New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [nWoD] Campus Vigilantes 2: Halloween

Adam obliges, tossing the can underhand to the hacker as he restates his question, "Find anything?"
    -Odentin

Quote Originally Posted by Skype
    Odentin: Wait. Weren't we going to stop off in the capital and murder the emperor?
    Bladecutter: We might as well, it's on the way.
    GM: "We might was well" has never been used in that way!
    Bladecutter: Well, we really don't like him...

2. - Top - End - #122
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jaime had to admit she was amused that people thought she was ruthless enough to have done the vandalism herself. Still she had spent enough time at this memorial, it was pointless filiming it if she didn't have the time to put it together, and there was no way she was going to let someone else take the glory of editing it together.

Just as she was getting close to the doors she suddenly had a thought, about the 'RPG' club she hadn't really said a word to any of them since, and while she wanted at least 2 degrees of separation from Kale's investigation. She should check in with the others, especially since she was sure they would get involved so sent the same text to Leon and Jonah.

“I'm looking over the footage at the moment in C421, how is your investigation going?”

Jaime only slowed down when she had reached one of the smaller computer rooms, that the newspaper had managed to get permission to install some video editing software on. It took the lights a few minutes to flicker on as she entered and she selected the seat nearest the window, both to make advantage of the slim natural light and because it was the only place in the room with half reliable signal.

Still before she started the task of editing together the footage she had an e-mail to send off, she wasn't quite willing to stoop to desecrating a monument but that didn't mean she wasn't above creating news articles. Journalistic integrity wasn't really her strong point, even more since she had joined the vigilantes.

Email addressed to the secretary of Mr Thompson
    Dear Mr Thompson

I was wondering if it might be possible to be informed when the police have finished the investigation of the monument and restoration can begin. I firmly believe that it would be possible to put together a community work group from student societies to at remove the spray paint from the statues.

As well as saving the cost of hiring professionals, I dealing with this as a community effort would give a positive outlet for those offended by the horrendous act. As well it would be good publicity for the university and a boost to campus moral.

Yours sincerely
    Jaime,
    Maxwell Feminist Society

Spoiler
    Show
    not really expecting a reply from the Principal's office any time soon but putting the dice roll in anyway.(7d10)[10][4][5][5][1][8][9](42) Man+Per +BN
    (2d10)[9][3](12)
    Last edited by McGonigle; 2012-08-15 at 01:57 PM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

Leon's phone buzzes again just before he reaches the RPG club headquarters. He checks it, sighs, and quickly types out a response. Not really an investigation, but Allison's doing fine. I don't think she had anything to do with the memorial, she seemed just as disgusted as anyone else there. Well, almost anyone else. He hits send as he steps into the club. "Hey guys, so Allison isn't connected to the vandalism at the memorial, and she doesn't think whoever did it has any plans for the Halloween party. I still think we should have people there, just in case, but-- Oh hey! Matt's finally here! These guys fill you in on what happened? And how's everyone holding up?" His eyes fall on everyone present in turn as he speaks.
    Quote Originally Posted by CN the Logos View Post
    They're just there, and horribly fatal when one stumbles across them, like self-aware landmines.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Jonah shrugs and takes an offered cup of fancy wine from Kale. "Thanks..." he nods, before taking a ginger sip. "Hm. Not bad..." he muses. Wine wasn't really his thing. Alcohol in general wasn't really his thing. Slowed the mind, dulled the senses... and for some odd reason, it made his ears itch.

When he gets Semira's text, he fires back a simple: "On it."

When Adam asks if he's found anything, Jonah groans. "Nothing concrete. A missing parrot and a crazy homeless guy, but I sincerely doubt those have anything to do with our dude, even remotely. Semira just sent me a list of folks who bought flowers at a local store yesterday, though. I might be able to pull something off of it. Maybe. Hopefully. Probably not..." he grumbles.

And then he gets a text from Jaime, asking the same thing. Jonah sighs, not really feeling like repeating himself, even over text. So he replies with a simple yet informative text: "I got squat. Still working, though."

"Alright..." he mutters, looking at the picture(s) Semira sent him. "Let's see, looks like most of these folks bought bunches of roses. No single white ones. BUT, it's possible that they bought a bunch to throw off suspicion," he ponders aloud. "Lemme see what I can dig up."

Jonah then begins to do research on the people who bought white roses. College enrollment, criminal records, connections to Ian, et cetera.

Spoiler
    Show

Secret roll again, I assume?
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Adam finishes his cup and sits down on the couch where he was napping earlier, "Was anyone in the club two years ago? When the shooting happened? It was investigated, right? Was there anything supernatural about it?"

Adam hadn't joined the club until a month or so afterwards, when he and the group crossed paths on a mutual hunt. If the original shooting spree had been investigated, he knows not about it.
    -Odentin

Odentin: Wait. Weren't we going to stop off in the capital and murder the emperor?

6. - Top - End - #126

Leon shakes his head. "I joined up middle of last year, after I saw that... thing... when I got back from Christmas break."
    They're just there, and horribly fatal when one stumbles across them, like self-aware landmines.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

"I just joined like a week ago," Jonah shrugs. "I wasn't enrolled here at the time, either."

8. - Top - End - #128
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Kale poured himself another cup as he finished his first one. He knew that he shouldn't drink much more but he really didn't care at the moment. The whole memorial affair had left a bad taste in his mouth and the alcohol was washing it out.

"I was around during that time but... I didn't pay much attention. I was too busy making funeral arrangements with Sophia's parents. Didn't really talk to anyone other than them for a month or two after it happened." said Kale as he drank deeply from the cup.

Kale paused in thought for a second as an idea came to him. It wasn't a very pleasant one but it was worth mentioning.

"Humor me a second. Do we know if Ian Keating have any connection to Zach Lewis? Zach organized the last party, and he's organizing this one. He would have knowledge about any blind spots his 'security' had and allowed Ian to get in without getting caught."

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Adam nods, "So, is there any way to figure out if there was supernatural influence that night?"
    -Odentin

10. - Top - End - #130

"I doubt it. Allison might know if her brother knew Zach, but it's entirely possible that he had walled her out completely. I suppose I can ask the next time I see her, but I don't really want to bring up a potentially painful subject." Turning to Adam, he adds, "I doubt it. The closest thing to 'records' this club has had for my whole time with the group is the charter, and the occasional proposal for a "club-sanctioned activity," like Christian taking the others paintballing. Outside of that, unless someone is keeping a journal, there aren't any records of our hunts that I'm aware of."

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Adam furrows his brow, "Data should still exist, though, right? News, police reports, that kind of $hit? I just want to know if we might be dealing with mind control or glamour or something..."

He frowns and gets up to see if he can get any more wine...
    -Odentin

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Jaime

Quote Originally Posted by McGonigle View Post
    Email addressed to the secretary of Mr Thompson
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dear Mr Thompson

I was wondering if it might be possible to be informed when the police have finished the investigation of the monument and restoration can begin. I firmly believe that it would be possible to put together a community work group from student societies to at remove the spray paint from the statues.

As well as saving the cost of hiring professionals, I dealing with this as a community effort would give a positive outlet for those offended by the horrendous act. As well it would be good publicity for the university and a boost to campus moral.

Yours sincerely
    Jaime,
    Maxwell Feminist Society
    Dear Mrs Aaron,

The school wholeheartedly welcomes any volunteer help to restore the monument, as the harm this highly-publicized act caused to the reputation of our establishment is difficult to overstate. Professional assistance will still be required to repair or replace the pillar dedicated to Gavin Wade, but removal of the paint can begin now.

Unfortunately, we cannot have the police conduct a full investigation for a mere case of vandalism, no matter how despicable; as you well know, the officers in this neighborhood are already spread thin. We are mostly counting on a confession or testimony. The board will discuss a reward for any information leading directly to the perpetrator.

Sincerely,
    Owen Thompson
    Principal

Jonah

One of the six white rose buyers, Samuel Burton, was a former Maxwell student who had been friends with Nathan Rosenberg, one of the victims. Elizabeth Wade turned out to be Gavin's grandmother, and there was little reason to suspect either her or Sophia's father. The other three buyers proved hard to track down; how to tell the customer called James Adams apart from the other 41 people with the same name in the Chicago phone book? All in all, none of the people on the list stood out as a likely suspect.

Of course, the list did not include people who had paid in cash, or gone to any other florist.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2012-08-15 at 06:08 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Orc in the Playground

Patrick flicked through his books. He wasn't sure if any of these things were possible. He wasn't even sure the vandalism was a result of supernatural means.

"Alot of these rituals are applicable. I'm wondering if Ian could posess somebody and do these things himself."

He flicked to a creepy page on posession. While he never saw a possession, his mentor swore that plenty of supernatural beings had methods of controlling bodies and minds.

"Kale is right, Zach is the person in the best position to let a massacre happen. Like I said earlier we should try and match those two dots."

Patrick looked at Kale drinking his expensive alcohol. He wondered if Kale was okay to drive. Patrick stood up and threw his bag on his back.

"Could someone to drive me to the place where Ian rests. If he's buried in a public cemetery, I want to check out his grave and find evidence of any rituals being performed. Most rituals in my book require a piece of the person in question, bones, hair, blood, stuff like that."
    Amazing profile picture drawn by my wife.

14. - Top - End - #134

"Do we even know where he's buried? For all we know it could be the opposite side of the country. ...Or he could have been cremated." Leon drops his gaze momentarily. "I... may be able to get in touch with someone who knows ghosts and stuff better than we do. It's... what, 1 o'clock here? I'll give him a call around 5 o'clock our time, see if he's willing to help."

15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jaime was multitasking, and taking up two computers, although in the unlikely event this tiny dark room looked close to filling up she could apologise and log off one of them. Part of her was doing the first listen though of the video, jotting down the times when the interesting bits were happening, and occasionally pausing an making notes. It wasn't going as quickly as it could do but on the other hand it wasn't dragging out like it normally did.

On the other computer she was reading though the research materials she had collected on the shootings, but this time instead of concentrating on who would she should approach about requests to film, and which of them would be likely to express strong emotional responses (or at least had in the past.) Now she was correlating information on the killer, she wasn't quite sure if she was more interested in him, or trying to understand how Alison would have seen him. Still when the recording ran out she was still busy looking at articles and jotting notes down.

It was then she realised that the office had been far more rapid in getting back to her than she expected, trust Maxwell to be efficient only when the promise of free labour was involved. Still it would be an impressive gesture, ignoring how good an article it would make, if she sent it off right it could make the local papers.

She pulled out the phone and sent a text to the President of the feminist society.
    “Hey it's Jaime, I was wondering if it would be possible to send out an e-mail to the rest of the feminist society. I was planning to volunteer to help remove the misogynistic graffiti on the monument, and I wanted to see if any other members would be willing to help.”

Not bothering to wait for a response she started drafting an e-mail:

“By now most of you have probably heard of the vandalism of the monument, another insult to those who have already been though so much, and a terrible display of prejudice and bigotry.

So I propose we do something about it, a show of solidarity with those who have suffered greatly. A clear sign that the students of Maxwell do not stand for such prejudice and hate. I plan to be at the monument with soap and water at 5:15pm, and while I appreciate it is short notice I would appreciate any assistance.

Help me show that this world can be a better place.”

As long as she got the go ahead to send it to the feminists she planned to e-mail it round a few of the other campaigning societies she occasionally protested with. She also would use the feminists face book account to make an event and do some mass invites, probably link it to some campus groups that were likely to be particularly offended., and nagging some of her 'friendship' group as well in person.

Finally after she had the ball rolling she sent a text to Kale “I was wondering if you might be able to invest in some discreet security camera's for the monument, I'm trying to get together a group to clean it, and lightning actually does sometimes strike the same place twice.”

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm guessing the researching Ian is a secret roll.

Other than using Allies and contacts (Feminist society and Preasure groups) to try to get a group together to clean up the monument
    E-mail with link to face book group: Manipulation +Expression
    Facebook group: Manipulation +Expression + WP (10d10)[1][3][8][3][2][3][2][9][7][8](46)

If she gets a decent group she'll rope someone from the newspaper into take some photos, probably see if someone can arrange for Michelle to be walking past close to the end as well. Then continue doing things like the pod-cast, and writing the coverage of her own protest.
    Last edited by McGonigle; 2012-08-15 at 08:34 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

Since no one else seems to be doing it, Adam pulls his smartphone from his pocket and begins searching for public records about the Massacre. News stories, police records, anything out of the ordinary...

"I really need to invest in a laptop with my next sponsorship check..." he mutters to himself.

((Secret rolls, I presume? Int 3 + Academics 2. -2 for using a phone. 3 dice total...))
    Last edited by Odentin; 2012-08-15 at 08:03 PM.
    -Odentin

17. - Top - End - #137

"How have you been handling your classes without one?"

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

"Pens and paper for notes, computer lab for research papers, and you guys for hunting." he says with a slight grin.
    -Odentin

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

"Nope. Nothing yet..."

Matthew answers as he takes a zip from the can of Mountain Dew

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks to Ian's notoriety, Patrick was able to find the location of his grave on Find A Grave. It was in a small cemetery on the other side of Chicago. Placing it well away from where he had committed his massacre was probably deliberate...

Jaime's call for cleaning up the monument received a favorable response from both the president of the Feminist Society and other students. It did not take long for many volunteers to write back to Jaime, assuring her they would be there. Michelle and Marco were among them.

Adam was easily able to obtain much of the publicly-available information about the massacre, as Kale had done before him:

Quote Originally Posted by -Sentinel- View Post
    The massacre was committed with a Beretta 92 with serial numbers filed off. It started at one end of the dance floor in Tyler Hall near 11 PM and ended two or three minutes later in the restrooms at the other end, where a SWAT team found Ian dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound under the jaw with his Nixon mask and American flag still on. Witnesses reported that Ian was dancing to the music even as he fired at fleeing students...
    The first casualty was Nathan Rosenberg, shot point-blank in the back of the head. Panic started immediately and Michelle was shot in the leg. Gavin Wade threw himself at the shooter, took three bullets to the chest for his attempted heroics, stumbled and never got up again. The other wounded and Sophia Neveux were shot as they fled. The killer spent four full clips and saved his last bullet for himself.

(OOC: Anything more specific you want to know, Odentin?)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

((Crime scene or media photos primarily and a psychological assessment of Ian BEFORE the massacre [not that I believe one exists or would be public record, but he'd search to cover the bases].))

Adam keeps looking, trying to find images, in case the police might have missed something...
    -Odentin

22. - Top - End - #142
    Orc in the Playground

"Can someone drive me to Ian's grave. I'll look for any evidence of rituals around the grave. Anyone who wants to come is welcome to. I don't think I will need to dig up the corpse, but if we do for any reason we'll come back later tonight."

Patrick points at the computer screen, indicating he found the location of Ian's grave. He prepares some of his equipment. Making sure he has everything he needs. He would drop by the maintenance shed later and grab a shovel. Hopefully he wouldn't need it, but he wouldn't know until he saw the extent of any tampering. (if any)
    Amazing profile picture drawn by my wife.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Jonah sighs. "Still got nadda. Nothing useful, at least. Um... Okay, gonna try one more thing."

Jonah then does a quick internet search to see if there are any forums, blogs, chatrooms, or other web sources where Ian has been portrayed in a favorable light. And if there are any dolts out there who are posting supportive information or feedback, he tries to see if he can dig up anything that indicates their proximity or involvement with the college.

Spoiler
    Show

Secret rolls again?

24. - Top - End - #144

"I'd offer to drive you, but my car's back out East. Not much need for a car when you live on campus and your family lives 1500 miles away."

25. - Top - End - #145

AssassinGuy

"If you're willing to wait an hour or two I'll drive you." offered Kale as he corked the bottle of wine and set it aside.

"Besides I need to get away from the campus for a bit anyways."

26. - Top - End - #146

"You sure you'll be okay to drive in just a couple of hours? And that you'll be okay going to Ian's grave?"

27. - Top - End - #147

AssassinGuy

"I've only had two cups of wine. It's not like I'm about to pass out or anything. And I can take a walk while you do your thing. It's bound to be better than staying here."

28. - Top - End - #148

Leon shrugs. "If you say so. Anyone else coming?"

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

Semira slumps through the door, looking as if she was about to fall asleep but was suddenly perked up. "Ian's grave, you said? Sure."
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

30. - Top - End - #150

"Just to be clear, we're not defiling it. We're only looking for, what'd you say, Patrick, signs of tampering?"