know. It was because of: Enemy. Ninja. Activity." Again, she leaves the dots between the two arguments to Gonzou to connect.

"Ask Min if you want, if she returns."

Spoiler
    Show
    Tap reserves for 3 more chakra, and channel them into Bunshin, and then Henge. Takes two rounds, I think. Since reserves are below 50% but above 25%, she will be fatigued at the end of this encounter.

I don't know if this counts, but the "DeGause?" part may be interpreted as a queer usage of Bluff. In either case, I wanted to make sure that Gonzou sees Momo's honest reaction to DeGause's name, as she just now hears it. If Bluff ever happens to apply, it's take 10 for a 25.

If Diplomacy, again, happens to apply, it's 27 like the earlier round.

Apart from those, I don't know what applies. Drew 3 chakra, spent 3.

HP: 18/35
    AC: 14
    Pool: 17/27
    Reserves: 3/10

Edit: Pool correction.

Last edited by Cespenar; 2012-10-20 at 03:13 AM.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

DM

Gonzou gaffs at Momo's demonstration. "If he was a ninja! Kyohei's never been to any academy. I've owned him since he was eight years old, so I know he hasn't had any training. You'll need to do better than that to turn me on my own."

Gonzou just smiles at Momo. "But you've tried hard, and that amuses me little girl. I'll let you go, if you get out of the way right now."

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

"Wait, who the heck is DeGause?" Momo says, puzzled, while activating her Sharingan to check on something.

Spoiler
    Show
    Activating Sharingan as an attack action and using a move action to See Chakra with it. Checking the whole group, but mainly Kyohei.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

The sudden change in Momo's eyes cause Gonzou's goons to react by drawing their swords. They seem ready to rush the genin, but Gonzou growls and they stop. The young Uchiha sees that all of them have a faint aura of chakra, except for Kyohei and Gonzou who have moderate levels of chakra. Surprisingly, Azai Emiko has a strong chakra aura.

Gonzou snarls at the Uchiha. "Your time's up. Get out of here girly, and don't try anymore of your ninja magics."

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, my 'ninja magic'," she says, air quoting, "allowed me to see that your so-called daughter is a full-blown ninja, and a pretty strong one at that."

"That is, of course, if she isn't really someone else,"
    she adds, and glares at Azai with a smug smile.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

DM

Gonzou growls. "Yes, yes she is. She has trained since she was a child in order to protect me." Emiko nods, but otherwise says nothing. "How do you think the daughter of a mob boss became a nationally famous ice-skater? It wasn't by spending her days ice-skating."
    Last edited by ZeroNumerous; 2012-10-22 at 08:45 AM.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Momo, after this much struggle to tie things up, work out the big picture, and find an optimal solution, finally sighs. It's a long, drawn out sigh, and with it, Momo's expression seems to change. She can blurt out one sentence before her face becomes an impassive, cold mask.

"I'm sorry then, Emiko-san. But we have to kill your dad to save the lives of four girls and their families."

She turns and nods at Takuya as if to say 'Fire at will'.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move action to step diagonally behind the clone, ready a standard action to use an empowered Gehidama when Takuya uses his jutsu. As far as I can read, damage doesn't help people shrug off genjutsu effects unless it says so in the description, like with sleep effects.

Targeting the centre of 9-10, 7-8, but if the situation changes beforehand, re-target to cover as many targets as possible, closer to her, the better.

HP: 18/35
    AC: 15
    Pool: 16/27
    Reserves: 3/10

Sharingan is active, and eats 1 chakra.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

Upon Momo's declaration, Takuya shifts targets to Emiko. He hadn't had any reason to use this technique before, but he hoped it kept her out of the fight for a little while at least. The rest could be...

Taken care of.

Spoiler
    Show

I have up to 4 targets for my Endless Journey jutsu. Going to target both Gonzou and Emiko with it. Damage doesn't end that fact that if they fail the DC 18 will save, they're stuck wandering the area, lost.

Hit Points: 35/35
    Chakra Pool: 24/42
    Chakra Reserve: 11/11
    Armour Class: 16
    Meta-Chakra Charges: 2/2

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Manabu

Gathering up the families proves easy. Remi's father, Masako's parents and her little sister, Keiji's mom, and Yoko's older brother are all painlessly gathered together with their respective relatives. Manabu heads to the exit according to the plan, but instead of a clear escape he finds Kyohei standing there with a smile on his face. Remi looks toward Kyohei, then starts dashing toward him. "Kyosuke!"

"Kyosuke" just smiles at the songstress, but makes no move toward her. After all, he fully expected Manabu to stop her eventually. Instead, he just waits and watches.

Momo and Takuya

As soon as Takuya starts going through the hand motions both Emiko and Kyohei split up and dash opposite directions. Takuya can catch either Emiko, Gonzou, or Kyohei but not two or more of them with his technique.

Regardless of the results, Momo's technique goes off. The flames wrap around Gonzou, but he survives the fire. Immediately he shouts for his men. "Kill her!" But before his men can move Kyohei draws and throws a knife into Gonzou's back. The surprise attack hits Gonzou square between the shoulder-blades, and the gorilla in a suit falls to his knees. The betrayal surprises all the men there, as well as Emiko. Kyohei straightens up, and looks to the grunts then to the sky-nin. Momo's explosive fire technique kills several of the grunts, and the others immediately surrender.

"Kill them all and I'll call off the hunt on those girls."

Spoiler
    Show
    Gonzou's Reflex Save: (1d20+2)[18]. If he fails, then he drops to -4 and is dead for all intents and purposes.

Takuya needs to select a new target for his technique.
    Last edited by ZeroNumerous; 2012-10-23 at 03:47 PM.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Manabu grits his teeth and dashes in front of Remi, drawing his blade. "What are you doing here Kyohei? Shouldn't you be distracting Min right now?" He holds the blade underhand, keeping the edge facing the man in the way. His other hand is in the air behind him, holding it up to ward Remi back.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Manabu

Kyosuke shrugs. "I'm here to make sure Remi gets out okay. And I did distract Min. She'll be busy for a good long while." Remi stops when Manabu raises his sword, and looks at the young boy with an incredulous gaze.

"Manabu-chan! Don't wave a sword at Kyosuke. He's not a bad guy."

15. - Top - End - #285
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Manabu tries to think. Why was Remi calling him Kyosuke? This made no sense. "This is the man you were dating? I know him by a different name." He looks back at Remi. "As Kyohei, serving under Gonzou."

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Manabu

Kyosuke shrugs. "You're both right. I am Takano Kyosuke, the twin brother of Takano Kyohei, who is unfortunately Gonzou's manservant." Kyosuke twists his mouth when he says the last word, and then looks to Remi. "Those earrings. They were a gift from me as a congratulations present for passing High School. That's why you couldn't bear to throw them away, even after I distanced myself from you."

Remi sniffles loudly, and Masako steps forward to yell at the well-dressed boy. "You *******! Hey, Manabu! Kick this guy's ass for making Remi cry!"

Kyosuke shakes his head, but doesn't pull his hands out of his pockets. "I had to. Gonzou would have noticed the two-man con if I had shown my face near Remi, and the plan to get him killed wouldn't have worked."

17. - Top - End - #287
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Manabu nods his head slowly. It made sense, in a weird way. "Then am I to presume you are the enemy ninja activity that brought Min into protecting Gonzou?" Manabu doesn't sheathe the blade, but he does relax his stance somewhat. He keeps his eyes on Kyosuke and sticks his free hand in his belt pouch. He wraps a hand around the iron wire contained within and waits.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

Manabu

The teenager shakes his head. "Nope, sorry. I've been real quiet and careful, so I dunno who that is. I only provided the impetus to hire your group. After all, we needed you to kill Gonzou without implicating Kyohei."

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

"Answer me this then: Why are you here now?" Manabu didn't relax his grip on the wire or the blade. Something felt wrong. But he couldn't put his finger on it.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

Manabu

The older boy facepalms. "Didn't I just say...? I'm here to make sure Remi gets out of town okay. If your friends don't follow through with killing Gonzou, or worse... Leave witnesses, then this entire escapade was pointless. I don't want her to get hurt, so I'm here to do what you can't: Protect her."
    Last edited by ZeroNumerous; 2012-10-23 at 08:40 PM.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

That riled Manabu's fur. Or it would if he had any. "And just what makes you think I am incapable of protecting her? I'm certainly more than capable of fending off any half-rate thugs or ex-boyfriends that would threaten her." That feeling certainly didn't fade. If anything Kyosuke made Manabu want to fight.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

Manabu

Kyosuke just shrugs. "If you say so. I'm still here to cover for her, no matter what."

23. - Top - End - #293
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

"Well there is still plenty of time left to wait." Manabu releases his wire and sheathes his blade, Relaxing slightly more. "Everyone get comfy, we'll be here for a bit at least." Manabu stands and practices hand signs, working his way through various techniques partway and then changing to others.

Spoiler
    Show
    Readied action to use Denpo no Jutsu if someone makes a threatening move towards us.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

Momo gazes at the burning henchmen with a grimace, spares a brief second at the rest, and finally turns to Kyohei.

"Why?" she asks. "How can you promise to call off the hunt if you couldn't command them?" she says, pointing to the already surrendered bunch.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

Momo

"Don't be foolish. They're witnesses, and their existence threatens my place. The old mafia is all about honor above reason, and if they find out I murdered Gonzou then I won't have any power. And that means the hunt remains as it is. Kill them and stop wasting time."

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

"What's foolish was you blowing cover at the last second and killing Gonzou. We could very well end him ourselves, and you would come out completely clean. These deaths are on your hands as well as mine - don't you forget that."

With that, she takes a deep breath, grits her teeth, and breathes fire one last time to finish the job.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

Momo and Takuya

Momo and Takuya together could effortlessly slaughter the guards, and while a few try to run they're easily overtaken and killed. Once the genin -- as well as Maaya -- regroup with Kyohei the older boy takes stock of the situation.

"I would like to have come away from this situation without blood on my hands, but I'm used to being dirty." Emiko looks at the young man with a somber look on her face, and he looks at her with a soft expression. "All the same. You did a good thing. I'll assume control over Gonzou's company, and root out the rot that would want to chase down Remi. Of course, I'll also produce their next few records. Legitimately, naturally."

Kyohei adjusts his clothing, then looks to Momo. "Just be sure to stay out of town for awhile." Emiko and Kyohei leave unless stopped by the genin.

Maaya just looks at the two genin and shrugs. "Well, lets regroup."

---

Manabu

Kyosuke and Remi sit down near the entrance of an alley-way and talk. They don't seem to talk about anything important as they discuss Remi's schooling, Kyosuke's suit, the band's latest song in the works, and Keiji's attempts to keep his secret. After several minutes with no sign of the enemy, or the rest of Team Maaya, Kyosuke stands up from his sitting position. He looks at Remi, sighs, then shakes his head. "I've gotta go babe. This'll be the last time you see me." Remi looks confused, and Kyosuke explains without prompting. "For the ruse to work, then Kyohei has to be all alone. If they see me around town, then they'll think I'm him. And people will get wise." Remi opens her mouth to object, but Kyosuke just places a finger on his own lips as if to shush her. "Take care of yourself now."

With that said, the suit-clad young man starts to walk out of town. He waves goodbye over his shoulder, and leaves without further comment unless stopped.

---

DM

The two groups regroup at the city's exit.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

"So, are we done yet? This whole debacle has left a horrible taste in my mouth." You're sounding like a whiny kid, Takuya.

I AM a whiny kid.

Oh, carry on then.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

"Tell me about it," Momo replies, and throws a tired look at Maaya to see if they are indeed done.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

DM

Maaya just looks down at Momo and shrugs. "We've still got a three days here, but what more do you want to do?"