New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [nWoD] Campus Vigilantes 2: Halloween

OOC thread

Maxwell College, RPG Club room
    October 25, 10:30 AM

It was one of the last warm, sunny days of the season; were it not for the brown leaves all over the ground and the looming mid-term exams, it would feel like September. The brave defenders of Maxwell were taking it easy for once, passing the time in their headquarters in the basement of one of the student dorms. All classes had been cancelled for the day and campus security had been strengthened in anticipation for the rare visit of the Governor of Illinois, who was supposed to arrive in half an hour. If anybody wanted to cause trouble, this was not the best day for it.

Today was almost the second anniversary of one of the worst tragedies in the history of Maxwell - the school shooting that students remembered as the Halloween Massacre. It was also the inauguration of the memorial to the four students who had died in it. The unveiling was originally supposed to take place on October 31, the day of the killing, but today was the day the Governor had time in his schedule to come in person and pronounce a speech in front of the media.

Almost two years ago, at the school's yearly Halloween party, a student wearing a Nixon mask and draped in an American flag had pulled a handgun and begun firing into the costumed crowd at random, causing panic and confusion. The rampage ended with four students dead and eight injured. Among the casualties was the gunman himself, one Ian Keating, who blew his brains out in the restrooms after the deed.

The inevitable media circus blamed the usual suspects: the Second Amendment, video games, rock music, politicians, teachers, social rejection, economic inequalities, incompetent psychiatrists, the divorce of Ian's parents four years prior, religion, secularism, liberals, conservatives... No one managed to conclusively make sense of it, as the perpetrator had no history of violence or mental illness. Out of respect for the deceased, last year's Halloween party was tacitly cancelled.

Two years later, Maxwell University was finally starting to heal. One of the most obvious signs of that healing was the large poster that had been pinned on every bulletin board of the school, including the one in the RPG Club's room:

Spoiler
    Show
    Return of the Halloween party!

We, at the Sigma Kappa Phi society, believe it is time for one of Maxwell's most cherished traditions to make a comeback after a one-year hiatus. Everyone is invited! Extra security will be provided.

Where? Tyler Hall, main room
    When? October 31, at 8 PM
    How much? $10 if you're in disguise, $20 otherwise.

For more information, email me at [email protected].

(Needless to say, it would be in bad taste to wear a Nixon mask.)

Zach Lewis was the wealthy, hard-partying, womanizing head of the Sigma Kappa Phi fraternity. He had been a student at Maxwell for longer than many doctoral students and still did not have a degree to show for it, but he did not seem to care. Given that he was himself a survivor of the Halloween Massacre, his decision to bring back the Halloween party was hard to criticize; if even he could move on, so could everyone else.

The inauguration of the memorial by the Governor was set to begin at 11 AM. Many students and faculty staff were converging towards the still-veiled monument, near the center of the campus. The media were already there, waiting patiently.

OOC note:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Alright, I'll give the characters some time to discuss before we get into any serious plot.

I already told Savior Indra about the Halloween massacre to help him with his background; we decided that Kale's girlfriend was among the victims. I was originally supposed to mention the massacre in the recruitment thread, but the Aurora massacre happened shortly before I was to open recruitment, so I decided it could wait for a bit. (And now there's been yet another shooting rampage, this time in Wisconsin... *sigh*)

You're free to add the Halloween Massacre to your character's background if they were present in it.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2012-08-05 at 04:48 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: [nWoD] Campus Vigilantes 2: Halloween

Jonah is sitting in the corner of the RPG club room, idly reading a small book. He's sitting in one chair, and has his feet propped up in another, leaving his lanky form stretched out. He's clad in plain black pants, a white shirt, black vest, and plain black shoes. Some people would call him a hipster. He'd call himself a scholar, and then call them an idiot.

The scholar is currently skimming through a collection of Gothic short stories, idly doing research for both a paper, and his new extracurricular activities. He had no intentions of attending the governor's speech. He didn't really care much about it, and the idea of standing or sitting with hundreds of other people held absolutely zero appeal to the shy introvert. He'd much rather spend his afternoon sitting in his little corner, avoiding people.

He didn't mind the RPG club, though. They all seemed pretty cool. Introductions had been kinda awkward, though. He'd just quietly walked in, said hi, briefly introduced himself, and quickly found his corner. He'd muttered some stuff about liking DnD and Star Wars. He'd wasn't sure how to mention of his real interests, or why he had decided to really join in the club. A little bird had told him that this club had... other interests... besides RPGs. But he didn't know who to actually talk to about that, or even how to bring it up. One does not normally just walk up to somebody and say 'yo dawg, I heard you like to shoot vampires with silver bullets. Wanna go with me to melt down some cutlery into buckshot, then get somebody to baptize and bless it?'

But it hadn't been long before they'd struck up conversation with Jonah about the club's real interests. Jonah had been a bit hesitant to tell the whole truth. He'd just said some stuff about having a bit of experience with the paranormal, and that he'd been pointed in the direction of this club by a 'benefactor.' Nobody had to know he was a member of Ashwood Abbey. Granted, none of them probably knew what it was, but still. Loose lips sink ships, or in this case, probably get you fed to a werewolf.

At any rate, for the time being Jonah perfectly content in his corner, reading about vampires and contemplating whether baptized buckshot would actually work. He'd have to ask his professor about that tomorrow...
    Last edited by Lycan 01; 2012-08-05 at 06:22 PM.
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Semira sits on the floor in a circle of review notes, twirling a pencil in one hand. She's been rereading the same page in a heavy textbook for several minutes. Finally, she grimaces and closes the book with a dull thump. "I can't take any more. Having an exam the day after a holiday is bullsh:t. With any luck everyone will be hungover and the curve will be generous."

Sem stands up and stretches, cracking her back. "Who's planning to go to the SKP party? I wouldn't be comfortable there if it's all, ah, 'bros' and nobody I know."
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Leon lounged in one of the chairs, his feet up on another that he had dragged over. His head is down on his chest, his eyes closed, and he would seem to be sleeping to anyone who didn't know him. To those around him, however, it was perfectly obvious that he was awake and cognizant of what was going on. "We should probably have at least an honor guard there. Think about it, everyone disguised, probably drunk, lots of music, lots of bodies, loud, dark. Just Rasputin's was, and that was a feeding ground for bloodsuckers. I mean, yeah, we took two of 'em out and closed the place down, but I know there were others." Leon righted himself and looked at the rest of the group. "Did I tell all of you about the autopsy results? I tell you, vampires are weird. Most of the myths about them are wrong, too. Silver does jack-all, same with running water and UV light. There's something about pure sunlight that does 'em in quick. Burns 'em to a bizarre, greasy ash. Same with fire."
    Quote Originally Posted by CN the Logos View Post
    They're just there, and horribly fatal when one stumbles across them, like self-aware landmines.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Adam was, until the book was dropped, lightly napping on a couch against the wall. He usually tends to nap in the club room, so as to avoid traveling. His archery practice and classes aren't scheduled in the best way.
    He snaps awake at the thump and shakes his head to ward off sleep, "Half the myths out there they probably started themselves. I always preferred stake-and-bake. It's easy and quick."

He yawns and sits back up, stretching his neck, "I was gonna go. I have a costume, or I can play eye-in-the-sky. Whatever."
    -Odentin

Quote Originally Posted by Skype
    Odentin: Wait. Weren't we going to stop off in the capital and murder the emperor?
    Bladecutter: We might as well, it's on the way.
    GM: "We might was well" has never been used in that way!
    Bladecutter: Well, we really don't like him...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Kale sat at the table, the lower half of his face hidden by his armored hand. His brow furrowed in concentration as his glazed over, lost in the memories of the past. His katana rested on the table in front of him, the blade gleaming like ice, as his free hand slowly and carefully polished any stains from it.

Two years. It had been just two years; and yet, it felt like a hundred. If he hadn't thrown himself into his... work, Kale was sure he would've gone insane by now. Satisfied with his care for the blade, Kale reverently slid it back into it's sheath.

"Doesn't matter, cut off their head, beat them hard enough, they go down just like anyone else. Semira, I don't think I'm going tonight. Not really in the mood. I might go out on patrol though. Bound to be some scum out tonight, human or otherwise."
    Last edited by savior indra; 2012-08-05 at 11:52 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Semira nods, then starts stuffing her notes into a messenger bag leaning against the wall. "Leon, have you tried one of those therapy lamps? Shining UV light in someone's eyes won't increase their serotonin levels, but sunlight or a full-spectrum lamp will. Maybe normal levels of serotonin are poisonous to the things."

She cracks her knuckles against the mopey face on the front of the textbook, then drops it in the bag as well. "Anyway, if we're working tonight I'm happy to be bait. Though I've been too busy reading about the history of stupid neurasthenia, which isn't even a thing, to work out a costume."

Semira runs a finger along the hem of her camouflage-patterned skirt. It's completely impractical, of course. Makes her stand out more than jeans would. Which means... "I've got a tank top that matches this. Screw it, I'll go as a soldier. Camo face paint should count as being in disguise, right?"
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jaime looked up from the book she was reading, having mostly ignored the discussion about vampires in favour of finishing the chapter on the phony war. She closed the book just as they were finishing the discussion on Serotonin.

“I was planning to be there anyway,” she commented in the matter of fact tone that had won her few friends. “Depending on how terrible it actually is it might make it into my next opinion piece. Although I was less preparing less for vampires more for the usual despicable frat behaviour, compounded with tactless humour about the shootings. Still I'll be there, I actually had a Lady Sybil costume prepared for last year, before I heard about the shootings. It will be nice to actually get to use it.”
    Last edited by McGonigle; 2012-08-06 at 04:45 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9

"I hadn't thought of a therapy lamp, no. It's a moot point at the moment, though, as I don't have one, neither do the labs, and I'm out of tissue samples anyway." Leon leans back once more, resuming his prior position. "I could probably pull together a Dr. Stein costume before the party."
    They're just there, and horribly fatal when one stumbles across them, like self-aware landmines.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Jonah shrugs, continuing to read his book. "Parties aren't really my thing..." he idly observes. "Especially frat parties. Not really the best place for a guy like me." He pauses his reading to sweep a few locks of messy brown hair out of his eyes. "As for vampires... Um..." he mutters, falling quiet. "I, uh, don't have much direct experience. Well, unless you count that ghoul. Does that count? Um..." he shifts awkwardly.

He then lowers his book, and looks over at Leon. "But, uh, I do know another trick. Besides UV light, I mean. You're right, silver and garlic, stuff like that doesn't work. But I've found some pretty reliable sources... They say fire works. Fire works good," he states. A small smile forms on his face. This was something he could talk about comfortably. He was in his element here. "It burns them worse than humans, according to some of the websites. One of my more reliable sources says they're terrified of it. Like, makes them totally frantic. But yeah, if you can catch one on fire, it ain't a pretty sight. I actually found this one video, where..." he pauses, and realizes he's starting to rant. Shutting up would probably be a good idea.

"Uh, nevermind," he mutters with a sheepish smile. "Long story, you don't want to hear it. But yeah, fire totally works. On vampires. Don't know about werewolves and stuff..." he says with a shrug, before concealing his face with his book once again.

11. - Top - End - #11

"You're talking to a guy who dissected two of the bloodsuckers. Fire sends 'em up like flash paper. Damn near caught my sleeve on fire testing that one. As for ghouls, I'm not entirely sure what those are. Lesser vamps? Or do you mean humans that are addicted to vampire blood? The ones we took down had some people with them. Totally enslaved to the vampires' will, and absolutely addicted to the blood. Speaking of which, the blood's weird as hell, too. Black, thick, it's more like some foul ichor than actual blood. I'm not sure how they move it through their bodies, though, because the hearts were atrophied as all get out. I can't speak for any animate reactions the things might have, because I didn't have any animate subjects to study."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Jonah doesn't look up from behind his book. "Yes. Enslaved human. Ghoul is... commonly accepted term," he mutters. Leon's reaction seemed to imply Jonah had been stating the obvious, and made himself look like an idiot. Great. Back to H. P. Lovecraft, before he says anything else stupid.

13. - Top - End - #13

"One thing that I couldn't figure out: are there any serious withdrawal effects to partial ghouldom? One of the vampires we took down at the beginning of the semester had partially enslaved a hostage. I was able to harvest a decent amount of the black blood from the bodies, but we're running low and we've been concerned about what might happen if she were to suddenly be cut off from a supply."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

"Oh well it depends on how long they've been a ghoul," Jonah offhandedly remarks as he turns the page. "Typically the ghoul just loses the perks that come with such a station in life. Extra resilience, immunity to aging, et cetera... all gone. If they've only been a ghoul a few months, there shouldn't be a problem. If they've been a ghoul for a century or something..." he pauses to lower his book and arch an eyebrow. "You've seen Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, right? That bit where the guy drinks from the wrong cup and ages a bazillion years in three seconds? Yeah, something like that will happen."

He then goes back to reading, before lowering the book three seconds later and deadpanning: "Wait... what was that about cutting someone off?"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Semira winces. "Karen still drinks that stuff? If she doesn't get off it, she'll try to find a new source, and that will not end well. I don't want her selling us out to a blood-drinker."

16. - Top - End - #16

"I've been rationing her doses, but at this point she's got maybe a week left of it. If there are no major withdrawal symptoms, I can water it down and ween her off. So that's a bit of good news."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Jonah lets out a small sigh, and raises his right hand to massage his brow. "Um... How often have you been giving it to her? Because, erm, certain sources indicate that it takes, uh... about a month for the withdrawal effects to kick in," he says with a sheepish smile. He hated to be the bearer of bad news. "So, while the may psychologically need it within a few days, she can physically go without for a month."

Jonah's first quarry with the Abbey had been a ghoul. He'd done ample research into them before the hunt, using everything from Inquisitorial guidebooks from the 1500's to various underground Hunter websites. After the successful hunt, the other members of the Abbey had caught him up to speed. Much of what he'd researched and learned had actually been true, but there were plenty of blanks to fill in. And firsthand accounts from the senior Hunters had been rather eye-opening. Though he probably could have done without the stories and jokes about strapping ghouls to a table with a jar of vampire blood in front of them, and watching them go crazy with hunger... for weeks on end. And then giving them the blood - whether they wanted it or not - the moment the ghoulification wore off, so the process could begin anew.

Jonah shuddered involuntarily at the thought of it all.

18. - Top - End - #18

"A month from the last dose before withdrawal kicks in? Even better."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

"Before the withdrawal physically kicks in," Jonah warns him, raising the book back up in front of his face. "Mentally, that's a different story. She may be fine for a few weeks, or she may flip out after a few days. That information, I'm afraid, I don't have. It probably depends on the strength of her resolve. But... considering some of the stories I've heard, you may want to prepare for trouble after she misses her normal dose, just to be safe..." he mutters.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

"Seratonin? Doubt it. Their blood doesn't pump, and sunlight burns their skin. Outside in, not the other way around."

Adam leans back again and yawns, "Kale, I'll join you on patrol tonight. Just wake me up, alright?"

Without waiting for a reply, he lays his head back and begins dozing.
    -Odentin

Quote Originally Posted by Skype
    Odentin: Wait. Weren't we going to stop off in the capital and murder the emperor?
    Bladecutter: We might as well, it's on the way.
    GM: "We might was well" has never been used in that way!
    Bladecutter: Well, we really don't like him...

21. - Top - End - #21

AssassinGuy

Kale nods as he tested how the sap gloves fitted on his hands clenching and unclenching his fists and throwing mock jabs until he was satisfied with them. He then slid a knife into the concealed holster of his left boot and another into the holster of his right foot. Two knives in holsters on his lower back, and another knife strapped to his right forearm. He rotated his body checking to see if the knives were secured properly, when he was satisfied Kale looked around.

"Anyone else want to come along for patrol? We should probably have three on patrol. Two in my Gallardo for reconnaissance and backup while I go in the shadows."

22. - Top - End - #22

Leon cracks one eye open, focusing it on Kale. "I'll pass. What's with all the knives?"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Jonah looks up from his book. "I don't know how useful I'd be on a physical patrol. But I can be on the line with you, and feed you information. Directions, news reports, potential identities for whatever creepy-crawlies you find, stuff like that," he shrugs.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

She sat silent as they were discussing the addiction, part of her wanted to quip up about some statistics she had pulled for a recent discussion on the topic. Yet she understood how little she really knew on the subject, and while that was better than being unknowingly incompetent in theory it still left her with a queasy feeling listening to them talk about an addiction to blood of all things.

The knives weren’t much better to be honest she couldn’t help watching with a strange fascination as Kale slid the knives into various holsters. She still wasn’t used to this club and she had to keep quashing the little voice inside her that kept starting on the bullet points she had prepared for a debate against the second amendment. It probably counted as a reasonable exception, but still she wished there was a way to oppose the horrors of the night that didn’t seem so illegal and bordering on the immoral.

“Depending on how long these chapters take me to finish I might go do some advanced recon on the Tyler Hall, tonight. I’m not particularly familiar with it, and if something does go south I would prefer if everyone knew the layout.” She finally spoke up again. "If I catch anything on the news that doesn't add up I'll ring Jonah." The last bit was refering to the fact even before last summer she had been following the news excessively, now she was just listening for something different.

25. - Top - End - #25

AssassinGuy

Kale smiled a little as he looked at Leon.

"Never hurts to be prepared. I've had to use them all more than once. I usually try to subdue with non-lethal force and if that doesn't work then I resort to lethal. If you guys aren't comfortable with me carrying them I'll leave them and the katana behind. If anyone asks I'll just say I'm dressed for Halloween as a ninja. Jonah that sounds good, I'll have my HUD Contacts on, just send me emails and I'll get them. I'll have a wireless headset on as well if you want to talk."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Semira shrugs. "Sure, I'll tag along. Might not want to get too close to the memorial, though, in case the governor's security staff is antsy." She's reasonably sure that American politicians' bodyguards do not, as a rule, shoot armed people on sight. But she certainly doesn't want to give them a reason to.
    Last edited by SurlySeraph; 2012-08-07 at 02:17 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

AssassinGuy

Kale leaned back in his seat his hands behind his head. He forced himself to relax, it was never good to go into action stiff, it generally ended with you getting yourself injured or killed.

"Don't worry about that, they won't see me coming if we need to get that close. But I was going to focus on patrolling around the party tonight. Vampires are bound to be in there or around it, easy feeding."

28. - Top - End - #28

Leon's eye slides shut once more. "That being what I said 10 minutes ago. Though the party's not tonight; it's in 5 days. Speaking of things today, though, the governor's speech is pretty soon. Anyone gonna bother going? Preferably not carrying a half-dozen felonies and reasons for our club to be investigated and shut down?"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

"Kale, think you could handle looking around with no backup? It's not like anything's very likely to be going on. I wasn't here when the shooting happened and no one seems to discuss it much, so I'm curious about what the Governor will say. And especially about how the audience will react."

Plus I might get good material for my social psych essay out of it, Semira thinks, knowing how callous it would sound to say so out loud. But with that damn Historical Psych quiz tomorrow, the big party on the 31st, the Historical Psych midterm on the 1st, Karen running out of blood the day after that if not sooner... it's going to be a very long week. Planning ahead is the best way to make sure she won't be frantically searching for something to write about next Thursday.

Besides, she'd much rather do her research in a crowd at noon than alone at midnight. Fewer things that gorge on raw flesh around, less likely for any that are around to select her.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

"Meh," Jonah shrugs. "I'm not big on crowds. Governor's just gonna be all 'bla bla bla unity and community and vote for me next election,' anyway. If he's got anything really important to say, I'll hear about it from somebody else over the next few days. Besides..." he pauses to turn the page of his book, before smirking and stating: "I'm busy studying."