New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Team Maaya: The Hawk and the Ox

Momo gets closer to Remi and whispers very softly as not to make it heard to the meathead.

"Don't worry. Technically, if it comes to that, our contract to protect you will take priority over a mere handshake agreement. You (and your band) will not be sold to that guy. Trust us."
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2012-09-06 at 12:18 AM.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Manabu glares at Masako. "Who do you think I am? Do you think I ask this lightly? This is a decision that will literally be the rest of your lives. To make a decision for someone else... That's horrific." He shakes he head. "To agree to his terms without consulting all of you, I wouldn't be able to live with myself."

Manabu turns to Remi. "Remi, as much as you might think otherwise, you are the center of the band. It's like a flower arrangement, you pick one center flower and organise the rest around it to be as beautiful as possible." He thought the reference was a perfect one for the situation. "Do you really think Gonzou would be denied what he wanted just because one of you said no? Without the studio, none of you could practice anyway. No one would be able to get away from here." He looked her in the eye.

"Do you think that if I thought for one second I could fail this, that I would even consider it?"

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

DM

Remi looks a bit sad, but nods at what Manabu says anyway. "I suppose you're right. Then, I guess, I'll do it if everyone else agrees."

Keiji and Yoko just look at one another, shrug, then simultaneously answer. "If Remi wants to do it, then what choice do we have?" All four band members have now agreed, and it's now up to Manabu to decide on whether to go through with it or not.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Manabu nods and heads back inside the building. "Everyone has agreed. 36 hours to postpone your bid and allow me time to gather money. Should I fail, they've agreed to your terms." Manabu extended his hand.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

No, no, no, this was all wrong. Takuya should have figured his first job wasn't going to be all that easy. But this was stupid. Gonzou was violating every single principle Takuya liked to believe he had stood for. And instead of doing something to aid his team, he had sat idly by. He had been trying to find some way to end all this conflict legally.

That last word was a distinct problem. Legal. Even with Manabu's deal, they had only bought 36 hours. And chances were Gonzou wouldn't include the 200,000 with the rest of the money. Takuya only had enough for himself, so he was useless in that regard.

Unless...

Yes, that might work. His teammates needed to be on board with something illegal. They needed to be on board with either grand theft or cold blooded murder.

Oh, THAT was going to be a sale. While he had the time, he pulled out a notecard and wrote something down. He folded it and handed it to Momo detailing his two ideas.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

DM

Gonzou smirks. "Alright then. Manager. I'd like to put down 5 million for the building!" He motions for one of his men, and the goon provides the manager with a bank note. "Good luck little boy."

Spoiler
    Show
    Gonzou increases his bid to a DC of 39.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Manabu's mouth drops open. "You can't do that! that's not what we agreed to!" He reached back and seized the grip to his blade.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stopping there to give others the chance to stop me if they wish.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

DM

Gonzou gives the boy a wide smile. "Our agreement was that I would withdraw my bid for thirty-six hours. I didn't say anything about my bid staying where it was at."

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Momo is suddenly at Manabu's side, putting a hand over the hand gripping the weapon. She doesn't exert force, though, not yet. The touch would suffice in this case.

"Never mind him. We can still do it," she mumbles.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

DM

Unless attacked Gonzou gaffs at the young boy then leaves. He seems quite secure in his victory, and the girls look quite dejected when they come back into the building. They've clearly seen Gonzou leave, and seem to have resigned themselves to prostitution(and death, in the case of Keiji).

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

"Why shouldn't I? He's become a legitimate threat to the safety of our client." Manabu says, not releasing his grip. "Our job is to eliminate threats." He turned to look up at Momo. "He can't even try to play fair. Why should I?"

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

"Because we are more than just gangsters with an extra card or two up our sleeves," Momo retorts, keeping her hand in place, but still not forcing it.

"At least, we should aim to look that way," she continues but with a whisper, loud enough only for Manabu to hear. A smirk appears and vanishes on her face.

Assuming the boy doesn't push it further, Momo suddenly parts herself from him and turns to the Queens.

"Hey, why are you all sulking for? He will get the money. We will all pitch in. And even if Gonzou could somehow outsmart us about the deal," she says with a tone as if talking about flying pigs, "...our contract still takes precedence. You lot won't be forced into anything. He will go down either way." She speaks in such a matter-of-factly tone that it is disconcerting. Clearly she knows something that they don't.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking 10 in Bluff for a 20. Probably needless, but anyway.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2012-09-09 at 06:03 AM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

The girls(and Keiji) smile at Momo's words of encouragement. It seems all that's left is to gather the money and prepare.

Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone gets 1,000 xp for coming up with an original idea to defeating this scenario, and 250 xp for story completion. Really, good job, I had not planned at all for someone to just buy the place.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

DM

The next day and a half comes and goes without event. There aren't anymore groups of thick-necked gorillas following Remi around, there aren't any sudden ambushes by smelly street vendors selling sausages, nor are there any events requiring your direct intervention. Remi goes through the days with her head held high and her spirits up. Your mere presence keeps the seedier elements away, but Remi herself still reaches out to all the people she knew. Ultimately, the last day and a half had probably been the most peaceful time you've had in Sunomou. Well, as peaceful as one can be when fights break out in the streets at all hours of the day, ladies of the evening are plying their trade in the alley out back, and drunken idiots shout half-baked love songs to the local hookers.

On the day of the meeting, Gonzou arrives just ten minutes before the full 36 hours elapse. He brings Kyohei with him, and the boy gives the genin the same cold disinterested look he gave them when they met at the restaurant. He smugly awaits the results of Manabu's expedition for money. He remains cool and calm as the genin counts out his money. Each stack of cash going higher and higher represents the rising anger of the mob boss, and he finally explodes when Manabu places the last 200,000 on the table.

"What are you worthless bastards doing?! Kill them! We'll work things out on our own!" Gonzou berates his men as he demands the genin's heads, but a single voice of dissent speaks out from Gonzou's camp.

"Sir. They are under contract. It would be extremely dangerous to anger Soragakure by killing any of their ninjas." The voice belongs to Kyohei. One sole voice of reason stands as a block to the orgy of violence that would likely leave Gonzou and all of his men dead. "It would be extremely unwise to kill them. We'll simply reinvent elsewhere. You know how bands are: They'll be out of favor in a month."

Gonzou just glares at the genin present. He seems like he'd much rather be trying to kill you than allowing Kyohei to talk.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Momo stands a couple feet behind Manabu, arms crossed and with a serious expression on her face. This was a pleasant surprise from the potential bloodbath she expected when she first observed Gonzou and his gorillas, but the situation wasn't completely defused, not yet. This was the breaking point, actually. The cards were played, the opponent lost, and now it was all about whether he would flip the table or not.

Momo's body tenses, her legs very, very slowly spreading to assume a battle stance, and with a very brief burst of chakra, her eyes develop the signature black-over-red pattern of the Uchiha bloodline. When she speaks, though, her voice is casual, with a hint of comedy.

"The kid is smart. I suggest you listen to him now at the end, as you have done in the beginning."

Spoiler
    Show
    Activating Sharingan and concentrating on it to See Chakra on Kyohei, just for the kicks.

Also, 27 Diplomacy, 25 Intimidate. Choose the one the situation is relevant to.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Manabu stood with an unnatural rigidity. He kept his face as clear of emotion as possible as he counted out the enourmous sum of money on the table. "What? Are you surprised that I gathered the money as I said I would? You really must not be very smart to realise that a ninja does not say things lightly." He glared at the muscle-bound gorilla. "I wouldn't let you beat me at this just because you changed the rules."

He kept his arms behind his back as he spoke. "Did you just not take me seriously because of my age?" Momo would obviously be able to see his hands clench into tight fists. "I would have to agree with Kyohei though. You would be an imbecile to assault us. Of course, you did think to challange me after I made a clear statement, so I suppose you are."

Spoiler
    Show
    I am clearly trying to bait him into attacking. I have another plan.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

DM

Kyohei nods slightly at Momo's assessment. It's almost as if he's agreeing to her assessment, and thus his own involvement in the entire charade, without actually saying anything. The young man just looks at Manabu with his dispassionate gaze as the younger boy tries to goad Gonzou into doing something stupid. "Sir. They're children. It would look terribly uncouth for us to be seen killing them. Especially after having lost to them. We would look like sore losers, sir." Kyohei stresses the words almost like he's goading Gonzou himself, but the big man doesn't act.

Instead Gonzou smirks at Kyohei's words, and shrugs the tension out of his shoulders. "You're right Kyohei. I'm disappointed I only got one of the two brothers working for me. I bet the two of you together would have made me lord over this worthless country." With that said, Gonzou storms out with his goons in tow. Kyohei, on the other hand, lags behind a little. He stops, turns to the genin with his same dispassionate gaze, and speaks to them calmly.

"I had truly hoped you would kill him. He'll be going to see his daughter ice-skate tonight. That would be a good chance." The dark-haired pretty boy leaves without further conversation. He has no interest in answering their questions, and even less interest in petty small talk with a bunch of dangerous ninja.
    Last edited by ZeroNumerous; 2012-09-10 at 02:44 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

"What are you doing, Manabu?" Momo hisses between her teeth, stretching out the words.

But then, things turn out fine.

Huh.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2012-09-10 at 02:48 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Manabu turned to Momo and the girls after Gonzou and his group had left. "See? I told you everything was going to be alright. You can always trust me when I say something." His serious expression broke out into that infectious grin of youth. "I really thought he was going to try and kill me for a second. Who wants to get some ice cream?" Manabu paid Momo's words no attention. Or, seemingly did anyway.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Momo looks frustrated for a moment, reaches back... and throws a mock punch at Manabu's shoulder. A grin breaks out on her face as well.

"Ice cream? Can you even afford one now?" she says mockingly.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Manabu rolls his eyes. "I think I've spent enought money today, don't you? I was hoping you'd treat us." He gave Momo the sad puppy face.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

DM

Remi hops up and down at the mention of ice cream. "Yay! Ice cream, ice cream, ice cream!" She hugs Momo from behind, and shouts. "Thank you Momo-chan!"

The others just face palm, then Masako grins at the little guy. "You really had us worried there. Next time I come this close to losing my dreams, at least give me a stiff drink first."

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

"There was never anything to be worried about." Manabu stuck his tongue out. "You guys go on ahead. I'll finish ironing things out with Ex-manager here."

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Momo grins again and hugs Remi back with one arm from her awkward position.

"Okay, but don't plan something new on the way," she says half-jokingly to Manabu, and leads the group to the nearest place they can grab a cone.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Manabu grins and waves the girls off. He waits till everyone leaves, and a few moments after before turning around to face the ex-manager of the Queens of Flowers. "Care to try and reason why I shouldn't beat you to a pulp?" He asks solemnly. "Maybe Gonzou threatened you to sell?" He asked stepping back over tot he table. "Please, do tell."

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

DM

Maaya stays with Manabu, but warns Momo(and Takuya if he goes with her) about staying on their toes.

Momo

The group heads outside and Yoko leads the way to the nearest ice cream place. Unfortunately there's nothing like Tsumaki Sweets from back home, and the nearest ice cream shop is just a tall cart parked on a street corner. The proprietor seems to be a young girl wearing extremely short hip-hugging pants, and an equally short and equally tight tank-top. She's standing in front of the cart rather than inside due to her state of dress, but does her best to hawk ice cream anyway.

The girl charges Momo for five ice cream bars, but hands over six. The last, and free, one went to Remi. "I hear you're finally making it big. Well, this one's on the house."

Before the group gets a chance to seriously enjoy their ice cream the sky-nin notice a group of four burly looking men moving toward them very quickly. Each one has a makeshift club--either a thick pipe, metal bar, or wooden stick--in his hands, and they seem intent on seriously harming somebody. The ice cream vendor notices them too, and immediately closes up shop. She starts pulling her cart away as quickly as she can. Unfortunately for the genin the band members don't notice anything.

Spoiler
    Show

Legend:
    Dark brown- Building walls
    Brown- Road
    Dark Gray- Civilians. Treated as hostiles who make no Attacks of Opportunity, but their squares cannot be passed through.
    Yellow- Thugs
    Pink- Queens(R = Remi, K = Keiji, Yo = Yoko, M = Masako)
    Dark Red- Momo

Thugs act on initiative 8+1=9.

Queens act on Momo's initiative.

The four thugs are 50ft away from the group right now. Remi and Masako are in high heels, and thus can't take Run actions. They can make double moves though, but each double move will require balance checks from them. And neither one has a terribly good Balance modifier.

Manabu

Maaya just looks at the little boy. "Other than the fact that it's morally reprehensible? And illegal?"

The manager's up in his office, counting his money and signing the deed over to Manabu. But shortly after the girls, and Keiji, leave someone kicks the door in. Four burly men in loose fitting civilian clothes burst into the main lobby of the studio. Each one carries a thin bottle with a flaming rag in it, and it's not hard to tell that they're molotov cocktails. Each man hurls his incendiary weapon into the lobby. Soon the stage, the backroom, and several areas in the studio are awash in rapidly spreading flame.

Unfortunately all the sky-nin were in the back talking to the manager. Maaya looks toward Manabu, and frowns. "You need to get out of here kiddo. Even fire can catch ninja, you know?" Meanwhile, the manager is appropriately freaking out. He's clearly useless in a crisis, and will have to be babysat in order to survive the whole ordeal.

Spoiler
    Show

Legend:
    Super Dark Brown: The Stage. Moving from the floor to the Stage costs an additional 5 feet of movement. Moving across the stage is as per normal movement.
    Brown: The floor
    Dark Brown: The walls
    Red: Fire. Deals 1d6 fire damage if you attempt to cross the square it's in. DC 15 Reflex Save negates the damage.
    Yellow: Thugs
    Dark Green: Manabu
    Purple: Maaya
    Blue: Takuya, if he's here.
    Pink: The manager

The thugs are acting on initiative count: (1d20+2)[21]. They spend their surprise round making attacks against the building with their molotovs.
    Last edited by ZeroNumerous; 2012-09-11 at 04:43 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Manabu scoffs. "Illegal, I'll give you. Morally? Not so much." He doesn't say any more on that unless pressed.

He is angry about the arsonists, but rather unsurprised. "I knew that scumbag couldn't be trusted." He concentrated chakra to the bottom of his feet, turned and stepped out of the room. "I'd like to protect my investment, you wouldn't happen to know any suiton jutsu, would you?" He stepped up onto the wall and came around the corner. "Why are you pricks burning down my studio?!"

[spoiler]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hit Points: 37/37
    Chakra Pool: 37/38
    Chakra Reserve: 18/18
    Armour Class: 13
    Meta-Chakra Charges: 0/0
    Ongoing Effects: Kinobori: 49 rounds remaining

Spoiler
    Show

Activate Kinobori, auto succede
    Chakra Cost: 1

Walk up wall and over to 11-8

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+1)[4]

"Oh, absolutely wonderful." NOW, I'm pissed. I'm going to beat those thugs into pulp. But first, the fire right in front of me. Can't have that going. Unfortunately, he only had one technique that didn't require a source of water nearby. He made the appropriate hand signs and hoped he didn't break the floor.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hit Points: 35/35
    Chakra Pool: 38/42
    Chakra Reserve: 11/11
    Armour Class: 16
    Meta-Chakra Charges: 2/2

Activating Kaihoudan (Pressure Cannon). Going to aim for the conjunction of the four squares to put out the fire. If I can't do that, then as much as I can. And if I need the attack roll (1d20+4)[12]

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Noticing the burly men, a grim scowl falls into Momo's otherwise graceful features, and she turns to the Queens.

"Girls, you might want to take off your heels," she says to them, gesturing at the oncoming gangsters if any of them looks inquiringly at her.

"Wait here, but run if I fall. Don't go to Remi's house, though, they might look for you there as well. "

With that, she breaks off of them and takes a couple of steps towards the approaching threat. What she was about to do might not be very tactful, but she didn't care. They had their chance at resolving this diplomatically.

"Oh, and also," she says, turning back to the girls one more time. "Look away for a second."

"Gehidama no Jutsu!" A deep breath, and blazing flames.

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving 10 ft. south, and using Godai Taigeki: Sandan Jutsu on the gangsters. The range is just about enough I think, and the radius can envelop all four of them. Auto-success on the Perform.

Empowering the Jutsu to make it deal 5d6 fire damage, Reflex half, DC 17. I believe I can't empower it any further than that, right?

Anyway.

HP: 35/35
    AC: 14
    Pool: 15/22
    Reserve: 11/11

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Momo

Remi and Masako obey Momo's orders to take off their shoes. Keiji seems a bit confused, and he almost asks Momo about what she means. But it all becomes painfully obvious when the genin spits a ball of flame at the enemy.

The thugs attempt to roll out of the way, but Momo's powerful flames scorch all of them. The flames roar for a split second, then burn out to reveal four still-smoking slightly charred corpses remaining. All four of them had burnt to death under the intense heat of Momo's technique.

Immediately townspeople start running for their lives, and even the band is taken aback by the brutality of Momo's reprisal. Masako and Keiji look at the young girl with a hint of fear blunting their gazes, and even Yoko seems to regard Momo with a bit more suspicion. Only Remi's eyes haven't changed, and the young songstress just sighs. She wipes her forehead with her ratty jacket, and in the process almost hits herself in the face with her shoes.

"Phew. I was worried."

"W-were those bad guys?"

"Of course! Momo-chan wouldn't kill random people you know?"

Masako and Keiji breathe a sigh of relief, and seem to regain some of the trust they had originally placed in Momo. Remi looks over to the genin. "Um... What about the studio?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Momo gets 400 XP for killing the thugs.

Manabu & Takuya

Maaya looks at Manabu. "Sorry, no. Wind and Fire."

All four thugs immediately bolt out the door when Manabu makes an appearance. They clearly don't want to mess with ninja, and running away seemed the most likely way to extend their lives. The fires they've started spread further, and soon large swathes of the floor are covered in flames. Takuya's Water Cannon technique can put out large blocks of flames, but can't put out the fire fast enough.

Maaya heads toward the entrance as the flames spread further. "Come on kids! We gotta get out of here."

Spoiler
    Show
    Originally, I intended to have the thugs fight, but then I realized something... They're in a burning building. Why would they stay?

Either way, the thugs run so the "encounter" has been defeated. Takuya and Manabu gain 400 XP.