New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: [nWoD] Campus Vigilantes 2: Halloween

"That stuff isn't exactly my forte but if you need help I'm free. Also based on the previous couple of Halloween parties do we have a rough idea how many people will show up? And what the ratio of students to security is?" said Kale as he leaned back in his chair drinking more water.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Jonah waves at Kale. "Oh, y'know, chasing my tail on the internet and trying not to throw my phone in frustration. The usual," he shrugs.

"I have an idea, though. I tossed it out earlier, but I don't think Leon heard me. I don't think it'd be a good idea for me to physically be at the party. Rather, what if I pulled something like an 'eye in the sky' sorta role? Maybe one or two of you can have small surveillance cameras on you, and the footage can stream to my computer? If I see something fishy, I can let you know. And if somebody starts crawling on the wall or something, I can tell you what you're probably dealing with, and how to hopefully deal with it."

He pauses, seemingly pondering something for a moment. "Or we could call the cops halfway through the party, and report underage drinking or something. Crazy guy might think twice if a bunch of Blues are on the scene before he has a chance to do anything."
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Adam shakes his head, "People need something to lash out against. You're an easy target. You remember your brother from childhood, and people see that fond remembrance as support for what he did. It's not fair to you..."
    -Odentin

Quote Originally Posted by Skype
    Odentin: Wait. Weren't we going to stop off in the capital and murder the emperor?
    Bladecutter: We might as well, it's on the way.
    GM: "We might was well" has never been used in that way!
    Bladecutter: Well, we really don't like him...

4. - Top - End - #184
    Bugbear in the Playground

"I didn't say anything before for the same reason I didn't bring up Matt's old PVC blunderbuss idea: it's bad. Actually, no, that's not fair, it's good in theory, but in practice, it's not. I see two major issues, right off the bat: 1) You're not likely to see anything we don't, and are arguably less likely to see something than if you were there, and 2) Getting our hands on these cameras, which, given the sudden presence of Kevlar on the table, Kale might be able to work around, so change that to avoiding raising suspicion while we have them. Which brings us to a bit of a Catch-22. If the cameras are good enough to actually let you see what's going on in better detail than we'll be able to, they'll either be too expensive for even Kale to get his hands on, or they'll be really conspicuous and suspicious-looking, and if they're small enough to not arouse suspicion, you probably won't be able to see." Leon actually sits up now, turning and facing the others in the room.

"Frankly, it'd be better to have more people on hand. Zach's e-mail implied that security is going to be pretty light, what with a metal detector at the door and only a single cop, so that means security, short-term, at least, falls to us. We wouldn't have been able to take down Gregory and what's-her-name if someone had been staying behind to play mission control, and I don't trust everything to go according to plan at the party, regardless of if someone's playing mission control or not. More people present means more eyes and ears scanning independently, more rapid response from whoever sees something, speedier transmission of warning, and better containment until the police arrive, assuming it's not something supernatural." He sighs. "Look, if you really think it'd be better for you to stay behind and try to feed us information, then fine. I just think it'd be more useful to have everyone on the field. ...Where'd you get the armor, anyway, Kale?"
    Quote Originally Posted by CN the Logos View Post
    They're just there, and horribly fatal when one stumbles across them, like self-aware landmines.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

" Maybe we could divide ourselves in various groups. One at the doors two inside the party and one at the bathrooms..."

Matthew suggests

6. - Top - End - #186

AssassinGuy

"Black market. Took me awhile to even find these three, and I got lucky. I don't think I'll be able to grab anymore before the party so we should decide who gets them carefully." said Kale.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Odentin View Post
    Adam shakes his head, "People need something to lash out against. You're an easy target. You remember your brother from childhood, and people see that fond remembrance as support for what he did. It's not fair to you..."
    "Can't really complain," said Allison. "I'm the one who chose to remain in Chicago, and even go to Maxwell like my bro. I could have taken the easy way out and fled, like my parents did."

There was sadness in her eyes. "Even they all but disowned me, you know, because of my loyalty. First, they cut off all their links with Ian. They didn't go to his funeral, they barely paid for a halfway decent burial, they moved out of state to escape the public view, and my mother took back her maiden name, something she hadn't even done when she divorced my father. They refused to say any good things about Ian when people tried to interview them. But I kept admitting I loved him, in public, even to the media, and they became ashamed of me. They left me two choices; shut up about Ian, or live by my own means..."

Her voice trailed off. Abruptly, as if to change the subject, she said: "One more chance to regain your honor, okay? One arrow each, and this time you take all the time you need to aim."

She nocked an arrow and aimed for a good fifteen seconds, then loosed.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This time we'll count the Damage ratings. With the max allowed aiming bonus (+5), Allison's dice pool is 14.

(14d10)[5][5][2][5][9][1][6][8][6][10][4][2][7][1](71) - 3 successes.

Any 10s: (5d10)[5][6][5][2][6](24)

The arrow did not hit that far from the center, but Allison pursed her lips. "Meh. Yeah, for the sake of your career, I really hope you can do better."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2012-08-19 at 11:40 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

((Adam gets 19, since he's not using his compound bow, in which he would have 20.))

Adam nods and takes a single arrow, takes a deep breath to center himself, and draws the arrow. He takes his time, bringing the target into the proper sighting and steadying his arm before giving the arrow the final centimeter of draw. The draw gauge snaps against the bow, and Adam instinctively releases the arrow...

(19d10)[2][4][9][8][5][4][4][6][3][6][9][3][5][3][9][8][6][7][2](103) - 5 successes
    Exploding: (5d10)[8][1][3][9][6](27)

...and watches as it lands, a near-perfect center shot, "Heh. Looks like I've still got it."
    Last edited by Odentin; 2012-08-19 at 11:48 PM.
    -Odentin

Odentin: Wait. Weren't we going to stop off in the capital and murder the emperor?

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Allison grinned. "I certainly hope so. Don't worry, I'll tell no one you got beaten by a girl in a speed-shooting contest."

Thankfully, they were alone in the gymnasium right now. Most members of the archery club were still up to their ears in studies and exams and had no time for practice.

"I think I'll go home now." Allison unstrung her bow and retrieved her arrows from the target. "Got to finish an essay for tomorrow and keep that nice line of A's unbroken. Thanks for lending an ear, Adam, I really appreciate that."

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Odentin View Post
    ((I thought max allowed was 3. But hey, I'll take it.
    Oh, quite possible, I don't have my book at hand.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Adam smiles and nods, "Hey, no worries. What are teammates for?"

He takes a moment as he goes to retrieve his own arrows, ""Hey, you've got my number, right? Gimme a call if you ever need to talk, alright?"
    -Odentin

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

Semira opens the door to the RPG club with a spring in her step. "I couldn't find Zach around campus, but I know where he'll be tonight. Which does have an advantage, in that if something more than laziness accounts for his bad security plans there's good odds it'll be laying around his apartment."

She takes a deep breath and adds "I could have a look around while he's asleep. Or, riskier, I could text you the address and make sure the door's unlocked so you can search while he's, um, distracted." Sem makes brief, pleading eye contact with Jaime, as if to say Please don't judge me.

Finally, she adds Anyway, Zach'll be at Skyreach. Kale, you know expensive places a lot better than I do. Could you lend me some money to get an outfit that'll fit in there, and for a cover charge if there is one?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I can give you details of the cameras, but it's more my budget can barely stretch to cover an unexpected bus journey, let alone electronic equipment." Jaime commented, she didn't like mentioning her financial problems, especially in front of Kale. She felt slightly exposed sitting there after saying it, as if everyone was looking at her and judging.

So she was very glad off Semira entering the room. She met Semiras eyes, then after the other woman had finished speaking she piped in. "Guard any drinks you have at the club very carefully, it's a pity its probably too upmarket to drink out of a bottle" She responded her words practiced but the one implied concern rather than judgement.
    Last edited by McGonigle; 2012-08-20 at 03:59 AM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Jonah shrugs. "Alright, I was just tossin' out ideas. I mean, I guess I could try to attend the party, but... uh... No costume?" he smiles meekly. He didn't really know how to explain the whole 'I'm an introvert and I'm terrified of big social situations' thing without looking like an idiot.

14. - Top - End - #194

"There's a costume shop two blocks from campus. We can fix the lack of a costume in 10 minutes, tops. Don't worry, man. It's just a party, we'll all be there, and, with a bit of luck, nothing will go wrong. And if something does, we'll all be there to fix it."
    They're just there, and horribly fatal when one stumbles across them, like self-aware landmines.

15. - Top - End - #195

AssassinGuy

"Sure you should be able to find something that'll get you in for under $300, $500. And Semira, your a girl, more importantly you're attractive. You won't need to pay cover most likely. And if you do just slip the bouncer a $50 and he'll let you in." explained Kale as he stifled a yawn, clearly tired from having searched for kevlar all day.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Adam

“Sure,” said Allison. “See you at the party.”

Humming under her breath, she packed her things and left Adam to train alone.

Everyone

In the late afternoon, the library announced by email that it would close more early on Halloween for security reasons. Like any place with computers, it probably had motion sensors to prevent theft, making it difficult – but not impossible, of course – for a gunman to go through it undetected.

Semira checked her email box often, but IanFan had not responded to her message. Either they sensed a trap, they were not serious about their threats, or they were simply not interested in having an accomplice. It occurred to Semira that, given the fuss caused by the hateful forum posts, she was probably not the first one to contact IanFan.

Semira

John Hanc0ck Center
    October 29, 9:30 PM

Semira swallowed to unplug her ears when the super-fast elevator dinged and opened at the 90th story out of 100 of the John Hanc0ck Center, fourth tallest building in Chicago and sixth tallest in the United States. The Eritrean student was dressed better than she had ever been in her life and had spent nearly two hours putting on makeup. She had noticed the longing gazes men gave her as she made her way through the building, and she knew that even the hard-to-impress Zach would not fail to notice her in a crowd.

The entrance of the Skyreach nightclub, at the end of a short hallway, was guarded by a handsome bouncer in a tuxedo who looked more like a presidential bodyguard than a thug for hire. He smiled politely at her, but as she reached for her wallet, he said:

“You're not a member, are you? Who's inviting you?”

Semira's mouth opened and closed. Nobody had told her the Skyreach was for members and invitees only. She was spared embarrassment when Zach Lewis happened to pass behind the bouncer and recognized her at a glance despite rarely talking to her.

“Oh, Semira!” he said cheerfully. “Come in. No, don't pay from your own pocket. I insist.”

He slipped the bouncer a hundred-dollar bill as if buying a beer, and just like that, Semira was allowed in. The Skyreach took up most of this level and had large windows on three sides. From a height of roughly 1000 feet, the view of the illuminated city was stunning. Soft techno music was playing in the background. Among the fifty or so guests, Semira thought she recognized a few people she had seen on TV and in magazines, mostly actors, singers and athletes. She was surprised by how informally clubgoers were dressed despite the place's steep prices. This was not a club for champagne-sipping CEO's and politicians, but one for rich, idle young people. The insane costs for admittance and drinks were probably meant to keep out any uncool wannabes with an income under six figures. People like Semira.

Zach led the international student to his little group of friends and acquaintances, only a few of whom went or had gone to Maxwell. Jamie Price was among them. Semira sank into one of the leather armchairs near a window and somehow found herself with a can of imported beer in her hand with no idea where it had come from. She was greeted with smiles and niceties from most of Zach's friends, but a jealous glare from the tall, sexy brunette sitting next to Zach. The lady, introduced as Kelly, had evidently singled Semira out as a romantic rival. Just to let Semira make no mistake as to who would come back with Zach tonight, she leaned closer to him and cuddled him.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

17. - Top - End - #197
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Trust me social gatherings become a lot more enjoyable when you have something else to do other than seek the approval of the popular and well dressed. I mean after all who cares if they think if you make a social fo par we stop another massacre." She commented with a slight smile.

"Still not saying it might not be tedious and dull, but given the alternative, I'll take that."

18. - Top - End - #198

"Have we figured out what we're doing about being armed? My knife isn't going to get through a metal detector. Unless there's some way of tricking the metal detector. Or whoever's manning it, I suppose."

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

Adam continues practicing for a while longer, specifically for the upcoming invitational. After a while, he packs up and heads back to the RPG room. He checks his watch on the way, a few hours til his late class, and he should probably get some sleep...

Once he arrives, he takes his usual couch and lays his head back, quickly dozing off.
    -Odentin

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ettin in the Playground

Semira answers Kelly with a bemused smile, and winks before she tracks down from Kelly's face to Zach's. Sem crosses her legs and leans back. Zach wouldn't have gotten his reputation if he just sat back and waited for girls to come to him. The thrill of the chase - Kelly's already lost the chance to offer that temptation. Her first mistake.

And that temper may be her second. Semira looks Kelly over with a slight smirk on her lips and then asks "Is it your first time here too?", all sweetness and light.

Semira knows the answer, of course. But making Kelly think she can be mistaken for an ingenue will rile her up, and Semira's too new to the social group for an apparent wrong assumption to make her look bad.
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Semira

Kelly's brow creased with annoyance, but the rich girl quickly recovered and smiled at Semira. A smile of contempt. She had immediately understood that Semira did not belong here, and was determined to drive that point home in front of everyone present.

"No, I'm a platinum member, as we all are here. Poor girl, it must have cost you quite a lot to get in..."

"Actually, I paid for her," said Zach off-handedly, either oblivious to the rivalry or trying to encourage it.

"Ah, that's... nice," said Kelly, her tone almost cold enough to freeze the beer in her hand.

The small group's conversation resumed. Over the course of the evening, Semira played up her outsider status and her innocence, which only irritated her rival further. Kelly's jabs, subtle at first, became increasingly petty and mean-spirited, to the point that Zach stepped in at some point to say: "Come on, Kelly, that wasn't cool." Kelly started to drink more and to lose her composure as Semira got deeper and deeper under her skin. She became increasingly aggressive in her seduction of Zach.

Spoiler
    Show
    Contested seduction roll!

Kelly uses her Presence (3), being the blatant sort. She has Persuasion 4 and the Seduction specialty, like Semira, but her better clothes can't make up for the fact that she's not quite as pretty (Striking Looks 1). And since she's getting irritated and catty because of Semira's exceptional success at annoying her, she suffers -2 to her test. Dice pool: 7 dice. (I'll ignore the suggested equipment such as alluring clothes (+1) and perfume (+1), because both Kelly and Semira have them anyway.)

(7d10)[4][6][5][2][8][9][3](37) - 2 successes. Surely Semira can do better.
    Any 10's: (3d10)[7][6][2](15)
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2012-08-21 at 05:43 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Back at the RPG club, Jonah sighs. "I guess you're right. I can just find a nice quiet corner to hide in, or pretend to be puking in the bathroom," he says with a bemused smirk. "As for a costume... Well, Guy Fawkes or a Plague Doctor could be fun. Gives me a mask, anonymity, and less chance a drunk frat guy will think I'm a hipster and give me crap for it," he grumbles. He may or may not be speaking from experience.

On the subject of weapons, he shrugs. "All I own is a butterfly knife. No way that's getting in there, and even if it did... well, you know what they say about knives in gun fights."

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ettin in the Playground

Sem makes sure to dance within Zach's line of sight whenever possible and lets him come to her, sprinkling in a few innuendos whenever they talk. She has to bite her tongue a couple times to keep from laughing as Kelly gets desperate.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (11d10)[3][4][5][5][3][4][6][6][5][8][5](54)
    Also, especially since stealing someone's guy and making an enemy is likely to count as indulging Greed, I'll spend a Willpower as well. (3d10)[9][4][3](16)
    In case of 10s: (6d10)[9][7][4][1][1][5](27)

EDIT: Damn good thing I spent Willpower. Another roll, or is Zach going to respond to the tie in an excessively frat-boy-ish manner?
    Last edited by SurlySeraph; 2012-08-22 at 01:44 AM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

After dozing for barely a couple of minutes, Adam sits bolt upright, eyes wide, and looks at the others, "I think I might know how to get a bow into the party. If I unstring my competition bow, take off the counterweights and sights and all that, they might let it in."

He shrugs, "No string, can't be used, right? Someone else smuggles in my string and stringer, and I can put it back on inside..."

His face falls once he finishes, though, as if realizing... "Arrows pose a problem, though. Guess I'd only need one, under ideal circumstances, but..."

He trails off, hoping that the others understand his point.
    Last edited by Odentin; 2012-08-22 at 02:54 AM.
    -Odentin

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

" I could fashion some knives out of Bone or wood but i dont think they would be very effective..."

Matthew says shrugging

26. - Top - End - #206

"They'd be better than nothing, and at least we wouldn't be unarmed. How long would that take? Could you have them ready for the party?"

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

(Second seduction roll in the OOC thread.)

Semira

Over the course of the evening, Zach started to lose interest in Kelly as Semira grabbed all his attention. He sat closer to her, laughed more at her jokes and began to brush her "by accident". By midnight, when Zach started to feel like taking Semira to someplace more comfortable, the Eritrean was very glad to go; she was getting tired of these shallow people with nothing useful to do and nothing intelligent to say. Even Jamie Price looked bored by his own friends, but then again, he almost always looked bored. Cheerfully ignoring Kelly's deadly glare, Semira clung to Zach's arm and followed him out of the Skyreach. Jamie left at about the same time, as he had a long day ahead of him to prepare security in Tyler Hall.

Babbling incessantly about his wealth, the Halloween party and all the semi-famous people he knew on a first-name basis, Zach led Semira to his red Mercedes-Benz SLK convertible and drove her to the Trump International Hotel and Tower, the gleaming, majestuous skyscraper on the bank of the Chicago River.

Spoiler
    Show

As they went up to his million-dollar condominium on the 56th floor, Semira realized how impossible it would have been for her friends to infiltrate this place. There were security guards in the lobby and cameras in every hallway and elevator. Zach needed a keycard to get inside his place.

And what a place it was. Situated on a corner of the building, it had windows in two directions, offering an impressive view. Zach showed her every room; the richly furnished living room, the bathroom of white marble with a spa, the dining room, and a lavish bedroom with, of course, an immense bed. The kitchen was conspicuously absent – people like Zach did not cook.

Wasting no time, Semira glued her lips to Zach's and began undoing the buttons of his shirt. To make sure he slept soundly enough for her to search the condo in peace, she first had to tire him out.

It took her nearly two hours.

By the time Zach snored in his bed, Semira was thoroughly exhausted too and had made use of just about every trick she knew (learning a couple more in the process). But now she more or less had the condo to herself.

(OOC: Any specific things you want to look for? Or did you want to ask Zach questions? Tell me if I'm going too fast.)
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2012-08-23 at 10:18 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

28. - Top - End - #208
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Has anyone thought of the other approach, look it might look suspicious if one of the guys walks in with a can of hairspray, but it's something they expect to set of the metal detectors. While also being a reasonable item to take to a haloween party, well not reasonable but there are girls who will, and they will be let in." She smiled and paused, probably from the look of puzzlement on everyone's faces.

"Now it you carefully remove the top of one of them, sellotape a knife to the interior, bluetac the lid back on, and made sure the lid was firmly attached and they are unlikely to find it. The extra weight of the knife won't be as obvious with the liquid removed. Especially if in handbag is large and filled with unnecessary feminine hygiene products."

29. - Top - End - #209

"Certainly a valid option, though that only gets one knife in. Two or more would make the one can suspiciously heavy, and multiple cans would be suspicious as well. Course, my costume has a big, metal screw as a headpiece, so if I can pry the thing open, I might be able to slip my knife in there."

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

"Getting knives in is all well and good, but we're dealing with the possibility of a GUNMAN here. How close are we going to be able to get if someone opens fire and everyone else starts running? We should be talking about how to identify the shooter BEFORE he starts shooting. Maybe check the hall out in case he's stashed a gun somewhere..."
    -Odentin